PDA

View Full Version : Batman: The Animated Thread

El Chuxter
10-29-2003, 02:34 PM
(Inspired by my seeing the new Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman DVD last night.)

This is possibly the greatest action cartoon of all time, in most of its incarnations. (Teen Titans sucks pretty hard, but everything else rocks!)

First, on the heels of the films, there was Batman: The Animated Series. This defined a new, abstract design for cartoons that continues today in series like JLA and Masters of the Universe (despite the overall increasing trend toward anime). Taking visuals from the first two movies and Frank Miller's work, the series created a totally new continuity that, in many ways, was better than the comics themselves. With top-notch voice talent (Mark Hamill, Richard Moll, Kevin Conroy) and stories that were far grittier than any other mainstream cartoon to date, adults liked the show as much as (or even more than) their kids. The show even aired in primetime for a short while.

My personal favorite episodes are "Almost Got Him" (in which various villains describe almost killing Batman, and Batman disguises himself as an appropriately dense Killer Croc) and "The Laughing Fish" (mainly for the sidesplittingly funny television commercial produced by the Joker).

Animated Batman made his big screen debut in Batman: Mask of the Phantasm. Despite doing poorly in the theater (due to its unexpectedly adult content) and dooming all future films to video release, this remains the best Batman film ever. The Joker gets his butt whomped on (with blood and teeth flying everywere), and Batman gets his groove on. All set to a great score by Shirley Jackson that's right at home with Elfman's Batman scores.

I believe next was the switchover from Batman: The Animated Series to The Adventures of Batman and Robin. This was set a few years in the future, with Dick Grayson now Nightwing and a young Tim Drake as the second Robin. (Jason Todd never existed in this continuity, although this Tim's origin is basically Jason's comic book origin.) Batgirl began appearing more regularly :(, and the animation style became much more cartoony. Most characters were redesigned, all for the worse except for the Joker and Mr Freeze. Sadly, by this point, my schedule prevented me from seeing most of these episodes.

Next came Batman: Sub-Zero. Featuring a tale of Mr Freeze vs Batgirl, this was obviously created to cash in on the "craze" :rolleyes: of the craptacular Batman & Robin movie. Despite some rather clunky CGI effects, this one was pretty good, but no Mask of the Phantasm.

Superman wasn't exactly a Batman show, but employed many of the same creators. Batman met Superman in the creatively titled The Batman/Superman Movie, in which Joker and Luthor team up. Another solid film. (And from the little of the Superman series I saw, another solid series. Especially since the Main Man himself, Lobo, showed up! :D)

Batman and Superman team up on a more regular basis in JLA, also starring Flash (Barry Allen with Wally West's personality), Wonder Woman, Martian Manhunter, and Green Lantern (John Stewart). Still airing on Cartoon Network, but I think maybe a total of six episodes have been produced. Very good show, but I think every time I turn it on, I see the Gorilla Grodd or Aquaman episodes.

Teen Titans features Robin, but that's where it ends. Let's just forget I mentioned it.

Mystery of the Batwoman, which came out last week, is yet another great movie. Someone is wearing a suit modeled on Batman's to cause some pain to the Penguin and Rupert Thorne, but who is she? (Hardcore Bat-afficianados will catch a clever homage to the secret identity of the Golden Age Batwoman, which I won't mention here so as not to spoil.)

This movie ends with the mystery unravelled (duh), and the supposed death of Bane, but we know that can't be the case. A few years earlier, Batman Beyond, set years in the future with an elderly Bruce Wayne acting as mentor to the new Batman, showed Bane's true final fate. A different feel in this series, which isn't lousy like most other "take a familiar character and put him in the future" shows.

And the final step (chronologically) is the excellent Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker movie. Not the best Batman animated movie, but definitely the darkest. In fact, Warner initially censored it for release, then released the uncut version when fans complained. The fate of Tim Drake is enough to make you wish he'd gone out the same way as comic-book Jason Todd (minus the Lazarus Pit, turning to evil, and all that other stuff from the Hush storyline) just to make it easier on him. :eek:

James Boba Fettfield
10-29-2003, 03:07 PM
Not possibly the greastest action cartoon of all time, it is the greatest cartoon of all time. This series shows Batman in a way that has never been achieved before. These cartoons are what made me love Batman. Bruce Timm and his team made this show great. I remember it first airing in 1992, and I loved it then at the age of eight. It appealed to kids, because I knew a lot of other kids who loved it then, too. One of the greatest Fox cartoons ever! Everything was perfect with it. The animation style, the voice acting, the look of the characters.

I love how the series worked by introducing characters. Like Harvey Dent, they actually had used him as a character in the episodes before the two part episode "Two-Face." They set Harvey up, and they we got to see him fall and become Two-Face. That's something kids shows don't offer.

As a kid, I never really gave it much notice, but now I'm 19 and I buy the dvd's of these episodes when they're released because I still love watching the episodes. I have a good friend of mine, he's 39 years old, and we've talked about how much we loved this show. It's great to see a cartoon like that appeal to so many people of different age groups.

Sadly, once the show went to the WB was when I stopped watching it. Didn't have the WB available at the time, so I couldn't watch them. I've seen a few, though. JLA and Teen Titans I don't like so much. I don't like Robin and JLA isn't about just Batman, so I don't enjoy it.

The animated films, excellent, top-notch entertainment. Mask of the Phantasm was worthy of much more than what the box office returns gave it.

As for Batman Beyond, I don't know why some people don't like the show for. I think it's a worthy heir to the show Timm and Co. started. Not to mention Timm was involved with it. The first five minutes of the episode "Rebirth" are what really drew me into loving it. Batman is reduced to holding some thugs up with a gun....and seeing how he's not able to keep being Batman, very sad. And the line he says, "Never again," as he shuts off the Bat Cave forever. Powerful stuff I thought. Beyond is a very adult themed show at times. Seeing Bane after living a life being pumped full of his drugs, I never expected it. It didn't hurt the show at all. Return of the Joker, wow. That's all I can say after watching that one. The uncut version, mind you. Batman getting stabbed, going berserk on the Joker, and the whole premise behind the Joker coming back. Great film!

That being said, I love the Batman series!

El Chuxter
10-29-2003, 04:38 PM
I forgot to mention: the new Batman/Catwoman short on the Mystery of the Batwoman DVD ("Chase Me") is worth the price of the disc alone.

Now that I finally know what the difference is between the two versions of Return of the Joker, I want to go out and get the uncut version! :D

LTBasker
10-29-2003, 06:22 PM
It wasn't bad, one thing that seemed really out of place was the Penguin's activity. In The New Batman Adventures (TNBA) which was a redux of the animated series, the Penguin became a "legitamite" businessman, just don't ask where he got the watch. ;)

However in this movie, he's all criminal again. Even going as far as to shoot at Batman for no reason when he's in the water. Yes he doesn't like the bat, but shooting at him when Batwoman was the criminal definitely bad for business.

If you watched the online Gotham Girls series, you'll probably understand when I say both MOTB and Chase Me were alot more like a Gotham Girls episode.

Anyways, a few things about MOTB. Did anybody else think the Dukane chick looked a heckuva lot like Halle Berry?

Also if you remember episodes very well, if you look in the scene right after Bane captures Batwoman and they're all gathered there. There is a misc. cronie with a rifle standing next to'em, the exact same guy was also in TNBA episode "You scratch my back" trying to run over Nightwing with a forklift.

JediTricks
10-29-2003, 06:50 PM
I've really liked the modern animated Batman series, even Batman Beyond, but I personally like the style and feel of the 2nd series from '97 which went by several different names (referenced above as "The Adventures of Batman & Robin" although I believe there is some confusion about which series is which). I especially like that version's batmobile, which is the one still being used in the current Justice League show.

If you look at the action figures from the various series, you can see several major design changes from the rounded and slightly less angular '92 show to the very angular and smooth '97 series where Batman was very wide at the shoulders, to the Justice League design which takes the '97 series design aesthetic and takes away some of the more outrageous oversized characters. In this new JL line, Batman's design is almost back to the way he was when he first started almost 65 years ago and it really looks great. (Hasbro's Batman Beyond line didn't emulate the look of the show unfortunately so it gets no mention or respect. :p)

scruffziller
11-06-2003, 11:43 AM
Did you happen to notice how the Duquraine daughter looked alot like Hallie Barry? And pairing her up with Bruce. Kinda gives a Catwoman story scenario
feel to it. I wonder if that was a way to set up the feel for Hallie's Catwoman coming in the future?:)

Beast
03-24-2004, 03:33 PM
Figured I'd drop it in here, since it seems to fit. But Toon Zone has some information about the upcoming DVD release of Batman, Superman, and Superfriends. :)

Bonus Material, Disc Count for animated "Batman," "Superman," and "Superfriends" DVDs
By Jim Harvey 03-24-2004, 02:37 PM

WB has informed Toon Zone's Jim Harvey that the upcoming DVD releases of Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Challenge of the Superfriends will not disappoint fans. The first set of DVD releases focusing on the popular animated heroes will come in the summer.

Fans worried that WB will release underwhelming sets of their iconic animated properties can breathe a sigh of relief. A representative for WB said that every Batman: The Animated Series DVD boxed set release will contain four discs. Each set will also feature between 24 - 28 episodes and retail for around the same price of WB's current four disc animated releases, such as The Flintstones. Superman: The Animated Series and Challenge of the Superfriends will be released as two disc sets, much like the upcoming Samurai Jack: Season One title.

A representative for WB Home Video was also quick to correct recent false information, stating only Batman: The Animated Series, Superman: The Animated Series, and Challenge of the Superfriends will be coming out as multi-disc boxed sets for the foreseeable future. Future releases of other super hero properties, such as Teen Titans, Justice League, and possibly Batman Beyond, will only be released as single, episodic DVDs. These single disc DVDs will hit shelves the same time the larger, multi-disc sets are released.

And what about extras? Don't worry fans, WB is listening. On each set - single or multi-disc - expect interviews, commentary, videography about villains and heroes, and much more. Participants already recorded for commentaries and interviews include Bruce Timm, Paul Dini, and Alan Burnett, among others. Several members of the voice cast and creative team for each animated series are heavily involved in production of these releases. Also, expect a few surprise creators from the world of comic books to featured on these DVDs.

When asked about their plans for these DVD sets, the representative for WB said the plans are to release every episode for each animated series. The first wave of these DVD box sets, and new single volume releases, begins this summer. Expect an official announcement from WB shortly.
http://forums.toonzone.net/showthread.php?t=106207

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
03-24-2004, 11:30 PM
I can't wait for the Batman DVDs! This was one of my all time favorite cartoons.

I liked "Mask of the Phantasm" but I wasn't too impressed with "Mystery of the Batwoman," (the only 2 Batman animated movies I've seen) the animation was clunky at times and the villians were lame. Bane seemed like an afterthought and Penguin was wasted. And too little Robin.

Card Dreamer
03-27-2004, 12:17 AM
I actually REALLY enjoyed Mystery of the Batwoman. It was different which is why I liked it. Also I liked the music in a it a lot and wish there was a soundtrack (mostly for the song Betcha Never, which ALWAYS gets stuck in my head after I watch it). I do agree too little Robin though...

Speaking of Robin, has anyone noticed the major contradictions with him lately? In Return of the Joker, its stated that it took Tim a year (or was it 2?) to get over what joker did to him, Batman forbade Tim to be Robin AND he gave up trying shortly after...

Yet, as seen in not only 2 episodes of Static Shock, but in Mystery of the Batwoman and Titans as well that not only is Tim still Robin, but he's older than when Robin was tortured by Joker (which is all the more confusing because the first crossover ep with Static Shock featured Joker and an older Robin).

The only explination I could come up with for this was that for artistic reasons, Robin was kept the young age we knew him most as from the series as well why Joker was drawn in his more classic version from the original animated batman show rather than in the form we see say in the Batman/Superman movie.)

The other thing that gets me confused is, why does Robin's outfit change when he's with the Titans as apposed to when he goes back to visit Batman? (There are 3 eps of Static Shock in which Batman crossoves over, not including Justice League crosses). First he has the red/black outfit, then when Batman crosses again with Static, he mentions Robin being with the Titans (in which he wears a more traditional Robin outfit of green/red/yellow)..okay..but when they crossover again, robin is back in his red/black outfit.

uhg....Titans is just a horrid show...

James Boba Fettfield
04-19-2004, 11:05 AM
tvshowsondvd.com has some more news on the first set of dvd's for this excellent cartoon!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1405

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-19-2004, 07:41 PM
I got this set yesterday and i'm loving it!!!! It's awesome just to see that intro and to hear Danny Elfman's score with it. It's worth the price of the set alone.

Question though: what order are these episodes in??!? I can't figure it out if it's by production or air date. I do hope eventually we get all the episodes in some sort of chronological order.

Get this set now!! :D

Rocketboy
08-19-2004, 09:12 PM
I believe it's in production order. In the commentary for the first episode (with Man-Bat), they talk quite a bit about all the troubles that had with that first episode and how astounded they were with how well it came out.

It's a great set. I'm still not all through it yet, but I did notice Robin is only in 1 episode on the first disc (Christmas with the Joker). I found that odd.

Hellboy
08-21-2004, 12:48 PM
I've been enjoying my set as well. My only complaint is how long it took WB to release the series in box set format. I can now finally retire my collection of shows that I recorded from television onto video tape starting way back in 1992. Hopefully we won't have to wait long for Vol. 2 because I'm already craving more.

Its soooo hard to pick just one favorite episode from each disc but I'm going to give it a shot. For those of you who have the set I'd love to hear which of them is your favorite off each disc as well as a few you might not have cared for.

Favorite Episodes:
Disc 1 -On Leather Wings
Disc 2 -Heart of Ice
Disc 3 -Beware the Gray Ghost
Disc 4 -Joker's Favor

Least Favorite Episodes:
Disc 1 -The Underdwellers
Disc 2 -Be a Clown
Disc 2 -I've got Batman in my basement

evenflow
08-23-2004, 01:25 PM
Not really havinganything to do with this, but are there any rumors about the Justice League being released in a season set. I do not want to buy the individual discs if they are goingt o release a set.

Rocketboy
08-27-2004, 11:24 PM
thedigitalbits.com:

(LATE UPDATE - 8/25/04 - 2:30 PM PDT)

Boy... it's a BIG day for animated DVD announcements. Warner Bros. has just unveiled FIVE great animated releases that are all due to street on 12/7, starting with the 4-disc, 28-episode Batman: The Animated Series - Volume Two (SRP $44.98). Extras will include the Robin Rising, Gotham's Guardians and Voices of the Knight featurettes, and audio commentary on 4 episodes.

Next up is the 2-disc, 18-episode Superman: The Animated Series - Volume One (SRP $26.98). Extras will include the Superman: Learning to Fly and Building the Mythology: Superman's Supporting Cast featurettes, audio commentary on 4 episodes, and pop-up trivia.

Hellboy
08-28-2004, 12:08 AM
Sweeeet!!! :eek:

I pretty much expected vol.2 of BTAS but Superman is a welcome surprise. :D

Could the first season of Justice League be far behind?

Looks like I found the perfect X-mas present, to myself. :greedy:

SithDroid
08-28-2004, 09:47 PM
Does anyone know for sure if the Volume One and Volume Two of the Batman Animated Series will contain all of the Season One Episodes. The reason I am asking is because I absolutely hate "The best of" stuff that usually seems to end up on DVD. I like season box sets or complete series. Also if anyone can tell me if the Aqua Teen Humger Force Vol 1 & 2, Sea Lab 2021, and Superfriends are complete series also that would help immensely. I guess I am just confused because Warner Brothers seems to do stuff weird at their studio.

Rocketboy
08-28-2004, 10:59 PM
Batman - I'm not exactly sure where one season ends and another begins, but theepisodes are in order from the beginning. The first 28 episodes are on volume 1.

Aqua Teens - Same as Batman. The episodes are in order and there are 13 episodes on each volume. I assume Sealab is the same way.

Those best of discs are usually only 4 or so episodes on 1 disc.

Beast
08-28-2004, 11:06 PM
No, it doesn't contain all of Season 1's episodes. Because Season 1 is like 60+ episodes. And the episdoes on the DVD's are in the proper production order, instead of airdate order. Because they really messed up the way the show was supposed to be shown, the first time it was. So it's not a 'Best of' release. Aqua Teen, Sealab, and Superfriends are also in the correct way their supposed to be shown. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2005, 02:06 PM
Not sure how many still collect this on dvd, but the third volume has been announced today. Release date is May 24.

TVshowsOnDVD has further info and cover art (http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=2969)

I'd copy/paste it all, but I don't want to steal TV on DVD's thunder.

El Chuxter
02-23-2005, 02:09 PM
Man, I am so behind on this. I've still not picked up a single season set for Batman or Superman, and I'm sure Justice League and Batman Beyond will probably be announced at some point in the not-too-distant future. (And what about Static Shock, a show based on a more obscure DC hero that's guest-starred the animated-style Batman and Justice League at least a couple of times?)

Thankfully both Teen Titans and The Batman both suck incredibly hard, so it's not a neverending tide of DC DVDs.

Rocketboy
02-23-2005, 04:25 PM
Cool news. I have volume 2 (not yet opened) and I still haven't finished volume 1, but I'm working on it.

Anyone know how many episodes there were?

And do they count the later ones that aired on the WB as part of the series (with Nightwing, the new Robin, no yellow on the bat logo, ect.)?

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2005, 04:58 PM
Well, this Volume 3 should include the last episodes that were a part of the Batman series that ran on FOX. I think there were 80 some odd episodes. Somewhere in the 80's, anyway.

No idea how they will handle the WB episodes, but Volume 3 will be the end of the Fox aired episodes.

darthvyn
02-23-2005, 06:30 PM
it will be interesting to see how they handle the WB episodes... wasn't it kinda joined with superman into an hour long show?

i got both vol. 1 and vol. 2 for christmas (well, i got a gift card for vol. 2 - it wasn't out yet,) and i'm so happy to have them. but i can't wait for the WB sets, either.

James Boba Fettfield
02-23-2005, 06:45 PM
It might have aired before or after Superman, but I am pretty sure they were not joined together as an hour long show.

They only have 20 some episodes for the WB series, so it should only take one more volume to cover those.

Rocketboy
02-23-2005, 09:35 PM
Batman and Superman was aired the same way Droids and Ewoks were aired way back when - Two related shows in a one hour time slot.

JediTricks
02-24-2005, 04:12 PM
It might have aired before or after Superman, but I am pretty sure they were not joined together as an hour long show.

They only have 20 some episodes for the WB series, so it should only take one more volume to cover those.
It absolutely was joined with Superman as "The New Batman/Superman Adventures": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129700/
This was basically where the '97 show "The New Batman Adventures": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118266/
ended up, there were even a few crossover 1-hour eps IIRC. Confusing, no?

kool-aid killer
02-27-2005, 01:21 PM
How did i miss this thread? This Batman cartoon has been one of my favorites, if not the favorite, cartoon series ive ever seen. The stories were good and animation wasnt sloppy. It didnt devolve into poor attempts at comedy like the Turtles did, which made this cartoon easy to stick with throughout its run. I have yet to pick up any of the box sets myself, but am mentioning it as a possible birthday gift to my siblings and parents. Its too bad cartoon series arent made this way nowadays, it seems like the WB and Cartoon Network just pick up any new anime crap they can and throw it on the tube.

darthvyn
03-11-2005, 02:48 PM
It absolutely was joined with Superman as "The New Batman/Superman Adventures": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0129700/
This was basically where the '97 show "The New Batman Adventures": http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118266/
ended up, there were even a few crossover 1-hour eps IIRC. Confusing, no?

thanks for the vindication, there, jt... i knew they joined it together... so do you think they'll make batman/superman boxed sets when they get to these, or will they keep them split up?

JediTricks
03-11-2005, 05:49 PM
I suspect due to royalty issues, they'll keep them split up.

Rocketboy
03-11-2005, 09:05 PM
But that wouldn't make any sense if part 1 was on Batman and part 2 was on Superman.
You'd only get half the story.

darthvyn
03-13-2005, 08:48 AM
like the first "new" batman on WB, where they did "world's finest" - it was a three parter about superman and batman teaming up against the joker and lex. and there was another episode where supergirl and batgirl teamed up to save s and b.

JediTricks
03-13-2005, 08:27 PM
But that wouldn't make any sense if part 1 was on Batman and part 2 was on Superman.
You'd only get half the story.
Very true, and this can make huge problems for studios when trying to release season-based DVD sets, which is why it doesn't happen that often. Sometimes both episodes get left out, sometimes a deal can be worked out, and sometimes you see a special vid with only that story on it.

darthvyn
03-13-2005, 09:58 PM
there already was a dvd release of the "world's finest" three-parter, just entitled "the batman/superman movie." maybe they won't even include those episodes. or, just maybe all three eps will appear on both sets.

option three is that they start doing larger boxed sets of the batman/superman hour together...

El Chuxter
06-16-2007, 12:30 AM
I thought there was a JL thread, but I can't find it.

Is there any word of complete season sets of Static Shock? Hardly my favorite show of the bunch, but I caught it once or twice where Batman and Robin guest starred. I had totally forgotten it until tonight's episode of JLU ("The Once and Future Thing, Pt 2"), where a much older Static appears alongside Batman II to assist Bats, Lantern, and Wonder Woman in capturing Chronos. GL hinted he'd met Static before, too.

I don't recall it being a bad show by any means. Probably the weakest of the DC Animated Universe, but it's the only one not available, and it's better than most other cartoons from the past decade or so.

The complete series would be:

Batman Animated
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Batman: Sub-Zero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Superman (which includes The Batman/Superman Movie)
Static Shock
Justic League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Missing anything in there? Teen Titans is definitely a separate universe, and I think (based on the painfully bad portion of an episode I saw) that Legion of Superheroes is, too.

figrin bran
06-16-2007, 01:06 AM
Chux, i read this DC animation forum every so often and there hasn't been any word on season sets of Static Shock, unfortunately.

You should give Legion of Superheroes another chance. I watched the first episode...didn't really like it. Gave it another chance and now i enjoy it. Just as long as you view it as a fun series and not as anything along the Bruce Timm DCAU lines, you might like it more.

Lord Malakite
06-23-2007, 02:07 AM
The complete series would be:

Batman Animated
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
The Adventures of Batman and Robin
Batman: Sub-Zero
Batman: Mystery of the Batwoman
Superman (which includes The Batman/Superman Movie)
Static Shock
Justic League
Justice League Unlimited
Batman Beyond
Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker

Missing anything in there? Teen Titans is definitely a separate universe, and I think (based on the painfully bad portion of an episode I saw) that Legion of Superheroes is, too.
Yeah, you are missing at least one more show (The Zeta Project).

JetsAndHeels
06-23-2007, 04:10 PM
You should give Legion of Superheroes another chance. I watched the first episode...didn't really like it. Gave it another chance and now i enjoy it. Just as long as you view it as a fun series and not as anything along the Bruce Timm DCAU lines, you might like it more.

The problem with LOSH is they run too many damn re-runs. This show is still relatively new and I can't remember but maybe one instance where I saw two new eps in back to back weeks.

But I am still looking forward to the dvd (only 4 eps) that is going to be released later.

JediTricks
06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Apparently, season 2 is a go and in production now for Superman & The Legion of Super Heroes, but the show will be changed in several ways (production staff and villains) and once again it'll be another short-run season of just 13 eps. No idea when it'll start airing. And Mattel is looking into doing figures NEXT YEAR. :mad:

El Chuxter
01-03-2009, 11:02 PM
Not exactly a season set, but I saw a few bazillion copies of Static Shock Vol. 1 at a 99c Only store today. One of them is now mine.

I'd never heard of Zeta Project, but it appears it's getting its own full-series DVD in March. Kinda odd that there still seem to be no plans for Static, especially with him now officially in the DC comic universe as well.

JetsAndHeels
01-04-2009, 01:01 AM
And Mattel is looking into doing figures NEXT YEAR. :mad:

I guess that whole figure thing died with the show..

at least McDonald's made toys available for a brief time. I got a Supes and a Lightning Lad.

Lord Malakite
01-06-2009, 04:41 PM
I'd never heard of Zeta Project, but it appears it's getting its own full-series DVD in March.
Zeta Project was introduced as a spin-off from Batman Beyond. Zeta is basically the DC Universe's equivalent of Johnny 5 (from the Short Circuit films). He and "BB" Batman had a few crossover episodes in both their respective shows. In addition a few of Zeta's predecessors also appear in JLU during the "Project Cadmus" story arc.

El Chuxter
01-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I'm planning to get the DVD (it looks like it'll be two volumes instead of one). I wouldn't normally buy a TV series "blind," but it looks like this was tied closely enough to Batman Beyond that it'd be worth it.

I doubt Zeta could be even half as cool as Johnny Five, though. ;)

figrin bran
01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the heads up about the Zeta Project dvd.

As for LOSH figures, Mattel is making a 4 pack available through mattycollector.com later this year. However as it's in the JLU line, that'll be the look of the figures. One of the characters will be Brainiac 5 but the other 3 have not been revealed yet.

DarkArtist
01-18-2009, 08:31 PM
what's everyone take on the Batman : The Brave and the Bold ? been watching it and actually some of the episodes of decent. not too sold on the show but it's somewhat enjoyable.

Beast
01-18-2009, 09:01 PM
what's everyone take on the Batman : The Brave and the Bold ? been watching it and actually some of the episodes of decent. not too sold on the show but it's somewhat enjoyable.
It's fun. Probably my favorite Batman series since the BTAS.

The cameos and team-ups are the best part. Diverse villains as well.

Rocketboy
01-19-2009, 09:19 AM
Saw about 10 minutes of it and changed the channel. F*cking horrible.

JediTricks
01-19-2009, 09:20 PM
I watched the pilot, it was terrible. I tried to watch a second episode, but it was just unwatchable.

figrin bran
01-20-2009, 12:53 AM
I watched the Blue Beetle episode and thought it was okay. Nowhere near BTAS or Bats Beyond or JL/JLU but I'll continue to give it a chance.

LTBasker
01-21-2009, 02:03 PM
I've watched about four episodes of Brave and the Bold, and have only been bugged by one so far. Though, I still have yet to see the first and second episodes. My foray into this show was "The Invasion of the Secret Santas" which amazed me by taking the already nightmarish plight of Bruce and making it even more unsettling, and realistic. The one episode I haven't enjoyed was "The Ousiders," which despite the awesome voicing of Wildcat by the unmatchably ferocious R. Lee Ermey was just a boring and ridiculous episode. Made even worse by the overuse of horrid CGI in the opening sequence.

The show itself is obviously set to be corny, but it has quite a few surprises throughout the episodes. Most notable is that it's not afraid to have death be a subject in what seems like a children's show, and handles it in a mature way that is reminiscent of the creativity in B:TAS. Obviously, it will never come close to toppling B:TAS without a serious change in the prevailing attitude - which leans towards the Adam West series - but it's a nice change of pace for modern American cartoons.

It's obviously not going to sit right with everyone, especially with Bader's random voice which sometimes doesn't quite match the tone of the scene. However, I think the series has serious potential.

...they just need to lay off the "Nth metal" one-liners...