PDA

View Full Version : The fate of FARSCAPE will be revealed tomorrow

darthzirock
11-13-2003, 05:08 PM
The fate of FARSCAPE will be revealed tomorrow
Is the cancelled sci-fi series on the verge of a comeback?
Dateline: Wednesday, November 12, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL

Dark Horizons reports in today's news that something unusual is happening at the former production offices of FARSCAPE. An informant for the popular Australian movie news website told webmaster Garth Franklin that the show was back in business, with four to six new episodes of the science fiction series ordered. All of the original cast and crew were also back.

Franklin decided to see if there was any truth to the rumor and placed a call to the show's former production office. Surprisingly and on three separate occasions, Franklin's calls were terminated before the voice on the other line could be tricked into giving an answer, and on one phone call he was actually insulted for inquiring.

And here's where we drop the other shoe: we know for a fact that tomorrow afternoon The Jim Henson Company will host a press conference concerning the future of FARSCAPE. Among those FARSCAPE creators scheduled to attend are producers Brian Henson and David Kemper, with series creator Rockne O'Bannon also a likely participant. The purpose of the event? To announce a "new development" with FARSCAPE.

Now, you put it together and ask yourself the following question: why would the producers of a dead series be arranging a sudden press conference? All indicators point to the return of FARSCAPE.

It may be a little premature to pop open the champagne but we advise to have it chill on ice for the next 24 hours. I'll be attending the conference as as soon as the FARSCAPE news is revealed, look for the story to appear on the site shortly thereafter.

So, what happened? Unfortunately ... nothing!

FARSCAPE press conference postponed
To be rescheduled, but when?
By: PATRICK SAURIOL
News Editor

We've just learned that today's planned for press conference announcing a new development with the cancelled FARSCAPE television series has been postponed until further notice. A representative told us that the conference will be rescheduled to a later, unknown date.

What this means for the fate of the popular sci-fi series and the rumors published earlier this week about a second shot at life for FARSCAPE remain unclear. Did the earlier reports of a newly reopened production office throw a monkey wrench into someone's plans?

:eek: Oh, great! So, a rumor about the show getting revived is posted on the Internet and this causes the deal to fall through? Riiiiight ...

Unfortunately, David Kemper has been known to pull these kinds of stunts in the past, so I don't doubt that maybe he's got something in the works with reviving Farscape, jumped the gun on leaking the info, and it's blown up in his face!

sith_killer_99
11-14-2003, 07:22 AM
The rumor I heard was that they were going to do a final shot (something like 6 episodes or so) and wrap the show for good. Sorta like putting a final chapter to the popular series which ended rather abruptly.

At this point it's all rumor.

Beast
11-14-2003, 10:24 AM
I'd rather see the series actually pull a 'Star Trek' and come back from the dead. It was a dirty deal how the Sci-Fi channel cancelled them. First saying they were a go for a fifth season, and then right as they were filming the last episode of the fourth season, drop the news on them that they were canned. Even though they were making the station a lot of cash, and it was there second most popular show. And where did they dump the cash, into Tremors the Series. Which bombed, big time. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

sith_killer_99
11-14-2003, 12:00 PM
And where did they dump the cash, into Tremors the Series. Which bombed, big time.

Was there ever any doubt that it would bomb? Look at the whole premise for the series. :rolleyes:

I admit, Buffy the Vampire Slayer sounded like a weak idea for a TV show, but hey...it still had a cool theme...Vampires!

Farscape was cut far too short, and I hope whoever the idiot was that cancelled the show looses (or lost) their job.

darthzirock
11-14-2003, 11:10 PM
I'd rather see the series actually pull a 'Star Trek' and come back from the dead. It was a dirty deal how the Sci-Fi channel cancelled them. First saying they were a go for a fifth season, and then right as they were filming the last episode of the fourth season, drop the news on them that they were canned. Even though they were making the station a lot of cash, and it was there second most popular show. And where did they dump the cash, into Tremors the Series. Which bombed, big time.

Actually, that's not quite what happened ...

Farscape was a joint production between Sci-Fi Channel and a German investors' group. SFC had a promise of the funds for the fifth season from the Germans. Shows like Tremors and Scare Tactics were already being developed and those budgets were already approved. Then, the Germans took a huge hit in the stock market. They pulled their money out of the Farscape deal, leaving SFC in the lurch. All of SFC's money was already in other projects. Rather than just produce a half-season (it would actually have been less than half), they tried to find other backers, without success. This left SFC with only one choice--cancel the series.

Tremors: The Series bombed, yes, but do you know what? Its initial ratings were exactly the same as Farscape's. That was another part of the problem SFC faced--although it was a success with the critics and a favorite of a very devoted but small group of fans, Farscape never was a ratings-grabber, not like Stargate SG1. Plus, Tremors was less of a gamble than Farscape, because the three Tremors films always do very well in the ratings on SFC. Scare Tactics, on the other hand, is a big hit! Which puzzles me, because I think the show's so stupid and lame as to be virtually unwatchable.

If Farscape gets a reprieve in the form of a mini-series or even a full season of episodes, I think it will definitely be attributed to two things: David Kemper's often ill-advised and tactless insistence that the show "must" live (because the guy has no other ideas or projects), and the artistry of everyone else involved in the series.

darthzirock
11-15-2003, 03:33 PM
Confirmed: Farscape Miniseries on the Way!
The rumors are true...

November 14, 2003 - As IGN FilmForce reported back in July, a new FARSCAPE project is finally on its way. While an official announcement was postponed earlier this week, IGN FilmForce has learned that the production office in Australia has re-opened and work has begun on a new project.

The Henson company would not comment on the information but a source close to the production has confirmed that the new project will be a miniseries, not a new season as originally hoped for by the fans. While no plot details are available, sources have also confirmed that the new project will be independent from the Sci-Fi Channel, the network that broadcast the series. No information is currently available about just where the new miniseries will be appearing or when.

Obviously, this is good news for the fans that have fought so hard to bring the series back but there may be cause for guarded optimism. The miniseries is currently seen as a standalone project with no new episode commitment attached, so nothing is guaranteed beyond this project. More information as it becomes available right here at IGNFF.

Pretty much what we'd all been expecting, although I thought it would be airing on Sci-Fi Channel, not in first-run syndication. However, they might have offered it to SFC and they passed on it because of their past head-butting sessions with David Kemper. I'll try to get confirmation on this from my sources within SFC.

Hellboy
11-15-2003, 07:45 PM
A mini-series would be great but I doubt the show would ever come back as a regular series. If this project is a success I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a few Farscape TV movies along the same lines as the Babylon 5 movies but hopefully better. It would be cool if Showtime or maybe HBO picked this up but as long as the loose ends get tied up I'd be happy. :)

darthzirock
11-17-2003, 04:28 PM
FARSCAPE creator addresses rumors
It's what isn't being said that's the most interesting
Dateline: Sunday, November 16, 2003

By: PATRICK SAURIOL, News Editor
Source: Karlsweb Newscape

The Karlsweb Newscape fansite is covering the Burbank FARSCAPE Creation convention taking place this weekend, and of primary interest is what is not being said by the show's stars and creators. However, if you read between the lines you may have the answer you were hoping for regarding the rumors of the show's imminent return.

When show creator Rockne O'Bannon took to the stage on Saturday, he told the crowd that there wasn't any news he could give about the FARSCAPE rumors. Indeed, he went on, he really shouldn't even be at this con because he should be "at home right now writing hour three."

O'Bannon also said that he was planning on being on a conference call in the near future involving 25 other people, none of whom he would name. However, he did add that FARSCAPE producers Brian Henson and David Kemper are in Australia at the moment working on something. Hmm, wonder what that could be?

Finally, when it was time for Claudia Black to take questions from the crowd, someone asked if the actress had found any new work. Black said that there was indeed a project that she had to commit for and had to turn down other work for it -- but that she couldn't reveal what it was at the moment. There also may have been a few winks and nudges delivered to the crowd as well.

Oy vey ... just go ahead and announce it already! Sheesh ... :rolleyes:

Beast
04-06-2004, 02:33 PM
Well, we got some info about the Mini-Series. Still wish that the series would come back. Since the ratings were good, and it was still making money. Oh well, anything is better then nothing. :)

SCI FI Brings Back Farscape

SCI FI announced it will be bringing back Farscape with an all-new miniseries called Farscape: Peacekeeper War slated to air in the fourth quarter of this year. The four-hour miniseries picks up where the cliffhanger series finale left off and will reunite John Crichton (Ben Browder), Aeryn Sun (Claudia Black) and the rest of the Moya crew.

Farscape creator Rockne O'Bannon and executive producer David Kemper wrote the miniseries, which was directed by Brian Henson. Peacekeeper War was produced by the Jim Henson Company and Hallmark Entertainment, and executive produced by Robert Halmi Jr.

SCI FI will make the official announcement at noon on Monday, April 5, during the channel's advertising sales "upfront" presentation.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

darthzirock
04-11-2004, 01:48 AM
Well, we got some info about the Mini-Series. Still wish that the series would come back. Since the ratings were good, and it was still making money. Oh well, anything is better then nothing. :)

JJB, are you forgetting what I said here? (http://forums.sirstevesguide.com/showpost.php?p=292954&postcount=5) FARSCAPE's ratings were not "good." They had steadily declined, in fact. FARSCAPE was not making money, because Sci-Fi Channel had to give money back to advertisers when it didn't get the ratings that were promised. Plus, the show's German co-producers backed out of co-financing the last season, leaving SFC with a sudden budgetary shortfall. Shows like TREMORS: THE SERIES were already in development before FARSCAPE was canceled--a move I bet SFC regrets now, seeing as it not only tanked but they had to spend extra money on it after the special effects for the first six shows were deemed subpar and had to be reshot! The only reason this mini-series is getting made is that the show was a darling of the critics, and a very small-but-vocal fanbase has managed to grow their numbers through the series' release on DVD. Not that I see that as a bad thing, mind you. Decent sci-fi shows are too few and far between, as it is. Just, try to keep things in perspective and someplace close to reality in your assessment of FARSCAPE, JJB. Remember, if STAR TREK had been a ratings success, it would have probably run as long as GUNSMOKE or HAWAII FIVE-0!

sith_killer_99
04-11-2004, 09:19 AM
Remember, if STAR TREK had been a ratings success, it would have probably run as long as GUNSMOKE or HAWAII FIVE-0!

Speaking of keeping things in perspective, remember the original STAR TREK (I am assuming you are talking about the original here) ran 80 episodes! By todays standards that's 5 seasons. Considering most new prime time shows run short seasons their first year (16-18 episodes) and around 22 epoisodes per year after that. By todays standards a 5 year runs is a success!

Also, let's not forget that the original series has spawned 4 successful additional series! All of which ran well past the 5 season mark, except for "Enterprise" which is still in production, and a host of movies with the original cast!

Also Hawaii Five-0 and Gunsmoke have never been as successful as STAR TREK in syndication.

All I am trying to say, is that if you want to downplay Farscape, comparing it to the most successful franchise in television and movie history probably isn't your best bet.

BTW, Farscapes ratings were NOT on a decline, I googled it. Farscape had a 1 million plus steady viewership! Just check here:

http://richard04330.tripod.com/farscape/Ratings.htm

Now, about Angel... ;)

JediTricks
04-11-2004, 09:32 PM
Actually, 80 eps is about 4 seasons today including your "shy" first season, and generally not syndicatable for another season; though back then the show only needed a full 3rd season to get syndicated, which is why the letter-writing campaign during Trek's season 2 cancellation really saved Trek's bacon, by allowing a 3rd season they made it possible to have the series live on in reruns and build its audience. However, Trek shows usually run 26 eps per season and don't have short freshmen years. Oh, and Enterprise is on the brink of cancellation due to weak ratings.

JediTricks
10-20-2004, 08:08 PM
Well, Sunday and Monday brought us 4 more hours of Farscape, and they were outstanding! The first half blew my mind, a sweeping epic that totally captured everything really incredible about this series... except perhaps Rigel having Aeryn's baby gestating inside him. The second half was really good on a more intimate path, but still really delivered the goods and wrapped up the wormhole weapon plotline with such an amazing display. All in all, I felt both satiated and yet also hungry for more. I hope everybody who wanted more Farscape enjoyed this, it may not have been as good as another season, but it was still great none the less.