PDA

View Full Version : Big plans for Anchor Bay’s DAWN OF THE DEAD DVD

darthzirock
11-06-2003, 03:14 AM
At this past weekend’s Chiller Theatre convention in New Jersey, Fangoria Magazine got the scoop on the DAWN OF THE DEAD special edition coming from Anchor Bay Entertainment. The company has completed a new transfer of George Romero’s zombie classic, which Fango got a peek at and looks absolutely stunning; it’ll come out as a single-disc release in early 2004. Then, sometime in the spring, Anchor Bay will unleash a boxed set that looks to be a high-water mark for DVD horror releases. The set, which will contain at least three and possibly up to five discs, will showcase both the theatrical version and the longer uncut edition of DAWN, with discussions under way to include the European ZOMBI cut as well. An audio commentary by producer Richard Rubinstein has already been completed, and plans are to record a new track with Romero and Tom Savini as well. There will also be a huge still gallery and lots of other features yet to be announced.

James Boba Fettfield
11-10-2003, 03:31 PM
I'm waiting for the box set of Dawn. I got an OOP disc to hold me until then.

I just hope they are able to include Dario Argento's cut of the film. But possibly five discs, what will they include? Maybe three discs for the three cuts, and two discs of extras? That's quite a bit, but I'm sure Romero and Savini have a lot they can put out for this.

James Boba Fettfield
03-15-2004, 04:01 AM
http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/future/

There have been a few folks asking about this set, and soon we will be revealing the details of what promises to be the most extensive edition of any title in Anchor Bay's history! The release is planned for September, and you can expect multiple versions of the film as well as new commentary tracks and interviews galore. Much more TBA!

It's a very minor update, but it's good to see Anchor Bay is keeping the word fresh on the box set. Let's hope they hold to the September release.

Also, for Caesar, that link will give you the latest specs on what the new AB Creepshow 2 dvd will offer.

Hellboy
03-16-2004, 04:43 PM
The link doesn't seem to be working anymore JBF.

As far as the DVD goes, 5 Discs? :eek: Wow, now that is what I call a special edition. 2 discs of extras would be incredible but all 3 versions of the film is a must. Last I heard the set was scheduled for a late '04 release so according to this its to be released this spring? If thats the case that is indeed great news. :cool:

James Boba Fettfield
03-16-2004, 06:46 PM
Looks like the whole Anchor Bay site is down at the moment, Hellboy.

As for the box set release, Anchor Bay said September 2004 in their update they made Friday.

2-1B
03-19-2004, 02:07 AM
Awesome, thanks JBF. :)

Dawn is a lock for going into my collection and I'll definitely consider upgrading on Creepshow 2.

I also took note of the Night of the Demons DVD coming out - I might have to replace my VHS copy . . . nothing like a full frontal shot of Linnea, eh ? (Return of the Living Dead doesn't count)

James Boba Fettfield
04-20-2004, 04:25 PM
There's a another bit of news on the big set hitting this fall. Taken from the rumor section of Davis DVD:

Ken Foree, who played SWAT team member Peter Washington in George Romero's original 1978 Dawn of the Dead, has confirmed that he was recently contacted by Anchor Bay Entertainment about doing a commentary track on the upcoming special edition mega set. Joining him on the planned track will be fellow actors David Emge, Scott Reiniger and Gaylen Ross, who play the living refugees who hole up in a shopping mall after the world is overrun by zombies. Dawn of the Dead: Special Edition will include multiple versions of the film, as well as new interviews and documentaries. Tentatively look for a release in September. Thanks to Sci Fi Wire.

http://www.davisdvd.com/news/rumors.html

Jedi_Master_Guyute
04-20-2004, 05:28 PM
Thats' pretty awesome, JBFF!! It should be interesting to hear the original zombie fighting foursome discussing the film. I'll be looking forward to it. I just hope to high heaven that the september date HOLDS and it doesn't get kicked back again. :D

2-1B
04-21-2004, 02:32 AM
Hit and run !

B'Omarr Monkey
04-21-2004, 11:41 PM
I think we can count on September. That's when all the horror movies start rolling out in time for Halloween.

James Boba Fettfield
05-18-2004, 05:30 PM
DavisDVD says this is coming on September 7. What a way to celebrate my birthday.

Beast
06-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Full news on the big Dawn of the Dead boxset. Sounds tasty guys. :)

Fango has just learned the complete contents of Anchor Bay Entertainment’s four-DVD DAWN OF THE DEAD special edition, which streets September 7. This astounding package will contain:

DISC ONE: U.S. THEATRICAL VERSION
(same contents as March’s single-disc release)
• Widescreen presentation (1.85:1) enhanced for 16x9 TVs
• Audio commentary by writer/director George A. Romero, makeup FX creator Tom Savini and assistant director Chris Romero, moderated by Perry Martin
• Theatrical trailers
• TV spots
• Radio spots
• Poster & advertising gallery
• George A. Romero biography
• Comic book preview
• 5.1 DTS Surround sound
• 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
• 2.0 Dolby Surround
• Original mono track

DISC TWO: EXTENDED VERSION
• Audio commentary by producer Richard P. Rubinstein, moderated by Perry Martin
• Monroeville Mall commercial
• Behind-the-scenes photo gallery
• Memorabilia gallery
• Production stills
• Original mono track

DISC THREE: EUROPEAN VERSION
• Audio commentary by actors David Emge, Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger and Gaylen Ross
• International theatrical trailers
• UK TV spots
• International lobby card gallery
• International poster & advertising gallery
• International pressbook gallery
• U.S. & international home video & soundtrack artwork
• Dario Argento biography
• 5.1 Dolby Surround sound
• 2.0 Dolby Surround
• Original mono track

DISC FOUR: DOCUMENTARIES
• DOCUMENT OF THE DEAD, The original documentary filmed during the making of DAWN by Filmmaker Roy Frumkes
• THE DEAD WILL WALK, an all-new 75-minute documentary featuring interviews with cast and crew members Claudio Argento, Dario Argento, Pat Buba, Tony Buba, Zilla Clinton, David Crawford, David Early, David Emge, Ken Foree, Michael Gornick, John Harrison, Clayton Hill, Sharon Ceccatti-Hill, Jim Krut, Leonard Lies, Scott H. Reiniger, Chris Romero, George A. Romero, Gaylen Ross, Tom Savini and Claudio Simonetti
• On-set home movies with audio commentary by zombie extra Robert Langer
• Monroeville Mall tour with Romero

No retail price information is available yet, but it sounds like a bargain at any price…
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-11-2004, 09:18 PM
OH.
MY.
God.

i have to change my pants. I just did about 3 different excrements at once. Thank you for postin, Mr. Binks. :D

2-1B
06-12-2004, 01:08 AM
Glorious !

That European commentary with our 4 heroes has me salivating at the mouth !

So I can basically ditch my March Dawn DVD when the time comes ?
Nah, I'll hold on to it.

Hey, should I assume that this relese will be timed closely to the Dawn Remake DVD release ?

Hellboy
06-12-2004, 02:23 AM
I hate to complain but why couldn't the Extended Cut get a 5.1 soundtrack like the other 2 versions? Even 2.0 Dolby Surround would be better than just the original mono track? :dis:

Oh well, everything else sounds like a dream set. The extras should be amazing, I can't wait.

Beast
06-12-2004, 02:30 AM
Probably because the extended cut footage wasn't available with decent sound masters. And it was the only way of delivering the extended version without having to cheat a fake 5.1 or even 2.0 surround track. Not to mention film purists love the original mono tracks. And would have probably had kittens if there wasn't a mono version on there somewhere. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
06-23-2004, 10:28 PM
The Anchor Bay website now has a feature up about the upcoming 4-Disc Set. :)

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/dawnofthedead/

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
06-24-2004, 04:53 AM
What a tease ! :p

I clicked on 'packaging artwork' and it said "coming soon." :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-07-2004, 02:08 AM
dry your eyes, dear Cesar, for the artwork pics are now up!!

Now, i tried to attatch them, but the files were too huge and if i cropped them anymore, they looked hideous. So, just click on the link:

http://www.anchorbayentertainment.com/dawnofthedead/artwork.asp

There you have the artwork. Be sure to check out the menu screenshots, as they look fantastic!! :crazed:

I can't wait!! :D

Hellboy
07-07-2004, 10:37 PM
Looks fantastic!!

The menu screens are way cool, I can hear the music already. :classic:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
08-30-2004, 10:48 PM
Here is a FANTASTIC review of hte DVD set.

http://www.horrordvds.com/modules.php?name=Reviews&file=viewreview&id=138

That pic of Foree with the smoke and chillin' by the wall is my new wallpaper. :crazed:

great review..and i found it...all by myself. :D

Beast
08-30-2004, 10:52 PM
great review..and i found it...all by myself. :D
Surrrrrrrrrrrrre you did. He's lost his grip on reality. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-09-2004, 05:47 PM
well, i finally got my set from Amazon and so far i am LOVING this box set. I'm watching the Extended Cut as it's my favorite of the American versions. I'll probably check out the European cut sometime, but i'm DEFINATELY going to watch all the extras this weekend. The packaging on this thing is totally awesome and i love the smal map of monroeville mall and the DOTD comic.

Way to go, anchor bay!! :D

Hellboy
09-09-2004, 06:09 PM
Yeah this is a wonderful set. I've been going through mine as well and plan on watching all the documentaries this weekend.

I love the Extended cut too but its to bad the sound wasn't remastered and some of the music problems surrounding the additional scenes weren't fixed. Oh well, other than that though I have no complaints.

Oh wait I do have one more complaint. The color on the European version does indeed seem to be off a bit when compared to the others but it's not a big deal as this is my least favorite version of the three.

B'Omarr Monkey
09-09-2004, 11:13 PM
I watched the extended cut last night as well as checking out the memorabilia section, which, like other supplements of this type, could do with a bit of textual accompaniment as to what it is we are looking at. It's mostly self explanatory, but still.

My only real gripe, and we could spend a lot of time on the general acting merits of any Romero movie, but I'd forgottan how much I couldn't stand that over the top crazy SWAT team member from the beginning of the movie. That has to rank (perfect word) as one of the worst performances ever.

I'm looking forward to going through disc four this weekend as well.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-10-2004, 12:44 AM
I watched the extended cut last night as well as checking out the memorabilia section, which, like other supplements of this type, could do with a bit of textual accompaniment as to what it is we are looking at. It's mostly self explanatory, but still.

My only real gripe, and we could spend a lot of time on the general acting merits of any Romero movie, but I'd forgottan how much I couldn't stand that over the top crazy SWAT team member from the beginning of the movie. That has to rank (perfect word) as one of the worst performances ever.

I'm looking forward to going through disc four this weekend as well.

lol Oh, wally in all his glory. Hey, he was just excited to get Martinez and his buddies out of the building. Cut'em some slack! :crazed:

I still feel sorry for old Roy Tucker who got capped by the first shot fired. Poor fella; first night on the job and bam, one in the forehead! :D

B'Omarr Monkey
09-12-2004, 01:43 AM
I've now watched all the supplemental material on disc 4. The two documentaries are good. The home movies are actually the most entertaining feature on this disc. The tour of the mall is very poorly put together. It is a choppy home video that is very disjointed. It was nice to see the mall in the present day, but the tour by Ken Foree was not really followed by the "filmmaker" who wandered around pretty randomly making inane comments along the way. There is also an easter egg of sorts if you click to the right once you are at the bottom of the menu. A zombie in profile lights up. Selecting this takes you to an odd bit of footage of a Buddhist monk explaining that he is a big fan of "Dawn of the Dead." The point to this piece escapes me.

I'm guessing that easter eggs can be found on the other discs by following the same procedure, but I haven't tried it yet myself.

2-1B
10-13-2005, 03:52 AM
Errrr, um, I'm kinda embarrassed to admit this guys, it took me over a year to get to it, but I finally watched the Cannes Extended cut last night. :nerv:
Pretty cool ! But I don't think I like it better than the theatrical cut. Am I mistaken, or was there some different music ? I think so . . . and I didn't care as much for it. So what do you guys think of the different scenes ? Joe Pilato is more visible, eh ? And the whole thing with the police dock was interesting. Frannie's nude shot :D . . . the extended talk in the bird about Peter and his brothers . . . I had more notes in my head last night but now I forgot.

Oh, and I still haven't watched Zombi yet and I will get to it this Halloween season, but I think I'll just go right to the commentary with our heroes because it doesn't sound like I'll need to hear much audio for this cut. Interestingly enough, and I already knew that the Zombi cut had dialogue cut out and more action-fied for foreign release, but anyway in the commentary with Rubenstein on the Cannes cut, he said originally Argento got the UK as his non-foreign language exception but when he submitted the film it got hammered by the censor and they wanted like 20 or more minutes cut. But then they submitted George's cut which was only a small portion longer yet it had all the drama and character motivation intact so it made the violence much more redeemable and therefore they only had to cut a little bit. Fascinating stuff, I felt. :)

So yeah, I gotta get on that Foreign cut. ;) And while I have the box set open, I should revisit the documentaries on it, I haven't watched those in over a year either. Good stuff though.

UKWildcat
05-05-2008, 01:01 PM
This bad boy is on sale at DeepDiscount (http://www.deepdiscount.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-DVD---Anchor-Bay-Sale_stcVVproductId5735937VVcatId479940VVviewprod. htm) right now for $15. If you don't own it, buy it!!!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
05-05-2008, 01:13 PM
This bad boy is on sale at DeepDiscount (http://www.deepdiscount.com/Dawn-of-the-Dead-DVD---Anchor-Bay-Sale_stcVVproductId5735937VVcatId479940VVviewprod. htm) right now for $15. If you don't own it, buy it!!!

DAYUM! That price is INSANE! I'm tempted just to buy many copies to use as gifts: christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, easter, etc.

and coming up: Mother's Day! :thumbsup:

There is also a new remastered version of the original night due out.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/night-of-the-living-dead2.html

I'll probably just stick to my millenium version I have. I prefer my B/W movies to be a bit grainy as they were meant to be seen.

UKWildcat
05-06-2008, 04:55 PM
DAYUM! That price is INSANE! I'm tempted just to buy many copies to use as gifts: christmas, birthdays, anniversaries, easter, etc.

If you think that price is insane, look at this one: DOTD Ultimate Edition @ Walmart. (http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3208908) Too bad it is out of stock. Some people have been able to order it for this price off WM web site, ship to store for free too. I've been checking every now and then b/c it apparently comes back in stock every once in a while. I'd definitely pick up some extras at that price to give as gifts, and maybe even re-sell. :D

EDIT: Went back up in price, was $3.86.

There is also a new remastered version of the original night due out.

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/night-of-the-living-dead2.html

I'll probably just stick to my millenium version I have. I prefer my B/W movies to be a bit grainy as they were meant to be seen.

I'm with you, I'll stick with the Millennium Edition, although I hear the documentary "One for the Fire: The Legacy of Night of the Living Dead" is supposed to be pretty good. But overall, doesn't seem like there is enough new material to warrant a double-dip/upgrade.