PDA

View Full Version : Non-Completist Collector Support Group

Tycho
10-30-2003, 04:01 PM
Hello,

My name is Tycho, and I'm a non-completist. The politically correct term is "selective consumer," but let's face it: that doesn't really describe a person who has overcome obsessive-compulsive disorders.

The purpose of this support group is to provide a home for those victimized by Hasbro, and their partners in corporate crime, Target, Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Kay-Bee, K-mart, several online retailers, e-Bay, and others.

Here you can list what you are NOT buying and why, to help others overcome and gain strength from the sharing.

I will begin by hereby taking the pledge to not buy:

Any and all Clone Wars Animated Figures: I think they look like cute, but I should get a whole happy meal with them, or not even bother.

12" Obi-Wan. I have 2 of the 1996, and they are superior even for then!

12" Jawa 2-pack. I got a little rodent. There's more to the SW universe than a bunch of these guys. Do a "purchase of the droids scene" with your 3 3/4". Don't need Jawas here.

Saga Emperor Palpatine - having an action figure from Jenny Craig and Beyond is not my idea of fun. He's a little too strange, and too much a resculpt to be needed by me.

Durge on his Swoop Bike - unless this vehicle starts appearing in cool EU stuff I want to recreate with my toys, I doubt I'll need it.

12" Leia on Speederbike - Barbie's smile has no place in a SW collection. Furthermore, the 12" lets you have 2 riders on a bike, so I will wait in hopes of a single-box Leia Endor, with a new face sculpt. Leia doesn't smile (that often). Get it?

Kit Fisto Swimming. Unless this scene turns out to be totally cool. If it's possible to pose him neutral, and put a Jedi Cloak on him so you can't tell he's half-naked, he might be useful for Palpatine's Office scenes... That remains to be seen.

SaeSee Tiin Pilot - ditto. I don't think I'm going to create EU scenes with ships. I have about 3 extra SS T's as it is right now (1 POTJ, 2 Saga). I'm good on Tiin.

Anakin Skywalker's starfighter - ditto, but I'm breaking down here. It's pretty cool.

Luke Hologram. I'm not really doing that scene from Jabba's Palace. I'm doing the scene where he draws the gun on Jabba. That's cooler. I think the hologram's cool, but I don't need it.

Lando Skiff Guard (Saga) - got 2 in my scenes. Don't need a new one. The old one's a great figure!

Destroyer Droid Launcher - uh, just to get 1 rolled up droid for my scenes isn't worth it. If they do an accessory set and include these, that'd be hot.

Anyway, I think that's it. I'm weak in some places in my commitment, but I recognize that, and with your help, the help of my group, my community, I can overcome!

Yes, we shall all overcome!

amidalak
10-30-2003, 04:16 PM
:crazed: look deep into my eyes, you will not break down and buy these toys, you will not break down and buy these toys...oooohhh, aaahhh :crazed:

jedi master sal
10-30-2003, 05:47 PM
Hi, my name is Sal and I'm a non-completist.

I pledge to not buy the repacked figures. Including but not limited to Gold Saga Han, Leia, Maul and C-3PO.

I will fight the urge to buy the new Lando Skiff, but I'm towing the line with that one.

I already succumbed to the Darkside and bought the hideous new Emperor. Please forgive me. I was weak... :(

I will not buy anymore single carded Clone Wars figures when I can get a better deal on the Bonus packs.

I will only buy ONE of Anakin's Starfighter and open it!

I know there's more but that's all I can think of at the moment.

Tycho
10-30-2003, 06:10 PM
Your courage has shown me great strength.

I will also pledge not to buy the repacks.

I've already been only searching for the 2-packs with bonus Clones for my 1st asst. of CW figures. I might buy 1 more ARC Trooper on the single card, but will give it some time to see if the Bonus Packs surface some more.

I also don't require:

Holiday Yoda
Silver Clone Trooper (or any silver figures for that matter)

And I pledge to stay off of Hasbro's e-Bay auction thing unless they offer an Eopie with Qui-Gon Jinn, or some new characters that I don't yet have options to get at retail - like J'Quille or something.

Oh, I also pledge to cut a deal with someone who wants an extra B'Omarr Monk, to split the cost so that I can just get Bubo and the other thing.

I've also not bought the Hoth Pack because I only want the TaunTaun and Luke.

And I have not bought the Bounty Hunter pack because I only want Aurra Sing's swoop bike.

And I never bought the Imperial Forces multi-pack because I don't need any more of those figures.

Turbowars
10-30-2003, 06:58 PM
Wow, there really are Freaky non-completist. It's you guys that let the figures warm the pegs! Down with the NC'c, I SAY!!!!!!!:p

InsaneJediGirl
10-30-2003, 09:32 PM
Hi,I'm InsaneJediGirl,and I'm not a completist (All : Hi)

I dont plan on buying any repacks,Pilot Tiin,Holiday Yoda,Sliver Clonetrooper(Its hideous),12" Leia & 12" Jawas,Durge on Swoop..Although I am leaning towards not buying a single-carded verison,I'll have to wait to see how low they'll go:DI really cant think of much else,since the Lando Skiff and Holographic Luke are nice:D

Turbowars
10-30-2003, 10:42 PM
Now that's a scary Avatar JediGirl!!!!!!!!!:evil:

InsaneJediGirl
10-30-2003, 10:49 PM
Thank you Turbowars.Rabid Amanaman is quite nice as well :D :evil:

bobafrett
10-31-2003, 12:41 AM
Does a non completist count if you just can't afford "everything" needed to make you a completist? I would fall under that category. Also, I can't always find certain figures. Tonight was a good example, I was going through eBay listings, and found the Han and Tauntaun beast pack, not the 12" ones mind you, the smaller version. Well up until I saw that, I never knew it existed (as far as I can remember). I try to be a completist in the 3 3/4" and 12" figures, but only as much as I can afford.

Tycho
10-31-2003, 01:04 AM
No BobaBrett: you're faking!

I've consulted Miss Cleo about you and after spending some time on her 976 line, I've learned this about you:

you're only hiding behind an incomplete collection!

Your actual desire is to get your hands on every piece of SW merchandise that you already know or never knew existed!

Your true motivation for increasing your income is to buy all the plastic that you didn't know existed and that was shaped into little Star Wars forms.

Yes, your real heart is shaped like a lightsaber. Don't think we can't tell!

You're trying to find out what we're not buying, only because you then think you will be able to purchase more of it - without the competition!

The Han Solo and TuanTaun is a nice piece, but you admitted you were scrounging on e-Bay looking for more and more things to buy.

More, more, more. Does it ever end?

You see, you must recognize your addiction before it is the end of you.

I've seen people lie, cheat, steal, maim others, maybe even kill other Christmas shoppers for an Ephant Mon.

But once you start on the dark path, you might even find yourself going that far over a Darth Maul .0000 variant! Then where would you be!

You must confront this denial you create within you. You must learn control. Resistance. Balance.

Face the truth: Repacks Suck! - and how many freakin' Twi'Lek dancing girls do we really need?

(well, OK, she's kinda hot, so I'm buying that one, but really...)

Make it stop before you end up like others here and own a Jango Fett Kamino Escape with the little gold edge to the card - LIKE IT'S ANY DIFFERENT FROM THE ONE YOU BOUGHT LAST YEAR!

Stop! Before you go crazy! We'll try to help you if we can - but we're all sick here. It's the most I can do to try and get a little better every day.

Oh hopelessness, oh despair, oh no! Not another ARC Trooper variation!

bobafrett
10-31-2003, 01:11 AM
You got me pegged to a T there Tycho! I'd stick around for thearapy, but I hear an auction going on for a collectible I might just not have......yet.

I'm coming mother eBay!

sith_killer_99
10-31-2003, 07:16 AM
Ah yes, I too have gone to the non-completist side of collecting. It was the horrific SAGA line that did it to me. I refuse to buy any of the SAGA Deluxe figures (except Clone with Speeder bike).

I also will not collect Hasbro's 12 inch line. There are, of course a few exceptions, mostly the 6 inch (12 inch scale) stuff, such as Yoda, R2-D2, R2-A6, etc and a few Droids/Bounty Hunters such as IG-88, 4-LOM, etc. Let's face it, the Marmit stuff is just too good to justify buying Hasbro's garbage.

I have also vowed never to buy that hidious new Emperor.

However, I have bought the re-packs. I did it with the vintage stuff, I did it with the POTF2 line and I am doing it with the SAGA line. In fact, I already have 'em all; Jango, C-3PO, Luke, Leia, Han, Vader and Maul...that is all right?

Anyway, I gave up early in the SAGA line, poor quality figures and cheap gimmicks seriously turned me off to the line. It is clear to me that 2001-2002 will forever reamin a dark period in the history of Star Wars collecting.

However, I have to admit, the Clone Wars line and most (not all) of the newer SAGA stuff seems to have breathed new life into the hobby. Maybe I am the victim of Army building. Maybe all these new Clones with their multi color armor have blinded me to some insidious plan of Hasbro's. But, I am more happy with Star Wars collecting than I have been since they cancelled the greatest Star Wars line of all time (Power of the Jedi).

So, the answer honestly, I was a HARD CORE completist, collecting major variations (long sabers, short sabers, etc.) along with foreign packaging variations upto, and including the Power of the Jedi line.

SAGA broke me of that, and as a result I spent 2 years in bitter frustration.

But it seems that a new day may be dawning. And remember, SAGA is not our only hope....there is another....

Kidhuman
10-31-2003, 08:43 AM
I am a non completist as well. I will not buy any clone wars aninmated. I only buy the characters I want to get. No repacks. Mostly get the figures I like.

Tycho
10-31-2003, 02:19 PM
SithKiller, there's hope for you - but you have to stay away from those re-packs... "Just say No!"

If it helps, get out one of your extra $.99 Darth Maul commtech figure cards and spend quality time at home, making it blue while finger painting.

(do this with adult supervision).

Han Solo CommTech also had been on clearance at one point. Perhaps you have extras of those?

Studies have shown painting to be very therapeutic. Equate the costs of buying extra blue colorings, versus the price of the new figures.

I think one $3.00 jar of "Marine Blue" and another of "Twilight Purple" to blend in for the blue-back's fade effect should work. $6.00 is the price of only 1 figure after tax!

But you could paint Leia, Maul, Jango (doesn't really need to be painted), Han, C-3PO FB, and more that are sure to come. A couple bottles of paint help you through more than their share of repack-itiss.

This is also a great cure for the KebCo "one of every figure club."

People, look to your alternatives: buy blue paint now - before it's too late!

(Note, wear a smock to protect your clothing, and don't touch the walls while you're painting, to help avoid other kinds of emotional distress)

Rest assure others who witness you doing this that you are fine and "getting back to normal."

Val Da Car
10-31-2003, 02:41 PM
Hi All.....

I was a non completist since I only wanted to do 2 or 3 scenes....

Scene 1: Imperial Hangar Bay from any of the OT movies.....Imp Shuttle (only $79 from KBToys) Tie Interceptor, 2 (Saga) Tie Fighters, Tie Bomber....then figures....stormtroopers....emperor...Vader (so many to choose from.....potf,saga,potj)....

Scene 2: Rebel Hangar (ROTJ) Shuttle, A Wings, X Wings, Y & B Wings....pilots for each vehicle and ground crew (stoopid Target Accessory Packs) and it keep growning...

Scene 3: Genonsis (Jedi Battle/Ground Battle/Dooku Hangar Scene) All Jedi from the scene (and some home crafted ones like Ewok Celebration Leia as the Oriental Jedi Girl) Ground Vehicle (from Clone Wars), and currently about 130+ droids and Clone troopers from everything POTJ Sneek Preview, Red Clones, CW Clone packs, now ARC troopers (just saw some red ones at Walmart today at lunch) and four Gunships......yipes.....

This could get worse since I am interested in the Durge w/Swoop & the Clone trooper on speeder bike....

plasticfetish
10-31-2003, 03:34 PM
Hello, My name is Tycho, and I'm a non-completist.
Seriously? Or it just that you have no more room left in your home at this point? (kidding!)

-----

There is so much that I won't buy (or can't find), that I don't know where to start.

12" figures - haven't bought one since Dooku, and that's been about it for a while. (Still P'd that we didn't get a 3PO from AOTC.) I really liked this line and still do, there's been a few good ones, but I've really lost my enthusiasm in General. I will be skipping the lame looking Jawas ... but, I'll probably buy Garindan.

Unleashed - I'm not an "unleashed" kind of person. I'm not even happy with most (or all really) of the 3 3/4" figures that we've gotten that look like those.

Re-released stuff (figures, vehicles) - Look, it's fine if you never got it the first time around and want it now, but I'm not convinced that this stuff is being made as well the second time around. The one Vader figure that I did buy was not so great. Haven't bought any of the redone vehicles (maybe if they go on clearance, but I don't "need" them".)

I'm glad to see that there are plenty of people (and deservedly so) that hate the new Emperor figure. The Saga line has shown improvements, but there are still the occasional dogs ... more than enough reason to give up on being a completist. (If you hadn't already done that ages ago.)

Clone Wars Animated - Maybe, if they look great AND if the cards look really cool. Mostly, it's going to have a lot to do with how they look carded. If we're looking at some really boring and generic packaging (like what we've had for most of the Saga line) then I'll pass. I've really enjoyed the non-animated Clone Wars stuff ... so, if it keeps up quality wise, then I'll continue to buy. But, no Durge. I'm pretty certain that I'm never going to want that figure ... I may change my mind once I see it in person, but I doubt it.

... and on and on, mostly I'll wait to see them in person before I really decide. There've been so many quality problems in the past few years ... I can't help but be somewhat pessimistic when it comes to the future.

Do you get some kind of special pin or something if you've been a non-completist for more than a year or two at this point?

Jaff
10-31-2003, 07:08 PM
I am a non completist completest. That means that I get every single 3 3/4 character that appears in the films only. I pass on all clone wars stuff unless they appeared in the films like clone trooper three pack, Hailfire Droid, and Geonosian Fighter. I will ignore the animated figs, and rehased vehicles like the Gunship, ATT Tank, Jedi Starfighter. I also get every 12" of the Classic films but ignore rehashes unless they improve the original. There is a method to my selecting madness, and it is as follows.

12" = Buy every classic character from protrait editions, to exclusives. I then open up every figure. I only buy a rehased figure is unless it is better than the previous one. The Jawas and Ben I will pass on. However I did buy the Han in Stormtrooper because I thought his head was a much better version. I really found out that I refuse to buy prequel 12" figures when I passed on Dooku. I really loved that 12" figure, but I refused to buy it because I really don't want prequel 12", just the 3 3/4 versions. It's just too much.

Vehicles = Buy every vehicle for every movie just not EU ones. Anakins Jedi Starfighter, Deluxe Speeder Bike with Clone Trooper are all not in the films so I don't consider them Star Wars (I know people will not like me for saying that - the positive side of this is there is more for those who love EU stuff). I did buy the Dagobah X-Wing with R2 because the vehicle was way better than the POTF and Electronic one.

3 3/4 = Buy every single figure of a new figure. I bought Shaak Ti, Luminara, Ayy Vid even though I think they are all pretty poor figures. I will buy vehicles just for one figure. For instance I bought the AT-ST walker with Speederbike just for Paploo. I bought the Naboo Royal Starship just for the R2 unit. I will buy EU vehicles if they have a film character in it. I bought the mini trade federation tank just for the blue Battle Droid.

I am a stickler for my formula, and it serves me because I am a completest, but then again I am not a completist. :crazed:

Devo
10-31-2003, 09:11 PM
I will ignore any figure I deem to be crap. Droid factory R2 D2 a clear-cut case in point- it is crap for the scene it purports to 'recreate' and totally useless for any other display you might conceive of. The new emperor is likewise irredeemably poor- at no point in ROTJ was his face as visible as that and I can't seem to remember him ever turning his head in the way this figure has it. Meanwhile the hood is inexplicably 'tall'.

I will ignore repacks of any figure I already have...unless its one that I could do with adding to a particular diorama that is lacking a decent version of the given character. For example, as I only have one commtech stormtrooper it pains me that for so many diorama possibilities only one of these gets a good stormtrooper...I missed the 4-set rerelease and none of these other army builder OT figures have materialised in Ireland.
I WILL buy any repack of a figure I previously missed (obviously). For example Teebo and Eeth Koth.

I will ignore anything that wasn't in the films.

But by god I WILL buy the entirety of the OT figures for 2004 if it means the third world remains undeveloped for all eternity and walnesh's mother has to walk for days to that well only to find an obscene smelling gelatinous mass of wildebeast nostril puss where that water should be.....yeah that took about 5 minutes to think up if you're wondering..

Tycho
10-31-2003, 09:41 PM
Seriously? Or it just that you have no more room left in your home at this point? (kidding!)

Just about. I've been cleaning and clearing and making space today. All day I've struggled against the urge to go to Target and buy another ARC Trooper.
I'm obsessed with the idea. I'm trying to stave it off until tomorrow morning, so I can at least get my home ready for new figures, plastic blister cards, receipts, and little red and white plastic bags.

I'm supposed to only buy sets with the free extra Clone. Having....trouble....resisting!

Must consume.
Must consume.
Follow my programming.
Must consume.

(So) Do you get some kind of special pin or something if you've been a non-completist for more than a year or two at this point?

No (and yes). You get to keep all the money you saved and can do whatever the heck you want with it. It's your dough. If you buy a stupid pin, you'll also notice that you have saved at least a square inch of room in your place so you have somewhere to put it while you're not wearing it.

bobafrett
11-01-2003, 01:34 AM
If I had a million dollars, I'd have a place so full of Star Wars stuff, I wouldn't have room to sleep. :~)

Tycho
11-01-2003, 03:26 AM
If you had a million dollars, the taxes on that alone would keep you up all night!

Kidhuman
11-01-2003, 09:54 AM
If I had a million dollars, I would be a completist. :D

kool-aid killer
11-01-2003, 10:49 AM
I buy all background characters that i can find. Ive picked up both the Imperial Forces and Hoth four packs from TRU. I usually dont buy many versions of the main figures because ive already got enough of them. I only get vehicles i like. Ive avoided the 12 inch line and Lego lines too. They look nice but i dont have enough money to collect them like i would want to. Im not into variations or errors and dont really care if a card is .0000 or not. I like the animated figures look and plan on picking them up. I wouldnt say im a completist but i buy a lot of the things Hasbro offers.

bobafrett
11-01-2003, 12:40 PM
If you had a million dollars, the taxes on that alone would keep you up all night!

Well, I don't think it would be taxes as much as it would be the Gold Digger type women trying to win me over through, well, you know. :D

Okee Day!

LusiferSam
11-01-2003, 01:13 PM
Hi my name is my own and I'm a non-complelist. Heres what I won't buy.

Vintage: Ewoks or Droids figures. Mini rigs, body rigs and Droids vehicles. The exemption is the A-Wing.

Dolls

Repacks

Rehased vehicles

Animated Clone Wars figures

Clone Wars figures not in Movies

That's all I can stomach for the time being. I need all the help I can get to stay a non-completist, so I may lean on a lot of people.

stillakid
11-01-2003, 03:36 PM

You wouldn't have said "kidding" if you had actually seen his place! ;) (Is there still a battle happening on the kitchen table, Tycho?)

Completist? Guess not. I don't buy all of the 12", only the ones that I like, which so far have been the Biker Scout with Speeder Bike, the Leia with Speeder Bike (I gave Leia to my 5 year old daughter), and the new 12" Biker Scout (to ride on Leia's Speeder). :)

I also don't get all the Action Force or Micromachine stuff. Only that which I like, which hasn't really been much for a few years now.

But I do make the attempt to get ALL the 4" stuff, except for silly "errors" and such.

Tycho
11-01-2003, 08:03 PM
OK, I admit I have a problem.

The Battle of Geonosis IS happening on my kitchen table.

There resides the Arena Playset with a Republic Gunship landed squarely in the center of it, Clones and Jedi fighting off the droids.

But is it really that bad? I have 2 edges where people can still sit and enjoy a meal with some scenery....

Is that a thermal detonator in my Cherrios?

Eventually, I will have a "red room" for scenes mostly on Geonosis, but also on Tatooine, from the prequels. This is what I want a new, large house for. (I'm single and live alone because nobody else would put up with this).

I will have either one large table, or two low tables put together to form a large square in the center of the room.

There will be 2 Arena Playsets back to back, separating two different scenes.

SCENE 1: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan will be riding the Reek, surrounded by destroyers as the other droids attack the Jedi and the Separatists watch from the balcony. Mace will be falling off the balcony as Jango spouts flames. Coleman Trebor will be alive and fighting in this scene. From a plexiglass cover, I will hang deluxe flying Geonosians with sonic guns. The Acklay and Nexu will both be alive (I'm taking creative liberty with the Nexu here, since it already should be dead). C-3PO's head is on a droid body, and another BD head is on 3PO's old body. R2 is trying to get to him.

SCENE 2: (You walk around to the other side to see this) The Attack of the Clones is happening! Two Republic Gunships are attacking the arena. The balcony is deserted except for Dooku and Boba Fett, the latter, hiding in the corner. On one Gunship is Yoda and all the Clones I can fit, in various fighting poses. This one will hang from the plexiglass (or real glass) cover over the whole battle (this keeps cats and dust away - since I like to look - not constantly re-set-up my figures - WHY I USE REALSTANDS!) The other gunship, the one I have on my kitchen table, is SaeSee Tiin's. He is defending it while Luminara, Shaak-Ti, and Eeth Koth are boarding it so the Clones can carry them to safety. Plo Koon, Aayla Secura, Mace Windu, Ki-Adi Mundi, and the Nikto Jedi and maybe more will be still engaged in the ground battle, waiting for other gunships to land (like Yoda's) so they can get to safety. Unopened, I have Anakin, Padme, and Obi-Wan figures waiting for them to make the lizard creature and execution cart that Geonosian picadors drive. I'm not sure what I'll pose Obi-Wan doing, but Anakin and Padme will be riding in the cart, Padme on the lizard, Anakin inside the wagon. I'm hoping and hoping Hasbro will make this for my scene! It's the best place I could incorporate this beast-vehicle!

Anyway, to walk around this whole display and see everything, I need to have it in the very center of a room, and standing about 3.5- 4.5 feet tall.

I used my kitchen table to see if the size is right (in which case I'd buy two more kitchen tables for this room in my new house) and IT ALSO HELPS ME LEARN HOW MANY CLONES, DROIDS, and JEDI I'll need to set this up - and how much space it will take.

I call it "test setting," and I do it for every large scene that has lots of extras and army builders, so I know exactly how much to buy, and what prices would be acceptable to pay for all those elements going into it.

Note, I'm not using the Jedi Army 3-pack in this one, as I now have enough Jedi going into the scene that I'd be hard-pressed to find places for Baltar Swan or Sora Bulq if they made them figures (though I hope so). But then I'd have to add 4 more droids to keep the Separatist forces a threat, so my fight maintains the same ratio between the two opposing forces.

A lot goes into planning these, but it's really a lot of fun, and a nice challenge (like a puzzle) to figure it all out.

Just for the curious, in the 2nd display so far:

9 Sneak Peak Clones
2 Red Clone Captains
8 Republic Gunship Pilots
12 Jedi (not all engaged)
9 Battle Droids
7 Super Battle Droids

That's 31 versus 16 (not counting Dooku since he's not engaged)

True, the Republic overwhelmed and smashed Geonosis - that's the idea in the movie and what I'm showing here, but I have it as Republic over Separatist in a 2 to 1 ratio, so I can't add any more Jedi, unless I bolster my droids.

I think there was better odds than that for the droids in the movie, so if I decide to forfeit my place to eat my Cheerios, I may add additional droids, by as many as 10-16.

I'd likely do this when I'm ready to pack it up and close the scene until I have my house and room, and display base for this huge endeavor. That way I won't go long without room to eat. Heh-heh-heh.

But the idea is to do something like what Hasbro did at ComicCon, but fitting these 2 scenes into the area they did one large scene. I still wouldn't sacrafice the room to do that large of scene.

The other thing is my Battle of Geonosis (ground war scene) will be much smaller:

1 Hailfire Droid
2 Geonosian Fighters
Dooku's speederbike (retreating)
Trade Federation Droid Fighters (to beef up the Seppies)
A Spider Droid walker (when they make one)
2 mini-spider droids
Pretty big lines of about 50 droids

versus

2 Republic Gunships - Anakin's and Yoda's
1 AT-TE Walker (I'm saving room and hoping)
1 Jedi Starfighter (Adi Gallia's)
25-30 Clones and Jedi combined into squads

All this should fit into a 6 foot long display case against one wall, that is about 4 feet high (to hang the Gunships in it) and is custom-made to be just barely wide enough for the wingspans of the gunships (not side-by side! no!) I test set this one on my kitchen floor to see how wide my droid columns needed to be to equal the wingspan of the gunship. I have enough droids and clones for this scene already.

Most of my stockpiling of Clones and Droids will be for Episode 3 scenes which i have no idea of what they will look like. I simply want the figures now, so that I can build scenes as soon as I see the sneak-peak comic book of E3, or anything else that will set me off all excited to go at it again.

I'm a non-completist because for every repack or bad Emperor figure I turn down, I can justify spending my money on another droid or Clone.

Kidhuman
11-01-2003, 08:58 PM
I also donot buy all the 12" line. I bought 4 of them this year because I wanted to buy something. I also do not get all vehicles or droids, ewoks, or legos. Micromachines arent purchased either. The 3.75 line, I like to try and get them all, but have passed on a few of them.

InsaneJediGirl
11-02-2003, 08:57 AM
The reason I am mainly a non-completist is the crap Hasbro puts out at times.Droid Factory R2-D2?No Thanks,my POTF2 one is just fine.Same for the multiple Jangos,(Did we really need a pilot?No)Mauls,and countless Tatooine Lukes.2004 looks like I might have to buy more than this year,better looking so far.The only thing I have from the 12" Line is Dooku,although I do plan on getting a Vader and the new Obi-Wan.I have a few Legos,but those were picked up on clearance,so it balances everything out:)

To me the repacks are dumb,because any new collector can get the orginal release most of the time cheaper off of a trading forum/eBay.

Tycho
11-02-2003, 03:51 PM
Kids can't get them though. They want to tap the market when the kid in the Target toy isle suddenly says "Look Mommy: I want Star Wars! I want Anakin or Obi-Wan Kenobi!"

Note, that happens after they have Power Rangers, Batman, MOTU, HotWheels, Pokemon, Digimon, etc. etc. - but it does happen.

Kids can't impulse buy off e-Bay, and adult non-collectors won't go looking for it, but might decide differently if they randomly saw a display in the toy isle.

I met a guy yesterday, who didn't collect SW figures, who looked in Target because he saw me intently looking.

He bought the Saga repacks of Han, Leia, and Maul and left the Waitress Droid Wat Tambor, and Faytooni on the pegs.

He looked at the back of the packaging and he said he planned to get a few of the main characters that he liked. I guess he was 25-30 years old.

I know he wanted Vader and Luke, but they didn't have them.

InsaneJediGirl
11-02-2003, 09:33 PM
I met a guy yesterday, who didn't collect SW figures, who looked in Target because he saw me intently looking.

He bought the Saga repacks of Han, Leia, and Maul and left the Waitress Droid Wat Tambor, and Faytooni on the pegs.

He looked at the back of the packaging and he said he planned to get a few of the main characters that he liked. I guess he was 25-30 years old.

Thats how it all starts out.Give him a few more months and he'll be one of us.Second,What kids are you talking about Tycho?I havent seen or heard of anyone under 12 buying a Star Wars Figure since the movie came out.:crazed:

Tycho
11-02-2003, 10:06 PM
The kids who are bored after they have Spiderman, Batman, Superman, MOTU, Power Rangers, Digimon, Pokemon, Legos, HotWheels, etc. etc.

I think I was unusual for a kid:

I collected ONLY Star Wars toys, but I had to have everything (vintage days) and that included 12".

I did get Six Million Dollar Man stuff.

I got some Micronauts.

I collected Voltron when they came out with the ones with the figures that went in the lions, and I liked the ones that were the cars and formed 3 larger vehicle crafts besides Voltron himself.

I got Go-Bots, but quit for Transformers.

I had a huge Transformers collection, but got frustrated with it when they made Rodimus Prime into a dork, and brought Optimus back, with hard-to-belive story, yet if they could do that, they couldn't bring Ironhide, Wheeljack, and some of the others back.

Once the Transformers continuity went out the window, I gave it up. Plus the toys went from metal, realistic looking cars, to cheap plastic, neon colored what-ever-you-call-its.

What I really would have liked from Transformers would have been 14"-16" robots that played as action figures, fully poseable, with all the weapons they used in the cartoons, but large enough to hide all their vehicle parts, until they transformed.

That is, Ironhide and Ratchet wouldn't have mini-van windshields for heads, but would look like they did in the show.

And Sunstreaker could bend at the shoulders and knees, and pose his legs independently of each other, yet still transform. And RC could have been made....

OK, I think I needed to vent about Transformers or something and we are WAAAAY off topic with that...

Boba Fetish
11-03-2003, 04:59 AM
Oh, that is so funny about the Transformers Tycho. I wanted the exact same things especially in respects to Ironhide and Ratchet. Also wished that Starscream and the like didn't require removing the front wheel and sticking it in the cockpit to transform them. I don't know why, but I found that real annoying as a kid. I also wanted a figure of RC too.

Going back on track; I am a non completist too and only buy 3 & 3/4" stuff. I don't buy repacks and if a superior version of a figure comes out, I buy it and sell the old. If I am debating on two or more versions of a figure I will cutomize them into one figure by combining the best aspects of each version, i.e. Mauls, Obi Wans, Jangos. I also do not keep crappy pack-ins when there are much better single card verions of the same figure, i.e. Anakin and Dooku speeders. I also did not buy DF Crap2-D2. I only army build if each component of each army can differ from one another. I did like the comm tech Stormie and did buy several of these. I kept one the same and made minor changes to the others to make them all different.

mark2d2
11-03-2003, 03:07 PM

I know he wanted Vader and Luke, but they didn't have them.

Yep, he will definitely be back.

That's exactly how it started for me. I walked out of Star Tours during my first visit to Disneyland since moving to California and wave 1 of POTF 2 was just hanging on the pegs. . . I hated the bulky He-man look of many of the figs, but R2-D2 and C3-P0 looked really great! (Gone was Artoo's Sticker and he had a third leg!!!) Now, I hadn't even been in a toy aisle in a decade. . . I had no idea what these were. At the time, I took them to be some really cool park exclusive and snapped up my two favorite droids and, even cooler, a TIE FIGHTER! My vintage had died years and years ago, sadly.

At the time, I thought I had just picked up a few new toys.

Soon though, I found myself really, REALLY wanting that Stormtrooper figure that was on the box. The one figure that was NOT on the pegs at Star Tours. . .

The rest is history.

I have no problem with them reissuing the old classics. Better this than all new sculpts of characters that have already pretty much been done to perfection. (I will buy any new Leia that comes down the pipe. It is useless to resist. . .) Putting out sculpts I already have saves me money! And maybe I'll finally get that blasted comtech Hooded Leia that has been eluding me for years.

PS --- By the way, Tycho. You weren't that wierd. I pretty much ONLY collected Star Wars and Lego (Town mainly) as a kid. I simply don't recall have any other action figures and looking through the old photo albums pretty much confirms this. . .

jedi-cpa
11-06-2003, 09:29 AM
buy any repacked figure if it was once already packed on a single card. (luke leia han)

I pledge to not buy bonus two packs (unless someone tells me the clone in the bonus pack is different than a clone you'd get from another item. Then to have at least one I'd have to buy a bonus 2 pack)

I pledge to not buy slightly repainted vehicles (republic gunship and ATT)

I pledge not to buy every hair color of imperial officers and rebel soldiers.

I pledge not to buy every single color of clone trooper (unless the stuff lands on clearance one day, then I am all over that stuff).

I pledge to not to spend the ridiculous amount on a VLix figure that I will never be able to verify is real or not, because there are so many customs floating around out there. (that and Blue snaggle being the only vintage figs I still need)

Finally I pledge not to go crazy when there is a convention exclusive that I will never own such as Silver vader and Jorg Sacul...oh who am I kidding, that stuff drives me insane!!!!

JetsAndHeels
11-06-2003, 09:59 AM
I used to be a completist. For the longest time I would buy any Star Wars figure that was released. It did not matter if it was the 10th Darth Maul or 8th Jango Fett. I had to have it.
It all changed right after the Saga figures were released around Episode II. I looked at my stash and thought to myself "why do I buy all these resculpts and figures I don't really like all that much?" That was when I decided just to let loose, and only buy the ones I truly wanted.
Life as a collector has been so much easier since then. I have not changed my toy hunting habits, but when I go out on a run it makes things easier as far as saving money and not stressing over a lack of new figures. Hasbro makes enough bank on these things without having to re-hash endless copies of the same old figures.

Tycho
11-20-2003, 08:56 PM
I think I'm going to pass on several of the new items shown:

TIE Pilot: As a longtime collector, I definitely don't need him, as I was around for this figure's release many times before (with or without vehicles).

Gold Leader: It's a cool figure, but my Rebel Base Diorama probably doesn't need more pilots. I have a place reserved for RED Leader in my scene, but I'm not too interested in adding more after I customized several pilots back in the day, and added Porkins, who noticibly stands out.

Unleashed Luke: It's started to grow on me a little bit, probably because I haven't looked at the picture of this item in a while. I guess I want one under other circumstances, but I'm still likely not going to buy this product.

Unleashed CloneTrooper: same situation. It's slightly better than the Luke figure, but I don't really like the way it is done.

I'm not a completist and just feel I should be satisfied with my purchase - or I should find it useful for my dioramas and displays.

The Jedi Battle 4-pack is another totally useless such item. I'm not going to do the detention device scene, and it's a pretty big rip-off to have to purchase those figures again to get that stupid thing that ought to have been in some kind of strictly accessories-only package, like the Episode One stuff was done.

This is the least value for your money of any of those 4-packs:

1(being best) Imperials 4-pack (didn't buy it anyway)- but you get:

New AT-ST Driver
New R4 astromech droid
debatably useful E-webb cannon
Stormtroopers (which are always useful)
Vader - repainted, but from a good sculpt.

2) Hoth Set, gets you:

TaunTaun with Belly-slit exclusively available here
New R3 Droid many astromech fans wanted.
The rest is rehashes we don't need or can find somewhere else (as collectors - it's still good for kids, mind you).

3) Bounty Hunter set, gets you:

Aurra Sing's Swoop bike - a cool accessory I wish I had (and am still trying to trade for)
Fett 300 if you never got him for whatever reason (it's a good figure, so I guess it's good for the kids, but it does nothing for collectors).

4) Jedi Set, gets you:

Nothing but that darn detention device, which amounts to 3 pieces of plastic :rolleyes:

It's great to be a non-completist!