PDA

View Full Version : Anakin Bringing 'Balance' to the Force

Beast
11-18-2003, 12:19 PM
Saw this over at 'TheForce.Net', and it seems to be a nice lil plot point that will connect with Vader killing Emperor Palpatine/Darth Sidious in ROTJ. I hope it's in the movie, as it's really an intriguing plot point to drop in E3. And then have it play out in E6. :)

EP3: SPY REPORT: Balance to the Force
Tue, Nov 18, 03 12:54:46 AM EST

TFN reader Darth Insidious got some "friend of a friend" info that fits into the rumor category of Episode III information. The info deals with Yoda and a discovery he makes during the film. Read at your own risk and consider the source:

You heard the spoiler that Yoda discovers that if you kill the master the apprentice will fall, right? It isn't that whenever you kill a master the apprentice dies no matter what. Rather what Yoda learns on Kashykk, apparently, is that the prophecy states that the Dark Lord of the Sith will be defeated by the Chosen One, and when he is defeated his apprentice too shall fall.

Of course this is exactly what happens. Vader kills Sidious, but in so doing is also killed, thus bringing balance to the force.

We like the way this fits, big time. It connects the final prequel in a foreshadowing way to the Classic Trilogy. Hopefully it is accurate.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
11-18-2003, 12:37 PM
Convenient how those prophesies aren't too specific about the particulars are they?

Prophesy Addendum

The Dark Lord of the sith will be destoyed by the chosen one after he falls to the dark side himself, kills millions, chokes one incompetent officer after another, makes his offspring a lefty in a lightsaber duel and eventually is defeated by said offspring and he chucks the afore-mentioned Dark Lord into a huge railing-deficient shaft.

Beast
11-18-2003, 12:43 PM
Well, it's just like prophecies in real religion. Nice and vague and open to interpretation. I really would like to see what the actual prophecy says. Maybe Yoda will actually quote it, in E3 as part of this scene. So far all we know is the prophecy says that the 'Chosen one will bring balance to the force'. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
11-18-2003, 12:55 PM
He will bring balance to the force.

He will whittle down the numbers of the Jedi so that there are the same amount of Jedi and Sith at the same time. :D

Beast
11-18-2003, 12:58 PM
Lucas already said that the 'Balance' has nothing to do with the number of Jedi there are. It has to do with Palpatine's use of the force for evil. He's like a cancer on the force, using it for his own selfish purposes. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

billfremore
11-18-2003, 01:25 PM
But it does raise the question of how exactly balance is brought to the force.

Doesn't it seem the force is a little heavy on the light side before Anakin starts "balancing" things?

To me it seemed that Anakin helped bring about the downfall, and might I say humbling of the arrogant Jedi order and helping to bring the dark side to power.

It's a cycle, darkside up, lightside down and vice versa

Croaker
11-30-2003, 10:20 PM
I agree with Billfremore.

That's kind of been my interpretation since hearing the whole balance of the force prophecy.
At the start of ANH there are 2 sith and 2 jedi, nice and balanced.

Plus on the mythic side of things there is no good without evil, so wiping out all evil is not 'balancing' anything.

Darth Spectre
12-08-2003, 01:30 PM
The balancing might have more to with how the Force is used, or how the users see it and themselves. It is pretty clear that the Jedi are almost as arrogant and blinded in their own abilities as is Sidious. This lack of vision is what enables the Jedi to fall, and eventually, for the Sith to fall as well.

scruffziller
12-08-2003, 09:03 PM
He will bring balance to the force.

He will whittle down the numbers of the Jedi so that there are the same amount of Jedi and Sith at the same time. :D
EXACTLY.......
Suprised that the Jedi Council didn't realize this. Maybe Yoda did and didn't wan't to reveal it. After all The Jedi's ability to use the force had dwindled.

Beast
12-08-2003, 09:14 PM
Lucas and McCallum have both said time and again, that it's not the number of the Jedi that have anything to do with balancing the force. In my opinion, the Jedi's live in harmony with the force. Using it for knowledge and defense, and not for personal power. Sidious/Palpatine is like a black spot or cancer on the force, he's using the force for his own personal power. Corrupting the force, and throwing it out of whack. He doesn't respect the force, he just wants power and will do whatever it takes to achieve it. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-08-2003, 10:22 PM
I agree with everything you said JJB except the point about Sidious not respecting the force. I think he does. I think he greatly respects the power of the Dark Side but he still wants its power for his own greedy aims. :)

TheDarthVader
12-10-2003, 04:24 PM
I agree with I am Jabba the Hutt who just agreed with JJB except for the respect thing. I think Sidious does repsect the force...he just abuses it. You can respect something and abuse it at the same time. ;)

Darth Spectre
12-10-2003, 04:37 PM
I think Sidious respects the Dark Side of the Force only. So, he isn't really abusing that side of the Force since he is using the power and knowledge of it the way it should be used. But in the big picture, as far as balance goes, yes he abusing the force by not seeing the benefits or strengths of the other side. Or something like that...LOL

Pendo
01-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Wasn't sure where to put this, so I've poped it in here :).

The official site has revealed what "balance to the force" really means: Darth Vader makes the free throw, dropping Emperor Palpatine, and brings balance to the Force.

So I guess that settles it, balance to the force does not mean 2 Jedi and 2 Sith, it means the destruction of Palpatine :D.

PENDO!

Darth Spectre
01-29-2004, 02:28 PM
Yes and no, I think. That is how balance is achieved yes, but it doesn't help us all that much to understand the WHY of the balancing. Unless it relates to Anakin being crucial in ending the corruptness of the Jedi Order as a whole (leaving only the purest, Obi-Wan & Yoda) and then ending the corruptness of the Sith by finishing off Palpatine.

DarkArtist
02-02-2004, 10:06 PM
I was always under the impression that Luke and Leia are the factor that brings balance to the force. Since at the end of Jedi Luke uses the dark side to defeat Vader, "Your Hate Has Made You Powerful." but when taunted by the Emperor, Luke resists the temptation to join the Emperor and destroy Vader. Then since Anakin saves Luke from the Emperor in essence Luke is the one who defeats the dark side by killing the apprentice Darth Vader and redeeming Anakin Skywalker. Plus also at the end of Jedi Anakin tells Luke that he was right all along and that Anakin was still alive in the hollow shell that would become Darth Vader. :)
In the Phantom Menace, Yoda says that always two there are, so if one is destroyed then the balance is restored. :)

Darth Spectre
02-03-2004, 10:44 AM
I was always under the impression that Luke and Leia are the factor that brings balance to the force. Since at the end of Jedi Luke uses the dark side to defeat Vader, "Your Hate Has Made You Powerful." but when taunted by the Emperor, Luke resists the temptation to join the Emperor and destroy Vader. Then since Anakin saves Luke from the Emperor in essence Luke is the one who defeats the dark side by killing the apprentice Darth Vader and redeeming Anakin Skywalker. Plus also at the end of Jedi Anakin tells Luke that he was right all along and that Anakin was still alive in the hollow shell that would become Darth Vader. :)
In the Phantom Menace, Yoda says that always two there are, so if one is destroyed then the balance is restored. :)

Anakin might bring balance THROUGH his children partially, but he is the chosen one, not Luke (or Leia). And one of the Sith being destroyed can't bring the Force into balance, or else the balance would have been restored with the death of Darth Maul then.