PDA

View Full Version : The Sun's gonna explode!!!

The 'Xir
11-04-2003, 10:10 AM
Check this out: Flares (http://www.msnbc.com/news/984388.asp?0cv=TA01&cp1=1)

As long as The Matrix:Revolutions and EpIII are released before the sun explodes is all I really care about!!! :D After that the whole earth could melt for all I care! Well, except for SSG of course! :stupid:

JEDIpartner
11-04-2003, 10:13 AM
I've known that the sun will eventually "explode" since I was 6 years old in 1974. Don't they teach kids anything anymore?
:rolleyes:

All stars eventually exhaust their fuel supply and become novae or supernovae... if they are really BIG stars!

This, however, will not happen to our sun for billions of years.

The 'Xir
11-04-2003, 10:24 AM
Ummm... I think I meant like ummm Now! :stupid:
Actually that would be pretty cool if that actually did happen in our lifetime! If scientist could atleast give us like a 24hr heads up, just so we could witness complete and utter chaos, before we see the big flash in the sky and then... nothing! Vaporized in a nano-second! Yes! That would rock! :crazed: :dead:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2003, 11:03 AM
If scientist could atleast give us like a 24hr heads up, just so we could witness complete and utter chaos, before we see the big flash in the sky and then... nothing! Vaporized in a nano-second! Yes! That would rock! :crazed: :dead:

I don't know about you, but i'd spend that last 24 hours doing some stuff that needed to be done before i perished into dust. Let's just say that when the sun finally did explode, i'd be pretty spent and probably wouldn't care much. ;)

stillakid
11-04-2003, 11:17 AM
Ummm... I think I meant like ummm Now! :stupid:
Actually that would be pretty cool if that actually did happen in our lifetime! If scientist could atleast give us like a 24hr heads up, just so we could witness complete and utter chaos, before we see the big flash in the sky and then... nothing! Vaporized in a nano-second! Yes! That would rock! :crazed: :dead:

If nothing moves faster than the speed of light and the sun (which we only see because of the light it emits) explodes, how do we know what happens to it before it can effect us? :confused:

Kidhuman
11-04-2003, 11:49 AM
I don't know about you, but i'd spend that last 24 hours doing some stuff that needed to be done before i perished into dust. Let's just say that when the sun finally did explode, i'd be pretty spent and probably wouldn't care much. ;)

Im with you on this one.

The 'Xir
11-04-2003, 12:59 PM
If nothing moves faster than the speed of light and the sun (which we only see because of the light it emits) explodes, how do we know what happens to it before it can effect us? :confused:

Hey Stilla, I'm sure whatever scientist that are out there that have all that fun fancy equipment, could probably detect some sort of change in the sun that could lead to it's destruction. measure such things as pressure build up, core density, whatever; so if there was any major or significant change, they'll just call a news conference to tell us that were all gonna die :eek: in about 12-48 hours! So then we can all hopefully go on a rape and pilaging spree like the fore-mentioned replys eluded to...Oh and am I so there! :Pirate: :happy:
I think I'll go into the sunglass selling business, oh wait I already do that! :cool:

bobafrett
11-04-2003, 01:16 PM
So then we can all hopefully go on a rape and pilaging spree like the fore-mentioned replys eluded to...Oh and am I so there! :Pirate: :happy:
I think I'll go into the sunglass selling business, oh wait I already do that! :cool:

Nice :mad: So you'd rather violate another person to make sure your last hours on Earth made you sexually gratified. Stay away from my family, or you'll be departing the Earth a little sooner!

The 'Xir
11-04-2003, 01:37 PM
LOL!!! :D Well I guess if we only had a 12hr notice well then yes I would rape and pilage, but maybe if we had a 48hr heads up, I might have a SW movie marathon...and then go rape and pilage! Argh!!! :Pirate: :p ;)

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-04-2003, 02:13 PM
Woah here Xir, i never said anything about rape and whatnot; that crap is one of the things that fires me up the most. I think i speak for Kid Human and myself when i say that none of the things i would do given 48 hours to live would include any harm in any way. Unless of course, you try some of that rape and pilaging crap in my neck of the woods; then the sun would be the LAST thing you'd have to worry about. :crazed:

Kidhuman
11-04-2003, 03:45 PM
I was talking about getting smashed, beer, and some other illegal substances. If I had to knock someone out to get it then what the hay right. Aint going on no raping spree here. What would looting do for you? Cant use it. I got a new big screen T.............oh the sun just exploded, cant use that now ;crazed:

JMG, we shall meet somewhere in the middle and drink a 40 together if this happens.

Jargo
11-04-2003, 06:38 PM
Stillakid, if I have understood the report correctly, the first thing we would notice is the earth warming up. The atmosphere becoming unbearable and the world uninhabitable by humans. Our planet would be bombarded bt radiation and massive amounts of magnetic force. Communications would be impossible. But by the time the sun heats up that much to explode or implode even we humans and all living things here on earth would all be well dead for a few thousand aeons.
The chances of humanity getting their act together to vacate earth and terraform a new planet and add in a usable atmosphere in time to escape oblivion are remote. Lordy we can't even get a damn astronaught off the ground safely let alone send millions of humans plants and animals hurtling through space to a new planet.
But getting back to the sun, these latest large flares have begun affecting the weather already, but there aint nothing drastic happening in out lifetimes. Maybe a bit more wind and rain and hotter summers and colder winters but not a lot else really besides idiots who go out in the sun without wearing sunscreen getting burned even quicker and standing ever increasing chances of getting skin cancers.
See if people stoped complaining about how little water there is in resouvoirs and started replanting the forests they've cut down, the atmosphere would be able to cope with the demands placed on it by modern society. More trees will save us in the short run, providing humidity and shade and helping to clean the dirty air.

If as in some SCI-FI fantasy make believe reality the sun did explode and we only had 24 hours. I would do nothing different. Just plod along until we all turned into longpig flambe.

bobafrett
11-04-2003, 07:46 PM
I'd begin to inventory my Star Wars collection, then submit an estimate loss to my insurance agent as the little plastic people would melt.

Exhaust Port
11-04-2003, 08:49 PM
I guess if this happened I could stop paying my bills?

The 'Xir
11-05-2003, 01:20 AM
oooo-Kay there now gentlemen, I think we're taking the whole raping and pilaging thing just a little toooo serious! I guess I can't pull it off as well as Jay and Silent Bob can, or Cheech and Chong, or Martin, Chase and Short, or any other of the thousands of references to 'raping and pilaging' there are in the 1000's of forms of entertainment there are! :rolleyes:
To tell you the truth If I actually had 12 hrs to live for any reason, I don't know what the hell I'd do! I'd probably wait till people actually worked themselves up into a chaotic frenzy, then I'd take a picture of 'em(just for the hell of it), then scream over a bullhorn, "I told you so!", before I sat back, cracked a beer, and waited for the end to come with a big cheesie grin on my face! :happy: ...and then I'd go rape and pilage!!! :eek: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :D :p :crazed: :rolleyes:

stillakid
11-05-2003, 09:05 AM
oooo-Kay there now gentlemen, I think we're taking the whole raping and pilaging thing just a little toooo serious! I guess I can't pull it off as well as Jay and Silent Bob can, or Cheech and Chong, or Martin, Chase and Short, or any other of the thousands of references to 'raping and pilaging' there are in the 1000's of forms of entertainment there are! :rolleyes:
To tell you the truth If I actually had 12 hrs to live for any reason, I don't know what the hell I'd do! I'd probably wait till people actually worked themselves up into a chaotic frenzy, then I'd take a picture of 'em(just for the hell of it), then scream over a bullhorn, "I told you so!", before I sat back, cracked a beer, and waited for the end to come with a big cheesie grin on my face! :happy: ...and then I'd go rape and pilage!!! :eek: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :D :p :crazed: :rolleyes:

I think that the asssumption is that there wouldn't be any women wanting to go have carnal relations, which is silly. I mean, what would they do, sit and watch a "very special episode" of Doctor Phil as they examined their feelings about the impending end of the world? Heck no...well, maybe some of the more prudish ones...but people are inherently clingy and physical when faced with the possibility of doom. I remember a report of a small baby boom following 9/11 as humanities survival instincts kicked in.

Look at it this way...you could finally ask that girl of your dreams to hit the sack with you. If she turned you down, you'd only have a few hours to wallow in your sorrows.

Exhaust Port
11-05-2003, 09:28 AM
Look at it this way...you could finally ask that girl of your dreams to hit the sack with you.
Why wait until then?

stillakid
11-05-2003, 10:27 AM
Why wait until then?

I guess my point was that in our reality now, the pain of rejection could conceivably last for 50 + years. But in the Sun-exploding scenario, the definition of "a lifetime" is significantly different. :D

Exhaust Port
11-05-2003, 10:33 AM
I see where you're coming from but I'd rather have a scenario where time wasn't so short. Hey, if she said yes it would be nice to know that we had years to enjoy it rather than 3 hours. :)

The 'Xir
11-05-2003, 01:21 PM
I can't believe we're debating this! :rolleyes: But, thanx for trying Stilla!

ANYWAYS! ...this whole thing with the sun actually is pretty cool! I don't consider myself much of a science freak, but I do find myself attracted to stories reporting of phenominal occurences within our solarsystem/galaxy! Like the asteroid thing a few years back when Jupiter was being bombarded by some 20-something asteroids! Pretty Freaking Amazing! Not as amazing as finally landing that girl of your dreams ;) , but amazing none the less!

hango fett
11-05-2003, 07:16 PM
if the sun exploded and turned nova or supernova, it would take over the first 4 or 5 planets of our solar system, meaning us, but we probably wouldn't see that...or the sun explode. we probably have a better chance of the earth exploding than the sun any time soon..
just some sci-fi knowledge i thought i would share..
h

Jargo
11-05-2003, 10:09 PM
Found this cool pic somewhere of the sun during these flares we've apparently not been discussing in this thread devoted to them. I have no idea what technology took this picture as there was no info attached apart from a picture title.

Exhaust Port
11-06-2003, 04:13 PM
The sun with showing some St. Patrick pride there.

Kidhuman
11-06-2003, 04:45 PM
The sun with showing some St. Patrick pride there.

Another excuse to have a beer. :crazed:

bobafrett
11-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Here's a link to a site about the end of the world. It's hilarious!

Warning::::::Some Strong Language::::::Clear the room if you are offended!!

http://www.ebaumsworld.com/endofworld.html

Good times!

Exhaust Port
11-09-2003, 07:43 AM
That's awesome!!

rabidewok
11-09-2003, 10:13 PM
Too bad these flares can't zap those people driving on their cell phones! :frus:
I could have sworn when it happened there was more people on them!

As for the final day/hours, gimme a NICE bottle of booze, a pair of shades, and a lawnchair, I'll go out chillin'!

I love all things dealing with space, it's so cool! The images were killer.

The 'Xir
11-13-2003, 12:28 AM
Dig everything about space?

Check this site out! It's a bit commercialized, but browse around a bit and you can find some really cool shyte!
The Final Frontier (http://space.com)

LusiferSam
11-13-2003, 01:17 AM
if the sun exploded and turned nova or supernova, it would take over the first 4 or 5 planets of our solar system, meaning us, but we probably wouldn't see that...or the sun explode. we probably have a better chance of the earth exploding than the sun any time soon..
just some sci-fi knowledge i thought i would share..
h

The Sun is way too small to go nova, let a lone supernova. As for exploding, I'd call it dying. And Jupiter wouldn't be taken out by the Sun's death throes. Mars might cache part of the "blast". And the Earth would be nicely baked.

Found this cool pic somewhere of the sun during these flares we've apparently not been discussing in this thread devoted to them. I have no idea what technology took this picture as there was no info attached apart from a picture title.

This is the SOHO satellite, don't ask what SOHO stands for because I'm not in solar physics. It's in the x-ray, hard or soft again I don't know. There's a much better picture at Astrnomy Picture of the Day (http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/). You want November 6. Its a cool site if your in to Astronomy

darthvyn
11-13-2003, 10:16 AM
SOHO - solar and heliospheric observatory

http://sohowww.nascom.nasa.gov/freestuff/#SCREEN%20SAVER

so, is this where infamous mod tycho gets his name???

http://antwrp.gsfc.nasa.gov/apod/ap010809.html

here's a closeup of the crater tycho...

http://www.lpi.usra.edu/expmoon/orbiter/5lo125m.gif

Anakin2121
11-13-2003, 12:03 PM
JMG, we shall meet somewhere in the middle and drink a 40 together if this happens.

Can I come? :)

And guys, make sure to plunder before you pillage.