PDA

View Full Version : What is your favorite Star Wars films to collect from?

mark2d2
11-03-2003, 01:28 AM
Even though I genuinely love all the films and have greedily snapped up figures and ships from each and every one --- I have begun to realize lately that one in particular is clearly my favorite to collect from by a mile.

A NEW HOPE

I simply can't get enough toys from Episode IV. It contains my two favorite "toy" sequences. Artoo & Threepio on the Sandcrawler. And then --of course -- the Cantina. As many of you must know, I won't rest until I get my Sandcrawler and each and every Cantina alien or obscure Jawa droid is immortalized in plastic.

What makes my obsession with A New Hope even more curious --- is that I actually believe Empire Strikes Back is probably the better film. Hmmm, I guess, there just aren't enough wacky droids or aliens in Episode V for my taste. . .

Do you have a favorite film to collect? If so, which? And why that Episode? I'm really quite curious as to what everybody has to say on this. .

2-1B
11-03-2003, 01:59 AM
Good post Mark. :)
I understand what you are saying about your preference for ANH toys over ESB because it does feel like there is more variety in the first film.

Personally my favorite to collect from is Attack of the Clones. It's also my most frustrating because I'm still waiting for a good Anakin. Obi-Wan needs a decent figure, too.
I just recently got Wedding Padme, Wat Tambor, and Dannl Faytonni - all 3 of which were on my most wanted list. With Ack Med-Beq and ESPECIALLY Bail Organa on the way, I still have much to look forward to.
That and AOTC is my favorite movie in the series so that imfluences my collecting "wants" as well.

Historically speaking, I can tell you that ESB has probably been my favorite movie to collect from. There is just something about the Hoth sequences which I have always been attracted to ever since I was a kid.

As a teen and then adult as I started collecting POTF2, I kept that Hoth passion and I always went nuts for new ESB Bounty Hunters (a favorite scene of mine even as a kid - Bossk rules!) and I really enjoyed collecting the Cloud City stuff. Lando, Lobot, and Ugnaughts are quite fun and they are among my favorites.
I thought the POTF2 Bespin Luke was well done and I was reminded of my enjoyment of the vintage version with the yellow lightsaber.

Currently my 2 favorite toy/scene setups are Hoth: Bacta Luke with 2-1B and FX-7 and also Naboo: Wedding Padme and Anakin (even though the Anakin is overrated and kinda crappy in some ways).

:)

thespar
11-03-2003, 06:44 AM
i will have to say the movies i like to collect are as follow

ATOC
ROTJ
ESB
ANH
TPM

Jaff
11-03-2003, 07:20 AM
I collect every single figure from every movie. I never choose over them and base my collecting desires on a specific movie.

But to answer your question I have to say that I love the classic films mainly.

I always get giddy over ROTJ figures first. I love Jabba's Palace and Endor stuff.

My second favorite figure film to collect for is A New Hope. Like you the Cantina just drives me nuts, and some of the coolest Droids are in that film: R1-G4, and CZ are in to just name a few.

ESB will come in 3rd

TPM is my next favorite film to have figures made. There are some they haven't made yet and I am drooling for them. Like Rip Teers, the podracers, and the Nemodian Bridge crew. The characters in Episode I just look really cool

AOTC is really a dissappointing line so far. There are too many statues, and many figures just are just poorly executed. Padme Wedding, Ayy Vid, Elan Sleazbaggano, Coleman Trebor, and every Anakin. If they set the standard for these figs higher it could be a great line. I still collect all of the figures, and I admire them, but I cherish the rest of the film figures. In the end I am really excited to hear about new figures for the first 4 mentioned films. For AOTC I am moderately pleased.

stillakid
11-03-2003, 07:58 AM
I'm with Caesar in saying "Good post!" :)

And with Jaff in preference. I pretty much try to get one of everything, so my purchasing preferences wouldn't suggest a favorite, but I do tend to keep my OT stuff out on display for a longer time than any of the Prequel figures.

For storage, I separate the little guys out into their respective movies (this "line" garbage becomes moot after the bubbles come off). By far, ESB has the least unique figures of them all although it has some of the more interesting ones. But the aliens from ROTJ and ANH really bring a lot of "fun" to the hobby whereas, whenever I get a "human" it is more like I'm just filling in that gap in the collection.

bobafrett
11-03-2003, 10:34 AM
I love getting stuff from ANH, but I'm mostly OT collector. I do get stuff from TPM and AOTC, but I have passed on a lot from those two movies with the exception of 3.75 inch figures. I passed on a lot of ships unless I found them on clearance. I didn't buy the 12" Jar Jar just because I coldn't stand the character, and I'm a completist, or at least I try.

RussUAE
11-03-2003, 10:53 AM
The Phantom Menace for me.

You might think it's daft, but it's what got me back into collecting and I am safe in the knowledge that I will have every TPM figure - an unattainable goal for me for any OT films.

That and the fact that there is so much variety in that film too - we see so many different places. there are plenty of figures I would like to see made (or remade in may cases) from TPM.

After that, then it has to be ROTJ - I just love them Ewoks and Jabba's aliens.

Billy_Dee_Binks
11-03-2003, 12:00 PM
Even though I genuinely love all the films and have greedily snapped up figures and ships from each and every one --- I have begun to realize lately that one in particular is clearly my favorite to collect from by a mile.

A NEW HOPE

I simply can't get enough toys from Episode IV. It contains my two favorite "toy" sequences. Artoo & Threepio on the Sandcrawler. And then --of course -- the Cantina. As many of you must know, I won't rest until I get my Sandcrawler and each and every Cantina alien or obscure Jawa droid is immortalized in plastic.

What makes my obsession with A New Hope even more curious --- is that I actually believe Empire Strikes Back is probably the better film. Hmmm, I guess, there just aren't enough wacky droids or aliens in Episode V for my taste. . .

Do you have a favorite film to collect? If so, which? And why that Episode? I'm really quite curious as to what everybody has
to say on this. .
Wow! Thatīs EXACTLY the same thread- word by word you posted over at the Rebelscum forums.
:D
I would say both prequels right now. Especially TPM since Hasbro really doesnīt care for this one anymore. There are still lots of extras from Naboo, Tatooine and Coruscant that should be made. We also need a refresh of all the main characters.

Dark Marble
11-03-2003, 12:39 PM
You know, this is a good thread. My favorite movie is ESB, and I collect all figures no matter what movie they are from. However, thinking about it really hard, I guess that my favorite movie to collect from is ROTJ. I find that strange, because I madly collect everything from ESB no matter what, but the most interesting stuff seems to come out of Jedi. I love Jabba's palace, the ewoks, the vehicles, the characters. So far it is the most diverse IMO. :)

Kidhuman
11-03-2003, 12:47 PM
I dont have a preference. I like the aliens fromthe Cantina and Jabbas Palace. It doesnt matter to me, as long as they look cool and arent in dorky positions.

Beast
11-03-2003, 12:48 PM
Right now. I think Attack of the Clones. Just cause I love the variaty of characters that have been introduced in the prequels. The Sepratists, the Clones, the Senators. And all of Padme's costumes. But I think they really need to start doing more versions of Padme. They're is stilll a lot of her outfits that are missing. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Old Fossil
11-03-2003, 01:11 PM
Not exactly sure. I have a peculiar slant on collecting. Here's how it works:

I have 10 long glass shelves mounted on walls in my 'study.' Each shelf is themed. If a new figure comes out that doesn't fit one of those 10 themes, I probably don't buy it. Broken down shelf by shelf, the themes are:

1. EU Tatooine: Jawas, 1 Ronto, 2 Dewbacks, Sandtroopers, R5-D2, GNK droid.
2. Mos Eisley Cantina, with Bar sections running the length of the shelf.
3. A generic ROTJ shelf. Includes Jabba's Palace, some Rebels, and Endor Imperial forces, including an AT-ST.
4. Hoth Imperial forces shelf, including 2 AT-AT's.
5. A generic ANH shelf.
6. A generic ESB shelf, including a Bacta chamber mini-scene.
7. 3 TIE starfighters: Vader's, Bomber, and Interceptor.
8. 12" figures from all the films.
9. A generic AOTC and TPM shelf.
10. EU Jundland Wastes Encounter: Tusken Raider clan, 2 Banthas, and Darth Maul (from CS).

Based on that, I would have to say that my interests lean more towards planets than films. I like Tatooine-themed stuff. But in the end, if I had to pick a particular film, it would of course be ANH.

LusiferSam
11-03-2003, 01:30 PM
I collect every single figure from every movie. I never choose over them and base my collecting desires on a specific movie.

But to answer your question I have to say that I love the classic films mainly.

I always get giddy over ROTJ figures first. I love Jabba's Palace and Endor stuff.

My second favorite figure film to collect for is A New Hope. Like you the Cantina just drives me nuts, and some of the coolest Droids are in that film: R1-G4, and CZ are in to just name a few.

ESB will come in 3rd

TPM is my next favorite film to have figures made. There are some they haven't made yet and I am drooling for them. Like Rip Teers, the podracers, and the Nemodian Bridge crew. The characters in Episode I just look really cool

AOTC is really a dissappointing line so far. There are too many statues, and many figures just are just poorly executed. Padme Wedding, Ayy Vid, Elan Sleazbaggano, Coleman Trebor, and every Anakin. If they set the standard for these figs higher it could be a great line. I still collect all of the figures, and I admire them, but I cherish the rest of the film figures. In the end I am really excited to hear about new figures for the first 4 mentioned films. For AOTC I am moderately pleased.

I'm in complete agreement with you Jaff. My reasoning is bit different for SW ESB and ROTJ. Right now ROTJ is on top because of all the cool Jabba stuff Hasbro is do. But it can shift easy back to SW. As a kid I remember the ROTJ packaging more then the ESB (I'm too young to remember SW). So its fond memories driving the ROTJ side of me. But it down right hard to SW. ESB I enjoy, but not as much as SW or ROTJ. TMP, I think most of the cool stuff that will be made has been, I keep hoping. And AOTC, in the year this movie has lost its charm for me. Therefor so have its figures.

mark2d2
11-03-2003, 01:39 PM
Wow! Thatīs EXACTLY the same thread- word by word you posted over at the Rebelscum forums.
:D

BUSTED ! :sur:

What can I say? I post on both sites --- but a lot of people don't. And when I came up with this thread idea, I decided to broaden it's audience by using cut and paste. . . because I am really curious to hear what every one has to say.

PS --- My second place would have to be the Empire Strikes Back. Definitely, definitely. Bespin and Hoth are both so much fun to collect! The other three films I would say pretty much rank equally with one another.

plasticfetish
11-03-2003, 02:39 PM
Hey! Isn't this the same thread you posted over at the VanDeCamps Pork and Beans site? Man, you've gotta be more choosey. (hee.)

Oy. This is a tough one ... a goodie, but a toughie.
I get on kicks depending on what's coming out at any given time. I suppose I've been most into ROTJ, for pretty much the same reasons as everyone else. The new stuff for next year has only heightened that. Mostly, I suppose I'm scene oriented and not so much film oriented. The Jabba stuff from Jedi has a lot to offer, the Cantina stuff is the same way, and then there's other themes like imperial forces, droids (in general), Tatooine or even simply Tusken Raiders. The new Hoth figures are great ... Hoth is always good.

And that's the OT, but a lot of it crosses over to the prequel stuff ... we've gotten some great Droids and Tusken Raiders. In a lot of ways I've been equally excited about TPM and AOTC figures. There's been such a great range of aliens and alien worlds. All of the Senate stuff is really cool also. For the most part, I'd say that the OT will always be my sentimental favorite, (you can't beat getting a good figure of someone that's never been made before). But, the figures from AOTC have been like toy crack ... I say and think that I don't "need" them, but eventually I find myself giving in. I mean, they could put clone trooper armor on a popsicle stick and I'd probably go out and buy it (or at least look for it.)

Anyway, uhh ... gee, I guess ... I really don't know.

Lobito
11-03-2003, 02:53 PM
Hmmm...ANH, ROTJ, AOC, ESB and TPM, in that order...just look at all the cantina aliens in ANH!

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-03-2003, 04:32 PM
I collect all 3 3/4" figures from every movie and EU, but AOTC and ROTJ are my favorites, I guess.

Turbowars
11-04-2003, 06:13 PM
I collect them all baby! But if the EP1 and 2 fell off the face of the earth I wouldn't miss them. I love the the OT. I don't know I like a few of the movies better than the other, each one has it's moments.

Turambar
11-04-2003, 09:38 PM
The ESB figures are probably the most special to me. I really don't know the reason for this, if it's because that was the first film I was old enough to see, or because I fell in love with Boba Fett and the bounty hunters at a very young age. I also treasure them more because there are so few compared to the other movies -- not to mention a much smaller pool of characters to produce figures from. So, anyway, I really get excited when I hear about more ESB figs coming out.
After that, I dig the cantina and jabba's palace a lot, as well.

TheDarthVader
11-04-2003, 09:51 PM
This is the order for me even though I collect one of every saga/potf2/potj (1995-now) figure.

1. ANH
2. TPM
3. ROTJ
4. AOTC
5. ESB

I do not dislike the ESB figures...it is just that one of the movies had to finish last! ;)

mark2d2
11-05-2003, 05:02 AM
I collect them all baby! But if the EP1 and 2 fell off the face of the earth I wouldn't miss them. I love the the OT.

For me, it's pretty similar. It's funny. I've bought a fair amount of prequel stuff. And been real gung-ho about my purchases at the time. But somehow, these toys don't seem to have much staying power in that regard. I just don't hold them in the same esteem with OT at all. After time passes, I'm like why did I need this many battle droids?

I'm not slagging the other films either. I think it's merely that it is impossible for the new stuff to have the same power of the old stuff. The characters that were such an important and shaping part of my childhood.

Of course there are many welcome cross-overs. Any classic character like Yoda or the Sand People in their ATOC garb are figures that I am still jonesing over. And any Astro droid or protocol droid is always a must.

For Episode three I would love to see a Aqualish Senator or something. Or even better, a Hammerhead. :D