PDA

View Full Version : Anime fans? Recommendations

rabidewok
11-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Well, I'm a big anime/manga fan, but I'm always on the lookout for new awesome anime. I've been watching X slowly and slowly (for the lack of money reasons). They're so expensive to get uncut and subbed or decently dubbed.

So, what are your favs?

mabudonicus
11-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Gundam is pretty much my fave...
the ones I would recommend are (and some of these are available in the US, not sure which)
0080 war in the pocket
0083 stardust memory
0093 char's counterattack
0123 Gundam:Formula 91
And of the series I would recommend MS gundam and MS Z Gundam (my fave of all the ones I've seen)
Fist of the North Star is good....
Golgo 13:The professional is great fun too.... Japanese James Bond who's power is he can shoot ANYONE

I've seen lots of other stuff, just don't really like it, Gundam and DaiKaiju stuff forms the extent of my Japan Fixation (I like the history, too, just not in a collecting way)

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-11-2003, 12:17 PM
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Love Hina
Please Teacher
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
You're Under Arrest

Lord Malakite
11-11-2003, 12:30 PM
I've watched a few anime/manga shows I've found somewhat interesting, with the exception of the over reaction animation skits they do in some of them (never cared too much for that). These are the ones that I liked the best.

Inu Yasha
Cowboy Bebop
Dragon Ball
Dragon Ball Z
Dragon Ball GT
Yu-Gi-Oh
Ruroni Kenshin
Reign the Conqueror
Tenchi Muyo
Tenchi in Tokyo
Eska Flowney
Digimon (Seasons 1 & 2 only)
Transformers: Robots in Disguise
Transformers Armadda

Not certain if Transformers: Generation 1 (the one from the 80s) is anime, but if it is, I'd include that also.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-11-2003, 02:08 PM
I'm not an anime fan, but Robotech from the 80s was a great series. All three parts are available in separate box sets. Try deepdiscountdvd.com or Suncoast.

sith_killer_99
11-11-2003, 09:08 PM
La Blue Girl.

lol

JK

I was big into Robotech for a while. My old roommate had all of 'em on vhs (1994-1995) and I managed to watch 'em all! Yes, all 3 generations or whatever. Anyway, after that I sort OD'd on anime and backed off for a while.

Exhaust Port
11-11-2003, 09:17 PM
Bubblegum Crisis and Robotech are by far my favorites. I have the Robotech series on DVD but haven't gotten BC yet. Someday.....

Dark Knight
11-11-2003, 09:28 PM
How can you not mention ninja scroll or even ghost in the machine. Both were the first adult anime I watched. I now addicted to dragon ball, and dbz. Who can forget watching dungeon & dragon growing up? I missed that crazy wizard. :crazed:

aceguide
11-12-2003, 09:18 AM
Ghost in the Shell is my personal favorite. I would highly recommend it.

JON9000
11-12-2003, 02:47 PM
I like the following series:

Starblazers (AKA Space Battleship Yamato).
G-Force (AKA Gatchaman AKA Battle of the Planets)
Transor-Z

These are classics right up there in the pantheon with Robotech!

Hellboy
11-12-2003, 03:16 PM
I enjoy watching anime but I'm probably a bit more critical than most. My favorite anime movie is still Akira but Ghost in the Shell is definately up there too. As far as series go my favorite by a longshot is Cowboy Bebop. This series is cool beyond words and has some of the best voice acting ever, which is one of my biggest problems with most anime. One of the things that makes this series so good is the fact that it's only 26 episodes long (not including the movie) and has a very satisfying, though somewhat dark conclusion.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-12-2003, 03:45 PM
Hey, does anyone remember the old Voltron series? There were two different ones I believe. One on some planet and another that was part of some space force. Did that ever come out on DVD?

rabidewok
11-12-2003, 03:54 PM
I've seen Bebop and I have to agree it is an AWESOME series. I have yet to see the movie though. My first delve into the anime realm (that I KNEW was anime, mind you) was Vampire Hunter D.

I remember watching Voltron, Robotech (I had some dolls!), does Thundercats count?

Right now I love Rurouni Kenshin. Of course, the manga is WAY better, in my opinion. I like Trigun, but not nearly as much as RK.

I'm writing down all of these to check out.

No one likes Sailor Moon? *laughs nervously*

Dark Knight
11-12-2003, 06:39 PM
I enjoy watching anime but I'm probably a bit more critical than most. My favorite anime movie is still Akira but Ghost in the Shell is definately up there too. As far as series go my favorite by a longshot is Cowboy Bebop. This series is cool beyond words and has some of the best voice acting ever, which is one of my biggest problems with most anime. One of the things that makes this series so good is the fact that it's only 26 episodes long (not including the movie) and has a very satisfying, though somewhat dark conclusion.

How could I forget about Akira? :confused: Bebop is cool. I did have not seen them all.
Yu-Gi-Oh and Inu Yasha are also pretty cool!

:D :evil: :D

Exhaust Port
11-12-2003, 07:38 PM
Hey, does anyone remember the old Voltron series? There were two different ones I believe. One on some planet and another that was part of some space force. Did that ever come out on DVD?
There was the 5 Lion series which was first I believe followed by the multiple vehicle Voltron. I only watched the Lion Voltron so I remember that it took place on a planet with space battles if that helps. They haven't come out on DVD as far as I've been able to see.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
11-12-2003, 08:59 PM
No one likes Sailor Moon? *laughs nervously*

I used to be an avid Sailor Moon fan when it was on regular broadcast TV. Then when it moved to cable TV. When I finally got cable, it wasn't airing anymore, so I lost interest in it. I'm slowly becoming a fan of SM once again after learning Seasons 1 and 2 were recently released on DVD. Uncut too I might add.

rabidewok
11-12-2003, 11:03 PM
I used to be an avid Sailor Moon fan when it was on regular broadcast TV. Then when it moved to cable TV. When I finally got cable, it wasn't airing anymore, so I lost interest in it. I'm slowly becoming a fan of SM once again after learning Seasons 1 and 2 were recently released on DVD. Uncut too I might add.

Oh yeah, the dubbed is pure CRAP, if I say so myself. They totally tear it up, leave out epsidoes, change the names. I'm working to get the uncut, subbed versions. The anime coming out now is starting to make steps to not butchering the original versions. SM and DBZ were some of the first ones into mainstream popularity (minus all the ones from the 80s really, if you get what I mean.)

The only downside of the DVD boxsets of SM is that the sound quality is poor at first, but gets better as she go through the episodes. I wish they would have fixed the sound, but it's better than nothing I suppose.

Ooo, forgot about Inuyasha. I also like Fushigi Yugi (just seen a couple episodes and read manga) and Blue Gender.

aceguide
11-13-2003, 08:24 AM
Bebop rocks. Haven't seen the movie yet, but I really enjoyed the highlights DVD with the Director and Fan favorites.

darthzirock
11-13-2003, 01:12 PM
Well, I'm not heavily into anime at all, but here are two series I've seen that I really enjoyed: The Irresponsible Captain Tylor and Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend (a.k.a. The Wandering Kid).

Hellboy
11-13-2003, 07:04 PM
Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend (a.k.a. The Wandering Kid).

I own this box-set series on Laserdisc and haven't watched it in years. Maybe I'll dust it off soon and give it a whirl again. When I saw Agent Smith and Neo fighting in mid-air during Revolutions it reminded me of the airbourne battles from this series. I wonder if that could've been part of the Wachowski brother's inspiration for that scene, seeing as how they are big anime fans? BTW this series is not for the kiddies. :eek:

darthzirock
11-13-2003, 11:09 PM
BTW [Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend] is not for the kiddies. :eek:

Can you say "hentai," boys and girls? :evil:

I knew that you could! ;)

Oh, and my ultimate favorite anime series--how could I have forgotten???--The Dirty Pair! Starring the gorgeous agents of the Worlds Works Welfare Agency (3WA), Yuri and Kei, who always catch the bad guy, no matter how many innocent bystanders have to die or planetary systems have to be utterly destroyed. Hey, there are even Kei (http://www.darkhorse.com/products/pg_profile/sku_10312/sec_search/index.html) and Yuri (http://www.darkhorse.com/products/pg_profile/sku_11149/sec_search/index.html) action figures!

darthvyn
11-14-2003, 12:23 AM
i love princess mononoke, nausicaa, and castle in the sky, by miyazaki. i also have spirited away on dvd, but have yet to watch it...

only spirited, mononoke, and castle are released on dvd... nausicaa can be found in chinatown in NYC... that's all i know... but it's awesome! i hope they do an official dvd release of that one soon...

JON9000
11-15-2003, 01:29 PM
Urotsukidoji: Legend of the Overfiend (a.k.a. The Wandering Kid).

Isn't that sort of like recommending the Paris Hilton video? I saw overfiend a looong time ago. an interesting experience. . . :eek:

UKWildcat
07-12-2006, 09:42 PM
This looks like a good place to ask my questions.

Let me start out by saying that I'm really not into anime and I don't know much about it. But I just recently saw a preview for a dvd set release called Broken Saints (http://bs.brokensaints.com/dvd/dvd.html) and I became extremely interested in it right away. You can check out the same preview here (http://bs.brokensaints.com/dvd/trailers.htm). The animation doesn't look like traditional anime as I know it; I think it looks phenominal in comparison. The story sounds amazing and the dvd release looks awesome. 4 discs, 12 hours, re-mastered video, 5.1 mix and a ton of features.

So have you all heard of this show? Has anyone seen it? Did you like it? Can you recommend it to someone that is not really into anime? I ask these questions because I'm seriously thinking about buying this dvd set because it looks and sounds amazing. I guess I could rent the first disc and take it for a test drive, but if you all agree with all the reviews and say it is excellent, I'll just blind buy it.

What do you all think?

El Chuxter
07-12-2006, 11:14 PM
Can't help you on that one, but I'd like to say that Voltron will be on DVD this fall (there's some news at actionfigs.com on that), and I hope that vynnie enjoyed the official release of Nausicaa that came out a year or so ago.

I have to second his recommendation, because Hayao Miyazaki is the shizzy (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showthread.php?t=31525). If nothing else, the guy gave us both Turnip Head and No-Face, who are both Honorary Jawas if ever I saw one.

Hellboy
07-13-2006, 08:48 PM
I can't help you there either UK. It does sound very interesting though, I'll have to give it a rent. :yes:

I actually haven't watched any anime in some time. The last thing I did watch was the Samurai 7 series. If you guys haven't seen this its definitely worth checking out. No surprise it is based off Akira Kurosawa's Seven Samurai film but with a sci-fi twist. The animation is very reminiscent of O-Ren Isii's animated origin in Kill Bill Vol.1 so if you liked that and dig fast samurai sword swinging action you'll love this. :ninja:

UKWildcat
07-13-2006, 09:03 PM
Can't help you on that one

I can't help you there either UK.
Dag nabbit, hasn't anyone out there heard of Broken Saints?!?!? ;) lol

The animation is very reminiscent of O-Ren Isii's animated origin in Kill Bill Vol.1 so if you liked that and dig fast samurai sword swinging action you'll love this. :ninja:
Intriguing. I must admit that I really did like that sequence in Kill Bill Vol.1 :yes: Maybe I really need to give these anime movies/series a shot and see if I like them or not. Where would you all recommend I start? Something I can get now? because I'm definitely going to check out Broken Saints when it gets released. :yes:

Hellboy
07-13-2006, 11:50 PM
Where would you all recommend I start? Something I can get now? because I'm definitely going to check out Broken Saints when it gets released. :yes:

Cowboy Bebop is probably my favorite. It's a 26 episode series about a group of intergalactic Bounty Hunters. The animation is fast and smooth and the voice work is some of the best I've heard in an anime series. The universe is totally unique but it has a Matrix - Firefly - Star Wars feel to it. The story is where this series really shines though. The serialized format allows the characters to develop while the story arc slowly builds to a shocking and powerful finale. If you like Bebop I can definitely think of some others you'd enjoy as well.

UKWildcat
07-14-2006, 12:06 AM
Sounds good Hellboy, thanks for the recommendation. That is one anime program that I have heard before, and Ghost in the Shell maybe? Quick question though: Would I just view the Cowboy Beebop Remixs' V.01-06.? Is that the only way to view all the episodes? Or is there a set or something with less discs containing more episodes?

Thanks for taking the time.

Hellboy
07-14-2006, 08:07 PM
Would I just view the Cowboy Beebop Remixs' V.01-06.? Is that the only way to view all the episodes? Or is there a set or something with less discs containing more episodes?

To the best of my knowledge there are only two sets, both contain all 26 episodes spread out over six volumes. I own the original set but from what I hear the Remixes are the way to go as the sound has been remastered in Dolby Digital.