PDA

View Full Version : Wal-Mart's bakery cakes are junk.

scruffziller
10-27-2003, 12:44 PM
They taste like processed whipped styrofoam. Cake and frosting.

Kidhuman
10-27-2003, 02:50 PM
Meh I have had better and worse. Got one for the kids B-day and it was ok, nothing to write mom about though.

bobafrett
10-27-2003, 03:43 PM
They taste like processed whipped styrofoam. Cake and frosting.

And you were expecting it to taste great? It was made in a bakery alright, like a bakery in Asia where they use processed whipped styrofoam. So you got what you paid for! ;)

kool-aid killer
10-27-2003, 08:22 PM
I like Walmart doughnuts (specifically sprinkled ones) but i dont recall hating the cake i ate from there. So did you get your cake with a Star Wars design on it?

scruffziller
10-28-2003, 08:14 AM
I like Walmart doughnuts (specifically sprinkled ones) but i dont recall hating the cake i ate from there. So did you get your cake with a Star Wars design on it?
Nope, it was for my Grandparents 80th birthday with pretty little flowers on it.

And you were expecting it to taste great? It was made in a bakery alright, like a bakery in Asia where they use processed whipped styrofoam. So you got what you paid for! ;)
No I thought it was buttercream frosting. And I didn't know it was a WM cake at first. Yea and they do come in frozen into the WM bickery, I know because I have unloaded them before.

mabudonicus
10-28-2003, 08:25 AM
Man, I though this thread would be some kind of sarcastic joke, from the title.....

Is there anything on the packaging that says "harmful if chewed or swallowed"??
Then they could make the cake out of whatever(I have no doubt styrofoam is preferred).....

I sure hope mcdonalds gourmet coffee is better than walmart's fresh-baked cakes:D!!!!!!

InsaneJediGirl
10-28-2003, 08:34 AM
Eh,The cakes are okay.I've tasted much worse:dead:I've discovered having WM put Cherry Filling into the cake,it cuts down on the dryness of the cake mix itself.Still,its not the best tasting in the world.

It could also have been because whatever cake size you bought isnt used much,like a full sheet instead of a half or so.

RooJay
10-28-2003, 01:43 PM
:confused:

Of the four WalMarts in my area, NONE of them have a bakery. This is the first I've heard of this, although I'm certain that if I did happen upon a WalMart with a bakery that I would not be making any pastry purchases there.

scruffziller
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
:confused:

Of the four WalMarts in my area, NONE of them have a bakery. This is the first I've heard of this, although I'm certain that if I did happen upon a WalMart with a bakery that I would not be making any pastry purchases there.Are any of those SuperWM's. Some "SuperWM" don't have them though. There is a SuperWM in Knoxville, IA (25 miles east) of where I live. But it is the same size of our old store with a SuperWM crammed into it. It has everything we have except there is no bakery, deli, Vision Center or Tire Lube Express. Not sure if it has a Pharmacy, probably not. Some SuperWM(Supercenters) have a seperate fish meat market counter. Others have an appliance center and some are getting into used cars. Those are probably the Hypermarts though. As for the pastries, the donuts are real good. Just the whipped frosting and regular cake is bad. Oh and Iowa is home to the smallest WM in the world. The town of Pella which is in the same county as Knoxville, IA about 30 miles NE of it. They even close on Sundays. Because the town won't allow it. A very strict Protestant community.

If you don't have a SuperWM it is because the area you live in will not allow it. I know in the greater Chicago area there is only regular WMs because the JEWEL grocery chain is dominant for that commerce.

James Boba Fettfield
10-29-2003, 10:14 AM
It has everything we have except there is no bakery, deli, Vision Center or Tire Lube Express.

Ewww, a Wal-Mart deli. That idea makes me a bit sick.

scruffziller
10-29-2003, 10:16 AM
Ewww, a Wal-Mart deli. That idea makes me a bit sick.
No way, their fried chicken is excellent, expensive but excellent.

James Boba Fettfield
10-29-2003, 10:19 AM
Do they fry the chicken in the store? Or does the fried chicken come already fried and they just heat it up?

But when I was thinking deli, I was thinking mostly about cold meats and cheeses. I don't know, but buying deli foods like that is what turns me off.

scruffziller
10-29-2003, 10:33 AM
Do they fry the chicken in the store? Or does the fried chicken come already fried and they just heat it up?

But when I was thinking deli, I was thinking mostly about cold meats and cheeses. I don't know, but buying deli foods like that is what turns me off.
Oh yea they have that in there too as part of the deli.
It comes fully cooked, frozen and then they deep fat fry it. You can get livers, gizzards, cheesesticks, burriotos, chunchuros all deep fried. Plus you can get baked beans, patato salad, macoroni salad, tapioca pudding, etc. etc..:D Have a picnic.

2-1B
10-29-2003, 12:17 PM
They're selling used cars now ? :eek:

bobafrett
10-29-2003, 12:25 PM
If you don't have a SuperWM it is because the area you live in will not allow it. I know in the greater Chicago area there is only regular WMs because the JEWEL grocery chain is dominant for that commerce.

So that explains it. I live in the Chicago area, and my son always asks me why we don't have a WM Supercenter anywhere near us. I had always thought it was because of the amount of space, or perhaps a higher cost per square foot of retail selling space. Jewel is unionized, and Wal-Mart to the best of my knowledge, isn't.

BTW, we did have a "Radio Grill" at the store I worked at. The grill was shut down for several weeks because of unhealthy conditions (mice, insects). Also one morning we got a delivery of frozen food, and milk cartons for the radio grill. I came in for my shift that night, and the stuff was still sitting in recieving, by this time the milk had been out of the refrigerated air for 16 hours, aand the frozen food was pretty much wrecked.

scruffziller
10-29-2003, 12:38 PM
I came in for my shift that night, and the stuff was still sitting in recieving, by this time the milk had been out of the refrigerated air for 16 hours, aand the frozen food was pretty much wrecked.
Yea that tends to happen from time to time in my WM.:D
Those silly inept workers......:rolleyes:

Well shoot now, our radio grill has gone to what is called "BUTTERY SOFT."
Which is a combo of a Radio Grill and a thing where you make your own stuffed animal.:rolleyes: THIS ISN'T A MALL PEOPLE!!!!!!:frus: Our community isn't that big for something like that anyway. Plus the radio grill part, has greatly reduced the menu down to Hot Dogs and Pizza are the big menu items WOO HOO!!!!!!
Plus they have this candy store there now too. They did all this stuff to try to start making money. They went from making no money to losing money. *shakes head in disbelief*