PDA

View Full Version : Should you be able to use Cell Phones while driving?

Tycho
11-18-2003, 02:45 PM
Well, this topic is about whether you should be able to use Cell Phones while driving.

I'm not sure I've taken a position on this yet.

I do use mine, and I'd probably use mine out of habit no matter where the law stands.

A cop has to see you to get a ticket, were it made to be against the law.

Hands free devices, voice activated systems, and a lot of other options make it possible for the issue to be more clouded.

Anyway, what do you think.

El Chuxter
11-18-2003, 03:01 PM
I'm guilty of talking on mine when I'm driving, but I take extra care when I'm doing so. I think most people who are going to be hazards when on a cell phone would be dangerous when eating, drinking, talking, or whatever else in the car. It's the distracted driver, not the distraction that's the real danger.

Exhaust Port
11-18-2003, 03:36 PM
Years ago when I drove buses for a living I had my first exposure to driving and talking. The radios that the vehicles were equiped with used a conventional handset that you would see with your standard home phone. As you drove you frequently had to answer radio calls or make some using the radio/phone. It was quite alarming how much you would miss as you talked, no matter how short the conversation. After hanging up I would not be able to recall the last few city blocks. Did I pass a stop? Did I run a red light? Did I cut someone off?

Well after my paranoia grew I did my best to only talk while stopped or only on deserted roads with requiring no navigation and with no, or very little traffic.

Forward 5 years now and everyone has cell phones and I'm trying to follow the same rules. I try to only talk while sitting still or while on empty high volume roads (ie turnpikes or interstates). The cell phone explosion happened after I left my bus driving company but I know of at least one large accident there that had be caused by the driver being distracted by a cell phone conversation.

I think we've all been cut off by a cell phone talker or watched a driver appear to be drunk as they wander across lanes of traffic or accelerate/decelerate haphazardly but to only find out that they are talking on a cell phone.

Talking while driving is a known distraction that has caused problems in the past and will only get worse as more and more people get them. It's strange that when you talk to someone in your car you don't experience the same level of distraction as talking on a cell phone. It must me something about concentrating on listening through a small speaker and talking into a microphone.

I do admit to breaking my own rules and answering a call at times when I should probably concentrate on the road ahead. I'm not proud of it but I do try to not talk while driving. I've tried headsets while driving without much luck. I think it was less distracting but the quality really suffered. The other person had to constantly ask me to repeat myself or speak more clearly. Perhaps as technology improves drivers can drop the need to hold a phone and do more hands off.

Legally I don't want to see it be made illegal to talk while driving. I think there are some situations that are relatively safe to talk while driving. I wouldn't mind giving police the authority to ticket those dangerous drivers that are swerving across 2 lanes as they talk. If someones cell phone talking is posing a safety risk then ticket them. But it would also require the police to issue "acceptible" car talking rules. Perhaps requiring a headset or some sort of other device.

billfremore
11-18-2003, 03:37 PM
I was as guilty as you guys for using it while driving and I found it took a great deal of concentration to do so and I always worried about how I would react if I had to brake or swerve suddenly.

Now I use my hands-free headset, I find it so much easier now. I think it's as dangerous as talking to someone in the car with you now.

That plus it looks like you're talking to yourself, I like freaking out the other drivers that way:)

EricRG
11-18-2003, 04:27 PM
You are stupid if you talk and drive using a handheld. Just plain dumb. I ride my bike an awful lot, and I can't count how many times I've been nearly hit and the person was on the damn phone. It seems once you've committed to a maneuver, it's very hard to correct that (such as stopping fast or avoiding a sudden obstacle). I've also noticed a correlation between people on phones driving large, inefficient vehicles. And it makes sense to me, because it seems that the people who do these things have a general disdain and uncaring attitude to the general population (themselves included).

In terms of the law, I think it's all or nothing. You can't have "safe situations" where you're able to use handsets because driving is an intrinsically fluid situation, changing from moment to moment, whether you are actually moving or not. You should be fully alert and prepared to react at ALL times. While they're at it, they should outlaw driving with ANY sort of distraction. And the public should be able to report offenders.

Also stupid to do while driving (that I've witnessed): eating, reading, applying makeup, changing CDs, berating your children, etc.

scruffziller
11-18-2003, 04:43 PM
I say as long as you have your headset on.

JediTricks
11-18-2003, 08:26 PM
Here in Cali, the DMV should have a special test and license for phone-qualified drivers - it would increase revenues and start weeding out the chumps who are concentrating on their call rather than their driving (hands-free or not).

Since drivers are not supposed to be driving with only 1 hand, cellphone use while driving is already disallowed technically, but I've never heard of a cop enforcing that.

bobafrett
11-18-2003, 08:43 PM
Well, seeing as I'm in my car quite a lot as I deliver pizza to make extra money, I am against driving while talking on a Cell phone. I have seen people talking, and they half stop at stop signs, don't even look to make sure the intersection is clear before driving on through. There fae remains looking straight ahead, and the only thing moving is the person lips. I would benefit from having a cell phone as there are times where I need to call the customer because they need to meet me in the lobby or they don't here me knocking. But, I would rather due without, and hopefully they will ban cell phones from being used while driving. We drove all those years before without them, why not now?

stillakid
11-19-2003, 12:12 AM
If I recall the recent study about this topic, it was actually found that more accidents are caused by people eating in their cars than anything else. In fact, I don't think that talking on the phone was any higher than #5 on the list. So if safety is really the issue, I would expect to see a ban on food consumption while in the driver's seat before any legislation passes on cel phones. But, as we all know, laws are frequently made for alterior motives, so I'm sure that we'll be able to enjoy our Taco Bell at 70mph long after the cel phones are forced into the glove compartment. :stupid:

bobafrett
11-19-2003, 12:21 AM
I did see a guy once weaving back and fourth. I thought he was drunk, but when I pulled up next to him at the light, I glanced over and noticed he was eating with his head down not looking at the light or anything. It's true, there are many distractions while driving, from kids screaming, to people putting on make up or shaving, to reaching down to change a CD or cassette. I even had my first girlfriend looking me eye to eye, while I was driving, while it was exciting, her head blocked the view of anything going on directly in front of me.

EricRG
11-19-2003, 12:30 AM
Yeah, bobafrett. That's another one. :rolleyes: Making out while driving. Pull over and do what you gotta do already. :kiss:

bobafrett
11-19-2003, 12:55 AM
Hey, she did it, I was just trying to get to the movie theatre! We didn't have cell phones then, at least not tiny affordable ones.

EricRG
11-19-2003, 01:02 AM
I know bbfret. I was just ribbing you a bit, while also noting that you brought up a good point. Sex and moving cars don't mix (unless you're in the back seat and someone else is driving, of course.) ;)

Tycho
11-19-2003, 01:49 AM
I've noticed people look at you weird if they see you sniffing a Mouse Droid while driving.

plasticfetish
11-19-2003, 02:33 AM
Maybe you could come up with a hands free headset for Mouse Droid sniffing.

Kidhuman
11-19-2003, 09:59 AM
I dont think you should be able to. It is dangerous. Somepeople cant walkand chew gum and it amazes me how they got a lisence(sp?, sorry I just got up). It should be outlawed even woth a headset.

sith_killer_99
11-19-2003, 12:26 PM
Well, I don't know about driving, but I wish a few resteraunts would ban the use of cell phones in their dining areas. I was at a resteraunt the other night and had this annoying, loud, boysterous woman talking 10 octives too loud right behind me...while eating. To make matters worse she was there with a friend who was being ignored while this woman chatted about the weather and her kids soccer game and what not.

I was sooo annoyed that I wanted to literally turn around and slap her upside the head and say "People are trying to enjoy a nice quite meal in a quite atmosphere and it's rude to ignore your friend who probably feels like a third wheel to your cell phone. So take it outside!" But then she ended her call and went about her business.

Or the annoying lady using her walkie talkie cell phone in the toy aisle the other day. There I was minding my own business, looking for new SW toys at Wal-Mart (yeah right :rolleyes: ) when all of the sudden blelelelp beep "Where are you at?" blelelelp beep "I'm in the toy section." blelelelp beep "OK, I'll meet you in houseware".

You gotta be kidding me. Are these people soo obnoxious that they really don't know that they are bothering other people.

I admit that I use my cell phone, with a hands free device, while driving. But I honestly pay much more attention to the road than anything else. In fact I probably get more distracted by talking to my wife in the car than talking on the cell phone. My hands free is an ear bud with a mic that clips to my shirt. The ear bud dosen't bother me at all, in fact it's just as confortable as my hearing aid.

Some things I never do, eat while driving, dial my cell phone while driving or trust other drivers to do the right thing.

Some people can handle driving with normal cell phones, I am not one of them, I honestly don't trust myself without a hands free device. Other people are good with a hands free device. Unfortunatly, too many people are just train wrecks waiting to happen no matter what.

The bottom line is, that if a person is soo self absorbed that they put themselves at risk, despite warning signs ie "I swerve a lot when I use my cell phone" or "I always seem to miss my exit when I am talking on the cell phone" then they will always be a danger to other drivers.

These cell phone morons are the same idiots that eat cereal while driving or put on thier make-up or some equally idiotic thing.

Darwins theory is that these people will inevitably kill themselves off. Unfortunatly they may just take a few of us with them. :Pirate:

I say they should settle for a happy medium, ban cell phone use without hands free devices, give cops the right to pull 'em over and ticket them. That will take care of the most dangerous morons and people can still use their cell phones in their cars. However, increase the penalty (heavy fines) for accidents involving cell phones with or without hands free devices. Maybe that way people will think twice about using cell phones in vehicles. And with all the extra money from the fines, California should be on top of that deficite in no time...lol

I also support a businesses right to ban cell phone use in their store/resteraunt/etc.

Exhaust Port
11-19-2003, 12:54 PM
The problem with the cell phones in society is no one has been brought up having cell phones being a part of their lives. In a matter of a few years, from the youngest teenager to the oldest retiree, everyone got cell phones. No one has the slightest idea of proper manners when using the device.

I know when it comes time for me to raise my own kids and the issue of cell phones comes up that I'll have plenty of experience with them by that time to know what's right or wrong (or polite). These loud obnoxious or inconsiderate folks never had anyone tell them what they can't or can do when it comes to cell phone use. The only way now to stop these annoying folks is to make rules/laws. They won't stop engaging in a loud conversation in the middle of the resturant unless there's a rule prohibiting it. It's like dealing with children.

sith_killer_99
11-19-2003, 01:37 PM
I disagree, cell phones may be new to society, but manners aren't. You know when you are being louder than everyone around you, if not the dirty looks should be your first clue.

I honestly believe that most, not all, but most of those people are just too self absorbed to care who they are annoying.

JediTricks
11-19-2003, 05:37 PM
Those bastages! Using a cell phone in a store, outrageous!!! People are trying to concentrate on which goods to purchase, and here comes Susy Cellphone to break the solemn serenity of the shopping experience. People like that should be chopped up into a fine paste.

;) Come ON! It's friggin' wal-mart, the place is measured in acres and has awful music piped through that's only interrupted by the crappy WMTVs above your head and someone yelling at top screaming volume into the PA about zone defenses and gobacks. :crazed:

El Chuxter
11-19-2003, 05:45 PM
I've always had a problem with the people who seem to be incapable of doing anything without a cell conversation going on, generally far louder than it needs to be. I think some people sleep with their cell phones.

Exhaust Port
11-19-2003, 10:04 PM
I disagree, cell phones may be new to society, but manners aren't.
I think it has more to do with ettiquite than manners. It's about the right place and time, not how loud you do it. A new piece of social technology is introduced requires new social procedures for using it. That comes with time as there isn't any manual that addresses that issue when you buy your first phone.

plasticfetish
11-20-2003, 03:41 AM
Well, I'd say that I agree with it being about both etiquette and manners. It should have to do with simple common sense as well, but for the most part it seems that common selfishness tends to push that aside. When it comes to driving, I don't have a problem with people using their phones, but I do have a problem with the possible negative results. Chatting on the phone and driving poorly should result in strict penalties. Drive drunk ... go to jail. Drive while talking on the phone and then cause an accident ... instant reckless driving, no matter who's at fault for the accident. You decide and you pay for your mistakes if you make them ... it's mostly about responsibility.

As far as social responsibility goes ... well, the price to pay for being loud and obnoxious in public with your cell phone, should be that you hear about it from the people around you. Here's a basic fact ... yelling into the phone will not make them hear you any better. It's not a coffee can on a string. If the person on the other end can't hear you, (and more than likely they can, and they're annoyed at how loud you're being also) then find a place to stand where you'll get better reception. Perhaps find a quiet, private place where you can hear them better. Or, OK ... stand in the middle of the grocery store shouting into your cell phone about how bad your reception is and then continue to share every boring detail of your life with everyone within 500 feet of you. (Don't be surprised if I hit you with my shopping cart. "Oops, sorry man! My bad!")

There's also the ... I'm talking on my phone while standing at the deli counter not talking to the clerk and holding up the line behind me situation. Hey, when it's time to interact with real live people who happen to be right there with you ... hang up the phone. No waving and pointing, while telling someone about what you saw on TV last night, and then getting mad at the clerk because they have no idea what you're trying to signal them to do. (Again, don't be surprised if I hit you with my shopping cart. "Oh hey, sorry! As loud as you are on that phone I don't know how I missed you.")

bobafrett
11-21-2003, 12:36 AM
Today I was at a four way stop. The guy to my right goes through the intersection, then it's my turn, but as I'm proceeding into the intersection, this idiot on his cell phone also on my right, just pulls right on after the car that had just pulled away from that same stop. I blared my horn at him, as my car nearly hit his drivers side side. He couldn't see me becuase he had his left arm holding the phone up to his ear, blocking his view. But the jerk didn't even hardly stop. I hope he got the message.

The 'Xir
11-22-2003, 06:39 PM
NO! I hate cell phones and hate when people use them while driving!!! I got rid of mine about 2 years ago now, and live just fine without it, although of late I have been debating about getting another one for my business!
About a year ago, NY State finally made it illegal to use them while you're driving(well, you have to use a hands free set that is, if your going to use it)! But, you still see some idiots who don't give a rats arse, and when you see them it just reminds me that this law must be enforced! Also, if all states don't put similar laws into effect, in about 5 years you'll start seeing things like Televisions and microwaves in front panels of cars! In my job I'm constanly driving, and although it has become a very mundane thing to do, I also have become very aware of how much attention you really need to put into driving! You're probably saying to yourselves, well yeah duh! but you probably take it for granted! I see stupid stuff happen all the time, because people just aren't paying attention! The last thing you need is someone on a cell phone or watching their latest dvd purchase!
I think cell phones are great though if used properly, all you have to do is get a hands free set or better yet, ask the person to call you back or you'll call them once you get where your going! I think they're invaluable especially if your broken down in the middle of nowhere! However, seeing little miss chatterbox talking to her girlfriends about going to the mall, just makes me want to drive my car right into the side of her head! Oh, but don't think for a minute that some of you guys can't be just as bad! People who drive while talking on their phones should be shot! No judge, no jury, just take 'em out back and shoot 'em! :dead: :evil: :D

JediTricks
11-23-2003, 06:32 PM
They already have televisions in the front consoles on cars. I think Steve has one in his truck. :D

Turbowars
11-29-2003, 05:09 PM
They already have televisions in the front consoles on cars. I think Steve has one in his truck. :DNow that's stupid! TV in front or back. If your kid can't live without TV then theres something wrong. I went to Disney Land one time and I parked next to a family that was having a problem with getting the kid out of the van because the show wasn't over yet.:mad: Back to cell phones. Killer hit on this, but yeah some people seem to want you to hear their conversation. Like their important or somthing. I drive a lot and don't use a phone. I have been cut off and hit by people driving while using phones. People drive slow in the fast lane and I love when they change lanes, they think because they turned their blinker on that means they can come on over. I think the cell phone is turning into a security thing. I don't mean protecting you from getting out of the car when you get a flat, I mean to comfort you so you feel you are not alone.

Jargo
11-29-2003, 07:58 PM
I detest drivers who use phones while in motion. Personally I'd like to see cars built with some kind of signal inhibitor to stop calls getting through. If you need to make a call that badly pull over and make it. If a phone call is that important to someone, they'll call you back if you don't answer, pull over and use whatever ringback feature your phone has.
I don't care who you are or how self important you are, or what your job is, (barring emergency services), there is no excuse for using a phone while being in charge of and driving a vehicle on a public road.
If you do use a phone then I view you as a potential murderer and basically, I don't wanna know you. Get off the road you selfish ***********! You want to kill people go join the Al Quaeda. You want to gain the resp[ect of your fellow humans then put down the phone and switch it off. Simple as that. No phone call is more valuable than human life. Get that through your thick skulls and do us all a favour.

The 'Xir
12-01-2003, 03:02 PM
YEAH EJ!!!! Get down wit'cha bad self!!! Damn...and I thought I hated cell phones! Jeeesh. ;) :cool:

Jargo
12-02-2003, 11:31 AM
Hurrah! Law has been passed in the UK that prohibits cellphones from being used while the car is moving unless it is a totally hands free phone. If you pull over to take the call and leave the engine running you can be given an on the spot fine, if caught in motion and using a non hands free cell phone it's an instantanious fine and three bad bad points on your drivers licence automatically regardless of whether or not the case goes to the law courts. If caught using the lanes reserved for emergency use to take or make a phone call it's an automatic fine and bad points on your licence.
Scotland has already implemented this new reform to the law and parts of England are clamping down so hard that even if you have a non hands free phone in your car and it's switched on they will fine you.
Now this is excellent news but it doesn't go far enough in my eyes. Until there is a complete ban on all phones in cars I won't be entirely happy. But this is a very good start at least. Well done the British parliamentarians for taking a positive stand against stupidity. :)

Exhaust Port
12-03-2003, 10:27 AM
I read about this new law in the paper the other day. It's only time before the rest of the cell phone nations start to adopt similar laws. Bring it on.

odb
12-05-2003, 04:49 PM
Hurrah! Law has been passed in the UK that prohibits cellphones from being used while the car is moving unless it is a totally hands free phone. If you pull over to take the call and leave the engine running you can be given an on the spot fine, if caught in motion and using a non hands free cell phone it's an instantanious fine and three bad bad points on your drivers licence automatically regardless of whether or not the case goes to the law courts. If caught using the lanes reserved for emergency use to take or make a phone call it's an automatic fine and bad points on your licence.
Scotland has already implemented this new reform to the law and parts of England are clamping down so hard that even if you have a non hands free phone in your car and it's switched on they will fine you.
Now this is excellent news but it doesn't go far enough in my eyes. Until there is a complete ban on all phones in cars I won't be entirely happy. But this is a very good start at least. Well done the British parliamentarians for taking a positive stand against stupidity. :)

Although the ideas behind this law are good the law itself is completly messed up. For example a there is no clear definition made between what is hands free and what is not. The MOT say that the idea is to prevent people from being distracted using their keypads whilst driving, but it also states that handsfree kits can be used to make or receive calls. So according to them holding a phone and dialling a number is more dangerous and irresponsible than pressing the buttons on a phone attached to the dashboard :confused: . In both cases the user won't be looking at the road as you neither hold the loose phone above the dashboard at eye level nor are any handsfree phones mounted at eye level, they are always mounted in the centre of the car towards the top of the dashboard. So really it just seems to be payday for handsfree suppliers, without making the roads any safer.

It is also not that clear cut about handsfree. For example an earpiece that connects to the phone is illegal to use, but an headset that connects to the phone with buttons on the headset is legal. You walk into a shop and look at all the options available to buy you see that there are hundreds available, all of which are slightly different. It wold appear that it will be down to the officers present whether or not to issue fines which will result in a rash of legal challenges and make the police even more of figures of hate to motorists.

The idea to prevent motorists from being distracted is a good one, but as it stands is illegal to drive down a deserted motorway at midnight at 71mph talking on a mobile phone but it is perfectly legal to drive past a school at 30mph whilst stoned and changing putting a CD on a stereo :confused:. I think it should be an offense to make calls from a car, but it should be legal to receive calls using a handsfree kit. I do believe that people can talk and drive at the same time afterall there's not much difference between a phone conversation and one between a driver and a passenger in the back seat. I think they got their priorities wrong.

It is really the incarnation of the 'nanny state'.

Jargo
12-05-2003, 05:35 PM
Yeah well the sooner the liberal party gets into power and taxes all cars off the road the better. Damn pesky dirty speeding tin death machines. Horses for everyone that's what i say. Feet or horses or donkeys. We went hundreds of years doing fine with just animal transportation so I can't see any reason why animals can't be reintroduced and do away with chemical pollution and congestion. Horse poop is good for rhubard what good is exhaust emissions?
Pedestrianise all cities and introduce a thirty mile per hour speed limit across all motorways and b roads and highways and byways and make roads near schools ten miles per hour. residents access only. All schools must provide assembly points for kids and parents and no loitering outside school entranceways.
All cars are scrapped and the metal used to make a great bridge between England and Ireland.
The money that used to be spent on the up keep of roads can be spent on improving horse drawn cartways and providing service stations on long roads with a blacksmiths shop and equestrian supplies store.
Horses would be taxed and licensed, and a new tax - the hoof tax would be introduced to help with the upkeep of tracks and bridleways.
Farmers would find a new industry blossom in producing hay and straw for stables. Britain would grow the biggest and best rhubarb and become the leading global rhubarb suppliers.
Innovations experts would work hard to come up with the worlds fisrt air conditioned horses and some would be genetically altered to have organic stereo radio receivers built into their skeletons so you could have on horse entertainment.
The same laews as applied to cars would apply to horses. The highway code for cars would apply to horses instead. And the new ruling on phone use while in charge of a mode of transportation would most definately apply. If you are mounted on your horse and use a phone then you're breaking the law.
Shortly before the next election a second bill would pass through parliament banning all use of any form of telecommunication from the saddle a moving creature. The next generation of phones would be public phome booths operated by a sim card chip. More phone clusters on street corners but a person only carries a chip card with authorisation to use phones and a tally of how much credit they have on the card to pay for calls.

EricRG
12-05-2003, 10:14 PM
Or bikes. :)

Turbowars
12-05-2003, 10:20 PM
Yeah well the sooner the liberal party gets into power and taxes all cars off the road the better. Damn pesky dirty speeding tin death machines. Horses for everyone that's what i say. Feet or horses or donkeys. We went hundreds of years doing fine with just animal transportation so I can't see any reason why animals can't be reintroduced and do away with chemical pollution and congestion. Horse poop is good for rhubard what good is exhaust emissions?
Pedestrianise all cities and introduce a thirty mile per hour speed limit across all motorways and b roads and highways and byways and make roads near schools ten miles per hour. residents access only. All schools must provide assembly points for kids and parents and no loitering outside school entranceways.
All cars are scrapped and the metal used to make a great bridge between England and Ireland.
The money that used to be spent on the up keep of roads can be spent on improving horse drawn cartways and providing service stations on long roads with a blacksmiths shop and equestrian supplies store.
Horses would be taxed and licensed, and a new tax - the hoof tax would be introduced to help with the upkeep of tracks and bridleways.
Farmers would find a new industry blossom in producing hay and straw for stables. Britain would grow the biggest and best rhubarb and become the leading global rhubarb suppliers.
Innovations experts would work hard to come up with the worlds fisrt air conditioned horses and some would be genetically altered to have organic stereo radio receivers built into their skeletons so you could have on horse entertainment.
The same laews as applied to cars would apply to horses. The highway code for cars would apply to horses instead. And the new ruling on phone use while in charge of a mode of transportation would most definately apply. If you are mounted on your horse and use a phone then you're breaking the law.
Shortly before the next election a second bill would pass through parliament banning all use of any form of telecommunication from the saddle a moving creature. The next generation of phones would be public phome booths operated by a sim card chip. More phone clusters on street corners but a person only carries a chip card with authorisation to use phones and a tally of how much credit they have on the card to pay for calls.Yeah Ok, I guess it would take about 2 days for me to get to work.:sur:

EricRG
12-05-2003, 11:12 PM
??????????

James Boba Fettfield
12-05-2003, 11:37 PM
Yeah I'm sure all you guys would ignore it if a team from the deep South decided to name themselves the Whiteys or the Palefaces, right?
:confused:

Jargo, your horse and donkey idea is good, but what of the ostrich? Do not deny us the ride to ride....the ostrich!

EricRG
12-06-2003, 11:44 AM
???????????????

Jargo
12-06-2003, 04:18 PM
You did? I thought it was avant garde street theater to be honest. Hell, I even tipped you 2 bucks in your hat there. Gimme those back. grrr! arrgh! ;)

plasticfetish
12-06-2003, 05:15 PM
I thought it was avant garde street theater to be honest.
Hahahahaha.