PDA

View Full Version : The Force is unified and the NJO is OVER!! (Spoilers!)

El Chuxter
11-05-2003, 05:44 PM
The final NJO book, The Unifying Force hit shelves yesterday! How will it all end? Will there be a galaxy left for the Republic and the Vong to share? And will we still care?

I'll check back in about a week or so (after I read the book) with my thoughts on how it all plays out. In the meantime, what's everyone think?

Bel-Cam Jos
11-07-2003, 12:26 AM
My local B&N didn't have it Tuesday. I seldom buy hardcover books, but this one has a "free" CD-ROM. Costco had it for... the actual cover price? :confused: Wha-?!? What's the world coming to?

BTW, I'm just starting The Final Prophesy.

Sentinel18725
11-07-2003, 02:04 AM
I just saw that both the Final Prophecy and Unifying force were out.....I loved this whole story arc...I can't wait to see what happens.

Vortex
11-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Bout time this story line ended.

I personally wanted to see the Vong smashed and descimated, but I don't think I'm going to get my wish.

I'm 1/2 way through the final proph. and its ok so far.

If I had to grade this long drawn out story arc, I'd give it 6 or 7...depending if we loose any other main characters in the final fight/book.

I ordered a signed copy of the unifying force and I haven't gotten it yet, but that's ok, I'm still reading the previous one.

But lets hope they tie up all the loose strings in this and it moves faster than the force heretic books...

dr_evazan22
11-07-2003, 05:43 PM
I had also just finished Fianl Prophesy last weekend. I was in Borders checking out the Hayden article in Interview. I thought this was coming out NEXT week, but saw it sitting on the bottom of a table.

About half way thru, won't reveal anything just yet, give some others time to read it.

dr_evazan22
11-10-2003, 06:09 PM
Alright, I've finished it last night... How about any of you guys? I'm ready to start talking about what I liked and disliked, and things I would like to see more of.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-13-2003, 12:56 AM
Well, I finished The Final Prophesy yesterday, and am starting The Unifying Force now. Not NOW now, but you know. ;) I am actually interested how they're going to end a 4 year long series of books in one 529-page novel. I think TFP left quite a bit open, so I only hope that TUF isn't a cliff-hanger ending that continues even longer.

Does this thread need to be labled "spoilers" to keep discussing details?

El Chuxter
11-13-2003, 01:19 PM
Does this thread need to be labled "spoilers" to keep discussing details?

If folks are ready to discuss, maybe we should. :)

My copy finally arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm about five chapters in. So far it's reading like a typical "the Republic is screwed" NJO book. Not sure how they can wrap this up in this book.

Stupid question: given that you have to read all the books in order to understand the NJO, why does the final book come with a CD of the first book in electronic format? Sense made = zero.

dr_evazan22
11-13-2003, 11:26 PM
Alright, SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

Your right Chux, it does seem that way at the beginning. Since a standard of warfare is to take out leadership and hinder communication I wonder why the YV haven't (hadn't) developed that weapon sooner, to attack the HoloNet.

I was a little disappointed to see Boba Fett, or whoever is believed to be BF, along with the other Mandalorian armor wearing group.

First off, all the other EU sources that show BF living AFTER Jedi I never really considered canon, even though an effort is being made now to include everything that's ever been written.

I hated that BF lived, that he was Dengar's best man, and that he went after Han and Co. in Dark Empire. And let's not forget the very forgettable Bounty Hunter Wars.

And then the group... I was never too big a fan of the idea of a group of Mandalorian Armor wearing people are always bounty hunters. Like that's encoded in their DNA, along with conflict with Jedi.

The only part of BF's appearance that I found halfway decent was what he said to Han.

El Chuxter
11-17-2003, 12:00 PM
I finished this last night, and it's a doozy. It wraps up rather completely--maybe a bit more quickly than would seem possible, but it makes pretty good sense.

First up, my biggest problems with Fett were different from simply his being there. Why is he running around unmasked (something Boba never did as an adult, film or EU)? Why did Han not recognize him sooner (he did see his face in the Dark Empire comics)? And the comment about the Jedi was just weird.

Back to the main subject at hand.

Nice to see the final battle go down relatively bloodless, for the main heroes at least. We'll miss Ackbar, but given that it's old age and we saw it coming, it's not nearly as big a deal as Anakin Solo.

I knew something was up with Onimi several books back, but had no idea how big his secret was. I thought he was just an advisor on whom Shimmra based all his wacky policies. Nice twist.

Pretty cool as well that Jacen pretty much went through the process that killed his brother and survived, and that he learned the secret of Vergere's healing powers. If there are more books to come (aside from the duology or trilogy scheduled for 2005-2006), this boy's going to go far.

I expected Nom Anor to simply stand by Shimrra and get killed by Mara. His becoming Yu'shaa again and allowing himself to die, partly but not entirely redeemed, simply because he wanted no place in the new order, was a surprise and quite fitting.

Overall, I've had some issues with the direction of the NJO overall, but have enjoyed reading it. Except for a few books (notably Balance Point), they've been excellent. I'd like to see Dark Horse or maybe LucasArts fill in some of the holes throughout the series. There have to be tons of stories out there. More backstory on the Vong would be especially nice, or adventures of characters like Dengar or Dash Rendar during this time.

And, while some may think the last line of the book was cheesy, I liked it.

plo koon 200
11-17-2003, 05:25 PM
Han saw Fett's face thrity years ago. I'm sure Fett has gone through prostetic surgery several times since.

THE Slayer
11-18-2003, 10:05 PM
Spoilers....

I didn't really have a with fett considering, that out of the 500+ pages he's in like 10.
I really wish there would have been more of wrap up with Jacen, yeah I know the whole ending revolved around him but I wish he would have ended on more of a "happy" note. I know that he's far too into the force to fall for Danni, but maybe there should have been more of a resolution there. I think he should have talked to Vergere again, albeit through Sekot or more twisting of plot. I loved how Nom Anor was weasily till the very end!!

Bel-Cam Jos
12-06-2003, 02:40 PM
I was actually starting to like the story, probably up to page 350 or so. (Recall the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror line: interest "fading, rising, rising, fading, fading... gone" ). Again, the NJO disappoints me. But, let's be positive.
What did I like:
- The (brief, almost unnecessary) appearance of Boba Fett
- Nom Anor as the best, most complex, most interesting character
- No other major characters dying meaninglessly
- No marriages scheduled
- The use of Alpha Red (not that I liked the mass genocide, but at least it was used as a plot device to show the horrors and unthinkable aspects of war)

What I did not like:
- The "well, that's that" hand-washing after the YZ were defeated
- Shimra's death scene
- Tahiri leaving for wherever

All in all, I give the New Jedi Order (we need some better [read: worse] acronyms for it) series a 6 on a scale of 10. Yawn.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-07-2003, 02:05 PM
I can't be bothered to read this trash. Anyway, the Fluuhziesan Dongs are gone? Is peace restored in the galaxy?

Tycho
12-09-2003, 12:09 AM
Dude! New Jedi Order Rocks!

I am a little behind. I just finished Force Heretic 3: Reunion, and I was really loving it! (especially since book 2 sort of bored me - the Ssruvvi part)

They have to make Jacen and Jaina Solo action figures!

I am off to B&N to buy Final Prophesy and indulge into that.

I JUST HAD TO COME HERE AND READ SPOILERS!

I would so much have killed off Han, Luke, Mara, Lando, and Leia. Or most of them.

The on-going deaths would have made the storyline so much more passionate and desperate - even as dark as it already was.

The pattern for each SW generation is to be killed off and replaced by the young.

It is time that Jaina, Jacen, Tahiri, and Jagged Fel inherit the SW Universe - possibly to see Ben Skywalker rise in his own way.

Yeah, come to think of it, I'd have surely let Luke live, maybe Han too. But the death of Princess Leia would have huge ramifications on all of them.

I don't know. I think killing Luke would be the hardest to do. He's sort of still got a great role to play that's really capable of being taken on by no one else in the SW universe.

But I also like it that all my regular heroes still lived (minus Chewbacca and Anakin Solo).

But at some point they are getting just too lucky!

Phantom-like Menace
12-09-2003, 04:17 AM
I stopped reading just after Anakin died (since he was the only thing keeping me interested), but I wanted to know one thing: Did Luke reform the Jedi Council? I know in the first book in one of the first chapters he mentioned wanting to reestablish it, but then five years of war got in the way of that, but I figured, had I read until the end, I would have been rewarded with his doing so. Would I have been.

Tycho
12-09-2003, 04:39 AM
Yes, but to prevent the Jedi from being suspect and being perceived as aloof to the Gallactic Alliance's needs (the renamed New Republic - since that was about all but destroyed anyway, and the GA now encompasses the Empire, the P'weck, and the Chiss, plus Zenoma Sekot) the Jedi Council was made to include only 6 real Jedi Masters, and 6 non-Jedi, representing the military cmdr. in chief, a representative from the Senate, a rep from the Chancellor's office, someone from the Refugee Relief & Resettlement (SELCOR), and 2 others, I forget who they were.

In this case, the Jedi could not be assumed to be all-powerful.

The Jedi on the Council were Luke, Mara, Kenth Hamner, Kam Solasar, Kyp Durron, and dissenting Jedi Jacen Solo, I believe. Not sure about Jacen, since he wasn't a Jedi Master, but Luke thought his rebelling point of view ought to be heard by the Council, I believe.

Vergere returned to Alliance Space (headquartered at Mon Calamari, the capitol now) but she refused to recognize Luke's group as a Jedi Council. She trained Jacen as her apprentice for a while - and in very unorthodox ways for either an Old Republic or New Jedi Order Jedi Knight.

It was so worth reading. Jacen gets much more interesting, as annoying as his pacifist indecisiveness had been before. It is all building up for a reason.

The story has gotten awesome, IMO.

Phantom-like Menace
12-09-2003, 09:24 AM
Awesome, Tycho. And thanks for naming the members too. You're help is always appreciated.

Thanks

dr_evazan22
12-09-2003, 09:39 AM
Some of my favorite books from the series were the ones that focused on Jacen's training and/or Vergere. I would have been nice if she had lived longer to teach Luke more.

In Final Prohpecy I would have liked to've seen more of the Vong surrender and how they handled that. Being a warrior race, i would think that they would have a hard time surrendering. I guess they modelled the surrender after Japan's surrender at WW2.

Eternal Padawan
01-13-2004, 06:37 PM
Did anyone catch the passage where Leia was musing about her mother "fighting to save her world"? Does this mean that Luke and Leia already know who their mother was? And here i was hoping for an in depth series down the road where the find all the answers..turns out they've known for some time.

maybe it'll be a retro active filler novel (or series) a la Tatooine Ghost. It just frustrates me that if they "found out" about mom a long time ago, they've never mentioned her in "later" novels written before Episodes 1-3 came out.

And what ever happened to Calista? Luke's sorta ex-girlfriend? Being a pseudo Jedi, i would've figured her turning up at some point....

El Chuxter
01-13-2004, 07:02 PM
Similar to poor old Bevel Lemelisk, who was killed, cloned, and killed again ad nauseum by Palpatine, Callista is currently being cloned over and over so that every SW fan can have the chance to personally kill her off in whatever manner he or she deems fit.