PDA

View Full Version : What did you think of the first episode of the Clone Wars cartoon?

Tycho
11-07-2003, 07:57 PM
Tonight is the premier of the Cartoon Network's CLONE WARS!

And it is the first return for new Star Wars programming to TV in over 15 years.

Telling the tale of Anakin Skywalker and Obi-Wan Kenobi between the time since the first shots of the Clone Wars were fired on Geonosis, until the end of the great galactic battles in Episode 3, there have been novels, young reader stories, video games, and comics.

Now we can also discuss what is sure to be a legendary cartoon!

So what did you think of the first episode of The Clone Wars: The Annimated Series?

Beast
11-07-2003, 08:10 PM
Ok, that was definatly awesome as hell. The voice talents were even pretty good. The only one that I didn't really like was the one that did 'Supreme Chancellor Palpatine's' voice. But other then that, it kicked arse. Totally in vein with the Star Wars saga, and I hope that it eventually leads into an actual 30 minute series at some point. And let Gendy do that also. The look of the show fits Star Wars perfectly. And the ending with Anakin and Padme sharing a last look before he leaves, and they both put their hands on the glass. Such a powerful scene. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-07-2003, 08:21 PM
I loved it, the first episode really changed my initial feelings about this series. The one thing I didn't like was 3PO and the cloak, but the rest was good. Voices didn't bother, and I loved how Palpatine forced his say in having Anakin be a leader against the words of Obi Wan.

Kidhuman
11-07-2003, 08:22 PM
It was pretty cool. Alot better than what I thought it would be. Just hope they get in depth more with battle scenes and all. Palpy looked funny as hell though.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-07-2003, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=James Boba Fettfield] The one thing I didn't like was 3PO and the cloak, but the rest was good.[QUOTE]

Let's face it, JBFF, 3PO's interaction with the cloak could've been MUCH worse. He could've been like "woah waoh!" and gotten lost in it and slipped and fallen, knocking R2 off the platform into the back of Anakins ship and then lift off pressure shoots R2 off the platform, but he uses his rocket boosts and lands. Then Threepio stand up and be like "I've had the most peculiar dream."

I loved it, but it ended much to soon!! I wanted more!!! :D

Beast
11-07-2003, 08:34 PM
I didn't mind the C-3PO and the Cloak bit. I think it's just a good way of showing Anakin's priorities are so changable. In E1 he's the droid's creator, so proud of C-3PO. And then the minute that he gets to go with Qui-Gon he just makes a cheap apology to C-3PO and scrams. He's starting to see C-3PO just like most people seem to see droids in the Star Wars universe. Just a tool, and not worthy of being treated with respect. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Lord Malakite
11-07-2003, 09:17 PM
What Guyute said, seemed too short. Didn't feel like 5 minutes. Other than that I liked it.

kool-aid killer
11-07-2003, 09:18 PM
I just got off work so i missed it but from what my brother told me it was cool. I liked the part with Anaking in his ship ready to depart and the look he gives Padme. You can tell hes sad and she is too. I dont think he worried about not ever seeing her again, he just wanted to be with her. I kept thinking about that shot (i seen it in one of the commercials) while i was working today. Needless to say i was very depressed at work.

Tycho
11-07-2003, 09:42 PM
OK, it re-runs at midnight. (some stories say 1am) - Somebody east coast please confirm...

Meanwhile, it comes on in the first 10 minutes of programming in the 8 o'clock showing. I'd set VCRs or eyes on the TV between 7:55 and 8:10 (unless you really like Pokemon or something...).

Note: it will be shown every WEEK night at 8pm during whatever is the regular programming. Only tonight (I hope) it happens to be Pokemon.

keithfite
11-07-2003, 09:43 PM
It was awsome. the DVD will be good so you can see more at one time. But the scenes were cool and it was great how they used music from the films. It helped give you the familiar star wars feeling. I enjoyed it. cant wait to see ventress, durge and kit fisto in the water.

InsaneJediGirl
11-07-2003, 09:54 PM
I loved the short.Although my only complaint it was too short and Palpy sounded just slightly odd.The voice wasnt all that bad.My favorite part would have to be when Obi-Wan thinks back on Qui-Gon and how he couldnt have prepared the Jedi either.The Anakin and Padme scene was great as well:)

gsr-jedi
11-07-2003, 11:13 PM
Yeah, this definitely seemed way too short. But all in all, it was very cool. What were those ships that looked like Imperial Shuttles? I hadn't seen those before. It was short and had a lot of great scenes. Can't wait till Monday

nohagent
11-07-2003, 11:22 PM
What the H E double hockeysticks was that. TOO SHORT. It was good, but the length was extremely disappointing. At least there were no commercials. I do not know why everyone is complaining about Palpy and 3po though. Palpy was fine, and I would not expect less from 3po.

darthzirock
11-07-2003, 11:26 PM
What Guyute said, seemed too short. Didn't feel like 5 minutes. Other than that I liked it.

That's because they are only THREE minutes long! :crazed:

Tycho
11-07-2003, 11:29 PM
Those were like a modified version of cloak-shape fighters (Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels). These ships have been around for a long time in the SW universe, and the Republic must have used what they had. The repositioning ventral stabalizer fin is new to a cloak-shape, or I'd never noticed one before in comics. So I don't think that aspect of it was standard for these fighters.

I hope HASBRO makes a cloak-shape clone fighter!

SaeSee Tiin's Jedi Starfighter is red, but I also saw green and blue ships amongst the Jedi squadrons.

You can see a snipit of Kit Fisto leading a charge underwater in one scene, but his episode is still forthcoming.

I think I want Anakin's starfighter even more now.... (grrrrr. The most money I can save on SW toys is by not buying that latest Emperor figure...) And I'll probably buy a few Jedi Starfighters and make myself a squadron.... (Please help me resist!)

Anyway, my favorite scene is when Anakin waves to Padme, as she watches him depart off to war.

Great 'Toon!

Can't wait for more - and darn straight - they tease you bad by not making it last longer!

Yoda'sMaster
11-07-2003, 11:37 PM
oh man that was great i too loved the part when anakin and padme say good bye. but i have one question how did c-3po and r2 get from the platform all the way up to padme's apartment by the time anakin got up there? can they teleport now? lol:confused:

Turambar
11-08-2003, 12:05 AM
Darn! I missed it. It didn't air at midnight here in Eastern Time Zone either. I'll check again at 1AM.

Lord Malakite
11-08-2003, 12:06 AM
That's because they are only THREE minutes long! :crazed:
The commercials on Cartoon Network say they are 5 minutes long.

Sidiously Darth
11-08-2003, 12:09 AM
Excellent, this first episode was. More, I wait to see.

DCMc, you still trying to download that thing.

I heard that it's almost impossible to download. There are so many people trying it get the short that it's causing a bottleneck.

Darth Jax
11-08-2003, 12:38 AM
most excellent. i'm eagerly awaiting more. the timeframe fits the editting and animation style. definitely will need the dvd to watch them back to back.

when pictures first appeared of anakin's starfighter i thought it was awful, now that i've seen it in the cartoon it seems great. i can't wait to get it now.

was great how they played up palpy's scheming and posturing to get his way. he's becoming much less subtle as he gains more power.

the cartoon makes a great companion with what we see in the comics.

plasticfetish
11-08-2003, 02:27 AM
I hope HASBRO makes a cloak-shape clone fighter!Oh yeah!

I think I want Anakin's starfighter even more now...Oh yeah! Ditto.
-----------------
(What I said in that other thread.)

Great stuff!

3 minutes seemed like 3 seconds though. The kid and I sat and watched it ... he says after it's over, "That's it 'til Monday?" A little bit like getting one lick from an ice cream cone, and then having to wait a few days for another.

But, I thought it looked great. For something so short it had some nice detail ... Palpatine's clacking nails was great. The ships, scenery, all of it felt very Star Wars. Even heard my wife say, "I'd rather watch this than the movies." I was pretty sure that I'd be happy with it, I love the style, but I'm even a little surprised at how well it works in this case.

Looking forward to more.
-----------------
BTW Tycho, I'm gonna try and tape it at midnight. (Thanks for the tip. I hope it's on.) If I get it, I'll be able to pull stills from VHS. (In case we want to look at anything in particular in detail.)

jeffonthego
11-08-2003, 03:17 AM
DCMc, you still trying to download that thing.

I heard that it's almost impossible to download. There are so many people trying it get the short that it's causing a bottleneck.

Well I don't know about a bottleneck, no one's even got it up on KaZaA yet according to my "clone wars" search.

IRC should be the first place, if anyone comes across it, please post the server/channel. Thanks!

JediTricks
11-08-2003, 05:19 AM
You know, it went by so fast that even though I saw the whole thing, I almost have to vote for: "Darn! I missed it! Well, I'll tell you all when I've finally seen something of it."

To clarify, there are no listings here on the west coast showing any reruns. The show started at 8:01pm with a some Cartoon Network lead-in stuff and was out just over halfway through 8:04pm.

I'm going to buck the current love trend here and say I didn't really like it that much. Some of the art wasn't too horrible, but stuff like Yoda and Anakin didn't sit well with me. Much of the action felt more like Genndy's other stuff (Samurai Jack & Dexter's Lab) than SW to me, though the only parts that I remember feeling were not working were the Jedi making a very long jump from the gunship and Anakin's Force push of the SBDs and a slice of a large circle of SBDs all at the same time. The art on Anakin keeps coming back to really bother me, it just doesn't feel at all right. Didn't think squat of the opening titles. At first I was digging the use of SW music, but somewhere around the middle it started to get forced. The integration of CG graphics came off with mixed results.

Ultimately, the biggest detriment to the show was the ultra-short run time of 3 minutes. This felt like a choppy, almost incoherent trailer rather than the first chapter of this story. I'm sure Genndy and crew could have spent an easy 20 minutes actually telling the story they attempted to shoehorn into the scant blink of an eye that they got; at the end I felt like I actually had blinked and missed most of it, and thanks to the MTV-era lightning editing, I didn't really get a chance to digest most of what I saw -- which could either be interpretted as an evil born of necessity or an editing trick to hide a hollow show, or possibly some third option that just ain't dawning on me. But the bottom line is that the format is going to tell the world's choppiest 30-minute story when it's all over and I don't feel drawn to trying to watch that unfurl every night for a couple minutes a night, it's just not rewarding enough.

... and don't get me started on that hair's-breadth of a trailer for chapter 2. ;)

2-1B
11-08-2003, 06:19 AM
I vote "it was average but I'll still tape every show just because I can't imagine missing it." :D

Obi-Wan sounded GREAT, Yoda was a bit goofy to me and Anakin sounded . . . oh yeah, I don't know how he sounds because instead of mouthing off to Obi-Wan like he SHOULD have, he just made that dumb "shoulder scrunch and glare" look at Obers. Padme nearly made me LOL because she looked a bit silly, I don't know why but she did.

I have a feeling that this will be my favorite chapter because I am NOT looking forward to the introduction of Durge and Ventress. I'll try to keep an open mind but those two feel REALLY cheap to me. :(

Still, I have to say that I was excited going into it and it's just cool to have some new product. :) :) :)

Hey, am I going to have to watch that same idiot introduce the show every night? :confused: The girl they had was alright but damn that guy annoyed me. And what gives with his slag against SW fans for "usually being home on Friday nights" (or something to that effect) ???
Umm, sorry guy . . . but you are on a Friday night CARTOON show. So shut up. :rolleyes:

jeffonthego
11-08-2003, 06:24 AM
Well I don't know about a bottleneck, no one's even got it up on KaZaA yet according to my "clone wars" search.

Just an update, in last few hours have now found three of at least five Clone Wars promos on KaZaA. Am also queued up for a 40MB mpeg file purporting to be the first Chapter.

Now let's see how long it takes me to download this baby!

Bacta Beast
11-08-2003, 10:52 AM
I missed it because I was wasting 2 Hrs. of my life on Matrix:Revolutuions, & that one, in my opinion sucks!!!!! I can say this about the cartoon though, I hate, hate, Hate the animation !!!! But it sounds like the stories are cool.

Turbowars
11-08-2003, 11:28 AM
I missed it because I was wasting 2 Hrs. of my life on Matrix:Revolutuions, & that one, in my opinion sucks!!!!! I can say this about the cartoon though, I hate, hate, Hate the animation !!!! But it sounds like the stories are cool.LOL, same here, I wasted 2 hours on Kill Bill. Just another crap *** film. No wonder he hasn't done anything in 4 years.

Deoxyribonucleic
11-08-2003, 12:40 PM
welllllllll, I'm definitely in the minority here with choosing "haven't seen it, not interested"

I think I'll stick to spongebob and Rocko's modern life. In the past, star wars cartoons for some reason never grabbed my attention, not even the droids series...I guess I should be open minded and catch at least one episode of this new cartoon so I can honestly say that I'm not interested for sure. :Pirate:

Glad most everyone else seems to like it as the artist (can't remember his name) seems like an extremely nice person and very excited to be doing this project!

:)

Beast
11-08-2003, 12:52 PM
Deoxy? You're a Rocko's Modern Life fan? You rule, sistah. I adored that series, and hope that rumors are true of a possible DVD release in the future. :)

"Ashes to Ashes, Dust to Dust. We put Ed Bighead, in the Earth's Crust." :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
11-08-2003, 01:21 PM
Ok, I just saw the short on Cartoon Networks site and I think is was awesome, but too short. So for those that didn't see it last night go to the site and view it.

Bacta Beast
11-08-2003, 01:27 PM
OK, I've seen it. Animation sucks.

jedihunter25
11-08-2003, 01:36 PM
I thought it was great!! But less than five minutes an episode is harsh, and being less than five minutes also kinda makes it feel like it's a comercial to me. I hope they plan to make these 30 min. long in the future, or at least 20 cause less than 5 is not enough.

LusiferSam
11-08-2003, 01:51 PM
I missed it and don't plan on seeing it for three reasons. I don't like the animation style, I haven't liked any of the Cartoon Network's own shows, and finally Droids and Ewoks has felt a bad taste long after the shows have gone.

dr_evazan22
11-08-2003, 03:57 PM
Voices didn't bother, and I loved how Palpatine forced his say in having Anakin be a leader against the words of Obi Wan.

Overall I loved it too! Too short! And I set my VCR to auto-record it every night, but it got some of those stupid kids at the beginning and cut off the end. Adjustments are nescessary there.

In addition to the part with Palpy, I liked the way Anakin became deflated when the Jedi were talking to or about him.

Tycho
11-08-2003, 05:06 PM
I'll add in that the sound effect used for his Jedi Starfighter with the modified engines, was in fact the sound of two Radon-Ulzer Twin Turbine Engines from Episode One's youngest entry in the Boonta Eve Podracing Championship!

Great continuity there. It figures Anakin would use machines he's relied on and knows he can trust.

derek
11-08-2003, 07:20 PM
OK, I've seen it. Animation sucks.

what he said. :D

is there anything that star wars fans won't like? as long as it has the star wars name slapped on it everyone loves it. :confused:

Beast
11-08-2003, 07:52 PM
what he said. :D

is there anything that star wars fans won't like? as long as it has the star wars name slapped on it everyone loves it. :confused:
Or maybe......*GASP*

Some of us actually liked it? Just being a Star Wars fans, doesn't mean we automatically like something. Example: I loathe the EU Universe books pretty much totally. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Banthaholic
11-08-2003, 08:35 PM
I was expecting the worse.
After watching it, I realized while I started collecting again when E2 came out.
The episode was a powerful few minutes. It rocked!
I was impressed in just how well some of the main story lines were incorporated into the short tv time.
The depiction Palpatine's raw emotions, and his ability to motivate and control, well done.
Also loved the depiction of Anakin & Padme's unholy union, that will only lead to certain destruction.
Sure it was short, but if these fly well we're certain to see 1/2 hours show in the future. after Ewoks/Droids Lucasfilm has to have some hesitations about a full-fledges flop.

Banthaholic
11-08-2003, 08:38 PM
I actually tend to think the opposite. Is there anything out there associated with the Prequel Trilogy that people will not knock, and tear down.

I see more complaints on this board than I do praise.

Darth Deering
11-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Like most everyone else, I really enjoyed this first glimpse. I think I went into it loving Star Wars but with really low expectations. I was happily surprised that it was all I really hoped it would be. The look was great and there were some nice familiar sounds from the movies (Skywalker's starfighter sounded like the pods from Episode I for instance). The teaser part is ok with me. I think that those of us that grew up with episodes 4,5, and 6 are truly used to waiting for out Star Wars fix! A few days is nothing compared to a couple of decades for something new!!!

scott
11-08-2003, 10:05 PM
I thought the new cartoon was great. But we need more than 5 mins a show.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-08-2003, 11:03 PM
Yes, they are too short, but I knew that going into it. All together they will equal about an hour long story about one part of the Clone Wars.

I don't really think I really care for the style of animation, but I'm interested in seeing the story. A chance to see an original Star Wars story on TV is rather cool. However, for now I will have to download it. I was hoping to be moved into my new house by now, but it will probably be a couple weeks before I'm in and have cable hooked up. The cable system where I live now does not have the Cartoon Network.

Speaking of downloading. It probably took around two hours for me on a 56K dial-up. I'm not sure exactly how long it took. I started before 5pm or shortly after I think and was done before 7pm. The file 37.3 MB and is 3:44 in length. It'll be kind of a pain to have to do that for each episode, which is why I'm not going to bother downloading the one with the commentary on it.

I've also got the Clone Wars timeline, which comes with three short Clone Wars stories. I think mine came out of the Geonosian fighter box, but I think some of the other CW vehicles have it. It is also available online somewhere as a PDF file. So now I have started to work my way through the Clone Wars stories. The stories come from a variety of sources: comics, books, the animated series, and short stories in Star Wars Insider. Together, they should fill in the gap between Episodes II and III quite well.

stillakid
11-08-2003, 11:44 PM
There really wasn't a category for me to click on. Yes, I plan on taping them all (then editing them together and making a DVD copy of it all), but I wasn't entirely sold. Not that it was bad. I just don't have enough information yet to declare it a slam dunk like most people here already have.

JT, there was an article in yesterday's LA Times (Calendar section) with an interview about the creation of the idea. Interestingly, the guy states that he purposefully didn't use MTV style editing because he likes to let scenes play out. Maybe that is so, but in 3 minutes, almost every cut will seem like it's fast and furious when they try to cram that much story in. Funny, it felt a whole lot like the entirety of AOTC when I stop to think about it. :sur:

In any case, the only standout moments for me (that I liked) were the C3PO bit with the robe and the scowled look on Yoda's face. Aside from that, even though the Anakin/Padme hand thing was over the top, it fit in with the feel of the real movie which was waaaay over the top as well. Only here, it seems more natural because of the animated medium and the time constraints. Methinks that George would have been better off writing and directing these shorts and letting someone else more qualified take care of the features.

Bygones.

I think that a short by short review is a little weird so I submit that we revisit this topic sometime after the last episode airs.

JediTricks
11-09-2003, 03:41 AM
Yoda was a bit goofy to me and Anakin sounded . . . oh yeah, I don't know how he sounds because instead of mouthing off to Obi-Wan like he SHOULD have, he just made that dumb "shoulder scrunch and glare" look at Obers. Padme nearly made me LOL because she looked a bit silly, I don't know why but she did.Yeah, totally agree on those, Yoda in voice also didn't work for me, Ani didn't say nuttin', and Padme looked weird for some unexplainable reason.

I have nothing nice to say about the Cartoon Network kids that did lead-in for the show, so I won't say anything at all about them. :evil: ;)

I think I'll stick to spongebob and Rocko's modern life. In the past, star wars cartoons for some reason never grabbed my attention, not even the droids seriesI can totally understand that, although both of those have sadly finished regular production. I'd also add Dexter's Laboratory, TMNT, Justice League, MOTU, and even Transformers:Armada to my list (and anybody who's read my posts in the "Transformers" thread in "Other Collectibles" knows I'm not kind to that one! :D).

JT, there was an article in yesterday's LA Times (Calendar section) with an interview about the creation of the idea. Interestingly, the guy states that he purposefully didn't use MTV style editing because he likes to let scenes play out. Maybe that is so, but in 3 minutes, almost every cut will seem like it's fast and furious when they try to cram that much story in. Funny, it felt a whole lot like the entirety of AOTC when I stop to think about it. :sur:Hmm, an interesting thought just entered my mind when I read your comment here... perhaps the use of computers for editing gives the editor a warped sense of timing, where things seem slower and have better pacing since the editor is viewing them as slow as frame by frame without loss. Sure, a great shot feels epic when you work on the computer for 6 hours straight, but that could be as little as one frame of film, the viewer won't see it that way. I guess that means the future of entertainment here isn't watching it in normal-time, but instead using the ability to freeze-frame over and over - personally, I'm not for that.

Oh, and Stilla, this poll question is about the first episode, either you've seen it or you haven't, but it won't take seeing chapters 2 through 10 to judge chapter 1 (although many people that's the case with the prequels and Matrix 2 and all sorts of other movies that seem to become dependent on their sequels).

2-1B
11-09-2003, 04:13 AM
JT, I watched Chapter 1 again and still thought Padme was funny . . . I think it's maybe in her frown. It almost looks too "mopey" but then again so does Anakin as he prepares to leave.
Also I think her cleavage was a little too distinct, I'm not saying that in a low brow way - I just mean that her face didn't look right with the rest of her body.

Well after my second viewing I think I like it more but I'm still not crazy about it. I didn't like the Tauntaun sound used for Yoda's mount, I thought it was TOO familiar.

I'm having trouble with Obi-Wan's character in this short . . . I love the voice work, that's very well done but I question his motivation in the Chancellor's office. During AOTC he scolds Anakin because "Palptine is a politician. I've observed he's . . . " and on and on.

But in Chapter 1 of Clone Wars, he seems eager when he tells Palpatine "my army is ready" or whatever he said. So I don't know, I relaize these are different circumstances but Obi-Wan felt a bit too eager.

Maybe I'm wrong ? :confused:

JEDIpartner
11-09-2003, 09:12 AM
Okay... I loved it. Plain and simple. Yes, SW fans don't like everything with the SW name slapped on it. I hated the Droids and Ewoks cartoons. I thought they were trite and poorly animated.

My boyfriend likes SW and is not the fan that I am and was completely blown away by the animation and the overall mood of the short. I think this one felt a little short because there was so much exposition from Yoda from frame one. Since we've been caught up on the what's been going on between AOTC and the shorts, I think the three minutes will seem a little better used in the further chapters.

Gendy deserves a big hug, in my opinion.

Darth Deering
11-09-2003, 09:52 AM
JT, I watched Chapter 1 again and still thought Padme was funny . . . I think it's maybe in her frown. It almost looks too "mopey" but then again so does Anakin as he prepares to leave.
Also I think her cleavage was a little too distinct, I'm not saying that in a low brow way - I just mean that her face didn't look right with the rest of her body.

Well after my second viewing I think I like it more but I'm still not crazy about it. I didn't like the Tauntaun sound used for Yoda's mount, I thought it was TOO familiar.

I'm having trouble with Obi-Wan's character in this short . . . I love the voice work, that's very well done but I question his motivation in the Chancellor's office. During AOTC he scolds Anakin because "Palptine is a politician. I've observed he's . . . " and on and on.

But in Chapter 1 of Clone Wars, he seems eager when he tells Palpatine "my army is ready" or whatever he said. So I don't know, I relaize these are different circumstances but Obi-Wan felt a bit too eager.

Maybe I'm wrong ? :confused:

I agree about the cleavage issue. Also in as tame a way as possible, the boobs were just too distracting. Can't get hot for a cartoon, but they are a forced focal-point. My wife and freind both saw chapter 1 and made almost the exact same comment: "Ha! Nice ones!" I don't think that all female characters have to be endowed with those perfectly round, breast implant looking chests for us to know that they aren't little boys. With that said, I really do like what I've seen so far of the cartoon, and hope it only gets better.

Mad Slanted Powers
11-09-2003, 01:10 PM
Hmm. Something must be wrong with me. I didn't notice the breasts. I was focused on her head and the hair style. It looked kind of funny, but that didn't bother me much.

plo koon 200
11-09-2003, 01:25 PM
I noticed her head to so there must be something wrong with the both of us. For the first episode this was pretty good. Something to keep us waiting for EIII.

Darth Deering
11-09-2003, 01:28 PM
Hmm. Something must be wrong with me. I didn't notice the breasts. I was focused on her head and the hair style. It looked kind of funny, but that didn't bother me much.

Are you referring the her bow-tie hairdo? That was also a topic of discussion. Not so much criticism, just discussion. It was just what you should expect from Amidala.

Darth Deering
11-09-2003, 01:31 PM
I noticed her head to so there must be something wrong with the both of us. For the first episode this was pretty good. Something to keep us waiting for EIII.
Man! I'm feelilng like sort of a perv now! I'll go cool down in my bacta tank for a while I guess!

Kidhuman
11-09-2003, 02:06 PM
The only thing I wondered about was how 3P0 and R2 beat Anakin to her room. He had a fighter and they had to walk.

stillakid
11-09-2003, 06:54 PM
Hmm, an interesting thought just entered my mind when I read your comment here... perhaps the use of computers for editing gives the editor a warped sense of timing, where things seem slower and have better pacing since the editor is viewing them as slow as frame by frame without loss. Sure, a great shot feels epic when you work on the computer for 6 hours straight, but that could be as little as one frame of film, the viewer won't see it that way. I guess that means the future of entertainment here isn't watching it in normal-time, but instead using the ability to freeze-frame over and over - personally, I'm not for that.

Those glory days of sitting on a shot are all but over. Even the legendary Michael Kahn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0434883/) has now reportedly gone digital.

Lord Malakite
11-09-2003, 07:17 PM
The only thing I wondered about was how 3P0 and R2 beat Anakin to her room. He had a fighter and they had to walk.
Simple, C-3PO and R2 left and headed to her room before Anakin was done doing system checks for take off. They just didn't show it due to the time constraints. ;)

stillakid
11-09-2003, 07:52 PM
I agree about the cleavage issue. Also in as tame a way as possible, the boobs were just too distracting. Can't get hot for a cartoon, but they are a forced focal-point. My wife and freind both saw chapter 1 and made almost the exact same comment: "Ha! Nice ones!" I don't think that all female characters have to be endowed with those perfectly round, breast implant looking chests for us to know that they aren't little boys. With that said, I really do like what I've seen so far of the cartoon, and hope it only gets better.

Girls have boobs. What's the problem? They also have hair, hands, eyes, and lips. Ears, cheeks, eyebrows, necks, arms, chins.

Darth Deering
11-09-2003, 08:22 PM
Girls have boobs. What's the problem? They also have hair, hands, eyes, and lips. Ears, cheeks, eyebrows, necks, arms, chins.

You're right. I think the only reason I commented on Padme's appearence was the it was the only thing I could think of to comment on that wasn't completely in favor of. I've read some of the replies that point out negative aspects of the cartoon, but I've also come to understand that there are some people that will never like any new SW stuff unless it is an exact remake of ANH. The way I see it, I can't get enough SW. If it's not perfect it's still there and I can live with someone's attempt at what they think is good stuff.

plasticfetish
11-09-2003, 08:36 PM
Those glory days of sitting on a shot are all but over. Even the legendary Michael Kahn has now reportedly gone digital.
I would wonder how, these days anyway, he could avoid it. There's been so much digital content in most of the movies he's worked on over the past decade.

As far as the fast pacing of this show goes ... I'm gonna assume that it'll run a little differently (not much, but a little) from now on. This first episode had to get things established and get things moving. Not surprising that it played like a kind of blur. Being 3 minutes long, these things seem to be edited just like TV commercials really. (Which is what they are to a certain degree I suppose.)

JediTricks
11-09-2003, 08:45 PM
Being 3 minutes long, these things seem to be edited just like TV commercials really. (Which is what they are to a certain degree I suppose.)Have you seen Hasbro's Clone Wars commercials? They're way more boring than these shorts. Also, Genndy is nowhere near as insane with the camerawork as whomever is shooting those Hasbro ads.

I will say this though, watching this first animated short sure didn't convince me to buy any Clone Wars toys (though I see it did convince a few of you folks to get the Ani Jedi Speeder). The CW toys are nothing like what we saw, not that I had any interest in emulating what we saw.

Also I think her cleavage was a little too distinct, I'm not saying that in a low brow way - I just mean that her face didn't look right with the rest of her body.The cleavage definitely didn't go unnoticed when I watched it, that type of thing seemed out of character for this show and unnecessary. But I guess they had to make clear that she was a female because otherwise she just looks like a weirdo alien drawing. ;) I agree about the face too, didn't seem right, maybe it's the massive alien eyes or the angled jaw-line or the looooong neck.

I didn't like the Tauntaun sound used for Yoda's mount, I thought it was TOO familiar.That's how I felt as well, not just this sound effect, but a few others and some of the music too.

I'm having trouble with Obi-Wan's character in this short . . . But in Chapter 1 of Clone Wars, he seems eager when he tells Palpatine "my army is ready" or whatever he said. So I don't know, I relaize these are different circumstances but Obi-Wan felt a bit too eager.No, I see what you mean there too. And later on, I think Obi-Wan even dons Trooper armor! If this had been a 7 minute short like most Dexter's Lab or many other shows on this channel, maybe Obi-Wan would have had a few seconds to give a true reaction instead.

rabidewok
11-09-2003, 10:38 PM
I liked it.

I thought Padme had an anime-ish feel to her, which I thought was cool. Although it would have been cooler to have the original actors' voices, they weren't too terribly off.

It sucks it's only 3 minutes long, but it is better than 1, I think!

The "hand-noise" that Palpatine made seemed really out of wack to me.

I'm recording them too so I can string them all together like other people are doing.

Darth Jax
11-09-2003, 11:09 PM
rewatch AOTC and see how many of padme's outfits emphasize or manage to otherwise draw attention to parts of her anatomy. i didn't find her animated self out of character, including the bowtie hair.

stillakid
11-09-2003, 11:26 PM
rewatch AOTC and see how many of padme's outfits emphasize or manage to otherwise draw attention to parts of her anatomy. i didn't find her animated self out of character, including the bowtie hair.

I agree and still fail to see why showing off an actresses body parts is inappropriate in regards to the way the Star Wars Saga has done. It's not like any of the women do a striptease or anything flagrant like that. They just happen to have costumes that don't take extra steps to hide their bodies, with the exception of Leia's ANH whites and her ESB Hoth gear. Otherwise, they're just wearing clothes. What's the big deal?

Besides, I went back to look at what the hoopla was all about and I was shocked that anyone even noticed. Hardly the pronounced chest that is being described. I mean seriously, get real. Jabba has bigger boobs than that. And not to get into that old violence vs. sex argument again, but really, if you're going to have a hang-up about the appropriateness of a sexual image directed toward children, where's the uproar over the violence which inhabits nearly 80% of the rest of the thing? The same old Puritan double-standard. Yawn.

JEDIpartner
11-10-2003, 09:43 AM
I am so with you on the boob issue, Stillakid. I really don't know how else they would have drawn her chest. I mean, it's nothing they hadn't done before and it sure is a lot tamer than, say, Jessica Rabbit, Holly Would or Stripperella!!!

:rolleyes:

Beast
11-10-2003, 10:14 AM
Agreed with Stillakid and JP. Yes, she has cleavage, big whoop. She's a woman, I would hope she would have some. It's the puritan society we live in, violence is 'cool' and sex is 'taboo'. Feh. In my opinion she has a smaller chest in the toon then she does in the movie. Just look at the fireplace scene from AOTC's. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Turbowars
11-10-2003, 10:37 AM
The last 3 posts are 100% correct. What you said JJB about violence being OK and sex being Taboo is something that is really wrong with this country. You guys act like you want Padme to look like a man or have a shroud over her whole body. People and aliens are dieing in the short and you worry about two curved lines. It makes not sense.:)

OC47150
11-10-2003, 12:13 PM
My only complaint was, I wanted more!!! I was hooked at the end of the three minutes and it was a big letdown at the end!!!!

Tycho
11-10-2003, 12:58 PM
I'm not allowed to make sexual comments here, as I go way past Taboo, the liberated guy that I am. I guess I'm supposed to remind you all that this site is for children, too.

I will say that I finally figured it out: Padme's cartoon character does remind me of another gorgeous brunette I'm in love with - she looks incredibly similar to Denise Richards, eyes, cleavage, lips, and everything!

(Denise joins a list of ladies I appreciate that includes Kristen Kruek, Katie Holmes, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Natalie Portman, Dina Meyer, you get the idea...)

Well, now we know how the Starship Trooper would look in the Clone Wars.

In any case, JEDITRICKS made the comment about the show enticing us to buy SW merchandise. I agree. Notice when the show airs: right in the middle of X-mas shopping season. Guess when the Spring element should air? As close to the Easter shopping days as possible, I'd imagine (but don't know for sure).

Finally, did it work?

YES: We even want products they haven't even designed or produced: the V-19 Clone Fighter - a lot of us would even buy 2, or a whole landing platform scene of them, plus extra Jedi Starfighters, Hailfires to fight, Geo-fighters, too (considering tonight's episode) and so on.

YES: We'll want Anakin's Jedi Starfighter, too.

NO: It didn't entice me (personally) to want the Clone Wars Animated Figures. I don't even think those will fit in the ships, as they seem limited in articulation, and more like Bendie figures or something. I wouldn't be surprised if they came out at a lower price point ($3.99) or something, like a holiday knick-knack promo, when they release them.

I leave my option open to buy them, (the annimated figures) - the line might grow and add some cool Clones and Droids, plus a nice Dooku, but I wouldn't count on it.

Beast
11-10-2003, 01:09 PM
Yes, it's a site for children Tycho. But discussion of things like that that don't push the grounds of good taste is fine. Discussing a character's physique isn't pushing the rules of sex talk. If we were talking about her chest in a manner that was implying anything more then taking notice of it, then were pushing the rules. But again, it's still sad what sort of world we live in. Yes, let's discuss violence and murder, death and mayhem. But dear god we mention something that actually refers to sex. The most natural thing in the world for humans. After all, were here because our parents coupled. Not because some Kamino Cloners got an order. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

skeeziks22
11-10-2003, 01:43 PM
I thought the three minute clip was a great length. I think a 30 minute cartoon series would kill the drama that is squeezed into three minutes. I couldn't believe they actually had time to sit down and have a discussion in Palpitine's office. It will be great to have them all recorded and watch it all in one fell swoop. It would be quite overwhelming though.

As for the "chest" issue that has come up recently in this poll. This is a CARTOON folks. You are looking at animated anatomy... discussing movie anatomy is one thing, but maybe for another poll. Here, talking about cartoon breasts??? give me a break.

2-1B
11-10-2003, 01:46 PM
Oh, for the love of God you guys sound like you're blowing this boob thing wayyyy out of proportion.
All I said was that I thought it was too distinct. For the record if they drew Anakin as if he was smuggling a kielbasa in his pants, then I would have opined on that, too. :D I never said it was BAD in a Puritan way, just that it was noticeable.

Darth Deering thought it was too distracting but then he posted again saying it wasn't a big deal.

JT said it felt unnecessary - big deal. Nobody in here is displaying anything remotely Puritan so get over it. :stupid:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch a Jenna DVD. :crazed:

Hellboy
11-10-2003, 05:55 PM
I loved the first episode but I'll echo other's feelings about the length. It didn't feel like 5 min. and I really wanted more but I suppose thats the whole point. The funny thing to me was the snippet they called a preview of Monday's episode. If you blinked you'd miss it. :stupid:

Tycho
11-10-2003, 11:40 PM
Well, episode 2 has aired. There's a lively discussion about it continuing in the Clone Wars thread in the "TV" forum.

stillakid
11-11-2003, 01:05 AM
I will say that I finally figured it out: Padme's cartoon character does remind me of another gorgeous brunette I'm in love with - she looks incredibly similar to Denise Richards, eyes, cleavage, lips, and everything!

Remind me to tell you my flirting with Denise story sometime. :cool:

Tycho
11-11-2003, 01:27 AM
That's funny. I flirted with her myself on two separate occasions!

(we'll take this to private messages, I think...) :eek:

Turbowars
11-11-2003, 01:37 AM
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch a Jenna DVD. :crazed:Now you're talking.;)

Tycho
11-11-2003, 01:42 AM
I got an EntertainmentEarth catalog today (with Hasbro's new Wampa on the cover) and found that they sell an action figure of Jenna if you're so inclined to be a uh..well rounded fan of hers. :rolleyes:

I haven't looked, but maybe in the TOYS: OTHER category, we have a thread for collectors of this kind, you know, discussing the accessories her figure comes packed with.

Ooops. JediTricks is eyeing me with his MR Jango Fett blasters about now...

Jedi Tech
11-11-2003, 04:31 AM
Oh, for the love of God you guys sound like you're blowing this boob thing wayyyy out of proportion.
All I said was that I thought it was too distinct. For the record if they drew Anakin as if he was smuggling a kielbasa in his pants, then I would have opined on that, too. :D I never said it was BAD in a Puritan way, just that it was noticeable.

Darth Deering thought it was too distracting but then he posted again saying it wasn't a big deal.

JT said it felt unnecessary - big deal. Nobody in here is displaying anything remotely Puritan so get over it. :stupid:

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to watch a Jenna DVD. :crazed:

Whose Jenna? er I mean what Jenna are you talking about? :crazed: