PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

scruffziller
11-17-2003, 12:38 PM
The trailer is out!!

I didn't know that this movie would be out this soon in June of 2004.
I really like the spine bone candles.:D

http://azkaban.warnerbros.com/

El Chuxter
11-17-2003, 12:43 PM
Wow, Sirius looks wacked out! He almost looks like a clip from a Metallica video. Awesome, awesome.

Dr Zoltar
11-17-2003, 02:17 PM
Can't wait for this to be released. So far it looks better than the first two.

Pendo
11-17-2003, 04:00 PM
Really enjoyed the previous two films, so am probably really gonna enjoy this one :). Will this be the gang's last Potter film before they re-cast, or are they doing another?

PENDO!

El Chuxter
11-17-2003, 04:03 PM
I believe I saw on CNN's ticker that Daniel Radcliffe, at least, had signed for Goblet of Fire.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-17-2003, 04:03 PM
pendo- from what i've read, i believe that the core group, Daniel, Emma and Rupert have signed onto "Goblet of fire" but i don't know about the rest of them. Personally, i think they should stick with it until the end; i mean, they're already identified with these characters, so why mess it up? If they're worried about being type casted or whatever, it's a tad too late for that. :crazed:

hango fett
11-17-2003, 09:05 PM
looks like another marvelous movie. too long a wait though...and i didn't think sirius had a beard...not from the illustrations anyway. but look at harry's scar. it's to the right of the middle of his forhead. not the middle...plus, i thought that aunt marge inflated inside, not outside...oy...so many little things they need to work on...
h

JediTricks
11-17-2003, 10:09 PM
JUNE?!? What happened to every winter like the first 2? I guess that was expecting too much, but that was the best way to keep the kids aging at the right speed.

jjreason
11-17-2003, 11:16 PM
I thought it would be this Christmas, too. By the time Phoenix hits, the kids'll be smoking, drinking and fooling around behind the scenes. Too weird.

Exhaust Port
11-17-2003, 11:26 PM
Soon after the release of the last movie they announced that POA wouldn't follow as a December release. I know they gave a reason why there was a delay but I don't remember what it was. I wonder if there is any chance that they could get back on the December release schedule.

jjreason
11-18-2003, 02:11 AM
Reading that post made me half-remember something about a Gary Oldman scheduling conflict or something. I'd forgotten about that. Maybe they should do the next two simultaneously to avoid having the kids grow out of the roles. I don't think it would be impossible, they could alter their appearances a little with haircuts, etc. to make it believable. I'd prefer to have the same cast work through the stories, but the books don't even seem to be drawing to a close very rapidly. Aren't there supposed to be at least 2 more?

scruffziller
11-18-2003, 05:43 AM
Soon after the release of the last movie they announced that POA wouldn't follow as a December release. I know they gave a reason why there was a delay but I don't remember what it was. I wonder if there is any chance that they could get back on the December release schedule.
I heard it was due to child labor laws.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-18-2003, 05:48 PM
I heard it was due to child labor laws.

Child labor laws for a British production? Last I heard they still allowed children to work in the coal mines. ;) j/k

I don't think releasing one a year or year+1/2 would be a problem with the child actors aging. They're supposed to get older as the series goes on. The problem is with the older actors, i.e., Richard Harris. I hope Maggie Smith will be able to hang on for at least one more flick.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-18-2003, 06:11 PM
I heard it was due to the special effects, something along the lines of some were disappointed with how they looked, so they're using taking their time on this one and making the CGI/other effects look tip top.

Yeah, British children labor laws are pretty strict too; if i remember correctly, I know that was a problem filming the first one. :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-10-2004, 05:09 PM
After watching the preview online and seeing the scenes on ABC, I'm getting really excited for this. It's less than a month away! The series really starts getting good at POA (nothing against the first two, though). I'm kind of worried, though, that the new director will mess it up too much. The shrunken head in the Knight Bus could go either way, I suppose, but he doesn't need to be there.

Anyway, everything else looks good.

"EXPECTO PATRONUM!"

Pendo
05-10-2004, 05:21 PM
I've been looking forward to this, and the previews have been excellent :D. It looks really scary too :eek:!

PENDO!

evenflow
05-11-2004, 08:25 AM
I have not gone to see eithe rof the first two movie sint he theater, but I did enjoy them. I think I will go see this one in the movies. I had not heard about the re-casting. Honestly, if they do, that pretty much sucks. I hate when they cast other actors to play parts that were started by others. I don't see why they wouldn't wan tto continue.

Pendo
05-11-2004, 11:58 AM
I hate when they cast other actors to play parts that were started by others. I don't see why they wouldn't wan tto continue.It sometimes works, like in the case of James Bond, but IMO recasting should only be done if the character cannot be written out of the story.

I really couldn't see Alec Guinness reprising his role of Obi-Wan for the prequels :rolleyes:, or Jake Lloyd playing the older Anakin (although he may nearly be old enough now...).

A lot of the time the actors don't want to continue because they don't like the story or then don't think it'll be a success. Sometimes they want more money, sometimes they have other moves and they can't free up their schedule, and maybe they don't like the director.

Sometimes it's not because the actor doesn't want to continue, but because the film makers don't want th actor back (in the case of Edwarf Furlong for Terminator 3)

PENDO!

Dr Zoltar
05-11-2004, 01:00 PM
I can't wait for this movie to come out! Some of my co-workers and I are going to schedule a "meeting" so we can catch this opening day. It's a blast to be in a theater with kids who want to be there. They are so much better behaved.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
05-11-2004, 05:57 PM
Casting shouldn't be an issue, at least not age. These characters don't remain the same age as each year progresses, so the actors should too (like they're doing). The only re-cast so far is of Dumbledore, but that's cause the guy died.

evenflow
05-12-2004, 08:10 AM
It sometimes works, like in the case of James Bond, but IMO recasting should only be done if the character cannot be written out of the story.

I really couldn't see Alec Guinness reprising his role of Obi-Wan for the prequels :rolleyes:, or Jake Lloyd playing the older Anakin (although he may nearly be old enough now...).

A lot of the time the actors don't want to continue because they don't like the story or then don't think it'll be a success. Sometimes they want more money, sometimes they have other moves and they can't free up their schedule, and maybe they don't like the director.

Sometimes it's not because the actor doesn't want to continue, but because the film makers don't want th actor back (in the case of Edwarf Furlong for Terminator 3)

PENDO!

Yeah Alec Guiness wouldn't work but thats a whole different situation. These kids are getting older in real life as they are in the stories. Its different.

El Chuxter
05-12-2004, 12:10 PM
I'm really liking everything I've seen, though I'm a tad worried that this will be the shortest of the three so far. (Wasn't the original plan to do this and subsequent chapters as a 2-parter, like Kill Bill?)

The Dementors look cool. I think they slightly changed their design, since I recall them as being described exactly the way the Ringwraiths look in the LOTR movies. I guess they had to make some cosmetic changes on them, but I ain't gonna complain. Those guys definitely have :beard:s on their faces under them hoods.

jjreason
05-12-2004, 02:52 PM
They're creepy, but not as creepy as the poopiness of their action figure counterparts. I'm thinking this will be by far the scariest of the 3 movies (to date) - the series takes a dark turn during Azkaban, and they only get darker as time goes on. It has felt like a long break since the last one, I'm really looking forward to seeing Azkaban in the theatre.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-04-2004, 01:14 PM
Today's the day! I'm going to see it tonight at 6:15. Has anyone here seen it yet? To tide myself over I've been playing the POA video game a lot, which I got yesterday due to a preorder. It's very nice, although they should have at least one Quidditch match (and they still might, but I doubt it). Compared to the PSone versions of the first two which I've played, this new one is miles ahead.

Hasbro'sBountyHunter
06-04-2004, 04:48 PM
I just came back from seeing it and I'm impressed at Alfonso Cuarón's approach to the film. :) Even though there was nothing after the credits, I really liked how the credits themselves weren't just words scrolling on a black screen.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
06-05-2004, 12:13 PM
Oh man, I saw it last night and it was great! It was actually really faithful to the book, and a lot of dialogue was identical to the book, which was great. I really liked this one's music, it sounded more magical and rennaissance-y, and the choir part was cool. And when Lupin put on the old music during the Boggart scene. The transition scenes were nice too, but what was Pigwidgeon doing, crashing into the Whomping Willow or what? The effects were the best out of all three, Buckbeak really looked real, so did the dog. The werewolf's design was lame, he lookes like a giant monkey!

It was weird sometimes though, how Hagrid's hut and the Whomping Willow were in different places than in the others. And the Grim actually appearing in the clouds instead of Sirius in the stands was odd. One part I thought was crap was how they didn't even explain Moony, Wormatil, Padfoot and Prongs, or why Harry's Patronus was a stag! I mean it is okay without that stuff but it's pretty important. Overall, though, it was awesome.

Dr Zoltar
06-05-2004, 12:44 PM
I saw this yesterday as well. The mood and setting of Hogwartz was great. Much better than the other films. I really liked the fact that Hagrid's Hut and the Whomping Willow were further away from the school because it felt less like they were just crammed in there. The new actors where perfect. I'm a fan of Dawn French so her casting as the new Fat Lady was great.

One thing though, if you haven't read the book, you're going to miss things. Not explaining the creators of the map, the students seeing Lupin drink a potion that Snape gave him, why the Whomping Willow was planted where it was, or why Harry's father et al. became animagi. The ending seemed abrubt too. I would have loved to see a final scene of Harry giving the note from Black to Mr. Dursley. It so much explains their change from annoyance of Harry to down right fear of him in the final book.

But that being said, I thought the movie was great fun, and would see it again.

Exhaust Port
06-05-2004, 07:48 PM
I just returned from see the movie and I can say that I was really entertained! I can't wait for this on DVD so I can watch it again and again. I'm not a reader of the books so I'm sure I missed things in my first viewing. Even not knowing the original story I could tell that corners were cut as some subplots weren't explored too deeply. No matter, still an outstanding movie.

The only thing that kind of creeped me out was the very last image of the movie. Ugh. Having Harry's face frozen across the screen was bizarre.

scruffziller
06-06-2004, 04:41 PM
I really liked their portrayal of time travel. A slightly unique way that time travel is used in stories that you really don't ever see. The timetravel is actually part of the time line rather than actually changing anything. In other stories there seems to always be something different than the subsequent point of view.

Exhaust Port
06-06-2004, 07:53 PM
I agree Scruff. The time loop plot was very well done.

Something else that struck me (or didn't) was how good the special effects were. I know that there aren't really any clobber trees so I'm sure that it's CG, he same goes for the mix of creatures and scenery too. Even though I found myself reminding myself that everything of those sorts that I saw was CG. The previous HP installments had some outstanding CG effects as well but this time I was less apt to notice. Part of it could have been the great story that kept my mind busy but I still think that the effects have reached a new level.

scruffziller
06-07-2004, 08:09 AM
Something else that struck me (or didn't) was how good the special effects were. I know that there aren't really any clobber trees so I'm sure that it's CG, he same goes for the mix of creatures and scenery too. Even though I found myself reminding myself that everything of those sorts that I saw was CG. The previous HP installments had some outstanding CG effects as well but this time I was less apt to notice. Part of it could have been the great story that kept my mind busy but I still think that the effects have reached a new level.
Wow thnx for pointing that out EP.:) I experienced the same.
I think why Sorcerer's Stone will always be my favorite was because it was THE first. As you watch the other movies, the newness and wonder of the CGI creations seem to lose their potency from the first experience and become more of a standard expectation as is with alot of things. When I watched TSS my eyes were adazzle with ooooooooooooooos and awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwws. I think the first movie was more focused on with the visuals to establish the grounds and the ones after give more focus to the story.

Jayspawn
06-07-2004, 11:01 PM
I saw it 2 nights ago, I thought it was fantastic! The directing was excellent for the new director. The acting by the 3 kids was good as usual -they really know hw to play their characters. Not as big of a roe for Maggie Smith but good none the less. Michael Gambon was great as Dumbledore a nice replacement for Richard Harris. He wasnt too big in the movie but Gary Oldman was good -great character actor. And of course my favorite- Alan Rickman! I loved his bigger role, my favorite part was when Snape showed up at the Skreiking Shack. Great showdown! I cant wait to see him in the next one I certainly hope he aggrees to a 4th film.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
06-08-2004, 12:05 AM
I saw this today and i LOVED it. I thought it was MUCH better than the first two films and while i slightly agree with ya Scruff about losing some of the Oooooooooooo's and awwwwwwws, i thought that the CGI was done MUCH better in this one. It was awesome how Buckbeat was made and how he interacted with the environment. It was barely hard to see he was CGI whereas the mountain troll was obviously CGI. Still, a fantastic film i can't wait to see many more times.

Jayspawn- Yeah, Rickman is doing the 4th film, "Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire." It started filming in March and here a small cast list from IMDB.com:

Daniel Radcliffe .... Harry Potter
Emma Watson .... Hermione Granger
Rupert Grint .... Ron Weasley
rest of cast listed alphabetically
Robbie Coltrane .... Rubeus Hagrid
Frances de la Tour .... Madame Maxime
Michael Gambon .... Albus Dumbledore
Brendan Gleeson .... Mad-Eye Moody
Jason Isaacs .... Lucius Malfoy
Alan Rickman .... Professor Serveus Snape
Maggie Smith .... Professor Minerva McGonagall

I personally can't wait to see Brendan Gleeson as Mad-Eye Moody. That is PERFECT casting to me. Cheers!! :D

aceguide
06-10-2004, 08:25 AM
HP3 = Great Movie

The first two were fine in my opinion, but this one rocks. I think it's a combination of a more mature group of actors and a much better director.

I felt that for the first time they were able to trim the book into a good screenplay. Some key points were lost along the way (my major beef is that the whole pronger, padfoot et al was not explained, nor was it connected to the patronus) but it made for a better movie.

I plan on seeing it again, but all-in-all give it a huge thumbs up!

El Chuxter
06-10-2004, 02:28 PM
I really liked this one's music, it sounded more magical and rennaissance-y, and the choir part was cool. And when Lupin put on the old music during the Boggart scene.

This may be premature, as I won't see the film until this weekend (don't worry about spoiling me, though--I've read all the books), but I've had the CD for a few weeks and think it's the best of the HP scores so far. Sometimes it's very ESB-esque, and sometimes not. "The Knight Bus" reminds me of the Cantina Band a little, and I love "Double Trouble." (I don't know how he decided to have kids singing a scene from MacBeth over rennaisance-style music, but it was genius!)

There's also a gorgeous, rather melancholy theme that plays a few times near the end that I'm fairly certain is Sirius Black's theme (once the audience learns he's a really super guy). It's got to be one of my favorite Williams motifs ever.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
09-14-2004, 09:16 PM
http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B00005JMAH.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Cover art!! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-15-2004, 05:17 PM
Hey, that cover art is sweet! I'm glad they're not just using the "Something Wicked This Way Comes" poster as the cover, since they used the posters for the other films. I didn't like the just plain faces, so this one is cool.

November 23, eh? Nice to know.

Mr. JabbaJohnL
09-19-2004, 03:36 PM
When looking at that again, I noticed that it isn't the same package design of the first two films. Where there's a case on the package, with a fold-out container thing. I liked that, so maybe this is just publicity stuff?

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-26-2004, 11:52 AM
I got the DVD Tuesday and watched the film last night. Still great, of course. The shrunken head and other changes didn't bug me as much this time.

What did bug me, though, is the lack of the teaser trailer. They give us the trailers for the other two on this disc as well as on their own DVDs, but they can't give us the teaser for POA! What the hell? It also seemed like they messed with the trailer for POA, something about the words and the smoke seemed off, but maybe my memory's playing tricks. Was the SS trailer the teaser or the theatrical? I thought the teaser said "SOON" but the other said "NOVEMBER 16". Ah well, no big deal.

Ji'dai
11-26-2004, 01:13 PM
I was surprised to find this DVD at the Library Wednesday and picked it up to keep the kids occupied on Thanksgiving. My cousin was a little disappointed (aw, widescreen!) but that was my choice - the library had both screen formats - I just can't watch fool-screen.

I thought it was a really entertaining film, better than the second one. I've never read the books, but I'm glad every new professor that JKR introduces doesn't turn out to be the villian. That's kinda like the formulaic new-guy-on-Star-Trek-that-always-dies role. I agree with many of you, the special effects were impressive. There was a lot going on in the back ground that needs more than one viewing in order to catch it all.

I know the last actor that played Dumbledore passed away, but his replacement didn't quite look the same in costume. I kept being reminded of Michael Gambon's role in Open Range - expecting him to curse the 'free-grazers' in an Irish brogue :D

I hope the principal actors stick with the franchise till the end. It would hard to imagine anyone else as Harry, Ron, or Hermione.

Exhaust Port
11-26-2004, 07:11 PM
I struck out trying to buy this disc. I went on Wednesday as I couldn't hit the stores until then and they were sold out everywhere. Man, this is the first time that I've come across this for any DVD. I'm sure another round of shipments will hit soon if not today but I'm not one of those that goes out right after Thanksgiving so I'll wait until next week.