PDA

View Full Version : Hell has obviously frozen over, and pigs can clearly fly!

EricRG
11-04-2003, 12:53 AM
Jane's Addiction, Primus, now the latest...

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1478034/20030909/pixies.jhtml?headlines=true

That's right, the PIXIES! Indeed, hell has obviously frozen over, and pigs can clearly fly.

scruffziller
11-04-2003, 03:52 AM
When did Primus get back together?

EricRG
11-04-2003, 10:52 AM
Primus is on tour right now. Don't know if they plan to record or anything, or if this is a long-term kinda thing, since Claypool has so many "side projects".

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/primus/tours.jhtml

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2003, 12:07 PM
Meh, a tour would be nice, but a new album? You know it won't hold a candle to their old stuff, so what'd be the point? They're probably just getting together cos all their side projects have failed/sucked and they need $$. :rolleyes:

billfremore
11-04-2003, 12:12 PM
Yay the Pixies are getting back together! :D

:sur:

:confused:

Wait.

Who the HELL are the Pixies!?!

Kidhuman
11-04-2003, 12:50 PM
You no Freemore, they fly around and dump dust on your head.

billfremore
11-04-2003, 03:01 PM
No that would be my roomates in University who did that.

EricRG
11-04-2003, 09:20 PM
BF-

Typical response. I bet you've heard of Nirvana, right? Nirvana repeatedly cited the PIXIES as their greatest influence.

And quite frankly, they're WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better than Nirvana ever was.

You see, the Pixies were actually an influence on MANY bands, especially so-called "alternative" bands. They didn't play very many shows, and they broke up hating one another, so there's always been a sort of joke equating a Pixies reunion with pigs flying and h-e-double hockey sticks freezing over and such.

So there you have it. And if you want to check them out, I'd suggest Doolittle, as it's one of the best albums of the 80's (like Top 3 or so best, IMO).

aharry
11-04-2003, 09:37 PM
Where is my mind?

Jedi Clint
11-06-2003, 03:54 AM
Trompe is my favorite........and you're right........I NEVER thought they'd get back together!

billfremore
11-06-2003, 10:21 AM
BF-

Typical response. I bet you've heard of Nirvana, right? Nirvana repeatedly cited the PIXIES as their greatest influence.

You see, the Pixies were actually an influence on MANY bands, especially so-called "alternative" bands. They didn't play very many shows, and they broke up hating one another, so there's always been a sort of joke equating a Pixies reunion with pigs flying and h-e-double hockey sticks freezing over and such.

So there you have it. And if you want to check them out, I'd suggest Doolittle, as it's one of the best albums of the 80's (like Top 3 or so best, IMO).

Thanks for the heads up. I will be sure to check it out.

And as for my "typical response", I'm sorry, but I've never heard of them, no need to get all righteous about it.

jjreason
11-20-2003, 07:27 PM
The Pixies I believe were out of Boston, and were fronted by Charles Francis - aka Frank Black or Black Francis. Frank Black released at least 2 solo albums, but probably did 3. The bass player was Kim Deal, who with her twin sister Kelly, formed a fairly good band called the Breeders after the Pixies split up. "Cannonball" was a big hit for them circa 93, off the album "Last Splash".

I think the Pixies albums, most notably the one who's name I can't remember (with "Allison" on it) are better than the side projects. Their albums were:

Surfer Rosa/Pilgrim (released as one cd)
Doolittle
(That one who's name I can't recall, it's short but amazingly good)
Trompe Le Monde

Check them out - they really, really rock. Im surprised to hear they'd get back together as well, I thought Kim and Frank really had a falling out. I hope they'll make some new music.

Of interest, it is a Pixies song ("Where is my Mind") that plays when the Visa building explodes at the end of the movie Fight Club. Wicked.

EricRG
11-23-2003, 10:59 PM
jjr-

The Pixies (official) releases were actually as follows:

Come on Pilgrim
Surfer Rosa
^(above two were LATER re-released together on the same disc)
Doolittle
Bossavova (that's the name you can't recall)
Trompe Le Monde (their last studio album)
Complete B-Sides (released relatively recently)
Death To The Pixies (a recent retrospective containing a live disc and a "best of" disc)

The song at the end of Fight Club is called "Where is my mind?" and originally appeared on Surfer Rosa, although I don't believe it is actually on the soundtrack.

jjreason
11-25-2003, 05:11 AM
Excellent work, EricRG. "Bossanova" is a great album - the reason I couldn't find my CD - it was in the trunk in a backup magazine for my car player. I knew I'd heard it recently, but couldn't figure out where the heck I'd put it.

I guess Kelly Deal 3000 should have rated a mention in my above post, but I don't know if it's any more than twice removed from any Pixies influence. Kim may have played a little with Dayton's Guided By Voices (another band I really used to dig), but maybe not on any of their albums. I think Joey Santiago played on the Frank Black albums as well - of which there were at least 3. I never did get the third one, which included some kind of nod to a Sci Fi writer in the title, did it not?

EricRG
11-25-2003, 11:30 AM
The Breeders were OK. "Safari" is a classic. I never paid much attention to very much of the other Frank Black/Kim Deal "side project" stuff because it didn't impress me. I hope the Pixies cover "Safari" on their upcoming tour!

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 11:02 PM
BF-

No way in hell IMO.

jjreason
11-28-2003, 02:16 AM
Whoa, man. I think we love Nirvana too.

Back to the game. That's one vote Pixies, and one vote Nirvana. I wonder who'll wind up getting voted off 90's-College-Band Island!!!!!!!!

My personal hope is that Collective Soul will get the rest of the votes and have to give up their torches.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-02-2008, 05:43 PM
The Pixies I believe were out of Boston, and were fronted by Charles Francis - aka Frank Black or Black Francis. Frank Black released at least 2 solo albums, but probably did 3. The bass player was Kim Deal, who with her twin sister Kelly, formed a fairly good band called the Breeders after the Pixies split up. "Cannonball" was a big hit for them circa 93, off the album "Last Splash". Frank Black has put out a lot of material. He had three solo albums:

Frank Black
Teenager of the Year
The Cult of Ray

Then he started recording as Frank Black and the Catholics:

Frank Black & The Catholics
Pistolero
Dog in the Sand
Black Letter Days
Devil's Workshop (released the same time as Black Letter Days)
Show Me Your Tears

Then he went back to just recording as Frank Black:

Honeycomb
Fast Man Raider Man

In between those two, he released an album called Frank Black Francis. Disc 1 was the original crude demo that was made with just him and the guitar before the Pixies went into the studio to record their first album. The second disc was some new interpretations of Pixies songs.

His most recent album is under the Black Francis moniker, and is called Bluefinger. He's also had a bunch of internet only stuff, and there are a couple compilations of b-sides and unreleased stuff on iTunes.

The reunited Pixies did record the song "Bam Thwok" and it is available on iTunes. Kim Deal does most of the singing on that one.

And, according to wikipedia, his real name is Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV.

2-1B
03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
Yay the Pixies are getting back together! :D

:sur:

:confused:

Wait.

Who the HELL are the Pixies!?!

My sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

Mad Slanted Powers
03-02-2008, 10:09 PM
My sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

You need some Pixies education. Listen to Surfer Rosa and your life will be changed.

figrin bran
03-03-2008, 12:47 AM
"Wave of Mutilation" is on Rock Band (the video game) so the Pixies are getting some exposure there.

Mad Slanted Powers
03-03-2008, 01:09 AM
"Wave of Mutilation" is on Rock Band (the video game) so the Pixies are getting some exposure there.What's kind of funny is that was probably the first Pixies song that I recall hearing, and I didn't care for it. Actually, it was a different version of the song that was on the Pump Up The Volume soundtrack. I had heard of the Pixies and based on the name, I thought I would like them. I just envisioned a sound, nothing specific for sure, but I thought they would be good. Then I heard that, and no luck. A year or two later, another roommate had the Bossanova album. I never got to hear the whole thing, but one day I sampled the beginning of each track, and once again, it just wasn't working for me. The following fall, Frank Black's "Los Angeles" was on Beavis & Butt-Head and I really liked it. It was still a couple years before I got the second Frank Black CD. Then I got all the Pixies stuff at once. The first Pixies CD I put in the player was Surfer Rosa. Once I heard that, I thought, "This rocks! THIS, is the sound I envisioned when I first heard the name 'Pixies'." At first, Bossanova was my least favorite of the bunch, but eventually I came to like that a lot as well.

JimJamBonds
03-04-2008, 09:44 PM
Meh! Somebody get me when the RATT fiasco is cleared up and they get out on the road.