PDA

View Full Version : LOTR's:The Two Towers - Extended Cut Breakdown!!

Beast
10-29-2003, 06:40 PM
As we all know by now, the extended cut of The Two Towers will be released on DVD on November 18th. But TheDigitalBits.com gave a full breakdown of what's new in the Extended Cut. In total, the EE runs 43+ minutes longer then the theatrical version. Here's the full list of additional footage and scenes. It really sounds better then the FOTR EE, in my opinion. Sounds pretty sweet to me. :)

A new opening scene, after Gandalf's fall in Moria, in which we see Sam and Frodo climbing down a rocky crevasse using the Elven rope (the title The Two Towers now appears at the start of this scene).

Sam and Frodo getting rained on in the mountains as Gollum watches from a cliff above them.

Gollum's good and bad selves fighting over whether or not to lead Sam and Frodo to Mordor.

The Orcs arguing about their orders, and Pippen asking them to give a wounded Merry some water.

More of Saruman the White overseeing the construction of his Orc army, including his ordering the destruction of Fangorn Forest to fuel his furnaces, as well as the Wildmen pledging allegiance to him.

More of the villages of Rohan being plundered by the Wildmen.

Éomer finding a mortally-wounded Théodred at the scene of a great battle with Saruman's Orcs.

More of Gríma Wormtongue banishing Éomer from Rohan.

More of the Orcs fighting over whether or not to eat Merry and Pippin, including the realization that they believe the two Hobbits are carrying the Ring.

Gollum complaining of his hunger in the Dead Marshes, eating a worm and playing on Frodo's knowledge of the Ring.

Leoglas talking about the trees in Fangorn Forest, and how Elves first raised them into intelligent creatures long ago.

More of Gandalf the White's return in Fangorn, in which he talks about what's happening in Edoras and how, because of Merry and Pippin's arrival in the forest, the Ents are going to wake up and fight.

Treebeard reciting Ent poetry to Merry and Pippin, which puts them to sleep.

Gandalf telling Aragorn about events to come on the way to Edoras: "Sauron fears what you may become." Gandalf says Sauron doesn't suspect that the plan is to destroy The Ring rather than use it.

Merry and Pippin drinking a potion in Fangorn that causes them to grow, then getting trapped in the roots of a tree until Treebeard saves them.

Treebeard telling Merry and Pippin why there are so few Ents left - they've lost the Ent wives.

Wormtongue spitting on Aragorn's outstretched hand before he escapes after being spared in Edoras.

Théodred's funeral at Edoras, with Éowyn singing in tribute of her cousin.

Aragorn calming a horse named Brego in the stables of Edoras with Elvish talk, as Éowyn watches.

Saruman grumbling about Gandalf's reappearance, then learning of Aragorn's existence from Wormtongue.

King Théoden promising that they'll return to Edoras before leading his people to Helm's Deep.

More of Faramir capturing Frodo and Sam.

Aragorn and Théoden talking about Éowyn on the road to Helm's Deep.

Aragorn and Éowyn talking about his great age over a bowl of bad stew.

Extended flashback moments of Aragorn and Arwen together in Rivendell.

More intense footage of the battle with the Warg Riders.

Éowyn checking on the meager food stores upon arrival at Helm's Deep.

More of Faramir telling Sam and Frodo of Boromir's death, and of finding the Horn of Gondor broken.

A major new flashback scene in which we see Boromir and Faramir after reclaiming Osgiliath for Gondor. We learn that their father, Denethor, disapproves of Faramir. Denethor tells Boromir about a meeting that's been called by Elrond in Rivendell. Denethor suspects that the Ring has been found. He sends Boromir to the meeting, with instructions to bring the Ring back to Gondor to save their people.

Faramir's men beating Gollum briefly before questioning.

Aragorn and Éowyn talking before the battle of Helm's Deep. Éowyn says she wants to fight at his side, and basically admits that she loves him.

More of the Ent council in the woods - it's already night, but the Ents have only just finished saying "Good morning" to each other.

Much more intense footage during the battle at Helm's Deep.

The trees of Fangorn Forest marching to Helm's Deep, to get revenge on the Orcs.

The Orcs fleeing Helm's Deep, only to be swallowed up by the trees which have blocked their escape.

A very funny moment between Legolas and Gimli in which they brag to each other about the number of Orcs they've each killed in the battle. The result? A tie (sort of).

Merry and Pippin discovering a pantry filled with food after the battle at Isengard.

And finally, Faramir leading Frodo and Sam out of Osgiliath. Sam tells Faramir that he's finally shown his quality - the very best. Faramir threatens Gollum as to what will happen if the Hobbits come to harm. As they depart for Mordor, Sam is kind to Gollum for the first time, telling him that Frodo only meant to save him by letting Faramir's men take him prisoner.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
10-29-2003, 07:00 PM
Are they going to pretend that the Palantir and Shelob never happened???

Beast
10-29-2003, 07:12 PM
Are they going to pretend that the Palantir and Shelob never happened???
I believe both of those things are in 'Return of the King'. I know for sure that Shelob is, as that's where Gollum is leading Frodo and Sam at the end of TTT. Yes, different then the book. But then FOTR ended different also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

plo koon 200
10-29-2003, 09:42 PM
Yes, but at least FOTR finished up and they went into the whole first chapter Of TTT. In the film version of TTT there is about 1/3 of the book cut out including the chapter that is in FOTR.

Are you sure Shelob is in it. I can't imagine them not putting in Merry + Pippin and the Palantir as this is the turning point for Saruman in a way. And that whole voice of Saruman is to cool to ignore for film. I hope it is in ROTK. But what are they planing on doing, making it a 4 hour film in theaters and five hours extended?

Turambar
10-30-2003, 12:45 AM
A 1/3 of the TT cut out or only 1/3 of it actually made into the movie?
They seemed to only have covered about 100 pages of a 300 page book. I also found it odd that they wasted so much time with the non-story stuff like aragorn falling over the cliff??! cheapening gandalf's great fall in FOTR, and the elves of lorien coming over to the aid of the rohan men that they disliked even though sauron was attacking the borders of all elf & dwarf strongholds simultaneously so they couldn't spare soldiers even if they did care for the plight of mankind.
The whole Faramir/Frodo meeting was wrong, too. Why would anyone in their right mind (Faramir) let someone with such a powerful item (Frodo) walk off to Mordor right after freely offering it to the enemy (Nazgul)?
TTT would have been a much better 2nd chapter had it ended with the despair of Frodo dying in the confrontation with Shelob and the ring lost to our knowledge as it happens in the book.
It looks like the extended version will help right the ship so to speak and put the movie closer to the actual storyline.

Pendo
10-30-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanx for the list JJB, it sounds awsome :D! I can't wait to see the extended version :).

TTT would have been a much better 2nd chapter had it ended with the despair of Frodo dying in the confrontation with Shelob and the ring lost to our knowledge as it happens in the book.
LOL, I haven't read the books and have gone through all the trouble to remain spoiler free for ROTK, and then I read this :rolleyes:!

PENDO!

kool-aid killer
10-30-2003, 10:55 AM
Ive been patiently waiting for this too. From what JJB posted the extended scenes sound like they will improve a good movie even more.

BlahBlahBlah
10-30-2003, 03:25 PM
Shelob IS in the movie; you can see her in the trailers.

Peter Jackson said they moved the ending to the beginning of RotK because not a lot happens to Frodo and Sam in RotK.

The Mouth of Saurson will be in it, also.

It should run about 3 1/2 hours. Jackson said it will be the best representation of the books out of the three movies.

And as far as I can remember, it's never mentioned in the movies that Sauron's forces were attacking Elf and Dwarf lands, so as far as the movie's concerned, Elves showing up at Helm's Deep makes sense.

Mandalorian Candidat
10-31-2003, 11:05 AM
Yeah, having Shelob at the end of TTT would have been a much better ending because it was just such a great cliffhanger in the book. However, I can agree with PJ's decision to include it in ROTK because of the shorter length of that book. Plus TTT would have been much longer even if they had not included that nonsense about going to Osgiliath.

BTW, what the heck is the mouth of Sauron? I don't remember that from the book.

BlahBlahBlah
10-31-2003, 02:55 PM
He's also referred to as Sauron's lieutenant, if I remember correctly. He's the messenger Sauron sends to the black gate.

Beast
11-08-2003, 07:00 AM
Reviews are starting to turn up on a few places, and it sounds great. I was really glad to learn that just like the first set's Easter Egg of the MTV Movie Award's "Council of Elrond" parody scene, they're including the MTV Movie Award clip of Andy Serkis and Gollum accepting the award for Best Virtual Performance. If you haven't seen this, it's hilarous as hell. Basically Gollum uses the F-Word numerous times to describe his thoughts on Peter Jackson, his co-stars, and even Serkis. It's enough to even make a sailor blush. Here's how to access it, so you'll know when you get your set. :)

Disc One

To access the MTV Movie Awards clip of Andy Serkis and Gollum accepting the award for Best Virtual Performance (3 min, 16x9, DD 2.0), go to the last page of the scene selections menu area and select 'Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit'. Then navigate "down" to reveal a hidden Ring symbol. Press "Enter".

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Pendo
11-08-2003, 07:48 AM
The UK version didn't get the "Council of Elrond" Easter Egg for FOTR, so I doubt we'll get the MTV movie awards one too :(. We got the TTT preview though, so hopefully a ROTK preview :D.

PENDO!

Beast
11-08-2003, 07:54 AM
I know Pendo, you were complaining about that when the set came out last year. It's a real shame that they didn't include it. Most likely due to the anal-retentive folks at the BBFC. I believe from what I've heard, the R2 doesn't have the Gollum/Serkis thing either. Though I've not heard 100% sure.

As for a preview of ROTK, I don't think there is one from everything I've read. Because the preview for TTT was basically just what was tacked onto the end of FOTR, to hype up the upcoming TTT theatrical release. In this case, PJ didn't do a preview for ROTK that was attached to the end of TTT. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
11-18-2003, 04:49 PM
I will definately have to pick mine up after work tomorrow.

Pendo
11-19-2003, 03:53 AM
I got mine yesterday :). It's AMAZIN :D!!! My fave new scene is the one with Boromir and Faromir. It makes Faromir's decision to let the Hobbit's go much more powerful :D.

PENDO!

El Chuxter
11-19-2003, 05:51 PM
Haven't watched it yet, but Costco has the super-duper set for $49.99. :eek: Lowest price I've seen by far. The Gollum statue is awesome and easily worth the price difference over the "basic" expanded edition.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-25-2003, 07:04 PM
I finally finished watching the whole thing last night after having it for a whole week. I enjoyed the extra scenes a lot, especially the one between Boromir, Faramir, and Denethor. Denethor looks like the original medieval hard-As$; can't wait to see him in ROTK. Some of the extra scenes didn't add much but where still entertaining and brought the chapter closer to the book (like Fangorn going to Helm's Deep).

Just one question...I know this has been brought up before, because I brought it up, but what happened to the scene with Andy Serkis as pre-Ring Smeagol? There are pix of it in the movie books, but it has yet to be shown? Anyone know (JJB) if it will show up in ROTK and does PJ even make mention of it in the TTT EE commentary?

Beast
11-25-2003, 07:18 PM
The Smeagol and Deagol scene was originally going to be in FOTR. Then it got moved to TTT. And it's finally supposed to be in ROTK. I hope it doesn't get cut again, it's a great scene that deserves to be in the picture. Cause it shows just how sad Smeagol's life has become. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turambar
11-27-2003, 01:27 AM
I've only had time to see the extended version twice, now. I think my favorite new scenes are the finding of Theodred, and especially the funeral with Eowyn's solo! that is very moving.

kool-aid killer
11-29-2003, 04:57 PM
I seen it last night and was pretty satisfied with it. I liked where they came across Thoedred and his men too. I didnt like Eowyns song but perhaps one day it will grow on me. I thought the part where the Rohan soldier has the battering ram cut into him was cool. I would have to say my favorite of all the extra scenes is when Faramir speaks about the man he shot down.

mrmiller
12-18-2003, 11:33 AM
It seems like the Extended version always have a scene that is vital to the net movie. For instance the Gift Giving seen in FOTR. Otherwise you don't know about the rope and cloak in TTT. And how important was this scene to ROTK?

A major new flashback scene in which we see Boromir and Faramir after reclaiming Osgiliath for Gondor. We learn that their father, Denethor, disapproves of Faramir. Denethor tells Boromir about a meeting that's been called by Elrond in Rivendell. Denethor suspects that the Ring has been found. He sends Boromir to the meeting, with instructions to bring the Ring back to Gondor to save their people.

I think that scene made a Huge impact on Denethor's character that is important in ROTK. Otherwise the scenes just don't have the same impact without seeing the additional footage form the previous movies.

=MATT=

Mandalorian Candidat
12-18-2003, 05:54 PM
I think that scene made a Huge impact on Denethor's character that is important in ROTK. Otherwise the scenes just don't have the same impact without seeing the additional footage form the previous movies.

=MATT=

I can see where an non-reader who is only lukewarm about LOTR may not get the connection without seeing the EE. From watching the commentaries it seems that PJ's attitude is "if you don't watch the EE it's your own fault."

One other thing about Denethor that a non-reader may not get is his whole tirade to Gandalf about knowing more than Gandalf thought he did because they deleted the Minis Tirith palantir scene. Plus that helps to explain his defeatist and suicidal attitude.

stillakid
12-18-2003, 06:14 PM
I can see where an non-reader who is only lukewarm about LOTR may not get the connection without seeing the EE. From watching the commentaries it seems that PJ's attitude is "if you don't watch the EE it's your own fault."

One other thing about Denethor that a non-reader may not get is his whole tirade to Gandalf about knowing more than Gandalf thought he did because they deleted the Minis Tirith palantir scene. Plus that helps to explain his defeatist and suicidal attitude.

I'm the prime "non-reader" that you're talking about. For the most part, I haven't been able to see what the big deal is with these films. They look great and all, but the characters are all so interchangable, flat, and expendable that I haven't been able to sympathize with any of it.

If any of this expanded scenes stuff helps flesh out the characters and the plot properly, I'll give them a look-see. But 44 extra minutes?! Does it come with a built in intermission or are you forced to just pick an arbitrary place to stop so you can go take a leak?

Beast
12-18-2003, 06:35 PM
If any of this expanded scenes stuff helps flesh out the characters and the plot properly, I'll give them a look-see. But 44 extra minutes?! Does it come with a built in intermission or are you forced to just pick an arbitrary place to stop so you can go take a leak?
The Extended Editions do a massive service to adding characterization that is lacking in some aspects in certain areas of the film. The theatrical versions seem way too abridged once you've seen the extended. As for the intermission/leak question.... well, the movies are split over 2 discs. So you get a quasi-intermission. Since you have to change discs. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Mandalorian Candidat
12-19-2003, 11:48 AM
I'm the prime "non-reader" that you're talking about. For the most part, I haven't been able to see what the big deal is with these films. They look great and all, but the characters are all so interchangable, flat, and expendable that I haven't been able to sympathize with any of it.

Dude, I had that exact attitude when I saw the first film. I wasn't into LOTR at all and associated it with all the dorks in Jr. High that would play D&D during lunch every day. Some people I work with were also anti-LOTR but were dragged to the first flick oddly enough by their wives. They thought it was good, so their reversal prompted me to go see it. While I thought it was good, I still didn't get the hype. It was only after reading the whole book and watching the EE that things finally started to click and the whole story became enjoyable.

I don't know if that says something negative about the whole Tolkein experience, but if you're so motivated to pick up the book and give it a try you may feel different....or not. ;)

JON9000
12-19-2003, 12:43 PM
Everyone should read the Hobbit if they have not. I actually like the Hobbit more than LOTR :crazed: !

After reading LOTR, a lot of the small details of the Hobbit make more sense, like the all the talk of the Necromancer, Moria, Dol Gulder and Gandalf sneaking around in the first chapter.

Any way, if you read the Hobbit before LOTR or before you saw the movies, seeing Gandalf and Bilbo was like seeing 2 old friends you haven't seen in a long time!

mrmiller
12-19-2003, 03:16 PM
I haven't read the books since High School- 12 years ago! And I only read them once, so I had a feel for the movies without really knowing everything. Now that the movies are complete, I plan on taking up the book again, starting next week over the long holiday. I know it will only enhance the movies after developing a better understanding of the characters and story.

=MATT=

stillakid
12-19-2003, 03:32 PM
Everyone should read the Hobbit if they have not. I actually like the Hobbit more than LOTR :crazed: !

I actually tried to read the Hobbit, but honestly, it was so poorly written that I have a hard time understanding how anyone, much less a high school aged kid, could get through it. And that's just the sentence structure, et al. Toss in a bunch of "dorky" "D&D" names ( ;) ) and you need to start taking notes to keep it all straight. I don't know, maybe you have to want to like it and I just don't want it enough.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-19-2003, 04:12 PM
I actually tried to read the Hobbit, but honestly, it was so poorly written that I have a hard time understanding how anyone, much less a high school aged kid, could get through it. And that's just the sentence structure, et al. Toss in a bunch of "dorky" "D&D" names ( ;) ) and you need to start taking notes to keep it all straight. I don't know, maybe you have to want to like it and I just don't want it enough.

Again, stillakid, we're on the same page. The only time I could really get into reading the Hobbit was last year when I decided I would read to my kids every night before bed. We started with the Hobbit at my 8-year-old's request. Reading it out loud helped with some of the plot, but as was mentioned in J9K's post I still didn't get many of the LOTR references because I hadn't read it yet.

I actually started reading LOTR with a notebook and dictionary because there were so many things to look up and write down to comprehend I was getting confused fast. I guess it's a double-edged sword. On one hand if your really into Tolkein it makes the whole middle-earth thing more real. However, if you just want a decent or casual read it can be frustrating.

JediTricks
12-20-2003, 01:18 AM
If any of this expanded scenes stuff helps flesh out the characters and the plot properly, I'll give them a look-see. But 44 extra minutes?! Does it come with a built in intermission or are you forced to just pick an arbitrary place to stop so you can go take a leak?I dislike the books immensely, but think very highly of the films. I saw FOTR and TTT extended versions at the Cinerama Dome last week, they did indeed flesh out some stuff a lot (didn't know that Aragorn was 87 years old, for example, which helps explain some of his expansive wisdom). However, they did NOT come with an intermission, which is why my group and I did not drink anything a few hours prior to the films - it was actually not a problem at all, though I still think the films could certainly use an intermission anyway - if it's good enough for Lawrence of Arabia & It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World, it's good enough for LOTR, plus I think it's classy and helps the audience digest what they saw in the first half.

I found the Hobbit to be readable, but only just. It's not as longwinded as LOTR, and gets interesting once it finds its true pace. I couldn't finish LOTR, I just don't like Tolkien's style. I recently found out that when my mom was in school, that was the only book she ever did Cliff's Notes on - and she's a speedreader with a 186 IQ! :D That explains why after I threw in the towel on the LOTR books, she gave me a copy of "Bored of the Rings" (a parody novel), which I nearly got in trouble for reading in class.

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 01:45 AM
All this talk about Tolkien's writing style reminds me of an FOTR review I read back in 2001, where the reviewer complained that the only negative aspect of FOTR was that it would get people to try reading the novels. An idea that the author strongly discouraged since, in his words, the novels were a "wasteland that drew you in unawares only to watch you die." lol

Anyways, I've read all the books and I don't mind Tolkien's style, even though it took some time to get used to. I definitely don't think it is as bad as stillakid's portrayal (but it wouldn't be the first time me and stillakid disagreed on something). Anyways, I still prefer CS Lewis' writing style over Tolkien's, but Tolkien is easily number two on my list of all-time favorite writers.

stillakid
12-22-2003, 11:24 AM
All this talk about Tolkien's writing style reminds me of an FOTR review I read back in 2001, where the reviewer complained that the only negative aspect of FOTR was that it would get people to try reading the novels. An idea that the author strongly discouraged since, in his words, the novels were a "wasteland that drew you in unawares only to watch you die." lol

Anyways, I've read all the books and I don't mind Tolkien's style, even though it took some time to get used to. I definitely don't think it is as bad as stillakid's portrayal (but it wouldn't be the first time me and stillakid disagreed on something). Anyways, I still prefer CS Lewis' writing style over Tolkien's, but Tolkien is easily number two on my list of all-time favorite writers.

Nice to see you're back! But how did my portrayal differ from yours? I merely said that it was difficult and you essentially agreed by stating that it took time to get used to it. Besides that, I clearly wasn't the only one stating that point of view. Just another example of "stillakid" being targeted. I don't get it. :confused:

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 12:17 PM
Nice to see you're back! But how did my portrayal differ from yours? I merely said that it was difficult and you essentially agreed by stating that it took time to get used to it. Besides that, I clearly wasn't the only one stating that point of view. Just another example of "stillakid" being targeted. I don't get it. :confused:

Does someone have a persecution complex? ;) :D

I just felt that your assessment of the books was a little harsher than it needed to be; but maybe I did single you out too much. Sorry about that. :nerv:

Anyways, I understand that Tolkien is something of an aquired taste and even then his writing is not for everyone.

Back to the actual topic of this thread, I think most of the added T2T scenes were more for character development and, as a whole, less essential to the story compared to the added FOTR scenes. That being said, however, I am really happy that the Huorns were put back into the film along with the Ent Draft scene.

But, if you didn't like the movie to begin with, I doubt these added scenes will change your mind in the slightest.

stillakid
12-22-2003, 05:05 PM
Does someone have a persecution complex? ;) :D

With valid reason. :D People 'round these parts don't cotton too much to hearing bad news and tend to take it out on the messenger. I've seen plenty of folks come to terms with what the Prequels really delivered (or didn't) and now have a similar attitude towards them that you yourself do. I don't like to say I told you so, but I told you so. :D

But I always give people and things the benefit of the doubt, so if there is additional footage available which could improve my opinion of the LOTR series, I'll happily watch it before nailing the lid on any coffin. :)

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 05:11 PM
I don't like to say I told you so, but I told you so. :D

It took me a while to come to grips with the idea of the prequels being a colossal let-down. Strangely enough, once I came to grips with that disappointment I was able to just relax and enjoy the movies for what they were. Which unfortunately wasn't much. :cry:

It's not that I stopped being a Star Wars fan, I just realized that I was never really much of a fan to begin with.

stillakid
12-22-2003, 05:35 PM
It took me a while to come to grips with the idea of the prequels being a colossal let-down. Strangely enough, once I came to grips with that disappointment I was able to just relax and enjoy the movies for what they were. Which unfortunately wasn't much. :cry:

It's not that I stopped being a Star Wars fan, I just realized that I was never really much of a fan to begin with.

I don't mean to stray too much from the topic, but I'm trying to now view the Prequels as being entirely Expanded Universe material. By defining their purpose, it gives the leaway necessary to better accept the myriad of problems having to do with continuity, character development, and just plain ol' lack of story quality...all characteristics I've come to expect from the majority of Expanded Universe tales. Not to say that some of it isn't decent, but since it's "over there," it's somehow easier to accept that it won't live up to the high standards set long ago. So hopefully, one day I'll be able to just sit down and "enjoy them for what they are," but the problem is that even if I manage to forget that they are Star Wars films, as independent examples of movies, they still aren't very good so far.

For all I've said about LOTR (which hasn't been much), it isn't a bad set of films. It just has failed to capture my interest in the same way that it has for countless others. As with most book-to-screen adaptations, there is invariably something amiss which detracts from it's overall attractiveness. In the case of LOTR, I suspect that there is so much plot...so much "stuff" to do and see, that what got lost in the process was the character development necessary to draw in those viewers, like me, who didn't already have a clue who anybody was or what it is they were up to. And admittedly, with a mere 2 hours or so to do it, it's a formidable task for anyone. I'm just not convinced that Peter Jackson, et al really accomplished it for anyone other than previous die-hard fans. I look forward to seeing the expanded footage with hopes that it puts answers to my many questions. :)

bigbarada
12-22-2003, 05:49 PM
Now that I think about it, my dad is the only person who really loved the movies without having read any of the books. But I think he's only really interested in the battle scenes.

Of course there is also Richard Roeper, the movie critic, who absolutely hated FOTR, was somewhat impressed by T2T and totally blown away by the majesty of ROTK. He even admits himself that he was never a fan of the books, but grew to really like the series about halfway through T2T.

JediTricks
12-23-2003, 01:43 AM
Hey! I not only stated I disliked the books, but I also didn't finish them. I went into FOTR knowing 3 characters: Gandalf, Frodo, & Bilbo - that's it, everything else was a total zilch for me, blocked, forgotten, or never read in the first place. And remember, I think these films are the bee's knees (and not mainly for the battle scenes, no offence to Barada's dad ;)). So, now you guys can say for sure you know at least one. For me, besides myself, my mother and her fiance are both quite taken with the series and never read the books.