PDA

View Full Version : Hoth 4 pack Tauntaun

Val Da Car
10-28-2003, 01:48 PM
I have a question....or story for that matter. I have both the broken horn and full horned (?) tauntaun from the Hoth 4 pack. Is this an actual variation?

I will get pictures up tonight.

Woo Hoo 500th posting!!

bobafrett
10-28-2003, 04:55 PM
I believe one is Han's TaunTaun, the other is Luke's TaunTaun with the broken horn. Just Hasbro's way of taking more money from your pocket.

I'm not going to pick up the second set, since there is just that slkight difference.

Turbowars
10-28-2003, 06:49 PM
To answer your question, I'd say it is a variation. I think Hasbro though some people would like one or the other. It could have been an error, but I doubt it.

Val Da Car
10-31-2003, 09:51 PM
Here is the Hoth sets side by side...I do have close up pics if these are not as clear

Banthaholic
11-08-2003, 08:48 PM
I was able to grab the 2nd version with two complete tusks yesterday.

They actually had both versions on the shelf, although I grabbed the last of Han's Taun.

I actually think it's cool that they made both versions.

If one wanted to they can have an EU Infinity Adventure where Luke managed to fight off the Wampa, but had to cut open his Taun to stay warm for the night, or whatever other adventure one can image.

TheDarthVader
11-08-2003, 10:34 PM
Dang it! I can't find the Han taun taun! I think the Han taun taun is more rare. I already have the one with Luke's taun taun. Which taun taun is packaged with the Luke Skywalker in the old POTF2 Deluxe set? Does Luke's taun taun have a broken horn? If broken, I will have to pick up the other 4 pack...if not, I only need the 4 pack that I have now.

JediTricks
11-09-2003, 04:26 AM
I finally saw a Han Tauntaun version at TRU Glendale the other day, I ended up passing though. It's quite a noticable difference.

jjreason
11-18-2003, 02:42 AM
That's interesting. I was wondering what people meant by this variation - whether or not the broken/complete horn was the only change. It looks by the posted pic that "Han's" variation actually comes with the "blue" looking Tauntaun that came with the POTF Han w Tauntaun set as opposed to a grey one (like the one that came with the POTF Luke and Tauntaun set) with a complete horn. I'll have to see whether or not the blue tauntaun is at my TRU as my Hoth set came with the grey, broken-horned version.

Now, all someone has to do is find a blue, broken-horned version and the fur will really start flying! :D

JediTricks
11-19-2003, 04:02 PM
The paint jobs looked exactly the same when I saw 'em.

jjreason
11-20-2003, 12:22 AM
That's even more interesting, JT. My 4 pack Tauntaun looks identical to my POTF2 one that came with Luke. My Han one (which I only recently got, and keep on display because it took so damn long to find) is quite a bit more blue in colour, and has the unbroken horn. I guess maybe I need to dig out the POTF2 Luke one to make sure it wasn't blue when I got it as well. I don't think it was though.

JediTricks
11-20-2003, 11:13 PM
maybe I just missed the difference.

jjreason
11-29-2003, 01:37 AM
Well, they are all different when looked at together.

Luke POTF - light bluish gray color w broken horn
Han POTF - darker blue, both horns complete
Saga #1 - darker "pure" gray, better paint detail on feet, split belly , broken horn
Saga #2 - sounds like (based on JT's post) the same as Saga #1, but with the other horn complete.

Im not breaking my leg over this variation, that's for sure. Glad to have all my Tauntauns out and together for the first time though, so thanks for the thread! :D

Val Da Car
12-02-2003, 04:22 PM
No problem....I can't wait to have a place to put stuff out at my house...(ONCE it is done being built)

Turbowars
12-10-2003, 05:49 PM
I finally found han's version last Saturday. I was ready to walk out without it, but I talked myself into it. Hasbro has me so hooked that I need a fix every week. I probably should lay off the crack pipe and stick to SW.:crazed:

AmanaMatt
12-18-2003, 09:46 AM
I finally found han's version last Saturday. I was ready to walk out without it, but I talked myself into it. Hasbro has me so hooked that I need a fix every week. I probably should lay off the crack pipe and stick to SW.:crazed:

I think you will be glad you did buy this; I scored this set a bit ago with Han's tauntaun, and with the very different deco, this does compliment the POTF2 Luke Tauntaun nicely.

bobafrett
12-19-2003, 12:34 PM
I have the Luke TaunTaun version, and a friend of mine might be getting me the version with Han's TaunTaun in it. I'd be stoked, cause I don't see any use in dishing out more of my money to get this minor change. Maybe I should go to crack, it's probably cheaper than the Star Wars habit. J/K, I would never do something like that, Star Wars gives me a natural high, and Hasbros my dealer!

skeeziks22
01-05-2004, 11:53 AM
So there is one advantage to living in Alaska... by the time I hear about variants/erros I used to not be able to find them in stores in the mid-west... however, since things get here slower I go to the stores and they are either new there, or haven't even made it yet.

That said, the TRU in town has nothing BUT the Han TaunTaun version of this four pack. I picked up the four pack the first time I saw them at TRU and it was the Luke version. I saw about 40 Han versions now.

I am guessing that they changed it somewhere and are now shipping the Han version... which, if you think about makes more sense for the four pack. Even though Han is not in there, the guts for the TaunTaun are... on film the only one we see getting the "Open Belly" treatment is Han's TaunTaun. Luke's get's eaten by the Wampa.

BTW are these "guts" a re-color of the Acklay guts?

Turbowars
01-05-2004, 02:36 PM
BTW are these "guts" a re-color of the Acklay guts?Yes they are and the Acklay's guts were purple.