PDA

View Full Version : So, what COMICS did you buy this week?

Pages : [1] 2

jjreason
10-30-2003, 09:28 PM
Hear-ye, hear-ye! This thread hereby replaces the OLD thread similarly titled. Please tell us what you're buying (and why if the mood strikes), how you liked it, and snippits of what happened (if you have the time). Without further ado...

NEW COMICS! Purchased Oct 28, 2003

**PLease note, our shipment was delayed until Thursday this week, for some reason, so I don't have any real "new" books yet.**

Uncanny X-Men Draco Part IV
New X 148
FF: Authoratative Action Part III
Amazing SPidey 500
Ultimate 6 #3
Planetary 17 (amazing)
Thor: Vikings 2
1604 #2
Batman 620 (Azzarello - good story)
Spectacular Spidey 5
Transformers G1 vol2 #6 (thank God that's over)
Thanos 1
Spider-Man and Wolverine #4
Cap 19
Iron Man (latest)
Thor (the Reign Part II)
Avengers (latest)
Paradise X (Appendix X or whatever)
Hulk 62 (Betty?)
Daredevil 53
Wolverine 6

Passed on Avengers JLA 1 and 2, just couldn't justify spending the money. Im sure I'll regret it later. Anyone read these yet and liking them?

AT-AT Man
10-31-2003, 05:52 AM
picked up Ultimate Spidey 48 and Draoc part. Bot were very good. Did anyone read the previews for the up and coming books due out Jan and Dec. Some of the stories sound great, such as Ultimate Spidey and X-Men. As well as the Ultimates finally get released again.

jjreason
10-31-2003, 11:04 PM
So there I was in the comic store again today, looking for this weeks books.

Avengers 71 (I would agree that the art has suffered here a little after coipels)
Hulk "Gray" 1 and 2 (Loeb and Sale - what more do you want? Very good)
Silver Surfer 2 (finally - monthly title my butt)
Namor 6, 8 (no 7's left, I can't believe I got that far behind)
Thor: Vikings 4 (which means I missed #3, d'oh)
1602 #3 (finally - someone got killed!)

I read all of this (except the Namor book, and the Thor Vikings due to missing issues) at the doctor's office, and was pretty happy. Comics are super.

gsr-jedi
10-31-2003, 11:39 PM
This week
Hulk Gray #2 (very good)
JLA #89 (pretty good ending to a very good storyline)

On a side note, what happened to the old thread?

James Boba Fettfield
10-31-2003, 11:47 PM
On a side note, what happened to the old thread?

In the words of QOTSA, no one knows.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-02-2003, 08:37 PM
Or, you might know what happened to it, JBFF and just don't wanna share.

As in the QOTSA also said, "i got a secret, i cannot say" :crazed:

I got Hulk 61-62 and Ult. spidey 47-48

Great issues all around!! I was giggling with nerd glee w/ Aunt May called up Jonah and gave him a piece of her mind. That was as shocking to me as it was to Peter. Cheers!! :D

James Boba Fettfield
11-02-2003, 08:44 PM
I was giggling with nerd glee w/ Aunt May called up Jonah and gave her a piece of her mind. That was as shocking to me as it was to Peter.

That's very shocking, Guyute. I did not expect to see Jameson portrayed as a female either! :crazed:

gsr-jedi
11-05-2003, 09:44 PM
The End: Wolverine #1 (alright)
Empire #4
Superman: Birthright #5
Sentinel #9
Supreme Power #4 (awesome)
Ultimate Spidey #49 (awesome)

Dr Zoltar
11-05-2003, 10:39 PM
The End: Wolverine #1 (alright)
Empire #4
Superman: Birthright #5
Sentinel #9
Supreme Power #4 (awesome)
Ultimate Spidey #49 (awesome)
Do you mind posting a bit of the story line for Wolverine: The End and Supreme Power? I've heard Supreme Power is good but have missed the first few issues. And what other "The End" titles are out there? I've only read The End: Hulk.

gsr-jedi
11-06-2003, 12:59 AM
Supreme Power is basically Marvel's version of the JLA. The first issues have basically focused on Hyperion, the "Superman" one of the group. It's pretty interesting as he has been raised by the government. The other members, have only been seen briefly and we don't know much about them at all.

Wolverine: The End; takes place in the not-too-distant future. He's outlived all his friends and "family" and is living like an animal in the Canadian forest. Without any sort of spoilers, he thinks someone is watching him, someone who knows a lot about him. We haven't seen any proof of this really, though. It was alright, I think it could definitely pick up steam in the next 2 issues. So we'll see.

Hope that helps

JetsAndHeels
11-06-2003, 09:06 AM
I have been behind on my comic buying recently, but this week I played some catch up. I didn't get alot, but it helps at least.

Superman/Batman #2
Superman:Birthwright #5

I really only collect Superman stuff, so the most I get in a week is 2 to 4 comics.

billfremore
11-06-2003, 09:35 AM
Supreme Power is basically Marvel's version of the JLA. The first issues have basically focused on Hyperion, the "Superman" one of the group. It's pretty interesting as he has been raised by the government. The other members, have only been seen briefly and we don't know much about them at all.

Supreme Power is based on the Squadron Supreme.

While writing the Marvel comic book The Avengers, writer Roy Thomas - a longtime fan of DC Comics' Justice Society of America - paid homage to those characters by having The Avengers face a group of villains loosely based on their successors, the Justice League of America. Thus, in The Avengers #70 (November 1969) the Avengers faced the Squadron Sinister, four villains based on Superman, Batman, The Flash and Green Lantern.

Two years later, reportedly through an unofficial collaboration between the writers of the two comics, both The Avengers and Justice League of America featured stories in which their heroes encountered heroic versions of the other company's characters. So, in Justice League of America #87 (February 1971), those heroes encountered characters based on Thor, The Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Yellowjacket. Meanwhile, The Avengers #85-86 (March-April 1971), featured the first appearance of the Squadron Supreme, a group of heroes in a parallel universe. This Squadron included heroic versions of the four members from the Squadron Sinister, plus several other characters.

The Squadron appeared occasionally in Marvel titles during the 1970s, most notably in The Avengers #141-144 & 147-149 (November 1975-July 1976; #145-146 were fill-in issues) in which the Squadron and their United States were being dominated by the Serpent Crown. Members of the Squadron Sinister also occasionally appeared in the main Marvel Universe, but rarely as a group.

Squadron Members

Hyperion, based on Superman
Nighthawk, based on Batman
The Whizzer, based on The Flash
Doctor Spectrum, based on Green Lantern
Power Princess, based on Wonder Woman
Amphibian, based on Aquaman
Golden Archer, based on Green Arrow (originally named Hawkeye, later named Black Archer)
Lady Lark, based on Black Canary
Tom Thumb, very loosely based on The Atom
Blue Eagle, based on Hawkman (originally named American Eagle)

The Squadron's next major appearance was in The Defenders #112-115 (October 1982-January 1983), in which the Squadron and their world were under the mental domination of the Overmind, a telepathic alien. The Defenders travelled to their world and helped free them. However, the defeat of the Overmind left the planet in a shambles, as the government and economy collapsed.

Author Mark Gruenwald built on this situation in a lengthy storyline comprised of Squadron Supreme #1-12 (September 1985-August 1986) and Captain America vol 1. #314 (February 1986), illustrated by Bob Hall, John Buscema, Paul Neary and Paul Ryan. In this series, the Squadron decides that they have the knowledge, wisdom and power to make the world a better place, and decide to implement a project to turn their world into a Utopia. Nighthawk resigns in protest, believing that the Squadron should serve and not rule.

This series explores the Squadron's efforts to improve their world, and the opposition they get from unexpected quarters, with some significant losses and a major conflict at the end. Along the way a number of reformed villains join the Squadron, and a number of other heroes who joined Nighthawk infiltrate the Squadron. The series has since been collected as a paperback. This series was well-promoted and fairly popular, and the fact that Marvel Comics was publishing a series which was at best a thinly-veiled shadow of the Justice League was occasionally commented on, although no legal action occurred.

The series has been considered a precursor to Watchmen and Kingdom Come in its portrayal of superheroes and the implications of their power.

Following this series was a graphic novel, Squadron Supreme: Death of a Universe, in which the Squadron, reeling from the climax of their Utopia Program, must contend with a huge creature which seems bent on destroying the universe.

In August 2003, Marvel published the first issue of Supreme Power, a series which recreates the Squadron Supreme from scratch, spending several issues on their origins and with a more realistic bent. The series is written by science-fiction writer J. Michael Straczynski with art by Gary Frank.

I highly recommend picking up this series. It is well worth the money spent.

gsr-jedi
11-06-2003, 07:14 PM
I was unaware of all of that. Though I do remember the 1st issue did have a special edition version, with a lot of history of Squadron Supreme. I didn't buy that version, so that's probably why I didn't know it.

jjreason
11-07-2003, 01:28 AM
Issue #1 absolutely blew me away. Story, art everything. It's been slower since, but the potential is tremendous. Worth my money.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-08-2003, 06:23 PM
Wolverine: End #1- Have high hopes for this one; Hulk: End was terrific, so i'm interested to see what happens to ole' Wolvie.
Ultimate spider-man #49- quite anxious to see what the Kingpin has in store.

cheers! :D

jjreason
11-08-2003, 06:39 PM
I bought a hardcover book. "Batman: The Archives vol 1". It contains Detective Comics 27-50, which are actually surprisingly good once you get going on them. Im already almost decided on buying the second volume to flesh out my knowledge of the history of the Bat.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-09-2003, 09:30 AM
Well, I can sort of participate in this thread for a change! I bought:

Star Wars Infinities ESB trade paperback

I would've bought the ANH one, too, but our local B&N who is having a fund raiser this week for my school did not have it in stock.

Yay! I have reinvested in our community! And our schools win, too! :rolleyes:

kool-aid killer
11-10-2003, 08:32 PM
I picked up the seventh issue of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye today. I have yet to read thru it but plan to take some time out soon. I believe the next issue will be the last one. If so i would like to see them do something like that but this time about the Beast Wars figures. It would be even cooler if they could include some of the Japanese figures that werent released over here such as the giraffe, rabbit, and horse.

AT-AT Man
11-10-2003, 10:58 PM
bought and read Ultimate Spidey 49 i really did like his ark. I can't wait for the Black Cat ark. It looks great.

El Chuxter
11-11-2003, 12:17 PM
I've heard that Armada and Beast Wars versions of More Than Meets the Eye are scheduled for 2004. :)

billfremore
11-11-2003, 12:57 PM
ROTJ Infinities (http://www.darkhorse.com/news/features/pg_feview/sku_00224/item_00224a/z_starwars/index.html) is coming soon.

kool-aid killer
11-11-2003, 08:31 PM
I've heard that Armada and Beast Wars versions of More Than Meets the Eye are scheduled for 2004. :)

Cool, thanks for the info. I hope it is true.

jjreason
11-12-2003, 11:35 PM
So I headed in for new books this week, and was disturbed to see the "No new books, Check back tomorrow" sign up again this week. That's 2 weeks in a row, for those keeping score. I didn't buy comics last week, so today wound up being a little tidy-up trip. Here's what I came home with:

Emma Frost - issues 3 and 4 (still missing a #2)
Powers 35
Supreme Power 4
Wolverine 7
Wolverine: The End 1

And that's it. Can't wait to read Supreme Power, it rocks. Stupid me forgot to get the 2nd issue of Thanos, so that will have to wait. Better not sell out.

Dr Zoltar
11-13-2003, 12:41 AM
Does anyone know when issue 3 of the Spideman/Black Cat mini-series is due out? Seems like I've been waiting months for it. Much like what happened to Planetary...

gsr-jedi
11-13-2003, 08:50 AM
Does anyone know when issue 3 of the Spideman/Black Cat mini-series is due out? Seems like I've been waiting months for it. Much like what happened to Planetary...

Issue 3 is out; the issue that we're waiting for is #4. I have no idea when that comes out.

Thundercats: HammerHand's Revenge #2
1602 #4
G.I. Joe #23
Hulk #63
Fables #19
Invincible #6
Teen Titans #5
Ultimate X-Men #39
Ultimate Six #4

billfremore
11-13-2003, 10:58 AM
Are there any more people like me who don't buy any X-related books?

Dr Zoltar
11-13-2003, 12:12 PM
Are there any more people like me who don't buy any X-related books?
I don't, except for rare occasions (like the Draco story line). I got fed up with Marvel after the Onslaught fiasco. They kept dragging plots on way too long -- like why did it take the X-Men two years before searching for Charles after he disappeared? Continuity was non-existent and one of my favorite comics -- Gen X -- kept having mistakes in it as well as artwork so poor I couldn't follow the story. So I pretty much dumped all things Marvel and took up DC and some Image titles.

El Chuxter
11-13-2003, 12:17 PM
GIJoe Frontline #16: Despite a wicked cover of Night Creepers holding Destro's mask, a disappointment. Hard to follow, and read like one of the worse issues of the old Special Missions title.

Transformers: War Within 2 #2: Urrr. Simon Furman. Andrew Wildman. Must continue buying, no matter how little sense it makes!! :)

Transformers: Armada #18: Didn't resolve the storyling as neatly as I'd like. And I'm sorry: no Armada character (or army thereof) could ever kill the true Galvatron and Bludgeon. They must've been otters, disguised as those uber-baddies to cash in on their reps, kinda like Jodo Kast.

GIJoe #23: Oh. My. God. I forgive all the bad things I said about Josh Blaylock when I found he was reviving Serpentor. This isn't a bad marketing ploy. This is how a homicidal killing machine cloned from dead conquerers and a not-quite-dead Arishikaje ninja should act. Building up for one hell of an explosive climax in #25.

He-Man: uh, something about fear #1: Scare-Glow!! 'Nuff said.

Transformers: More than Meets the Eye #8: Does Dreamwave plan on actually using all these characters in their screwed up little continuity?

Wolverine: The End #1: Awesome. Awesome. AWESOME!! The twist with Sabertooth was nice, and hopefully we'll finally learn that old Graydon Creed's real name was "Dog" Logan. I'm hoping for some reminiscing about old flames, former comrades in arms, spunky mutants who dress like Batman sidekicks. . . .

AT-AT Man
11-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Well i recieved Ultimate X-Men 39 and bought 38. The sory was OK, but by far not the best.

dr_evazan22
11-14-2003, 09:03 PM
Are any of you guys reading Nyx, from Marvel?

Ish 2 just came out. I like the art and the coloring! Created by Quseada and Middleton.

Kiden Nixon witnessed her cop father get killed when she was a child. Now in HS, she is finding out that she has the mutant ability to stop time for a few seconds.

So far it's written pretty well and reminds me a little of Spider-man (in the teen angst and problems she has).

jjreason
11-15-2003, 12:15 AM
Eternal Padawan won't clam up about NYX either. Might have to pick those up.

Another addition to the list of Limited Series we need to see finished would have to be Rising Stars. Come on Straczynski, enough is enough already!

Oh, and Planetary has had 2 new issues since the layoff, in case you'd given up on it. Jakita's origin was last issue (#17). Very interesting.

AT-AT Man
11-15-2003, 10:13 AM
today i'm going to out to pick up Ultimate Six 4 and possibly a few back issues.

jjreason
11-15-2003, 02:38 PM
God speed on your important mission, ATAT. Let us know that you got back safely! :D

AT-AT Man
11-15-2003, 06:23 PM
ok, just got Ultimate Six, it was a very a good read, i'm really liking this.

Eternal Padawan
11-27-2003, 07:11 AM
COMICS I bought this week (don't think I went on a non-comic buying hiatus for the past several weeks, I just haven't been able to log on...sillies)

New Comics[/i](Wednesday, Nov. 26th, 2003)[/i]

JLA 90
Batman 621
GIJoe 24
Amazing Spider-Man 501
Avengers 74
Emma Frost 5
Uncanny X-Men 433
New X-Men 149
JLA/Avengers 3

JLA "resolved" the burgeoning romantic relationship between Wonder Woman and Batman. Since it was based on a kiss that happened in an issue before I started reading it six months ago, I wasn't really invested in it. But it was an interesting look at various futures involving the two characters IF they stayed together.

Batman. meh. After Lee and Hush, this is a letdown so far. And what's up with Hush returning in Gotham Knights? Crazeee...

GIJoe. Wow. This is the best storyline since...since the new series started. And it's got friggin Serpentor in it. I can't believe good story and Serpentor could coincide in the same idea/thought process, but there you have it.

ASM. A nice little breather about Aunt May after the 500th issue brouhahah.

Avengers. Kolins art. icky. And Bruce Banner just HAPPENS to be walking through Bone, Idaho when his cousin goes crazy? What a turd. When does Coipels get back?

Emma Frost. I thought this was a limited series and I was all set to drop it once the first story arc was over, but damn, it's really good.

Uncanny/New. So I was a dillhole and read the solid 22 page preview of Silvestri's and Morrison's first New X men issue, and it reveals who dies in 150. Arrgh! And the Draco is starting to shape back up again nicely. Except Alpha Flight's new costumes eat. And by eat I mean bite. And by bite, I mean suck.

JLA/Avengers. Wow. The last few pages, where the Grandmaster reveals the "truth" to the two teams was...man...I sorta got a lump in my throat. All the triumph and more importantly, the tragedy that they've gone through over the past 40+ years. Batman's broken back. Barry Allen and Hal Jordan "discovering" their demises. Wanda Maximoff "reliving" her childrens deaths (okay so they didn't die per se, but it still hit home). What a kickass series.

dr_evazan22
11-27-2003, 06:12 PM
I haven't picked up any X-books in years, but I saw New X-men on the shelf and liked the cover. So, after thinking about it for a few minutes, I picked up 2 ish's (parts 3 and 4 of 5). I was pleasantly surprised to find that I liked them. Now I need to find parts 1 and 2.

Also picked up ASM 501. I always think it's touching when they involve someone talking to Ben's grave. Now they have Ben and Peter's parents buried together. And I liked teh Kiwi Kid. Oops... That was in Spec! Back to ASM... The drawing of MJ where she's holding the coffee cups takes me back to the way she was originally drawn. Looks great!

jjreason
11-28-2003, 05:24 PM
Lots again this week, I hadn't been in since the first of the month.

Batman 621
Amazing 501
Uncanny 433
New X-Men 149
1602 part 4
Silver Surfer 3
Wolverine 8
DD 54
Hulk 63
Thor 71
Iron Man 74
Capt. Am. 20
Spect. Spidey 6 and 7
FF 506 and 507
Avengers 73 and 74

Jodi is not happy, and I didn't even go looking for any limited series issues I may have missed (Ultimate Six, Emma Frost, Kingpin, Namor - all in the store, and none of it bought yet - yikes).

Eternal Padawan
11-29-2003, 12:47 PM
I flipped thru Silver Surfer 3 and i have not regretted my decision to not continue with the title. He's only shown up for 5 PANELS in three issues worth of comics. It's like he's guest cameoing in his own book. As cool as Norrin is, that don't make me a fan of the book.

They need to make a poster of the cover to Avengers/JLA 3 so i can actually SEE the upteen billion characters Perez drew. Man that's awesome! Whens the contest to see who can name all those guys?!?

jjreason
11-29-2003, 12:58 PM
I guess it's now. Maybe someone should scan a pic in so we can all work on it. I also guess there's no way I'm getting out of buying this series, is there?

AT-AT Man
12-02-2003, 04:08 PM
got my issue of Uncanny yesterday in the mail. The arc is pretty good. It's shaping out.

Beast
12-02-2003, 04:11 PM
I figured I'd pass this on, if any of you go the subscription route. And read Ultimate Spidey. And are planning to read Ultimate FF. If you subscribe for 12 Issues of Ultimate Fantastic Four, you get 12 Issues of Ultimate Spider-Man for free. The cost is $23.97. Great deal for 24 comics. :)

http://subscriptions.marvel.com/ff_usm.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
12-04-2003, 05:19 PM
man this sucks. not the deal, but i already have a subscription to Ultimate Spidey, and i really want one for UFF, but don't want two different Ultimate Spidey subscriptions.

Beast
12-04-2003, 05:31 PM
I think the ad says, if you already have a current subscription for Spidey. That it will just continue from when your last issue on your first subscription expires. Yep, it does. Just checked it to make sure. You could always call the 1-800 number, just to be sure. Since they included it at the end of the info. :)

Marvel Subscriber Advantage (U.S. Orders Only): Marvel will automatically renew the subscription(s) you order today upon expiration so you get continuous service and never miss an issue. You will be notified via email prior to each new subscription term confirming your continued service and rate. The credit card you used today will be billed at the renewal rate then in effect. As always, you can cancel at any time and get a refund on all remaining issues by contacting Marvel Subscriptions at 1-800-217-9158.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

jjreason
12-04-2003, 06:19 PM
That is a SUPER deal. The cover price on the deluxe books is at least 3 bucks US, no? 67 percent off is not to be sneezed at. I subscribed to GIJoe when I was a kid, but quit after it ran out as the books all came folded right down the middle. I hope they treat them better these days.

AT-AT Man
12-04-2003, 07:48 PM
wow, this is definately a great deal. If i order this, it will 4 titles i'm getting every month. I think i might just do it. Does it happen to say if i will recieve issue one of UFF or will i start a few issues in.

AT-AT Man
12-04-2003, 08:38 PM
never mind, just checked and answered my own question. yes, you will get issue one if you order by the 9th.

Eternal Padawan
12-05-2003, 03:20 PM
New Comics (12/3/2003)

Thanos 3
Superman/Batman 4
GIJoe vs Transformers 5
Supreme Power 4
Hulk 64
Captain America 21
Ultimates 12

jjreason
12-05-2003, 04:50 PM
Im going to have to pick up the Thanos issues next trip. I hope they have a #2 left for me. Hulk and Cap are out, I think that means the other Avengers solo books are out as well..... can't remember which (if any) key X-books ship the first Wed of the month. I think Im going to pick up on Ultimates again as well, been saying that for awhile and it's time. Going to need those JLA Avengers issues as well. Pricey trip next time.

AT-AT Man
12-06-2003, 10:36 AM
Oh my frickin God. picked up Ultmates 12 yesterday night, and it is the absolute best story i'v read so far excellent action, good writing and some funny scenes. Definately everyone should pick this up. I can't wait for next issue, there a huge cliffhanger.

Eternal Padawan
12-06-2003, 11:07 AM
I like that line where the bad Nazi/Skrull guy is telling Cap "you haven't learned anything." and Cap's all "I learned how to fly this jet." as he's shivving him on the end of it like a shishkabob. I don't get the reason for starting over, other than having yet another new Ultimate first issue that'll sell like hotpants. But Ultimate Captain Britain sounds intriguing.

So, compared to the WWII era TF/GIJoe book, this GIJoe/TF book is kinda just bleh now. Miller's art started out spectacular (remember that splash in issue 1?), but I think the pressure of putting it out monthly has driven it down a bit. I'll be glad when it's over.

I am totally stoked for GiJoe:Reloaded (except for that cheese title which references a completely hideous movie franchise....) and it's two precursor Reborn books.

dr_evazan22
12-07-2003, 05:16 PM
I agree At At, Ultimates 12 was great! I'm looking forward to 13 also. I think I may have missed 10 though; I felt like I came in in the middle. I liked what they were doing to Banner to get the Hulk to come out and play. Thor was great- I never saw him like that in his regular monthly book.

AT-AT Man
12-08-2003, 03:25 PM
ok, order my subscription to UFF. I hope they just continue my US subscription after the one i already have, because i had to use as different first for the credit card, since it is my mom's credit card. Any idea whether or not they will continue, or ship two different US subscriptions.

El Chuxter
12-08-2003, 04:43 PM
I picked up the seventh issue of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye today. I have yet to read thru it but plan to take some time out soon. I believe the next issue will be the last one. If so i would like to see them do something like that but this time about the Beast Wars figures. It would be even cooler if they could include some of the Japanese figures that werent released over here such as the giraffe, rabbit, and horse.

More Than Meets the Eye for Armada is scheduled for Spring 2004. There's an ad on the last page of MTMTE #8. Also, read that issue (MTMTE #8) if you like Beast Wars. I think some big things are in the works for those guys as far as Dreamwave Comics go. Doesn't look like it'll be the same continuity as the Beast Wars 'toon, but they're definitely in the (presumably far) future of Cybertron.

Beast
12-08-2003, 04:50 PM
I'd suggest calling the 1-800, and seeing what they say. They might be able to make sure that you don't get more then one Subscription. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
12-10-2003, 08:46 PM
New Comics(12/10/03)

Avengers 75 (490)
Iron Man 75
Uncanny X-Men 434
1602 5
NYX 3

Avengers. The Subpar Search for She-Hulk storyline wraps up. Hawkeye busting two shafts on the Hulk's eyeballs was kinda cool.

Iron Man. This issue kinda spun it's wheels. The story was just more of the same from last issue. They hired Lucas because he could do good tech...so lets see more Iron Man...

Uncanny. Heh. Lorna popping out of Nils stomach. "oh. hello."

1602. haven't read it yet.

NYX. Why oh why? Must every mutant book have that damnable Wolverine in it in some form or another? Now his daughter (or whoever) is hooking in Queens?? If not for the stunning artwork in this book, I might get a plane ticket to NYC sos I can slap Joe Quesada and his Wolvie mongering...

AT-AT Man
12-11-2003, 05:49 AM
hey, did Ultimate Six come out yesterday, i read somewhere it did, but no one has said anything about on these forums or another comic forum i visit, so i'm not sure.

Eternal Padawan
12-11-2003, 04:29 PM
Ultimate X-men came out. The new one where Angel shows up. I flipped thru it. But no Ultimate Six....

AT-AT Man
12-11-2003, 05:34 PM
ok, nother question. I'v had a subscriptiuon to ultimate Spidey for a few months now, and i always get my issues like a few days late. What i'm asking is, do they still send you double sized issues in the mail, the ones that cost extra money, or do i have to go buy those seperately. The reason i ask, is because it has been a little over a week. I just got my issue of the new Uncanny in the mail today, so where is US 50. Or should i go pick a copy up at my local Comic book store.

jjreason
12-12-2003, 01:31 AM
I should think it would be showing up for you ATAT. Call the 1800 number to be sure, but the bigger issue should be included in your subscription for sure, they took that into account when they charged you way back when.

Beast
12-13-2003, 01:50 PM
I picked up Ultimate X-Men #40, because I couldn't wait for the TPB. Huge Beast and Angel fan, so hearing that they were a massive part of the story I couldn't stop myself from picking it up. This is definatly a good jumping on point for new readers, even though I've been reading from the beginning. And will probably be there as long as they print the book. :)

This issue was great, a lot of character development. Especially how Warren's family considered him a monster. And yet, everyone else is stunned by his 'beauty'. But christ, Henry really needs to stop chatting away on the internet. First dropping the news about Magneto to the Brotherhood. And then dropping the news about Warren and getting a group of Religious Fanatics gathered outside the front gates to the mansion.

The biggest question, is who is this mysterious benefactor that approaches Henry when he's sitting alone, feeling lower then low at the end of the book. And yay, the first use of 'Hank' in Ultimate X-men. I have to go with Mr. Sinister. With Magneto locked away in his plastic prison, and the rest of the brotherhood either being dead, arrested, or joining the X-Men the book needs a good baddy. And he's the perfect one to introduce. And from the dialogue, it sounds like him. Only other person who comes to mind, Dr. Maddicks. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
12-13-2003, 03:43 PM
Had to toss some of the dialogue up from this issue. Just cause it's so great. :)

(The X-Men and Xavier, watching the TV coverage of the Religious Fanatics that are outside the gates to the school. Preaching scripture and such about the 'Angel'.)

Xavier: Before I ask which one of you is responsible for the major leak to the media that has religious congregation outside the school...I would like to remind you all that I am, maybe, the most powerful telepath the world has ever seen...and I already know which of you did this.

Henry: See, I don't see how I can be blamed for this.

Jean: What did you do, Henry?

Henry: I -- I was talking to the --

Storm: You were on that fan site of yours again, weren't you?

Henry: I can't believe it turned--

Wolverine: His what?

Storm: There's a-- a fan site-- a web site about all of us-- and this goofball goes on the message board and gives them little updates and answers questions.

Henry: They're my people.

Kitty: Dude...

Henry: It's good public relations.

Kitty: Dude...

Henry: I really don't think this is my fault exactly because I should be able to go online and--

Jean: Are you serious?

Henry: Okay. I just don't see how I could have known that these people would get in a car and come all the way up here to--

Jean: People will stand outside a ratty apartment in Brooklyn... for days... on end... in the rain.. because the schmootz on someone's kitchen window kind of looks like maybe something. What did you think was going to happen if you announced to the world that there's a treakin' angel--

Henry: I didn't announce it to the world.

Jean: You put it on the internet!! Which part of worldwide web do you not--

Xavier: Jean...

Jean: I'm okay. I'm calm.

(Henry sitting alone in a restaurant, feeling all down and upset. Because the team is ticked off at him for dropping the news about Angel. When a mysterious benefactor (maybe Mr. Sinister) shows up to offer him a proposition. Who it is is not shown, just the shadow of them standing next to the table. It certainly sounds like Sinister. From what I've read of the old books.)

Unknown Stranger: They don't know they stare. They think they're not staring. That's the funny part. Hank McCoy, right?

Hank: Can I help you?

Unknown Stranger: Not as much as I can help you. Can I sit down?

Hank: Uh... sure.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
12-15-2003, 05:59 PM
ok, got my issues of Ultimate Spidey 50 and Ultimate X-Men 40 on Saturday. I thought both were great, i think Bendis is one of the best writer's i have ever read in my life. His dialog is so real and his stories rock. Jar Jar, you are so right about how much that dialog rocked. I too have a strange suspision that his benefactor is Mr. Sinister.

Today, i recieved my new issue of Uncanny. The Trial of Juggernaut. I really don't see what everyones beef is about Uncanny. I think they are pretty good. Well there's my $.02.

Beast
12-15-2003, 06:06 PM
Glad you liked it also. Like I said, being the huge Beast fan, and a fan of Angel as well, I couldn't wait months for the trade paperback. There's a chance it could be someone from the Ultimates, come to offer Henry a position as a member of the team, like in 616. I really don't want to see it be the Ultimates though. Cause I would hate to see Beast leave the X-Men, even if they don't appreciate him and are peeved at him right now. Plus because the Ultimates are so delayed and behind in the timeline, that it's sad. And I'd love to see the love triangle start between Henry, Warren, and Ororo. Even though I know Ororo isn't right for Henry in any way. But they said a dangerous new villian was coming to Ultimate X-Men. And Issue 41 according to the letters page is going to be the darkest issue ever. So I really could see this being Sinister making his debut and corrupting Beast. Hope so. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
12-15-2003, 06:09 PM
yes, exactly my thinking, the X-Men need a new bad guy, now that Magneto is locked away. I really hope it is a bad guy.

kool-aid killer
12-16-2003, 09:54 PM
Sorry to take this thread off topic but i was looking on ebay for issues 2 and 3 of Transformers More Than Meets the Eye (quite expensive IMO for a comic book) but was dumbfounded by one auction that had it labeled as mint and unread. Now perhaps that makes sense to you who purchase comics frequently but i found it moronic. Who buys a comic only to not look at it? Once again, sorry to butt in.

jjreason
12-17-2003, 12:45 AM
Well, I guess there are 2 answers Kool Aid. First, the guy could be a new comic dealer who has his copy (or copies) already and had a few left over. These he could sell unread, because he's already read his own copy. Chances of this...... oh, let's say 1 in 1,000,000,000.

More likely, someone bought up a boatload of these speculating that they'd skyrocket in price like the 1st couple of issues of the first Gen1 limited series by Dreamwave. This guy is now bitter, and wants to get out with his money. He can sell them as unread because he never had any intention of reading any of them anyway. This guy is a scalper (or whatever other name for this rotten type of behaviour you like to use) doing his best to keep something good out of the hands of those who truly want it in hopes of making a buck or two. Collecting Comics and Star Wars figures has more in common than you might think at first.

El Chuxter
12-17-2003, 12:18 PM
kool-aid killer, I missed a few of the early issues of MTMTE also. I think a lot of stores didn't order enough, and there's high demand for them. I'm not worried, though, because I'm willing to bet that (even if it's not been officially announced yet) a paperback collection will likely be forthcoming soon.

kool-aid killer
12-17-2003, 12:56 PM
Ok, thanks for filling me in JJ and El Chuxter.

gsr-jedi
12-18-2003, 09:30 AM
It's been a while, since I've been to the sight. I'm liking this new format.

This week:

New X-Men #150 (very cool)
Transformers/G.I. Joe #4
Star Wars Republic #58 (excellent)
Ultimate Six #5 (can't wait for the next ish)
Ultimate Spider-Man #51 (can't wait for the next ish of this either)
Uncanny X-Men #435 (very cool, and the next issue comes out next week)
Teen Titans #6 (very good)
Runaways #9 (exellent)
Hulk: Gray #4 (awesome)

AT-AT Man
12-18-2003, 03:49 PM
hey, don't spoil the whole thing, but is there any fighting in this ish of U6. I really hope so. I love the book, and can't wait til we see some huge a** figt scenes.

gsr-jedi
12-18-2003, 06:25 PM
There's not really in fighting. It leads up to the fighting which will be in the next ish.

Beast
12-18-2003, 11:05 PM
Had to post this up, for those folks of you that read Ultimate X-Men. It's supposed to be a review, but the reviewer actually ended up just writing alternate dialogue for the book to be funny. I think it's pretty damn hilarious myself. Enjoy. :)

Ultimate X-Men #40 Review
Posted By Matt Morrison on 12.18.03

Send me an Angel…

Reviewer: “Starman” Matt Morrison
Story Title: New Mutants (Part One)

Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Penciled by: David Finch
Inked by: Art Thibert
Colored by: Frank D'Armata & Morry Hollowell
Lettered by: Chris Eliopoulos
Editor: Ralph Macchio
Publisher: Marvel Comics

SCENE: The Worthington Mansion

Xavier: So what you’re telling me is that the boy lives here alone because his parents find him… distasteful?

Butler: Indeed, the boy wants for nothing financially as my masters are your atypical WASP scumbags who cannot cope with anything outside their own viewpoints of normalcy but neither can they bring themselves to disown the boy outright.

Xavier: So you want me to take him out of their bigoted hands in exchange for a huge sum of money?

Butler: That is the offer, yes.

Xavier: You insult me, sir. I take all young people with mutations into my school based on need, not on financial reward.

Butler: So you won’t be needing the check for several million dollars?

Xavier: (grabbing the check) Not NEEDING as such… but advanced holographic technology doesn’t pay for itself… YOINK!

SCENE: The Xavier School For Mutants : The Pool

Xavier: I’m sorry to interrupt the 1 pm sunbathing and lounging around class, but I wanted to introduce our newest student. This is Warren. He never wears shirts.

Kitty: Oooh! I wanna sink my teeth into that! I don’t care if he’s Kosher or not…

Storm: Kitty, you’re 13 or something. Granted, we’d never know if from that swimsuit or the way your body is drawn in the long shots…

Rogue: Hold on… isn’t that kinda weird? I mean, he looks like an angel… and then we have demons walking around with us…

Nightcrawler: Ummmm….

Rogue: I mean, its all Biblical, right? Sign of the end times? The forces of good and evil standing among us, working in plain sight?!?

Nightcrawler: Uh.. hello? Standing right here?

Xavier: Now, Rogue. Kurt is not a demon. Apologize to him.

Rogue: I’m sorry I called you a demon, Kurt.

Nightcrawler: That’s okay. I’m just happy to see someone else is getting the dialogue with the heavy-handed religious commentary

Rogue: Well, I’m just glad to be able to say “I” instead of “Ah” and “sugar” instead of “sugah”.

Xavier: I do understand your concerns and we will be discussing the religious implications of mutation later. Not now.

Rogue: When will we be discussing it, Professor?

Xavier: Off-camera. There’s no way I’m going to **** off the Christian Coalition by touching this subject with a 10 foot poll in any story that will see print.

SCENE: The Xavier School For Mutants : The Next Day

Pro-Mutant Protestors: God is a mutant!

Anti-Mutant Protestors: God hates mutants!

Xavier: Before I ask which one of you is responsible for the crowds of zealots outside the campus, I would like to point out that I a) am not stupid b) am a telepath c) already know the answer and d) know that one of you has a history of saying things he shouldn’t to people about the inner-workings of our semi-secret school of superheroic celebrities… HANK?!

Beast: What? I just posted it on a few websites… along with those naked pictures of Storm.

Storm: You son of a-

Xavier: You can electrolicize the hair off of him later. Right now, I want you to go find Warren.
Storm: Why me?

Xavier: Because he likes you.

Storm: You read his mind to find that out?

Xavier: No, I found the pictures bookmarked on the computer in his room.

SCENE: A Cliff.

Storm: Hey.

Warren: Wow, I finally get some dialogue of more than like three words in a book that’s all about me.

Storm: We want you back.

Warren: So you can laugh at me some more?

Storm: We weren’t laughing. Well, Bobby was but we try to ignore him. All the girls think you’re gorgeous and want you to take them to heaven and back.

Warren: Okay. So I am going to have a lot of gorgeous and in the most case legal-age girls fighting over me…but people think I’m this thing I’m not.

Storm: So go show them what you are. Look, I write and nobody knows I write and nobody thinks of me as a writer, but that doesn’t mean I’m not a writer.

Warren: … what?

Storm: I don’t know. It’s news to me too, but it’s a lot more characterization than I got when Mark Millar was writing this book.

Warren: Well.I guess I can get all those nuts off the lawn, at least.

SCENE: The Xavier School For Mutants

Warren: I’m not an angel. I’m a mutant. I don’t have any message from any God, but I think that fighting over the whole thing is pretty silly and that we should all be good to each other despite our differences.

*crickets chirp*

SCENE: A Diner

Hank: (reading from newspaper) Angel Sightings are Mutant Hoax on Page One…. Dick Cheney’s Oil Company overcharging customers on page 20.

Shadowy Figure: Rather a mess, isn’t it?

Hank: Who are you?

Shadowy Figure: Darned if I know. Allow me to say something cryptic to lead into the next part of the story.

Wolverine: Hey! I didn’t show up once in this book! Call my agent!

The 411 .::. A nice character issue with some good humor and good illustrations. I’m not a big X-Men fan, but even I could start reading this book on a regular basis.
http://www.411mania.com/comics/reviews/article.php?reviews_id=2459

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
12-19-2003, 08:30 AM
that was quite funny. I liked it.

To keep with the topic subject, this weekend i'm picking up U6 part 5.

El Chuxter
12-19-2003, 02:41 PM
Time to rejoin this thread. :)

I picked up for two weeks, and got some back issues, so here's my haul for 12/18/03:

New X-Men #150: DANG! Not what I expected, but what I feared. However, the final showdown between Wolvie and Magneto was worth the $3.50 alone!

Uncanny X-Men #434-435: What is this, weekly? Haven't read 'em yet, but I see Jubilee's in them, so they'll be awesome.

Transformers Armada #18: Kind of a letdown. Unicron shows up, and they whomp him easily. At least the stupid kids look like they're going to be long gone now.

GIJoe/Transformers #4: Haven't read yet. I've not cared too much for this series overall. It's very difficult to follow. But the art is gorgeous.

Transformers: The War Within II: The Dark Ages #3: Andrew Wildman is the greatest comic artist ever!!

GIJoe Frontline #18: Last issue? WTF? :mad: The last two issues of his have been excellent, better than Special Missions back in the 80s. The cover of a carded Roadblock as TV Show Host resculpt is one of the best covers of all time.

SW: ROTJ Infinities #1: See my comments in the other thread on this one.

SW: Republic #58: Excellent read overall. Rather shocking to see how Ani picked up the choking trick, and to speculate on his thoughts when he finds out the greatest Tusken Jedi of all is a great healer. Not sure what happened to Luminari, or when Barris became a Master. The end with Asajj and the imprisoned "bring in the gimp" Obi-Wan was uber-lame, though.

Wolverine #9: Haven't read yet.

1602 #5: Haven't read yet. Yeah, I know. Blasphemy.

Superman/Batman #2-4: Haven't read, but I had to pick up after reading #1.

Supreme Power #1, 3-5: Man! With all the recommendations I've heard for this, I still wasn't ready for how good it turned out to be. I want #2!

jjreason
12-20-2003, 05:16 PM
I snuck into a previously undiscovered comic store (found about 1/2 an hour south of me) and bought 3 comics today (got in crap, too - but that's another story!).

Supreme Power 5
Thor: Vikings 5 (can't read until I get my #3)
The Truth #2, so I can now read this alternate Cap story.

My regular books are piling up at the local store, won't be able to empty them out until January I don't think. Yikes.

Eternal Padawan
12-20-2003, 11:06 PM
New Comics(12/17/03)

Uncanny 435 (What is this? Weekly?)
New X-Men 150
Teen Titans 6
Robin 121
Ultimate Six 5
Emma Frost 6

Untrue? That was odd....anyway. I forgot to grab Transformers/GiJoe 4. Or thought that I already had it. So that will be on next weeks purchase.

Uncanny. Stale follow up to the Draco. Whatever happened to the Vault? It seems like they have 20,000 super powered criminal holding facilities instead of just one. Doesn't this wreak havok on the budget?I suggest Marvel reintroduce S.H.I.E.L.D. and have them in control of the Vault and enlist all the underused support characters as new agents. Like Jessica Drew, Silver Sable and her crew, Luke Cage, etc. Plus, Dum Dum Dugan is gotta be pushing eighty, so show him as an old geezer. Nick has the infinity formula, but Dugan ain't nothing but old. give him gray hair and a cane...where was I?

New X-Men SPOILERS!!! I knew Jeannie was gonna bite it since I read Wizard last month, but WOW! What a finale! Scott releasing an optic blast point blank into Mags helmet was outdone only by Wolvie decapitating him. Holy Crow!!! Heh. Morrison brought Erik back just to kill him all over again. Sweet!

Teen Titans. Well, it's obligatory that the JLA show up in the first year of each incarnation of the Teen Titans and scuffle. This was about par for the course. I liked how Nightwing showed up and played responsible mediator. it occured to me that ALOT of people know Bruce Wayne's secret just because Dick and Tim are so loose with theirs.

Robin. A decent fresh start. Especially since I bought an issue a couple months ago and thought it was horrid. I remember Rick Mays from way back on Nomad (he followed Hawbaker on the series). I'll keep this up for the story arc.

U6. I'm gonna have to go back and read this from issue one. Its a great story.

Emma Frost. Nice closure to the story. I think it's a good place to drop this title.

thespar
12-21-2003, 08:10 PM
Exiles 39
Uncanny X-Men 434 & 435
Gi Joe Vs Transformers 5
Gi Joe/Transformers 2-4

gsr-jedi
12-24-2003, 04:56 PM
Batman #622
Uncanny X-Men #436
Amazing Spider-Man #502
Star Wars Empire #15
JLA #91

Batman - This story so far has a couple of similarities to Hush. Bringing back a lot of old Bat enemies, while introducing a new one. Hmmm? It's been pretty good thus far, though no where near Hush.

Uncanny X-Men - Pretty good, could this be the beginning of a new Cain Marko?

Amazing Spidey - Awesome. Hilarious. Have to quote this "Thor, very nice guy. Wears a fifty-six long. It's snug on him, but that's how he likes it. Reads gardening magazines. And Modern Bride. I figure he's either a real romantic kind of guy, or his hammer leans a little to the left, if you know what I'm saying." Just all around excellent, with great writing.

Star Wars Empire - The attack on the Death Star from Biggs perspective. Pretty good, character story about Biggs.

JLA - First part of a new story, it's was ok.

Oh and by the way... Merry Christmas

Eternal Padawan
12-26-2003, 07:35 AM
New Comics(12/24/03)

Batman 622
JLA 91
Wonder Woman 199
Uncanny X-Men 435
Avengers 76
Amazing Spidey 502
Superman 200
Transformers GIJoe 4 (So technically this one ain't new....but hey...)

Batman. So are all of Batman's rogues locked up in Arkham until they show up in a storyline and then they aren't in Arkham any longer? I get confused sometimes.

JLA. As gsr said. OK. basically I'm biding my time with this one until The Tenth Circle begins.

Wonder Woman. jabber jabber jabber. I'm dropping this after next months issue concludes the story arc. It's all talk and no fighting.

Uncanny. Other than seeing Cain shag She-Hulk, which is a funny idea, this was a hohum issue. Austen is losing that snappy jargon I enjoyed when I first started reading again.

Avengers. Seriously, I didn't care that Jack of Hearts bit it. The logic behind the entire issue was suspect. He blows himself up because he had a piffle with Ant-Man?Ironically, Ant-Man is also dead, since he bit it in the Alias comic. Continuity!!!

Amazing. I also liked the Thor crack. Pretty funny.

Haven't read Supes of TF/GIJoe.

But I did get Wizard and they had a preview of the Marvel Knights '4'. Solid writing. I'm torn since I also want to pick up Ultimate FF and my pocketbook is screaming at me. They also had the Wizard fan awards...but thats another thread I think...

Dr Zoltar
12-26-2003, 05:15 PM
Cool. I didn't think Supes 200 was coming out until next week so this is a nice suprise. However, I'm on the verge of dumping this title. The stories for the past 6 months have been ho-hum at best. And the "reimaging" that's going on where the history of Superman is being merged with the Smallville show is really starting to make some long time readers leave this title.

AT-AT Man
12-30-2003, 09:52 PM
well over the weekend, i went to my comic shop to by the new U6 issue. and they were sold out. I guess i learned to not wait a week ever again. I willl have to order over the internet.

On a good note, recieved my new issue of Uncanny today. It was very good, with good illustrations. I'm liking this new artist. The story was very good, and now i'm actually starting to like Uncanny and am happy i have a subscription of it.

gsr-jedi
01-04-2004, 08:59 PM
I was a little bummed out that this weeks books were delayed due to the Holidays, but, it was okay, since this weeks' books were excellent.

Ultimate Fantastic Four #1 - excellent, this series should be just as good as Ultimate Spidey & Ultimate X-Men
Invincible #7 - A rather quick read, but still good nonetheless
Superman/Batman #5 - Pretty good, Lex beats up on Nightwing
G.I. Joe #25 - What a great ending to the Serpentor series. The best issue in the story-arc
Star Wars Republic #59 - Pretty good story, has Anakin facing his "issues" with Tuskens
Street Fighter #4 - Nothing fantastic, but entertaining regardless
G.I. Joe vs. Transformers #6 - An alright conclusion to the series.

Dr Zoltar
01-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Wow, looks like I dropped GI Joe right before the Serpentor story line. Anyone mind posting a quick synopsis of it?

jjreason
01-05-2004, 02:31 AM
I think I dropped it at exactly the same time, Dr. Z (right after the weak "silent issue" #21). I think I'm going to go back and scoop these up, everyone I know who's read it has been really positive - even though Serpentor as a real villain had always been dodgy in the past. I didn't buy the last few issues of Frontline either, but heard they were really good as well (dealing with Roadblock). Figures, Im always doing that. I cancelled Daredevil right at the end of the first run not knowing what to expect with the relauch. Took me 3 years and 15 bucks to find the #1 I had missed.

Im still having to wait for new comics, haven't had any for about 5 weeks now due to Christmas. My subscription holder is going to be some grumpy when I come waltzing in there this Wednesday.

Eternal Padawan
01-06-2004, 08:34 PM
New Comics(1/2/04)
Superman/Batman 5
GIJoe 25
Transformers G1 V3 0
GIJoe Transformers 6
Ultimate FF 1
Transformers Armada 18 (my daughter....)

New Comics(1/7/04)
New X-Men 151
Uncanny X-Men 437
Avengers 77
Thanos 4
Supreme Power
Wolverine:The End 2

SuperBat. Jeph Loeb cracks me up. He can nail these characters perfectly with his inner momologues and dialogue. Then he laughs at his audience by spotlighting the absurdity of the DC Universe. Krypto, the superdog? Lex Luthor's purple and green armor? You go Jeph.

GIJoe. Holy crap! Mainframe! Chuckles! Outback(?) Blaylock goes out with a bang to rival the Trucial Abysmia massacre. I hope the new guy doesn't drop the ball next issue.

Transformers. Sort of a...ummm...well, like the movie, but different.Okay, i'll have to reread it. The quintessons just bug the crappola out of me and I hate them in any TF continuity.

GIJoe/TF. To be honest, I just bought this because I had the other five. This series lost all interest for me. Miller's artwork bounced back from mediocre to great though. nice finish. he'd do good on Uncanny or New methinks.

Ultimate FF. ooh! Sweet. I can't wait for issue 2.

jjreason
01-10-2004, 07:07 PM
I GOT COMICS!!! I GOT COMICS!!!! I GOT COOOOOOMMMMMMIIIIIICCCCCCS!!!

Sorry, been awhile. Also adding to the glee, Marvel dropped Canadian cover price 60 cents to match the dollar!!! Very happy comic day.

1602 #5
Supreme Power #6
Amazing Spidey #502
Avengers #77
FF #79
Hulk #64
New X-Men #150, 151
Uncanny #434, 435, 436, 437 (Holy crap, is this book daily??????)

Lots still left to pick up, but this was a nice score. At least I can catch up on a few books!

gsr-jedi
01-10-2004, 07:51 PM
This week I got

Star Wars Tales #18 - An all Boba Fett issue. Almost all of the stories were pretty good.
Sentinel #11 - Alright, nothing special, but the next issue could be pretty good.
Superman: Birthright #6
Ultimate Spidey #52 - As good as it always is. And that's good.
Supreme Power #6
New X-Men #151 - It was a good read, and reminded me of the Days of Future Past story-arc.
Uncanny X-Men #437 - pretty interesting to see that all the offspring of the Guthrie family are mutants. Another good read.
Wolverine: The End #2

Dr Zoltar
01-11-2004, 01:16 AM
Here what I just picked up today:

JSA #56
Y: The Last Man #18
The Flash #205
Green Lantern #172
Invincible #7
Planetary #18 (Another Astonishing Issue!)
Superman/Batman #5
Caper #3
Star Wars Republic #59

I'm not too keen on the revamping DC is doing for Superman to allign it with Smallville. Besides Superman/Batman the only other Superman title I still read is "Superman". The stories lately have been horribly written.

Would someone mind sending me a PM with a story synopsis for The End: Wolverine and the new Serpentor story in GI Joe? Both were sold at at my comic store and I'm interested in how they are.

Eternal Padawan
01-15-2004, 09:28 PM
New Comics(1/14/04)

Captain America 22
1602 6
Teen Titans 7
Hulk 65
Punisher 1

Captain America. Another solid story from Morales and Bachalo. Kinda makin' Cap cool again.

1602. Alas, I haven't had time to read this one, but the whole 1602 thing is kickin'

Teen Titans. A respite issue of sorts, with cool insights into all the players. Especially Deathstroke, and his manipulation at the mind of Jericho. It was a bittersweet consolation to see that it wasn't Slade that had killed Wintergreen, but Joseph. I always liked Wintergreen. And we get introduced to a new Ravager? And (ugh) Krypto gets added to the cast. This stupid mutt haunts my DC purchasing. First he plagued Hush, then he drops by SupermanBatman. Now he shows up in Titans. At least lose the stupid cape already...

Hulk. Split Decision concludes, but not everything is cleared up. The Secret Conspiracy remains ( or at least the identity of the #1 remains unclear). And there just wasn't enough Hulk to satisfy me.

Punisher. Frank gets relaunched as a Max title and it is awesome. It's like the Max line was created to showcase Castle's gritty unflinching hardcore battle against the slime that killed his family. Definitely picking up the next issue.

jjreason
01-16-2004, 12:01 AM
I'll check Marvel's website to see who's on Punisher. Garth Ennis perchance? I wasn't "blown away" by the Born limited series - though numerous persons inside the pages were. :rolleyes: So I'll be weighing it off.

Question: Does the upcoming "MK 4" replace the FF book, or is it a second monthly? Note to Marvel: If Spidey can only carry 1 book per month, what are you expecting to happen here?

Beast
01-16-2004, 12:55 AM
Ugh. Ultimate X-Men #41. Wait an entire month to find out who was speaking to Beast. Who was going to be introduced next in the New Mutants. And what do we get. A stand alone with Wolverine. Shoot me. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
01-16-2004, 02:54 AM
I'll check Marvel's website to see who's on Punisher. Garth Ennis perchance? I wasn't "blown away" by the Born limited series - though numerous persons inside the pages were. :rolleyes: So I'll be weighing it off.

Question: Does the upcoming "MK 4" replace the FF book, or is it a second monthly? Note to Marvel: If Spidey can only carry 1 book per month, what are you expecting to happen here?

Ennis is doing the new Punisher series, but without the kiddie comic gloves. Swearing and explicit violence throughout.

The skinny on MK4 is that this was the storyline from the new creative team that was to replace Waid after he and Jemas had a tussle. Since then, Quesada and co. have eaten crow and Waid is still on the main book, so they decided to give the new guys their own series. hence two simultaneous FF books ( not counting Ultimate FF)

AT-AT Man
01-16-2004, 03:27 PM
so jar jar, your saying that UXM 41 wasn't good. I haven't gotten it yet.

Beast
01-16-2004, 03:51 PM
It's good. It's just like they dropped a standalone issue into the New Mutants story. We get a new mutant, but the X-Men don't even appear. It's another 'All Wolverine' tale. And after Blockbuster, I'm really sick of the clawed Canuck. Hopefully they get back to the story in next months issue. I need to know who was talking to Beast. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
01-21-2004, 06:35 PM
So did Professor X sanction Logan offing the kid? That's an interesting development in Ultimate X-men....

New Comics(1/21/04)

Transformers/GIJoe 5
GIJoe 26
Uncanny X-Men 438 (okay, this book is like daily or something)
New X-Men 152
Daredevil 56/436
Thanos 5
Iron man 76/421
Robin 122

AT-AT Man
01-22-2004, 03:55 PM
ok, got UXM 41 and the new Uncanny in the mail on tuesday. I liked both. I thought UXM was a very good story, though i was a little ticked, like you said Jar Jar, that it didn't aswer any qustions from last story.

Uncanny was also very good. I'm really liking Uncanny now. Austen sure has improved.

Beast
01-22-2004, 05:12 PM
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that Xavier was the one that issues the order for to take him down. Logan does mention that Xavier found him with his Cerebro device. And we can't consider 616 Goody Goody Xavier when it comes to the Ultimate Version. Since he's willing to basically do anything to ensure his dream is realized. And he knows what sparing Magneto ended up causing. Besides, the kid couldn't live with himself after finding out how many people he'd killed. And like Wolvie said, a mutant manifesting their powers like this, and killing so many people accidentally will bring back the Sentinel Project. I think it could have been handled better though. Sure, Wolvie is one of the few that wouldn't die from the kids powers. But I think Xavier after Wolvie kept him company should have turned off his mind. Instead of leaving his death to Wolverine. Though we never do get a 'Snikt' or any blood on Wolvers. So maybe that is what happened. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Eternal Padawan
01-23-2004, 07:35 PM
TF/Joe is very classy. I like Jae lee's dark 'n gritty visuals. Some have complained about it being almost too dark and obscuring the story. But compared to the "other" Joe/TF series, this one is brilliant.

GiJoe. Coming down off the awesome Serpentor story, this was was kinda weak. Toss in new writer Jerwa and his "lets bring readers up to speed" synopsis issue. Waiting patiently to see where this one goes. But in this day and age you can't have too many of these 'We'll get started next issue" things. Impatient readers have too many other books waiting for their comic dollar.

Uncanny. A suprisingly good riff on the Romeo and Juliet Storyline. I'm surprised Sam Guthrie hasn't shown up yet. Seeing as how he was the original Guthrie mutant. I guess Claremont had suckier things for him to do over in the Extreme sucfest...I mean X-Men.

New X-Men. Silvestri rules. It's Silvestri. It's X-Men. Why aren't you reading this yourself?

Daredevil. Maleev and Bendis are back! I wonder if Bendis has as much fun writing his books as I do reading them? The chat between Matt and the other heroes was superb. 'What? no Avengers? No X-Men? No power packers?" Great!

Thanos. This series is not living up to the cosmic epicness one would infer from an ongoing Thanos title. Even with Galactus , its a little subdued. I guess I'm comparing it to the classic Silver Surfer run by Starlin.

Iron Man. Hmmmm...an army of reverse engineered Iron Men built by the lowest bidder for the United States DOD? That's enough for me to pick up next issue.

Robin. I was far more interested in the few moments of training by Alfred and Bruce than i was by this whole lame Johnny Warlock villain. No one can seem to get a handle on the assistant hero comic.

gsr-jedi
01-24-2004, 11:00 AM
Daredevil #56 - After the story where Matt's identity is revealed, that "Echo" (I think that's the name), was kind of a let down. But Bendis & Maleev are back and this new issue is very cool.

G.I. Joe #26 - Nothing special after the Serpentor series. Basically just a cool-down book.

Transformers/G.I. Joe #5 - I had some trouble following this series at first,but now it's getting pretty good, and I'm glad I stuck with it.

New X-Men #152 - I have to go back and re-read the first part. This story-arc confuses me, cause they were fighting Magneto, and then jumped to a story-arc where Beast is this evil mega-villain? Huh?!?

Uncanny X-Men #438 - Very cool take on the Romeo & Juliet story. I'm also surprised not to see Sam, maybe he'll make an appearance in a future issue.

DC: The New Frontier #1 - I haven't read this one yet

Eternal Padawan
01-29-2004, 10:19 AM
New Comics(01/28/04)

GIJoe:Cobra Reborn
Hulk 66
Wonder Woman 200
Batman 623
JLA 92
Amazing Spidey 503
Punisher 2
Ultimate FF 2
Ultimate Six 6

Cobra Reborn. I've mentioned how I felt about this in the GIjoe thread. All in all, me likey.

Hulk. Dougie Brathwaite draws a nice follow up to Deodato's. It was interesting to see the parallels between the charachters. Betty kicking Samson's butt was strange. I was wondering where that was headed, and then it stopped all the sudden. Like a twist that didn't really twist anywhere. And this book has been about poor little missing Ricky for so long, for them to just casually nuke him, kinda peeved me off. Is Bruce Jones just getting bored with the storyline? And until that last panel, I had completely forgotten that Ricky was Doc Samson's son. Also, can we please lose the outdated 70's chintz red t-shirt with the lightning bolt? You're a doctor for petes sake. Show some dignity. The man can't even do a full superhero outfit. How lazy is that? Just whatever's lying around and also the dumb shirt.

Wonder Woman. My last issue of this. Dissappointing. Not even a decent finale.

JLA. The story is good, but the art looks like the guy turned the lights off and then tried drawing. Like on a dare from Mike Carlin or something. One more issue before Claremont and Byrne raise hell! Huzzah!!! PS Did ya hear? Did ya hear? Claremont is coming back to to Uncanny after Extreme gets euthanized with issue 46. None of that has ANYTHING to do with JLA, but...

Batman. ugh. How did this book go from awesome to suck in only 4 issues? So they're looking for this Angel guy. And they're looking. Still looking. AND they're still looking....I also find it hard to believe that the Bat is non chalantly interacting with all these criminal elements. First, he chats with Fatman and Little Boy Girl like they aren't this new criminal element that won't be causing headaches for him down the road "Oh sure, feel free to set up shop here in Gotham. Welcome..." Then he's all calm when Killer Croc (who is now Pimp Croc apparently, LOVE that getup. Wheres the boa?) boasts about killing his dentist. If some run of the mill ratfink thug admitted to murder in front of the Bat of Jeph Loeb's watch, he'd he kissing pavement.

Amazing. Tossing Loki into the mix as a protagonist (of sorts ) was extremely interesting. The new villainess is kind of meh. I'm thinking JMS is kind of chafing with the spider and really wants to write something more mystical like Thor or his new Doc Strange book. instead he keeps shoving all this interdimensional hooey down Peter's throat. Make with the classic rogues already!

Punisher. Awesome follow up to an awesome first issue. This is the vintage Punisher I remember. Taking the time out of his busy mafia greasing day to whack the sleazy pimp was awesome. And that cliff hanger ending!! Well, needless to say, it should be interesting to see how he keeps his head in that situation. RRIMshot! Also, despite what I've said about swearing in Marvel comics ( I'm thinking Alias here) it totally fits in this book. this is like the one Marvel book that can pull it off, since these are all dirtbag criminals anyway.

Ultimate Six. Man, this book started out with such potential, but I'm not feeling it towards the end. I'm hoping for a killer climax, but I don't feel like anything life changing has happened with any of these characters. Good art though. Looking at Cap's outfit, I kinda wish the regular cap would lose the big red pansie boots ( and maybe gloves even)and adopt a more military look. He's got it started with that wicked looking chainmail look and the web belt, but it could stand a few more tweaks. once again I digress...

Ultimate FF. Awesome story. Except for the ludicrous idea that Ben Grimm, hitchhiking across America or whatever, should stumble upon the top secret field test out in the middle of the desert and have almost NO problem getting clearance. That made me laugh so hard I almost couldn't finish the issue. And Kubert's rendition of the future MoleMan was brilliantly icky. Looking forward to next month.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-29-2004, 06:11 PM
got some new stuff and old stuff today:

Ult Spidey 52 (great issue; poor Peter just can't catch a break!)
Hulk 65-66- 65 was excellent although i agree w/ EP with the nuking of Ricky Meyers and whatnot; hey, at least, we're done with that storyline! I did like Doc Samson and his rejecting Better and i also agree, get a new shirt, dammit!! I did LOVE the last page of 66 showing Doc Samson w/ Betty in his arms thinking of his lost wife and child and then Bruce w/ Nadia, thinking of walking along the beach with Betty. Truely amazing.

Wolverine: the end #2- Yeah, i'm gonna hafta re-read #1 cos i'm totally freakin' lost here. :D why is he in tokyo?!? who's there and why?!? doesn't he realize he's weapon X?!? hehehehe

El Chuxter
01-29-2004, 08:00 PM
Haven't been home to read 'em yet, but I got:

Cobra Reborn #1 (That cover is smokin'! :smoker: )
Batman #623
Empire #16
ROTJ Infinities #2
Republic #60 (another awesome cover)
Punisher #2
March 2004 Toyfare (I normally skip this, but wanted the Joe Reborn prequel)
Wanted #2 (based on the glowing recommendation from the proprietor, who has shown excellent tastes in the past)

gsr-jedi
01-31-2004, 08:59 AM
This week, I've only read about 1/2 of them.

Star Wars Empire #16
Ultimate Six #6
Ultimate FF #2
Amazing Spidey #503
ROTJ Infinities #2
Hulk: Gray #5
Batman #623
Cobra: Reborn #1
Incredible Hulk #66
JLA #92
Star Wars Republic #60

Dr Zoltar
02-01-2004, 04:50 PM
The Legion #29

Superman #201
Powers #36
The Walking Dead #4
Hawkman #24
Batman #623
Green Lantern #173
The Flash #206
GI Joe: Cobra Reborn #1
JLA #92
The Punisher #2
Superman: Metropolis #12
ROTJ: Infinities #2
ToyFare #79

QLD
02-03-2004, 06:02 PM
I've been trying to get back into comics lately.

recently I have read the beginnings of The Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, and Ultimate Spiderman.

I also re-read Secret Wars and the Infinity Gauntlet, and JMS's Spiderman. Also read a few of The Exiles.

Today I picked up the 5 graphic novel series of Batman: No Man's Land. ANyone read it? It looks pretty sweet.

Also, can anyone recommned a good series to pick up? I usually prefer to buy a whole series at once, in graphic novel form if possible. But any recommendations are appreciated.

jjreason
02-03-2004, 06:25 PM
Well my 2 favorites overall lately have been New X-Men by Grant Morrison (most arcs available in GN format) and Incredible Hulk by Bruce Morrison. The "Return of the Monster" graphic novel kicks that one off. Top notch stuff, if you like Marvel.

El Chuxter
02-04-2004, 11:03 AM
Crap in a hat! QLD--I mean, LIMP :)--I wrote a long reply with recommendations that seems to have been eaten in a "server too busy" error. Here's the skinny of it:

No Man's Land: Awesome. I don't think they're collected, but look for Cataclysm, Aftershock, and The Road to No Man's Land story arcs throughout the Bat-titles. They lead into it, but No Man's Land is the real meat.

Morrison's X-Men: Awesome. Can't emphasize this enough.

1602: Awesome.

JLA vs Avengers: Awesome.

GIJoe: Awesome. Main series in trade paperback. Frontline is hit-and-miss, but don't miss "The Mission That Never Was" story (with Hama himself finishing out his cut-short ending to the Marvel series).

GIJoe: Cobra Reborn: Awesome.

Eternal Padawan
02-04-2004, 06:09 PM
Good choice with the Ultimate books. Ultimate Spidey is hilarious.

I would recommend any of the Bendis/Maleev Daredevil TPBs. Maleev's art takes a little while to get used too, but the stories are TOP NOTCH.

Both the Top 10 TPBs by Alan Moore are excellent. A bit more adult oriented than mainstream book though.

Supreme Power should be putting out the collected first six issues soon.

Avengers "Red Zone" by Johns and Coipels.

"Hush" There are pros and cons about the story, but Jim Lee drawing the Batman is worth it in so many ways.

Reefer Shark
02-04-2004, 08:13 PM
I think all the books that have been suggested are awesome picks, and I would recommend them too.

Another excellent series of TPB's are the more recent Thor books:

Lord of Asgard
Gods on Earth
Spiral

These are all after the Death of Odin TPB (which was good, but not really great IMO). Where Thor takes on Odin's power & mantle as Lord of Asgard. These aren't the same ole Thor stories, that's for sure!

jjreason
02-05-2004, 08:23 AM
Ummmm....... I made a mistake. Hulk is by Bruce Jones of course.

NEW COMICS TODAY!!!!!

Captain America 21 and 22
Wolverine 9 and 10
New X (last Morrison story) part 2
Uncanny (sleeps with angels) part 2
Hulk 65
Cobra Reborn
Thor (2 issues)
Iron Man (best defense) part 2
Planetary 18
Batman (azzarello) part 2
Astro City: Local Heroes (latest)
Daredevil (not sure of issue number, end of latest david mack story)

Still need to catch up, but the box is a lot thinner. Haven't read anything yet, 4 days off starting today! :cool:

Eternal Padawan
02-05-2004, 09:42 AM
New Comics (2/5/04)

Uncanny X-Men 439
Supreme Power 7
Transformers G1 V3 1
Thanos 6

Uncanny. Good story. Good art. Except that since its a complete lift of Romeo & Juliet (the story arc was even originally called Romeo X) it loses some of the climactic elements. Gee, will the two star crossed lovers bite it in the end? And they are just glossing over the most conflictive element of the story. who wouldn't want to see Ma Guthrie giving Warren a stern going over about wanting to shtup her teenage daughter?

Supreme. oooh! Booboos! :D The mother of all cliffhangers! I must say the sum of these issues is greater than the parts. What a finely crafted story!

Transformers. I guess...ummm...I'm confused. I need to go back a reread #0 because the only thing I remember from that were the suck Quintessons. This new Decepticon intrigues me. Figueroa keeps up a nice standard after Lee. I would like to see more "history" in this continuity that clarifies what happened compared to the Cartoon and previous comic series. There's this vague idea that it is similar to the origins of both, but I wouldn't mind seeing a limited or even an ongoing series setting it in stone. In any case, I'm hooked. Can't wait for next issue. Giant changing robots RULE!!

Thanos. Aha! There's the space epic I was waiting for. Thanos slamming Galactus between TWO FREAKING PLANETS was awesome. And then afterwards, he had the chutzpah to give the Devourer a stern lecture. Where's the Thanos Marvel Legend? It's too bad this was Starlin's final issue, but Ron Lim comes on board next issue!!! The mad Titan returns to...Titan. Expect familial hijinks.

gsr-jedi
02-05-2004, 11:24 PM
Supreme Power #7
Invincible #8 (excellent)
Ultimate Spider-Man #53
Runaways #11
Uncanny X-Men #439
Superman: Birthright #7
X-Men Unlimited #1

gsr-jedi
02-05-2004, 11:26 PM
Uncanny. Good story. Good art. Except that since its a complete lift of Romeo & Juliet (the story arc was even originally called Romeo X) it loses some of the climactic elements. Gee, will the two star crossed lovers bite it in the end? And they are just glossing over the most conflictive element of the story. who wouldn't want to see Ma Guthrie giving Warren a stern going over about wanting to shtup her teenage daughter?

I agree with you, especially if you saw the preview pic of the next issue.

QLD
02-06-2004, 01:15 AM
I read "Red Zone". I liked it.

I just finished reading No Man's Land. It was pretty sweet!

Is HUSH in graphic novel form yet?

Eternal Padawan
02-06-2004, 07:54 AM
They released the first half of Hush already in hardcover. I'm assuming the second half is close to being released. Both will have extra pinups and goodies from Jim Lee, including an intro to the Batman mythos in part one, and the Wizard Zero six page insert story in part two.

El Chuxter
02-06-2004, 10:51 AM
I think the second Hush book is already out. It's good, but sorta fizzles in the end. Of course, Eternal Padawan and I think Hush's story is far from over. Check the "Jim Lee Goes Batty" thread if you want discussion and spoilers on that.

Also, next month Hush's tale continues in Gotham Knights, when Hush goes after the supposed mastermind of the "Hush" story. I say "supposed" because EP and I know who it really has to be. :p

Eternal Padawan
02-09-2004, 06:31 PM
What's up with that Bane Story being billed as a the last Bane story ever? What, now that Hush is on the scene, there isn't room for two new Bat arch nemeses? That's whack. of course, I haven't read comics for a decade, so Bane might have turned into the biggest plot tool and deserves to be put out to pasture. if that's the case, it's a shame to see such an intriguing character squandered. Oh well, onto intriguing character squandering; Round II.

gsr-jedi
02-12-2004, 09:52 PM
Secret War #1
Knights 4 #1 (A lot better than I was expecting; really good)
1602 #7
Ultimate X-Men #42 (this series seems like it's leading to an Ultimate X-Factor)
Sentinel #12
Hulk #67
Teen Titans #8
Street Fighter #5
Fables #22 (like Ultimate X #41, they dropped a stand-alone story in the middle of the arc)

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2004, 08:46 AM
Well, I received Star Wars #99 from the old Marvel series to finally complete the 107 book set. I know that's not current (the cover dialogue [remember when cover used to actually tell you a hint about what would happen inside the comic?] says "If Lando dies... I'll destroy your planet!" Heavy), but it's significant for me, and I never get to post in this here thread anymore it seems... :(

jjreason
02-14-2004, 09:50 AM
Congrats, Bel Cam! I've been chasing that series for a long time, but I'm still not quite at the point yet where I can buy 1 issue at a time to clean it up (still in need of nearly 40 issues of the regular series, 3 Annuals and the ROJ 4 issue Limited Series). Luckily I have most of the last 20 or so issues, those have gone up quite a bit.

Bel-Cam Jos
02-14-2004, 06:47 PM
Thanks, jjr! I only paid $20 or more for two issues ($35 for #107 and got ripped off for #68, the Boba Fett "origin" issue for $20), so I took my time (#99 cost me $3.36 for a fine copy when I could've bought it years ago for over $15).

I still need about 11 of the Ewoks and all the Droids except for 1-3, and there's no way I can get started on Dark Horse SW comics this late in the game. I just wait for TPBs.

AT-AT Man
02-14-2004, 09:00 PM
yesterday my copies of Ultimate X-Men 40 and Uncanny X-Men 440 came in the mail. Both were awesome. I'm really liking Austins work on Uncanny, it's awesome. I love the whole Romeo and Juliet feel of the story.

With Ultimate X-Men, Bendis is like a frickin god. Everyting he does is superb. I still have yet to pic up Ultimate 6 number 7, and hope to d so tomorow at my comic shop.

jjreason
02-15-2004, 01:54 AM
Bel-Cam, just in case you're thinking about trying to pick up any of the older Dark Horse stuff - I'm in possession of nearly all of the first three years worth (minus the first prints of the original Dark Empire). The only series' I had any particular affinity for were the Tales of the Jedi run and the Rogue Squadron stories. The rest would be eligible to be moved at an extremely fair price.

gsr-jedi
02-19-2004, 12:21 AM
The Pulse #1 (written by the writer of Ultimate Spidey & Ultimate X)
Daredevil #57
Star Wars Republic #61
Uncanny X-Men #440
New X-Men #153
Superman: Secret Identity #2
Superman/Batman #6
Runaways #12
DC: The New Frontier #2

I'm going out of town, so I'm waiting to read them all on the plane.

Eternal Padawan
02-19-2004, 02:57 PM
New Comics(2/18/04)
Secret War 1
Pulse 1
Superman/Batman 6
Teen Titans 8
New X-Men 153
Batman Gotham Knights 50
Action 812
Adventures 625
New Mutants 9
Daredevil 57
Uncanny X-Men

Secret War. More bombastic writing by the omni present Bendis. This time he gives SHIELD honcho Nick Fury the spotlight. And asks the intriguing question of how and why petty criminals can afford expensive techno battle suits and the maitenance on them as well. The next five issues will answer in the witty Bendis style. ohhh...too bad about Killer Shrike.

Pulse. Bendis again. Bagley's art seems wrong for this project. Don't get me wrong, I like Bags. Ever since ASM and his work in Ult Spidey is fabtastic, but this just seems...I don't know. Like his quintessential "comic" style clashes with the down to earth style pace of the storyline. Just a bunch of people in regular clothes hanging out in the Daily Bugle newsroom talking about super heroes just wastes Bagley's talent. And WHO IS THE DEAD WOMAN? At first I thought it was Jessica. Then I thought that's an Avengers ID card, so maybe it's Janet Van Dyne or the Black Widow, but they wouldn't kill either of them off...so who is it?

SuperBat. An epic conclusion to the first storyline!!! President Lex's downfall. Giant SuperBat spaceships! I firmly believe now more than ever that Jeph Loeb is using the entire DC milieu to laugh at his readers. At least Metallo didn't turn out to be Martha and Thomas Wayne's killer. I can't wait for the Pat Lee issue next month.

Teen Titans. More Titan goodness from Johns and TOM GRUMMET! Hurrah!!! Tom on a Titans book is just the right thing to do. Didn't much like Mammoth and Tom Thumb (or whatever his name is) from the Fearsome Five just happening to be the villains. Can the Titans get some new villains please? Pretty please?

New X-Men. Silverstri, AKA mutant illustrating god draws pretty X-Men pictures. So go buy it now.

Gotham Knights. I was gonna pick this up since it was supposed to be the LAST bane story ever. I guess I missed a month since this is instead a continuation of the Lee/Loeb Hush story from last year's Batman run. Except without Lee or Loeb. I must say, even without those two, it was still a pretty good read. The Joker thing with the photo album was VERY intriguing. The art was lean and tight in a good way. This is much better than that Azarello crap in regular Batman. Definitely getting next issue.

Action/Adventures. The Mike Turner/Joe Kelly Godfall story in the Superbooks is pretty good. I was impressed by Caldwell's pencils inside. Almost as good as Turner's covers.

New Mutants. I'm glad I stuck with this series. It's getting much better with this second story arc. Rahne 'Wolfsbane" Sinclaire returns (leaving only Cannonball and Sunspot to show up now). The interaction between all the classmates is great. I hope they don't turn this into another super team book. the way they've got it now is a breath of fresh air. Bonus point: Wolverine is nowhere to be found....

Daredevil. Whoop! Bendis again! Seriously. the guy is awesome at writing dialogue and at creating refreshing storylines. They should clone him and have him write ALL Marvel books.

Eternal Padawan
02-26-2004, 12:27 PM
New Comics(2/25/04)

Amazing Spidey 504
Avengers 494
Batman 624
GIJoe 27
JLA 93
Punisher 3
Superman 202
Transformers G1 V3 2
Ultimate Fantastic Spectacular Superior Nifty Four 3
Wizard 150

Back Issues

A bunch of Alias comics at half off cover, which I haven't read yet.

ASM. JMS just needs to get his Doc Strange thing going so he can quit doing all this magic hokum in Spidey's flagship title. I like the idea of Loki doing "good", but PLEASE just toss a few classic rogues into the book. PLEASE.

Avengers. What happened to Coipels? Bring Oliver back!!! I think Austen COMPLETELY miswrote Captain America being all unsure about what to say to the children. But I liked the comfrontation between the others about Hank's spousal abuse. That was intense. And then Hawkeye went and got his keister handed to him by the wrecking crew. Other than the lack of pretty drawings by Oliver Coipels it was a pretty good ish.

Batman. Well, we finally get somewhere with this whole Angel thing. I think Broken City could've been a three parter. This issue was good, but it doesn't make up for the crappy last three issues and I'll be glad to see Azzarello move on and Winick get his turn in two months. And WHEN is the Hush follow up by Loeb and Lee? They said it was after this run, but now Lee is on Supes for a year. ARRRRGH!!!

GIJoe. Seeley's covers always look FLAT. Especially compared to the other lush covers on the racks these days. I don't like it. And next months looks just as uninspired. The inside was good though. I liked the confrontation of Snake-Eyes' radical behavior. Duke and Hawk giving him the proverbial hand slap. It's cool to see that Jerwa isn't afraid to take the SUPER NINJA down a notch and remind us this is a team military book. Very nice. And T'jbang of Ninja Force returns! HA HA HA! Sweet.

JLA. Honestly this whole three parter just seems filler until Tenth Circle begins next month. And the art was/is atrocious.

Punisher. Another solid issue. I thought the art was a little weaker from the two previous issues, then I realized it was Tom Palmer ruining it with his heavy handed blobbing of ink all over Larosa's pencils. Palmer covers everything with a layer of inky mediocrity. He did it on Avengers for decades and now that he's fallen into a pattern on Punisher he'll be doing it here. So now I'm relying on Ennis more than ever to keep me reading this book. The third cool cover in a row.

Superman. Another good issue from Turner, Kelly , and Caldwell. I like the new Super-suit. It's tough to redefine an iconic look and it never lasts, but the whole red black and silver thing is pretty sweet. If they ever made a DC Direct figure of Kal-El in this get up I'd snag one.

Transformers. Honestly, this book is confusing. And i think it's because they have to many characters doing too many things and they don't keep us in touch with them enough. I keep wondering whats going on with Jazz and the others and I realized I'm not even sure where they are or whats happening to them. Is it too hard to give us a panel or six to see that part of the story line? Or Megatron? I'll probably have toi sit down and reread 0,1,and 2 again. But I don't have to do that with any other series I read and I shouldn't have to do it here.

Ultimate 4 ( as it should have been titled). Awesome. Wicked. Neato. Dare I say it? FANTASTIC. And finding out Warren Ellis is jumping onboard with issue 7 is just sweet. And Stu Immonen on pencils! Sweet! Hmmmmm...Sweet! I just needed to add that other Sweet because it would be sweet to say sweet a bunch of times when talking about this mag. Remember when there was this other cool Ultimate book called The Ultimates? That was sweet too. But I bought issues 1-11 in like a two week period, then I had to wait four months for the 12th issue and now its gonna take another six months for the last issue to come out. Then we should see the first issue of the new series come out in 2008. Not so sweet.

Dr Zoltar
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
New Comics(2/25/04)
Transformers. Honestly, this book is confusing. And i think it's because they have to many characters doing too many things and they don't keep us in touch with them enough.
Thanks for the updates. This is the whole reason I dumped all of the new Transformers titles. It is confusing. It's extremely difficult to keep track of who is doing what, and the art work doesn't help. The colors are nice, but some panels it was just tough to figure out what the heck was going on.

Eternal Padawan
03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
New Comics(3/3/04)

GIJoe Reborn
Thanos 7
SuperBat 7
Supreme Power 8
Captain America and the Falcon 1
Uncanny X-Men 442
Alias 28

Reborn. I liked the introduction of the characters. Except uber enigma Snake Eyes. Like its just this random ninja who seems to be running around and nobody notices? How could you not notice somebody on the helicoptor with you?

Thanos. Keith Giffen and Ron Lim quietly take over the title from Starlin. I remember Giffen from Justice League and Lobo years ago, so I expect over the top, tongue in cheek humor from the universe's most dangerous purple guy. I like the new costume too. That blue and gold body suit always seemed out of date even when he wore it in the 70s. I hope this new outfit is permanent. And I hope the word spreads that this is a good read every month so it don't get cancelled.

Superbat. Pat Lee's pencils just don't work here. They seem off kilter, like he can't get anatomy right without skewing everybody's proportions. And it was entirely too dark for the content. The story was fluff. Patiently waiting next month's awesome Turner arc to begin.

Supreme Power. As awesome as this issue was, it was like I was reading the preface to a book of whupass which will be read aloud next month by Mark to his superiors. And can we please see more of the others? It's all Mark this and Mark that.

Cap/Falcon. Okay. Priest and Sears give a mediocre plot some sparkle. And then a crafty cliffhanger making me want to at least pick up next issue and flip thru it on the rack.

Uncanny. Brilliant conclusion to She sleeps with Angels. i was hoping the Draco would be the story arc people would be talking about, but it fell way short. This one, however, delivers. I think every issue of such a high selling comic should swing for the fences like this story arc did.

Alias. Technically not new this week, but still on the racks at cover price. And it's sort of a Pulse #0 if you will. Plus its all Bendis...who is the Shakespeare of 21st century comic book dialogue. The guy could write two guys in a coffee shop talking about the rules to Monopoly for 22 pages, have Spider-Man swing by on the last page, slap a Spider-Man logo on the front cover, and everybody would love it.

Comics to avoid

Alpha Flight 1

Ugh. The Poor Flight. Can nobody get them right? Thier last appearances in X-Men turned them into ahole govt super jerks, now this is having them be all nancy poser wannabes. Except having Nemesis working a stripper pole. That was sweet.

gsr-jedi
03-05-2004, 10:32 AM
This week:

G.I. Joe Reborn
Action Comics #812
Spider-Man Unlimited #2
Star Wars Empire #17
Superman: Birthright #8
ROTJ Infinites #3
SuperBat #7
Uncanny X-Men #441 (I agree, awesome conclusion to this arc)
Supreme Power #8

Eternal Padawan
03-11-2004, 07:14 AM
New Comics(3/10/04)

Avengers/Thunderbolts 1
Captain America 24
Hulk 68
Iron Man 78
JLA 94
Action Comics 812

Kitten's Comics

Knight's 4 3
Ultimate Spidey 54
Ultimate X-Men 43
Emma Frost 9

Avengers/'bolts. Having not read any of the Thunderbolts original saga, I didn't know what to make of this. Is Zemo trustworthy, or did his characterization in the original series backup Cap's incredulity at his newfound goodness? I also hate when writers give Steve an intractable quality and pass it off as strong morals and values. The Cap I always remember was very optimistic and forgiving about people. I guess that Cap tanked in sales and we've got hardass Steve now. None of the characters were strongly defined. I suppose this was done enough in the regular book, that the implications are there, but to me, it was just a bunch of costumes. Don't know if I'll keep this one up.

Capitan America. Other than the dialogue between Cap and the chica revolutionary about "freedom" this was a mishmash. And the fight scene montage at the end was so confusing and uninspired. Bachalo's art looks like he rushed this issue out in an afternoon, so he could go play softball or something. And again, I have to stress how tales like this could have been told in ONE issue back in the day, not three or four or twelve. Bigger splashier panels does not make for better storytelling.

Hulk. I hate clones. I hate clone stories. It seems to me like a weak, hackneyed, copout morally inflaming tool. Ohhhh..is the clone REAL?? Is it a PERSON?? I could care less. I was more interested in seeing Nadia running around in her skimpy undies again. Maybe Betty could have shed a few articles herself. Bruce Jones likes to do that with his female characters. Strip 'em down to the skivvies. Me likey. And for the hundredth time, Doc Samson...LOSE THE SHIRT.

Iron Man. A decent conclusion to the Best Defense story arc. Ending with Tony's confirmation as the new SecDef. Does this mean the Iron Man armor will pass into new hands? I'm debatin' whether to keep this title, and a new guy in the armor would definitely keep me...

JLA. Ugh. I have been looking forward to this for months and the whole thing is turning sour already. I mean, when I think epic story from Claremont and Byrne, I don't want to get saddled with a substandard villain and what do we get? A crotchity old VAMPIRE. First off, I hate Vampires in comic book stories in general, but this guy looks like about as much of a threat as Mr. Belvedere. Chris, what the hell happened to you? This can only get better.

Action. How goofy is the plot device that has the last city of Krypton in a BOTTLE in the fortress of solitude? And WHY do writers insist on dipping back into that well over and over and over? IT'S A SILLY ONE ISSUE PLOT FROM THE SILLY 60's PEOPLE. Let it go. Let's instead talk about the artist on this series. His first name is Talent. How serendipitous is that? His parents had the audicity to name their child Talent and then it turns out he has it in spades? Quelle bonne artiste. Viva la Talent Caldwell! ooh, the backup story about the little boy was good too.

Knight's 4. Kitten buys these, but I get to read 'em, so I figured it's my province to yak about them as well. Who is Kitten? She's my new and improved girlfriend. Kitten isn't her real name. But I digress. This new Marvel Knights book is killer. Every issue leaves me fulfilled. I am seriously thinking about dropping one of my other titles to start this one. I highly suggest this to all of you out there.

Ultimate Spidey. I've been gettihng these in TPB but know I get to read them as they come out. The whole movie thing is hilarious. What the hell, it's Bendis right? Bendis rules.

Ultimate X-Men. Bendis again. And the formation of the new govt controlled X-Team. I like how Alex is Scott's OLDER brother in this continuity. And it was FURY who sent Logan to kill the kid in the cave, not the Professor. interesting.

Emma Frost. Another decent issue. I'm not sorry I dropped this title, but it's good to keep following it.

Beast
03-11-2004, 12:08 PM
Ultimate X-Men 43 was great. I really like the changes to Alex. And the canidates for the President's education team were great. I had a hard time figuring out all twelve. But other then one, I think I have all of them figured out. Beast, Havok, Dazzler, Polaris, Sunspot(?), Thunderbird, Wolfsbane, Bishop, Blink, and Callisto. And it looks like the final team will be, Beast, Havok, Dazzler, Karma, and either Callisto or Blink. Depending on who the president considers having crawled out from under a rock. I would think it would be Blink that was declined. But Callisto being a Morlock in 616, could be considered having crawled out from under a rock. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-11-2004, 12:13 PM
Bishop in Ultimate? Is there any actual background on him, or just a cameo?

Beast
03-11-2004, 12:40 PM
Bishop in Ultimate? Is there any actual background on him, or just a cameo?
He just has a small cameo. He appears on the White House Situation Room viewscreen. Basically looks somewhat like his 616 version, but no stupid M shaped tattoo on his face. The president turns him down, because he's got a criminal record and served time in jail. Which doesn't work for ole Dubya. Since the teams is being built to be politically correct and as an education team, not a police force. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

AT-AT Man
03-11-2004, 06:42 PM
well i should be getting UXM and USM in the mail shortly, so i'll let you all know how i like it. Also i'll pick up Marvel Knights #3.

AT-AT Man
03-12-2004, 05:26 PM
hey, got my copies of UXM and USM today. I th9ught bith were great and i can't wait to see whats going to happen with the rest of the arc. It's really shaping up to be a good story. I love the drawings, they are awsome.

gsr-jedi
03-13-2004, 11:03 AM
This week:

Street Angel #1
An indie book that's all in black & white about a young girl (I believe she's around 15 for some reason, but they never say) who fights crime armed only with her, and I quote, "Phat skateboarding skills, martial artistry, and tricked out deck." It's hard to believe that this little girl with no powers can beat up a room full of adult ninjas with swords and nunchaku, and the like. Some parts were so-so, but overall the writing was good.

Action Comics #813
Superman books were all I used to read a couple of years ago, and haven't read any in a long time, so I'm trying to get back into them. With that said, I Adventures #625, which is part 2 of this Godfall story-arc, so I'm a little unsure as to the events that transpired to get to this point. So for me, it was kind of confusing. The backup story was really good. It could have been an issue all by itself.

JLA #94
I agree with EP, this doesn't look to appetizing thus far. To me it makes me think it could have been an old story-arc in like the mid-80's. It can only get better.

Hulk #68
Overall this story-arc has taken a dip, especially with the end of this issue. I just think it got a little to confusing and convoluted. I did like the love triangle between Bruce, Betty, and Nadia. That just seemed more character driven and more interesting.

Marvel Knights 4 #3
Another great issue. It's so great to see them trying to do regular jobs. Without being a book about just fighting villains, it seems to make the characters a little more realistic. Does anyone else seem to think that this series seems to spend a lot of time focusing on Sue?

Ultimate X-Men #43
Very interesting to see the "Ultimate" version of some more of the X-characters. Who is the guy at the end saying they're going to have to make a stand, is that Stryker?

Fables #23
This story has been pretty good with Red Riding Hood coming in. I love the scene at the beginning, when Hugh, Drew, & Lou (who are 3 goblins from the old lands), go to buy a big pile of guns and the store owner says you have to wait 3 days, so they rip the little tabs off his calender and say "now it's been 3 days."

Ultimate Spider-Man #54
The movie thing is great. The whole issue was funny, but especially the beginning between Gwen & Peter. Good stuff.

Eternal Padawan
03-18-2004, 08:25 AM
New Comics(3/17/04)

Advs of Superman 626
Amazing Spidey 505
Batman Gotham Knights 51
Daredevil 438
New Mutants 10
New X-Men 154
Robin 124
Superbat 8
Teen Titans 9
Thanos 8

Holy crap what a big week!

Superman. Continuation of the Kandor storyline with excellent art by Talent Caldwell. It sucks being a Superman collector. A new book every week? That's gotta spank the pocketbook. I used to be that way with Superman, Batman, Spider-Man, etc. Spider-Man, thank goodness has a bunch of crap titles other than Amazing. What's up with that turd that Humerto draws? Gads, he a crap artist though. Anyway, pretty soon, I'll only be getting the Jim Lee Superman book...despite Azarello's writing.

Amazing Spidey. Speaking of which, why is it all the hoodlums/ disaffected youth in the Spidey book recently are minorities? Whitey-Man has to go out and help the little brothers from their lives of crime? It's getting old JMS. Make with the rogue gallery already and drop your racist stereotyping of New York's youth culture.

Gotham Knights. Is this the new movie costume on the cover? It's an interesting design that doesn't correspond with the interior costume of this or any other Bat book. The plot thickens in the Hush/Riddler/Joker thingie. Oh, and Batman shows up too.

Daredevil. Mostly talking heads issue. Ben, Milla, Foggy...the night nurse (snicker.) The night nurse?

New Mutants. Another solid issue of teenage angst and school stuff. So none of the students bat an eye when their teacher shows up in a reverse bondage outfit like Emma Fost's? I wouldn't remember one thing about the lesson if My teacher was showing more skin than a Maxim model.

New X-Men. Marc. It wasn't nearly long enough. Grant. Thank you for an amazing run. Good bye.

Robin. Holy crap! Tim Drake's father finds out...everything! Holy crap!

Superbat. What a fantastic first issue of a story arc. This is like the complete opposite of the Tenth Circle in JLA. Really good art. Really good story. And Kara wrapped in the white sheet AND Clark's cape at the end? Tasteeeeee. :D

Teen Titans. Another smoothe issue from Johns and McKone ( who returns this issue after stellar fill ins from Gummett). All the sub stories are building up nicely. Dismantled Cyborg sure woke me up!

Thanos. More grooviness from Giffen and Lim. This will be one to read when you have all the issues in hand. Thanos kicks all kinds of butt. Where's the Thanos Marvel Legend?

jjreason
03-19-2004, 12:11 AM
Finally, this camel found the comic oasis. :D Bear with me, these have been stockpiled in the store, some for up to 2 months. I have no idea which week out of the last 8 or so each came from. I haven't read a single issue yet, so reviews and impressions will have to come in time. It's taken me the last hour or so to sort my stuff and see where I've missed an issue. Luckily enough none of these were duplicates (I pulled a few extras off the rack if I didn't recognize where the story was starting off or ending).

NEW COMICS, MARCH 18

Darkminds: Macropolis 3
New X-Men 153, 154
Uncanny X-Men 439, 440, 441
X-Men Unlimited 1
Amazing Spider-Man 503, 504, 505
Spectacular Spider-Man 8 (was sitting on 9 and still need 10 which is likely out)
Avengers 75,76 (as above, I've had 77 for awhile, and still need 78, etc)
Iron Man: Best Defense 3,4
Thor: the Reigning 4,5
FF 510, 511
Batman 623, 624
Hulk 66,67,68
1602 6,7
Supreme Power 7,8
Daredevil 55 (had 56, needed this one, still need 57 and 58!!!! GAAAAAHHHH!)

Yikes. I was really backed up. Not good. And the worst part was I saw a TON of other stuff I still need and didn't get (Silver Surfer, Thanos, Emma Frost, JLA Avengers, Ultimate Six, Powers, Namor..... ridiculous).

kool-aid killer
03-22-2004, 08:25 PM
I picked up the Transformers Armada More Than Meets the Eye just a few minutes ago. I havent cracked it open yet but am sure i wont be disappointed in learning a bit more about a few bots. I wouldnt call myself a fan of Armada, but i do enjoy it a bit. Anybody know how many issues of Armada they will release? I cant imagine it being more than three. Hopefully the next type of More Than Meets the Eye that comes out will cover characters from the Beast Wars line.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
03-23-2004, 11:10 AM
Ultimate Spidey 54- Great issue, though a bit odd. The whole angle about themt making a movie about Webhead and we see Sam Raimi and Tobey Maguire, who wines a lot. Pretty humorous issue with Doc Ock gettin' out, which was sweet.

Hulk- dead like me, 3 of 4 (issue 68)- Good issue; i loved the ending as we're finally seeing a bit more of the Hulk. Should be sweet to see the two Hulks battling.

cheers! :D

Eternal Padawan
03-24-2004, 05:55 PM
New Comics(3/24/04)

Cable/Deadpool 1
Avengers 495
Ultimate Four 4
Hulk 69 (heh heh)
Transformers G1 V3 3

Kitten's Comics

Hulk:Gray 6
Ultimate Spidey 55

Cable/Deadpool. If there's one character Fabian was meant to write, it's Wade Wilson. "I can do the Shatner roll if I have too." I also love how Liefeld is allowed to do the covers, but they won't let him touch the interiors. is that a kick in the nuts for the Robster or what? heh he heh...

Avengers. So can anyone tell me what happened to Brian Braddock and Meggan? They're like spirits or something? I'm not sure what to make of a chick in the Captain Britain uniform. That outfit never looked to good on a guy, it looks even crappier on a chick. It's like stuffing a dude into the silver Dazzler costume from the 70s and calling him Dazzler II. heh. That visual makes me laugh. I just realized that Avengers 500 is almost upon us. I wonder what villain Austen will give us for the story arc leading into it. Probably Loki...

Ultimate Four. I read that Millar and Bendis were getting swamped by everything that they write and had to hand this one over to Warren Ellis. i can tell. It didn't suck, but this issue suffered from the "going through the motions" phoenomenon. Its sub standard Bendis, which is still stellar in anyone elses book, but it didn't tip my candle over if you get my meaning. I too am waiting for Victor to return.

Hulk. See my comments in the Hulk thread, recently ressurected by everyone's fave Canadian Lawman.

Transformers. How confusing is the artwork in this book? I didn't realize that Jetfire and Skyfire were two different characters the entire book and I was just like "Huh? Wha? Who?" the whole time. i like the artwork, but the plotting or staging of it in terms of a coherent narrative need MAJOR work. Megatron comes back next issue. Cool.

Hulk:Gray. See my comments in the Hulk thread. Me no likey. Even Kitten said she regrets getting the series. She felt obligated to pick this up since she had the other five. i feel bad for her.

Ultimate Spidey. Whoa. Awesome. The whole movie storyline in brilliant. only from the mind of Bendis. If Bruce Cambell cameos as Mysterio in the actual film that would ROCK. Bruce Cambell kicks butt!

Dr Zoltar
03-24-2004, 07:15 PM
Just picked up today (but before any new comics were delivered to my shop :( )

Superman/Batman #8
Robin #124
Teen Titans #9
Superman #626
Aquaman #16
Batman Gotham Knights #47-49, 51
GI Joe Reborn #1
The Walking Dead #5
Wizard Edge (Week of 3/17) for the Powers preview comic\

Yes, I'm almost solely a DC and Image guy. And again I'm going to plug:

Y: The Last Man
Fables

I urge everyone to pick up at least one trade for each and read it. They are the best new Vertigo comics out at the moment.

Rocketboy
03-24-2004, 11:20 PM
I picked up
Star Wars Republic #62
Hellboy: The Corpse (Only a quarter!)

I wanted The Essential Punisher, but they were sold out.

There were a couple of others, which I may pick up later, like:
Cable & Deadpool #1, but I'm not much of a X title fan anymore (besides NYX, which isn't really an X title)
And there was another, but I can't remember what one right now...

dr_evazan22
03-25-2004, 06:03 PM
I picked up

SW: Republic
Ult Spidey

I thought that this ish of Republic did a decent job of capturing the 'flavor' of Ani's basic unrest (the way they showed him continuing to have bad dreams) and his inability to follow orders (even if what he feels is true). The worst thing about this book was the very end which I felt was very sit-com-ish.

Rocketboy
03-26-2004, 11:57 AM
The worst thing about this book was the very end which I felt was very sit-com-ish.Yeah, I got that sitcom feeling too. I expected them all to be laughing. They should've left it with a cliffhanger or a "to be continued..." for the next issue. But at least this way they can start fresh with a new story.

dr_evazan22
04-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Let's see, this week I picked up

Spectacular SM 12
Ultimates 13 (Yay!) BTW- I loe the story title on the cover - How I learned to love the Hulk

SW ROTJ Infinities

Infinities- You open the book to a page of the space battle and the art looks pretty damn good. The you get to panels with artwork of the characters and it sucks. Ryan Benjamin was the penciler, and I seriously hope that DH never uses him again in ANY freakin' SW book! On the 2nd to last page there is a panel that shows Luke, Leia and Mon Mothma, and they look like caricatures you would get at an amusement park. Two pages before that, the top panel shows Chewie sitting, wounded, by the holo chess table, and you can barely discern any detail other then his bandolier.

Ryan benjamin, you SUCK!

You SUCK!

You SUCK!

:beard:

jjreason
04-02-2004, 11:56 PM
dr_evazan, you've got to learn not to hold in all that frustration, you're just going to burst someday. :crazed:

Now when you say he sucks, can you expand for us? Does he suck out loud? Could he suck a golf ball through a garden hose? Fill us in...... :D

Just lurking in here again this week, stupid bills.......

Rocketboy
04-03-2004, 05:32 PM
Now when you say he sucks, can you expand for us? Does he suck out loud? Could he suck a golf ball through a garden hose? Fill us in...... :D

Just lurking in here again this week, stupid bills.......All of the above. His art is pretty bad in most of ROTJ Infinities.

This week I picked up:
Jedi Infinities #4
The Punisher #4
The Essential Punisher

AT-AT Man
04-08-2004, 11:18 PM
forgot to mention that i picked up Ultimates 13. You don't know how psyched i as about this. When i opened it and read it, i was so happy that it turned out so good. I can't wait for volume 2. definately a pick up for you guys out there.

Sentinel18725
04-08-2004, 11:29 PM
I picked up Punisher: The End

Not overly impressed. Kind of fatalistic if you ask me, but I guess I have to be disappointed sometimes.

kool-aid killer
04-09-2004, 04:05 PM
I just picked up Transformers More Than Meets The Eye Aramada #2 today. Ive only briefly flipped thru it but it looks like it continues with the excellent drawings and interesting character bios.

Rocketboy
04-09-2004, 11:45 PM
I picked up Punisher: The End

Not overly impressed. Kind of fatalistic if you ask me, but I guess I have to be disappointed sometimes.I picked that up also. I liked it. It was kind of a downer, but how could it not be, considering it is "The End."

I picked up Star Wars Republic #63. Not bad, but I'm sick of Quinlin Vos.

jjreason
04-12-2004, 04:14 PM
I stopped by the shop as I was "in that neck of the woods". Picked up only 2 books from last week: Uncanny 442 and New X-Men 155, both by Chuck Austen, and both first part stories which will bridge the gap into the "Reloaded" stuff next month.

I also got:

Planetary 19
MKFF 1
Pulse 1
Squadron Supreme 9

Also managed to find a copy of GI Joe Reloaded #1 that I set aside for payday. Good stuff, as I thought I'd missed it. Now, if I can find that first issue of Bendis' "Secret War", I'll be up to speed.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-14-2004, 04:22 PM
I picked up:

Ghostbusters #1
Hulk #70
Ultimate spider-man #56
Wolverine: The End #3

I'm anxious to see how ultimate spider-man works out and i'm REALLY giddy to see how this new Ghostbusters comic pans out. It's only, oh, 2 months late?!!? :D

Eternal Padawan
04-15-2004, 10:26 AM
New Comics(3/30/04)
Avengers/JLA 4
Batman 625
GIJoe Reloaded 1
GIJoe 28
JLA 95
Pulse 2
Punisher 4
Superman 203
Transformers GIJoe 6
Ultimates 13

New Comics(4/7/04)

Amazing Spidey 506
Captain America/Falcon 2
MK 4 1, 2, and 3
Punisher: The End
Supreme Power 9
Thanos 9
Transformers War Within Dark Ages 2
(New) X-Men 155
Uncanny X-Men 442

New Comics(4/14/04)

Captain America 25
MK 4 4
Hulk 70
JLA 96
New Mutants 11
1602 8
MK Spider-Man 1
Teen Titans 10
Teen Titans Go! 1

Whew! Lots of books there. Lots of endings, JLA/Avengers, Broken City, TF/GIJoe, Ultimates,1602, Turner's Superman run...too much to comment on today. But I'll be back with some thoughts later on.

jjreason
04-15-2004, 11:18 AM
That IS a lot of comics. Good luck with Tony and Sal, I'm sure they'll be by your place later on this week to collect...... ;)

Rocketboy
04-15-2004, 09:54 PM
Yesterday, I picked up
Star Wars Tales # 19
Spider-man #1

Tales is usually a fun read, whether it's an Infinities story or not. They do have their stinkers though. A couple of good ones this issue, like the "Breakfast Club" parody and "Into the Great Unknown" were kinda cool. My biggest problem with Tales is that many of the stories are too short.
As for Spider-man, it's the first Spidey comic I've purchased in years. I've always liked Spidey. but never got into his comics. The art was the main reason I picked it up - the Green Goblin looks really cool in there. Marvel Knights should be a good direction for Spidey.

Gungan Warrior
04-18-2004, 05:59 PM
I got the latest Clone Wars Comic! YEAH!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-29-2004, 06:12 PM
Today i got Ultimate Spidey 57 and Hulk 71.

ULT spidey- This was a FANTASTIC ISSUE!!! Great to see Parker at Doc Ock's mercy and i'm hella curious how he escaped...but the kicker was: Gwen found Peters Spider-Man outfit!!! :sur: It'll be great to see how things unravel with this discovery!!

Hulk was very good with a nice quarrel between Iron Man and Hulk. I LOVE the last page where Hulk has that sniper in his hand about to crush him. It'll be nuts to see where the story goes after Jones leaves. Cheers! :D

Eternal Padawan
04-29-2004, 08:11 PM
New Comics(4/20/04)
SuperBat 9
Cable Deadpool 2 ( Ya think Wade is peeved he's second billed?)
Batman Gotham Knights 52
New Mutants 12
Robin 125
Daredevil 59
New X-Men 156
Uncanny X-Men 443

SuperBat. Turner's run on this title is awesome! And his Kara? Va va va voooooom!

Cable Deadpool. Hilarity ensues everytime Nate dispatches Wade by telekinetically exploding the back of his skull off. And dear lord in heaven, Liefeld is bringing X-Force back....somebody bring me my steel toed boots.

Gotham Knights. Another banger issue. I like how the villains get as much "screentime" as Bats. And that Joker is certifiable ain't he? WOW! (circle finger around ear...)

New Mutants. The final issue ( or so I thought) wrapped up things nicely. But ( ugh) the cover of Mutant Academy has them all in uniforms. NOOOO!

Robin. So long Tim. Hello Steph.

Daredevil. Ha. In the newest Wizard, Quesada came right out and said Bendis was Marvel's most valuable asset. Daredevil is why. I can't belives they killed the FBI guy. He was kinda cool.

New/Uncanny. Austen and Larroca wrap up the X-Universe before the reload. Decent issues. Chuck really gave Lorna her comeuppance.

New Comics(4/27/04)

Daredevil:Father 1
Transformers G1 V3 4
Ultimate Six 7
GIJoe Reload 2
Superman 204
Punisher 5
MK 4 5
Avengers 496
Batman 626
JLA 97
Hulk 71
New Mutants 13
X-Treme X-Men 46
Ultimate Fantastic Superb Wondrous Adroitly Curiously Strong Four 5
Green Lantern 176

Father. Quesada draws DD so barrel chested, I thought maybe he was a logger by day instead of a lawyer. Nice set up. Reminds me of the classic MWOF sereies by Miller and Romita JR. Hey! What ever happened to the little girl in that series that Matt was training. I bet shes all grown up by now. Can anyone say female Daredevil??

Transformers. Omega Supreme!! Rock!!! I could actually follow this issue. Can anyone tell me where Optimus is?

Ultimate Six. Other than sowing the seeds for Ultimate Harry to be the new Ultimate GG, this was kind of a weak ending.

GIJOE. As much as it pains me, seeing as how it was GIJoe that got me collecting again last year, this and the regular series are getting weaker every month and they are on my chopping block. There is nothing fresh about this series.

Superman. JIM LEE!!!! JIM LEEE!!!!! And a confusing "Hey we'll tell you the ending before the beginning" setup where Lois is...gone ( and Clark is Catholic apparently.)

Punisher. Ennis kicks it hardcore. My fave comic on the racks right now ( and not just because of the movie). The MAX imprint fits Frank like a glove. And Micro's back, which is cool. Lots of cussing and violence.

MK 4. Uhhhh....the Fantastic Three go camping in Jersey. What a cool book.

Avengers. I really, really like the idea that Kelsey can't tell her family who she is because her children are so much more important to her than being CapBrit. It's like the ultimate sacrifice. It's too bad Marvel feels the need to cancel and restart this series. I think tossing Bendis on board would kick up sales regardless of the issue number.

Batman. Thank goodness a decent non Azzarello story line with Penguin AND Scarecrow. But I miss Loeb and Lee. ( sniffle)

JLA. If Claremont and Byrne are TRYING to do retro, then this kitsch is allright. But what I think is happening is these two legendary titans are both pulling on opposite ends of the creative rope and were getting mediocrity right down the center. And the exclamation points on the covers make me want to slap...somebody.

Hulk. Deodato's back ( before he takes on Amazing Spidey...a Deodato drawn MJ? Bring it on!!!) considering both Hulk and Iron Man were in this, it was alittle weak. A cool cover thoough.

New Mutants. Okay the REAL final issue mixes the new group, but more importantly, rounds up the original NMs for a nice final send off before the Reload. It was very very cool, to see how all of these characters have grown and changed, but I was alittle dissappointed that noone mentioned Doug, or Illyana, or Warlock. Maybe a conversation at their gravesite or something.

Extreme. Hey, it was the last issue...

Ultimate Four. Nostalgia reigns supreme as the Fantastic Three ( Ben,Reed, and Johhny) take on a giant monster wreaking havoc through downtown NYC Ala the cover of FF #1. I hate it when the coolest books come to the last page too quickly because I always have to wait a friggin month to find out what happenes next.

Green Lantern. I just found out that after this stroy arc is done, the book gets cancelled and thay are BRINGING BACK HAL JORDAN. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Why oh why can't a SINGLE, SOLITARY CHARACTER in comics STAY DEAD?!?!?! Yeah, Hal was the coolest GL, but the fact that DC had the balls to turn him looney and then have his best friend kill him with an arrow was uber dramatic. Heaven forfend they stick to their guns about an editorial decision.

Rocketboy
04-29-2004, 09:06 PM
New Comics(4/20/04)
Punisher. Ennis kicks it hardcore. My fave comic on the racks right now ( and not just because of the movie). The MAX imprint fits Frank like a glove. And Micro's back, which is cool. Lots of cussing and violence.Agreed, but I doubt Micro will be around much longer, considering the tone of the series.

Besides Punisher #5, I picked up
Star Wars Republic #64 - one hell of a confusing and boring story. Flashback in a flashback in a flashback in a flashback in a... in other words it was like the backwards episode of Seinfeld, but terrible. We get a little insight into Palpatine and that's it.

Deoxyribonucleic
04-30-2004, 12:15 AM
I'm still continuing getting "Empire" and "Star Wars Tales" and some one shots that come out now and again but I steer clear of "republic" and "clone wars" stuff because of disinterest.

I love star wars tales because of its humor...the story relating to the breakfast club was fantastic to say the least in the latest issue.

I also bought the reprinting of Fathom graphic novel...god I love love love Michael Turner's art. I would love to see him do some art for dark horse, Star Wars titles in particular!!

Dr Zoltar
04-30-2004, 01:09 AM
New Comics(4/20/04)
Gotham Knights. Another banger issue. I like how the villains get as much "screentime" as Bats. And that Joker is certifiable ain't he? WOW! (circle finger around ear...)

Superman. JIM LEE!!!! JIM LEEE!!!!! And a confusing "Hey we'll tell you the ending before the beginning" setup where Lois is...gone ( and Clark is Catholic apparently.)

Batman. Thank goodness a decent non Azzarello story line with Penguin AND Scarecrow. But I miss Loeb and Lee. ( sniffle)

JLA. If Claremont and Byrne are TRYING to do retro, then this kitsch is allright. But what I think is happening is these two legendary titans are both pulling on opposite ends of the creative rope and were getting mediocrity right down the center. And the exclamation points on the covers make me want to slap...somebody.

Green Lantern. I just found out that after this stroy arc is done, the book gets cancelled and thay are BRINGING BACK HAL JORDAN. NOOOOOOOOO!!!! Why oh why can't a SINGLE, SOLITARY CHARACTER in comics STAY DEAD?!?!?! Yeah, Hal was the coolest GL, but the fact that DC had the balls to turn him looney and then have his best friend kill him with an arrow was uber dramatic. Heaven forfend they stick to their guns about an editorial decision.
Good to read some reviews of something else other than Marvel titles (the only Marvel title I read is Punisher). DC definately has been doing some top notch stuff: Superman/Batman, Gotham Knights, the newest Superman story line, HERO, JSA, The Legion...

And then they balance it out with crap like the Claremont JLA storyline and Green Lantern. The recent JLA stories have been terrible. And I can't believe DC is bringing Hal Jordan back at GL. The Kyle story in space was pretty boring, but to bring back Hal they must be desperate. Looks like I may be dropping these two titles soon.

El Chuxter
04-30-2004, 12:12 PM
I wouldn't mind bringing back Hal. . . if DC would finally get the nerve to do an Ultimate-type series. Hal and Guy and Jon and Kilowog Ch'p and Gnort and Alan and all the gang hanging out. They could even throw in Kyle as the stupid sidekick. Kyle sucks.

jjreason
05-02-2004, 11:04 PM
Lots today, came pretty close to cleaning out the whole bin. Here's the breakdown:

MK Spidey #1
1602 #8
Secret War #1 (luckily found a copy at an out of town store!)
Silver Surfer #'s 4 and 5
Amazing Spidey #506
Spectacular Spidey #12
DD #59
FF #512
MK FF #2
Hulk #'s 69, 70 and 71
Uncanny #443
New X-Men #156
Wolverine #'s 13 and 14
Batman #625 and 626
GI Joe: Reloaded #1 and 2

Lots to catch up on.

Dr Zoltar
05-03-2004, 04:37 PM
What is "Secret War #1" about? Is it any relation to the Secret War series that came out by Marvel in the 1980's?

jjreason
05-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Secret War - I believe - is a book about SHIELD. I haven't read it yet, it's a 5 issue limited series by BM Bendis. Eternal Padawan was gushing over it, so I picked it up when I finally found a copy. I'm usually a sucker for most things Bendis anyhow.

I don't believe it has anything to do with the Beyonder!

Anyone getting the Frank Miller Robocop story? I just realized that was happening and it's already up to issue 5!!!! Nice comic shop I go to. :rolleyes:

Reefer Shark
05-05-2004, 01:03 PM
The Frank Miller Robocop is just awesome!! A great, over-the-top action fest. Lot's of crazy violence, and a very skewed vision of the future.

The artwork is great too. Highly detailed, reminds me of Geoff Darrows artwork.

I would highly suggest it if you like that kind of stuff. I love it! :D

jjreason
05-06-2004, 10:51 AM
I had a look at the cover, it looks like he might have someone else finishing the art this time - Frank's usually QUITE heavy with the black ink on his own stuff. I'm really hoping I'll be able to find the first few issues of this series.

Reefer Shark
05-06-2004, 09:04 PM
I had a look at the cover, it looks like he might have someone else finishing the art this time - Frank's usually QUITE heavy with the black ink on his own stuff.Frank's only doing covers and writing the series. "Sequential adaptation" by Steven Grant... whatever that means :confused: . The interiors are done by Juan Jose Ryp. I had never seen his stuff before this series, I dig it. Like I said before = very detailed stuff.

Which cover did ya see jjreason? For some reason, Avatar press is stuck in the early 90's with the whole alternate cover thing. There's actually 3 different covers for each issue (It seems like they do this for every title):

Frank Miller
Juan Jose Ryp
Juan Jose Ryp wraparound cover

I try to go for the wraparound covers myself, I think they look the best. Here's a nice pic of one of the wraparound covers:
http://www.avatarpress.com/robocop/robo2wrap.jpg

Oh yeah... this weeks buys for me:

Thor 78
Firestorm 1
Thanos 10
Ultimates TPB 2

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-06-2004, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Spidey 58- HOLY CRAP!!!! This was a FANTASTIC issue!!! I laughed, i cried and I grinned!! The fight at the airport was great and having him jump from plane to plane was sweet. That one frame where they showed Spidey dressed in all those clothes was hilarious and when he got home to Gwen pointing a gun to his head, i nearly crapped my pants. I can't wait to see how this works out for Peter. He just can't seem to have a good day!! :D

kool-aid killer
05-07-2004, 11:18 AM
I picked up the third issue of Transformers Armada More Than Meets the Eye yesterday. With that the Armada series is completed. Im hoping that the next one is a Beast Wars orientated series of comics.

BlueSnags
05-08-2004, 02:30 AM
I just read Uncanny X-Men 444 (Claremont's return to the title). Wasn't too impressed.

The characters (esp Bishop, who I have never liked) are all shallow
Claremont's new villians have all sucked (The Neo, anyone?)

What'd you guys think?

BlueSnags
05-08-2004, 02:33 AM
I just read Uncanny X-Men 444 (Claremont's return to the title). Wasn't too impressed.

The heroes (especially Bishop, who I have never liked) seem to be lacking personality.
Claremont has created a team of new villians...the only problem is, his more recent villians have all sucked (The Neo, anyone?). Maybe bring back one of the classics (Mr Sinister...Apocalypse...Sabretooth)

What'd you guys think?

Deoxyribonucleic
05-08-2004, 11:46 AM
anyone pick up or see Jim Lee's new hardcover book...it's a history of all things jim lee.

it's got some wonderful color artwork in there, I'm pretty impressed. I myself didn't buy it yet but my friend did and it's definitely worth it.

dr_evazan22
05-09-2004, 05:06 PM
Got Ult Spidey last night and read it. Looking forward to seeing how this works out with Gwen. I'll tell ya, Petey sure can't keep his secret in that Ult universe!

jjreason
05-22-2004, 09:36 AM
I got Punisher (Marvel Max) 1 and 2, as well as New X-Men: Mutant Academy #1 and Excalibur #1. The Punisher books I liked, though I've heard this story before - every time I read the title. I won't be keeping up with it. The X-Men books I haven't read yet as I'm waiting until I've finished last months books (the bridge issues of New and Uncanny) before I read all of May's X-books.

dr_evazan22
05-23-2004, 03:22 AM
I got the latest ish of SW Empire the other day. In it Vader was reminded of Naboo and Padme, and also of wiping out a city on Falleen (as heard about in "Shadows Of The Empire"). And he basically was feeling pain or regret about how the Padme thing went.

My question is: How many more times are we going to get stories like this? They're all right every now and then, but not all the time, and that's how it seems like their coming out now.

This is my 1138th post :)

Rocketboy
05-26-2004, 11:31 PM
This week's load (and the first in 3 weeks):

The Punisher #6 - great conclusion to the first story arc. As evident in the last page, Ennis will pull no punches with this series.
NYX #4 - FINALLY! It was only like 4 or 5 months late! We finally find out what happened to Kiden during her absence.

Empire #20 - Seriously thinking about giving up this title. The stories have been pretty subpar, and oooooh, it's another Leia story this month! :rolleyes:
Give me some Han & Chewie, Luke, or the droids - not Leia or some new lame character created for a story.

Astonishing X-Men #1 - After years of not buying any X-title, I picked this up to see if it was a decent jumping back on point (and see what the hype was all about). There are a few little confusing things, but it's a good start up. I may try it for the next few months and see how it goes. But if I see that I'll need to buy every damn X-title to know what is going on, like in the past, then I'm gone.

Reefer Shark
05-26-2004, 11:52 PM
Yeah... I fliped through that new ish of Empire, and ended up passing on it for the same reasons you stated. Although I did really like that recent story with the Amin (SP?).

Books I picked up today:

Thor 79: The end of the "Gods and Men" story. Can't wait to read this, Thor is one of my favorite current series.

Astonishing X-Men 1: I don't read very many X-books these days, but the artwork looked really nice so I decided to give it a try.

Silver Surfer 9: "Revelation part 3"... This series has been a little boring so far, I may be giving it up after the current storyline is done.

Conan 4: Another one of my favorite current series. Conan finally gets to see Hyperborea. Gonna read this one after I finish this post!

Not new releases, but I also picked up Weapon-X 23 & 24. Not one of my usual books, but it looked interesting for some reason..

Dr Zoltar
05-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Conan 4: Another one of my favorite current series. Conan finally gets to see Hyperborea. Gonna read this one after I finish this.
Totally agree with you on this. I'm so happy to see this series stick to the books. And the artwork is supurb! It's worth picking up issue #0 if you can find it.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Just picked up: Ultimate Spidey 58, Hulk 72 and Hellboy TPB #3 "The Chained Coffin & others."

I'm really interested to see how Peter deals with Gwen finding out about his alter ego.

I was also going to get "Astonishing X-men #1" but i talked to the dude at the shop and he said that it picks up after the "new x-men" run from a while ago and it would be helpful to have read that one. After seeing that the NXM run was like 40 odd issues, i decided to cancel that.

I did put myself down for "X-Men: the End" which is due out in Aug. I can't wait to see that!!! :D

Reefer Shark
05-27-2004, 07:32 PM
Totally agree with you on this. I'm so happy to see this series stick to the books. And the artwork is supurb! It's worth picking up issue #0 if you can find it.
I was lucky enough to score issue 0 when it came out. Great book, it's a nice little prelude to the series!

I was also going to get "Astonishing X-men #1" but i talked to the dude at the shop and he said that it picks up after the "new x-men" run from a while ago and it would be helpful to have read that one. After seeing that the NXM run was like 40 odd issues, i decided to cancel that.
Hey JMG,
Astonishing X-Men wasn't bad. I didn't read the New X-Men stuff, and I didn't have any problems understanding what was going on. ...although nothing much really happened in this 1st ish, typical "lets make a team" stuff. It's a setup issue for sure.

jjreason
05-31-2004, 03:47 PM
I would agree, it's definitely a setup. The main point was re-introducing Kitty Pryde to the series as she hasn't been around for some time. I think they needed to add a key character as the rest of the mainstays are spread throughout the numerous monthly X-books under the "Reloaded" banner. Personally I like her, and I liked the book. I don't think it's necessary to have read the previous couple of years of X-books to jump on here. (Besides, I summarized those storylines for y'all in the X-Men thread! Go have a peek.)

I would recommend Astonishing #1 as a good read and a very sound investment. Cassaday is one of the best artists in comics, and the hype surrounding Joss Whedon's involvement in the X-family will keep this title hot for his entire 12 issue run. Unless it winds up sucking, that is.

jjreason
07-07-2004, 02:20 PM
A big load of new issues this week - but none from this week, if you catch my drift (the delivery of new issues has been delayed until Thursday, it happens from time to time living on an island). A breakdown of the haul:

Astonishing X-Men 1 (yes, another copy - that's 4 so far) and 2
Uncanny X-Men 444,445
X-Men 157,158
X-Men Unlimited 2,3
Amazing Spidey 507,508,509
Hulk 72,73
FF 513,514
Batman 627,628,629
Daredevil 60,61
Spectacular Spidey 13,14,15,16
Wolverine 15,16

The bill was too high. I'm going to have to slash my list, the cash outlay for SW toys right now and for the next year and a half is going to be ridiculous so I won't be able to afford everything. :cry: I know, I know.. "boo hoo, poor jj, can't get all his siwwy comics :rolleyes:" :D

JON9000
07-11-2004, 06:20 PM
Holy smokes look at this collection. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=35752&item=2255305647&rd=1

jjreason
07-12-2004, 10:44 AM
I know, holy smokes! No matter what your financial situation I challenge anyone who loves comics NOT to try and start "crunching the numbers" to see how they might possibly come up with the dough. I know I did for about 4.5 seconds..... "now if I could sell the house for...." :D :D :D

In all seriousness though, that would be the way to do it. Buy it all at once, start a business for tax purposes and try to shill the bill with sales of the books you didn't need. I don't care about DC at all, so those key GA books would take really big bite out of the expenditure, I wager the person who makes the buy will generate a tidy profit off these (provided they go for around that 250,000 buy it now price).

kool-aid killer
07-12-2004, 01:21 PM
Okay guys, here is my lone comic book purchase of the month: the Transformers summer special from Dreamwave. Basically four short stories from various lines (G1, Energon, RiD, and Beast Wars) packed into the book. I really liked the Beast Wars and G1 bits. Energon was alright but RiD left a sour taste in my mouth. I see they are runnning a competition to see what line will get a series between RiD and Beast Wars and im hoping it will be Beast Wars. If so its a definite pick up by me. Its a little too late for me to vote now so im hoping other Transfans made the right choice.

Rocketboy
07-14-2004, 11:05 PM
This week's buys include:
The Punisher #9 - Wow issue 9 already! Seems like just yesterday that Frank went to the Max impint. The first few issues if the current storyline weren't holding my interest so much, but the story keeps getting better and better.
Marvel Knights Spider-man #4 - Good way to wrap up the current story (without totally wrapping it up) and a cool cliffhanger or 2 (or 3).
Powerless #1 - Came out last week, but I picked it up this week for something new and interesting. I like the idea of this - what would the Marvel universe be like if nobody had superpowers? Even though it focuses on Peter Parker, Matt Murdock, and Logan, there are tons of really neat cameos.

kool-aid killer
08-05-2004, 02:08 PM
I just picked up Dreamwaves Transformers War Within Volume 1 trade paperback comic book today. I believe it contains all six issues of the first War Within comic run. I like it so far, though i have yet to read all of it. What i really like about it is seeing the Autobots and Decepticons pre G1 robot and vehicle modes. The story basically covers Prime being given the Matrix and the early struggles of the Autobots against the Decepticons. Hopefully Dreamwave issues more trade paperbacks of the other Transformers lines, much cheaper to get in this form as opposed to the single issues.

El Chuxter
08-05-2004, 02:11 PM
That book is already out of print, surprisingly enough (though from the number of copies around, you'd never know it).

I particularly enjoyed this series because the writing by Simon Furman blows away anything else Dreamwave has done. The second series has a more confusing storyline, also by Furman, and features art by one of the all-time great Transformers artists, Andrew Wildman (whose style, as it turns out, doesn't lend itself all that well to painted comics).

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-31-2004, 10:50 PM
I'm finally back at school, which means that i have months of comics to catch up on. I have read a bit and here is my brief synopsis: WILL CONTAIN SPOILERS

ghostbusters #2- This series is really great, but i wish that they would HURRY UP ON GETTING THE ISSUES OUT!!!! It's interestnig they're poking into the past of the Busters. Should be interesting to see where this story goes.

Ult spidey- Carnage arc- holy bajesus, The end of Gwen Stacy?!? I totally didn't see her end coming at all!!!!! I had to reread the incident and then the following issue ot confirm her death. That was just nuts!! totally caught me off guard!!

More to come as i read. :crazed:

El Chuxter
09-01-2004, 12:00 PM
So they put Carnage in the Ultimate Spider-Man continuity? I've been thinking about checking out all these Ultimate titles, but just decided against it if they'll put that pig terd there.

Next up in Ultimate X-Men: Ultimate X-Force featuring Dazzler, Shatterstar, Feral, Boom Boom, and Whizkid!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-01-2004, 12:14 PM
chux- nah, i HIGHLY suggset you pick up the Ult Spidey comics. Carnage is done in a VERY different style than what you'd commonly think of. It's very excellent. Give it a shot, my friend. It might help you when you go on Jeopardy! :D

Hulk 71-76- Alright, i used to be a HUGE fan of Jones and all his craziness but these issues are just making me scratch my head. The issues with Iron Man were kinda meh and this random encounter with the Leader was good, but kinda ilke, "Where the hell did that come from?" The whole thing from Betty at the end where she calls bruce a twisted freak or whatever left me hearbroken!!! Poor Bruce, he should just snap them all over Hulk's knee and shut them up!! :crazed:

cheers!!

jjreason
09-03-2004, 06:37 PM
Made my last big buy of new comics for awhile today, they'd been sitting in the shop long enough. Here's what I got:

Astro City Special 1
Planetary 20
FF - latest 3 issues
Hulk 74-76
Amazing 510, 511
Uncanny - 2 issues
X-Men - 2 issues
Astonishing 3
X-Men Unlimited 4
Wolverine 13-17
Daredevil 60-62
Spectacular Spidey - latest 3 issues
Batman 630 and 631

I've (really this time) cancelled everything except for Amazing Spidey, Uncanny and Astonishing X-Men, Hulk, Planetary and Astro City. The last 2 books don't even come out regularly, which means I'm down to 4 monthly titles thanks to all this SW stuff coming out. Tough to keep up with everything.

Beast
09-03-2004, 06:55 PM
Agreed, with JMG. Ultimate Spidey is done great, and it totally makes the lame 616 character of Carnage into an intresting character. My suggestion, hit Barnes & Noble, they have a huge 1,000 page hardcover for $39.96 that has the first 40 issues. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

kool-aid killer
09-09-2004, 02:06 PM
A few weeks ago i picked up the Transformers G1 volume 2 trade paperback titled War and Peace. I liked the story and enjoyed seeing what Slag did to the bot who stuck a gun in his face. Then yesterday i picked up issues 4 and 5 of the ongoing G1 series and will probably get the sixth issue (which finishes the story arc) in a week or so. Im hoping Dreamwave doesnt put the ongoing in trade paperback for a while, i will be kicking my can if they do. Also am debating whether to get the preorder on Amazon for the More Than Meets the Eye paperback, probably should though because i missed out on issues 2 and 3.

El Chuxter
09-09-2004, 03:06 PM
Okay, is the ongoing TF book making any damn sense yet? When it started, my exact words to a friend were, "They're either setting up an epic to dwarf the last 24 issues of the Marvel run, or they're going to fall flat on their face in a pile of crap." With the tiny amount of sense it's making so far, I'm leaning toward the second.

kool-aid killer
09-10-2004, 01:20 PM
From what ive read its not as good as War and Peace was. Sunstorms origin and goals arent really spelled out too well, we just hear him speak some "chosen one" line and start fighting. I think once Megatron gets involved it will improve.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-14-2004, 11:35 PM
Well, i got a slew of stuff today thanks to an overage check from Ohio U. I got:

Walking Dead 1-10 (1-6 TPB and then 7-10 single issues)
-This is my first time picking up the series and so far i'm enjoying it very much. Very sly story and the zombies look terrific.
X-Men the End #3- I'm just waiting for things to happen on this one. It's like they're spending too much time with the characters and what they're doing now, though i do like Jubilee being a director of Nightcrawlers films. I always figured that useless yellow coated brat was good for something. hehehehehe :D
Dark Knight returns #3- Now, i got 1 and 2 and i had figured, after months of waiting, that was it, but to my surprise, i found out a few weeks ago that there was a #3; holy bajesus!! this was news to me and i felt like a complete putz. I'm going to reread #1 and #2 before i get into #3 though.
ult Spidey #65- I was semi let down by this issue. I had figured that Peter would beat himself up over Gwen, but i thought that there was a prime moment for some character development with Flash, but we just got some info about him liking Gwen. I did however, LOVE peter's rant about evil people and whatnot; that was really good stuff.
Astonishing X-men #4- I'm waiting for my 1 & 3 to arrive int he mail so i can just read all 4 issues straight through. I put my faith in JJB that the series was worth picking up, so if it isn't, you owe me some $$ dude!!
Marvel Age Hulk #1- have yet to read, but as it's a Hulk title, i'm looking forward to it.
Cheers!! :D

greengoblin3825
09-16-2004, 02:24 AM
Did anyone pick Identity Crisis #4 it's sold out here, also did anything spectacular in it if so p.m me to spill all the details

jjreason
11-13-2004, 04:41 PM
New for me this week:

Uncanny X-Men 449, 450, 451, 452 - is this book weekly??????
Astonishing 5,6
Amazing Spidey 512, 513
Identity Crisis 2
Guide to Astro City 1 shot (9.95 Canadian cover price!!!!!!!!! :cry: )
Planetary 21
Secret War 3
Metal Gear Solid 1,2

Thinking of jumping back on Avengers for a few books here to see how Bendis plays out this scenario, apparently Wolverine and Spidey are coming on board. Also planning on filling in Identity Crisis as I find the issues I'm missing.

jjreason
02-17-2005, 04:24 PM
Hey again, a resurrection post for this seemingly dead thread.

New for me this week:

Uncanny X-Men 454, 455
Astonishing X-Men 7,8
Amazing Spider-Man 514,515
Hulk 77,78 (welcome back Peter David)
New Avengers 2,3
New Iron Man 2
Planetary 22

Haven't read any yet. Anyone else still buying comics, or is the market down turn reflected in the forum?

El Chuxter
02-17-2005, 04:39 PM
I didn't go in for so long, the owner of the store pulled all my comics and put them back in stock. :( But last week I went in, and he pulled them all back. He's cool like that. :)

I'm still reading Star Wars, GIJoe, and Astonishing X-Men. I've been checking out the GL: Rebirth series and, on the recommendation of the store proprietor (who has yet to steer me wrong) picked up X23 1-2 (but I've not read 'em yet). Seeing your mention of Peter David makes me think I'll be going back to Hulk soon. . . .

Rocketboy
02-17-2005, 06:30 PM
I still read some - but I'm going to start weeding probably 4 -5 out in the next month or two.
The Punisher - always a must read for me.
Spider-man (Marvel Knights) - The big 12 part story has been really good, but once it's done, I think I am too.
Astonishing X-Men - I'll drop this one after Whedon's run. Been a great story so far though.
Lore - Intially picked this one up because of the art of Ashley Wood (his artwork blows me away), and I ended up really liking the story. It's like half comic book, half regular book.
Star Wars Tales - Not crazy about the new format (wasn't crazy about the last year or so either), so I think I may be done with it.
Star Wars Republic - So far it's been pretty good. I mainly started reading it to follow the Clone Wars. I'll stick with it for a while and see what happens after ROTS.
Star Wars Empire - Pretty disappointing overall. It's had it's moments, but I'm probably dropping this one also.
X23 - Picked it up out of curiosity, becuase I was really enjoying NYX (can't wait until July when they finally finish NYX!). Nothing special - not sure if I'll read it all.

Reefer Shark
02-17-2005, 08:36 PM
I still make semi-regular trips to the comic shop. I've been following Star Wars Republic, Wolverine, and Conan since the first issues. I pick up other random books too, usually Dark Horse and Marvel stuff.

I also pick up quite a few trade paperbacks. In really prefer to read them in that format over single monthly issues.

Oh yeah! I almost forgot to say how happy I was to walk in the comic shop, and see a all-new first issue of a GrimJack series staring me in the face!!! Done by Ostrander and Truman to boot!!! I was a huge fan of the original series, especially the Flint Henry issues.

jjreason
05-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Wow, no posts in weeks! Well, I cleared out the old bin today and here's what was in there (complete with cobwebs on a couple of issues :D ):

Secret War 4
Black Panther 1
Superme Power 16
New Avengers 4,5
Amazing Spidey 517, 518, 519
Hulk 79, 80
Astonishing X-Men 9
Uncanny X-Men 456, 457, 458

Anyone else still buying and/or reading?

Bel-Cam Jos
05-07-2005, 09:19 AM
Wow, no posts in weeks! Well, I cleared out the old bin today and here's what was in there (complete with cobwebs on a couple of issues :D ):

Anyone else still buying and/or reading?
Well, as I've said many times before, I gave up comics a while back, but every Free Comic Book Day reminds me of how much fun it was. BTW, today is FCBC, and there's a ROTS Star Wars comic! So I plan to buy no comics today (well, maybe a couple others :greedy: ) and yet still get comics today. Moowahhahahahahaha! :ermm:

JetsAndHeels
05-07-2005, 10:38 AM
My purchases for last week and this week:

Star Wars:Revenge of the Sith #'s 1-4
Superman #'s 215 and 216
Adventures of Superman # 639
Lex Luthor:Man of Steel # 3

Bel-Cam Jos
05-08-2005, 09:17 AM
Well, as I've said many times before, I gave up comics a while back, but every Free Comic Book Day reminds me of how much fun it was. BTW, today is FCBD, and there's a ROTS Star Wars comic! So I plan to buy no comics today (well, maybe a couple others :greedy: ) and yet still get comics today. Moowahhahahahahaha! :ermm:Denied! By the time I got to the shop, he was out of the ROTS comic (in fact, the standard cliche' was true for me: the guy who left just as I was entering the shop got the last copy :mad: ). So I ended up with the FCBD little white figurine. Oh well.

Reefer Shark
05-08-2005, 10:31 AM
Aw man.... I forgot about FCBD.. Now I'll probably have to pay for that free ROTS comic. :cry:

Oh well..

Anybody else here reading Shanna the She Devil (by Frank Cho)? I picked up the first few issues on a whim, and I'm glad I did! That's one of the most entertaining books I've read in a long time.

kool-aid killer
05-08-2005, 10:50 PM
My lil bro managed to pick up the free Star Wars Clone Wars comic handed out yesterday, along with a few others. I havent picked anything up for myself in quite some time, i usually just buy the sibling Fantastic Four comics every month.

Joshkj
05-10-2005, 06:05 PM
I picked up all 4 ROTS comics the past coouple of weeks...AT VONS!!!

JetsAndHeels
05-12-2005, 03:00 PM
Picked up today, 5/12:

Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith #4
Star Wars: General Grevious #2
Action Comics # 827

jjreason
07-04-2005, 12:01 AM
July 3rd pickups:

Incredible Hulk 81, 82
Amazing Spider-Man 520, 521
House of M 1,2
Fantastic Four 527 (variant addition, according to the cover :rolleyes: , that's all they had in stock)
Planetary 23
Supreme Power 17
Astro City: The Dark Age 1
Astonishing X-Men 10
New Avengers 6

All I've read so far was the end of Tempis Fugit in Hulk. I didn't think it was too bad, I'm looking forward to the prospects of Peter David being back on the book.

El Chuxter
07-05-2005, 12:14 PM
Not a full list of my new acquisitions, but I got GIJoe: America's Elite #0 and #1. The previous regular series (A Real American Hero) was slipping hard, and when they @#$%ing killed Lady Jaye :eek::cry: I swore to give the new series one issue.

But it had been a while since I'd stopped in, and the store owner had pulled both #0 and #1. He's cool, so I picked them both up.

#0 is pretty mediocre, but necessary reading for #1.

But #1. . . Holy crap!! I highly recommend this. Totally new approach using the same characters, and it will shock and awe you.

YOOOOOOO JOOOOOOOOOE!!!

Rocketboy
07-05-2005, 02:52 PM
Forgot about this thread.
Last week, I picked up:

Punisher #22 - Ennis writes great story after great story.

Punisher: The Cell - Not sure why it wasn't a 2 parter in the regular series, but still a darn fine story. The end was bit confusing though - I wonder if it was meant to tie into The Punisher: The End from a year or so ago.

Star Wars Republic #76 - Hoping they wrap up this arc soon. It takes place 3 weeks before Sith, and with what Kenobi said in the movie, we know how the battle ends. They should have had this all wrapped up around the time the movie came out.

Rocketboy
07-13-2005, 09:20 PM
Punisher #23 - Punisher gets some action (the other kind)!

NYX #6 - Never thought this would come out. Seems like it's a year late. Heck, it might be.

Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder #1 - Frank Miller and Jim Lee on Batman? I had to give it a shot. And it ain't too bad.

JetsAndHeels
07-13-2005, 11:00 PM
Punisher: The Cell - Not sure why it wasn't a 2 parter in the regular series, but still a darn fine story. The end was bit confusing though - I wonder if it was meant to tie into The Punisher: The End from a year or so ago.

I read the Punisher too, and I really enjoyed The Cell. I agree with you about the ending. I would have liked to have seen a second issue to follow up on things a bit

JetsAndHeels
07-14-2005, 12:23 PM
Today I picked up Action Comics #829 (sacrifice part 2)

should be a good read

jjreason
10-01-2005, 07:03 PM
New Comics picked up October 1st:

All Star Batman and Robin 1,2
Supreme Power 18
Giant Size X-Men 3
Astonishing X-Men 11,12
Astro City Dark Age 2,3
Amazing Spidey 522,523
Hulk 83,84,85,86
Uncanny X-Men 462,463,464

17 comics, nearly $85 (CDN) spent, including the bags and boards. This hobby is bloody expensive, which explains perfectly why it's dying a slow death. Sad.

Rocketboy
10-01-2005, 10:59 PM
I stopped at the comic shop the other day for the first time in a few weeks and suprisingly all I picked up was:
The Punisher #25
Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder #2 (Is this an ongoing or a mini?)

It seems like every time I cut a title (or one finishes) another one, like Batman and Robin, another pops up and grabs my attention.

jjreason
10-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Batman and Robin The Boy Wonder #2 (Is this an ongoing or a mini?).

I thought I had read it was going to be 12 issues - but that's far from a definite answer.

Ji'dai
08-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Does someone know of a reputable yet inexpensive online shop that sells comic bags and backer boards?

A used bookstore here sells 100 bags for $7 but I thought there might be a better deal to be had online.

I'm looking for Silver Age bags, 7-1/8" x 10-1/2" with a 1-1/2" flap. I think I've always used 3-Mil. polyethylene rather than polypropylene bags. Mylar is too expensive.

Bel-Cam Jos
08-08-2008, 03:18 PM
Does someone know of a reputable yet inexpensive online shop that sells comic bags and backer boards?

A used bookstore here sells 100 bags for $7 but I thought there might be a better deal to be had online.Well, from what I've seen, your $.70 each price seems pretty good. I'll usually noticed the buck-a-piece amount.

Ji'dai
08-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Well, I looked all over the 'net for a better deal, but I think Bel-Cam is right. So I ended up getting 400 bags at the comic shop this morning for under $29. They are the 3-mil polyethylene bags in the Silver Age-size I bought so many years ago.

This shop had the 24-pt backer boards, 100 count for $10, but I think I'm going to buy the scrapbook cardstock I saw in Wal-Mart's back-to-school section. They have a 150-count bundle of white, acid-free 110-pound cardstock for $5.77. It's 8-1/2" x 11", but I can cut it down with my paper cutter. It's probably not as thick as the comic boards though.

sith_killer_99
08-09-2008, 10:27 AM
This week I bought:

Trinity #10
Final Crisis #3

:D

Bel-Cam Jos
12-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Bought some older back issues from online:
Captain America #241 (Punisher appearance)
Web of Spiderman #100
Peter Parker #100 (there was a time when I wanted to have all the Marvel #100 issues, which I may apparently still give a try)

I miss the "simpler" storylines sometimes, with characters narrating to themselves, very little blood, finished by page 22... :(

sith_killer_99
12-13-2008, 04:27 PM
Booster Gold #15
Final Crisis #5 of 7
Final Crisis: Revelations #4 of 5
Green Lantern Corps #31
Trinity #28

I am also currently following:
Marvel Zombies 3
Terra
Superman/Supergirl Maelstrom
JSA: One World, Under Gog
Superman: New Krypton
Tangent: Superman's Reign
Green Lantern

Major story arcs include Final Crisis and Blackest Night. I didn't get into the Batman RIP stuff, especially since Bruce Wayne's future will be revealed in Final Crisis.

I also just finished "Countdown to Final Crisis" I got the TPB's.

sith_killer_99
12-13-2008, 04:42 PM
I miss the "simpler" storylines sometimes, with characters narrating to themselves, very little blood, finished by page 22...

Comics certainly have long drawn out major story arcs lately. More importantly they have a really dark overtone. Marvel seems to be the worst for major stories lately, sure DC has the same issue, but they are not as big. Honestly, I am afraid to jump into Marvel right now, Ultimate, Ultimatum, Secret Wars, Invasion....Marvel makes my head spins, and they seem to cross every title. Grrrr...that's gotta frustrate fans.

DC keeps it simple, story lines cross over much less. Final Crisis doesn't interfere with Trinity, Trinity doesn't interfere with One World, etc.

jjreason
12-14-2008, 11:06 PM
A couple that you mentioned, SK, don't interfere with each other at Marvel, either. The "Ultimate" universe is completely separate from the 616 (regular) one. The only big crossover right now is Dark Reign, which stems directly out of the recently-ended Secret Invasion (which tailed on World War Hulk, which was born out of the Civil War which was spawned by the House of M which wouldn't have occurred without the 2nd Secret War - copy?).

Never mind. Marvel does have too many big mega crossovers. :head spinning:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-18-2008, 01:22 AM
Been a few months since my last purchase.

Today I picked up:

Walking Dead 54-56
Ult. spidey annual #3 and #127
Hulk- 7-8
Ult. X-men/ UFF annual #1 (which I thought was just Ult X-men only, guess i'll sell that back in a few weeks).

I also canceled my issues of the Incredible Hercules as it's still just Herc. I thought it'd go back to Hulk, but I guess not. Still don't know why Hulk morphed into that after WWH ended.

They're holding the new Ghostbusters issues #2 and #3 in my box as they were out of #1. I think my folks snagged #1 for me tonight in dayton, so i'll grab the other two tomorrow.

I was also told that Ultimate X-Men is ending after issue #100. :shocked: I guess it's for the best. I'm still waiting for #98, which I guess is REALLY late.

sith_killer_99
12-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Well today I bought:

Trinity #29
Supergirl #36
Booster Gold #15 (for some reason it didn't ship last week)
Tangent: Superman's Reign #10 (of 12)

Still looking for Terra #4 of 4, they were sold out.

I also picked up Angel and The Dresden Files for my wife.

Not much going on next week, probably just Trinity and Superman/Supergirl: Maelstrom.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-20-2008, 09:54 AM
Won a decent combined eBay deal on the first appearance of one of my favorite (and fairly unknown) villains, the Taskmaster, in Avengers #195 and 196. Have yet to read them, but that won't be long. George Perez is an underrated artist, IMHO, with an active style that's still well-detailed and crisp.

sith_killer_99
12-20-2008, 02:25 PM
George Perez is an underrated artist, IMHO, with an active style that's still well-detailed and crisp.

Underrated?!?!

Perez was the major player in the DC "Crisis of Infinite Earths" and is considered a god among men by many DC fans.:yes:

figrin bran
12-20-2008, 09:08 PM
Well today I bought:

Supergirl #36
Booster Gold #15 (for some reason it didn't ship last week)
Tangent: Superman's Reign #10 (of 12)

I got those 3 along with Clone Wars #3, Buffy #20, GI Joe #0, Green Lantern Corps #31

sith_killer_99
12-20-2008, 09:22 PM
Good call on GLC #31! "Blackest Night" is going to be AWESOME!!!

Did you get "Rage of the Red Lanterns" yet?

figrin bran
12-21-2008, 01:33 AM
Good call on GLC #31! "Blackest Night" is going to be AWESOME!!!

Did you get "Rage of the Red Lanterns" yet?

Rage of the Red Lanterns was just a one shot, right? If so, I have it. I find that if I don't go to the comic store weekly or every other week, it gets hard to keep track of titles...For instance I haven't managed to get all the New Krypton titles yet.

sith_killer_99
12-21-2008, 07:25 AM
It was a "tie in" to the Final Crisis" though it was a tie in, in name only. So yes it is a one shot.

The New Krypton series is awesome! The only down side is the cross overs, though it does allow them to advance the story line weekly as opposed to drawing it out. I am up to date, so far, It did take me a while to find #3 the Adventure Comics Special featuring The Guardian.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-21-2008, 09:05 AM
Underrated?!?!

Perez was the major player in the DC "Crisis of Infinite Earths" and is considered a god among men by many DC fans.:yes:I agree with you, SK. I just don't hear his name mentioned too often with others' all-time greats (Kirby, Byrne, Adams, Wood, Ditko, Simonson, Chaykin, Miller, Romita, Lee, McFarlane, et al).

sith_killer_99
12-21-2008, 07:03 PM
I agree with you, SK. I just don't hear his name mentioned too often with others' all-time greats (Kirby, Byrne, Adams, Wood, Ditko, Simonson, Chaykin, Miller, Romita, Lee, McFarlane, et al).

You are correct, often times when you hear people mention the "greats" of the business you hear Kirby, Lee, Miller, McFarlane, etc. less so with Perez. I have always been a fan of Perez, so I suppose I am biased, his name always sticks out to me whenever it is mentioned, especially since he is connected with some of the biggest story lines in the DCU.

Another personal favorite is Alex Ross, though I am also a big fan of almost anything by Dan Jurgens and/or Brett Breeding. I guess that has a lot to do with Superman/Doomsday, Death of Superman, Return of Superman, Zero Hour, 52, Booster Gold, etc. LOL:D

OC47150
12-22-2008, 10:59 AM
CW #1 and one of the extra long CW comics.

I might have to pick up the Punisher Christmas comic. It's a stand-alone and normally pretty humorous.

Rocketboy
12-22-2008, 11:04 AM
I might have to pick up the Punisher Christmas comic. It's a stand-alone and normally pretty humorous.Its not bad*, but since its a MAX title its definitely not humorous.

*Which is a compliment since Ennis didn't write it - yeah, I'm little biased.

El Chuxter
12-22-2008, 01:00 PM
Chuck Dixon is the bestest Punisher writer ever.

<ducks shoes thrown by Rocketboy>

sith_killer_99
12-24-2008, 01:24 PM
Let's see, today I bought:

Trinity #30
Superman/Supergirl "Maelstrom" #4
Vigilante #1
Stephen King The Dark Tower "Treachery" #4

Not a very exciting week I must admit.:(

sith_killer_99
12-31-2008, 07:45 PM
Well, delivery has been pushed back to Friday this week, so no "new" comics yet, but I did pick up the first 2 (of 3) "Justice" TPB's. I burned through them pretty quickly. This is an awesome story and the art work by Alex Ross really puts it over the top! I want the last TPB, but the store was sold out, he will have a copy for me next week. :thumbsup:

figrin bran
01-05-2009, 03:01 AM
Justice Society of America #22

A great end to the Kingdom Come Supes/Gog/Magog arc. The epilogue paintings by Alex Ross are a great payoff.

sith_killer_99
01-05-2009, 12:43 PM
Agreed, JSA #22 was awesome!

I also picked up, on Friday:

Final Crisis: Secret Files
Green Lantern #36
Superman #683 (New Krypton #9!!!) awesome story!
Trinity #31

For my wife, I bought the new Staphen King, and a Farscape #1.

figrin bran
02-01-2009, 11:57 PM
JSA #23
Final Crisis #7

figrin bran
02-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Tangent Superman #12
GI Joe Origins #1