PDA

View Full Version : Jawa with Rig??

JediCole
11-03-2003, 05:27 PM
I checked out KebCo Toys' site today for their 25% off sale, then got distracted by their case preorder section. They do a great job there of letting you know what you would get if you bought a case, but some of the listings took some translating. For example, those of us who frequent SSG know exactly which Imperial Dignitary (#1 or #2) is which. And I've seen Ack-Meq Bek listed somewhere as "Cantina Alien", so I knew there was no new Mos Eisly Cantina alien on the horizon that I did not know about. However, one listing, "Jewa with Rig4" got me wondering.

It is certainly easy enough to work out that "Jewa" was probably a mistype of Jawa. But I had not been aware of any new 3.75" Jawas coming down the line. Has anyone else heard of this? And if so, what would the listing mean by "with Rig4"? Any help would be appreciated.

Beast
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Are you sure you read that correctly. Because I believe it's 'Jawa w/ R1-G4'. Which is the big black robot from the 'Purchase of the Droids'. There's a thread around here that said that he was coming with a Jawa. Dug up the thread and checked Kebco, yep they screwed up. Supposed to be 'Jawa w/ R1-G4'. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21768

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediCole
11-04-2003, 01:24 PM
Are you sure you read that correctly. Because I believe it's 'Jawa w/ R1-G4'. Which is the big black robot from the 'Purchase of the Droids'. There's a thread around here that said that he was coming with a Jawa. Dug up the thread and checked Kebco, yep they screwed up. Supposed to be 'Jawa w/ R1-G4'. :)

http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21768

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thank you JJB, you are correct. The listing simply read like RIG4 and I did not make the connection with R1-G4 (especialy given that I did not know this droid came with a Jawa! I was guessing it might come with that curious little stovepipe droid and/or the mine-sweeping dome droid. Of course if they keep making them all a little different, the "purchase of the droids" droids could provide an excuse for at least two more Jawas.

Beast
11-04-2003, 01:29 PM
I'm hoping that it's going to be a re-painted re-tooled Commtech Chip Jawa. Since I doubt they would sculpt a new Jawa up for this set. Especially since the R1 droid is big for $5.00 already. What we really need is that freaky tall Jawa from the 'Purchase of the Droids'. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediCole
11-04-2003, 07:00 PM
I agree about the tall Jawa. A bit off subject, but they need to make "Jabba's Jawa", the one with the palm frond fan from Jabba's Palace. Hopefully he will come with one of the diminutive denizens of the Palace in the future, like Yoxim.

Also, I went back to the KebCo site. The listing I saw reads "Jewa w/Rig4", so they did not even capitalize the letters. And here I was left hoping for a new figure!

KEBco
11-05-2003, 12:28 AM
I agree about the tall Jawa. A bit off subject, but they need to make "Jabba's Jawa", the one with the palm frond fan from Jabba's Palace. Hopefully he will come with one of the diminutive denizens of the Palace in the future, like Yoxim.

Also, I went back to the KebCo site. The listing I saw reads "Jewa w/Rig4", so they did not even capitalize the letters. And here I was left hoping for a new figure!

Sorry for any confusion on the names. Its just we really don't know what is going to be in a case until we open it up. The names we have listed come directly off of our Hasbro order form. As soon as we know the correct name (for sure) we correct it.

Ken

mark2d2
11-05-2003, 06:08 AM
Not to worry,Ken. After all the bizarre mistakes that have been on cardbacks over the years, it comes a no real surprise to us that they are sending you info riddled with typos as well.

PS --- Ken, do you guys have any solid idea when you expect to recieve the R1 wave?

JEDIpartner
11-05-2003, 10:31 AM
Stop pestering the man, Mark! ;)

:p

HUG

Val Da Car
11-05-2003, 10:34 AM
YEAH....don't "bother" Kebco....j/k

It is great to see them post here (even if it is rarely) I mean hey they are trying to run a business...

I wish some of the other advertisers posted in the forum....or even have their own discussion forum.

JediCole
11-06-2003, 12:28 PM
Sorry for any confusion on the names. Its just we really don't know what is going to be in a case until we open it up. The names we have listed come directly off of our Hasbro order form. As soon as we know the correct name (for sure) we correct it.

Ken

Ken,
Not a problem. I figured that was the situation. Such was the case with those lists that Wal-Mart employees used to smuggle to SSG for our enlightenment (in the dark days before Hasbro became so cooperative with SSG, and aware that their market for Star Wars was not JUST 4-11 year olds)!

Thanks for offering such great assortments and the One of Every Figure Club!

JediCole
11-06-2003, 12:55 PM
YEAH....don't "bother" Kebco....j/k

It is great to see them post here (even if it is rarely) I mean hey they are trying to run a business...

I wish some of the other advertisers posted in the forum....or even have their own discussion forum.

While I agree with you that it is great, I think I know one reason that most would not post here (apart from lack of time). I don't see it as much as I used to, but there was a time when anyone remotely associated with being a retailer (especially after-market) was subject to accusations of being a money-grubbing "scalper"! Now I will grant you that there were no shortage of such types out there, spending endless days while we were all stuck at work hitting up the shelves at every Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Target, and (back then) K-Mart, taking every single "rare" figure in sight then trying to make their fortune selling them at ten times what they paid. Having been a dealer at toy and comic shows off and on since I was 16 (1981) and pretty regularly for the last 10 years I can assure you that such "scalper" types are a dying breed. I've seen dozens of them come and go over the years and none of them got rich! But at the same time, myself and others used to have to defend other retailers (like comic shops and online retailers) for their prices on "what you can get at Wal-Mart for $6.00". The truth was that these retailers bought by the caseload while Wal-Mart (as a company) bought by the train car load, hence the considerable price disparity. But such companies as KebCo (online) or "your local comic shop" were too typically branded as unprincipled scalpers who were ruining the hobby by some posters. Such an environment was not conducive to the admission that you (a poster representing a retail company) were associated with such "scum".

Gladly those days have largely gone, but the stigma remains.

Val Da Car
11-07-2003, 10:17 AM
I hope no one misunderstood me...I really like Kebco and have ordered from them on several occasions....in fact they have been the most reliable to order from for quality of products and shipping timeliness.

KEBco
11-07-2003, 11:21 PM
KEBco Toys:

Thanks to everyone for their kind words.
We do try to read the posts a couple times a week and when time allows we will post something.
We don't post too often as some may think we are trying to advertise ourself on the boards.
We try to keep a little news on our site and as you know we do send newsletters every three to four weeks (don't want to spam ya).
We have actually talked about having some type of board on our site but then we thought about the amount of time it will take. Time better spent on shipping - at least for now.
We do want your comments and suggestions. We have a comment box on our contact page. If anyone has anything to suggest, please feel free to send it to us.

Ken

darthzirock
11-08-2003, 01:26 AM
While I agree with you that it is great, I think I know one reason that most would not post here (apart from lack of time). I don't see it as much as I used to, but there was a time when anyone remotely associated with being a retailer (especially after-market) was subject to accusations of being a money-grubbing "scalper"! Now I will grant you that there were no shortage of such types out there, spending endless days while we were all stuck at work hitting up the shelves at every Wal-Mart, Toys R Us, Target, and (back then) K-Mart, taking every single "rare" figure in sight then trying to make their fortune selling them at ten times what they paid. Having been a dealer at toy and comic shows off and on since I was 16 (1981) and pretty regularly for the last 10 years I can assure you that such "scalper" types are a dying breed. I've seen dozens of them come and go over the years and none of them got rich! But at the same time, myself and others used to have to defend other retailers (like comic shops and online retailers) for their prices on "what you can get at Wal-Mart for $6.00". The truth was that these retailers bought by the caseload while Wal-Mart (as a company) bought by the train car load, hence the considerable price disparity. But such companies as KebCo (online) or "your local comic shop" were too typically branded as unprincipled scalpers who were ruining the hobby by some posters. Such an environment was not conducive to the admission that you (a poster representing a retail company) were associated with such "scum".

Gladly those days have largely gone, but the stigma remains.

The problem was that some comic book shops would price-gouge brand new, right-out-of-the-case figures! When I lived in New Jersey (up until January 1999), we had a ton of comic shops open in the late-'80s/early-'90s. It seemed that any strip-mall that had a vacant store ended up getting a comic book store. As the collectibles market heated up, they added everything from trading-card games and model kits to action figures and Japanese-import toys.

There was one comic shop I had been dealing with since the mid-'70s, in Livingston, NJ. These people were fair, friendly, and a joy to buy from. They decided to carry the SW figures when Kenner revived them in 1995. However, the price they were getting through Heroes World Distributors was about $2 over the $4.50-$4.99 that the big-box stores were getting. However, if there was a figure I couldn't find for $5 at the boxes, I didn't mind plunking down $7 at my comics shop.

Now, another store I often visited, in Union, NJ, also sold SW figures. However, this store would mark up brand new figures anywhere from $10-$15, based on the supposed "scarcity" of the figures. I never bought figures from this guy, because I knew he was not only getting cases from Heroes World (and Diamond Distributors after HW folded), but he was scalping toys, too. He didn't open up until noon on weekdays, so he's spend his mornings driving from shopping center to shopping center and buying up all the newest SW figs.

NJ really had a bad scalper problem from 1996 until just before I left in 1999. However, as many comic shops started closing their doors around 1997, it got less severe. Today, almost all the flea markets are closed, and the comic shops are few and far between--at least in the part of nothern NJ that I used to live in.

Down here in NC, the problem is that we have a ton of flea markets that do a thriving business, plus there are a lot of collectors and too few retail outlets for new figures. So, the hunting gets pretty intense at times, and even old collecting buddies will sometimes stiff their friends on new figure info, fearing that they might not get their "mandatory" 2 figures (one to open, one for MOC).

As a result, more collectors in my area are starting to turn to online retailers. That's fine for them, I suppose, but I still enjoy the physical thrill of the hunt for figures just as much as I enjoy the figures themselves! However, it's good to know that there are some online retailers out there that are reliable, should I ever be forced to go that route.

Veers
11-09-2003, 03:46 AM
:cool: :cool: :cool:

JEDIpartner
11-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Considering KEBco orders their product directly from Hasblah, I wouldn't dare consider them "scalpers". It's those thugs who go around stocking their site etirely with product from from "traditional" stores that you have to worry about!

Long live KEBco! :happy:

mark2d2
11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Sure wish we'd see some carded pics of good ol' R1-G4. . . :sur:

JEDIpartner
12-01-2003, 12:55 PM
How sad... no Jawa pack-in with this guy. He seems a little short, too. They showed a pic of him with a Jawa figure for comparison on Hunter and the Jawa comes up half way on him. *sigh*

mark2d2
12-01-2003, 01:14 PM
I am bummed about the Jawa.
But now that i think about it,
it was more than a tad unrealistic. . .

As far as the height issue --- I saw that picture you referenced and think that
he is very accurate. R1-G4 is just barely taller than Uncle Owen if you watch the film closely. . . I can't wait for this guy to hit the shelves. . .

JEDIpartner
12-01-2003, 01:27 PM
for some reason I thought he was pretty tall based on the pictures in the "Complete Guide of Droids..."

Ehhh... still looks pretty decent nonetheless...