PDA

View Full Version : Will you be giving any Star Wars gifts this holiday?

Tycho
11-17-2003, 01:47 AM
Now's the season for giving. Meanwhile business reports I've read say retail sales have been slow, Wal-Mart's growth's failed to meet forecasts, the economy may be recovering, but it's gaining momentum at a very unimpressive rate.

How does that affect us, Star Wars collectors who rabidly pursue toy manufacturer items for ourselves?

Well, most completists here know what they'll be shopping for, and pickers-n-choosers like myself will be doing are thing, some army-building or whatnot.

But will any of you be purchasing Star Wars items as gifts for other people?

I've been considering looking for sales and taking advantage of them to offer toys to San Diego's younger fire victims.

The KB Toys Value Packs might work real nicely for gifts like that, especially since those kids lost everything, so it's not like they'll get duplicates to complain about.

What do you guys think? Who's giving Star Wars this holiday?

And what would make good SW gifts?

Tycho
11-17-2003, 01:51 AM
I wished I had a "Not Sure" option in the poll, but on the new forums system, I'm not able to re-edit poll options after I've posted them.

dr_evazan22
11-17-2003, 10:05 AM
Close it and start over.

I think it will be a busy Holiday season, maybe not for Sw toys specifically though. Although SW does have the CW goingtfor it, amybe that will help get new or younger collectors interested.

But I work for UPS and the volume has already picked up more then it was at this time last year. It's possible that things have been so bleak for so long that people may be ready to spend, if only as an escape.

bobafrett
11-17-2003, 12:22 PM
I will probably only buy Star Wars items for myself. I do have Star Wars collecting friends, but my budget doesn't have enough money to buy them all gifts. I'll be lucky just to get my son a few gifts.

James Boba Fettfield
11-17-2003, 12:30 PM
My friends and I don't really do the gift thing for the holidays. So no, I won't be giving Star Wars gifts....unless you count playing Rebel Strike co-op with a brother and friends, then yes, I will be "giving" a gift of Star Wars.

Tycho
11-17-2003, 12:33 PM
This poll can stay open. JediTricks as the SuperMod can edit the options and add a "Don't know yet" choice.

El Chuxter
11-17-2003, 12:46 PM
I've already picked up a few figures to give to charities, and I plan to get my best bud's son this animated-style Boba Fett shirt I saw a couple of weeks ago at Disneyland, so I'm pretty much committed to yes.

2-1B
11-17-2003, 01:13 PM
Like Chux, I will also be giving some figures to anonymous recipients (Toys for Tots).

Also, I am giving 2 Holiday Yodas as gifts this year as well as Star Wars Legos. :)

JediTricks
11-17-2003, 09:42 PM
I wished I had a "Not Sure" option in the poll, but on the new forums system, I'm not able to re-edit poll options after I've posted them.Added.

As much as I'd like to, nothing this year in SW merchandise really seems like stuff I'd give my friends & family. The idea about those KB 4packs for donations is a good idea though, and I saw one the other day with gold-border figs in it.

Turbowars
11-17-2003, 09:56 PM
No, I'm the only SW geek in the family and No, I wont give crappy secound had 4 packs to needy kids. There's better stuff to give.:)

Jaff
11-17-2003, 10:16 PM
I have no one who I can buy sw stuff for. I'm just trying to convince my family to buy more SW stuff for me!

Exhaust Port
11-17-2003, 10:23 PM
I won't be giving any SW gifts but I'll have a few items on my Santa List that I hope to get. :D

jedihunter25
11-17-2003, 11:20 PM
I'll get my little niece and nefew lightsabers for Christmas. And on Christmas day I'll watch them beat the living hell out of each other with them.

plasticfetish
11-18-2003, 02:48 AM
Oh yeah.

I buy things on clearance and squirrel them away for my son. I picked up a few things ages ago that I still haven't given him yet ... Geonosian Battle Arena, Acklay. The other day he says ... "You know, I'd really like an X-wing and a Darth Vader TIE Fighter, big enough to put these figures in ... do they make that?" So yeah, there will be some Star Wars given this holiday season.

jedi master sal
11-18-2003, 09:12 AM
I most definitely will be giving SW toys this year.

In my local Fanforce (TF.N city fan groups) we have a secret Santa, so there's one. Along with that, I'll donate to Childrens's Hospital, Toys for Tots, United Way toy drive at work, and a local shelter. Don't nock those 4 packs as giveaways. Unfortunately there are alot of kids who don't get ANYthing at all for Christmas or much else during the rest of the year. Last year I gave away about 20 figures, 3 Lego sets a football and a basketball. Yes, I don't have kids so for me it's easy and I thinkfully have the budget for this. But even if you don't have as big a budget, it's not the amount but the heart you put into giving.

Even if you only have enough for one figure...
Even if you just drop it off at a drop box...
Even if you don't have any idea who it goes too...

It's the unselfish thought of giving that counts.

Did I want to see the smile on the faces of the kids who got the gifts I gave, sure. Did it matter if I saw they're faces or not, no. Just knowing that some kid probably smiled or cheered or even cried a tear of joy at receiveing a toy was enough.

You don't have to give until it hurts, you should give until it feels good... If that's only one gift so be it, that's at least one more kid who's going to get something that they otherwise might not have gotten.

So, I urge all of you, even those with kids to give, even if it's just one thing.
Put yourself in they're position. Your poor, you don't know if you'll have food for Christmas or if "Santa" will come, you may just be thankful to have one parent in your life and you live in a house in deplorable conditions. All of the sudden the local food bank gives you food for the holidays and then you find a toy under the modest Christmas tree that your mom had to work too hard for. That toy came from a donor, but you don't know that, you think it's Santa or better yet your mom. Does it matter what it is, maybe, but to those who are truly poor, trust me I KNOW, it's the fact that SOMETHING is there for YOU.

Have I described any of you in the previous paragraph? I did myself and now that I'm in a position to give back I do. So all I'm asking is that you give up a very small amount of money for one thing that can truly brighten up one child's ENTIRE Christmas.

Thank You.

Here are a list of suggestions for SW related items:

Figures-no matter what form whether the be from a four pack at KB's or a Minty fresh one from TRU.

Puzzles-yes it's not a toy they can play with alot, but it get's their mind working and they may ask a parent for help in which case gets the family involved and that CAN'T be bad.

Games-same thing, they need either a sibling or a parent to play with which in the long run is more needed. The amount of interaction a person has with their family in their formative years greatly impacts upon the person they may become.

Legos-much like puzzles but better because they are a toy as well as a puzzle.

12 in figures-You might want to stick with human characters on this one. If it's given to a boy and his sister has Barbie's then they can play together. Yeahm it doenst seem normal but when you are poor things are much differnet than the way the rest of society interacts. Besides this can help to bond a brother and sister together which becomes more important later in life.

Bed Sheets-if you can find them. Some kids don't have decent bedding and giving them something that can keep them warm at night AND have something fun printed on them is a special gift. Even if that kid didn't like SW before, they may grow to apperciate it because of the psychological impact. This SW bedsheet kept them warm and made them feel a little more secure or safe at night, hence they may show an interest in the movies later.

Okay that enough from me.

I just hope that every gives, even if it's not SW, to needy kids. The life you touch could be dramatically impacted.

May the Force AND the spirit of giving be with you.
-Sal

kool-aid killer
11-18-2003, 09:46 AM
Like others have already posted if anybody gets a Star Wars toy from me it will be toys for tots. Im the only person i know who collects them. I just gave my list of what i wanted (yes i still make lists) to my mother and i didnt have any Star Wars figures on that. Its hard for my family to pick me up any figures because they dont know what i have and dont.

JediTricks
11-18-2003, 06:54 PM
Just a little advice I've been giving the past few years about donating SW figures to childrens' charities... you may want to consider lightly mangling the card or bubble in order to shoo away any unscrupulous collectors who might see the donation and take it for themselves.

LusiferSam
11-19-2003, 12:11 AM
If I buy any SW gives this holiday they'll be for me. I'm the only SW fan (or collector) in my family and of the people who I give gifts to. So for me there's no point to it. Now I might send a SW card, but that's a different story.

2-1B
11-19-2003, 03:13 AM
No, I wont give crappy secound had 4 packs to needy kids. There's better stuff to give.:)

I don't know about you, but I paid $5 each for some of those figures when they first came out. I think some of them are crappy but not all of them.

Just a little advice I've been giving the past few years about donating SW figures to childrens' charities... you may want to consider lightly mangling the card or bubble in order to shoo away any unscrupulous collectors who might see the donation and take it for themselves.

Sound advice, JT. I did that last year, too. Nothing that a kid would notice or care about, but some definite card creasing and buble dingin was in order. :)

OC47150
11-19-2003, 07:51 AM
My five-year-old niece is a SW fan. When I babysit, we play SW (changed a little bit to encompass a five-year-old's world).

I have given her the Playskool sets in the past for Christmas and her birthday (they are a hit with the kids!!). She has asked for some figures (I've given her loose figures) that she doesn't have, so I will be (hopefully!) tracking them down for her.

skeeziks22
11-19-2003, 12:37 PM
I gave a friend a custom Santa Yoda a few years ago... and now that there is an official Hasbro version he'll get one of those too (I voted "unsure" because these aren't cheap). The Hallmark ornaments are good gifts too. Especially when they come from a true collector to someone who knows that about you. It makes my parents think about me everytime they see (and hear) Darth Vader hanging on their tree.

I wish they made adult sized underclothes... like the old under-roos, but adult sized. I have been wanting to get my girlfriend some SW underwear or pajamas (she wouldn't wear a SW t-shirt outside), but haven't seen anything like that out. How cool would flannel pajamas with different characters all over it be... or to see your gal pal sporting rebel logos where only you would see it... or on swim wear, that'd be good too.

OC47150
11-19-2003, 12:40 PM
Never thought about the Hallmark ornaments! There are other nice SW ornaments on the market. There is a line of pewter (about six or so) and the glass Christopher Radko ornaments (about seven). The Radko ornamens are harder to find since they've been out for a while.

skeeziks22
11-19-2003, 01:06 PM
It's really cold up here (-18 F when I woke up this morning) so some good adult gloves, hats and scarves would also be great.

As for action figures... maybe some going to toys for tots... but toy purchases will mostly be for me.

R3PO
11-21-2003, 07:20 AM
I think that Hasbro really needs to pick up the ball,(They've only had 10 years to get it right!)Offer toys for purchase online, directly from the manufaqcturer!
So many companies today offer multiple product lines online, Why not Hasbro?
To Answer the question however, I will be buying for other collectors, and yes a few kids I know. This would be facilitated in a much easier fashion if I could buy
exactly what I want with one click!!
All I want for Christmas is a direct online ordering system from Hasbro...
But judging from the online auctions, (another cluster f**K)
I may have to wait another ten years.
-R3PO

Now's the season for giving. Meanwhile business reports I've read say retail sales have been slow, Wal-Mart's growth's failed to meet forecasts, the economy may be recovering, but it's gaining momentum at a very unimpressive rate.

How does that affect us, Star Wars collectors who rabidly pursue toy manufacturer items for ourselves?

Well, most completists here know what they'll be shopping for, and pickers-n-choosers like myself will be doing are thing, some army-building or whatnot.

But will any of you be purchasing Star Wars items as gifts for other people?

I've been considering looking for sales and taking advantage of them to offer toys to San Diego's younger fire victims.

The KB Toys Value Packs might work real nicely for gifts like that, especially since those kids lost everything, so it's not like they'll get duplicates to complain about.

What do you guys think? Who's giving Star Wars this holiday?

And what would make good SW gifts?
[FONT=Arial Narrow]

plasticfetish
11-21-2003, 02:42 PM
So many companies today offer multiple product lines online, Why not Hasbro?
Just out of curiosity and as a point of reference, which toy manufacturing company offers product for sale online?

Darth Jax
11-21-2003, 10:13 PM
i'll be giving playskool sets to my young nephew. i have some other friends with little ones still too small for the playskool sets, but i've already bought them for future gifts.

i'll help clear some of the pegwarmers as donations for toys for tots.

jjreason
11-23-2003, 03:03 AM
Im giving one Star Wars gift this year - a Boba Fett "Pit of Carkoon" figure to Mabudon from these boards. Bummer he already knows it's coming! :D

DarthBrandon
11-23-2003, 07:47 AM
I'm giving one gift this year and to whom is a secret. i can't spill the beans just yet folks. :D

Kidhuman
11-25-2003, 12:22 AM
Actually I voted for no, but I am giving my stepson 4 figures. So can someone change my vote from no to yes

Masterdorkboy
12-16-2003, 10:11 AM
I'll be handing out a few Holiday Yoda's, and getting my niece those Playskool Star Wars toys.