PDA

View Full Version : Not going to the theater for this one

AdmiralPiett
11-09-2003, 12:07 AM
I have nothing against seeing Episode 3, however I just feel that I may have to pass on seeing this in the theater among all the normal hooligans that usually show up and make noise, comments, etc.
I never saw any of the original Star Wars films in the theater back in the 70s or 80s and I love those. I was not born until 1980 and only became interested in Star Wars around 1986 or so when I taped it off television. I was thinking about just trying to ignore anything I've heard about the movie until the DVD comes out and then buying it and watching it alone. That way hopefully I can make up my own mind about what parts I like and whether I like it as a movie overall, as opposed to hearing a bunch of other peoples' gripes and letting them turn my opinions negative.
Anybody else ever have similar feelings?
Piett

stillakid
11-09-2003, 12:28 AM
What if the theater goers (ultra-fans) "make you" think positive thoughts through the power of peer pressure and suggestion? Why did you aim your need to be alone toward those people who just call 'em like they see them as opposed to being influenced by those who aren't as discriminating? :confused: See, what you are calling "negative," I call "realistic" and "pragmatic," relative to comments regarding the Star Wars films. You don't have to like it, but it is folly to believe that "negative" people are just out to hate the Prequels for the sport of it. I know plenty of people who never really liked the OT films so they just don't bother seeing the Prequels. Those of us who did enjoy the OT really wanted to enjoy the Prequels just as much, if not more. It's not our fault that they are the way they are, but suggesting that our comments are "negative" without just cause is unfair.

Beast
11-09-2003, 06:12 AM
There's just something about the theatrical experience that has more magic then just watching it on your television though. Try going to a matinee showing around noon. That's when I usually go, and I never run into any of the bad theater experiences. One exception is 'The Matrix 3', but that's because I hit the 9 AM premiere. So I would recommend still seeing it in the theater, just either going early in the day, or a couple weeks after it's opened so there's less roudy fans to deal with. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Exhaust Port
11-09-2003, 07:38 AM
This will be your last opportunity to see a new SW film in the theater. After that you can only hope for a re-release or something. Plus, AOTC was given a limited released in the new digital format. I was lucky enough to see it and it was definately worth the price of admission. No DVD will give you that kind of experience.

JEDIpartner
11-09-2003, 07:53 AM
That foul theatre experience has nothing to do with Episode III. It seems like 90% of the films I see are "ruined" by people who can't tell the difference between being in a theatre with an enormous number of strangers and being in their living room with their buds. If you don't have the couth or manners to keep your noise to a minimum I consider you a "classless" individual who needs to take one across the face! I don't mind a group of people collectively reacting to something "shocking", "funny" or whatnot... but the constant yapping throughout a presentation drives me insane.

:mad:

Pendo
11-09-2003, 10:37 AM
I've never had a bad cinema experience., not matter what movie/show time i go. There's no way you'll get me to miss it at a cinema, I'd wake from a coma to see it!
I don't think going to the cinema has anything to do with the comments you hear about the movie. You can still go watch the movie at the cinema and not read any comments about it. By waiting longer to see the movie, you probably would have stumbled across some comments which could turn your opinions before you've actually seen the DVD.

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-09-2003, 10:50 AM
I've never had a bad cinema experience., not matter what movie/show time i go. There's no way you'll get me to miss it at a cinema, I'd wake from a coma to see it!
PENDO!

I concure with Pendo on this one; if anybody makes any attempt to stop me from seeing this flick, my Radiohead-esque reply will be, "you and whose army?" :crazed:

I understand what you're saying though Piett; living in a college town right now, the crowds are usually crazy, but most of the time, once the place goes dark, they usually shut up. Plus, i like seeing it the opening night with my fellow geeks cause we're all going to keep our traps shut and pay attention. I remember some folks were talking during Ep II and they got whacked with a barrage of plastic sabers within a millisecond of opening their mouth and quickly stopped talking. I don't like going to see movies in the afternoon that much cause there is usually a baby crying or some yuppie who doesn't turn off his cell. I remember when i saw some horror movie a while back and there were like infants in the theater! OF course, once the crap hit the fan in the movie, WAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH. Luckily the parnets had the common sense to at least take the baby out of the theater; some people. :rolleyes: It reminds me of when i worked at a video store and after 10 pm, we could play whatever movie we wanted, within good reason. So, i'd toss on like Jurassic Park and lo n' behold, some a-- with their 8 year old daughter would come in to rent movies at 11:50 pm on a school night and ask me to turn off the flick cos it was "scary" (even though the kid seemed to love the dinosaurs, it was more or less the parent being a jerk) or something. I replied the scariest thing in the store was the fact that this girl wasn't in bed at midnight on a school night. hehehehehehe Looking back, i don't get how i wasn't fired. :D

plo koon 200
11-09-2003, 12:01 PM
That foul theatre experience has nothing to do with Episode III. It seems like 90% of the films I see are "ruined" by people who can't tell the difference between being in a theatre with an enormous number of strangers and being in their living room with their buds. If you don't have the couth or manners to keep your noise to a minimum I consider you a "classless" individual who needs to take one across the face! I don't mind a group of people collectively reacting to something "shocking", "funny" or whatnot... but the constant yapping throughout a presentation drives me insane.

I know what your talking about. Actually watching a film at home can be worst or try seeing a movie a week after it comes out, those darn yappers. Seeing a movie on premiere night often keeps peoples mouths closed.

stillakid
11-09-2003, 05:47 PM
This will be your last opportunity to see a new SW film in the theater. After that you can only hope for a re-release or something. Plus, AOTC was given a limited released in the new digital format. I was lucky enough to see it and it was definately worth the price of admission. No DVD will give you that kind of experience.

Hmm, I wonder what the odds would be for some (obviously) very exclusive engagements in which all 6 films could be seen back to back on the big screen? No doubt there would be an audience for this despite the proliferation of home entertainment resources. The question is, would Lucasfilm/Fox/theaters believe it to be worth their time?

Beast
11-09-2003, 06:27 PM
They didn't seem to feel it was worth it, during the SE releases. I know several theaters wanted to show all three back to back, and Lucasfilm told them that they couldn't. Which was a real shame, I planned on seeing them all one last time in the theater that way. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
11-09-2003, 10:38 PM
They didn't seem to feel it was worth it, during the SE releases. I know several theaters wanted to show all three back to back, and Lucasfilm told them that they couldn't. Which was a real shame, I planned on seeing them all one last time in the theater that way. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Maybe George will reconsider once III is out and had its run. The only plausible scenario I can conjur up is a kind of re-release of his Super Nifty Versions prior to DVD and/or coinciding. It would be a nice bit of hoopla to have a couple of exclusive engagements (LA/NY) running the 6 for nearly 12 hours straight. That's a lot of Star Wars for anyone and those bathroom lines would be monumental between episodes, but I could almost guarantee that there would be lines of people ready to go days before the event. Maybe if they sold actual seats, like a concert, so people could go freshen up and know that they could get back to where they belong without having to argue with other opportunists? Heck, I'd like to see that anyway. This festival seating stuff is for the birds. But I digress...

Tonysmo
11-09-2003, 11:40 PM
well... For me it shouldnt matter anymore. My wonderful wife woke me up today with... " I did it. " Did what? " I bought the BOSE lifestyles 18 " You what? Lifestyles? Arent those condoms? " no silly, its the new $2000 surround sound system that will be here next weekend.. " ( shakes cobwebs from sleepy head ) You... What....? " I'll need you to hook it up for me when it gets here. " Honey.. are you INSANE? 2000?? GAH!! Thats great honey, I'm sure it will sound great, better play MP3's.. " thanks hon, Im sure you'll enjoy it... and NO, just becuse I bought this doesnt mean you can go drop 700 on Stormtrooper armor.. " GAH! how'd you know I was thinking that!

so anyway.. I shall test out EPII and the sonic charges once I get it all installed.. Ill let you all know how I feel. right now.. I feel.. um. broke.

back on topic... back on topic..

I will not miss seeing the last Star Wars movie at the theater. you must be nuts.

scruffziller
11-10-2003, 06:52 AM
There's just something about the theatrical experience that has more magic then just watching it on your television though. Try going to a matinee showing around noon. That's when I usually go, and I never run into any of the bad theater experiences. One exception is 'The Matrix 3', but that's because I hit the 9 AM premiere. So I would recommend still seeing it in the theater, just either going early in the day, or a couple weeks after it's opened so there's less roudy fans to deal with. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
True Dat.

TPM, AOTC were always the best viewing in the theatres.

kool-aid killer
11-10-2003, 10:17 AM
Im not missing it. I went to the first showing when episode 1 came out at 12 in the morning and for the second film i went on the first day around 9. Sometimes the crowd is full of morons, usually high school kids who feel they have a right to be loud because 20 of them enter the room.

OC47150
11-11-2003, 07:25 AM
Go to matinees. It's not so bad during the day/afternoon.

Kidhuman
11-11-2003, 06:14 PM
It is a must see in theaters. No way about it. I dont care if I have to scrounge save orbeat the crap out of someone who bought a ticket, I am getting in.

billfremore
11-11-2003, 06:42 PM
Remind me not to be around you with my ticket :D

JEDIpartner
11-14-2003, 02:25 PM
Go to matinees. It's not so bad during the day/afternoon.
You shouldn't have to see it at a matinee just because you want a little less chat!

InsaneJediGirl
11-14-2003, 09:18 PM

I totally agree.This is why I the only movie I shall see in Theaters this year will be Return of the King.I am a tad on the lucky side,since the nearest theater is in an old folks retirement community.Not many teenagers come down and the older folks really remember what cinema is like and keep quiet.:)Someone did bring a baby to FOTR and just let the kid cry.Thanks a lot:mad:

What happened to Ushers who used to go around with flashlights and kick people out?Are theatres afraid of getting sued,because some idiot will claim its his/her right to talk through a movie?

jedihunter25
11-14-2003, 10:26 PM
There's just something about the theatrical experience that has more magic then just watching it on your television though. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks
I agree. I must have seen the classic Trilogy a million times (as a kid on opening day-and after-at the theater for all three films, on T.V., and video). When the S.E. came out in 97, it was great to see them in the theater again. Even the parts that you kinda node off to from watching it on video over and over again seamed exciting again. If you have problems with annoying people talking or whatever, then (like said before) try a matinee or/and go and see it a few months after it's release. A few months after both TPM and AOTC, my girlfriend and I went to see the films again during the latest showings and no one was there except us. We had the theater all to ourselfs. And if GL lets some of the theaters show all the films- that would be a great thing to experience. It would be really cool if they showed all six films in a row at the Imax Theaters.-Now that would be the ultimate experience- even if they cut out a few scenes like they did with AOTC. I'm sure the movie poster for that would be the ultimate too!!!

stillakid
11-15-2003, 10:02 AM
You shouldn't have to see it at a matinee just because you want a little less chat!

Funny you say that. My mom just sent me a copy of the hometown newspaper (small town) and it has a story in there about a summer camp where, as part of the activities, the kids will learn proper dining and moviegoing etiquette. I got a chuckle out of that one. :D

AdmiralPiett
11-15-2003, 12:43 PM
I do consider myself a weak person, so I may end up folding at one of my friends' requests and going to see it at the theater anyway. Contrary to JarJar's opinion, I just have to say that I don't really notice a significant marginal increase in utility when seeing movies at a theater as opposed to seeing them at home. I think I figured out why also. There are a few reasons actually. First, at home I usually go to sleep after watching a movie which always makes me feel I can remember the movie with better clarity and thus the long term effect is more positive. Second, theater seats are often uncomfortable and by the time I arrive at a Star Wars movie backrow center is usually already taken. Third, when I go to a theater I rarely go alone. So after the movie is over I usually have to end up B.S.ing with my friends during the drive home about what I thought of the movie (as opposed to bottling my feelings up and going to sleep).
So I think I figured out my preference. Somewhat out of the ordinary, but rational nonetheless (at least in my own mind). So thank you for disagreeing with me everyone. It helped me understand my preference better.
Piett

billfremore
11-17-2003, 10:08 AM
I can sympathize with the bad seating thing. That's why I always take the side seats. Nobody ever wants them and in this day and age of football field-sized screens the view is great from everywhere.

The theatre-going experience is not everybody's fave so kudos to you for sticking to what you like.

Darth Kirk
02-09-2004, 08:47 PM
Well I have to say AdmiralPiett that you bring up an interesting point.. People in the media and people in general do have great influence on the success of a film, MOST of the time.. Yet an example of how this equation did not tabulate itself out was when 'Phantom Menace' was released.. It did have great box office success, 4th in the all time world-wide grosses now.. That does not mean anything though, the fact is you have to decide for yourself what YOU find entertaining and thrilling.. We are not robots controlled by others into thinking something is either entertaining or not.. We have the capability of free will and conscious choice.. You should be able to sit back and allow yourself to watch these films, and be able to reach your own conclusions without allowing any other opinion, jaded or otherwise, to influence your decision.

Reefer Shark
02-11-2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah man..... I hardly even go to theaters anymore because of the general decline of etiquette (sp?).

I must be getting old: The popcorn crunching, mouths yapping, babies crying, etc.., etc... didn't use to bother me. But now, it really distracts me from whatever flick I'm watching.

It's really sad these days with poeples lack of respect and such.....

However, there are a few flicks that I just don't want to wait for DVD release. If there's a SW or LOTR flick in the theaters, you can guarantee that I'll be there! :D

OC47150
02-11-2004, 04:09 PM
Matinees aren't that bad. That's when I usually go.

sith_killer_99
02-11-2004, 09:24 PM
I have seen each film in the theaters twice and EP3 will be no exception!

On a side note, I was 3 when the first Star Wars hit theater and my parents took me to see it. It is my earliest childhood memory. My daughter will be 3 when Episode III hits theaters next year! :D

Darth Kirk
02-13-2004, 01:14 AM
Sith Killer, that is coooo.. You are passing down the family tradition.. Hey, hopefully there will be an Episdoe 7, 8, 9, further down the road and maybe your daughter would be able to take her children.. :)

jjreason
02-16-2004, 01:03 AM
Going to the theatre is all about ambiance. The energy of the crowd in a packed house. I love a full theatre, opening night, people going ballistic when the Lucasfilm logo hits the screen...... I wouldn't miss it for the world. I saw episode I and II 4 times each in the theatre - the first time in packed conditions, the latter three with friends (who know I'm a geek and wanted to ask me a million questions to tick me off while I watched), my wife (who humours me by going once each time), my daughter, and even a couple of quiet matinees on my own. I think I'm going to try and make epIII my son's first movie, he'll be nearly 3. My daughter was the same age when we went to epII together, her first theatre experience. You need to see it in the theatre.

kool-aid killer
02-19-2004, 11:27 AM
Yep, in my mind seeing a movie on the big screen is the best. I would much rather see it like that then in the comfort of my home. While the home is much more comfortable, the theater has the "feel" that cannot be duplicated. I remember seeing the OT when it was rereleased in special edition on the big screen, a feeling i will never forget. Im going to be at this episode 3 on the first day.

The 'Xir
02-28-2004, 10:21 AM
Hey AP -- YEAH RIGHT!!! Who are you trying to kid, the last SW movie in history and you're not going? I bet the closer May 2005 gets, the closer to the front of the line he'll be? :crazed:

The 'Xir
02-28-2004, 10:48 AM
IMO, There is something to be said about going to the Cinema! It was an instant love affair, Americans embraced as soon as it began! And with something like the SW franchise, there is just nothing better than going to that peak hour/showing when all the die hards are there, because they all go, to share in the experience of something they all know and love! They may like it for different reasons, but there is a strange bond and sense of community when attending! I remember, and have recalled it many times in these forums, back in '83 when Darth Vader came down that ramp and was introduced in RotJ, the WHOLE theatre stood up and gave him a standing ovation!!! A standing ovation!!...to a movie!!... to a fictional character?!! It was incredible and that memory has obviously stayed with me ever since along with many others, and you can't get that by sitting at home on a couch!!!
I will admit, I was disappointed when I went to a couple of showings of TPM and AotC, where there was either no one there or a standard audience, becuase they didn't have that love of star wars like us die-hards, they were just casual viewers taking in another movie, and it made me not as excited as I sat there and watched it! Believe it or not I even experienced one of those audiences during opening weekend at a prime time showing! It was like the second night at 9pm and the audience had no reaction to the film, unlike the opening night audience who was great, it sucked! The best was the Midnight showing of AotC, I think that's the best time to go, because you know your going with a whole slew of people that love these movies just as much as you do!