PDA

View Full Version : Concept Stormtrooper Review

Hellboy
11-04-2003, 06:34 PM
Well the new wave of figures has hit my part of town and I picked up the Concept Stormtrooper today so I'll give him a quick review for those interested.

My first impression upon opening was he didn't look as bad as the pictures made him out to be. His articulation is similar to the CTC Stormtrooper minus the articulated knees but with the addition of wrist articulation on his left hand only. His shield attaches to his arm so he can hold it and the blaster at the same time which I though was cool. The holster looks a bit strange as it is rather large and is attached to a belt that isn't molded to the figure. So basically you can move the belt around his waist but you can't take it off. This looks good and I'd like to see this method applied to any future Stormtroopers we might see. The saber is rather cool looking too sporting a thin white blade thats surrounded by a transparent light blue. I do have one minor gripe concerning the saber because the blue shell doesn't cover the tip leaving the white inner-blade exposed. I'll admit that I was one of the people who bagged on this figure and thought it looked rather poor but he turned out to be quite accurate and though he wasn't my choice in the Fan's Choice Poll I'm glad he was made.

Grade: B+

Kidhuman
11-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Sounds good. Got a pic to post of him? I would like to see it other than the drawings and all.

Hellboy
11-04-2003, 07:27 PM
Sorry kidhuman, I don't own a camera or I would post a pick. One of these days I'll break down and buy one but I'm not a big picture taking guy so the only time it would get used would be for posting pictures online so I've had a hard time justifying purchasing one. Plus it would cut into my SW toy fund and I can't have that. ;)

RussUAE
11-06-2003, 05:40 AM
I never wanted this figure originally - in fact I was pretty annoyed when he won the fans choice. But I have bought him and am actually impressed. He looks so much cooler than I was ever expecting.

I'm not opening him though (I keep a carded figure from each style of card - so this can be my Saga Gold card example). That said, I'm becoming very tempted to open the guy!

darthzirock
11-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I, for one, was very pleased that this won the Fan's Choice poll. I like EU figures, and would love to see an entire series of Concept Art-based figures, such as Vader, Leia, Luke, Han, Obi-Wan, Chewbacca, R2-D2, and C-3P0 from ANH, followed by Yoda, Lando, and Boba Fett in TESB, and The Emperor and Jabba the Hutt, as well as various other aliens (even the initial Ewok designs), from ROTJ.

The "glowing lightsaber" effect sounds great, and it really is the type of thing they should consider making a running change on for all future figures that sport sabers!

plasticfetish
11-08-2003, 02:39 AM
Sounds pretty cool.
I haven't formed an opinion one way or another on this figure ... supposed I'd wait until I saw it first hand. I do like the idea of getting this concept figure. Gonna hope I find one soon ... should probably get out and look a little.

The "glowing lightsaber" effect sounds great, and it really is the type of thing they should consider making a running change on for all future figures that sport sabers!
Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought I'd read some place that they were going to switch to something like this for all figures. (Maybe it was a dream.)

JediTricks
11-08-2003, 04:55 AM
Must have been a dream, Hasbro said they were switching to the integrated blade & hilt design that we've seen in sets like Dlx Ani w/ Geonosian and Ani Secret Ceremony.

Glad to hear people are diggin' this figure, I've always been on board for it so I can't wait to find one... or more. ;)

darthzirock
11-08-2003, 11:23 AM
Maybe I'm nuts, but I thought I'd read some place that they were going to switch to [glowing lightsabers] for all figures. (Maybe it was a dream.)

No, you are neither nuts (at least in regards to this topic) or dreaming. However, what Hasbro was talking about was the current change to the sculpted sabers that are all one-piece. See, the frosted plastic they use now supposedly catches the light better than the old, tinted, clear-plastic blades (circa POTF2-EI). :rolleyes: Okay, I'll give them that--the new blades do look more "glowy" when put under enough light. The operative expression there being "enough light" ... you need to have them under a fairly bright source for the effect to really work. Also, some of the blades still are getting the old type of plastic: Yoda & Chian, Ashla & Jempa, and even Aayla Secura all feature translucent blades instead of the frosted ones. Fortunately, it looks like all the CW figures have the frosted blades--which looks really good in purple for Mace Windu. The blue used for the CW Obi-Wan and Anakin figures is a bit too dark, though. Look at the blades for Hanger Duel Anakin and Coruscant Chase Obi-Wan, and they are a lighter blue that looks much more vibrant under bright light. I'm not sure why Asajj Ventress' blades are more pinkish than red, like Count Dooku's or Sith Training Darth Maul's blades.

I think the glowing core saber blade for the Concept Stormtrooper is a one-time deal, because the manufacturing process is probably a bit more expensive. Hasbro might be willing to eat the extra cost on one figure, but if they were to do this on an ongoing basis, I bet we'd see the SRP go up a bit--at a time when collectors were already told they'd get a lower SRP, yet that never happened. Besides, while the glowing core might work for blue sabers, it might be a bit more problematic for other colors. But, I can dream, can't I? ;)

Turbowars
11-09-2003, 12:03 PM
Man I'm glad I read these Forums. I didn't realize the saber had an inner core, LOL. I found this wave on Friday morning and I have to say I was one of the big time baggers against this figure. Now I have to say it's one of my favorites. I even opened him and that's rare.

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 01:00 PM
This guy has a package pose variation. Check it out!http://www.sirstevesguide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22212

AmanaMatt
11-29-2003, 07:20 PM
Cool variation - if I ever saw this for retail, I'd pick up the upturned one, but no biggie - I wonder why the change - but, either way is fine.

Well, I scored the Sketchtrooper today and gotta say that this fig is slowly (slowly) growing on me. Aside from the Huge holster, this figs looks pretty cool - still has that slight bulk look, but all in all, not terrible. That being said, the only reason that I can accept this fig is the fact that the runner up, the Imperial Dignitaries are also hitting and they look awsome, so I really feel like everyone won this one.

plo koon 200
11-29-2003, 08:02 PM
I was gald when he won the poll. I voted for the Dignitary but still I thought the figure was neat, now only if I could find him and the Dignitary of course.

B'Omarr Monkey
12-20-2003, 07:59 PM
I finally found this figureand have to say that I was one of those initially ambivalent about it, but once I saw it, I couldn't wait to get it out of the package.

The lightsaber does remind me of the inflatable light saber role play toys that came out around 1978, but still works with the figure.