PDA

View Full Version : TiVo

Exhaust Port
10-27-2003, 12:43 PM
What the heck is this TiVo thing? How does it work? What are the costs associated with it?

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 01:27 PM
What the heck is this TiVo thing? How does it work? What are the costs associated with it?Tell me you are joking.

In fact I know you are because you posted here.
http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19353&highlight=RePlay

Exhaust Port
10-27-2003, 02:15 PM
Well as I said then:

Perhaps as Pendo said, it's time to look into this a bit more.
Ok, Mr. Smarty Pants

How do you assign programs to watch? What types of connections does it use? S-Video? Does it maintain the original sound encoding of broadcast? (say Dolby Surround) Can recorders be upgraded? Can a lifetime membership transfer to a new unit if you upgrade? Does it support HD-TV or digital signals? Does it work with Satelite Sytems? Cable? Digital Cable? Broadcast?

I looked at their website but I couldn't find answers to these questions. I'm not joking and if you don't care to participate then move along. :rolleyes:

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 03:31 PM
:D Hee Hee gotch ya. Was just giving you a hard time there EP. No prob.
The way you worded your question it sounded like you had never heard of it.

Everything you mentioned can be possible depending on the amount you want to spend. The newer ones have progressive scan. As far as transfering your membership from one unit to the next, probably not. Then again policies change. You can upgrade but only the harddrives, as far as I know that is the only thing upgradeable on the unit itself. I have a RePlay so technology can differ. Most people like the ReplayTV better than TiVo because they say the screens are more user friendly. I got mine in early 2001 so it is much older than what is out now. A basic unit you are looking about $600ish. That is with a lifetime membership attatched. Or about $10/month with about $400 for the unit with 40 hours on extended record time. The sound tranfer on my unit seems lesser than the signal probably because I am recording on extended. The qualities go, Extended, Low, Medium, High. High only gets about 10 hours. You can also set up your computer to be a companion to archive as well. That is what my brother has. There are also digital recorder/DVD recorder units as well.

Here is an excellent site so you can compare different units and facts. Enjoy.
http://www.digitalrecorder.com/main/catalog/index.php?cPath=21/?source=goog&kw=replaytv

Exhaust Port
10-27-2003, 10:55 PM
Got me you did. ;)

That's the kind of website I've been looking for. Something that breaks down the different models, features and price. Beautiful, now I just have to photocopy enough money to pay for it. :D

scruffziller
10-28-2003, 04:43 AM
Beautiful, now I just have to photocopy enough money to pay for it. :D
*in Beavis and Butthead voice* Uh-huhuh-huhuh......I can't believe noone has thought of that before.....:D

Got me you did. ;)
Yea, I thought Emperor Howdy broke into your house and decided to make a few posts.:D So thought I would play along.

Hellboy
10-28-2003, 11:43 PM
I highly recommend getting a unit if you're interested. Like scruffziller I have a RePlay TV and love it. I never watch live television anymore because I hate commercials and I never miss an episode of my favorite shows. One of the best audio/video investments I've ever made.

WARNING: You will watch more television as a result so you might want to join a gym first. ;)