PDA

View Full Version : Marvelous Marvel Movie.....Updates!!!

Pages : 1 [2]

JediTricks
06-27-2007, 09:13 PM
Yeah, it's going to tick a bunch of purists off. But Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is one of the most arse-kicking aspects of the Ultimate books. So I say bring it on. :)All I can say to those purists is 1 word:
Hasselhoff
That's their 2 choices, whether they'd rather have Nick Fury cinematically portrayed by Sam Jackson or David "help! I'm trapped in a paper bag that I couldn't act out of" Hasselhoff.

I don't know if it'll tick anyone off or not. Nobody seemed to get their panties in a bunch about Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.
Besides, Sam Jackson is awesome.

Hahaha. Please. I've heard people on comic boards complain since Daredevil came out that Kingpin isn't black. It's become fairly annoying. They disregard that he's the perfect man for the role, and just focus on his skin color. :pI don't disregard him because of his ethnicity, I just didn't feel he really seemed like Wilson Fisk in personality, and he wasn't nearly big enough.

Beast
06-27-2007, 11:10 PM
Well, I don't think you could honestly get any bigger than Michael Clark Duncan for Kingpin. He's pretty huge in general, but you get any bigger and you start losing any plausability that he's made of muscles instead of just really fat.

JediTricks
06-28-2007, 10:17 PM
That's the thing, Kingpin looks like a huge lardo, ridiculously so, he's like 400 pounds, it's a misdirect for the character really. Yet Duncan just looks like he's in good shape and carrying extra weight, more bulk like an 1890s strongman - it's not at all the same.

Phantom-like Menace
06-28-2007, 11:01 PM
Hello, my name is JediTricks, and I'm a member of the "OH MY GOD I JUST CRAPPED IN MY PANTS" club. :eek:

Well, there was no defecation on my part, but it was agreeable to read that information. I've been happy with nearly everything that has been done with Iron Man so far, and I've had the strangest feeling of contentment from the moment Favreau was tapped to direct. Every interview I've read from him, every statement I've heard from him seems to show he's worried about the same things I'm worried about. I am of course aware that doesn't mean he's found the answers to those worries. I guess I'm just happy he seems to care either way. That's rare in Hollywood.

El Chuxter
06-30-2007, 12:11 PM
Meh, it's still Iron Man. He was boring before he became a feminine hygiene product. And now he's a boring feminine hygiene product. Hopefully Mandarin's powers of orange will destroy him within the first five minutes of the movie, leaving him to be defeated by a better hero, Jubilee.

And I'm not joking. Jubilee is, at least, interesting and unique. Iron Man is like the stuff in a diaper. Cap may be a tool, but at least you don't get bored reading about him by page three.

JediTricks
07-03-2007, 02:25 AM
The thing that makes Iron Man a boring comic character I think may make him an interesting movie subject. He's boring because he's fairly 1-note, he's not one of those heroes with complex powers and complex background and complex motivations - all of which plays great in the comics but is far too detailed for a single film. But with Iron Man, you only need to capture the simple essence of the character to get him on the screen, which just requires research and understanding rather than vast resources and effort of a more complex guy.

darthvyn
07-06-2007, 08:54 AM
finally saw FF:ROTSS last night, and i enjoyed it throughly. mrs. vyn had a "meh" attitude about it.

You get a better glimpse of the real Galactus head near the end when the Surfer tells Galactus that he will no longer be his herald.

but not much of a glimpse.

There was something else I didn't like about Doom - they started in the right direction by making him all scarred up (the original reason he wore that damn mask) only to screw it up and have him miraculously healed by the Surfer.

i didn't mind the miraculous healing. and there's something else to consider - after all was said and done, the cosmic weirdness that was affecting johnny was gone, so doom probably went back to normal (read:all scarred up) as well. i think they were a lot more successful with doom this time around, but not quite there yet - though i feel like they're building his character up into the megalomaniacal power-hungry guy we all know and love to hate in the comics. it's just too bad that he has an american accent... it would go a long way towards "real" doom if he had a european accent, but that can't be undone now - unless they did a franchise reboot, which i don't anticipate. but at least he called reed "richards" and started blaming him for everything that goes wrong - awesome! and his reactions to the power of the surf board were spot-on doom all the way.

the surfer was REALLY well done as were all the other effects - they were stepped up a notch from the last installment. and as always there's an excuse to have jessica alba show a bit of skin. her hair and contacts were a bit much - i don't know who had a problem with her in the first one so much that they had to drastically react to the protests in this way, but it was quite a bit of overkill.

the fantasticar was well done, but yeah, the "hemi" joke was pretty retarded. as if reed would build anything that runs on fossil fuels.

Beast
07-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Update on Wolverine:

GAVIN HOOD TO DIRECT WOLVERINE FEATURE FILM

Despite the mixed results of strong box office and lukewarm reviews of X-Men 3, Marvel and Twentieth Century Fox are moving ahead with the film franchise based on Marvel’s mutants, as Variety has announced that Gavin (Rendition) Hood will direct the Wolverine feature film. Hugh Jackman is slated to reprise his role as the character.

The film is scheduled to begin production in November for a 2008 release. Lauren Shuler-Donner, Hugh Jackman (through his Seed Productions) and Jackman’s production partner John Palermo will produce. The film was written by David (Troy) Benioff.

From the trade:

Hood is the South African director whose 2005 film "Tsotsi" won the foreign film Oscar. He was among several hot young directors vying for "Wolverine" and sources said Fox brass was swayed after viewing his latest film, "Rendition," the politically charged New Line drama starring Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal, Meryl Streep and Peter Sarsgaard. It opens Oct. 19 and premieres at Toronto.

Using several resources that include the Marvel Comics lore, along with the more recent Weapon X graphic novels by Frank Miller, "Wolverine" mixes action with an origin story about how Logan emerged from a barbaric experiment as an indestructible mutant with retractable razor-sharp claws.

According to Variety 20th Century Fox has made the production of Wolverine a “top priority” thanks to the X-Men film franchise’s $1 billion box office gross worldwide.

Newsarama Note: Frank Miller has never written any "Weapon X graphic novels." He did, however, illustrate the 1982 Wolverine miniseries, which was written by Chris Claremont. The Weapon X graphic novel most likely implied in the Variety story would be the collected storyline from 1990-1991's Marvel Comics Presents which was written and drawn by Barry Windsor-Smith. We assume the trade mistook the 17 year old Weapon X for the 25 year old Wolverine when it was mentioning "recent Weapon X graphic novels by Frank Miller."
http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=121732

darko666
07-20-2007, 02:39 PM
is it to much to ask for an R rated Wolverine movie?

Beast
07-20-2007, 03:24 PM
is it to much to ask for an R rated Wolverine movie?
Probably. I'm sure it will be PG-13. If they follow the Weapon X storyline there's not going to be a lot of blood. Other than during the Adamantium Bonding Process and then when Logan escapes from the facility. It doesn't need to be R, since it's not really graphic.

darko666
07-20-2007, 08:45 PM
true, but it couldn't hurt. but, at least Hugh Jackman is on as Wolverine. it wouldn't be the same if they had some other actor step in.

Beast
07-20-2007, 08:58 PM
true, but it couldn't hurt. but, at least Hugh Jackman is on as Wolverine. it wouldn't be the same if they had some other actor step in.
Actually, it could hurt. An R-rated Supehero film... especially once starring a character that's popular with kids... doesn't really wash. Especially when it comes to Box Office Returns. As well as the all important merchandising. At PG-13 it can still get the teenage draw and do well in the toy sales. Where as R, kids have to see it with their parents.

darko666
07-20-2007, 09:11 PM
and thats the problem with todays movies, they cater to the young brats. when i see Wolverine slash someone with his claws, there needs to be blood. PG-13 movies can have blood, while not a lot of it, but we need an adult version of Wolverine, none of this Singer/Ratner crap. the movie will probably make it's money, but overall, will be a bomb with fans. theres also talk of a Magneto movie, but we'll see what hapens with that. it might depend of the popularity of the Wolverine movie.

Beast
07-20-2007, 09:23 PM
The Magneto movie interests me a lot more than the Wolverine movie.

Mostly because I consdier Wolverine horribly over-exposed. ;)

Rocketboy
07-22-2007, 10:59 PM
Since Tom Jane dropped out of The Punisher 2 my interest is pretty dang low, but there may be a new Frank Castle...Ray Stevenson (http://www.latinoreview.com/news.php?id=2452)...

Who?

A new guy and a new director (http://imdb.com/name/nm1072244/) that hasn't done squat.
They might as well release it direct to DVD.

*sigh*

Marvel would be better off handing The Punisher 2 over to me and Cappy.

JediTricks
07-23-2007, 12:07 AM
Actually, it could hurt. An R-rated Supehero film... especially once starring a character that's popular with kids... doesn't really wash. Especially when it comes to Box Office Returns. As well as the all important merchandising. At PG-13 it can still get the teenage draw and do well in the toy sales. Where as R, kids have to see it with their parents.
Blade was an R-rated superhero film and had a moderately successful toy line. But it wasn't a popular character with the kiddies.

El Chuxter
08-02-2007, 12:00 AM
Ray Stevens as the Punisher?

"I hollered out, 'Don't look, Ethel!' But it was too late. She'd done been mooned. So I blew the m-f'er's head off!"

darko666
08-02-2007, 01:25 AM
as far as Marvel movies go, Iron Man is the one i'm looking forward to the most. it seems to be on the right track from what i've been reading and the comic-con footage was amazing. not having hollywood involved is the best thing about the movie.

Beast
08-02-2007, 11:51 AM
Wolverine sounds like it might be on the right track as well.

http://www.wizarduniverse.com/movies/wolverinemovie/005458455.cfm

General_Grievous
08-02-2007, 02:12 PM
Wolverine is going into production much faster than I expected.

Rocketboy
08-02-2007, 10:25 PM
Hell, when it was first announced, Hugh Jackman expected it to be out this year.

JediTricks
08-05-2007, 08:55 PM
That's because they announced it like 2 years ago, then it just stalled.

darthvyn
08-09-2007, 10:03 AM
punisher 2 has a title: "punisher 2: welcome back frank"

too bad they used that storyline already for the first installment. :rolleyes:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6180

JediTricks
08-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Man! What the hell are they thinking? It's a bad movie title and it's a concept they already used.

darthvyn
08-09-2007, 06:12 PM
it's like if they called the new hulk movie "hulk, too" and made the main character bruce banner's cousin, bart banner (played, of course, by jason bateman - michael j. fox wouldn't agree to be in the sequel.)

Rocketboy
08-09-2007, 10:42 PM
punisher 2 has a title: "punisher 2: welcome back frank"

too bad they used that storyline already for the first installment. :rolleyes:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6180Its official: I'm looking forward to the new Hulk movie more than this.
:cry:

I wonder what happened to using Punisher: War Zone?

darthvyn
08-10-2007, 08:37 AM
I wonder what happened to using Punisher: War Zone?

THAT would've been a cool name. oh, well.

Beast
08-13-2007, 02:47 PM
The Thor movie definatly is sounding tasty. :)

Matthew Vaughn (Layer Cake, Stardust) has been hired to direct Thor.
Based on a script by Mark Protosevich.

From AICN:

This isn't a Donald Blake, doctor on vacation story. Instead, this is a genuine TALES OF ASGARD story. In the first few pages the creation of everything takes place... the origin of the gods, their universe and how midgard (that's our place in the universe) came to be.

It has Thor and Loki as brothers - the best of friends... and it shows how that goes bad. The origin of the uru hammer, Thor being thrown from Asgard to being a mere mortal... it's a HUGE story - easily the most awesome script that a MARVEL project has ever had.

JediTricks
08-15-2007, 03:27 AM
I want that to work so bad, but it sounds like they're aiming really really high with that writeup. Still, if they can get all that in there without it feeling too cluttered, it should be seriously awesome. Normally, I don't think superheroes NEED to have that origin story first (Blade 1 was awesome and only hinted at his origins beyond the basics), but with Thor it feels right.

darko666
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
i'm excited about a Thor movie being made. great story, characters, and this could be the first epic superhero movie. IMO, they need to combine both styles of 300 and LOTR to make this movie work, or go with one or the other. and i wouldn't mind a 2 1/2 to 3 hour movie. i know that's a long shot, but it would help this movie out. i'm putting my hopes up high for it now, but time will tell if it stays there.

El Chuxter
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Wow, Iron Man and Thor.

Next to Cap, the two biggest tools in comics.

Thor has the potential to be interesting, but I could never get beyond the bad pseudo-Shakespearean dialogue that made it a pain in the arse to read.

2-1B
08-15-2007, 11:28 PM
Thor was pretty cool in Adventures in Babysitting. :p

Ray Stevenson will make an awesome Punisher. :) The movie might suck, but he'll be good, I expect. Great work in Rome from that guy.

General_Grievous
08-16-2007, 11:23 PM
Wow, Iron Man and Thor.

Next to Cap, the two biggest tools in comics.

Firstly, Aquaman is the biggest tool in comics.

Secondly, I'd rather have movies featuring all three of them than an Ant-Man movie. Why are we getting an Ant-Man movie??? Yes, I know Edgar Wright is directing it, but still.....Ant-Man????

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 12:56 AM
Wait, we're really getting an Ant Man movie??? I thought that was a joke.

General_Grievous
08-17-2007, 01:42 AM
No joke, sir.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0478970/

Although I'm expecting it to be a campy film. Not as campy as Ghost Rider, but it won't be a serious film.

JediTricks
08-17-2007, 01:45 AM
Super lame! This is one of those characters who I absolutely cannot see translating to the big screen. May as well make the Superfriends' Apache Chief movie while you're at it.

El Chuxter
08-17-2007, 01:49 AM
Aquaman is the biggest joke in comics. The biggest tools are Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, and Rob Liefeld. Please get your facts right, double G.

General_Grievous
08-17-2007, 05:23 PM
I was confused by the thin line between "joke" and "tool", Chux. Forgive me. :p

Beast
08-17-2007, 05:42 PM
It makes sense that they want to do Iron Man, Thor, Hulk, and Ant-Man first.

That way they can use the Avengers film to introduce Captain America. :)

Rocketboy
08-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Looks like they finally did something right on The Punisher 2:

The Punisher Enters War Zone
Source: Advanced Dark
August 28, 2007

Lionsgate has a new title for Lexi Alexander's Punisher movie starring Ray Stevenson -- Punisher: War Zone (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11932). The new film will be set in New York, where Frank Castle (Stevenson) runs up against a mobster.

The project will mark the third screen incarnation for "The Punisher (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36688#)," which originated in a comic book about Castle, a Marine-turned-vigilante who is driven by a desire to avenge the murder of his family after they witness a gangland killing.

The property was turned into a 1989 film that starred Dolph Lundgren and then into a 2004 pic that starred Thomas Jane (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36688#).http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=36688

Rocketboy
09-09-2007, 09:05 PM
Looks like Wolverine will be starting production soon:

The Xverse (http://www.thexverse.com/news/0471.shtml) has learned that 20th Century Fox (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37069#) is preparing Wolverine (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15161) for a November start with Hugh Jackman (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37069#) returning as the title character.

The site adds that, while the previous three "X-Men" films have been shot in Vancouver, the new spin-off will be shot in Sydney, Australia.

The film will be directed by Gavin Hood (Rendition, Tsotsi) from a script by David Benioff.http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=37069

plasticfetish
09-09-2007, 10:55 PM
Oh yeah, Australia. That makes sense. Don't shoot the Wolverine movie in Canada, go to Australia instead. Smart. :rolleyes:

mabudonicus
09-10-2007, 10:59 AM
Could be doing that whole Madripoor/Excalibur type thingy, no?? Might be a post x-men story after all- besides, if they wanna start shooting in november, it'd have to be a winter-based tale, whereas it'll be spring/early summer in Australia during that time- could have been a timing thing between the various folks involved. I wouldn't worry about it too much tho...
:beard: Isobaws

Rocketboy
09-10-2007, 02:09 PM
Oh yeah, Australia. That makes sense. Don't shoot the Wolverine movie in Canada, go to Australia instead. Smart. :rolleyes:Maybe they're retconing things so Logan has the bad Aussie accent he had in Spider-man and his Amazing Friends.
:p

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 02:17 PM
Wow. Want to bring up anything else I've blocked from memory?

Rocketboy
09-10-2007, 03:06 PM
Wow. Want to bring up anything else I've blocked from memory?Civil War, Onslaught/Age of Apocalypse, Rob Liefeld, Superman IV:The Quest for Peace.

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 03:08 PM
Well, I haven't blocked Liefeld from my memory, as his futile attempts to capture the human form in his artwork are a neverending source of amusement. lol

As for the others, thanks for reminding me. You are truly a bottle of Summer's Eve. :p

Rocketboy
09-10-2007, 03:16 PM
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention Jubilee.

El Chuxter
09-10-2007, 03:17 PM
Jubilee remains a positive memory up until (but not including) Generation X.

Rocketboy
09-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Efforts continue to ruin thoroughly The Punisher 2.

Dominic West (the douche from 300) is Jigsaw.
Wayne Knight (yeah...Newman) is Microchip.
*sigh*

They are also continuing to mine Garth Ennis' stories by adding the characters Det. Martin Soap, Paul Budiansky, and Maginty.

El Chuxter
09-27-2007, 11:53 PM
Wayne Knight... Microchip?

Holy cow, that may be the worst casting ever. They need to replace Thomas Jane with Jim Carrey, and cast Artie Lang as the Kingpin.

Hellboy
09-28-2007, 12:15 AM
Honestly I don't see how anything can be worse than the first film but regardless Dominic West is a very talented actor and I think hes a good choice for Jigsaw. I agree the casting of Wayne Knight as Microchip sucks but one thing I do like is Ray Stevenson as the Punisher. Hes a much better choice to portray Frank Castle than Thomas Jane was IMO.

Not thrilled that they've decided to stick with the Garth Ennis Punisher though. Don't get me wrong I love Ennis' work (especially Preacher) but I don't think his brand of comedy translated well to film the first time around. I found many of the supporting characters to be incredibly annoying and I cringe to think what they'll be like in a sequel. :stupid: I guess I enjoyed the more serious tone of the Classic Punisher without the heavy handed comedy relief.

Rocketboy
09-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Detective Soap is the only other character from Eniss' Marvel Knights run, which had the dark, slapstick comedic tone. Soap is a bumbling idiot of a cop put in charge of a Punisher Task Force (which mostly consisted of just him).

The Paul Budiansky and Maginty characters are from Eniss' darker, realistic Max run. The addition of Budiansky surprised me since he was introduced in an arc just a few months ago (maybe 8 at the most) in the series.

El Chuxter
09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
Is he perchance named after onetime Marvel editor Bob Budiansky (once writer for the Transformers, probably best known for his masterpiece, Sleepwalker)?

Rocketboy
09-28-2007, 10:27 AM
I dunno, but he was drawn like Sam Jackson.

darthvyn
09-28-2007, 12:52 PM
Not thrilled that they've decided to stick with the Garth Ennis Punisher though. Don't get me wrong I love Ennis' work (especially Preacher) but I don't think his brand of comedy translated well to film the first time around.

i think that failure shouldn't be attributed to ennis... it wasn't his fault that they used his storyline to ill effect for the first movie. the beauty of his "welcome back, frank" story was that he thrust this loner vigilante into this vestige of weird humanity and his inhumanity played off against it so well. that only works after years and YEARS of continuity and when played off as dark comedy.

the fact that they toned down the violence, toned down the weirdness of the supporting cast, toned UP joan's looks for sappy mellodrama that never actually goes anywhere, and toned down the comedy made the movie far more mediocre than had they simply adapted the storyline outright.

Rocketboy
10-10-2007, 10:49 PM
Looks like Wolverine and Magneto will be starting soon...

Comic Book Movie Start Dates
Source: ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38244)
October 10, 2007

ComingSoon.net (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38244) has posted an updated pre-strike priority list which reveals new start dates for upcoming comic book movies (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6393#). Included are Wolverine (Nov. 7 start date), Magneto (Jan. 1), G.I. Joe (Feb. 8), Justice League (Feb. 11), and even Dragon Ball Z (Fall '08).

JediTricks
10-12-2007, 10:20 PM
Those seem like odd start dates what with the actor and writer unions strikes coming up.

Rocketboy
12-06-2007, 06:58 PM
First pic of Ray Stevenson as Frank Castle in The Punisher: War Zone.

*sigh*

General_Grievous
12-06-2007, 08:38 PM
That looks doon-tastic. Are you sure that's Ray Stevenson? It looks more like Steven Seagal to me.

JediTricks
12-07-2007, 11:14 PM
Heh heh, it totally does!

darthvyn
12-08-2007, 05:19 PM
yeah, and a lame washed-out skull symbol again. feh.

Rocketboy
01-05-2008, 11:45 PM
Looks like this summers two big Marvel turds could be infecting each other:

So the scene that was shot was for the Hulk with General Thunderbolt who is very important to the Hulk. Anyway, Tony Stark meets with him - which of course is a straight prelude to the Avengers Movie.http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=6651

MTV: There's also been talk of a scene in which Iron Man encounters the Hulk. Favreau: Again, I don't want to confirm or deny any of this stuff. I think it's a fun game. Every Marvel fan is like Columbo. They can take in very little information and they can piece together the whole scene of the crime. But I'm not going to show any cards before I have to.http://www.mtv.ca/news/article.jhtml?id=6035

El Chuxter
01-05-2008, 11:47 PM
Avengers movie?

We have Hulk and Iron Man. Possibly Captain America and Thor in the wings. That's not much of a team. And, if they follow previous film continuity, Hulk is hardly a hero.

Gotta say, this kinda hurts my hopes for Iron Man, since Incredible Hulk sounds like such an incredibly rank turd.

Rocketboy
01-06-2008, 12:00 AM
The Green Turd and the Iron Douche.

plasticfetish
01-06-2008, 01:34 AM
Gotta say, this kinda hurts my hopes for Iron Man, since Incredible Hulk sounds like such an incredibly rank turd.What's that based on? Seeing as how there's only a handfull of photos out there, and only a rough outline for the film, I can't see how you're passing judgement at this point. (Can't understand the criticism for Iron Man either.)

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 02:43 AM
Iron Man looks good to me so far, and I've never been a fan of the character. I've said that before.

My low expectations for Hulk are based on a few factors. First, the last several Marvel movies (including the latest installments of the otherwise perfect Spider-Man and X-Men series) have sucked pretty hard. Second, the plot outline requires several major suspensions of disbelief (the entire thing about Bruce bottling fruit juice, and infecting the bottles with radioactivity that makes a woman sick is so ludicruous it makes Transformers sound like Citizen Kane), which are further compounded by the fact that this will be a sequel to what still stands as the most cerebral comic book superhero movie made to date. (In essence, it's like following up The Godfather with Highlander 2.)

A crossover between the two does concern me. In the film world, where these separate franchises are generally portrayed as being unique universes, crossing two new, unproven properties (which a Hulk reboot would be) is risky, and could easily bring down the better of the two films. (I say "unproven" not in terms of financial success, but quality. The fact that Transformers made a few gazillion dollars doesn't make it any better than an episode of Shirt Tales.)

plasticfetish
01-06-2008, 04:55 AM
which are further compounded by the fact that this will be a sequel to what still stands as the most cerebral comic book superhero movie made to date.You're talking about the first Hulk movie? I dunno... at best I'd say people are evenly divided on that film. I thought it was boring, though I've never sat through the whole thing, so I can't say more.

It's nearly impossible to tell if these movies will suck or not until they come out, but they're no different than any other films I suppose. Yep... the last X-Men and Spider-Man films could have been much better, but I'm still willing to assume that it's possible for someone to crank out a winner every now and then.

Transfomers is a perfect example of how a slick looking film with a lot of marketing behind it can make a ton of money, even if it's really just mediocre. People are bored, uptight and generally freaked out by everything these days. The slightest whiff of harmless escapism seems to merit at least one viewing of a film like that. It's a one-trick-pony though. At my house we've still not bothered to unwrap our copy of the DVD, and at this rate I'm not sure if we will.

An Avengers movie could be great, but it could also be as huge of a letdown as the first (and second) Fantastic Four movies were. Just depends on the approach I suppose.

Beast
01-06-2008, 10:10 AM
This pretty much was always the plan. We'll get Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk reboot this year. And then supposedly Thor, Captain America, and Ant-Man (w/ Wasp) in 2009. Which will dovetail into the Avengers feature film in 2010. That of course is only if everything works out as planned.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 10:34 AM
PF, by saying Hulk was cerebral, I wasn't saying it was good or bad (though I've made clear how much I love it). I'm just saying it is an art film of sorts, and requires far more thought than any other superhero movie, including X2 or Batman Begins. The sequel looks to be brainless as hell.

Can't wait for the Ant-Man film! As with the Superhero Squad, I've got to wonder why we didn't see a feature film based on really important characters like NFL Superpro first.

mabudonicus
01-06-2008, 11:05 AM
I actually finally saw FF2 the other day and it wasn't half as bad as I'd prepared myself for- by no means the film I would have made but it was leagues beter than the first IMO

And same with Spidey 3, saw it again 2 weeks ago. When I saw it at the theatre I came out of it thinking "hell, wasn't TOO good really" but seeing it again (with a buddy who hasn't seen it) the crappy bits were far less crappy, the good bits were TONS better (the way the physics were handled in the first fight sceen between Goblin and Spidey was almost SICK, damn) and overall, after getting through the first viewing where the anticipation kinda clouds the enjoyment, it was actually a damn good sliver-age Marvel film

And I frankly think Iron Man will kick butt- always loved the character- tho if they do it like Hulk it'll be 3 hours of Tony drinking til he vomits and crying into a glass of whiskey about his dad being a homosexual or something- the way it sounds, kinda a mix of serious and funny (which is where Spidey 3 REALLY worked for me- so many weird little "marvel jokes" worked into it and I ain't talkin about the obvious bits) should play real well- Tony was one of the first, best kinda "light but heavy" characters ever in the whole Marvel Universe.

:beard: Iso & Baws
Hulk STILL sucked a mountainful of rocks tho :D

:beard: Iso & Baws

jjreason
01-06-2008, 11:13 AM
Bah, they should skip all this "intro to (insert hero)" carp and head right into Secret Wars. Never mind the characters' speaking parts either - they can just have the fighting take place for 2hrs and 13 minutes! We don't even have to meet the Beyonder (he's not that fundamental to the story) - that would save time for more fighting!

Rocketboy
01-06-2008, 11:49 AM
My low expectations for Hulk are based on a few factors. First, the last several Marvel movies (including the latest installments of the otherwise perfect Spider-Man and X-Men series) have sucked pretty hard. Second, the plot outline requires several major suspensions of disbelief (the entire thing about Bruce bottling fruit juice, and infecting the bottles with radioactivity that makes a woman sick is so ludicruous it makes Transformers sound like Citizen Kane), which are further compounded by the fact that this will be a sequel to what still stands as the most cerebral comic book superhero movie made to date. (In essence, it's like following up The Godfather with Highlander 2.)Don't forget the "reboot" (which seems to pick up after Hulk) and the vastly inferior cast.
Edward Norton replacing Eric Bana?
Liv Tyler replacing Jennifer Connelly?
William Hurt replacing Sam Elliott?
While they are decent actors in their own right (except Norton - very overrated), the new cast just isn't nearly as good as the original.

El Chuxter
01-06-2008, 11:53 AM
Aye. Liv Tyler is smoking, but next to Jennifer Connelly, she looks like Rue McClanahan.

Even a reboot could be forgiven, though, if the story didn't sound so inane that a third-grader who handed it in as a school assignment would get an F.

I happen to really like Ed Norton. Remember that old Eddie Murphy skit? "Hey, Norton, come down here a minute.... Norton, my friend, I've been watching you. And I know you've been watching me. You're watching. I know. And you know that I know that you know that I know that you've been watching...." I'm going to cut it off there since the rest is ban-worthy.

Rocketboy
01-06-2008, 12:42 PM
I happen to really like Ed Norton. Remember that old Eddie Murphy skit? "Hey, Norton, come down here a minute.... Norton, my friend, I've been watching you. And I know you've been watching me. You're watching. I know. And you know that I know that you know that I know that you've been watching...." I'm going to cut it off there since the rest is ban-worthy.
I'd prefer that Ed Norton as Bruce banner.

JediTricks
01-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Art Carney would have appreciated your support, had he not died 4 years ago.

Rocketboy
01-23-2008, 03:56 PM
Edward Norton on The Incredible Hulk
Source: Advanced Dark
January 23, 2008

Edward Norton talked to Total Film magazine (via The Sun (http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/film/article718829.ece)) and said there is no connection between upcoming The Incredible Hulk (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=15533) and 2003's Hulk.

"First off it's utterly unrelated to that film," he told the magazine. "This is in no way a response to it or picking up from it. I think like Chris Nolan and those guys did with Batman, we just said: 'We're going to start completely with our own version of this myth or saga.'"http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=41160
POSSIBLE SPOILERS BELOW

No connection with the previous film, eh?
So then why start the film with Bruce in a South American jungle...where we last saw him in 2003's Hulk (if the plot reports are true)?

JediTricks
01-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Coincidence?

Beast
05-05-2008, 09:55 AM
Reposting from the Iron Man thread. So we can discuss spoilers reguarding the announcement.

Marvel today updated its feature film slate strategy and plans for the next three years, locking in key release windows for its character franchises. In order to focus its attention on maximizing the success of an Iron Man sequel and the launch of Thor in the summer of 2010 and because Marvel believes that the summer is the optimal time to launch a new property, the Company will not release a self produced film in 2009. Marvel plans to launch its 2010 film slate with the release of the sequel, Iron Man 2, on April 30, 2010, followed by the launch of Thor on June 4, 2010. Additionally, Marvel is planting its feature film stakes for summer 2011 with an Avengers-themed summer – a two-picture project which will debut on May 6, 2011 with The First Avenger: Captain America (working title), followed by The Avengers in July 2011.
They're also hoping to add Ant-Man to the Pre-Avengers build-up plans also.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/080505/20080505005656.html?.v=1

I think this is a brilliant move myself. By doing Iron Man, Incredible Hulk, Ant-Man, Thor, and then Captain America before launching Avengers, they can establish everyone's origins so they don't need to waste time with that in the Avengers movie.

I'm guessing Captain America will be a period piece then. Maybe featuring Red Skull? And it will end with him getting frozen. And then maybe a post-credits teaser of Nick Fury and Shield finding the body to lead into the Avengers movie two months later. I wish DC would use a similar idea for a Justice League movie.

plasticfetish
05-05-2008, 10:27 AM
All brilliant... but someone needs to put a stop to "Spider-Man, the Musical" with "music & lyrics by U2ís Bono and The Edge." :thumbsup:

General_Grievous
05-05-2008, 10:28 AM
If they name that movie "The First Avenger: Captain America", then that's super lame. What's wrong with just plain old "Captain America"?

Beast
05-05-2008, 10:37 AM
If they name that movie "The First Avenger: Captain America", then that's super lame. What's wrong with just plain old "Captain America"?
It's just the working title at the moment.

But yeah, hopefully it becomes just Captain America.

Phantom-like Menace
05-05-2008, 11:27 AM
I'm excited about the buildup to Avengers. This is definitely the best way to set it all up. I'm not sure if I'm excited enough to bring myself to watch a Thor movie, but when I saw the cameo at the end of Iron Man, I had a big, silly grin on my face.

General_Grievous
05-05-2008, 12:33 PM
I also think it's smart that they're prepping Thor and Captain America before the Avengers film. What remains to be seen is if they plan to include Hulk in the Avengers movie.

Beast
05-05-2008, 02:53 PM
I also think it's smart that they're prepping Thor and Captain America before the Avengers film. What remains to be seen is if they plan to include Hulk in the Avengers movie.
That's supposedly the plan. As there's a rumored cameo much like with Iron Man.

2-1B
05-05-2008, 04:53 PM
will Captain America be gay in this one ?

Beast
05-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Some interesting possible news about Iron Man 2. Warning: Spoilers!!

Scoop: Iron Man 2 Plot And Villain Details
By Josh Tyler: 2008-05-06 02:41:15

Marvel Studios made it official yesterday, announcing that Iron Man 2 is now a sure thing. That means it’s time to start thinking about what direction they’ll go for the sequel, and don’t think for a minute that Marvel doesn’t already have plans.

Tonight I got a message from a long time friend of the site, and one of our most spot on, regular scoopers. She’s had her ears out, and tells us she knows some of the things currently being considered for the next Iron Man movie.

Apparently the Samuel L. Jackson cameo after the credits in Iron Man wasn’t just a throwaway. Our scooper says his Nick Fury character will figure prominently into the next movie. One of the plot lines being pushed for the sequel has Jackson’s Nick Fury character enlisting the help of Tony Stark in going after a terrorist called The Mandarin.

If you know anything about Iron Man outside the movie, then you know that The Mandarin is one of his most notorious villains. The movie actually alludes to him. The terrorist group which captures Tony Stark at the beginning of the film is named “The Ten Rings”, a reference to the ten rings of power the Mandarin seeks in the comics.

We don’t know if the ten rings will still be a part of the character, but our scooper does say he’ll “have a monster at his disposal by the name of Fin Fang Foom.” That might be a nice change of pace. Give Iron Man something to fight besides his mirror image in a bigger suit. Meanwhile Fin Fang Foom also plays a role in Iron Man comic lore. In the comics, he’s an extraterrestrial dragon.

In addition to new bad guys, our source says they may be planning to involve other superheroes in the film. Maybe in the form of the cameo Iron Man is supposed to do later this summer in The Incredible Hulk. Chief among those is Thor, who may show up in more than just a cameo, possibly helping Iron Man. Thor has his own movie coming out the same summer Iron Man 2 hits, so that makes a certain kind of sense. It would be a way for Marvel to get people interested in a superhero franchise which, really isn’t as high-profile. Other possible superhero cameos include Hawkeye and Black Widow.

While our source for this is tried and true, please keep in mind that none of this is final yet. It’s still very very early in the Iron Man 2 production phase. With no script yet, anything could change, and with Iron Man 2 not being released till 2010, we’re going to have plenty of time to talk about it.
http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Scoop-Iron-Man-2-Plot-And-Villain-Details-8736.html

2-1B
05-06-2008, 11:54 PM
They should have left Iron Man as an awesome standalone movie...cuz they're going to kill the franchise with this foolishness.

JediTricks
05-09-2008, 04:34 AM
Favreau took on this movie intending to make it a trilogy. I dunno about that sequel news though, looks way over the top, but this one rules so much and I do want to see Iron Man fight more than just other suits (sorry Titanium Man).

The Avengers news is kinda cool, not sure about that Cap title tho'. Hopefully a Thor movie will be good, could definitely go either way.

Beast
05-23-2008, 11:48 AM
Here's news about the Cap film and about the Runaways movie. :)

Captain America Film Will Be a Period Piece
Plus McConaughey is Not Involved!
Written by Stephanie Sanchez
Wednesday, 21 May 2008

IESB's Robert Sanchez spoke with Marvel big wig Kevin Feige today about the new Avengers film they have planned starring Captain America!

After the huge success of IRON MAN, Marvel announced a few films on their horizon including The First Avenger: Captain America set to debut in 2011.

Feige gave us a few updates about the film!

IESB asked Feige if the Captain America film would be a period piece. He confirmed yes, the story will take place during World War II, just like the comic book origin story. He says they plan to remain very faithful to the source material and completely traditional.

Feige also confirmed that it was definitely the Captain America shield that was seen in IRON MAN on Tony Stark's work-station as he's removing his suit for the first time. It's just an Easter Egg and probably won't have anything to do with the Capt. America story.

What about that casting rumor making its way around the web that Matthew McConaughey would be taking on the role? Nope, Feige says that's absolutely false.

Thanks to Kevin Feige for the intel!
It was also noted elsewhere that that Captain America will serve as a 'Prequel' to the Avengers film which will open 6 weeks later. Coolness. :D

Runaways' in works at Marvel
Latest comic book to headed to the big-screen
By Borys Kit
May 22, 2008, 01:00 AM

"Runaways" is the latest Marvel Comics book to get the big-screen treatment from Marvel Studios.

Brian K. Vaughan, who co-created the series with artist Adrian Alphona, is writing the adaptation, for which Marvel Studios president Kevin Feige will act as producer. Vaughan is also a co-producer and writer on ABC's "Lost."

As opposed to other Marvel characters getting the silver screen treatment, such as the Hulk and Spider-Man -- who have been around since the 1960s and are pop-culture fixtures -- the heroes in "Runaways" are relatively new, with the comic series launching in 2002.

The title was critically praised for its honest portrayal of teens and their issues and in 2006 won a Harvey Award for best series.

"Runaways" follows a group of teenagers who find that some family secrets are bigger than others when they discover their parents are actually super-villains. Running away from their homes, the teens band together and begin a journey of discovery, both of their parents' origins and of their own inherited powers, while trying to make up for the evil done by their folks.

While Marvel has already scheduled its next four films through 2011, "Runaways," like the company's "Ant-Man" project, remains in the incubation stages.

Vaughan is well known in comic circles for his creator-owned works including "Y: The Last Man," which is in development at New Line, and "Pride of Baghdad."

JediTricks
05-23-2008, 06:09 PM
Cap is a period piece, awesome! Nazi smashing, here we come! I just hope they use the modern shield instead of the golden age one, I don't really care for that design. 2011 though is lame, they should get this sucker out by 2010 to carry the momentum they've got.

Saw a trailer for Incredible Hulk yesterday, looks like it'll be a better and more faithful comic book movie for sure than the first one, but I get the feeling that no matter how many iterations of the Hulk we get on the big screen, it's never going to really work, the character is just too cartoony a concept, too big and green, to really work on a cinematic level.

Beast
07-27-2008, 08:29 PM
Trailer for X-Men: Origins - Wolverine up on YouTube from Comic Con.

Get it before Marvel takes it down.

Part 1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=mU9aMjybCJw
Part 2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=P__qgySbNIo

RUSHBOY
07-27-2008, 09:21 PM
Trailer for X-Men: Origins - Wolverine up on YouTube from Comic Con.

Get it before Marvel takes it down.

Part 1 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=mU9aMjybCJw
Part 2 - http://youtube.com/watch?v=P__qgySbNIo

Holy mole !! That is gonna be an insane movie , I cant wait to see it now !! Thanks alot Beast !:grin:

Beast
07-27-2008, 09:47 PM
Holy mole !! That is gonna be an insane movie , I cant wait to see it now !! Thanks alot Beast !:grin:
Yeah, it does look pretty impressive.

Man, Gambit got a bigger round of cheers than Wolverine did.

And I was pretty surprised to see Emma Frost in there.

Beast
11-10-2008, 11:20 AM
The director of Cap has been announced. Joe Johnston!

Joe Johnston (Jurassic Park III, Hidalgo) has signed a deal to direct First Avenger: Captain America, Marvel Studios' take on its classic comic book character, says The Hollywood Reporter. Marvel's Kevin Feige is producing.

No writers are on board, but the studio, which is hearing pitches, expects to hire shortly.

"This is a guy who designed the vehicles for 'Star Wars,' who storyboarded the convoy action sequence for 'Raiders of the Lost Ark,' " Feige said. "From 'Rocketeer' to 'October Sky' to 'The Wolfman,' you can look at pieces of his movies and see how they lead to this one."

Created in 1941 by Jack Kirby and Joe Simon for Timely Comics, Captain America is the heroic alter ego of Steve Rogers, who is rejected by the Army for being too sickly and undergoes an experiment that takes him to the pinnacle of human form. Paired with an indestructible shield, he became a symbol of the war effort, in and out of comics.

The character disappeared in the 1950s but was revived during the early era of Marvel Comics. He was reintroduced as part of the Avengers, the absence explained by having him being in a state of suspended animation during a war mission until found by the superteam.

First Avenger: Captain America is scheduled for a release on May 6, 2011. It will be a World War II-set movie, and the character will appear in the modern day-set The Avengers.

JediTricks
11-11-2008, 08:31 PM
If this is a period piece, he's probably gonna nail it. Rocketeer was amazing, one of those films that sticks with you if you're at all into pulp. But if it's a character piece, it's gonna probably not work because he's just not that good at telling a human story with the camera in anything I've seen him direct.

I pray Will Smith doesn't get this though, he's all wrong - wrong age, wrong build, wrong attitude, and let's not mince words, with a character like Cap, he harkens back to an era where the gov't wouldn't give those chances to a black person.

Beast
11-11-2008, 09:55 PM
They're not going to give it to Will Smith. Trust me.

If anything, if Will Smith does appear... it will be as Isaiah Bradley.

And I don't see Will "Headliner" Smith taking such a small part.

Now if there's an eventual Cap sequel, he'd be a decent Falcon.

Phantom-like Menace
11-21-2008, 01:10 AM
I've always thought it was kind of amusing that Captain America is tall and blond and fighting Nazis. It always struck me vaguely as being subconsciously unrealized bias toward exactly the picture of the concept of the Ubermensch. No one had the sense of irony to realize they were idolizing the same concept.

Now if there's an eventual Cap sequel, he'd be a decent Falcon.

Yeah, but Falcon wouldn't be decent to Will Smith. Every time I think of Falcon, I think of Robot Chicken's Real World: Metropolis, and a Twisted Toyfare Theater where is origin is explained as his hatching from an egg in a nest.

bigbarada
06-16-2009, 01:37 PM
The director of Cap has been announced. Joe Johnston!

I really hope that this stays as a WW2 period movie. That would be awesome! :thumbsup: In fact, aside from getting him into the Avengers, I see no real need for Cap to be a modern character at all. He'd work just as well as an Indiana Jones type character, who is firmly rooted in the past.

With the success of Hancock, I kind of doubt that Will Smith would take another superhero role; but JT is right, the super-soldier serum is not something that they would have used on a black guy in the 1940s (unless they were expecting it to kill him).

I don't like the idea of Smith being in this role at all and it's not because he's black. He's just never proven that he can play anybody but Will Smith in a movie. I don't want another classic story to be turned into just another disposable Will Smith vehicle (look what happened with I, Robot, I Am Legend, and to a lesser extent Wild Wild West).

If they were going to cast Falcon, I'd pick Wesley Snipes.

I don't know who could play Steve Rogers. It'd have to be someone young and not some guy in his late-30s or 40s just pretending to be young. Channing Tatum seems to fit the physical aspect of the role, but I don't know if he'd have that commanding presence that Captain America would require. Maybe that guy who played Kirk in the new Star Trek movie.

If he was a few years younger, I'd say Matt Hughes would be a great choice for Rogers (see attachment, taken in 2002); but to be 100% honest I don't really know if he can act.

JediTricks
06-25-2009, 10:00 PM
I think Cap's personality being rooted firmly in that past is part of what makes him so special, he's less corrupted by our modern society, his morals are more structured (even when he ends up on a different moral side than the government itself). Joe Johnston is a master of this, watch The Rocketeer and his characters ooze that period-specific personality.

Oh, you think Matt is perfect for everything. ;)

The problem is that they need to cast Steve Rogers as someone we're not super familiar with, and I totally agree about casting the age you gave, only so that they can continue to use him in a few years (they should age him up in this first movie rather than play him a younger Cap, not that Steve Rogers ever came off as anything other than young until the super serum was used on his puny ***).

Chris "New Kirk" Pine has horrible skin and is turning 30 next year. My biggest objection would be his moral center though, his acting has a bad attitude which worked for New Kirk being a total punk, but wouldn't fit Captain America at all. Compare that attitude to Brandon Routh's acting attitude in Superman Returns (not the stalker parts or the mousy parts), when he put on his big-boy voice he actually fit that I think. (His look is all wrong and he is 30 this year, I'm just talking about acting styles at this point.)

preacher
06-25-2009, 10:11 PM
Just watch. It will be Shia Lebouf.

JediTricks
06-26-2009, 01:07 AM
I would literally stop watching Marvel movies altogether if that happened. I would send back my copies of Iron Man and the Spider-Man duo (there was no 3rd movie, stop lying) and X-men duo (ditto).

plasticfetish
06-26-2009, 05:46 AM
If it wasn't for the fact that he was in Batman (and who knows... may come back), I was sort of thinking Anthony Michael Hall for Cap'n America.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 12:23 AM
If it wasn't for the fact that he was in Batman (and who knows... may come back), I was sort of thinking Anthony Michael Hall for Cap'n America.
He's 40 and kind of looks like a jerk, especially ever since he bulked up for Edward Scissorhands.

plasticfetish
06-27-2009, 03:26 AM
He's 40 and kind of looks like a jerk, especially ever since he bulked up for Edward Scissorhands.Well... seeing as how Robert Downey Jr. is 43, Hugh Jackman is 40, and Christian Bale is 35, I'm not sure that the age thing is such a big deal. Besides, I'm starting to see a pattern where we tend to get better performances from guys in their mid 30s to early 40s. There are surely younger guys that have done well, like Brandon Routh or Tobey Maguire, but I'm afraid that they'll just pick someone because they look good in a suit.

And speaking of "looks"...

and kind of looks like a jerkWhat? Just because the guy beefed up a little and isn't the twerp from Weird Science anymore? If anything, I'd say he gets points for being such a convincing "jerk" in Scissorhands.

I dunno, he has the right look, which might actually be "kind of a jerk," and enough character to pull it off. He was good in The Dead Zone, and I could see him doing something like Captain America.

JediTricks
06-27-2009, 02:25 PM
Well... seeing as how Robert Downey Jr. is 43, Hugh Jackman is 40, and Christian Bale is 35, I'm not sure that the age thing is such a big deal. Besides, I'm starting to see a pattern where we tend to get better performances from guys in their mid 30s to early 40s. There are surely younger guys that have done well, like Brandon Routh or Tobey Maguire, but I'm afraid that they'll just pick someone because they look good in a suit.Cap is in his late 20s at the end of the war, and this movie takes place during that period. It wouldn't be appropriate to cast someone that much older, it's not as easy to get away with as it was with Tony Stark, and Bale was 30 while filming Batman Begins, it's pretty close to Bruce Wayne's age in the film. Wolverine never looked young to begin with. :p

What? Just because the guy beefed up a little and isn't the twerp from Weird Science anymore? If anything, I'd say he gets points for being such a convincing "jerk" in Scissorhands.

I dunno, he has the right look, which might actually be "kind of a jerk," and enough character to pull it off. He was good in The Dead Zone, and I could see him doing something like Captain America.AMH looks like a tool, his facial expressions have become sneers and permanent frowns. He's still a good actor, I watched all of Dead Zone, but I just don't think it fits here at all. Steve Rogers had a rugged but earnest look to him for the better part of his run.

El Chuxter
06-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Christopher Guest should be the Red Skull.

Christopher Guest should play a villain in every movie. He just kicks that much tail.

"I've just sucked one year of your life away."

preacher
09-02-2009, 04:57 PM
on IMDB jensen akles announced (rumored) to be Cap.

He's been in a lot of WB schlock like 7th heaven and Dawson's creek. Also played a character in Dark Angel.

This doesn't sound like good news.