PDA

View Full Version : Clone Wars Animated - Wave Two!!!!!

bobafett07728
11-11-2003, 02:40 PM
I know that the Yoda will be pictured on the cover of the new Insider, but I recently stumbled across this ebay auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3155419362&category=50271

It is for the first wave of figures (there are three different auctions), but the card back shows Wave Two!!!!

The pictures are small, and they have a user ID over them, but you can easily make out Durge, Yoda, a Clone Trooper, and Dooku. Looks like we will get some more figures after all. Not too sure if an animated Clone Trooper was necessary. . . but I am looking forward to that Dooku.

So. . . if these sell. . . do you think we'll get another wave? Saesee Tinn, Kit Fisto, Palpatine, Amidala. . .

At first I was worried about these. . . but after seeing the first two episodes, I'm hooked, and I want some animated, and non-animated figures!!!!!

Tycho
11-11-2003, 02:58 PM
I might buy them if they made Padme. I think she's just too cute.

LTBasker
11-11-2003, 03:01 PM
The Clone's kind cool, maybe we'll see some CW toon ARC figures as well. Yoda and Dooku look pretty good, Durge really looks... feminine.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-11-2003, 03:03 PM
woah woah, wave 2??? is wave 1 even out yet?!?!

bobafett07728
11-11-2003, 03:13 PM
woah woah, wave 2??? is wave 1 even out yet?!?!

I don't think any are legitamitely "out" yet. This auction is overseas, and is probably straight out of the factory. I can't wait for wave one, but the pics on the cardback show that wave two is definitely in the works.

Durge really looks... feminine.
Yeah. . . I'm not too impressed with him either. That is how he looks in the cartoon though :rolleyes:

bobafett07728
11-11-2003, 03:14 PM
I might buy them if they made Padme. I think she's just too cute.

I was leaning more towards adorable. . . but I'll take cute.

Tycho
11-11-2003, 03:22 PM
Well, hold off on e-Bay. I'm betting these figures will be $3.99 or less when they debut. Here's why:

1) they don't go with our regular collection, so the low price point will entice us to buy, when we'd normally only rationalize a budget for the main line (which has us buying plenty already).

2) they aren't heavy on articulation or weapons, so they don't put too much into the packaging.

3) with less small parts, they'll appeal to parents of very young SW fans who did not get the Playskool stuff, or who would otherwise prefer at least somewhat poseable figures (weapons might be permanently molded to hands).

So Hasbro will squeeze more dollars out of their Star Wars license again.

In 1999 it was probably their most surprising failure.

In 2002 it was their largest success that blew every other toyline out of the water.

In 2003 it was a slowed-down year, but by X-mas time, Hasbro should close out 2003 with Star Wars as their leading property.

They seemed to have played their cards right (and done their market research).

It would then make sense that the figures will be $3.99 or less... Possibly even grocery-store marketable...

bobafett07728
11-11-2003, 03:32 PM
I agree. . . there is never any reason to pay $$$$ on eBay for a figure that hasn't seen it's US release yet. Not only do you pay WAY over retail, but you pay $15 in shipping. I don't see the logic.

Also. . . $3.99 would be a great price-point. Seeing how Target recently sold figures at this price, and I assume sold quite a few figures, it would make sense. Maybe that was a test-run? Doubtful. . . but you never know.

evenflow
11-11-2003, 03:50 PM
I really like these animated figures, much much better than the regular Clone Wars line which i just will not but.

Battle Droid
11-11-2003, 05:12 PM
COOL, the second wave looks much better than the first.

I'd also like,

Battle Droid (with missle laucher)
Super Battle Droid
Destroyer Droid
ARC Trooper (red & blue)

Those 4 should be Wave 3.

Now only if they weren't a Target exclusive... :frus:

Hellboy
11-11-2003, 07:49 PM
Sweet, Wave 2 looks great. :cool:

$3.99 or not I'm on board for whatever they throw at us in this style. A great alternative to the basic line of figures. :D

Thank the maker these are Target Exclusives and not Wal-Mart. :happy:

darthzirock
11-11-2003, 11:51 PM
I'd also like,

Battle Droid (with missle laucher)
Super Battle Droid
Destroyer Droid
ARC Trooper (red & blue)

Add a Padme and a Palpatine, break all six into two waves, and you've got waves 3 & 4!

Durge might look a bit ... odd ... but he is accurate to the cartoon character's design.

bobafett07728
11-12-2003, 12:21 PM
After seeing last nights episode, I want a Red ARC trooper with two blasters so he can "John Wayne" it like he was doing last night. Makes me mad that the one we have is just a repainted Blue ARC Trooper with only one laser rifle. :(

Hellboy
11-12-2003, 02:42 PM
After seeing last nights episode, I want a Red ARC trooper with two blasters so he can "John Wayne" it like he was doing last night. Makes me mad that the one we have is just a repainted Blue ARC Trooper with only one laser rifle. :(

I'd say his style was a bit more John Woo than John Wayne. ;)

If you have a couple of Clone Pilots and used them in a Gunship you should have a few extra pistols from them. Thats what I used for a few of my ARC Troopers and they look very cool especially since they already have an empty holster at their side. :D

bobafett07728
11-12-2003, 02:56 PM
I'd say his style was a bit more John Woo than John Wayne. ;)

Bad-*** nonetheless. ;)

amidalak
11-13-2003, 01:49 AM
i just hope the animated figs don't put a damper on more "regular" clone wars figs. i was hoping hasbro would rectify the barris offee/luminara unduli/shaak ti statue situation in that line. but the animated figs do look pretty nice.

darthzirock
11-13-2003, 11:15 AM
i just hope the animated figs don't put a damper on more "regular" clone wars figs. i was hoping hasbro would rectify the barris offee/luminara unduli/shaak ti statue situation in that line. but the animated figs do look pretty nice.

As the animated figure line is a Target exclusive, I doubt it will overshadow the regular CW line.

Yeah, it would be nice to get less "posed" versions of Luminara, Barriss, and Shaak Ti, but I doubt it will happen in the CW line. They are not mainstream enough to really warrant being revisited by Hasbro, as far as the company would be concerned, in my opinion. Perhaps we will see new figures of these characters in the Episode III line. Animated versions are even less likely, as I don't really see the animated figures going beyond wave 2. Had these gone to all retailers instead of just Target, then it might have had a better chance at being a sustained toy line.

jedi-cpa
11-13-2003, 05:19 PM
at another vlix fiasco.

bobafett07728
11-13-2003, 05:43 PM
at another vlix fiasco.

As a collector of the vintage Droids line. . . I hope, and sincerely doubt that Wave Two will share his fate.

BoShek
11-15-2003, 08:54 PM
$71 dollars? WOW!

darthzirock
11-16-2003, 01:01 AM
$71 dollars? WOW!
Man, I wish I had $71 (+ shipping) to blow on a single action figure that will be in stores for less than $5 in just a couple of months! :crazed:

JangoFart
11-21-2003, 04:05 PM
I won that Mace Windu that was up on eBay. I got it today and it is MUCH cooler in person than on a monitor. The packaging is everything I wanted it to be and I can't wait to get all of them. And, a clear close-up of that Yoda is pretty nice, too. Much better than the fuzzy shots I've seen online.

J

Tycho
11-21-2003, 04:16 PM
If you're talking about the Mace Windu from the CW line, I left 3 of them sitting on the pegs at my Target, along with 1 Durge, 3 Ventress, and 2 Obi-Wans.

Looked like it was probably just stocked though. But I went there to pick up the Bail Organa wave (just got that in, too).

But I did previously purchase 3 Mace figures and agree- it's a great figure of him and I'm saving some for movie diorama scenes if I don't end up using them for EU scenes. Trouble with Mace is, I already have extras of him since I'd gotten 5 sets of the Jedi Council Screen Scenes with him in it, to get the Oppos and Even Piels.

Right now, I have about 8 extra Mace figures, various sculpts, because I'm reworking what does in each scene with whichever version of Mace is best for the scene (obviously whether he's sitting in Council or not).

But I really like the CW version and think it makes an excellent MOVIE MACE figure.

JEDIpartner
11-21-2003, 04:18 PM
I think he's talking about the animated versions that will be shipping to Target stores for a January 2004 release...not the standard "Clone Wars" line.

JangoFart
11-21-2003, 06:07 PM
I think he's talking about the animated versions that will be shipping to Target stores for a January 2004 release...not the standard "Clone Wars" line.
Exactly. The topic here is the animated figures.

J

Tycho
11-21-2003, 08:41 PM
My mistake. I think that's going to happen with a lot of people getting discussion threads about the two waves confused. Huh?

Turbowars
11-24-2003, 12:00 AM
I have said in another thread that I like these, but I think I'll wait until I see them on the pegs before I say I will get into another line. The packaging is what I like now, so if the figures pan out, I'll get them. Though I think hasbro should have just stuck to the basic line and focused on figures never before seen in plastic. I guess Hasbro just figured the Cartoon would do well, because these figures along with the regular CW line were in production way before the cartoon started. hasbro got lucky!:D

Kidhuman
11-24-2003, 04:49 PM
Are they gonna make Obi in armor w/ speeder in ths line or the other?

bobafett07728
11-24-2003, 06:12 PM
Are they gonna make Obi in armor w/ speeder in ths line or the other?

Something tells me that will have to be a custom job, and we won't get that figure in either lines. I don't think either of the lines will be large enough to warrent a second version of one of the main characters. I would love to see it, especially with the speeder. . . but I'm not expecting it.

Kidhuman
11-24-2003, 08:10 PM
Thats toobad.I was really hoping for that one specific figure. Maybe, just maybe, Hasbro will suprise us.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-08-2003, 06:26 PM
These look damn cool. I'm getting Anakin, Obi-Wan, Yoda and Dooku.

I didn't think I'd get these when I first saw the cartoon but now, I'm convinced I'm getting em. :)

Tycho
12-08-2003, 06:36 PM
I'm going to pass on all the cartoon animated CW figures. I'd rather army-build within the more realistic line and it's going to get real expensive.

However, with limited articulation (as they appear), I think you guys will find a $2.99 or $3.99 price point on your animated figures.

amidalak
12-08-2003, 06:49 PM
yeah, tycho, i'm with you, i'll pass on these (with the exception of obi wan, my fav character!) they look good, but they just aren't what i want in action figs.

Silent Chazz
12-08-2003, 08:26 PM
How way off do the Cartoon Clonetroopers look from the life-like ones? They MIGHT be usable for Clone Armies.

Tycho
12-08-2003, 10:04 PM
I LIKE YOUR JAINA SOLO avitar!

But I can't answer your question yet. I don't think anyone's seen them.

The Clones on the cartoon show don't sport that "Gennedy Animated-Look," so they could possibly work.

However, if they fit the limited poseability pattern we're thinking the Animated will have, they'll be no better or worse than the 3 pack ones.

3-packs = 3 for $10 or proportionately 1 for $3.33.

If the ACW Figures are anywhere from $2.99 to $3.99, the difference will only amount to pocket change for pre-posed figures.

They might be made out of "cartoony plastic," that's meant to look more fake, as well.

Whatever the case, they will be no match for the Super Articulated Clone Trooper!

LTBasker
12-08-2003, 10:56 PM
Judging from the pics that have surfaced of wave 2 on the back of the wave 1 animated cards, the Clone is alot more sharp edged than the "live-action" Clones. It definitely wouldn't fit in, I'll try and dig up a pic to put on here. Looks cool though.

Found it at RoboChris, it's so far the closest we've seen IIRC: http://www.robochris.com/infomation/images/swtop/sw1129_2.jpg

Tycho
12-08-2003, 11:48 PM
Crap! Thanks for posting that picture Basker.....

Now I might want them. (Groan)

Dooku, Yoda, Durge, and the Clone are adorably cute. They help make the others in the line part of something nifty.

OK, if I fold, I'll probably just buy one of each of them.... (resistance getting weaker).

Darn it! Could you please stop posting pictures like that?!

LTBasker
12-09-2003, 12:06 AM
Sorry Tycho :D I agree they look alot better than Wave 1, I hope to do a custom animated Obi-Wan in Clone armor. Mace would probably help with the cloak parts after a head swap, although it looks like the Clone could have a ball jointed head. (It would look pretty goofy stuck in a looking down posistion)

darthzirock
12-09-2003, 12:15 AM
OK, if I fold, I'll probably just buy one of each of them.... (resistance getting weaker).

RESISTANCE IS FUTILE! The ACW figures are a Dark Side plot, Tycho ...

Once you start down the path of collecting this line, forever will it dominate your destiny! Things are going exactly as I have foreseen! :evil:

JangoFart
12-10-2003, 05:05 PM
That pic is one I took of the Mace Windu I got off of eBay. I gave permission to RoboChris to use it on his site, not thejawa. I shall have to fuss at them....

J

LTBasker
12-10-2003, 05:37 PM
That pic is one I took of the Mace Windu I got off of eBay. I gave permission to RoboChris to use it on his site, not thejawa. I shall have to fuss at them....

J

In their report it sounds like they were browsing his site after the pics of the glasses with Obi and Maul surfaced, I guess they saw it on there and got permission to post about it. (It was in the same post as the one with the glasses)