PDA

View Full Version : Wizard World Texas

JediCole
11-06-2003, 04:40 PM
This section seems to be the most ignored of all on SSG. I cannot be the only one here who enjoys a good toy and comic show or indeed, a full blown convention.

Anyway, Wizard World is coming to Texas and it's going to be in JediCole's own back yard! So to speak. I for one will enjoy a mere 5 minute drive from my front door to the Arlington Convention Center to enjoy a full weekend of fun from November 21-23!

I am wondering if any of my fellow SSG members will be attending (other than DingoDad of course, who will be helping out Mrs. JediCole and I at our booth). Sound off here if you are going to WWT and of course, please stop by and say hello if you are. We always enjoy meeting folks like Jedi Boulton, Adam, and Short4AStormtrooper (to name a few we've met in person). Our booth will be fairly close to Artist's Alley with only one other booth next to us (not on one of the full rows of booths back to back), so we should be fairly easy to find there.

Plus I'll get to meet one of my personal influences, Kevin Smith! Jason Mewes will also be there (a.k.a. Jay and Silent Bob) along with Allison Mack (Smallville's Chloe), Guest of Honor George Perez, Jim Lee, Kurt Buiek, Peter Mayhew, Lou Ferigno, and many other comic artists and writers and other guests! If you can be in Arlington, Texas in a couple of weeks, you really ought to check this out!

rabidewok
11-09-2003, 10:04 PM
Ah man, I wanna go so bad! Uhm, how far away is Arlington from San Antonio. We just moved here a few months ago so I'm clueless where everything is.

Hubby's going to freak if it's not too far away!

JediCole
11-11-2003, 11:31 AM
Ah man, I wanna go so bad! Uhm, how far away is Arlington from San Antonio. We just moved here a few months ago so I'm clueless where everything is.

Hubby's going to freak if it's not too far away!

Arlington is in the Dallas/Fort Worth area (almost dead center between the two cities). San Antonio (one of Mrs. JediCole and my favorite places to visit) is about a five hour drive from the DFW area. That may be in the range of "too far away" depending on how you define a distance that is too great or within reason for something like this. Drop me a line if you need more details. The trip from San Antonio to the DFW area is a fairly straight shot and the Arlington Convention Center is not far from I-30, so it is traveler friendly.

bobafett07728
11-11-2003, 12:57 PM
This section seems to be the most ignored of all on SSG. I cannot be the only one here who enjoys a good toy and comic show or indeed, a full blown convention.

I check this section out, but rarely is there anything around my area (NJ). I do see there is a show coming up next year, so I am really psyched!

BTW. . . I went to Wizard World Philly last year, and it was great (don't think they had one in Philly this year :confused: ) Met a lot of cool people from the SW trilogy. Oh yeah. . . Kevin Smith was there, too. He's actually from Red Bank, NJ. . . so he's REAL accessible around here. He actually has a Comic Store in Red Bank. Not the best store, but it was a lot of cool props from his movies on display. If you are ever in the area. . . you'd definitely enjoy it.

Hope you enjoy the convention!!!!

2-1B
11-11-2003, 01:05 PM
Sure they had a Wiz in Philly this year, it was the last day in May/first weekend of June. It was a few months before the Chicago show.

Kevin Smith was in Chicago this year but we didn't get to "meet" him, he just did a group Q&A. No autographs either, but we could buy them from his View Askew booth.

Lou Ferrigno is cool but you better have your $20 bill ready when you go up to him. I got him last year in Chicago so I didn't get him again this year but some poor sap of a kid asked me to use his camera while he met Lou. The kid naively thought Lou would sign his magazine but of course Lou needed the money first. THEN the kid tried to get just a pic with Lou and he was shot down on that request, too.
It's a serious business. :D

bobafett07728
11-11-2003, 01:35 PM
Sure they had a Wiz in Philly this year, it was the last day in May/first weekend of June. It was a few months before the Chicago show.

Wow! How did I miss that? They must not have publicized it as well as last year, and I was actually looking for information on it!?!?!? Couldn't even find info on the website. . . hmm. . . guess there is always next year.

rabidewok
11-11-2003, 05:03 PM
Well I PMed you. I probably wouldn't have the money to go anyways. I hate it when I see a gazillion things I want and I can't buy a thing.

Poo we moved RIGHT before Dragoncon in Atlanta was about to go on. Why do I miss all the good stuff!

What ever happened to signing autographs for nothing or at least cheap?

JediCole
11-11-2003, 08:25 PM
What ever happened to signing autographs for nothing or at least cheap?

One word...eBay.

In all fairness, it is not just eBay, in fact the problem predates eBay, but was certainly made worse by the advent of the online explosion. You see, back in the day (I attended my first conventions at the tender age of 15) guests at conventions and shows did sign for free. One alway assumed that they were paid handsomely for their presence at the show.

Then the collector's market exploded and the internet fueled the fire beyond imagining. There are probably about 1,000 or more auctions on eBay on any given day that feature celebrity autographs. The effect of this is that media guests (movies, tv, etc.) feel compelled to charge for their autographs. There are two reasons for this. Number one, it logically limits the number of autographs they are compelled to sign at a sitting (Mrs. JediCole and I stood in line for 3.5 hours for Marina Sirtis' autograph, at no charge, at a creation convention which illustrates that problem for the guest) and, number two, it gives them a little something for assisting those getting their autographs in turning ordinary photographs, toys, and collectibles into valuable photographs, toys, and collectibles. So there are some reasons that this happens, agree or disagree with the logic behind them.
At least comic writers and artists (for the most part) do not charge for their signatures, so it is nice when a show has guests of that ilk (like at Wizard World). There will be some "big names" there so it will be intersting to see if they charge to sign.