PDA

View Full Version : Northern Lights

Exhaust Port
10-30-2003, 09:25 AM
We're in the middle of one of the largest displays of the northern lights in decades, has anyone gotten a good look at them? From what I've read online they are visible as far south as Texas which is amazing.

Last night I got the opportunity to watch them for about 1 hour as we flew from New England to Ohio. I had never seen them before and it was breath taking. From horizon to horizon they filled the sky. Sometimes in bands, sometimes in large billowing shapes. Just amazing. There was even some pretty good color at one point as most of the sky took a brilliant red hue. It was funny to listen to the pilots on frequency as they missed radio calls due to staring out the window at the Northern Lights. Of course that never happened to us. ;)

Tonight I'm on a short flight to Chicago and back so I'm really hoping to see them again. Very cool.

bobafrett
10-30-2003, 09:41 AM
Cool, but being as I live in a Subarb outside the city of Chicago, the stars even get wiped out my the "city lights". :~( If I remember, perhaps I can take a drive about an hour and a half West of here. I had to drive that far to see the last meteor shower.

scruffziller
10-30-2003, 09:59 AM
Aurora..........Borealis......

jeddah
10-30-2003, 10:52 AM
Tonight I'm on a short flight to Chicago and back so I'm really hoping to see them again. Very cool.

You have seen/read The Langoliers, right? :D

Have a care! ;)

jeddah

Exhaust Port
10-30-2003, 11:01 AM
You have seen/read The Langoliers, right?
Ugh, thanks for reminding me......blah.

LusiferSam
10-30-2003, 11:23 AM
Very cool. Red is the rare color. Unfortunately for me the last few days have been cloud and we're getting snowed on (finally), so in all likelihood I'm miss them.

Kidhuman
10-30-2003, 11:43 AM
My brother in law is staioned in Alaska in the army. He sees them all the time. He says they are amazing. I have never seen them and would love too.

scruffziller
10-30-2003, 12:13 PM
I found it weird in the movie GODS AND GENERALS that Lee and his boys were in the southern states admiring the Northern Lights.:D

bobafrett
10-30-2003, 01:36 PM
When I spent the summer working at an Island resort near Rainy Lake, Minnesota, they had a couple nights with the Northern lights. Quite beautiful I must say.

Exhaust Port
10-30-2003, 01:41 PM
I found it weird in the movie GODS AND GENERALS that Lee and his boys were in the southern states admiring the Northern Lights.:D
Well, when we have solar eruptions or flares of this magnitude it is possible to see the Northern Lights quite far south. As I stated in my first post the current events can be seen as far south as Texas, Georgia and the like. Not to mention that the lack of city glow in the late 1800's would make viewing even easier.

Jargo
10-30-2003, 01:42 PM
beautiful but the more we get the more the sun is going nuts. The more chance that satellites and communications will be disrupted and thet can mean only one thing - INVASION! keep watching the skies.......

LusiferSam
10-30-2003, 08:22 PM
My brother in law is staioned in Alaska in the army. He sees them all the time. He says they are amazing. I have never seen them and would love too.

What your brother in law sees in Alaska is very different from what we would see in the lower 48. High latitudes get more of a ribbon of light that dances around. As you go lower in latitude get a stretching out of this ribbon into more of a sheet. It has to due with the Earth's magnetic field lines. But no matter where you live if you see them it's jaw dropping.

jjreason
10-31-2003, 02:27 AM
Sadly enough I have never seen this display. I worked 40 miles south of Alaska for 3 and a half years, and never saw them at all. We were so socked in with rain and cloud that the sky was rarely if ever clear, and the days just never lined up. Quite a shame. I guess we can still see them from the Island here now and again, so I'll do my best to see them as soon as possible.

Exhaust Port
10-31-2003, 08:41 AM
Up until about 9:00 PM EST there was another showing of the Northern Lights last night but after that we saw no more than just a dim haze. I took a couple pictures as we flew by but I haven't downloaded them to see how they look. If I have a picture that's worth showing I'll post it here.

scruffziller
10-31-2003, 09:29 AM
Well, when we have solar eruptions or flares of this magnitude it is possible to see the Northern Lights quite far south. As I stated in my first post the current events can be seen as far south as Texas, Georgia and the like. Not to mention that the lack of city glow in the late 1800's would make viewing even easier.I was just hinting at the irony. I think the folks that made the movie were too.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
10-31-2003, 09:34 AM
Our family saw a spectacular display of the lights last night while driving to Buffalo. Unfortunately, I was driving and could not relish the sight as long as I would of liked. The most beautiful part was the color. I have been accustomed to seeing the typical white colored lights of the Northern Lights, but I also saw a pink, reddish haze to them. I wish I had a camera with me, for this sight might not be repeated for awhile. The best viewing was right after sunset, when the sky was first pitched in darkness. On our way home around 9:30 the lights ere barely visible.

According to NASA, the solar storm that is responsible for the sight, peaks at about once every 11 years. This last storm was a couple of years overdue, and as mentioned, could wreak havoc on satellites and even power grids. So far, haven't heard any reports on what damage it has caused.

Exhaust Port
11-01-2003, 12:07 PM
It's just about impossible to take a non-blurry picture from a moving platform so I didn't end up with any clear shots of the northern lights. Here's just about the best of the lot. This picture was taken 2 nights ago at 26,000 feet over central Michigan.

bobafrett
11-01-2003, 01:09 PM
Awesome picture Exhaust Port!

JediTricks
11-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Very cool EP!

InsaneJediGirl
11-02-2003, 08:41 PM
Neat picture :D

Living in Florida,I think we were just a bit too South to see them,although I did go outside and look for quite sometime.Eventually,I would like to go to Alaska or where ever the lights are to exprience the show first hand:)

TeeEye7
11-03-2003, 05:32 AM
Awesome photo!

The only red skies I get to see is at sunset....due to smog! :(

mabudonicus
11-03-2003, 10:36 AM
It's been too cloudy to see anything around here...

Odd thing happened last night, though... I was watching TV when I noticed a noise... a sort of low vibration or something... I( checked out all the places it could have been coming from, furnace and fridge and outside to see if it was a vehicle running, and couldn't find the source, as I went to bed it seemed to be coming from everywheres....
When I awoke, Jedielf said that the stereo was making the noise when she woke up, and that she turned it on then off again and it stopped.....
Knowing that speakers are magnetic and all, I figured it may have been caused by the recent solar excitement...
Anyone else have something like this happen????

LusiferSam
11-03-2003, 01:44 PM
It's just about impossible to take a non-blurry picture from a moving platform so I didn't end up with any clear shots of the northern lights. Here's just about the best of the lot. This picture was taken 2 nights ago at 26,000 feet over central Michigan.

What kind of camera did you use? A couple of years I ago I tried to take a photo of the northern lights and got a black sky, no color at all :( .

Exhaust Port
11-04-2003, 09:04 PM
I used my Olympus C4000 digital camera with a 6 second shutter setting. Because the shutter is open so long it really intensifies the color. The Northern Lights had a brillient red to them but the picture really makes them stand out. I just wish I was on non-moving terra-firma to get a better/nonblurry picture. Maybe the next display....