PDA

View Full Version : Ghostbusters, who you gonna call.... NECA!!!

Beast
11-12-2003, 06:08 PM
NECA has aquired the toy license for another of the holy grails of movies. This was dropped on RTM's site as a rumor. But Randy from NECA confirmed that yes, they have the license. No word on whether the figures will be movie based. Or if they will be based on the new comic interpretations of the Fab 4.

Series I will launch with: Gozer the Gozerian, The Terror Dogs, Slimer, and a Big Stay Puff Marshmallow Man. They are hoping to include the 4 Ghostbusters themselves in Series II. Hopefully they can get the rights to the actual movie charatcers. But Bill Murry has been a pain in the arse about his likeness in the past.

I'll update the thread as I learn more. Kick Arse. Hopefully Louis, Janine, Vigo, Janosh, The Scoleri Brothers, and maybe a giant Statue a Liberty will be future charatcers they can tape for figures. Especially Vigo. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
11-12-2003, 06:16 PM
IIRC, I heard about this at figures.com a while back. Not being able to do the actual Ghostbusters themselves is gonna torpedo this line though.

I still have my Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man from the original line. :D

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-12-2003, 06:17 PM
JJB- if you weren't a dirty, slimy gungan, i'd hug ya dawg!! ROCK ON!!! I had every possible toy from the original Ghostbusters line when i was a young lad. I CANNOT WAIT FOR THESE!!!!! Man, these are going to rule...yeah, i remember how the toys all looked pretty close to the characters except for Venkmen. Hopefully, NECA can show that they're going to do the figures justice and Bill will agree to it. OH, this is great....(mike gets giddy and tosses on the original "Ghostbusters")

:D

Beast
11-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Yeah. They did the bobble heads first to see if doing an action figure line would be feasible. They did bobbles of Slimer and Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. But this is the announcement of the actual figure line. The same guys that are doing the amazing Hellraiser figure line are working on these. They just posted the article from ToyFare also. :)

NECA first got a sense of how much fan-demand there was for Ghostbusters action figures when they releasedtheir Ghostbusters "Body-Knockers"--bobbling figurines of Slimer and the Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man--earlier this year. "The reaction was huge," Chris Farinas said. "Action figures seemed to be the next logical step. The fan base has always wanted the line."

The first line of 7-inch scale action figures will focus on the creatures of 'Ghostbusters', including Slimer, with an ectoplasm display base and munching action; Gozer, with interchangable head and hands and translucent energy beams; terror dogs Zuul and Vinz Clortho, each with light-up eyes and a temple base; and an 18-inch rotocast Stay-Puft Marshmallow Man, with a city street base, an altenate head and movable eyes.

In addition to the ghost figures, there will also be a line of Ghostbusters Genomes, featuring block figures of the original foursome--Venkman, Spengler, Stantz and Zeddmore--with a Slimer figure twrown in for good measure.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
11-14-2003, 12:08 AM
First idea what we're in store has appeared. Not sure what this is from, could be from the issue of ToyFare where they broke the news. But basically it's the design sketches for the Male Terror Dog, Vinz Clortho. You can also see in the upper right hand corner, that it connects with Gozer and Zuul's bases as well. Holy hell this toy line is going to be sweet. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-14-2003, 12:28 AM
"Bases connect to form Temple Steps Diorama"

HOLY crap!! Thank you, NECA!!! you are relighting my faith in action figures which has dwindled as of late!!! I cannot wait for this line!! This figure is going to rock!! I cannot wait to see more sketches and the final product!

JJB- thanks for the IM! I got up to take some sudafed and caught it; now, i'm kinda glad i have a cold, or i would've had to wait to see these sketches until morning! :D

Beast
11-14-2003, 12:31 AM
Sorry to hear you're sick, JMG. Hope that this makes you feel a lil bit better. And I agree, what NECA has been doing as of late is really relighting the growing loss of faith I've had in decent movie property figures. First Hellraiser, then Gremlins, and now Ghostbusters. Bring it on NECA. You rock my world. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Star Matt
11-25-2003, 06:45 PM
I HAVE TO HAVE THE 10in. Rotocast Stay Puft Marshmellow man with moveable eyes and city street base!

Beast
01-27-2004, 10:42 PM
A small update on the Stay Puft Marshmellow Man. He lost the 2nd head, and the street base. But it's all good. They did it so they could keep the price down. They're expecting him to retail for around $20. Which isn't bad for an 18" figure. :)

We are trying to keep the retail for Stay Puft under $20
Some of the featues on the early control art have had to be eliminated to make this piece affordable. There will be no alternate head or base for Stay Puft. Trust me though he is HUGE and will be a welcome addition to the collection of any GB fan.

We hope to have a prototype on display at Toy Fair.

Thanks
Randy
NECA
Reel Toys
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-28-2004, 12:06 AM
Some more news from Randy of NECA, damn these sound *****in' cool.

Just wanted to share some GB News I am posting at the GB Board tonight.
I have to keep my friends here informed...

The figures are basically 7" scale. This is a vague definition of scale but let's say they would fit in with our Hellraiser size figures. Gozer stands about 6 3/4"
The Terror Dogs (with light up eyes are big - very big) and Slimer is about 3"-3 1/2" and comes with a base he can be displayed on or off and an assortment of food and drink.

Stay Puft stands about 15" tall - our original specs called for 18" but when we created the prototpye and saw how BIG he is in proportion legs, arms, torso 18" was too big especially since we are trying to keep the cost for Stay Puft under $20. When you see him displayed with the rest of the figures you will be pleased for Puft Daddy is a BIG toy and looks awesome.

The Slimer and Puft were re-sculpted for their toy versions and are articulated. Here is a brief rundown of the articulation:

Slimer
neck (so well hidden in the fat folds you don't even know it is there)
ball jointed shoulders
wrists

Gozer
neck (comes with 2 different heads)
interchangeable hands with energy beams
shoulders
wrists
v-crotch

Terror Dogs
neck (up and down and side to side)
legs
light up eyes

Stay Puft
neck
ball jointed shoulders
legs
more

Since there is so much interest in this series and I have been flooded with e-mails lately I will try to post a teaser image tomorrow. I know there will be prototype images in the Previews catalog soon so I mine as well treat you GB fans to something special.

I will see what I can put together tomorrow...

Thanks
Randy
NECA
Reel Toys
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2004, 12:12 AM
Well, goodbye mr. extra kidney, as i need $$ badly for toys and you're just not cuttin the slack!! :D I'm going to be so broke this year!!

Man, these sound AWESOME!!! NECA is just showing McFarlane who their daddy is!!! These sound (and i bet they look) FANTASTIC...not to mention their "Kill bill" line of figures...these are due out in Feb, is that right, JJB?? My birthday is in March...so, maybe for the first time in many years, the Mikester might be askin' for some Ghostbusters toys for his berfday!!!

I can't wait to hear what's due for the second wave, hopefully the busters themselves. Is there any word on Bill Murray and his likeness? maybe they should ask him now; he's probably in a good mood after a golden globe win and an oscar nod. I can't wait!! :D

Beast
01-28-2004, 12:19 AM
Yeah, they're Kill Bill list is nuts. I've been reading the news about them. The Crazy 88's have removable limbs. And spray 'blood', in the form of Disappearing Ink from the cut off limbs. The Bride also comes in two flavors, bloody for the Crazy 88 battle. And clean for the Oren battle. It's a funky line, but I'm not a huge fan of Tarentino's stuff. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-28-2004, 05:48 PM
Here's the first look, of the Slimer figure. NECA's going to show one each day on the horror board I'm on. So stay tuned for more updates. As posted above, he was sculpted by Shawn Nagle. Has neck and arm articulation. And comes with the food shown in the picture. And a base to simulate flying/floating. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-28-2004, 05:52 PM
HOLY JESUS!!! THAT LOOKS AMAZING!!! AWESOME!!! I swear, McFarlane could take some notes on how to do figures from NECA. He looks fabulous!!!

(pounds desk) I want more images, dammit!! I wanna see Gozer, the Dogs and my boy, Stay Puft!!! now!! now now!! :D

Beast
01-29-2004, 04:09 PM
Here's a picture of good old Vinz Clortho: The Terror Dog. Sculpted by Shawn Nagle. And features neck (up and down and side to side) and leg articulation. As well as light up eyes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
01-29-2004, 05:20 PM
I really like this figure, but the mouth is weird to me for some reason. I don't know if it's how the cheeks are flying out like or what, but it's rubbing me the wrong way for some reason. Other than that, it looks fantastic! :D

Beast
01-30-2004, 05:57 PM
There is no Dana, Only Zuul!!! :D

Today brings us a look at the only time in history you can truly call Sigourney Weaver a dog.

Zuul here may look a lot like Vinz from yesterday, and understandably so becausethey beasically share the same mold. However, let me take a minute to show you just how committed to detail NECA is.

There is a slight difference between the 2 dogs. If you compare the pics side by side, you will notice that Vinz, the male, has longer horns than Zuul. It is a detail taken straight from the film, and something that could have been easily overlooked or ignored. Instead, they go for every possible detail they could in bringing you a reason for Die Hard fans to buy both rather than just settle for the one.

Now, we will take a brief recess from our Daily Ghostbuster revelations, and return Monday to show you the most impressive flat-top to come around since McFarlane's Terminator figure. Come back next week as we unveil Gozer the Gozerian. Until then, Have a great weekend!
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
02-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Updated news and pictures from Action-Figure.com. :)

NEW GHOSTBUSTERS IMAGES!!! NECA, masters of snapping up the licenses your crying for, will be cranking out this line in March, or so the reports say. Be on the lookout for The Terrordogs (The Key Master & Gate Keeper), The Stay Puft Marshmallow Man, Slimer and Gozer! These images come from the Star Images catalog, used with their consent. Rumor across the show says that NECA told a retailer that they HAVE AQUIRED ALL LIKENESS RIGHTS to the Ghostbusters franchise!! If this is true, the boys in gray should be right around the corner. When we get confirmation on this, you'll be the first to know.
Update: I mixed up Zuul and Vinz. But I'm just going to leave it as is. Don't feel like deleting and re-uploading. Just take into account that I mixed them up. And enjoy. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-01-2004, 10:43 PM
AHHHHHHHHH!!!! WOOHOOOO!!!!! These are so going to rule!!!! From that "have acquired all rights" it seems to me that Bill Murray FINALLY consented to getting his likeness used?!?!!? Man, this line is going to kick some serious a--!!!! WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO!! :D

Gozer & Stay Puft look great too!!! woohooooo!! :D

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 02:09 AM
What is it with NECA figures and their obvious joints? That seems to be their biggest problem so far, good or better sculpts but joint lines from 10 years ago.

Anyway, these look pretty good, but I'm still not totally convinced yet.

Beast
02-02-2004, 02:16 AM
What is it with NECA figures and their obvious joints? That seems to be their biggest problem so far, good or better sculpts but joint lines from 10 years ago.

Anyway, these look pretty good, but I'm still not totally convinced yet.
The final products are probably going to look a lot better. Some of the early Hellraiser protos had obvious joints also. But the final versions turned out great. The Gozer figure is the only one that looks like it suffers from obvious joints right now. I think they'll fix it in the end. And I know some people hate V-Crotches, but seriously....it looks better then the alternative on female figures. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 03:34 AM
I will buy this line as long as NECA gets the right to the likeness of Rick Moranis.

Stay Puft, I wish he had on his smiling face. I am not a fan of his "Hey, why'd you Ghostbusters try and hurt me for?" look. A cool figure, still.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 06:50 AM
I will buy this line as long as NECA gets the right to the likeness of Rick Moranis.

Stay Puft, I wish he had on his smiling face. I am not a fan of his "Hey, why'd you Ghostbusters try and hurt me for?" look. A cool figure, still.

I always felt kinda bad for stay puft in the film because he had on that damned grin nearly the entire time he was walkin' around NYC. He looked like he was having quite a good time and he looks so sad when the boys kill him and let's not forget the devasting look on his face in the background when they're crossing the streams. Poor guy just wanted to walk around New York. They should make a prequel about Stay Puft's earlier adventures! :D

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 08:48 AM
Okay, who brought the dog?

Hours later and I still miss the smiling Stay Puft. Slimer looks excellent! Gozer I am not interested in, since the character never interested me. The dogs, I am unsure about. I may buy them, I may not. Nothing against the sculpts of the figures, though. Ghostbuster figures I would love to see. Pete and Ray being my tops, though Louis would be nice.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 09:21 AM
You know what NECA could do, is make DIFFERENT versions of Louis Tully. You could have a Louis in his exercise blue jumpsuit, another in his party outfit and another in his party outfit but with that huge helmet contraption thing on his head. eh eh eh!! :p

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 01:05 PM
That would be cool if they had made a dog with the coats on him in the closet. Then you can put Louis outside the door and replay the scene. Let the hilarity ensue! Or how about his encounter outside the restaurant with the dog? Louis would make one hot figure.

Beast
02-02-2004, 05:16 PM
That would be cool if they had made a dog with the coats on him in the closet. Then you can put Louis outside the door and replay the scene. Let the hilarity ensue! Or how about his encounter outside the restaurant with the dog? Louis would make one hot figure.
You have some sick obsession with Louis Tully, don't you? :D But yes, Luis needs to be made. So does Viggo, posessed Yanish. And the Scolleri Brothers. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
02-02-2004, 05:56 PM
I do, it stems from my dad repeating the "who brought the dog" line repeatedly when I was child. The line grew on me, and I grew to love Louis. :kiss:

Beast
02-02-2004, 06:11 PM
Here's the rest of the pictures from NECA. And the full poster. Gozer looks a bit better here. I'm sure the final version's legs will fit a lot better. It will of course have interchangable heads and hands. They all look really nice. Gozer needs some tightening of the joints. But otherwise, nicey nice. :)

Well, you take time out to watch 1 Football game and before you know it, everyone is showing stuff before you. Seriously though, you may have seen it already, but here she is as we promised; NECA's Gozer the Gozerian from Series 1 of their Ghostbusters line. As stated below, The flattop will come with interchangeable heads and hands, and rounds out Series 1 of a long demanded line nicely.

Also, for those that are wondering "Where are The Freakin Ghostbusters?!" NECA wants you to know that they are hard at work on brining you figures of your favorite Ecto Exterminators so keep checking back for news.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-02-2004, 09:25 PM
I don't think there's one element of Ghostbusters II that I'd be willing to buy in toy form. Even the Ecto 1 was defaced in that film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
02-02-2004, 10:04 PM
I don't think there's one element of Ghostbusters II that I'd be willing to buy in toy form. Even the Ecto 1 was defaced in that film.

Ok, JT, i'm going to have to politely ask you to leave this thread and never return!! :D
Ghostbusters II was freakin' awesome, man!!! How can you hate it?!?! CLASSIC FILM!!! CLASSIC, I SAY!! :crazed:

Lman316
02-02-2004, 10:26 PM
"Slime! A river of slime!" :D

The figures look nice to me and I'm sure the joints will tightened by their release.

I really hope the comment about them getting all the likenesses is accurate. I've been waiting for decent movie versions of these characters for a long time.

Now I just need some cash... :cry:

End...

Beast
02-02-2004, 10:37 PM
Ok, JT, i'm going to have to politely ask you to leave this thread and never return!! :D
Ghostbusters II was freakin' awesome, man!!! How can you hate it?!?! CLASSIC FILM!!! CLASSIC, I SAY!! :crazed:
I have to concur, get out. J/K. But Ghostbusters II was classic. I hope they do a 15" rotocast Statue of Liberty also. And we can have her battling the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man. I'd also like to see mini-figures for the Stay Puft and Statue of Liberty. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
02-04-2004, 09:58 PM
I have to concur, get out. J/K. But Ghostbusters II was classic. You concurring with Guyute's :crazed: crazed-face too? ;) Ghostbusters II was a classic alright... a classic example of Hollywood sequelitis! :D

Card Dreamer
03-20-2004, 01:26 AM
I too will have to agree Ghostbusters II was a great movie. No, it didn't live up to part 1, but it was still good. I would love to see figures from this movie;

The guys w/ Slimeblowers
Louis In GB Gear
Janine (she was just plain diff i the movie. I don't have to specify it =P)
Possesed Ray
Vigo
the Scalary Bros. (not spelled right).
Peter in court appearence suit with Proton pack.

I love the figures that have been shown so far! i can't wait to get this new Stay puft and have my old RGB busters try and take him on with his RGB puft jr. ;) :evil:

Beast
05-05-2004, 02:14 PM
First packaged pictures of one of the Ghostbusters figures is up. Slimer, in this case. And he looks kick arse. Love the fact that he glows in the dark. :)

http://www.necaonline.com/gbnews5.html

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Droid
05-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Ghostbusters II was one of the worst sequels ever.

First, it just wasn't as funny. Second, it was dumb to have had Dana have a baby just because the plot called for one. I could see Venkman and Dana breaking up after the first Ghostbusters, but the baby was a dumb plot device. Third, the slime that responded to emotion was ridiculous. The idea that everyone had to cheer up in order to save the city just seemed so contrived. Also, the fact that they used a Nintendo controller to move the Statue of Liberty was so stupid. In addition, what happened to Egon and Janine's budding relationship from the first movie? She would never have fallen in love with Louis. She could love a bookworm like Egon, but not a geek like Louis. And what happened to her hair? Also, Louis would NEVER have gotten a ride with Slimer and having Slimer come back at all was a bit of a stretch. He was just a random ghost in the first movie. Why is he back? Ray and Winston signing the Ghostbusters song was so stupid. Why did that song exist in the Ghostbusters world?

There were great moments. It made sense that everyone would sue the Ghostbusters after the first movie and they would lose everything. The trial sequence where they first turn on the proton packs again was great and Louis defending them WAS funny. The Vigo plot was not bad, but then again Dana was a concert musician, yet she just happens to work in a museum in this one. Why? BECAUSE THE PLOT CALLED FOR IT.

But all in all the movie was just terrible. The bad so outweighed the good. Another attempt to cash in.

James Boba Fettfield
05-05-2004, 11:41 PM
I like that Slimer in package.

Ji'dai
07-14-2004, 03:38 PM
Found these at Suncoast today, $9.99 each. Picked up Zuul Terror Dog, Vinz Clortho Terror Dog, Slimer, and Gozer. All pretty sweet, Gozer is nice, but not quite up to par with McFarlane's female figures. They didn't get the 15" Stay Puft Marshmallow Man in yet.

Jayspawn
07-16-2004, 10:12 AM
My Media Play just got in ALL pf the new Ghostbusters figures including the StayPuft Marshmllow Man! He was $21.99! And let me tell ya -he's HUGE! The figures were $9.99.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
07-27-2004, 12:51 AM
well, i was going to skip this line due to financial reasons, but thanks to my connections, i picked up the 4 figures, plus an extra slimer for roughly about 30 bucks (40% discount!). I keep my stuff MOC,but these figures look VERY AWESOME. I cannot wait to rip open the extra slimer and mess with him. However, i am kinda irked that the whole idea of the figures with bases kinda fell through. Any idea why?

I can't wait to find staypuft.

Also, any word on the likenesses for the Busters themselves for wave II??! :D

Ji'dai
07-28-2004, 02:11 PM
I love these figures! I opened mine a couple of weeks ago. Glad NECA didn't skimp on Slimer's accessories. His turkey even has removable legs! And his wine bottle's label says, "Chateau Venkman 1984 Ecto Claret" :D

Gozer's alternate hands and head are very easy to interchange. Her hands with lightning remind me of that version of The Emperor that came out a few years ago.

The only thing I don't like is both Terror Dogs have the same sculpt, so if you place them on either side of Gozer, one is looking forward, the other away. The light-up eye feature is very bright and very cool.

:thumbs up:

B'Omarr Monkey
07-29-2004, 09:48 PM
I haven't found any of these yet, but can't wait to. I concur that Ghostbusters 2 was absolutely awful. I can't think of a thing about it I liked, and it was one of the movies I was most looking forward to. How could they have gone so, so wrong with that sequel?

As to why Slimer had a cameo in G2, he had a popular Saturday morning cartoon on at the time. It was not great by any means (but still better than Ghostbusters 2), but the regular cartoon show based on the movie was great. I recommend that to anyone who can find it.

Dr Zoltar
07-29-2004, 10:11 PM
As to why Slimer had a cameo in G2, he had a popular Saturday morning cartoon on at the time. It was not great by any means (but still better than Ghostbusters 2), but the regular cartoon show based on the movie was great. I recommend that to anyone who can find it.
Agreed! "The Real Ghostbusters" was fairly decent. One of my favorite episodes was "The Collect Call of Cthulhu" paying homage to good 'ole HP Lovecraft. The sequel show "Extreme Ghostbusters" was good as well but only lasted one season. The show only starred Egon of the original 4, but there was a special episode that showed what happened to the other 3.