PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Hasbro's offerings now?

Tycho
10-28-2003, 07:41 PM
We have:

Army Builder 3-packs

Screen Scenes that pretty much give you all-new, never-made-before figures

Characters from Jabba's Palace we'd never had before like the Elom and Rappertunnie

New droids like R1-G4 that we've always wanted

Political leaders like Imp Dignitary, Bail Organna, Riekeen, Dodonna, more

Deluxe Figures with accessories like the Wampa Cave and Escape Pod

Super-articulated figures like the upcoming Luke Jedi, and a clonetrooper

Unleashed characters picked from the Classics, like Han Solo and Chewbacca

More Ewoks

Vehicles like the Hailfire Droid, Geonosian Fighter, and a full-size EU fighter

Re-releases of the harder to find ones like the AAT tank, and the Gunship being kept on the shelves for X-mas

Re-released figures, like the best of Han, Leia, Darth Maul, Jango Fett, etc., so that production is not all-consumed with remaking Han in his black vest, or Maul in his only outfit

So what do you think about Hasbro now?

kool-aid killer
10-28-2003, 08:19 PM
I would have to say that i am pleased. My only complaint being that i cant find the Walmart value packs. Ive been able to get just about everything else ive wanted. I think it is safe to say the drought of figures is over at least where im at.

LTBasker
10-28-2003, 08:48 PM
Quality over Quantity. That's all I can say. Just because they're giving the stuff that would sell doesn't mean it has the quality to actually do such.

And their distribution still sucks.

mark2d2
10-28-2003, 08:54 PM
Heck, I don't know if things have ever been this good. Seriously.

R1-G4 is the most excited I have been about any toy in ages!
(And now he is coming packed with a Jawa of some sort! Yippee!)

Jedi Luke looks to be amazing. (Love that vintagey cloth cape.)

Threepio is coming with the long awaited Escape Pod. . . (Woo! Hoo!)

And the Hoth stuff and Jabba's Palace wave have me drooling.

Yes, indeed. Things are definitely looking up!

(Now if we'd just get OFFICIAL word that the Sandcrawler is picked up.
I could really be out dancing in the toy aisles.)

Yes, in a word, I am very impressed.

amidalak
10-28-2003, 09:03 PM
hasbro's stuff looks great, i am amazed that the previews for the upcoming figs are from the same toy company that gave us not one, but three horrible ep. 2 obi wan's (still reserving judgment on the night club obi, that left arm looks kinda goofy)! i still wish they would use a consistent pattern of articulation, but this stuff looks like what we have wanted since the modern line started.

thespar
10-28-2003, 09:54 PM
The hard part about all those new figures will be finding them.

Hellboy
10-28-2003, 10:25 PM
Overall I'm impressed as well. Its as if Hasbro actually listened to what the collectors wanted and decided to give it a try. I love the whole theme based assortments coming next year and plan on spending way to much money on this stuff :greedy:. It could be the best year ever and IMO they've turned the line around already with the current Saga and CW assortments. Good Job Hasbro, now lets get that ditribution problem fixed so everyone can have the opportunity to find what they want at retail and enjoy their hobbie. Its a good time to be a collector of SW toys and we might look back in the years to come and say it didn't get any better than that.

bobafrett
10-28-2003, 10:39 PM
I'm liking most of what Hasbro has set out on our collecting table. I just hope I can get the full meal, and not the leftover table scraps.

Jaff
10-28-2003, 11:32 PM
Quality over Quantity. That's all I can say. Just because they're giving the stuff that would sell doesn't mean it has the quality to actually do such.

And their distribution still sucks.

I'm with LT on this all the way. Some of the new figs are really poorly made, but many are awesome. They have terrible distribution problems, but I am confident that with the new selections they are making shelf movement and purchasing desires of retails will spike back up again. I pretty much knew that 2004 would be a collectors year. It is after all, congruent with the POTJ line, but the POTJ line was consistant for a whole year. I will agree with Mark2D2 that this will become the best line ever as long as they keep their consistancy.

I'm getting my wallet ready to buy stuff! :happy: :happy:

darthzirock
10-29-2003, 12:43 AM
If I can actually find any of this stuff, I'll be happy. However, here it is, almost November 2003, and I still have yet to find any of the Clone Wars wave 2 figures anywhere! Also, if the Scene Packs continue to go for $20, I'll have to pray that they eventually turn into shelf-cloggers and get reduced before I can afford to get 4-6 of those suckers every year.

Hellboy
10-30-2003, 05:03 PM
here it is, almost November 2003, and I still have yet to find any of the Clone Wars wave 2 figures anywhere!

I'd hardly qualify that as poor distribution in your area since these just recently started showing up at retail. I find things rather quickly in my area compared to most and this wave only showed up here a week ago. If you've found everything else up to that point I'd wager you'll have no trouble finding next years toys.

Turbowars
10-30-2003, 06:03 PM
I don't worry about finding the crap anymore. I have accepted the fact that I can't find most of this stuff at the time I can shop. Sometimes I find something after work, but most of the time I leave empty handed, so I have great luck with EE. For the most part the stuff looks great! I heck of a lot better than EP2 waves. Anything OT is OK with me.

keithfite
10-30-2003, 06:26 PM
I think hasbro is doing fine. I really like the clone wars stuff, and Im glad they keep introducing figures of unmade characters. I know they still put out lukes or lando or han, But some of the figures coming up of never before made characters are great. and even figures coming up of characters that have been made a million times, some of these new variations rule. They are doing good. If they could just keep them shipping so we can get them, I think the next year will be good

Kidhuman
10-31-2003, 07:45 AM
Hasbro has stepped up to the plate and hit it out. Now if they could just distribute correctly.

aceguide
10-31-2003, 07:56 AM
I like all of it. The screen scenes are awesome!

My biggest gripe is that I have yet to see unleashed ANYWHERE! Jango/Boba is the only one I have seen on a peg in the last six months, and Maul & Padme are the only others I have seen.

It's sad when you want to give someone $20 and they don't seem to want it...

bobafrett
10-31-2003, 08:59 AM
Hasbro has stepped up to the plate and hit it out. Now if they could just distribute correctly.

I agree that Hasbro is hitting some home runs with the figures they have put out lately, however I don't think it's there fault for bad distribution. Look at Wal-Mart, they are only giving us the 3 3/4 inch figures and lightsabers. This means no unleashed, no vehicles, NO FUN. Each retail store orders what they think is going to sell. Some may only order a case of figures every six months, because they don't want to get stuck with a bunch of figures that won't sell. I mean we've all complained about the amount of peg warmers at our local retail stores. Someone has to eat the cost on those when they don't sell. I think Target got it right, they got rid of those peg warmers, and I've seen a lot of new product at most Targets.

I like all of it. The screen scenes are awesome!

My biggest gripe is that I have yet to see unleashed ANYWHERE! Jango/Boba is the only one I have seen on a peg in the last six months, and Maul & Padme are the only others I have seen.

It's sad when you want to give someone $20 and they don't seem to want it....

I'm sure this is the case where retail stores were stuck with a lot of the older Unleashed figures. I was at a store recently that still had the Jango / Darth Maul unleashed figures. Sure it sucks, but I just order all the newer waves from an online e-tailer, and haven't been let down yet. Sure your going to pay a few dollars more, but in the end, you'll get your product.

Kidhuman
10-31-2003, 09:38 AM
Bobafrett, I did mean about the 3.75 line. Wal-Mart or not, in my area, there is nothing on my shelves. To me that is Hasbro. If it was one store, then I could say it wasnt, but 6 stores have nothing. One Wal-Mart has about 12 Padme Arena and 2 3P0's. I was in KB last week and the newest thing they had was Anakin TA. I have never seen the bonus packs either. Times like this I wished I still lived in NYC.

seanmcfripp
10-31-2003, 10:25 AM
Th Clone Wars distribution is great. The value packs are a little hard to find, but I can assure it isn't because of low numbers. They are just selling like crazy. Why can't the rest of the Saga line be distributed this way?

bobafrett
10-31-2003, 10:26 AM
I still can't be lead to believe that the distribution problem is Hasbro's fault. If I was the department manager at my Wal-Mart, I'd be ordering an extra case of figures just for me, however I'm not and some stores may not understand that they have collectors who are willing to spend the hard earned dollar on Star Wars collectibles. I've seen people who don't even know what Star Wars is. I refuse to move up North because the only store that even carries anything is Wal-Mart, and they only carry what I mentioned in my previous post. Plus jobs are harder to find, and I need at least 2 jobs, one for the bills one for my Star Wars habit. If a store doesn't see the importance of ordering SW figures, and therefore doesn't place an order for the product, then Hasbro doesn't get an order from the distributor who handles the toy orders for that store, then how can you put the blame on Hasbro? You must go to the person in charge of placing orders for the stores you shop. They might have orders from there home office not to order any more SW figures since they ended up marking down to many peg warmers. Am I making sense?

amidalak
10-31-2003, 11:27 AM
Bobafrett, I did mean about the 3.75 line. Wal-Mart or not, in my area, there is nothing on my shelves. To me that is Hasbro. If it was one store, then I could say it wasnt, but 6 stores have nothing. One Wal-Mart has about 12 Padme Arena and 2 3P0's. I was in KB last week and the newest thing they had was Anakin TA. I have never seen the bonus packs either. Times like this I wished I still lived in NYC.

i'm with bobafrett here, this isn't hasbro's fault. if there is nothing on your shelves, it is because your stores aren't ordering at all, or enough, or because they ordered too much initially, and they haven't sold through their existing product enabling them to order new product. of all the things we complain about hasbro, this is the one that is most unfounded. '03 has been terrible until recently for seeing new product because in '02 too much was ordered and stores took it on the chin (typical movie year, anyone remember '99 and episode 1?). your wal-mart is the perfect example, until they sell what they already have, they are not going to order anything new.

Kidhuman
10-31-2003, 01:03 PM
Well, when I talked tothe people at Wal-MArt, they said it was a HAsbro Rep. that stocked the shelves in their store. I dunno too much about that. I went toanother Wqal-Mart about 20 minutes away and they had the CW merch, but nothing after that. It could be true, or they are lying, either way it irks the daylights out of me.

If a rep does stock the shelves, then Hasbro is responsible for it, because there merch isnt making it out there. If the stores arent ordering, then so be it.

bobafrett
11-01-2003, 12:28 AM
Well, when I talked tothe people at Wal-MArt, they said it was a HAsbro Rep. that stocked the shelves in their store. I dunno too much about that. I went toanother Wqal-Mart about 20 minutes away and they had the CW merch, but nothing after that. It could be true, or they are lying, either way it irks the daylights out of me.

If a rep does stock the shelves, then Hasbro is responsible for it, because there merch isnt making it out there. If the stores arent ordering, then so be it.

It doesn't make sense to me that a rep from Hasbro would come in and order stock for Wal-Mart. I have a few friends who still work there, and I'll see what they say. I know there were reps from certain companies who would come in and place orders for side kick items. All of the shelf items though were set by home office. They print out the layout, and what items are going in what spot on the shelf. At least Wal-Mart does it that way. Haven't you ever gone in to a WM or Target and seen pieces of paper hanging there, and the shelves and pegs are being reorginized to carry the newest product. I still believe that it is a store level decision on what, and how much gets ordered based on sales for that item. Even when we would order items, we were sometimes denied the request by home office.

darthzirock
11-01-2003, 02:52 AM
It doesn't make sense to me that a rep from Hasbro would come in and order stock for Wal-Mart. I have a few friends who still work there, and I'll see what they say. I know there were reps from certain companies who would come in and place orders for side kick items. All of the shelf items though were set by home office. They print out the layout, and what items are going in what spot on the shelf. At least Wal-Mart does it that way. Haven't you ever gone in to a WM or Target and seen pieces of paper hanging there, and the shelves and pegs are being reorginized to carry the newest product. I still believe that it is a store level decision on what, and how much gets ordered based on sales for that item. Even when we would order items, we were sometimes denied the request by home office.

Hasbro reps do not stock store shelves for chains like WM, TRU, Target, KB, etc, etc. Store employees stock those shelves. If your local WM is open 24 hours, you can usually go in after 9PM or so and see the restocks happening. Most of the big-box chains have regional buyers who make the orders for these things up months in advance. As far as inventory, WM was the innovator in electronic inventory, and Target, K-Mart, and even TRU do it, too. So, if you go into a store and there are only 5 or 6 figures on the shelves, guess what? Until those last 5 or 6 figures get sold, the computer won't re-order! When the figures are rung up at the register, it gets transmitted to the main inventory computer. I've been told that some collectors will buy up the last 5 or 6 pegwarmers at their nearest WM, then return them at a store farther away, just so that their store gets new stock.

The big-box stores did take a hit with the AOTC stuff in 2002, because they didn't learn from 1999 and TPM over-stocks! In most cases, the buyers that were ordering this stuff in 2002 weren't the same buyers from 1999--lots of turnover in the buyer job market. They get suckered into ordering more by company reps looking for bonuses, plus they fear being caught shorthanded and losing out to the competition. But, once the movie leaves the screens, that's it! Just look around at all The Hulk toys still rotting on pegs, even though the DVD just came out. (Of course, you have to factor in that The Hulk stank; but then, Spider-Man was great but I still see those movie figures on pegs, too!)

Part of the problem is that kids just aren't buying action figures like they once were. All the kids I know want Dragonball Z videos or Yu-Gi-Oh! cards. Even Power Rangers is still pretty popular with the tykes. I know the kids are buying the electronic lightsabers--which is why WM always has those in stock--but the last time I saw anyone under 18 with a Star Wars action figure in their hand, it was to move it because it was covering a peg that had those Beyblade things on it! (What are those things, anyway??? :confused: Are they like glorified tops or something?)

So, what's the answer? Unless you have the money and means to order everything online--and I know I sure don't--you pretty much can expect that you won't get everything that comes out by depending solely on retail outlets. Yes, it stinks, it's not fair, but neither is life. If life were fair, I'd be directing Episode III while Lucas prepped Howard the Duck 5. :crazed:

Kidhuman
11-01-2003, 08:47 AM
I never seen stock boxes for SW toys in that Wal-Mart. I check pallets all the time. It gets stocked like once a month. I think the employees are stealing or buying them. I have worked in retail before for ten years and never heard of a rep stocking toys. I see the Plan-o-grams on the shelves all the time but never new stock except lightsabers.