PDA

View Full Version : Disney's 'Brother Bear'

Beast
11-05-2003, 03:41 PM
Wow, I'm suprised that I'm the first person to want to even discuss this. Either I'm the only one that saw it, or it just didn't move people enough to start a thread. But after catching the 9 AM premiere of the Matrix 3, I stayed and watched Brother Bear. I was blown away by this film, it was amazing. I've often said that Disney lost something after Lion King. As there wasn't another Animated Feature from them that was on par with that masterpeice.

But I have to say, that I think I have a new favorite Disney picture. And it's clear that this one was indeed on the back burner since the time of Beauty and the Beast and Lion King. Because unlike their more recent pictures this one was simply amazing. Wonderful animation, story, and voice talents. It's definatly fits in with the darker more emotional stories like Lion King though. It definatly has some scares, that might upset the lil ones. But it's exciting, action packed, funny and heartwarming. The way a good Disney feature should be.

Sadly I waited to long to see it. And they had already moved it out of the largest theater. Which is really a shame. Because it didn't have the same magic that it would have there. Especially since the film is presented in two different aspect ratios to make it even more magical. 1.85:1 for the scenes up until he wakes up after becoming a bear (about 20 minutes) and then 2.35:1 when he's seeing what a great big world is around him.

It's a shame that this is the next to last traditional animated feature. And that all further features will be computer animation. I know Walt was a big fan of technology, and if he were alive the same choices would be made. But it's seems sad in a way, especially after seeing this marvelous movie. I definatly recommend it, and if anyone else here has seen it feel free to post. I eagerly await the DVD, hoping like Finding Nemo it will be a 2-discer. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

mrmiller
11-05-2003, 10:38 PM
Wow JJ, I couldn't agree more. I took my 3 year old to see it this weekend, and we both enjoyed it. I was blown away by how good it was. It is indeed the best animated Disney film in a long, long time. It's instantly one of my favorites. I liked it better than Finding Nemo, myself. Good story line, good character development, good animation, good voice acting, good everything.

=MATT=

bobafrett
11-05-2003, 11:48 PM
I've been waiting as I'm a little short on entertainment money at the moment. I really want to see this at the theatre just like I did with Nemo.

2-1B
11-06-2003, 02:34 AM
Do the bears walk around with human heads underneath ala the McDonald's Happy Meals toys? :confused:
Sorry if it's a dumb question but I got a few of these for my nephew (a brown bear and a wolf) and I couldn't explain to him why the animal heads flip up to reveal a human.
So I told him they're kinda like Transformers. :D

Beast
11-06-2003, 02:54 AM
No, I think at least with the Bear they were just trying to capture the magical transformation that Kenai goes through. So they made him like a transformer figure. Which sorta works, I guess.

Why? Does the Wolf transform as well? Hmm. If so, maybe they were trying to play into the whole 'spirit totems' deal by making all the figures that way. It's possible, either that or they just wanted to give the toys a gimmick.

Because other then Kenai, only his brother Sitka really changes into something else in the movie. And that's into an Eagle (his spirit totem) during the movie. Though I won't talk much about that, for those who haven't seen it yet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-06-2003, 03:13 AM
Thanks for the info. Yep, the wolf changes too, into a boy and he looks similar to the bear boy.
Hell, I'm assuming the wolf is just a repaint of the bear. :)

Beast
12-15-2003, 03:42 PM
Here's the DVD news for Brother Bear. For us Disney Animation fans. Glad to see that it's going to be a 2-disc set. Hopefully there's more specs that haven't been revealed yet. I was hoping for a real commentary on the DVD. Not just the 'kids' one with Rutt & Tuke on the so-called full frame disc. The info is from DVDAnswers, as is the artwork. :)

Title: Brother Bear
Starring: N/A (Animation)
Released: 30th March 2004
SRP: $29.99

Further Details
Disney Home Video have announced the region one release of Brother Bear which features the voices of Joaquin Phoenix and Jeremy Suarez. The disc will be available to own from the 30th March next year and should set you back somewhere in the region of $29.99. The full disc specs for this two disc set are attached below. The artwork has yet to be released I'm afraid, although we do expect to have it shortly:

Disc One:
Full Frame 1.66:1 Presentation
English Dolby Digital 5.1 Track
English DTS 5.1 Surround Track
French & Spanish Language Tracks
Audio Commentary from the Comic Moose Duo Rutt & Tuke
Look Through My Eyes Music Video
Find Your Totem Set-Top Game
Bone Puzzle Set-Top Game
Bear Legends Feature
Making Noise: The Art of Foley Featurette
On My Way Sing Along Song