PDA

View Full Version : Marvelous Marvel Movie.....Updates!!!

Pages : [1] 2

Beast
11-04-2003, 03:36 PM
Couldn't think of an M word, but here's the latest news about the various Marvel Movie properties currently in development. Flicks talked about include X-Men 3, Spidey 2, Hulk 2, Daredevil 2, Elektra, the Fantastic Four, and more. Still have major doubts that they'll deliver FF by next Christmas. And if the Elektra stand-alone movie bombs, it could hurt Daredevil 2. :)

During Marvel's conference call, Avi Arad said that he wished to clear up some misinformation about Marvel’s relationship with Artisan, stating that the studio (which was just acquired by Lion’s Gate) does not have “15 Marvel properties.” The only property Artisan has any stake in currently is Punisher. (He didn't mention Man-Thing, but I assume they obviously have a stake in THAT, too). Arad said that if things go well between Artisan and Lion’s Gate, Marvel may expand and/or continue their relationship with the studio. Arad stressed that, despite reports, Artisan does not have the rights to Iron Fist and Black Panther.

Other topics mentioned by Arad included:

- Spider-Man 2 just completed principle photography

- Iron Man is targeted to be a PG-13 release and on target for a ’05 release from New Line.

- Elektra, which is still in current development, will be the “sequel” to Daredevil, with the character first appearing there, and then she will be reunited with Daredevil in Daredevil 2.

- Marvel is “feverishly” working on Fantastic Four with Fox, and that the studio has it on its schedule for December 2004. (Given where it stands now, that's REALLY soon to expect anything.)

- Hulk 2 is in development for an 06 release. Arad reported that 6.5 million DVDs shipped out for the release, and 3.5 sold within the first seven days.

- Namor is in active development, no other word though.

- Arad said that X-Men 3 is in the start of development, but neither Marvel or Fox is willing to tentetively put it on the schedule yet, for either 05 or 06 release.

- Arad reported that Captain America is in discussion with top writers and directors, now that litigation surrounding the character has been resolved.

- Arad said that the production budget for Punisher was in the upper $30s, while the marketing budget will most likely be in the mid $20s (millions).

-Finally, Arad said that he should be able to release more information about upcoming Marvel film projects closer to the November 18th analysts' call.

Other notes from the conference call:

- Spider-Man 2 is already seeing more licensee activity that the first film.

- Marvel is already talking to and negotiating with licensees for Fantastic Four.

- Marvel will be working to expand its worldwide licensing business, and as such, will be opening offices in Europe and Japan to further licensee relationships internationally. The offices should be opening within the next 60 days.

-Man-Thing was named as the intial fruit of the company's strategic review - a low-budget film with Marvel creative support which may be the model for many Marvel properties in the future. Marvel acknowledged that the film will have very limited licensing, but it could spawn sequels.

-Final monies due in from Spider-Man are related to television and cable rights for the film. Revenue from those deals is expected in 2004.

-Spider-Man 2 merchandise rollout should begin in early Q1 2004 and will build through to the release of the film.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
11-04-2003, 04:33 PM
Thanks for the heads up JJB. :cool:

AT-AT Man
11-04-2003, 06:39 PM
sounds pretty good, stinks though that we have to wait that long for X3 to come out.

evenflow
11-05-2003, 02:38 PM
Very cool news, I am also a little surprised with the X3 comment though.

Boba Fetish
11-06-2003, 07:32 PM
Awesome, finally a Fantastic Four movie, and I can't wait for X-men 3. Now I wish some people would be this proactive about DC characters. We really need a new Superman and Wonder Woman. Batman can wait awile though.

kool-aid killer
11-06-2003, 09:53 PM
I think the Spiderman2 and Xmen3 will work out nicely but for the most part i dont like the thought of the rest. Im suprised a Hulk2 is planned, the first was alright but dull in many moments. So much crap is left over from that i wonder if it will have a big merchandising deal too. Namor? Who is that? That doesnt sound too appealing. As for Daredevil and Elecktra movies, i dont anticipate liking either very much. Elecktra just doesnt seem to be an interesting enough character to have her own movie so soon.

Beast
11-06-2003, 10:17 PM
Namor, is also known as 'The Sub-Mariner'. He was appealing enough to have gotten a Marvel Legends figure made out of him. The early news on the movie is that 'The Rock' will be playing him. Which is the only thing that scares me about the possibility of the Namor project. Here's a link to some character info and a picture. :)

http://www.marveldirectory.com/individuals/s/submariner.htm
http://leaderslair.crosswinds.net/namor/namor.jpg
http://comolo.redsectorart.com/images/heroes/images/namor01.jpg

And I think it's wise they are doing a seperate Elektra movie. Since they have to deal with her death in Daredevil and her resurrection by 'The Hand'. Better to get that out of the way in her own spin-off movie. So they don't have to explain all of that in the Daredevil 2 movie. And Elektra's a very intresting character in the comics. And I liked te Daredevil movie a lot, so look forward to the two films. Hopefully they can bring in some of Daredevil's other rogue's gallery. Though he has a smaller group to draw from then most. :)

Agreed totally on the Hulk though. I count that as the worst Marvel Movie. It was long, dull, boring, and tedious. More thought should have been put into the storyline, and less into all the artsy fartsy transitions and camera dealies. If they would have cut about 30 minutes of blabbing, rambling, and yapping out it might have been a good flick. Not to mention the bastardized Absorbing Man rip-off. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
11-19-2003, 10:39 AM
Saw this posted over on the horror board that I'm a member of. Finally news on the R-Rated Cut of Daredevil. :)

Avi Arad had the latest Marvel company analyst webcast the other day, and here are the latest updates:

- Daredevil: Director's Cut is coming to DVD in April of 2004.

- Hulk 2 has been given a new writer, replacing James Schamus, who previously was attached to write the sequel and also wrote the first film. Arad did not mention who the new writer is.

- In addition, a new Hulk TV series based on the movie may be on the way. No word on if he means live-action or animated.

- Fox has officially bumped Fantastic Four back to Summer of 2005. Arad is saying that licensing/promotion for this film will be huge, rivaling Spider-Man's easily.

- X-Men 3 is slated for a 2006 release, as is Hulk 2, Captain America, Namor, Nick Fury, and Iron Fist.

Elektra, Ghost Rider, and Iron Man are targeted for 2005, with Iron Man being written by Smallville writers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-19-2003, 10:49 AM
I've been saved! Kind of glad I waited to pick up the Daredevil dvd. Now just hold off until April.

AT-AT Man
11-19-2003, 04:58 PM
damn, i guess i'll have to pick up this version of DD to go with my other version. I didn't wait, i bought the one thats already out, so i guess i'll have both.

El Chuxter
11-19-2003, 05:18 PM
So is Hasselhoff going to portray Nick Fury on the big screen like he did on the small screen? :Pirate:

evenflow
11-19-2003, 07:51 PM
I really hope that the movies actually get made. I love that so many popular comic characters are finally getting the respect on the big screen.

I still think that 2006 is too long to wait for X-Men III

Beast
11-20-2003, 01:45 AM
Some more info from the phone call was posted. I'll post the highlights and link to the full article. :)

Other topics discussed by Arad were as follows:

A Director's Cut version of Daredevil will be out on DVD in April.

Nick Fury and Tales of The Zombie are on the slate for big screen treatment as action/adventure and horror films, respectively.

The Punisher will be rated R, and will be distributed internationally by Sony. A full trailer for the film will be released at the end of this year.

Werewolf By Night, to be directed by John Fasano, was described as "sufferance" with "less Verdi... done in a very unique way." Classified as a fantasy/romance, the film will be somewhere inbetween a family movie and an R-rated film.

Mort The Dead Teenager will be Marvel's first comedy film.

Man-Thing director Brett Leonard will be helming other Marvel movie adaptations.

20th Century Fox's Fantastic Four has been pushed back until summer 2005. Marvel and Fox had previously targetted a December 24, 2004 release, but it was ultimately decided that was too late in the year. The movie will be billed as a major tentpole release, and will be supported with many licenses including video games, toys, apparel, and more.

2005 will also see the release of Iron Man and Ghost Rider. Arad said that Elektra would "probably" be ready for the 2005 slate, but that "time will tell".

Iron Man was described as being "Howard Hughes meets superheroes", and is being penned by Smallville and Spider-Man 2 writers Miles Millar and Alfred Gough. The script for the "expensive" movie will be ready by the end of this year, and Arad said the writers would also be working on more Marvel movies and television series' "because they're very, very good".

Activision are actively developing both Fantastic Four and Iron Man video games.

Ghost Rider, starring Nicolas Cage as John Blaze with Mark Steven Johnson directing, will be a PG-13 movie. Arad hopes production will begin after January 1st.

Elektra will delve more into the character's back story based on feedback received from the first Daredevil film. The two characters will then be reunited in Daredevil 2.

Both X-Men 3 and Hulk 2 are set for release in 2006, alongside new properties Namor, Captain America, Nick Fury, and Iron Fist.

Screenwriter David Self has almost completed his script for Namor, which Arad described as "fresh", "unique", and joked that it boasts "a lot more fish" than Finding Nemo.

Captain America is in development with "a race between some of the world's greatest writers" to see who will pen the script.

Nick Fury, which is in fast development, was described as "James Bond made in the U.S." A "terrific star who always wanted to be Nick Fury" has committed to the project.

A writer for Hulk 2 has just been hired.

Brother Voodoo is in active development for a live-action television show on the Sci-Fi Channel, as is the Strikeforce Mortituri adaptation 1000 Days.

A live-action Night Thrasher series is set up at UPN.

Two new animated series' are in development - Blade on MTV and Hulk.

The Spider-Man animated series is being moved from MTV to "where kids expect to see it", whilst X-Men: Evolution remains on Kids' WB! Both series were described as continuing.

All of Marvel's upcoming tentpole movies, such as Fantastic Four and Iron Man, are being considered for television development as animated series'.
http://www.comixfan.com/xfan/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23722

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-20-2003, 06:41 AM
Oh a Blade cartoon! More good news.

Beast
12-26-2003, 09:29 PM
Looks like there could be problems in store, for a sequel to Hulk. It was a Major Box Office disaster. So the only people really onboard and readyto make a sequel is producer Gail Anne Heard. Even Eric Bana wants to bow out. I think they should make a sequel, but try to avoid the mess that was the original. No need to deal with an origin now, so a shorter film with more action. The following is from Dark Horizons. :)

Ok so you can get sequels out of the likes of "X-Men" and "Spider-Man", but the highly talked about sequels to other Marvel properties seem to be struggling. First "Daredevil 2" and the "Elektra" spin-off don't seem to be big on the development agenda, now comes new gossip on the franchise potential of that other not so great comic adaptation of this year from a regular insider:

"Thought you might want some info on a big reshuffle and impasse over at Universal. There's a sequel to "Hulk" happening - it just mightn't be at Universal or with the same people. You might have already heard something about this but I'll shed further light.

Producer Gale Anne Hurd wants a sequel to "The Hulk". The studio doesn't. Eric Bana doesn't. [And you can count Jennifer Connelly out too. She signed a one-picture deal first time around]. And now, it looks like there's going to be problems with everyone involved in merchandising too [the Vivendi arm], because another studio might get it - and they have their own subs.

In short, The film was a major dissapointment. The budget of the first film was near $137 million and the marketing costs were nearly a quarter of that. The end result? apparently somewhere near the $132 million region. In otherwords, a loss. Many involved blame it on the other films on release that week, whilst other said it was merely due to the wrong tactics being used in marketing it (it was more a psychological drama not a superhero film, blah, blah). Screenwriter Jim Schamus was informed his services wouldnt be required this time [finger pointing by the sounds]

Marvel are apparently in pretty heated talks about the sequel to Universal. The studio is understadably nervous about doing another Hulk movie (At one stage apparently, there was talk of a string of games, a new animated series, new tv drama series...but all the ideas got canned once the film flopped) Universal has first refusal on the sequel, and it actually is being written. It's in early draft stage. What will probably happen I was told was that Uni will probably end up taking the film on - but with something like a $80 million dollar budget and a less expensive cast [If they don't want it, look for Sony to get first offer]. Which is just as well, because....

Eric Bana is playing hardball. Despite the fact The Hulk was his first movie role, big one anyway, he's apparently had much better offers since. The deal is Guy Ritchie has been talking to him about a role in a film called Six Shooters or something, and he wants out of Hulk 2 to do that and another project. He's trying everything to see he can't get out of that sequel clause. Most of the folks on the first film arent requied to come back for the second one, which is just as well for them, by the sounds.

One rumor the guys at Vivendi have heard is that they're going to look at casting one of the original contenders for the role. People like Buscemi and Goldblum tested, and even David Duchovny, and that's the name they keep hearing. So don't be surprised if Bana leaves and Duchovny replaces him for the next couple of sequels. [it happened for batman after all].

So what are Universal pouring them money into at the moment - blockbuster wise? There's a couple of things. First, there's a new "Mummy" movie which Brendan Fraser's probably going to come back and do, and then there's a fourth "Indiana Jones" and "Jurassic Park"".
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-11-2004, 04:25 AM
New interview with Avi Arad over at IGN FilmForce. Some intresting stuff revealed. Too long to post here, so go check it out. There's also some possible casting news for Fantastic Four. And a possible deal with Pixar and Marvel for CGI animated movies. :)

http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/491/491232p1.html
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/490/490537p1.html
http://filmforce.ign.com/articles/489/489985p1.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-11-2004, 05:28 PM
That's interesting what Arad said about The Hulk. I didn't expect him to say that at all.

Pixar and Marvel, I wonder what they could do together. I just don't see a Marvel hero fitting in with their animation style. Of course, I doubt they'd make a Marvel hero all cute and lovely. Maybe pass Jubilee off to Pixar and let them try something with her. It would keep Chuxter happy, at least.

I think it would be a cool idea if Pixar did get into a deal with Marvel, just to see what they could produce, though.

mabudonicus
02-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Don't like the number of times "scary" and "emotions" get used re: the FF......

I mean, he said Hulk was a bloated piece of uncomfortable drek (nicely, of course, but he said it) and then goes on about how emotional the FF are, and that comment about how there's "no teamwork when things heat up" or something like that... doesn't sound too encouraging...

It's funny how the Hulk got dropped by nearly everyone involved, too, as recently I was thinking that it would be the one remake that can't happen soon enough, IMO(and I HATE remakes)... I sure wouldn't watch a sequel to the one that got released last summer, for sure

-Durge-
02-21-2004, 07:09 AM
JJB, any news on the MTV Hulk cartoon?

Beast
02-27-2004, 02:50 PM
The Hulk toon isn't happening from what I understand. It was originally planned, and has been scrapped. By the way, here's some more updates on the Punisher, Iron Fist, and the newly announced Black Widow films. :)

More Marvel Films Coming

The Punisher won't hit theaters until spring, but Lions Gate Entertainment has already struck a deal with Marvel Comics for a sequel, Punisher II, and is also developing two more Marvel films, based on the characters Iron Fist and Black Widow, according to The Hollywood Reporter. The first Punisher movie stars Thomas Jane, John Travolta and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos.

Iron Fist combines superheroes with martial arts and centers on Danny Rand, who was raised by monks and taught the ancient technique of the Iron Fist, which grants its users the power to level a building with a single blow and gives them complete control over their minds, bodies and spirits, the trade paper reported.

Black Widow centers on the adventures of former KGB agent Natasha Romanov, who must find her place in the world once the Soviet Union collapses, the trade paper reported.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
02-27-2004, 07:49 PM
Whats the deal on Fantastic Four?

Beast
02-28-2004, 09:07 PM
Expanded news on Punisher II, Iron Fist, and Black Widow. :)

Lions Gate Entertainment, the premier independent filmed entertainment studio, and Marvel Enterprises, Inc. announced today that Lions Gate has been granted licenses to develop, produce and distribute theatrical film releases based upon two popular Marvel properties -- Iron Fist and Black Widow. The announcement was made by Lions Gate Chief Executive Officer Jon Feltheimer and Avi Arad, Chairman and CEO, Marvel Studios.

The new agreements expand the pre-existing relationship between Marvel and Artisan Entertainment, acquired by Lions Gate in December 2003, which allowed Artisan to produce and distribute feature films based upon The Punisher character. Marvel and Lions Gate will share equally in certain revenues derived from the properties, with Lions Gate funding development, production and distribution. Marvel will be handling all merchandising in connection with the films.

The new pact comes as both companies prepare for the highly anticipated theatrical debut of "The Punisher," the first release stemming from the original alliance. Starring Thomas Jane, John Travolta and Rebecca Romijn-Stamos, the film will be released nationwide on April 16. Plans for a sequel have already been finalized and development has begun.

Iron Fist has been a major force in the Marvel Universe for 30 years, combining the action and adventure of a Marvel Super Hero with the skill and grace of a martial artist. Raised by monks in the hidden mountain city of K'un L'un, young Danny Rand was taught the ancient technique of the Iron Fist, which grants its users the power to level a building with a single blow and gives them complete control over their mind, body and spirit. Returning to America as an adult, Iron Fist uses his amazing abilities to help those in need while, at the same time, seeking to avenge the murder of his parents.

One of Marvel's most prominent female characters, the Black Widow has been thrilling readers with her adventures for 40 years. Trained by the KGB to be the Soviet Union's premier spy, Natasha Romanov found herself a woman without a cause or a country to serve when the Berlin Wall came down. International intrigue and suspense meet the hi-tech gadgetry and spectacle that can only be found in Marvel Comics as the Black Widow tries to find her place in a world without borders.

"Working with Lions Gate on 'The Punisher' was a great experience and we feel very comfortable expanding this relationship to include two more exciting franchises," commented Arad. "We are already starting on 'The Punisher II', which will become the fifth Marvel property to become a sequel."

"We like to create alliances with companies that have powerful brands, and Marvel has one of the most popular, exciting and recognized brands in the world," said Lions Gate Chief Executive Officer Jon Feltheimer. "We believe that the nationwide launch of 'The Punisher' and access to two more cutting-edge Marvel characters will kick off a long-term relationship between Lions Gate and Marvel that is rich with opportunity across all of our core businesses.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-03-2004, 01:29 PM
A few more updates from Avi Arad. :)

"He says TV spots will start next week for The Punisher, which will be released on April 16. He says Spider-Man 2, opening July 2, is a "spectacular movie"! Arad added that Blade: Trinity is "bigger and better" and once you see it you'll see why Blade 4 will be in the works. Then in October of this year, the studio will also release Man-Thing.

For 2005, Arad says Fantastic Four will be released in July. He mentioned they've got a great script and are now picking the right director. Elektra starts production this May, Iron Man starts production in the middle of the year for a November 2005 release. Ghost Rider and Luke Cage are also targeted for 2005 by Sony Pictures.

Also in the works are X-Men 3 (for 2006), The Hulk 2 (for 2006), Namor (2006), The Punisher 2 (2006), Iron Fist, Black Widow and Deathlok. Namor he says is like "Star Wars underwater... a fascinating frontier". He compared it to "Jurassic Park" as something viewers have never seen before. They've got visual designs for the film already and are talking to directors for a 2006 release.

The Hulk 2 will be much different than the first film. Arad referred to the sequel as the "light" version with it not being as heavy, or dramatic. Arad added that Sony and Marvel are aiming Spider-Man 3 for 2007. Marvel is also talking about bringing Captain America and Nick Fury to the big screen.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
03-03-2004, 01:43 PM
Blade: Trinity is "bigger and better" and once you see it you'll see why Blade 4 will be in the works

My most anticipated movie of the year. With Goyer directing, it should be a comic fan's delight.

evenflow
03-04-2004, 12:17 PM
Each update just sounds better and better. I cant wait for all these movies.

Beast
03-04-2004, 12:44 PM
More on the Luke Cage movie. :)

John Singleton is in negotiations to develop and direct "Luke Cage" for Columbia Pictures. Neal Moritz and his Original Films are producing along with Marvel Studios' Avi Arad. "Cage" is about a former gang member who is framed for a crime he didn't commit. In prison, he volunteers for a medical experiment that goes awry, giving him superstrength and bulletproof skin. Using his newfound powers, Luke Cage escapes and becomes a hero for hire. Ben Ramsey wrote the script.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
03-04-2004, 01:25 PM
Michael Clarke Duncan or Ving Rhames as Luke Cage, right? Please, please, please! :)

mabudonicus
03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
Probably be Vin Diesel, that would rock :)

Namor- that has the potential to be a snore-festival, sorta, Namor is kinda like the Silver Surfer in a way, fuiiled with ennui.. hope Orka is in it, whatever the case, but all I can think is 2.5 hours of Otoh Gunga :)

Imperius Rex!!! (if that isn't in every other line of dialogue I will pronounce the film crummy)

Beast
03-10-2004, 03:42 PM
Wow. Big news is coming out about DareDevil 2. Ben Affleck has been hesitant to return to the role, wanting Kevin Smith to be director. But K.S. has expressed he's not intrested, so Ben may have to deal with it. The current director being kicked around is Guillermo Del Toro, director of Hellboy. :)

Guillermo Del Toro is rumoured to be circling a sequel to the recent "Daredevil" movie, this time the project to be based on Frank Miller's acclaimed "Born Again" story and would only have DD in his costume for a very short time in the film.

Born Again's Story: Kingpin, having recently discovered Daredevil's identity, uses all of his resources to destroy Matt Murdock's life until he has nothing left. Then he intends to kill him when he has no will left to live. But after weeks of psychological torment, Matt manages to start rebuilding a new existence from the ashes, and his will to live shows itself in his willingness to put the costume back on at last and fight for his life.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
03-15-2004, 12:47 PM
Looks like we're in for a longer wait for Blade: Trinity. It was originally scheduled to compete with Alien vs. Predator on August 13th. But for reasons unknown, it's been pushed back four months. And will now open on December 10th. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
03-22-2004, 02:53 AM
This is probably old news (I'm slow on this stuff). I just saw the newer Punisher trailer over at apple quicktime and realized that some of the characters from the Ennis/Dillon stories are in there. I saw the Russian & Spackerbob. I wonder if Detective Soap will be in it too??? Now I'm more psyched than ever for this flick!!!

In fact, all these projects sound great!! I would look forward to a Guillermo Del Toro Daredevil flick, that would probably be pretty damn cool!!

evenflow
03-23-2004, 04:51 PM
Kevin Smith would rock. I hope that he does it.

Beast
06-29-2004, 12:49 AM
Avi Arad comes up with some news on Hulk 2, Black Panther, and Thor. He also says that the Dr. Strange movie currently isn't moving. :)

Q: Let's talk about coming Marvel movies. In the "Hulk" sequel, will the green guy at least say "Hulk smash!" this time?

A: Of course. I think at the end of the first movie you see this commitment: "You wouldn't like me when I'm angry."

And he's coming to terms with who he is. "I've got this curse and I'm going to use it when I need to protect innocent people." And I think in [the sequel] you'll see a man who understands his problem, is trying to solve it, coming to terms with the Bruce side of it, still trying to reject the Hulk, finding a way to reject it, and there are consequences to that, of course. And who knows? Green turns to gray and all hell breaks out.

Q: "The Black Panther."

A: That's going to be a great movie. We have a great take on it. It's like a black Indiana Jones. It can be very interesting.

Q: "Thor"?

A: We've literally just started these discussions. If you're a "Thor" follower you'll really love the movie, because we've found a really fine balance between Earth and Asgard. It's so big you have to look at it as a "Lord of the Rings" kind of thing.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
06-29-2004, 09:38 AM
Hmmmmmmm it looks like we will be seeing Grey Hulk in Hulk 2!! SWEETNESS!!!

evenflow
06-29-2004, 03:27 PM
Grey Hulk sounds cool, but i am way more interested in Thor and the fact he described it as being huge. I can't wait for that.

Reefer Shark
06-30-2004, 12:47 AM
Yeah,
Thor is one of my all-time favorite characters. The idea of a huge, epic Thor movie would be something to look forward to!

Beast
06-30-2004, 02:43 PM
Some intresting news about Daredevil 2:

Daredevil 2 is supposed to go into production next year - with pretty much the same crew as Elektra I believe - not Jen Garner. There's talk of it filming in the same locale as Elektra as well. It's apparently at that "going out to writers" stage at the moment. Whilst it's going to be the same character - it's unlikely to be the same guy in the suit. From what I gathered, either Ben Affleck is too busy or isn't interested in doing the second film (someone said they wanted him to appear in ELEKTRA and he didn't want to either). They're putting a few names in a hat and seeking out a few other name actors apparently - I believe there's two main candidates at the moment, a TV guy whose name escapes me at the moment and Hayden Christensen, from Star Wars 2. Can't say I'm familiar with anything else he's done, but he's young, so that works in his favour - especially if he has to do a bit of physical boof."
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

-Durge-
07-01-2004, 09:18 AM
Hmmm Anakin as Daredevil...sounds strange.:confused:

Beast
08-02-2004, 11:11 AM
Here's an update of what's on Marvel's plate:

Yesterday was business report delivery time for Marvel Enterprises, reports which remain overtly optimistic. As in the previous first quarter reports, a gathering of the various 'comic book to film adaptation' projects status were brought up. Here's the list, including the most recent information surrounding them and comments from scooper 'Zephyr':

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2004:

Blade: Trinity - Targeting a December 10, 2004 release

Marvel Character Feature Film Line-Up For 2005 & beyond:

Elektra: New Regency / Fox - Script, Director, Filming started May '04, Jan. 14, 2005 release (just recently, Ben Affleck has said he'll have some type of cameo in the film)

Fantastic Four, Fox - Script, Director, Filming starts August '04, July 1, 2005 release (the actor playing Dr. Doom should be announced in the next couple of days)

Iron Man, New Line Cinema - Script, Slated for November 2005 or Summer 2006 (with the clock ticking, it's interesting to see them include the Summer 2006 slot)

Luke Cage, Sony/Columbia - Script, Director (the last rumored candidate was Tyrese, a favorite of Singleton)

Man-Thing, Lions Gate/Fierce - TBD (was finished a while back, wasn't it?)

Marvel Character Entertainment Projects in Development For 2006 & Beyond
(Development and release timing is controlled by Studio partners)

The Avengers, Lions Gate - Slated for Q1 2006 release (animated DVD)

X-Men 3, Fox - May 3, 2006 release (May 3 is a Wednesday, and Fox still seems confident in this release date, along with a push for a X3/X4 combo, yet the search for a director continues on)

Namor, Universal Pictures - Script, Slated for Summer 2006 (recently, it was said that Chris Columbus would be taking on the Atlantean prince, who could be played by the Rock...I still think Jude Law is a better choice)

Ghost Rider, Sony - Script, Director, Pre-production, Summer 2006 (strange thing is is that I've heard that they're aiming for a Spring 2006 release, similar to Hellboy. What's stranger is that Hellboy 2 might come around the same time. Could we have a super-natural hero from hell showdown?)

Black Widow, Lions Gate - Writer, Director, Slated for 2006 release (reports point to Rebecca Romijin-Stamos to play the Russian femme fatale)

The Punisher 2, Lions Gate - Writer, Director (in an interview today, Thomas Jane was treating the next movie like it was going into production tomorrow. Good sign. Last I heard, it's possible that Punisher 2 could come as early as Winter 2005)

The Hulk 2, Universal Pictures - Development (a tricky one, Arad has said that Gray Hulk could be a result as the psyche of Bruce, who desires to live with this, and "Hulk", who desires something else, end up with something worse)

Deathlok, Paramount - Script (with Lee Tamahori off the project, Deathlok remains in limbo)

Spider-Man 3, Sony/Columbia - Director, May 4, 2007 release (the only issue with this one is with the villians, with nearly 99.9999999% of reports being about Venom. Fans just want to see him...including me)

Dr. Strange, Dimension - Contract (Arad said that nothing is really going on with the project)

Iron Fist, Lions Gate - Contract (yeesh, this one's still topsy-turvy. Ray Park is still signed on, but even he has a limit to his patience)

Silver Surfer, Fox - Contract, Development (the most out-of-the-blue candidate for directing this epic came the other day. Avi Arad said that while strolling through Europe, he met Baz Lurhmann (sp?) and was shocked by how much of a Silver Surfer freak he was)

Ant-Man - TBD (out of the blue)

Black Panther - TBD (last I heard, a company by MC Hammer was going to make a film that "inspired" by Black Panther. Also, Arad has said that the film will be like "a black James Bond-meets-Batman")

Captain America - TBD (not much since that false rumor about that three-pic deal with Brad Pitt)

Nick Fury - TBD (awhile ago, it was supposedly Samuel L. Jackson that was to bring the Ultimate version of Nick Fury to pictures)

Thor - TBD (Arad has said that this project will be treated like LOTR, and they have found a way to blend in real and mythical elements together)
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
08-02-2004, 11:58 AM
X-Men 3, The Punisher 2, The Hulk 2, and Spider-Man 3 - NOW! (But A Venom story needs 2 or 3 movies to develop)

Elektra - Doubtful that this will work, but I'll wait and see.
Fantastic Four - Shaping up to be pretty good.
Iron Man and Captain America- Both have good possibilities.
The Avengers - Perfect for DVD.
Ghost Rider only if Nicolas Cage is no longer involved.
Black Widow (reports point to Rebecca Romijin-Stamos to play the Russian femme fatale) - A 3rd comic book franchise?

I have serious doubts that these would be even remotley good:
Nick Fury - Not even with Sam Jackson.
Thor
Luke Cage
Man-Thing
Namor
Deathlok
Dr. Strange
Iron Fist
Silver Surfer
Ant-Man

Black Panther - TBD (last I heard, a company by MC Hammer was going to make a film that "inspired" by Black Panther. Also, Arad has said that the film will be like "a black James Bond-meets-Batman")
Oh Jeez, that's comedy!

Beast
08-02-2004, 01:02 PM
Actually, the Venom Story can be easily told in one. Just ditch the entire idea of 'Secret Wars' from your mind. Take either the 90's Spider-Man toon way of introduce the Black Costume/Venom. Or more likely, a variation of the Ultimate Spider-Man Black Costume/Venom. Since the USM universe is closer to the movies then even the 90's toon was. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
08-02-2004, 01:19 PM
Actually, the Venom Story can be easily told in one. Just ditch the entire idea of 'Secret Wars' from your mind. Take either the 90's Spider-Man toon way of introduce the Black Costume/Venom. Or more likely, a variation of the Ultimate Spider-Man Black Costume/Venom. Since the USM universe is closer to the movies then even the 90's toon was. :)I figure they'd use the 90's toon as a template for Venom, but I still seems like that would be too much for 1 movie.
Movie 1: I think they should introduce the symbiote, with John Jameson bringing it to Earth (as in the toon) and Spidey gets the costume and fights whatever villian they have. Also set up the Eddie Brock story and his hatred for Peter. Spidey realizes what the deal is with the suit and gets rid of it, while Eddie's career goes downhill and he blames Peter. Eddie and the suit hook up at the end Cliffhanger!
Movie 2: Spidey vs. Venom!

Hellboy
08-15-2004, 04:15 AM
SHH is reporting that the Daredevil Director's Cut DVD now has a rumored November 30th release date.

http://www.superherohype.com/index.php?id=1884

darthvyn
11-24-2004, 08:18 PM
blade: trinity looks all sorts of cool..

http://www.apple.com/trailers/newline/blade_trinity/trailer/trailer_lg.html

Hellboy
04-17-2005, 05:24 PM
A picture of Ghost Rider's Hell Cycle is available over at SHH. This will probably be the coolest thing about the film considering Nicholas Cage is going to be playing Johnny Blaze. :rolleyes: Makes for some pretty slick wallpaper. :cool:

http://www.superherohype.com/news/featuresnews.php?id=2834

darko666
04-17-2005, 06:45 PM
the bike does look cool. but as you stated, Cage will ruin the Ghost Rider character. any word on who the villian is?

General_Grievous
06-20-2005, 06:12 PM
Don't know if you guys have heard this or not, but I just want to bring up the fact that a "Captain America" movie is slated for release in 2007. I think it would be good if they cast the right people to play Cap and the Red Skull. It's one of the upcoming Marvel movies I'm most excited about, besides Spidey 3 and X3.

Rocketboy
06-20-2005, 09:13 PM
For me, it's all about Punisher 2!

Beast
06-21-2005, 09:57 PM
MTV has a great deal of info about future Marvel Movies. The info coming out sounds really good. Can't wait for all these films to be realized. :)

Future Shocks: What's ahead for Avi Arad And his Marvel Empire?
by Larry Carroll

Like Professor X looming over the students of his School for Gifted Youngsters, Avi Arad is the father figure of Marvel Studios, studying the development of the comic company's most promising stars and deciding when — and how — they will get their chance to dazzle moviegoers.

Regularly ranked among Hollywood's most powerful executives, Marvel's chairman and CEO is a prime mover behind the current cinematic-superhero renaissance and is currently mapping out the future of nearly 5,000 — yes, 5,000 — Marvel characters. With D.C.'s "Batman Begins" currently heating up the age-old comic book rivalry on the big screen, and Marvel's "Fantastic Four" on the horizon (opening July 8), Arad recently took some time to reflect on the future of his enormous cast of heroes and villains, and the traditions that he's charged to uphold.

"We have a tradition of Stan Lee being in all our movies," explains the mogul-stereotype-bashing Arad, north of 60 but casually dressed in a "Fantastic Four" baseball hat. Offering a rare glimpse of what's to come, Arad discusses a scene from the highly anticipated film that features a cameo by Lee, a legend in the comic book business and, not incidentally, the creator of the "FF" characters.

"He'll be the mailman," Arad continues. "It's interesting, because he looks the way it was drawn. Stan is a character ... initially he was supposed to say, 'Good morning, Mr. Richards,' and then he kept adding more words."

After "Fantastic Four," Lee will likely make his next cameo in "X-Men 3," which recently landed "Rush Hour" director Brett Ratner along with a release date of May 2006.

"I've never seen a reaction like that," Arad says of the Internet buzz that erupted after the casting of Kelsey Grammer as Beast was announced. He also confirms that Vinnie Jones (Bullet Tooth Tony from "Snatch") will play Juggernaut and that the cast from the first two movies are "all coming back." Regarding Jean Grey's possible evolution at the end of the last movie, however, Arad says, "Dark Phoenix should not be the centerpiece of the movie."

Arad will also oversee two spinoffs from the "X-Men" series: one about Magneto ("It's being written. It's going to be a smaller movie, [but] very true to the origin") and a "2007/2008" film with Wolverine ("Totally different, just Wolverine's journey"). The Magneto film will star an actor much younger than the one we're used to seeing, but that doesn't mean that the man who originated the role for the big screen is on the outs.

"I will always want Ian McKellen," Arad says. "There's no way for me to think of not walking into the story through him — through something happening now, and then going back there. Ian is an ambassador for this, and he needs to be there."

Next up is the August 2006 release of "Ghost Rider," the big-budget Nicolas Cage movie Arad refers to as a "morality tale." The film faces the huge challenge of making a fiery, murderous, flaming-skull-headed creature sympathetic to audiences. Arad says it will have a PG-13 rating and a "Southern rock" soundtrack and ethos, and that one scene will feature the motorcycle-riding protagonist facing the unlikely challenge of a tidal wave.

"I remember seeing 'The Perfect Storm,' how the whole wave was CGI. You're going to see something [similar] in 'Ghost Rider.' " While he reveals that Ghost Rider will, at some point, be entirely submerged, Arad vows that the infamous grinning skull will continue to flame on. "Nothing can extinguish it," he smiles. "It's hellfire."

Arad will then target "Spider-Man 3," due in theaters in May 2007. While insisting that rumors of a simultaneous third and fourth "Spider-Man" movie shoot are simply "not true," Arad did confirm that Dylan Baker will return for the third film — a noteworthy nugget for comic fans who recall that Baker's handicapped character, Dr. Curt Connors, went on to become Spider-Man nemesis the Lizard in the comic books. Although Thomas Haden Church and Topher Grace are set to play the main, as-yet-unnamed villains of the third film, the seeds are apparently being planted for Spidey to also someday take on a superhumanly strong, green-scaled monster.

And after Spidey's return? Well, this is when things begin to get a bit fuzzy in the Marvel production slate, but one thing is certain: The company will soon begin making its own movies. In a groundbreaking deal, Paramount will distribute up to 10 of those films, including "Captain America" and "Nick Fury."

"The Ant-Man is also in there, a 'Honey I Shrunk the Superhero' kind of story," Arad says. Dr. Strange is also in the works, as well as a movie version of Black Panther, "which is a big, big, big deal. When you say '10,' some of them may be sequels."

As for the comic book icon with the red, white and blue shield, Arad argues that, next to Spider-Man, "Captain America is the most famous character out there, by name. The biggest opportunity with him is as a man 'out of time,' coming back today — looking at our world through the eyes of someone who thought the perfect world was small-town America. Sixty years go by, and who are we today? Are we better?

"I have a writer," he says. "And I have someone in mind to be the star, and I definitely have someone in mind to be the director. This script is going to take a little bit of time, because it has to be a masterpiece. It's 'Back to the Future' kind of stuff."

Also in the mix is "Silver Surfer," an ambitious project that Arad insists will move along "pretty fast. Silver Surfer, from a spectacle standpoint, is second to none. It's 'Independence Day' meets Marvel, times 10." A major announcement about the film is due relatively soon.

"There is a director who should make 'Silver Surfer' — he is mentally committed to it. He's doing another movie now. What's most important to me about this guy, first, is that he's incredible with visuals. But he's also a spiritual guy, a Zen Buddhist." Arad also confirms that the enormous planet devourer Galactus will be in the movie, but chances are he'll be all-CGI. "Galactus is a force of nature, not a being. That's all I'm saying."

Other properties, meanwhile, have been taking long, circuitous routes to the screen. Arad says Marvel is "very close" to striking a deal for the long-discussed "Iron Man" movie. "It's been a war with [co-producers] New Line Cinema. I had a four-hour meeting with ['The Notebook' director] Nick Cassavetes in my house. If everything is cool, in the next few weeks there'll be an announcement about Nick writing it. Nick has a unique emotional attachment to Iron Man's alter ego, Tony Stark. Think about John [Cassavetes] and Nick, father and son — the father was a great visionary director, and here's the son, an actor and a writer and turned out to be a very gifted artist himself." The parallel with Iron Man/ Tony Stark, who in the comic books has issues dealing with the success of his own father, evidently pleased Arad.

As for a sequel to 2004's "The Punisher," Arad confirms that Jigsaw will be the villain and that, with the first movie, "blood and intestines should have been blown out on the wall, because that's the Punisher." He added that the sequel will be among a handful of Marvel films with an R rating.

" 'Punisher,' of course. Maybe 'Cloak and Dagger.' I think 'Shang Chi' we can do PG-13, and 'Iron Fist' maybe an R. 'Luke Cage,' I don't know. Big studio movie. We'll try and do PG-13."

Arad then speaks like a proud papa of films about Cage (John Singleton's directing; Jamie Foxx had been considered for Diamondback, who will definitely be the villain); Nick Fury ("I'm going back in time. I'm going back to the classic on this. It's about him; it's about SHIELD"); Thor ("We are feverishly working on Thor. It's a vast 'Lord of the Rings' sort of universe"); Deathlok ("There is an actor, a very big star, that we want to do it, and we'll talk to him within a month"); and Namor. Comparing the last film to "Jurassic Park," Arad says, "a lot of design work has been done on it. The script is gigantic."

Every movie appears to be accompanied by an anecdote, as with "The Black Widow." "It's going to be ['X-Men' writer] David Hayter's directorial debut. The script just came in, and we are doing what we always do with scripts — in this case, driving the writer/director crazy. David is very imaginative. Actually, his firstborn is named Natasha [Black Widow's human name is Natasha Romanov], so we think he is committed to the project."

Of course, there are plenty of Marvel superheroes currently in a state of superlimbo after audiences received their first film adventures with mixed responses.

"It's no secret, we took a lot of sh-- for Ang Lee's 'Hulk,' for all the wrong reasons," Arad says, insisting that "I had a meeting with Universal [a few] weeks ago. We are going to make a Diet Hulk." Comparing Hulk to the classic image of Frankenstein's monster as a creature with an almost childlike curiosity, Arad says, "In movie one, we couldn't get into the curiosity thing. Hulk having a butterfly land on his hand? He would never [smash it]. The Hulk would be curious. He is like a baby, in a way." He says the sequel will arrive in theaters "no later than 2007."

Arad also insists that he would love to make a second, darker "Daredevil" movie: "I would make it in a second, as soon as could I get the rights back. We licensed it. If they'll give us the rights back, we'll make the movie." And then, of course, there's Daredevil's girlfriend, for whom Arad wears a cautionary red Lance Armstrong-type bracelet on his wrist, reminding him of past mistakes.

"I think Elektra is on ice now," he admits somberly, before suggesting one way a sequel might return the character to her comic book roots: "If we could do her à la the 'Sin City' idea — whoa."

Arad says the recent reinvigoration of Batman and DC Comics' upcoming slate of Superman and Wonder Woman movies doesn't scare him. "You know what we are?" Arad says of his company. "We're the best storytellers you'll find. And to us, our characters are alive."

If Arad's store of ideas is anything to go by, it seems likely that Marvel will be telling cinematic stories for quite a few years to come.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Reefer Shark
06-21-2005, 11:05 PM
Wow.. that's a lot to take in.

I hope Thor and Silver Surfer really happen!!

Rocketboy
06-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Superherohype (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ghostridernews.php?id=3178) has the first pic of Ghost Rider.

Now that is how I'd always like to Nic Cage - ON FIRE!

Full image (http://rangerboard.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1397&fullsize=1)

evenflow
06-22-2005, 10:44 AM
That all sounds amazing and i really can't wait for it all. I am most excited for Silver Surfer and Thor. I am glad to hear that we will be getting a Punisher sequal. That all sounds so very amazing. I hope it all works out.

General_Grievous
06-23-2005, 01:17 PM
That Ghost Rider pic looks ridiculous. I think that movie will both bomb and suck. It's like "Elektra" and "Blade:Trinity". It's about a hero that nobody cares about. Plus, isn't Nicolas Cage too old to ride around on a motorcycle? He'll break a hip! :p

Sebulba_Fett
07-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Originally Posted by General_Grievous

I think that movie will both bomb and suck. It's like "Elektra" and "Blade:Trinity". It's about a hero that nobody cares about.

The only problem with your comparison is that (although Elektra did bad) the Blade movies did very well. It just goes to show that there is possibility for a lesser known character to be developed into a kickass movie. Just because a character is better known doesn't mean it translates into a better movie (a la Hulk).

General_Grievous
07-16-2005, 04:08 PM
I didn't say all three Blade movies bombed. I only said the last one did.

kool-aid killer
07-17-2005, 02:10 PM
Ive been hearing rumors about the next X-men movie, and if they are true i dont know if i will be seeing it. Wheres Jar Jar Binks when we need an update?

Rocketboy
07-17-2005, 11:31 PM
Do you mean the rumor that says 2 characters die, one loses his/her powers, and two X-Men get it on?
That's pretty much all I've heard in terms of story.

Slicker
07-18-2005, 02:59 AM
I'm already seeing movie posters at the movie theater for X3. It comes out May 26, 2006 in case you didn't know.

kool-aid killer
07-18-2005, 09:30 AM
Do you mean the rumor that says 2 characters die, one loses his/her powers, and two X-Men get it on?
That's pretty much all I've heard in terms of story.

No, ive heard of a new character being introduced, one that they are creating specifically for this movie. It sounds like a lame gameplan, im just hoping its nothing but BS. I would think that because the second movie is set up for Pheonix they would take it that way, it would be the most logical move, but the rumors make me wonder.

JimJamBonds
07-18-2005, 11:29 AM
Superherohype (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ghostridernews.php?id=3178) has the first pic of Ghost Rider.

Now that is how I'd always like to Nic Cage - ON FIRE!

Full image (http://rangerboard.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=1397&fullsize=1)

Wow, that is so crappy I can't belive it.

General_Grievous
07-18-2005, 01:02 PM
Why....why...why did Bryan Singer have to leave?

Sebulba_Fett
07-18-2005, 05:16 PM
Originally Posted by General_Grievous

I didn't say all three Blade movies bombed. I only said the last one did.

Thanks for the clarification!:D

mabudonicus
07-19-2005, 08:22 AM
RE- that ghostrider pic-
Hmmmm... is it a bad thing that a tiny, static image looks like bad CG work???
Could be...
And I can't recall who said it, but Ghostrider truly wasn't super popular as I recall- he kinda got a bunch of real short runs and sometimes had to be moved to really unlikely team-ups just to get face-time, I am as surprised that he got his own film as I was when I heard that Man Thing was getting a screen treatment (left out the "big" there)
And whatever happened to the "Sub MAriner" film that was supposedly going to be released in 2006-7 somewheres?? I haven't heard a lick about that one since I first saw it mentioned in an interview with Avi Arad last year??

Rocketboy
07-28-2005, 05:58 PM
SuperheroHype! (http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=3339)
Marvel's Slate From 2nd Quarter Report
Source: Marvel Enterprises, Inc.
July 28, 2005

While nothing new was revealed in Marvel's 2nd Quarter Webcast conference call, the company did update it's schedule which is as follows:

Marvel Character Feature Film Development Pipeline
X-Men 3, Fox - Script, Director, May 26, 2006 release
Ghost Rider, Sony - Filming completed, Slated for Summer 2006
The Punisher 2, Lions Gate - Writer, Director, Targeted for 2006
Spider-Man 3, Sony/Columbia - Director, May 4, 2007 release
Namor, Universal Pictures - Script, Targeted for 2007
Iron Man, New Line Cinema - TBD
Luke Cage, Sony/Columbia - TBD
Deathlok, Paramount - TBD
The Hulk 2, Universal Pictures - TBD
Wolverine, Fox - TBD

Marvel Character Feature Film Projects in Development
Ant-Man, Black Panther, Captain America, Killraven, Nick Fury, Silver
Surfer and Thor

Marvel Character Animated Direct-to-Video Projects in Development
Partnership with Lions Gate to develop, produce and distribute original animated DVD features. Four projects in 2D/3D format are in development with the first release slated for 2006. Titles include: The Avengers 1, The Avengers 2, Iron Man and Dr. Strange.

Marvel Character Animated TV Projects in Development
Partnership with Antefilms Distribution to produce an original animated television series based on the Fantastic Four. Twenty-six, 30-minute 2D/3D animated episodes are planned with initial TV airings in 2006.

Marvel Character Live Action TV Projects in Development
Brother Voodoo.

2005 Video Game Release Schedule
Activision:
Spider-Man & Friends - Q1 2005
Fantastic Four - Q2 2005
Ultimate Spider-Man - Q3 2005
X-Men Legends II - Q4 2005

Electronic Arts:
Marvel versus EA - Q4 2005

THQ Inc:
Punisher - Q1 2005

Vivendi Universal
Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - Q3 2005They left off the upcoming live action Blade tv series.

Rocketboy
05-24-2006, 09:01 AM
Jon Favreau on Iron Man

MTV (http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1532303/story.jhtml) talked to Iron Man director (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#) Jon Favreau, who gave some interesting quotes. Here are a few of them about the movie (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#):

"It's the first movie Marvel (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#) is self-financing," he said of a new deal that frees the makers of the "Spider-Man" and "X-Men (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#)" movies (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#) from studio control. "We're set to come out in the summer of '08, and we'll start shooting in January."

"We're gonna have it take place in the present day, but there will be an origin story that has the old, gray Iron Man suit; eventually it will progress into more of the modern look," Favreau said. "That's the fun of doing the first one."

"The alcoholism doesn't come into play until later on in the story of Iron Man," he said. "[The comic] started off in the '60s, where it was about him as a successful manufacturer who developed this suit. Then, later, it spins off into that story about him fighting against himself. I think we're going to lay the groundwork for it, but the first one's going to explore (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#) him taking on this alter ego of Iron Man, and developing the suit, and what happens politically within the Stark Corporation."

Mentioning an eventual "Iron Man 2," Favreau said that actor playing Tony Stark for his franchise is unlikely to be a major star (Tom Cruise was briefly attached to the role years ago). Instead, the director hopes to announce his discovery (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289#) of a relative unknown from the Brandon Routh ("Superman Returns") mold later this year.http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4289

JediTricks
05-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Seems like Iron Man is a hard movie concept to sell, cinematically I don't see how there's going to be much to show him doing in the short time of 2 hours. I'm not way into the comics though so maybe I'm wrong, but Iron Man always seemed like a hero in search of a cause.

Take this from the wikipedia entry on Iron Man:

Iron Man was originally an anti-communist hero. Throughout the character’s comic book series, technological advancement and national defense were constant themes, but later issues developed Stark into a more complex and vulnerable character as they depicted his battle with alcoholism and other personal difficulties.

Writers often portray Iron Man as a symbol of humanity's creativity as well as its frailties. He is often placed in contrast with his close friends Captain America and Thor, the former as a comparison between interventionist and cooperative attitudes, and the latter comparing science and the supernatural. Throughout most of his career, Iron Man has been a member of the superhero team the Avengers, and has been featured in several incarnations of his own various comic-book series.No more commies to fight, overall national defense doesn't really seem like a something they can cram into a film, they don't want to get too personal, and there's no Avengers to set his tale in contrast with.

mabudonicus
05-25-2006, 10:32 AM
Being a pretty big fan of ol Shellhead, I really don't see a problem with a film, the analysis from wiki doesn't actually cover the character from an in-depth perspective

Iron Man had a pretty perfect setup, really. He has the dual identity thing, he runs a massive international company which makes some WEIRD technological stuff, he's a rich jet-setting playboy AND he's just a plain dude looking for love and happiness amidst all this stuff

Plus he has a ROCKIN suit. At his best, he is kinda like an invincible spiderman who is rich too. Depending on which era of the characterthey run with, he could be either a global mega-hero OR a conflicted fellow who is not even sure who he really is...

The FF movie, actually, is a good reference- Reed and Doom in that film were basically two halves of Tony Stark (which made NO sense in that film but it's true anyways) and so a plot like that could even be pulled off, with "doom" being Iron Man (there was a pretty long story arc where someone took over the controls of the Iron Man suit remotely and made him kill a visiting diplomat on national TV, this plot would work well for a second film but not so much for the first since the suit gets impounded and then Tony has some issues when the power of the suit is required but he is legally bound to avoid donning it)

So really, of all the heroes so far movie-ized, Iron Man is pretty much the most fluid one there is, even his origin is not a real contentious, "gotta get it just right" issue, basically just "man builds suit for heart problems, decides to add some gadgets", even the "anguish" that gets referenced isn't all THAT important if the writer didn't want to make it so

and yes, I also have a basic script for IM in my head, I bet the real film will not be as good tho :beard:

James Boba Fettfield
05-25-2006, 11:15 AM
And how many scripts do you have written for Dick and Lovecraft inspired films?

Rocketboy
05-25-2006, 11:26 AM
Iron Man had a pretty perfect setup, really. He has the dual identity thing, he runs a massive international company which makes some WEIRD technological stuff, he's a rich jet-setting playboy AND he's just a plain dude looking for love and happiness amidst all this stuffPlus he has that killer Burt Reynolds-esque mustache.
:beard: (close enough)

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 04:33 PM
Mabs, you do know that your expectations will be dashed to bits with the Iron Man movie, right? :p

jjreason
05-25-2006, 11:28 PM
It all depends on the cast and direction - same as any movie. I would like to see Tony win a struggle with the bottle, and have to battle Titanium Man and Obadiah Stane armor vs. armor (vs. armor!!!!!).

I think an origin twist that would work well with current events would be to have him involved with the government somehow (National Defense contractor/developer), and survive an assassination attempt. The attempt (of course put out by rival Stane and executed by Titanium Man), would occur while Tony was testing out the suit, and would result in him needing it to stay alive. His dependency on his technology, and obsession over "avenging" himself (sorry) costs him the girl he loves (Pepper Potts?), which sends him towards the booze. The broken heart/booze/millionaire combo propels him into playboy-hood.

Time passes, Tony pimps out the suit and figures out who tried to have him whacked. Cue the fight scenes and roll the credits. Oh, and could we have at least 2 Asian hotties for this one? Thanks. :thumbsup:

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 11:33 PM
Your expectations are too high, that's why I said what I said earlier, no comic movie has lived up to everything, even Batman Begins had Katie Holmes. :p They said he won't be an alcoholic and I can't imagine them doing armor vs armor in the first film, they'd be afraid of confusing the audience.

jjreason
05-25-2006, 11:48 PM
Man, "first film" is pretty out there, JT. My thought on comic movies (other than the big 4 - Superman, Spidey, Batman, X-Men) is "make ONE good one". If it's good enough, people will want more. If it's not, at least you did your best. Iron Man fits this bill to me - as did Hulk, as did FF - and it didn't appear that they were making either of those 2 with any guarantee of a sequel. They should approach Iron Man the same way, and get right to the good stuff.

JediTricks
05-25-2006, 11:57 PM
You're using Hulk and Fantastic Four as your examples? These are comic movies that the general audience didn't care for that much and a lot of comic fans dumped on.

Oh, I see what you're saying, you took my comment "first film" to mean they're making a movie meant to start a franchise, that's not what I meant though, I just meant "in the first film about Iron Man".

jjreason
05-26-2006, 12:03 AM
Copy that. I did think you were suggesting they'd make the first movie with expectations of doing a second - all I was saying is that they're better off blowing out as many of the "good ideas" as they can the first time around. I can see why people dumped on both the Hulk and FF, but they both had a generous amount of good stuff to watch in them (Hulk punching a radiated dog in the groin, Ben Grimm's big rubber suit, Hulk trashing the lab after his first transformation... and who could forget Jessica Alba in her delicates on the bridge????).

For me, Daredevil was the worst one they've done - but at least they tried. They used a lot of the really good source material, it just wasn't carried off to my tastes.

mabudonicus
05-26-2006, 07:47 AM
And how many scripts do you have written for Dick and Lovecraft inspired films?
Only 2 for lovecraft so far, with 2 others in my mind- PK Dick's stuff is too hard to even think about shooting

Mabs, you do know that your expectations will be dashed to bits with the Iron Man movie, right?

Oh yes, I imagine it'll be pretty bad- likely lots of flashbacks to him being abused as a child and prolly him turing "eeeevil" like batman when he dons the suit, which likely will turn out to be some sort of alien creature :beard:

My film actually would begin with Iron Man totally defeated and chained up by the Living Laser- the first line (prolly still in front of a black screen) would be "you're DOOMED, Iron Man!!!" and it'd get a LOT more exciting from there, he'd end up fighting at LEAST 3 lower tier villains (lower tier for Iron Man, which means still really exciting and powerful)

And as to the comments about not having a suit-on-suit clash- almost NO way to avoid it, unless the frightening choice of (in terms of how stupid they could make the character if they really tried- bullseye would no doubt look like a "faithful representation compared to-) Mandarin got used

I think if Iron Monger or maybe even the Crimson Dynamo were the baddie, there could be enough differences, especially since both of them were more powered armour and less "suits" plus they are totally different colours ;) (the smiley shwoing I KNOW how silly that logic is, despite its veracity)

I would actually prefer the Dynamo as a "red herring" (pun intended) who is played up a lot but ends up actually fighting alongside Iron Man, which would also be a sort of Marvel "end-of-the-cold-war" type thing

But I fully expect it to suck rocks :beard:

Rocketboy
05-27-2006, 01:07 AM
Avi Arad on Spidey 3, FF2 and the Hulk Sequel
May 26, 2006

'Kevin Roegele' tells Superhero Hype! that Marvel (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#) Studios' Avi Arad revealed some new bits to Empire magazine:

Avi Arad talks about future Marvel movies in the latest issue of Empire magazine. The article confirms not only that Galactus and the Silver Surfer are odds on to appear in FF2, but that the Hulk (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#) sequel in 2008 will be titled The Incredible Hulk (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#).

Here is everything he says:

Spider-Man 3

"This is definetly a '3' in terms of scale. Movie (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#) one was origin, movie two was, 'I cannot do it anymore,' and movie three is, 'I'm powerful, what does that do to me?"

Regarding Venom: "I don't know about Venom, I know about Topher Grace!....The black suit is a metaphor for Spidey's mental state. In Spider-Man 2 we wanted him to put the suit back on; here we'll want him to take it off. He cannot be the Peter we want him to be unless he takes the suit off...."

Fantastic Four (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#) 2

"It's a couple of years later and we get to see what their life is like. What else is there for them to accomplish, what issues are in their lives, where's Doom?"

Regarding Galactus: "They'll be some pretty big surprises. What we're trying to do is not to show him, but to show someone else, initially."

Hulk (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#) 2 aka The Incredible Hulk (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298#)

"It's still a study in anger. It's more a love story between Bruce and Betty. It has the feel of The Fugitive, and Bruce is on a mission to get rid of the Hulk. When you see the Abomination, you'll see something really special.http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4298

mabudonicus
05-27-2006, 01:36 AM
When you see the Abomination, you'll see something really special.
MAN there are so many jokes in there.....

I mean one could quip "But I saw that awful first movie, and I wouldn't exactly call it special" :beard:

Or one could simply riff on the insane stupidity of the actual statement itself....

really "SPECIAL?!?!?!?"
That's another 12 bucks saved I guess :beard:

JediTricks
05-28-2006, 03:40 AM
FF2 = Silver Surfer?!? I honestly don't think there's a character that cinema can really do justice with, between the short amount of time we get to know him and the limited scope of what they can do with him...

Rocketboy
05-31-2006, 11:05 AM
Maybe this should be in the X-Men thread...but oh well.

Bruno Confirms McKellen in Magneto

'Antony' tells us he got to chat with X-Men: The Last Stand visual effects supervisor John Bruno about both Magneto and Fantastic Four (http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=4316#) 2:

I didn't know if you were interested but I can confirm that Ian McKellen (http://www.superherohype.com/news/x-mennews.php?id=4316#) will be playing Magneto in the prequel. I was told this by John Bruno at a screening of X3. The company who worked on X3 to deage them is also going to be doing the Mags prequel. According to John, Ian is really excited.

I was lucky enough to spend nearly 2 hrs alone with him asking all sorts of stuff... by the way Silver Surfer is also in FF2.

Rocketboy
06-05-2006, 10:14 PM
As of today, it seems to be "Fantastic Four: The Next Chapter", according to a Fox Australia Media Schedule, dispatched to local film (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4339#) hounds this morning.http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4339

Hopefully, that is just a working title.

Slicker
06-06-2006, 07:22 AM
The next chapter? That's quite original. I wonder how long it took them to think of that one?!

If only LFL had been that thoughtful. Star Wars Episode I: The First of Three Prequels.

darthvyn
06-06-2006, 08:55 AM
holy crap, that's lame... what, was "a very fantastic four sequel" taken?

Phantom-like Menace
06-06-2006, 10:39 AM
IGN FilmForce has been informed that the live-action feature film version of Marvel Comics' Black Widow (http://filmforce.ign.com/objects/040/040995.html) has been dropped by Lionsgate. The studio was said to have let the project go due to the less than stellar box office results for other recent female-driven action films. (Ultraviolet and Aeon Flux perhaps?)

I really hate studio executives. I love when they take bad movies, and after intensive investigaton, come up with an arbitrary reason for them to have done poorly. Yes, we're upset by the fact that a woman is involved in an action role. I know I'll watch any action movie as long as there is a male main character. It has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the plot sucks. When they cancel whole movies based on that nonsense, it really makes me shake my head.

Rocketboy
07-02-2006, 06:05 PM
Fantastic Four 2 synopsis and title.

There was some confusion after photos from the New York Licensing Show popped up online that showed a promo poster with the title “Fantastic Four and the Silver Surfer.” Was this the official title of the FANTASTIC FOUR 2 or just something used to promote the fact that Silver Surfer would, indeed, be appearing in the film? Well I’m here to lay to rest any debate. Fox has officially titled the film FANTASTIC FOUR AND THE SILVER SURFER. Not good enough for ya? How about an exclusive look at the official plot synopsis to give you an idea of what you have to look forward to:
Marvel’s first family of superheroes, The Fantastic Four, meets their greatest challenge yet in FANTASTIC FOUR AND THE SILVER SURFER as the enigmatic, intergalactic herald, The Silver Surfer, comes to Earth to prepare it for destruction. As the Silver Surfer races around the globe wreaking havoc, Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben must unravel the mystery of the Silver Surfer and confront the surprising return of their mortal enemy, Dr. Doom, before all hope is lost.
http://www.filmwad.com/ff2-plot-synopsis--565-p.html

JediTricks
07-02-2006, 06:43 PM
Oh man does that ever suck. It's like those DVDs where they take 3 episodes of a cartoon, edit them together and call them a "direct to video movie". This is going to be very very very bad.

Rocketboy
07-04-2006, 10:42 AM
No real surprise in this day and age of CG:

Who Will Play The Silver Surfer?

Who will play The Silver Surfer in the Fantastic Four (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15246#) sequel, appropriately titled Fantastic Four and The Silver Surfer (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=11660)? It appears that an actor (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15246#) might not even be necessary.

Moviehole (http://www.moviehole.net/news/20060704_who_is_playing_the_silver_surf.html) talked to director (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15246#) Tim Story, who revealed a new bit on the character. "The Surfer will be a new CGI design being developed especially for the movie. It's going to be incredible."

20th Century Fox (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15246#) has scheduled a June 15 release for the follow-up, which again features Michael Chiklis, Ioan Gruffudd, Chris Evans, Jessica Alba (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15246#) and Julian McMahon.http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=15246

JediTricks
07-04-2006, 04:00 PM
Digital actor will probably emote better than the real ones they've got. :D

darko666
07-04-2006, 06:49 PM
isn't Galactus supposed to be in the new FF movie? this seems like the only reason the Silver Surfer is in the movie, since he agreed to serve as herald to Galactus in the comics. but it's good to hear he is CG, rather than a silver painted actor.

mabudonicus
07-05-2006, 10:14 AM
Sounds like they've decided to go even further afield with their truly insulting re-interpretation of Doom, and now the Surfer is Dooms Harald ;)
sounds like a flaming Crock- and what's the deal with the surfer flying about spreading destruction??? that doesn't make any sense- I HOPE it's a red herring, but I have a stupid feeling they decided that the noble surfer wasn't "Dark" enough

there's another 10 bucks I'm saving next year :beard:

El Chuxter
07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
Hopefully, the Silver Surfer will make weird cracks about how cheese will be outlawed when Doom is king, and how there will be a Ben Affleck clone in every house. Oh, and Doom definitely needs googly eyes.

mabudonicus
07-06-2006, 08:30 AM
I am not joking when I say this- Chux is right, the ONLY way that a return of the Stupid character that is supposedly Doctor Doom in the FF franchise would be palatable is if he were indeed the google-eyed jerk that is familiar to but a select few of us :beard:

They could also get off cheaper by using whole segments of footage from Howard the Duck, and could cut corners even further by using a real, trained bear for the Cheese Police and just compositing several shots into one to make it sem as if there are lots of them

Who plays Flornbi?? that's all we'd need to complete the project :beard:

El Chuxter
07-06-2006, 09:28 AM
Who plays Flornbi?? that's all we'd need to complete the project :beard:

Who else? Rupert Grint!

Although I hear Carrot Top may make an appearance as Flornbi of the future.

Rocketboy
07-06-2006, 10:08 PM
According to IMDB, Slicker's Mom has just been cast as Galactus.

General_Grievous
07-13-2006, 09:59 PM
You know what I was thinking? Why haven't they tried to bring Captain America to the big screen? I know they tried some 15 years ago and failed, but why would they have a Ghost Rider movie before Captain America?

Rocketboy
07-13-2006, 11:53 PM
There are...eventually. It seems to be stuck in development hell.
Also, I think Marvel is aiming to do it themselves.

Hellboy
07-14-2006, 12:13 AM
You know what I was thinking? Why haven't they tried to bring Captain America to the big screen?

Because that costume would look ridiculous on a real person. :silly:

Phantom-like Menace
07-14-2006, 12:25 AM
Yep, Captain America is on the list of roughly a million movies Marvel is looking to crank out by 2009.

Avi Arad's IMDB page makes me cry.
http://imdb.com/name/nm0032696/

I assume he either wants the money ASAP and doesn't care about the quality or he figures comic book movies are just the current fad and they have to cash in now or never. I suppose I could be a little less cynical and assume he believes the comic lore of these characters is so strong that great movies can be made in short order, but I don't think anyone is stupid enough to assume that.

Can anyone say oversaturation? Six movies in 2007. Five in 2008. Didn't they learn from oversaturation of comics in the nineties? I really hate studio executives.

Also, Werewolf by Night? Shang-chi? I had to look up Shang-chi and I still don't really know who he is.

Rocketboy
07-14-2006, 12:29 AM
I'm guessing/hoping that many of these will be similar to Man-Thing - straight to DVD and nobody sees them.

General_Grievous
07-14-2006, 12:44 AM
Because that costume would look ridiculous on a real person. :silly:
Not if they use the Ultimate Cap design. Besides, they can't make any Marvel film character look more ridiculous than Colin Farrell as Bullseye in "Daredevil".

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 05:13 PM
IMO, Cap is not a particularly cinematic character, his early incarnation is a 1-dimensional Nazi-killin' machine while his later incarnation is brooding and disillusioned and not really sure of how he fits into the modern world and doesn't like getting played by politics - how do you tell THAT story in just 2 hours, and how do you tell the political aspects without ****ing off half the country or coming off watered down? And I don't think the Ultimate Cap version is really worth delving into, from what I've read about that.

El Chuxter
07-14-2006, 06:39 PM
Nothing Ultimate is worth delving into.

JediTricks
07-14-2006, 06:55 PM
Nothing Ultimate is worth delving into.
Sam Raimi disagrees with you by using the Ultimate versions of Eddie Brock and Venom in Spider-Man 3. :p

Phantom-like Menace
07-15-2006, 12:13 AM
Sam Raimi disagrees with you by using the Ultimate versions of Eddie Brock and Venom in Spider-Man 3. :p

Yep, the Ultimate Universe is the go to place for adding slightly more realism to Marvel movies.

Your points on Captain America are well taken. I almost imagine they would have to set Captain America's movie in WWII with his ambivalence mixed in slightly as it applies to war in general but necessarily the particular "good war" that was WWII. Otherwise I could see them going the M.A.S.H. route, having Cap revived for the Vietnam war after being recovered from the North Atlantic and letting the Vietnam War comment on current political situations much as the Korean War stood in for Vietnam War sentiment in M.A.S.H. I would be very surprised if a Captain American movie were set in current times and touched on current events.

Rocketboy
07-22-2006, 11:40 PM
Villains Galore at Comic-Con!

Iron Man Villain Confirmed!!

Iron Man (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=7415) director (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551#) Jon Favreau (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551#) confirmed at the San Diego Comic-Con on Saturday that the villain in the movie (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551#) will be fan-favorite Mandarin!

The Mandarin is one of the world's greatest scientific geniuses who is seeking world domination. Although The Mandarin has no superhuman powers, he is a superb athlete with tremendous skill in the various (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551#) martial arts. For weapons, he uses ten rings he wears on his fingers that respond to his mental commands.

Marvel Studios has set a May 2, 2008 release date for Iron Man (http://www.comingsoon.net/films.php?id=7415). Paramount Pictures (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551#) will distribute the film (http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551#)http://www.superherohype.com/news/ironmannews.php?id=4551

Abomination Officially The Incredible Hulk Villain
Even though former Marvel Studios chief executive Avi Arad let the cat out of the bag earlier this year, The Incredible Hulk (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4549#) director (http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4549#) Louis Leterrier made it official today at the San Diego Comic-Con that Abomination will indeed be the villain for the follow-up.

"He's capable of amazing feats," Arad said previously, describing the former Yugoslav spy who has mutated into a 980-pound freak of terrifying strength and unpleasant demeanor.http://www.superherohype.com/news/hulknews.php?id=4549

And one that could (maybe) please Mabs a bit...

Tim Story Gives Fantastic Four Sequel Update
Fantastic Four (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4550#) sequel director (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4550#) Tim Story has posted another update on his official Blog (http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=39658614&blogID=147423893&MyToken=bef5d5a6-5577-43ff-8fe0-abe8f3388cef) in which he gives an update on what's happening:

I am busy working away at all the concept art and most recently the design for Doom. I saw the maquette today of what the improved Doom will look like and he's everything I 've wanted him to be. Many have stated their disappointment with the lack of "evil" ness in the last movie (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4550#) and I'd be lying if I said I was able to do everything I set out to do, but this time, there will be the plotting and the fighting and technology. He's just as smart as Reed, or as he would say, smarter and I'm going to represent that in the movie big time. Julian is on board and wants to have just as much fun in making him "that villian" we all know and love, or should I say hate. I'm wrestling (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4550#) right now with the cape issue and trying to have it but not let it get in the way of him fighting. He's not going to just shoot beams of power this time. He goes toe to toe with a really big surprise.

My 2nd Unit director Ej Forrester was showing me storyboards on a sequence we have in the movie that involves Doom, and we're determined to have him blowing up ****! Wait until you see the mask! The armor!http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4550

Rocketboy
08-16-2006, 11:51 PM
Fantastic Four Sequel Title Change

20th Century Fox has confirmed to Superhero Hype! that the Fantastic Four (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4645#) sequel has a new name - Fantastic Four: Rise of The Silver Surfer. The movie (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4645#) was previously known as Fantastic Four and The Silver Surfer. The second film (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4645#), directed by Tim Story, is set to hit theaters on June 15, 2007.

In the sequel, the enigmatic, intergalactic herald, The Silver Surfer, comes to Earth to prepare it for destruction. As the Silver Surfer races around the globe wreaking havoc, Reed, Sue, Johnny and Ben must unravel the mystery of The Silver Surfer and confront the surprising return of their mortal enemy, Dr. Doom, before all hope is lost.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=4645

Rocketboy
12-21-2006, 09:35 PM
Jon Favreau's Iron Man (http://www.ironmanmovie.com/) has an official site, but there isn't anything but a logo so far.

The Siver Surfer has been revealed. A better pic is expected soon and the the teaser trailer to FF2 should be on A Night at the Museum.

JediTricks
12-22-2006, 05:06 PM
Ack! CGI attack!

El Chuxter
12-22-2006, 06:41 PM
That's a nice concept painting. I can't wait to see what he looks like in the movie!

BanthaPoodoo
12-26-2006, 06:08 PM
Trailer is up & boy does it look sweet!!!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox/fantasticfourriseofthesilversurfer/

El Chuxter
12-26-2006, 07:59 PM
Looks not as lousy as the first did, though the CG is far from perfect. This is clearly playing up SS's appearance rather than giving any real info, much the opposite of the apparent strategy with Venom in the Spidey 3 marketing. (I guess they have to give most of the moviegoers reason to believe this one won't be a waste of money.)

And, unless I'm mistaken, ol' Norrin picked up a few new powers. (Okay, so he does have The Power Cosmic, which should theoretically make him super-duper-mega-powerful, but I ain't never seen him do some of that stuff in the funny books.)

JediTricks
12-26-2006, 09:53 PM
It looked alright, a bit too heavy on the CGI use, and I personally feel the surfer is TOO silver there to the point where he looked more black than silver and more like a cheap CGI after-effect. The one thing that really annoyed me was Silver Surfer phasing through everything, I've found evidence that this is a power he's used in the past on rare occasion, but it's hardly a signature ability so it seems really out of place to use it so heavily in the trailer. It's not a bad trailer but I think they spent not enough time explaining (through dialogue or visually) how they got to what we see at the end of the trailer.

I think Jessica Alba's eating disorder is starting to take a toll on her looks, that's too bad.

Rocketboy
12-27-2006, 12:12 AM
I liked the trailer, but the CG does look a bit rough on the Surfer though.
It reminded me of the T-1000.

Blue2th
12-27-2006, 01:56 AM
So what did the Silver Surfer do to the Human Torch in that scene to make him lose his powers? Doesn't look like they were fighting. What'd he do kiss him?

JediTricks
12-27-2006, 02:54 AM
So what did the Silver Surfer do to the Human Torch in that scene to make him lose his powers? Doesn't look like they were fighting. What'd he do kiss him?See? I told you guys it wasn't obvious enough! Somehow, the Surfer grabs Johnny and flies him into space, since space is a vacuum there's no oxygen to ignite his flame, so the Human Torch extinguishes and passes out.

El Chuxter
12-27-2006, 02:58 PM
It was clear to me.

Rocketboy
12-27-2006, 11:31 PM
Yep, me too.

Phantom-like Menace
12-28-2006, 12:03 AM
It didn't take too much noodling for me either. It really seemed kind of cruel. You've got Human Torch playfully enjoying the chase, like a cat following a string, then the Surfer pretty much goes for the nuclear option, grabbing him by the throat, extinguishing his flame in the vacuum of near space and dropping him.

It was pretty cool, though. There are so many ways to screw up Galactus, but I'm happy with the look of the Surfer.

darthvyn
12-28-2006, 12:43 PM
Yep, me too.

ditto.

i thought it looked pretty freakin' good... the first one was fun, but not really on par with anything other than "the punisher" or "catwoman"...

i'll catch this one in the theater, though.

JediTricks
12-29-2006, 05:41 PM
i thought it looked pretty freakin' good... the first one was fun, but not really on par with anything other than "the punisher" or "catwoman"... Aiming high with that praise, huh? :D

El Chuxter
01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Y'know what occurred to me this morning?

In the Iron Man film, Mandarin should be played by Chow Yun Fat.

Yeah, that'd be sweet. Maybe sweet enough to save this surefire bomb.

General_Grievous
02-16-2007, 10:48 AM
Well, Ghost Rider comes out today. I think I'm going to check it out. From the previews, it doesn't actually look that bad, but I've been wrong before.

mabudonicus
02-16-2007, 12:22 PM
I think someone else here already pointed this out, but Ghost Rider could actually be a decent (NOT "Awesome" but who knows) film, due simply to the fact that Ghost Rider is NOT the iconic character that a batman, superman or spiderman is. Ghost Rider is a pretty much tangential-to-the-Universe character and (with from what I know being a comics-of-old reader) has at best casual fans- as long as they have a motorcycle rider who somehow gets a flaming motorbike and flaming skull/head, the rest can be however it hasto be to keep the film moving

From the ads I've seen, it appears like it's getting a good light treatment, not like that pathetic psychological thriller that was The Hulk (still got a pocketful o' slaps waiting here btw...)

I am actually kinda lookin forward to seeing this, as a proper "fun" comic movie- we won't have to endure ANY drawn-out "blubbering" scenes, and Cage has a funny kind of smirk on his face which, if the film is "irreverent" enough, might actually work real well

Here's Hopin, please post any comments here as the film is viewed, I'm interested in seeing if I'm barkin up the right tree with my guesses :beard: :mebs: Isobaws&

General_Grievous
02-16-2007, 01:14 PM
From the previews, it seems like they're advertising it as the next Spider-Man.

El Chuxter
02-16-2007, 01:49 PM
The critical reviews are almost entirely of the opinion that it's even more rancid than it looks.

Sad, really. Ghost Rider (the character) is one of the best. If they'd gotten a decent director, and based this on the Danny Ketch GR instead of the Johnny Blaze GR, it could've been a gem.

2-1B
02-16-2007, 05:33 PM
I might go see Young Hannibal on Sunday and sneak into Ghost Rider afterward...not sure. :D

General_Grievous
02-16-2007, 06:05 PM
Just got back from seeing it. I actually liked it up until the last 10 minutes. That final showdown between Ghost Rider and Blackheart was lame. But aside from that, I don't have any complaints. It was just a mindless popcorn movie, and I was okay with that. Eva Mendes's cleavage helped, too. :beard: Nic Cage was okay as Johnny Blaze, but the best parts of the movie were seeing Ghost Rider in action. Final verdict? It was an average movie, but good for a B-list Marvel character.

2-1B
02-16-2007, 06:13 PM
I'm expecting Sam Elliot to be the best part.

Oh, and I expect to see those GR figures on clearance soon enough.

plasticfetish
02-16-2007, 07:08 PM
I'll be peepin' it Monday afternoon. The kid's off school and that's our plan for the day. I have no expectations (other than the fact that Nic Cage's face cracks me up), so if it's decent at all, I'll be happy. No doubt the kid will dig it.

General_Grievous
02-16-2007, 08:00 PM
I'm expecting Sam Elliot to be the best part.

Yeah, he owned the movie pretty much. Kind of like what Ian McKellen did for X2, Sam Elliott does for Ghost Rider, but on a much smaller level.

JediTricks
02-17-2007, 06:09 AM
Just got back from seeing it. I actually liked it up until the last 10 minutes. That final showdown between Ghost Rider and Blackheart was lame. But aside from that, I don't have any complaints. It was just a mindless popcorn movie, and I was okay with that. Eva Mendes's cleavage helped, too. :beard: Nic Cage was okay as Johnny Blaze, but the best parts of the movie were seeing Ghost Rider in action. Final verdict? It was an average movie, but good for a B-list Marvel character.Sounds like the standard for Marvel movies that aren't X-men or Spider-man. I wonder why Marvel doesn't aim higher anymore.

mabudonicus
02-17-2007, 09:09 AM
Sam Elliot plays Lincoln Slade in the film, or is that just me??

Thanks for the review, I'm, hopin there's a few little nods to the late silver-age Marvelites like myself, and lookin forward to some more reviews :beard:Isobaws&

General_Grievous
02-17-2007, 09:37 AM
Sounds like the standard for Marvel movies that aren't X-men or Spider-man. I wonder why Marvel doesn't aim higher anymore.

Well they seem like they could be aiming a little higher with "Fantastic Four 2", judging from the trailer, but that's just a guess.

Rocketboy
02-18-2007, 02:58 AM
Good God, what a horrid piece of sh*t!
Ghost Rider may very well be worse than Elektra!

The casting was garbage. Cage sleepwalks through every scene as he does in every other movie he's in. Overacting bad guys. Sam Elliot is wasted. And when you hire a love interest, make sure she can act at least a little (and make sure the chick that plays her when she's young isn't waaaay hotter).
Bad acting all around (even Sam Elliot).

Really lame villians. Hey the early 90's called - they've looking for you. And shouldn't the Devil be all evil and creepy?
"Oooh look at Manytesticles (or whatever), he's the son of the devil, let's make him all pale and Gothlike! And let's give him three lamer buddies for Ghost Rider to dispose of really quickly!"

Every set looked like it was made in someone's garage, espeically the swamp scene...which was in the middle of the desert. Yeahbutwhat?

Humor. WTF? WHY? It's Ghost Rider, it's about evil and the forces of Hell! And I didn't read many GR comics, but I don't remember him laughing like an idiot for no apparent reason.

At least GR himself looked cool and Nic Cage's head melted.

All in all, I'll sum Ghost Rider up in 2 words:
Flaming Turd.

mabudonicus
02-18-2007, 09:23 AM
so, was there anything in the film that would make you not recommend it, RB???

This might sound stupid (but won't surprise many folks) but that review actually makes me want to see the film even more :beard: Isobaws&

2-1B
02-18-2007, 10:11 AM
I don't think Sam Elliot is capable of bad acting. :grin:

DarthBrandon
02-18-2007, 12:09 PM
Good God, what a horrid piece of sh*t!

The casting was garbage. Cage sleepwalks through every scene as he does in every other movie he's in. Overacting bad guys. Sam Elliot is wasted. And when you hire a love interest, make sure she can act at least a little (and make sure the chick that plays her when she's young isn't waaaay hotter).
Bad acting all around (even Sam Elliot).

Really lame villians. Hey the early 90's called - they've looking for you. And shouldn't the Devil be all evil and creepy?
"Oooh look at Manytesticles (or whatever), he's the son of the devil, let's make him all pale and Gothlike! And let's give him three lamer buddies for Ghost Rider to dispose of really quickly!"

Every set looked like it was made in someone's garage, espeically the swamp scene...which was in the middle of the desert. Yeahbutwhat?

Humor. WTF? WHY? It's Ghost Rider, it's about evil and the forces of Hell! And I didn't read many GR comics, but I don't remember him laughing like an idiot for no apparent reason.

At least GR himself looked cool and Nic Cage's head melted.

All in all, I'll sum Ghost Rider up in 2 words:
Flaming Turd.

I took my son to see this yesterday & we thought it was great, I read the comics when I was a kid & I always remember Ghost Rider with his cackle & flaming chain. For a pop corn movie it was just that, if your looking for superb acting you may want to try something like Crash or Million Dollar Baby. I personally do not like Cage period, but he did well enough in Ghost Rider for me to like it, & in the comics I do remember some cheesy comedy there as well.

As for the Hot younger girlfriend of Johnny Blaze, well it's just that; she was younger & hotter back then. Most women do not become hotter in their 40's than they were in their 20's, just doesn't happen without a good plastic surgeon. I also agree that Sam Elliot isn't capable of bad acting. :D My son loved it & I thought it was good, better than than F4, Hulk, DD, Electra, Superman Returns & even the Punisher.

Rocketboy
02-18-2007, 04:35 PM
if your looking for superb acting you may want to try something like Crash or Million Dollar Baby.I didn't expect Oscar caliber acting, but this was easily the worst acted comic film since Captain America.

I personally do not like Cage period,I loathe him and I went in with low expectations, expecting it to sub-par, and I was still disappointed.

As for the Hot younger girlfriend of Johnny Blaze, well it's just that; she was younger & hotter back then. Most women do not become hotter in their 40's than they were in their 20's, just doesn't happen without a good plastic surgeon.But that's the problem: I kept wishing they had stayed with the younger versions of the characters. They real stars shouldn't look like Chuds compared to the earlier versions.

I thought it was good, better than than F4, Hulk, DD, Electra, Superman Returns & even the Punisher.:shocked: Blasphemy!

DarthBrandon
02-18-2007, 05:17 PM
I didn't expect Oscar caliber acting, but this was easily the worst acted comic film since Captain America.

I loathe him and I went in with low expectations, expecting it to sub-par, and I was still disappointed.

But that's the problem: I kept wishing they had stayed with the younger versions of the characters. They real stars shouldn't look like Chuds compared to the earlier versions.

:shocked: Blasphemy!

Well it's obvious you didn't like it, which is cool.

I went in like a kid who read the comics (my son as well), which like any film adaptation did not stay true to the original Ghost Rider origins from the comics. The story was slightly altered a bit, but it had the same thrill as the comics. Ghost Rider stayed pretty true to his looks in the comics which was a nice bonus along with the same powers he had in the comics.

Wishing they had stayed with the younger versions of the characters is probably why you didn't enjoy it all the much, in the comics Blaze pretty much looked like crap all the time so Cage fit that bill quite well.:D It's no big secret that I can't stand him, but I think he did all right with Ghost Rider (even though I too would have like to see how the younger versions did), seeing how he didn't have to do that much acting anyways.

To say this was the worst acted Movie since Captain America is Blasphemy,Ghost Rider didn't require a lot of good acting, it was a cheesy comic book with cheesy villans, so it's not like I was expecting it to be great.

My son loved it & I actually liked it for what it was, a chessy comic book character turned into a movie.:thumbsup:

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2007, 09:24 PM

Now that is a very scary statement.

I'm still gonna check it out though. :)

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 09:48 PM
Yep, they should've gone with Ketch.

I'm serious.

A confused kid suddenly becomes Ghost Rider without any idea as to why, then Johnny Blaze starts gunning for him, thinking he's the same demon, as the devil and his minions are in the way, too.

That could've been a really dark film if handled that way.

General_Grievous
02-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I thought it was good, better than than F4, Hulk, DD, Electra, Superman Returns & even the Punisher.

While I disagree with your opinion that it was better than Superman Returns and The Punisher, I will say that I liked it a lot more than Hulk and Daredevil. It's probably better than Elektra (even though I haven't seen Elektra). As for F4, I liked it about the same as GR.

El Chuxter
02-18-2007, 10:26 PM
Why the love for the Punisher?

Seriously?

"Well, it's got the skull, and a comic-accurate origin."

No, it doesn't. Go back and read your old Spider-Man comics. And the bit with the skull being a Native American symbol was stupid hogwash.

Frank Castle and Thomas Jane, although a match made in heaven, were wasted on a mediocre script and a laughable John Travolta villain.

But it was better than Daredevil, I'll give you that.

General_Grievous
02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
Cause of the knife through the mouth scene. Yeah. :p

I guess I have a soft spot for it because I like revenge movies. Plus, I really liked the score for the Punisher.

JetsAndHeels
02-18-2007, 10:41 PM
I thought it was good, better than than Superman Returns

It couldn't have been that good. :)

Slicker
02-19-2007, 04:45 PM
Just saw Ghost Rider and, although not quite as bad as RB says, it wasn't anything to write home about. I was expecting some action in the movie and it fell flat, IMO. The "minions" didn't even put up a fight and the end "battle" was just dumb.

I never read the comics (or any comics for that matter) but all of the other comic movies at least had action and kept me interested.

It was in a packed theater too so, unfortunately, they'll probably make another one...:rolleyes:

2-1B
02-19-2007, 04:50 PM

Seriously?

Tom Jane made the movie for me...I loved the revenge angle and just dug it all around. I even liked Travolta in an over-the-top villain way.

Plus it's got John Pinnete ! :grin:

Rocketboy
02-19-2007, 09:07 PM

Seriously?
Because it was (with the exception of Travolta) f**king awesome.

"Well, it's got the skull, and a comic-accurate origin."

No, it doesn't. Go back and read your old Spider-Man comics. And the bit with the skull being a Native American symbol was stupid hogwash.

I don't think there has ever been an true explanation for the skull.
Hell, The Punisher wasn't even given a real name until his first limited series (11 years after his introduction).

2-1B
02-19-2007, 09:09 PM
Rocketboy's post was (with the exception of his rip on Travolta) f**king awesome.

El Chuxter
02-19-2007, 11:10 PM

None that I'm aware of, but the assumption has always been that it's a symbol of death.

Hell, The Punisher wasn't even given a real name until his first limited series (11 years after his introduction).

You sure about that? There was a B&W magazine one-shot in the late 70s that had his (more or less full) origin for the first time. Are you sure his name doesn't pop up in there somewhere?

Rocketboy
02-20-2007, 12:59 AM
You sure about that? There was a B&W magazine one-shot in the late 70s that had his (more or less full) origin for the first time. Are you sure his name doesn't pop up in there somewhere?Yep. I first noticed it in The Essential Punisher and rechecked it. The first time I saw the name Frank Castle was in that first limited series.
I found it really odd, since they established his history years before and even put him on trial (referring to him as The Punisher the entire time).

The comic you referred to was probably either Marvel Preview #2 or Marvel Super Action #1, both of which were in The Essential Punisher.

El Chuxter
02-20-2007, 01:46 AM
Awesome. I've seen some of these "Essential" books, and they look like they're pretty complete. I wasn't aware that those were collected in The Essential Punisher, so I'll have to check it out.

I think the one I'm thinking of was Marvel Preview. Was Marvel Super Action only released in the UK? For some reason, I think he had only these two headlining issues before the limited series, and one was an obscure American B&W magazine and the other was an obscure British comic. I could be mistaken, though.

plasticfetish
02-20-2007, 03:52 AM
Okay, took the family to see Ghost Rider today...

The biggest problem that I've had with most of these comic book movies, is that the directors are more often than not unable to really push the whole "comic book" idea. It never seems to work if these things are true to life, and unless you're willing to stylize the hell out of it, or play up the bigger than life idea, it just seems too mediocre.

As much as I find Nicolas Cage to be odd looking, and way too over the top in just about every role he plays... I actually think he fit this role pretty well. Yes, I'm saying that I think Cage was good. I think he's exactly who's needed to bring this character to the big screen.

Ghost Rider, to me anyway -- and remember, I haven't read a GR book since the '70s -- has always been a brilliantly ridiculous character. He's Evil Knievel on fire with a skull for a head. (Don't know who Evil Knievel is or don't care? Well, then I suppose you didn't grow up in an era where a guy jumping a fountain was considered a major sporting event, and Ghost Rider probably wouldn't be your "thing" anyway.) He's corn ball cool, and this movie had the potential to really play that idea up.

On many levels it was fun and enjoyable, but like so many other superhero films, it fell flat in two ways. Firstly, the production value didn't live up to the concept. More often than not, it felt like I was watching a big budget network TV show, and not a major motion picture. If that film really cost 120 million to make, then I think the accountants at Columbia Pictures need to get the audit machine going, because it didn't all make it to the big screen. No way.

The second and worst failure, was that the director managed to waste every opportunity for a stylized or memorable shot by choosing to handle this film like he was filming a biography for the Oxygen Channel. The guy has now proven himself to be the absolute worst choice to direct movies based on comic book heroes. He brings nothing but mediocrity, and as much as it seemed that the people around him (Cage, Fonda, Elliott) were fighting to push this one into the realm of crazy over-the-top fun, he seemed to be just phoning it in all the way.

Such a shame too, because even though I don't come away hating the film, I had more fun watching the Grindhouse trailer that they played before it.

If they make another one of these... and they probably will, I'd only suggest that they bring in someone that knows how to do some visual storytelling, but only after they've let a decent writer tighten up the screenplay.

Also, and for the record, I saw this with my nine year old son who liked it, but much of his enthusiasm for Marvel has come from playing the Ultimate Alliance game lately. The film had some scenes that were right on the edge of being too intense for him, but all in all I think he was okay with it. Funny thing again how they've managed to build a PG-13 movie and then market it to a bunch of younger kids by putting out an action figure line. Way to go Columbia and Hasbro!

El Chuxter
02-20-2007, 10:32 AM
Funny thing again how they've managed to build a PG-13 movie and then market it to a bunch of younger kids by putting out an action figure line. Way to go Columbia and Hasbro!

Good point. Ghost Rider should've been a solid "R", and should've given everyone nightmares for a week.

Slicker
02-21-2007, 02:56 PM
I can't believe I forgot.

There actually is a good part in Ghost Rider.

It's when he's watching TV and the Karate Monkey is on.

General_Grievous
02-21-2007, 11:14 PM
While we're still on "Ghost Rider", I have to ask: WTF was up with the jelly beans in the martini glasses?

plasticfetish
02-22-2007, 01:00 AM
He doesn't drink... likes candy... errr... I dunno, it's a stupid character detail.

El Chuxter
02-22-2007, 01:12 AM
Mr Blaze may not drink, but Mr Cage was certainly under the influence of something last year at Comic-Con.

General_Grievous
02-22-2007, 09:11 AM
Apparently Cage is under the influence, since I think it was his decision on the set to eat the jelly beans.......out of a martini glass.:crazed:

BountyHunterScum
02-22-2007, 03:20 PM
Because it was (with the exception of Travolta) f**king awesome.

Punisher was very good, Ghost Rider was good too. I didn't flinch one bit at those very fast scary scenes. That will give some kids nightmares though.

El Chuxter
03-14-2007, 02:45 PM
When can we egg-spect to egg-zamine Eggs-Men IV?

General_Grievous
03-31-2007, 05:19 PM
I just thought of something regarding "Fantastic Four 2". Who will be providing Silver Surfer's voice? I'm only assuming that Doug Jones isn't a voice actor. He played Abe Sapien in "Hellboy", but David Hyde Pierce provided the voice. Will it be a similar situation with Silver Surfer?

Rocketboy
03-31-2007, 10:18 PM
No idea on the Surfer's voice, but speaking of FF, there will be an Extended cut of Fantastic Four released on June 5 (http://www.superherohype.com/news/fantasticfournews.php?id=5422). 20 minutes longer with a bunch of special features and some FF2 stuff.

JediTricks
04-01-2007, 09:38 PM
I just thought of something regarding "Fantastic Four 2". Who will be providing Silver Surfer's voice? I'm only assuming that Doug Jones isn't a voice actor. He played Abe Sapien in "Hellboy", but David Hyde Pierce provided the voice. Will it be a similar situation with Silver Surfer?Doug Jones is an actor actor, not just a guy in suit, he's even voiced Abe in the Hellboy animated sequels.

General_Grievous
04-01-2007, 10:00 PM
Really? I didn't see the animated Hellboy movies, but I had assumed that David Hyde Pierce provided the voice again.

JediTricks
04-02-2007, 04:32 PM
Nope, it was Doug Jones. Apparently, David Hyde Pierce took his name off the credits for the live movie because he felt the character "belonged" to Jones. And it's not that they didn't use any stars in the animateds because Ron Perlman, Selma Blair, and John Hurt all reprised their characters in them.

darthvyn
04-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Yep, they should've gone with Ketch.

apparently the should've done it for other reasons, as well:

"Ghost Rider" creator sues over copyright (http://www.reuters.com/article/filmNews/idUSN1037146020070410).

if they'd gone with ketch, it probably wouldn't fall under the same category...

El Chuxter
04-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Yeah, I read that and found it odd. Aside from a brief hiatus in the 80s, Johnny Blaze has been a pretty constant character, both as Ghost Rider and as simply Blaze, the Crazy Vigilante with a Hellfire-Shooting Shotgun.

I wonder how strong the case is there? I find it a little hard to believe Marvel simply didn't register the trademark.

General_Grievous
04-12-2007, 01:00 AM
Here's a pic of the "Mark 1" Iron Man armor from the movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5486

I'm assuming this is the first of two costume changes in the movie.

plasticfetish
04-12-2007, 02:11 AM
Me likey! :) Thanks G_G!

General_Grievous
04-12-2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I like it too, even though I'm not a big Iron Man fan. But all we need now is Chow Yun Fat to play Mandarin and we'll be all set.

Rocketboy
04-12-2007, 11:14 PM
After the crap fest that was Civil War (where Iron Man became King Douche) and the Iron Man animated movie (Zzzz...), I'm having a hard time getting even a little excited about this movie.
Maybe after a trailer is released.

El Chuxter
04-12-2007, 11:22 PM
I've never been a big Iron Man fan. I tried to be, back in the days when I was a Marvel fanatic, and it just didn't happen. I could get into every Marvel hero except Iron Man and Thor (though I actually was the one guy who did like Thor when Eric Masterson fully took over for Thor).

I don't know why. IM has the drama, the fatal flaw, the cool villains, even armor. And it wasn't a bias against "guy in an armored suit," because I loved XO Manowar at the same time.

Go figure.

Rocketboy
04-12-2007, 11:27 PM
I've never been a Iron man fan. As a kid, the only issue I remember reading was one where he battled US Agent (Steve Rogers or the other guy - no idea).
After that was War Machine #1 (not even an IM comic)...because it was the 90's and it was a #1 "Collectors Item!"
Everything else has been a guest appearance.

Phantom-like Menace
04-13-2007, 12:54 AM
That's not a bad modernization of the original tin man look.

plasticfetish
04-13-2007, 01:58 AM
Mmmm... most of my "like" for the character (or most things Marvel), comes from reading and buying the books throughout the '70s. I can't say that I've read many Iron Man comics beyond maybe 1984. (Though I did just find a pile of books from around '92 at a thrift store.)

I like the idea of this movie being a little more gritty. Showing Stark sweating and building the suit... but at the same time, it's still a comic book story.

For what it's worth, I like that they put Stark on the west coast, and that they've filmed this thing in an old Hughes aircraft hanger. I'd always thought of Tony Stark as being a Howard Hughes kind of guy... more than likely it was intended that way I suppose.

JediTricks
04-13-2007, 07:23 PM
Here's a pic of the "Mark 1" Iron Man armor from the movie.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5486

I'm assuming this is the first of two costume changes in the movie.
Wow, that is far more faithful to the original's essence than I was expecting really.

I'm not much of an Iron Man fan, I like the suit and I like the idea of who the character is, but I just never got into the depth of it much. I suspect though that this will play into the film's favor by lowering expectations and allowing for a little creative license and freedom.

General_Grievous
04-13-2007, 08:28 PM
More news for you, this time about the FF...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32259

Laurence "Cowboy Curtis" Fishburne may be the voice of Galactus in Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. As of now, it's just a rumor, but not a bad choice for the voice of Galactus.

JediTricks
04-14-2007, 04:09 PM
Yeah, but it's just swarm of bees Galactus.

Phantom-like Menace
04-15-2007, 12:35 AM
Yeah, but it's just swarm of bees Galactus.

They're going with that version? I guess they decided no one would buy a giant blue and purple guy. Are they blue and purple bees?

General_Grievous
04-15-2007, 01:20 AM
To be honest, I thought they would have a more organic look for Galactus, like have him take an elemental form of rock or something. Sure, it's not really canon, but it's better than a swarm of bees. I'd even prefer a giant robot.

El Chuxter
04-15-2007, 02:24 AM
Swarm of bees?

Huh-what?

Rocketboy
04-16-2007, 03:42 PM
Good lord...Edward Norton is Bruce Banner (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19905).
:rolleyes:

El Chuxter
04-16-2007, 03:59 PM
Whether the film did well or not, why not keep Bana? He did an awesome job.

Let's see... Action-packed... directed by the guy who brought us a couple of brainless action flicks... new Bruce Banner cast....

So, in other words, no connection at all to what made Hulk great.

I think I'll have to skip this one.

General_Grievous
04-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Whether the film did well or not, why not keep Bana? He did an awesome job.
Because Bana didn't want to be part of it.

But I'm fine with Norton. He's a good actor. The new director, on the other hand...I'm not so sure, considering his past movies.

Unfortunately, I don't think Jennifer Connelly will be back. Maybe Betty won't even show up in the movie at all.

They might also have to touch up the Hulk's CGI to match Norton's features, so he'll probably look a bit different, too.

Rocketboy
04-16-2007, 04:28 PM
They might also have to touch up the Hulk's CGI to match Norton's features, so he'll probably look a bit different, too.The goofy looking Hulk ever.

Rocketboy
04-19-2007, 10:05 AM
Lawrence Fishburne is not the voice of Galactus - he is the voice of the Silver Surfer (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19962).
Galactus may not even speak!

El Chuxter
04-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Fishburne as a slender white guy on a surfboard covered in metal? Sounds... weird.

General_Grievous
04-19-2007, 03:11 PM
Lawrence Fishburne is not the voice of Galactus - he is the voice of the Silver Surfer (http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=19962).
Galactus may not even speak!
I had a hunch Doug Jones wouldn't be providing the voice of the Surfer.

JediTricks
04-20-2007, 11:07 PM
They're going with that version? I guess they decided no one would buy a giant blue and purple guy. Are they blue and purple bees?
I have no idea what color they'll choose, but the swarm at all is a bad sign IMO, though you're right that it'd be hard for audiences to buy vintage Galactus - what does he think he is with that hat, the Space Pope?

Swarm of bees?

Huh-what?Ultimates Galactus is a swarm of robots, not a big dude: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galactus#Ultimate_Marvel

I never pictured the Surfer with Larry Fishburne's voice, I wonder if I'll have the same problem there that I did with Elrond in LOTR, only instead of "Mister Anderson" it'll be "Neo". :p

Phantom-like Menace
04-20-2007, 11:12 PM
what does he think he is with that hat, the Space Pope?

Nice.:yes:

plasticfetish
04-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Oh god... "swarm of bees" Galactus... I haven't been following the details of that film at all, but now I'm sure that I'll hate it. (Suppose I'll have to wait and see.) Why can't anyone just leave a good idea alone?

-----

The '03 hulk movie was sooooo boring. Eric Bana was nothing special. I like Ed Norton, and imagine that he could do a really good job, but it's still going to depend on the script. I haven't seen any of Leterrier's movies, but Ang Lee is a great director and it didn't save him from the gamma radiation bomb that was The Hulk. I'm not sure what to think.

El Chuxter
04-21-2007, 12:09 PM
Wow.

That sounds dumber than Civil War.

JediTricks
04-21-2007, 06:52 PM
Oh god... "swarm of bees" Galactus... I haven't been following the details of that film at all, but now I'm sure that I'll hate it. (Suppose I'll have to wait and see.) Why can't anyone just leave a good idea alone?The trailer alone told me they were blowing it when they focused on the Surfer's phasing ability, one which everything I've heard is used a handful of times at most - it'd be like doing a Superman movie where he uses his super-hypnotism, or his super voice-throwing, or he can see and process raw radio and tv transmissions, sure they said it once, but COME ON! It'd be nearly as lame as the cellophane "S" from Superman 2.

But yeah, the swarm galactus is just not a very Fantastic idea.

Rocketboy
04-21-2007, 10:08 PM
Wow.

That sounds dumber than Civil War.Or The Punisher becoming Captain America.

El Chuxter
04-22-2007, 12:34 PM
Maybe not that dumb.

But on par with Unicron appearing in Transformers 2, and being played by Garry Shandling.

I shouldn't give Mike Bay ideas.

General_Grievous
05-01-2007, 05:46 PM
The full trailer for FF: Rise of the Silver Surfer.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5590

I'm actually looking forward to it a bit more now.

Rocketboy
05-02-2007, 01:23 AM
Magneto (http://movies.msn.com/movies/hitlist/05-01-07_4?GT1=7701) appears to be moving forward:

After the release of "X-Men: The Last Stand (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=561020)" almost a year ago, 20th Century Fox said they had no plans to produce a fourth installment of the popular franchise because it was too pricey because of the many big-name movie stars attached to it. However, the studio said it was considering spin-offs revolving around the popular characters of Wolverine and Magneto. Not surprisingly, "Wolverine" got the first go ahead with Hugh Jackman (http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=336026) on board. Although it's currently without a director, the picture is expected to begin production before the end of the year. As for "Magneto," Variety reports the X-Men's greatest foe is also getting his own shot at the big screen. Conveniently announced the day before his latest movie, "The Invisible (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=1423410)," opened (and bombed), Fox has brought veteran comic-book movie guru David Goyer ("Batman Begins (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=561036)") on board to helm the Master of Magnetism's origin.
Goyer's picture will follow a story line hinted at in the original "X-Men (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=520255)" movie in which Magneto deals with understanding his mutant powers during his family's internment at the Auschwitz concentration camp during World War II. It is there that Magneto first meets Professor Charles Xavier, an American soldier liberating the camp (and who later forms the X-Men). After being freed, Magneto hones his powers by hunting down and killing the Nazi war criminals that tortured him. His thirst for vengeance eventually turns Xavier into his enemy and more conflict ensues. Both adversaries will be played by actors in their 20s, but it is expected that Ian McKellen (http://movies.msn.com/celebs/celeb.aspx?c=118500), who originated the character, will participate in a limited capacity. What is puzzling about the announcement is that Magneto is clearly a villain to most moviegoers. And after the critical and box-office disappointment of the last prequel movie that focused on a madman's origin story, "Hannibal Rising (http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie.aspx?m=2056909)," you have to wonder whether there is a big audience for this type of film. It's clear that Fox, Marvel and Goyer think there is.

General_Grievous
05-02-2007, 05:26 PM
Here's a pic of Iron Man's Mark III armor.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5602

You know, I couldn't care less about Iron Man before, but now I'm kind of excited for the movie.

JediTricks
05-02-2007, 08:34 PM
Holy crap, that Iron Man armor looks outstanding! I had been doubting Stan Winston because his work for the last decade or so had gotten really 1-note, but this looks tremendous.

General_Grievous
05-04-2007, 03:47 AM
How's this for news? Liv Tyler is Betty Ross.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=5617

I can't say I'm surprised. I knew Jennifer Connelly wouldn't come back. But I'm alright with it. I like Liv Tyler.

JediTricks
05-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I don't really care that much about The Hulk movies, I didn't even see the first one, but I think that's a good piece of casting, her kind of acting is restrained enough that it'll fit well with a comic book movie tone without being wooden, and she's easy on the eyes to boot.

El Chuxter
05-11-2007, 12:50 AM
I will only buy a ticket to this second Hulk movie if I need toilet paper.

darthvyn
05-11-2007, 09:36 AM
i dunno... i'm looking forward to seeing what they can do with it. i enjoyed the first one, but if they can up the action in the second it should be pretty fun. of course, apparently i have no taste in movies, so don't pay any attention to me.

Phantom-like Menace
05-11-2007, 11:24 PM
I will only buy a ticket to this second Hulk movie if I need toilet paper.

While that got a pretty good chuckle out of me, I really haven't heard enough to know what this movie will be like. The first was nearly unwatchable, but at least for this second they seem like they want to make a comic book movie, not some kind of in depth study in abnormal psychology.

mabudonicus
05-12-2007, 10:20 AM
PLM- Chux was trying to suggest that he LIKED that first movie ;)

I have never had even a tinge of desire to watch that garbage again. I think Stilla said it back then, the film should have been called "Bruce" and it would have been fine, calling it "HULK" and it being the (as you said) psychological BS that it was, kind of came off as an insult..

And an observation (which BTW is not pointed at Chux, still haven't figured his stance out here) it seems like in most cases, the amount someone enjoyed the first Hulk thing seems inversely proportional to how much they liked the comics, especially the Silver Age stuff- don't know why that is, but I swear it's true

I said as I left the theatre, the ONLY way they could make a good follow-up is to forget all about what heppened in the movie- not sayin I told ya so (since I don't think I did) but the fact that the folks responsible decided to take that route suggests that I was, in fact, bang-on. If it was so good why did it have to be scrapped wholesale??
:beard: Iso & Baws

LBC is probably the closest US based forumite to my own location

Phantom-like Menace
05-13-2007, 12:00 AM
PLM- Chux was trying to suggest that he LIKED that first movie ;)

Oops, sorry El Chuxter, I didn't realize you were saying they should have continued in the same vein as the first movie. I misunderstood.

Rocketboy
05-16-2007, 07:10 PM
I'm more than a little devastated here...
Tom Jane drops out of The Punisher 2 (http://www.aintitcool.com/node/32673)

What I won't do is spend months of my life sweating over a movie that I just don't believe in. I've always loved the Marvel guys, and wish them well. Meanwhile, I'll continue to search for a film that one day might stand with all those films that the fans have asked me to watch.Based on what he said, I guess I understand why he did it, but man, this really sucks. I'm hoping this is just a move by Jane to get the movie done right and force Lionsgate to get their sh** together and get people on board that want to do The Punisher 2 right.

General_Grievous
05-16-2007, 10:00 PM
If Jane's not in it, then "Punisher 2" shouldn't happen.

Rocketboy
05-16-2007, 11:39 PM
Exactly.
It'd be like making a Hulk sequel without Eric Bana.

oh wait...

JetsAndHeels
05-16-2007, 11:49 PM
Man, that does suck about the Punisher. I was hoping for a good sequel, I like the first one alot.

El Chuxter
05-16-2007, 11:53 PM
It was okay. Not bad, but not great. I got sick of people saying that it was true to the comic book origin. No, it wasn't. Even aside from changing the circumstances, the Punisher's family had to be totally innocent bystanders. Their being killed as revenge against Castle totally changes the character's motivation.

Rocketboy
06-07-2007, 12:52 AM
Sounds like it could be a bad sign - Fantastic Four 2 got a PG rating (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5813).
The first one was rated PG-13.

Beast
06-07-2007, 12:57 AM
Sounds like it could be a bad sign - Fantastic Four 2 got a PG rating (http://www.superherohype.com/news/topnews.php?id=5813).
The first one was rated PG-13.
That's actually fairly surprising. Given the level of action in the film.

But I guess when you're dealing with a family friendly superhero movie, it's possible. Especially since the characters are much more lighthearted than most of Marvel's pantheon.

Rocketboy
06-07-2007, 01:19 AM
Yeah, but the first was pretty light-hearted and it still got a PG-13.
Maybe 2 is too light-hearted?

El Chuxter
06-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Maybe they figured the first one sucked so bad, no one would go see the second, and they have a limited number of PG-13's to hand out before they die?

Just a thought.

Beast
06-07-2007, 12:00 PM
Maybe they figured the first one sucked so bad, no one would go see the second, and they have a limited number of PG-13's to hand out before they die?

Just a thought.
Ok. Apperantly the first one only got a PG originally also. That was revealed by Alba and Chiklis on the Audio Commentary for the first film. Fox was worried that the movie wouldn't be as appealing with a PG, so changed a scene to ensure they got a PG-13. That's the reason the scene was changed where Doom kills the guy in the parking garage. That's why in the trailers he was just electrocuted, and in the movie he had a hole blown through him.

2-1B
06-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Out of all this comic book crap being discussed lately, I'd say Iron Man looks to be the one that could come out and be pretty cool.

The new Fantastic Four can't be worse than the first one but that's not saying much.

Beast
06-07-2007, 02:08 PM
Out of all this comic book crap being discussed lately, I'd say Iron Man looks to be the one that could come out and be pretty cool.

The new Fantastic Four can't be worse than the first one but that's not saying much.
I liked the first one. At least it wasn't as boring as watching paint dry like The Hulk. ;)

2-1B
06-07-2007, 02:20 PM
That's true, FF was better than The Hulk. lol

El Chuxter
06-07-2007, 02:24 PM
You're both crazy. :p

Beast
06-07-2007, 03:55 PM
You're both crazy. :p
Crazy like a fox. :D

Beast
06-14-2007, 03:13 PM
Big updates for what's in the works from Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. :)

- The third project from the independent Marvel Studios production branch is going to be... Captain America. "We'll have to play with Captain America as being a patriotic propoganda machine on one hand but also being a very human Steve Rogers, ... [an] interesting, fascinating hero in his own right," Feige told reporters on the set of Iron Man. Is the script they're developing a period piece? "Right now what we're developing would be about half and half," Feige said. He also added that Captain America will aim for a PG-13 rating, much like Iron Man. The comic studio has had writer David Self (Road to Perdition) drafting a screenplay for while now, and Feige says that a director will be announced soon. Filming is expected to happen at this time next year for a Summer 2009 relese.

- As far as outside licensed productions go, Lionsgate's The Punisher 2 has obtained a director... but Feige is unwilling to say who it is at this time. "We have a director, but we'd like to announce an actor and a director together," he said. "The only reason I have any interest in doing another 'Punisher' movie is to do a better 'Punisher' movie. And if Marvel felt we wouldn't be able to do that, we wouldn't make it."

- David Goyer, writer of the Blade and director of Blade: Trinity, has been signed up to direct the Magneto spinoff for Fox. Fox wants to film Wolverine before shooting begins on Magneto, however, so Goyer is biding his time working on co-writing the DC Comics-based script Super Max for Warner Bros.

- As for Wolverine, "We've not signed a direcotr yet, but I think it's very close," Feige said. "There's still a lot of people in the mix. Hugh Jackman is on board, of course."

- Sub-Mariner is still being worked on over at Universal Studios. "Jonathan Mostow (Breakdown, U-571, Terminator 3) is doing a rewrite on David Self's script with the intention to direct. That should be finished in a few weeks," Feige says.

- Thor is another project that just got a new lease on life. Matthew Vaughn, who was initially signed to direct X-Men: The Last Stand before dropping out, has agreed to direct the film from a script by Mark Protosevich.

- Feige also clarified whether The Incredible Hulk would be a sequel or a reboot. It's a reboot all the way, he says. "The new Hulk movie will be different from the first one 'cause this one will be good," said Feige. "There are certain elements of the first film that I'm proud of, there are other elements that I'm not. In looking to reboot and start the franchise fresh and new, we wanted to start with a clean slate."

- Finally, what else might be coming in the future? "I'd love to put a Power Pack script into development," Feige said. "I'd love to do a PG-sort've 'Goonies'-style flick, those films that I loved as a kid in the '80s growing up. I'd love to do something like that with Power Pack."

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 03:27 PM
"The new Hulk movie will be different from the first one 'cause this one will be good," said Feige.

Okay, regardless of what you think of Hulk, that's just rude and unprofessional. Even if I had planned to see this POS sequel, I'd have to pass just so to avoid putting money in this douchebag's pocket. I hope Ang Lee goes up to him, acts like he's going to kick him in the groin, makes him flinch, and then pulls out his Oscars and says, "I have these. I don't need to talk smack on other directors, because my many Oscars can do it for me."

Beast
06-14-2007, 04:11 PM
Okay, regardless of what you think of Hulk, that's just rude and unprofessional. Even if I had planned to see this POS sequel, I'd have to pass just so to avoid putting money in this douchebag's pocket. I hope Ang Lee goes up to him, acts like he's going to kick him in the groin, makes him flinch, and then pulls out his Oscars and says, "I have these. I don't need to talk smack on other directors, because my many Oscars can do it for me."
It may be rude and unprofessional, but it's also pretty much true. :D

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 04:28 PM
That's open for debate. :)

Seriously, though, that's amazingly low. I didn't realize that he was the president of Marvel Studios, which actually makes it even worse. He's in a position where he should have some courtesy for people who have worked for him, and the simple common sense to know to pretend he does if that's not the case.

Rocketboy
06-14-2007, 04:37 PM
Funny, there was nothing but praise for Hulk when it opened.

Beast
06-14-2007, 04:41 PM
Funny, there was nothing but praise for Hulk when it opened.
Except by movie critics, hulk fans, and comic fans. Oh, and the general public. :)

El Chuxter
06-14-2007, 04:49 PM
Funny. I'm a Hulk fan, a comic fan, and a member of the general public. And I've reviewed movies for smaller newspapers, so I could be considered a movie critic of sorts. I loved the movie.

And it doesn't change the fact that this Feige guy has out-douched Michael Bay.

DarthBrandon
06-14-2007, 07:47 PM
And it doesn't change the fact that this Feige guy has out-douched Michael Bay.

I'm not even sure this is possible.:Dlol

Rocketboy
06-14-2007, 10:28 PM
Except by movie critics, hulk fans, and comic fans. Oh, and the general public. :)Well, I've written movie reviews, I'm a casual Hulk fan, I'm a comic fan, I'm part of the general public, and I loved Hulk.

BTW - Beast, as of right now, you have 11,111 posts. Cool.

General_Grievous
06-15-2007, 02:39 AM
So I just saw Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer. I'm not including any spoilers, so no worries. I thought it was pretty damn good. Better than the first one. On the Marvel movie meter it ranks closer to the top. The Silver Surfer owned this movie, as I had expected. The CGI was awesome. Doom was much better this time around. He wasn't a lamewad like he was in the last movie. But just like in the last movie, Torch and Thing steal the show at times. There's one hilarious line about a "rock slide". :p Reed and Sue were much more accurately portrayed in this movie than the last one. Everyone seemed much more comfortable with their characters. And for anyone who was concerned about Galactus, don't sweat it. It works fine onscreen. It would have been ridiculous if they had 616 Galactus stomping around. One more thing, though. Why was this rated PG? There was a particularly graphic death scene in the film. Did the MPAA just not care? Anyway, this is a good sequel, maybe even the best Marvel movie sequel since it surpassed the first film in every single way. :thumbsup:

mabudonicus
06-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Again, as I posted elsewhere, the Hulk film did suck, it sucked rocks, and the fact that another couldn't get greenlighted unless the whole thing was reworked seems to prove it.

I'm sure the folks who liked it honeslty did/do enjoy it, but seriously, it was a lame turd. Chux, I know you said the Hulk almost got cancelled in the 80's for being a smash-fest and nothing else, but that was like 20 years worth of same-old same-old coming to a head. A film could be filled with plenty of action, plenty of solid story and lots of Banner bits and still be good enough to warrant a sequel. That first Hulk attempt may have satisfied a very vocal minority, but when "Are we done yet" can come out with no hassles as a dependable money-maker and "Hulk 2" is considered the kiss of death, you have to start to think that maybe, just maybe the folks who actually liked it enough to make it pay weren't there...

Now, of course, I AM stating that it might have to be "dumbed down" a tad, as my "are we done yet" example shows that ain't necessarily a measure of greatness, but I swear, not a single one of my "real life" friends could stand even talkin about the Hulk film after it was released, and that has GOT to mean something- I disagree with them about a great many films, but Hulk unified our position...

So in closing, Chux and Rocketboy, you might be disappointed in this Hulk 2 just as much as I was let down by Hulk one, but I really can't see it stinking up theatres as bad as that turd did :beard: Iso & Baws
I DO disagree with Chux, most respectfully, on the whole Hulk deal

plasticfetish
06-16-2007, 03:36 AM
Except by movie critics, hulk fans, and comic fans. Oh, and the general public. :)I'm not even sure if Ang Lee would say that he liked the first Hulk film at this point. (I'm glad they're doing another one.)

Anyway, saw Rise of the Silver Surfer today, and for what it was, I thought it was pretty good. Not great or anything, but it was a fun film. Maybe I'll even rent the first one and watch it now... maybe.

Rocketboy
06-16-2007, 10:07 AM
Saw FF2 last night and liked more than the first. Better action and more comedy, especially between Johnny and Ben. The Surfer looked great for an all CGI character.

A few complaints I can overlook:
Ben's rock still moves like rubber, the dance scene (which was nowhere near as bad a Spider-man 3's), and Doom was even worse this time around.
My biggest complaint is obviously Galactus.

General_Grievous
06-16-2007, 02:36 PM
My biggest complaint is obviously Galactus.

You really thought it would have been better if they had a giant guy in a purple suit eating the planet?

Beast
06-16-2007, 02:50 PM
Besides, they teased the Kirby Galactus. When Galactus disrupts Saturn's rings, you can see the shadow of his helmet... wings and all against the planet. And the thing at the heart of the cloud, looked somewhat Galactusish. At least in a couple shots. I'm sure we'll see the "Real" Galactus in the Silver Surfer movie that's being made. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/misterbungle/galactus.gif

plasticfetish
06-16-2007, 02:56 PM
If they could manage to work a plug for Dodge in there, then they could have managed to work that "classic" Galactus image in somehow. ;)

I would like to have seen his shape at the center of that dirt storm... or something to that effect. As is though, I can see why they chose this option.

The two things that did bug me...

The "Hemi" fantasticar. (Stupid.)
Jessica Alba's bad contact lenses.

...other than that, I have no real complaints.

Even Nip-Tuck Doom didn't bother me so much with this one. I suppose it should have, but for some reason I was able to let it slide.

Besides, they teased the Kirby Galactus.You're right, they did. Would have like to see them play it up just a bit more though... but I'm sure you're right about them using it in the future.

Beast
06-16-2007, 03:13 PM
I liked the Dodge Fantasticar. Like I told my brother, that was the first car commercial before a movie that I didn't mind. Plus it looked pretty darn cool in action in the actual film. Shame we didn't get Herbie though. Of course, fans hate him also. :(

Yeah, Alba's wig and contact lenses bugged me. It was just another case of the studio buckling to comic fanboys that Alba wasn't Sue Storm enough for their tastes. They should have just stuck to their guns in that case. Though that sort of goes both ways.

As they also undid the Ultimateish 'Organic Metal Skin' Doom that a lot of classic fanboys outright hated about the first film. Of course, they should have left him with the original scar. Since there's no real reason for him to wear the Doom Mask otherwise.

Rocketboy
06-16-2007, 10:34 PM
You really thought it would have been better if they had a giant guy in a purple suit eating the planet?Yes, but not Purple, maybe an updated black and sliver design would've been cool.

Besides, they teased the Kirby Galactus. When Galactus disrupts Saturn's rings, you can see the shadow of his helmet... wings and all against the planet. And the thing at the heart of the cloud, looked somewhat Galactusish. At least in a couple shots. I'm sure we'll see the "Real" Galactus in the Silver Surfer movie that's being made. :)SPOILERS FROM HERE DOWN

You get a better glimpse of the real Galactus head near the end when the Surfer tells Galactus that he will no longer be his herald.

As they also undid the Ultimateish 'Organic Metal Skin' Doom that a lot of classic fanboys outright hated about the first film. Of course, they should have left him with the original scar. Since there's no real reason for him to wear the Doom Mask otherwise.There was something else I didn't like about Doom - they started in the right direction by making him all scarred up (the original reason he wore that damn mask) only to screw it up and have him miraculously healed by the Surfer.

JediTricks
06-18-2007, 11:55 PM
Big updates for what's in the works from Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige. :)

- The third project from the independent Marvel Studios production branch is going to be... Captain America. "We'll have to play with Captain America as being a patriotic propoganda machine on one hand but also being a very human Steve Rogers, ... [an] interesting, fascinating hero in his own right," Feige told reporters on the set of Iron Man. Is the script they're developing a period piece? "Right now what we're developing would be about half and half," Feige said. He also added that Captain America will aim for a PG-13 rating, much like Iron Man. The comic studio has had writer David Self (Road to Perdition) drafting a screenplay for while now, and Feige says that a director will be announced soon. Filming is expected to happen at this time next year for a Summer 2009 relese.That sounded very good right up until the mention of David Self writing, he just doesn't have enough under his belt I fear to make this work cinematically. Still, I think this project could work if they don't make it too 1-note GI Joe.

- As far as outside licensed productions go, Lionsgate's The Punisher 2 has obtained a director... but Feige is unwilling to say who it is at this time. "We have a director, but we'd like to announce an actor and a director together," he said. "The only reason I have any interest in doing another 'Punisher' movie is to do a better 'Punisher' movie. And if Marvel felt we wouldn't be able to do that, we wouldn't make it."Glad to hear they recognize the first one doesn't hold up that well and are aiming for better.

- David Goyer, writer of the Blade and director of Blade: Trinity, has been signed up to direct the Magneto spinoff for Fox. Fox wants to film Wolverine before shooting begins on Magneto, however, so Goyer is biding his time working on co-writing the DC Comics-based script Super Max for Warner Bros.I don't know what to make of Goyer, he's good at the darker, tortured soul stories but I'm not sure Magneto fits into that. Plus, he kind of let me down with Blade II.

- As for Wolverine, "We've not signed a direcotr yet, but I think it's very close," Feige said. "There's still a lot of people in the mix. Hugh Jackman is on board, of course."Seems like they're being really lazy with this project and the clock is ticking away, gonna wind down soon.

- Sub-Mariner is still being worked on over at Universal Studios. "Jonathan Mostow (Breakdown, U-571, Terminator 3) is doing a rewrite on David Self's script with the intention to direct. That should be finished in a few weeks," Feige says. This is such a hard sell to get out there, and if they do it with too high a budget it'll be a disaster because of studio interference but too low and it won't be able to tell the story.

- Thor is another project that just got a new lease on life. Matthew Vaughn, who was initially signed to direct X-Men: The Last Stand before dropping out, has agreed to direct the film from a script by Mark Protosevich.I dunno why they keep going to Matthew Vaughn, seems like his style is all wrong for comic book movies like this. But he had the sense to get away from Xmen 3, so that shows he's not stupid. I don't get why the Thor movie keeps stalling, this should be a no-brainer, one of the easier stories to tell on the big screen.

- Feige also clarified whether The Incredible Hulk would be a sequel or a reboot. It's a reboot all the way, he says. "The new Hulk movie will be different from the first one 'cause this one will be good," said Feige. "There are certain elements of the first film that I'm proud of, there are other elements that I'm not. In looking to reboot and start the franchise fresh and new, we wanted to start with a clean slate."Haw! Can't not like that answer IMO. :p

Besides, they teased the Kirby Galactus. When Galactus disrupts Saturn's rings, you can see the shadow of his helmet... wings and all against the planet. And the thing at the heart of the cloud, looked somewhat Galactusish. At least in a couple shots. I'm sure we'll see the "Real" Galactus in the Silver Surfer movie that's being made. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v208/misterbungle/galactus.gifThat wouldn't be enough for me since Ultimate Galactus was the swarm and they were shaped sorta like that too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultimate_Galactus_trilogy

Beast
06-19-2007, 01:38 AM
Yeah, but the Surfer talks about Galactus as if he's a single entity.

Plus he clearly made a bargain with him to save his world. So we'll see. :)

JediTricks
06-19-2007, 04:34 AM
Swarm body with hive mind?

JediTricks
06-26-2007, 03:36 PM
I had to stop in the middle of work to post this...

I've been fairly positive about this Iron Man movie since the casting of Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, and then we saw the classic suit and it was perfect - that's when I started getting a little bit of the "wows!" - then the modern suit and it too looked perfect, and all of a sudden my hopes were slightly charged.

Then I saw this:
http://www.aintitcool.com/node/33090

Hello, my name is JediTricks, and I'm a member of the "OH MY GOD I JUST CRAPPED IN MY PANTS" club. :eek:

Rocketboy
06-26-2007, 04:29 PM
Yeah, I saw that mentioned on cominsoon.net a few days ago.
Awesome.
It was rumored so long ago that he wanted that part in a Nick Fury movie, but this'll be a good starting point.

Actually, they should just rewrite the script and change the name of the movie to "Nick Fury."

Beast
06-26-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, it's going to tick a bunch of purists off. But Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury is one of the most arse-kicking aspects of the Ultimate books. So I say bring it on. :)

Rocketboy
06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
I don't know if it'll tick anyone off or not. Nobody seemed to get their panties in a bunch about Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.
Besides, Sam Jackson is awesome.

Beast
06-26-2007, 08:02 PM
I don't know if it'll tick anyone off or not. Nobody seemed to get their panties in a bunch about Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin.
Besides, Sam Jackson is awesome.
Hahaha. Please. I've heard people on comic boards complain since Daredevil came out that Kingpin isn't black. It's become fairly annoying. They disregard that he's the perfect man for the role, and just focus on his skin color. :p

Rocketboy
06-26-2007, 09:07 PM
Hahaha. Please. I've heard people on comic boards complain since Daredevil came out that Kingpin isn't black. It's become fairly annoying. They disregard that he's the perfect man for the role, and just focus on his skin color. :pReally? Wow, I've always been surprised because that was the one thing about DD that I didn't hear.

And I agree, there is no one that could have been a better Kingpin.

General_Grievous
06-26-2007, 11:00 PM
I'm happy. I think that Ultimate Nick Fury is better anyway.