PDA

View Full Version : Movies that deserved better on DVD!

JON9000
11-20-2003, 03:49 PM
Weird Science and Sixteen Candles finally came out with the original music intact. The substitute tracks were awful enough to make me buy the new versions (first time I bought a new edition of something I had already). Scarface is finally in 5.1! (Missed it the first time- no biggie).

What other movies deserve better DVD treatment? I have two in mind:

Flash Gordon- the sound is absolutely wretched- no 5.1.

Clash of the Titans- 2.0 sound only. What a bummer!

I loved both these flicks as a child and I would love to see them get the proper treatment. Are there any movies you feel have been slighted?

Mandalorian Candidat
11-20-2003, 05:23 PM
Three words...Better Off Dead

The absolute worst DVD ever made of one of the greatest movies ever made. Absolutely no features at all other than being able to skip to different chapters. Plus it cost $$$ and was harder to find than a rocket launching 1979 Boba Fett figure.

tagmac
11-20-2003, 10:39 PM
The Batman series - no extras, questionable widescreen IMO, not even trailers! When are we gonna get the "Special Edition" versions these movies rightly deserve?!

Dick Tracy - imagine the commentary possibilities with that cast, never mind the documentaries and old cartoon/tv series footage that could have been incorporated.

Titanic - like it or hate it, you gotta admit this is one movie deserving of a two-disc set. Where is that hour of extra footage supposedly shot?

Gremlins 2 - we got it for the first one, why not this one?

And when are we gonna get the original King Kong on DVD?!

JediTricks
11-20-2003, 11:33 PM
Gotta agree about Batman (1989), except for the handy "widescreen side/pan-n-scan side" feature that quiets my less-cultured guests, that disc is empty-city!

Beast
11-20-2003, 11:45 PM
They're holding back on the Batman SE's, until the next Batman film comes out. So hopefully when Batman: Intimidation Game hits the theater, you'll see your crispy SE's. That's the current plans anyway. :)

Dick Tracy was supposed to get a SE. Infact it was going to be a VISTA SERIES release. Warren Beatty even wanted to work with the studio on it. Unfortunatly something fell through, and the SE is on hold. :)

Titanic is supposedly getting atleast a 2-disc SE next year. With a Audio commentary by James Cameron and more. Now that he's pulled his head out of his butt, and is willing to do commentaries.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
11-20-2003, 11:57 PM
The Rocketeer

Beast
11-21-2003, 12:16 AM
Nice choice Stillakid. There's some rumblings that that might be a future Vista Series Release. Since it's got it's fans, and the WFRR set sold really well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
11-21-2003, 12:32 AM
Good thing someone said something about The Rocketeer, one of my favorite contemporary Disney films and I've been teetering on the edge of buying the DVD, so now I know better.

I'd say "Star Wars" goes on this list... but, well, you know. ;)

Beast
11-21-2003, 12:52 AM
Well, you know what they say JT. Support the current release, and they'll be sure to bend you over on an SE sooner or later. Army of Darkness, Halloween, and several other movies prove that. :)

I'd like to see 'The Black Hole' get a 2-DISC SE. Especially since they just released a year or so ago, a really nice 2-DISC set of TRON. If Tron can get a 2-DISC SE, Black Hole sure deserves some love. ;)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
11-21-2003, 12:55 AM
Nice choice Stillakid. There's some rumblings that that might be a future Vista Series Release. Since it's got it's fans, and the WFRR set sold really well. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks! But I've had a long day and my head hurts, so if you wouldn't mind explaining "WFRR". Thank you.

I was mightly annoyed myself after buying The Professional and then saw Leon being released just a few months later.

Beast
11-21-2003, 01:02 AM
Thanks! But I've had a long day and my head hurts, so if you wouldn't mind explaining "WFRR". Thank you.

I was mightly annoyed myself after buying The Professional and then saw Leon being released just a few months later.
Who framed Roger Rabbit. Sorry, I usually shorten it when I can, cause it's a pain to type. Shouldn't have in this case. And I know what you mean about the Professional. I haven't seen Leon yet, might give it a rental. Since it's supposed to be a lot better, and the Professional was just so-so to me. :)

What really annoys the hell out of me, is the SE releases that leave a feature off from the original version. Like the X-Men 1.5 release. Sure it's tons better then the first version, but it didn't carry over the somewhat cheesy 'Mutant Watch' Fox Special. Or the Spider-Man Easter Egg.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

El Chuxter
11-21-2003, 03:22 PM
First, and I'm surprised no one's said this on a SW site:

Attack of the Clones. It's obvious they had plenty of time to produce the TPM DVD, and the AOTC DVD was rushed. Just didn't live up to the precedent.

Mulan, Treasure Planet, The Black Cauldron, and several other Disney animated features. Good or bad, at least give us some goodies.

The Powerpuff Girls: The Movie. Come on, Cartoon Network. Put out the stupid widescreen version with cool extras already! :mad:

Sith Lord 0498
11-21-2003, 06:33 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with "The Rocketeer" and "Dick Tracy"!! I've been holding off on both of them just in case special editions surface. My contribution, however, is a film probably very few of you have heard of because it's not exactly the most popular.

"The Wraith" truly deserved better treatment than what it got. Full frame transfer, stereo sound, and a master that was clearly taken from a VHS tape. Granted, it was only $6.00, but still...

Also, "The Monster Squad" is a film that deserved better. Last I heard several months ago from The Digital Bits is that it was supposed to have come out two weeks ago from Pacific Family Entertainment--those people that massacred the DVD version of 'The Final Countdown.' I can only dread what this one will look like.

Beast
11-21-2003, 06:49 PM
They only massacred the DVD version of "The Final Countdown", was because they are bootleggers. They stole a transfer from another region, and released it as a legitamite release. So "Monster Squad" never came out, from what I hear. Cause someone finally shut them down. BTW, "The Final Countdown" is getting an official DVD release next year. From a legitimate DVD company. :D

And the long-awaited The Final Countdown: Special Edition from Blue Underground is also available to pre-order on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000096IAC/thedigitalbit-20). It's due to be released on March 23rd, and will include both anamorphic widescreen and full frame video, as well as Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES audio. Extras are TBD. Watch the Blue Undergroun site (http://www.blue-underground.com/news.php) for more on this.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Anakin2121
11-21-2003, 06:51 PM
Face/Off. Widely agreed to be one of the best action films of the 90s, and also one of the most lackluster DVDs I've ever seen. If The Rock was released as part of the Criterion Collection, surely this could be too.

Beast
11-21-2003, 06:58 PM
I don't think you can claim it's widely agreed to be one of the best action film of the 90's. There's a lot better action films that came out in the 90's. It's an ok flick, but nothing special. That's my opinion, of course. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2003, 07:15 PM
Cronenberg's The Fly could be improved. No special features.

National Lampoon's Vacation could be done a lot better, too. Audio is pathetic for the film.

Beast
11-21-2003, 07:18 PM
David Croneberg's The Fly is getting a SE release in 2004. It will include commentary and the infamous deleted scenes. Fox has confirmed this a couple times as of late. And I'll keep an eye out for news. :)

And National Lampoon's Vacation just got a 20th Anniversary re-release. Have you checked that out for improved audio? It just came out in August, and also features a 'Griswold Family' audio commentary by Chase, Quaid, Simmons, Anthony Michael Hall, Dana Barron, and Director Harold Ramis.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2003, 07:25 PM
That's the one I'm talking about JJB. The audio is a mono mix, and well....that doesn't sit well with me. I'd expect at least an improvement to 2.0....but I guess not. And extras wise, the commentary is about the best thing. The other things are not worth it.

You'd think they would do a better job for the anniversary edition of a good film, I guess not.

Good news about the Fly, though.

Beast
11-21-2003, 07:33 PM
Well, atleast it's it's widescreen. And the audio's probably a mono mix, cause thats the best elements they had available to them. After all, the movie was a cheap comedy from 1983. Atleast the new one is widescreen. Since they butchered that on the first release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
11-21-2003, 07:44 PM
Yeah, making them widescreen is good, but I can't believe the audio thing. Elite got the original night of the living dead in 5.1 and that was an older film. But I can understand their not making it 5.1, like if they did just a stereo mix. I'd be happy, but if you watch Vacation on any kind of surround sound, you can tell something's amiss. Now if you watch dvd's using your tv's speakers, then you probably can't tell a thing wrong with the audio. Vacation could have been so much better.

tagmac
11-21-2003, 09:40 PM
I actually bought Dick Tracy and the Rocketeer anyway, never even thinking at the time about SE re-releases. Considering all I had was an old copy I taped off of TV, it was worth it.

As for movies not yet released, besides the original King Kong, what about Robin Hood: Men in Tights? That was one of Mel Brooks' funniest movies in recent years. And for those of you who like vintage comedies, how about the full set of Abbot and Costello movies? The 3 they have out now on DVD aren't exactly the greatest ones.

Beast
11-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Original King Kong is coming next year, they're doing a really big restoration and SE prep for then. Here's hoping they can get the audio commentary from the Cricterion Laserdisc. I'll see if I can find more info about this one. :)

Robin Hood is supposed to get a SE next year, as is Blazing Saddles. Both were originally supposed to be out in 2003. But for some unknown reason, only "The Producers" only ended up actually coming out. :)

As for Abbot and Costello. There's 8 of their movies, coming early in 2004. On 2/10/2004, a 2-disc set will be released that contains eight of their films from their heyday. The discs will be dual sided DVD 18's, and the set is called "The Best Of Abbott & Costello, Vol. 1" It has the following movies on it. :)

One Night in the Tropics
Buck Privates
In the Navy
Hold That Ghost
Keep 'Em Flying
Ride 'Em Cowboy
Pardon My Sarong
Who Done It?

Also, Universal will be releasing further movies of theirs, throught 2004. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tagmac
11-21-2003, 11:05 PM
Thanks for the info, Jar Jar! :) That'll be right in time for my father's birthday, and those are his faves of the series.

And it's about time for King Kong and Men in Tights....been waiting for these for a while.

Beast
11-21-2003, 11:20 PM
Hey, that's what I'm here for. I'm a bit of a DVD-holic. So I help when I can. King Kong was actually supposed to have been out in 2003, for it's 70th Anniversary. But the restoration process ended up taking longer then was anticipated. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

stillakid
11-22-2003, 12:42 PM
The Iron Giant

Beast
11-22-2003, 12:53 PM
Good news for you again, Stillakid. There is a Iron Giant SE coming. Again, another thing that was supposed to be out in 2003, that got delayed due to preparing it taking longer then planned. Here's the cover art from the SE, which was originally supposed to come out 8/26/2003. I don't have news on specs, but I know it was supposed to have a commentary and other features. Again, I'll keep my peepers open. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Sith Lord 0498
11-22-2003, 01:09 PM
They only massacred the DVD version of "The Final Countdown", was because they are bootleggers. They stole a transfer from another region, and released it as a legitamite release. So "Monster Squad" never came out, from what I hear. Cause someone finally shut them down. BTW, "The Final Countdown" is getting an official DVD release next year. From a legitimate DVD company. :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks for the heads-up, JJB! That doesn't surprise me considering the transfer on "The Final Countdown." I just hope this new company picks up "Monster Squad" and does it justice.

stillakid
11-22-2003, 01:13 PM
Good news for you again, Stillakid. There is a Iron Giant SE coming. Again, another thing that was supposed to be out in 2003, that got delayed due to preparing it taking longer then planned. Here's the cover art from the SE, which was originally supposed to come out 8/26/2003. I don't have news on specs, but I know it was supposed to have a commentary and other features. Again, I'll keep my peepers open. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Wow! I even love the cover better.

Okay, so maybe this is a topic for another thread, but what is the best way to "dispose" of the inferior copies after we upgrade? I'm thinking that some sort of trade-in allowance would be nice. Fantasy, but nice.

Beast
11-22-2003, 01:35 PM
Well, there's always Ebay. And also Blockbuster Video has been running a promotion as of late, where if you bring in a used DVD (that they'll resell), you can get a new DVD for $12.99. I think the next title on this promotion is X2, but I'm not sure about that. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-22-2003, 10:54 PM
Over the Top

James Boba Fettfield
11-22-2003, 11:56 PM
1. Predator
2. They Live
3. Prince of Darkness
4. Tales From The Crypt: Demon Knight
5. Goodfellas (When, oh when are you arriving?)
6. Robocop
7. The Shawshank Redemption
8. Blazzing Saddles
9. Cool Hand Luke
10. The Bounty (1984)

There's more, but I'm tired.

Beast
11-23-2003, 12:27 AM
Predator - Rumor is we'll get the SE that's currently available overseas in R1 when Alien Vs. Predator open next year. Hopefully this is true.

They Live and Prince of Darkness - They had a chance to release the SE's, but chose to just re-release the same versions. Instead of issuing versions like the ones that are out in R2. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight also just got a re-release, with no extras.

Goodfellas - This is coming. It's being currently prepped and will be a 2-disc SE from WB sometime next year. It was originally rumored for 2003, but again a lot of things were put on hold and didn't work out as planned in 2003.

Robocop - Best to try to grab the Cricterion if you can still find it. It's the only Unrated edition of the film in R1. And also has deleted scenes, commentary, and other features. It's OOP though, but can still be found in some stores.

Shawshank Redemption - Atleast has a 48 minute featurette on the making of the film in R2. Not sure what else it has. But they could certainly revisit it here in R1 with a proper SE. There is a problem here though, as Frank Darbont doesn't believe in extras. He's been quoted as saying they are "akin to a magician giving away his secrets" But he has recently softened that stance and even said that he recorded a commentary for the film. Here's a quote. :)

Beyond that, I'll also be doing a Ten Year Anniversary Special Edition DVD for release later in 2004 (before Christmas). The set will include some fabulous documentaries (one of which was superbly done by a company called Noblesgate for Channel 4 in England), as well as a CD of Tom Newman's score. Very exciting stuff.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-23-2003, 02:50 AM
When are we getting Over the Top ? :(

James Boba Fettfield
11-23-2003, 11:16 AM
Predator - Rumor is we'll get the SE that's currently available overseas in R1 when Alien Vs. Predator open next year. Hopefully this is true.

Makes you wish you'd spring for a region free player, doesn't it?

They Live and Prince of Darkness - They had a chance to release the SE's, but chose to just re-release the same versions. Instead of issuing versions like the ones that are out in R2. Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight also just got a re-release, with no extras.

Again makes you wish you had a region free player. Carpenter's films getting no love. I want a nice edition of Dr. Loomis and the Green Tube of Evil, I mean Prince of Darkness. As for Demon Knight, I suppose I should be glad they even re-released it on dvd again.

Goodfellas - This is coming. It's being currently prepped and will be a 2-disc SE from WB sometime next year. It was originally rumored for 2003, but again a lot of things were put on hold and didn't work out as planned in 2003.

For such a great film, I can wait. But the waiting has been happening for awhile now.

Robocop - Best to try to grab the Cricterion if you can still find it. It's the only Unrated edition of the film in R1. And also has deleted scenes, commentary, and other features. It's OOP though, but can still be found in some stores.

Now this, I knew about. I was aware of the Criterion Edition more than a year ago when it was still available at deepdiscountdvd. I checked it out, but decided that MGM's version of the movie was better. Their dvd had it with anamorphic video and 5.1 sound. Criterion's was non anamorphic and with 2.0 sound. It'd be nice to own both of them, because extras wise Criterion wins. But video and sound, MGM wins out. Now if only they could somehow merge Criterion's extras with MGM's audio and video, then I'd be happy.

Shawshank Redemption - Atleast has a 48 minute featurette on the making of the film in R2. Not sure what else it has. But they could certainly revisit it here in R1 with a proper SE. There is a problem here though, as Frank Darbont doesn't believe in extras. He's been quoted as saying they are "akin to a magician giving away his secrets" But he has recently softened that stance and even said that he recorded a commentary for the film.

That is good, very good. Red and Andy getting the proper treatment.

mrmiller
11-23-2003, 06:14 PM
Escape from New York (I think a SE is in the works- not sure)
True Lies
Blade Runner

=MATT=

Beast
11-23-2003, 06:38 PM
The Escape from New York SE, is coming out 12/16/2003. It's a 2-disc set, and comes packaged with a comic. It has commentary, featurettes, deleted scenes, the whole deal. I am currently looking for the complete specs. And I'll update when I find them. Here we go, finally found them:

It's 1997. New York City is a maximum security prison. And Snake Plissken is your man. On December 16th, MGM Home entertainment will at last release John Carpenter's cult classic Escape From New York in a new two-disc special edition. Remastered in 2.35:1 anamorphic widescreen and Dolby Digital 5.1 surround, extras include the full 10-minute deleted "Robbery Sequence" restored and with optional commentary with Carpenter and star Kurt Russell, two additional full-length audio commentaries with Carpenter and Russell and producer Debra Hill and production designer Joe Alves, the new "Return to Escape From New York" documentary, the "Making of John Carpenter's Snake Plissken Chronicles" comic featurette, a still gallery, trailers, and an exclusive full-color mini-comic inside the package. Retail is $29.95.
True Lies was supposed to have been a 5-Star Edition in 2002. And then the WTC happened, and terrorist movies got put on hold. It's supposedly still coming, but who knows when. I'm actually glad they waited, since James Cameron just recently changed his stance on Audio Commentaries. Since he's done one for T2 and Aliens. And doing one for Titanic. Hopefully we'll hear something soon on this one. :)

Blade Runner is also coming soon, sometime in 2004 in a SE 2-3 Disc release. And is again, another movie that was supposed to be out in 2003. But legal clearances had to be worked out first. I know it was going to include a lot of features, but I don't recall off hand exactly what was being rumored. I'll see if I can find them. This may take a while, the net is a bit erpy today. And the search features elsewhere are being a pain. Just consider for now, that it's coming. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
11-23-2003, 07:59 PM
JJB, that's why I waited a looooooong time on buying Stargate. I have to disagree with you about needing a Black Hole 2-disc set though, comparing it to TRON is like comparing twinkies to cheesecake. ;)

Return to Oz could use a mega-disc set though, woefully underappreciated film that would probably get better results if Disney stopped trying to pawn it off as a sickly-sweet kiddie mess and really let people know what they're in for with it.

Also, Amazon Women on the Moon and Kentucky Fried Movie need to be rereleased on dvd with tons of extras.

I'm sick to death of films like Robocop having the good discs, like the Criterion releases, being out of print and rare. DVD distribution is nuts, prices and qualities and rereleases all over the map, good product like Blazing Saddles box set being HTF and left behind to produce the bare-bones $10 version at Target (that's in one of those crappy cardboard boxes, no less!).

Beast
11-23-2003, 08:11 PM
Black Hole is so much better a film then Tron. But that's just my opinion, but I liked it a lot more and it deserves a better treatment. More features, cast commentary, etc. Sometimes twinkies are better then cheesecake. :)

Return to Oz has a new release coming from Disney in Febuary. 2/3/2004 to be exact. And it has a higher price then the current release. It's supposed to be an SE, but there hasn't been any news about what exactly it's getting.

Amazon Women on the Moon just got released in Collector's Edition. So I doubt we'll see anything special on this one. It atleast got trailers and deleted scenes.

DVD Features:
Deleted Scenes
Original Opening Scene
"The Unknown Soldier" Directed by Peter Horton
"Ventriloquist Dummy" Directed by Joe Dante
Peter Pan Theatre
Deleted Love Scenes Directed by Robert Weiss
What in the World is "Amazon Women on the Moon?!?"
Outtakes
Widescreen anamorphic format
And I don't know about you, the Kentucky Fried Movie has some pretty nice features. At least as far as commentaries go. But I can see where you could want more, if you're a really big fan of the movie. :)

DVD Features:
Commentary by director John Landis
Commentary by writer David Zucker
Commentary by writer Jim Abrahams
Commentary by writer Jerry Zucker
Commentary by producer Robert K. Weiss
Theatrical trailer(s)
Talent Bios
Behind-the Scenes Photo Gallery
On-Set Home Movies
Full-screen and widescreen anamorphic formats
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
12-08-2003, 06:16 PM
War of the Worlds

A decent job was done on George Pal's The Time Machine, the same should be done with War of the Worlds!

Beast
12-08-2003, 06:41 PM
It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but Shindler's List is coming to DVD in March. I think it's March 19th, I'll post a thread when I find out somemore. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-08-2003, 07:32 PM
It wasn't mentioned in this thread, but Shindler's List is coming to DVD in March. I think it's March 19th, I'll post a thread when I find out somemore. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Thanks for the heads up Jar Jar. I'm really looking forward to this! But I'm not getting my hopes up for a DVD commentary! :zzz:

I thought it'd be years before we'd get this Movie on DVD.

As for a Movie that deserved much better on DVD, that award goes to another Spielberg movie. Saving Private Ryan. Should have been a 2 disc set with an extensive "making of" documentary, deleted scenes and DVD commentary. Plus real life interviews of Normandy veterans.. I could go on.

Hellboy
12-08-2003, 08:46 PM
Hi my name is Hellboy and I'm a DVDaholic too.

Cool thread guys I'm surprised it took me so long to find it.
Here are just a few of the movies I think deserve better treatment that haven't been mentioned.

-The Crow
-Heat
-Dune (4 hr. version)
-Dazed and Confused (need a 5.1 mix)
-Excalibur
-Halloween II
-The Road Warrior
-Mad Max: Beyond Thunderdome
-Midnight Run
-The 13th Warrior

JON9000
12-09-2003, 11:16 AM
thanks I try to come up with cool ones.

Here's an interesting problem with regards to sound mix. I was looking at the various Bond gift sets, trying to see if there is one with movies I don't yet have, when I looked on the back to see the features included with each movie.

I don't care what the original master is like, something is fishy here. You've got crusty old THUNDERBALL in 5.1, yet LIVE AND LET DIE, released nearly 10 years later, in mono. OCTO*****, 20 years younger than THUNDERBALL gets a Pro-Logic mix.

If Night of the Living Dead has a 5.1, I am ready to believe that just about any film can be given good sound if someone puts his mind to it. As it stands, I love OCTO*****, mangled plot and all, but I am not buying a DVD until they get it right.

Does anybody know what criteria companies use to dtermine what mix to give a film?

Beast
12-09-2003, 02:18 PM
Hellboy, you'll probably never see the 'TV Cut' of Dune on DVD. The Director hates the extended edition. Other regions can get away with releaseing versions of it, but in R1 the director is preventing it from being released. Shame really. The extended cut is much better, even if the original film is awful. I still prefer the mini-series version. :)

Here's the currently known info on Schindler's List. Again, when I've learned more I'll start a thread. The info is from 'The Digital Bits'. :)

I wanted to drop in here with a quick update this morning to let you all know that Amazon.com is now showing Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List as set for release on March 9th. There's been no official word on a street date yet from Universal, but you can expect that to follow soon. In the meantime, Amazon is reporting three versions of the film on DVD... separate full frame and anamorphic widescreen releases priced at SRP $26.98 each, as well as a limited collector's edition gift set containing (presumably) the widescreen version plus other extras (SRP $79.98). Just thought you'd like the heads-up. Thanks to Bits reader Carlen D. for the spot.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Anakin2121
12-09-2003, 02:59 PM
We could use a newer, better DVD of Saving Private Ryan. One with special features other than a featurette whose information was actually inaccurate.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2003, 04:08 PM
I just glad that A Christmas Story has finally gotten its due. JJB, how about The Right Stuff? I love this movie but the copy I have, which is the only version I've seen in the stores, requires you to turn it over half way through and there is nothing to speak of when it comes to extras. This movie and subject matter allows for so many extras but we get nothing.

One with special features other than a featurette whose information was actually inaccurate.
I have this DVD and watched the featurettes but can't remember anything about it. What was inaccurate about it?

Beast
12-09-2003, 04:32 PM
There's supposed to be a 2-Disc Anniversary Edition of 'The Right Stuff' out now. It came out in June. Here's the specs, and a link to Amazon.

March 24, 2003 - Back in the early days of DVD, The Right Stuff was released on a flipper disc. It's taken a while, but one of the best films ever about the early days of the space program is finally getting a special edition and it looks to be packed with goodies.

Arriving on June 10th from Warner, the Special Edition of The Right Stuff will feature a 1.85:1 anamorphic widescreen transfer, Dolby Digital 5.0, Dolby Surround, and Stereo soundtracks. Here are the special features directly from Warner:

Scene-specific Commentaries: Participation by Director Philip Kaufman, Producers Irwin Winkler and Robert Chartoff, Cinematographer Caleb Deschanel; and cast members Jeff Goldblum, Veronica Cartwright, Scott Glenn, Ed Harris, Dennis Quaid, and Barbara Hershey.

Bonus Footage: Never-before-seen additional scenes: Trudy's Dream, Chimp and Center Fuse, Milkshake Connecting, Second Convolution, Specimen Request, Glen Gets Out of Center fuse, Astronauts Walk Down Hall, Gus and Trudy at Motel, Dayroom Liaison Man Speech, Blood/Mission Control, New Congress Lift, NASA Man "Socks," Trudy Wakes.

Behind-the-Scenes Documentaries: Interviews with the creative talent and filmmakers including Ed Harris, Scott Glenn, Barbara Hershey, and Dennis Quaid. Interviews with three of the Mercury Seven astronauts: Commander Scott Carpenter, Colonel Gordon Cooper, and Captain Walter Schirra. Thomas Wolfe, author, narrates the introduction, and General Chuck Yeager is also interviewed.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B000092T6N

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-09-2003, 04:50 PM
I have this DVD and watched the featurettes but can't remember anything about it. What was inaccurate about it?

From what I understand, it's the ages of the Soldiers. From the documentary, you get the feeling that they were "kids", when the majority of them were mature and a bit older. Sure, there were some young kids but they were a minority.

Anakin2121
12-09-2003, 08:23 PM
From what I understand, it's the ages of the Soldiers. From the documentary, you get the feeling that they were "kids", when the majority of them were mature and a bit older. Sure, there were some young kids but they were a minority.

Thank you, that's actually right. The documentary said the average age of an American GI in WWII was 18; that's totally false. It's more like 23...we didn't really start sending "kids" out until Vietnam.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-09-2003, 08:33 PM
Thank you, that's actually right. The documentary said the average age of an American GI in WWII was 18; that's totally false. It's more like 23...we didn't really start sending "kids" out until Vietnam.

An example of a kid in World War II was 2nd Lt. Audie L. Murphy. He was only like 17/18 and the rest of his platoon definitely looked out for him but in the end, he was the toughest US Soldier in World War II. He ended up leading men who were quite a bit older than him.

stillakid
12-09-2003, 10:01 PM
Hellboy, you'll probably never see the 'TV Cut' of Dune on DVD. The Director hates the extended edition. Other regions can get away with releaseing versions of it, but in R1 the director is preventing it from being released. Shame really. The extended cut is much better, even if the original film is awful. I still prefer the mini-series version. :)

The miniseries version definitely is closer to the books than that abomination that dares call itself "Dune." Not only should a DVD not be made from the Lynch version, but all copies should be burned as a gift to future generations.

Exhaust Port
12-09-2003, 10:46 PM
An example of a kid in World War II was 2nd Lt. Audie L. Murphy. He was only like 17/18 and the rest of his platoon definitely looked out for him but in the end, he was the toughest US Soldier in World War II. He ended up leading men who were quite a bit older than him.
Yeah, he was the most decorated US soldier of the war and he went in at 18 years old (possibly at 17 with a false birth cerificate)

Here are the awards he received:

Medal of Honor
Distinguished Service Cross
Silver Star with First Oak Leaf Cluster
Legion of Merit
Bronze Star Medal with "V" Device and First Oak Leaf Cluster
Purple Heart with Second Oak Leaf Cluster
U.S. Army Outstanding Civilian Service Medal
Good Conduct Medal
Distinguished Unit Emblem with First Oak Leaf Cluster
American Campaign Medal
European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with One Silver Star, Four Bronze Service Stars (representing nine campaigns) and one Bronze Arrowhead (representing assault landing at Sicily and Southern France)
World War II Victory Medal
Army of Occupation Medal with Germany Clasp
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
Combat Infantry Badge
Marksman Badge with Rifle Bar
Expert Badge with Bayonet Bar
French Fourragere in Colors of the Croix de Guerre
French Legion of Honor, Grade of Chevalier
French Croix de Guerre With Silver Star
French Croix de Guerre with Palm
Medal of Liberated France
Belgian Croix de Guerre 1940 Palm

The average age in WW2 was 26, the average age in Vietnam was 23 but those numbers are misleading. The youngest troops end up in the most junior positions (there aren't any 19 year old Lt.) and there for they make up a majority of the foot soldier ranks. Storming the shores of D-Day were some of the most freshfaced troops the US had (ie the youngest).

While the stats quoted on the DVD might have implyed that the war as a whole had 18 year old kids running around, I'm sure those storming the beaches on June 6th were pretty young. Of course, I don't see someone being 25 as being old either.

Beast
12-09-2003, 10:50 PM
The miniseries version definitely is closer to the books than that abomination that dares call itself "Dune." Not only should a DVD not be made from the Lynch version, but all copies should be burned as a gift to future generations.
We don't agree on much, but here here Stillakid. The David Lynch version of Dune is an unholy abomination from the putrid depth of hell it's self. I don't care how cheap some of the effects are in the TV Miniseries version. It atleast does a great job of telling a story that actually resembles the book. The weirding way a gun, bite me David Lynch. :p

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Hellboy
12-09-2003, 11:06 PM
I agree JJB that the mini-series is the better and more faithful adaptation of the book but David Lynch's film is what prompted me to read the novels so I personally have to give it some credit. When I saw the extended version I actually liked the movie quite a bit more but still wouldn't say I love it. I own both movies on DVD and would watch the mini-series over Lynch's movie any day though. Its to bad Children of Dune wasn't as good but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-10-2003, 07:06 PM
Come now, Lynch's Dune really wasn't that bad. It's a story that is not easy to adapt to visual media, especially in pre-CGI 1984. In many ways Lynch did better than the TV version. Bad CGI is worse than no CGI. Plus it didn't have any of those ridiculous backdrops and have that 100% soundstage feel of the SciFi version. I will say that Lynch's version makes the Fremen seem like a roving band of half-baked desert hooligans instead of the fierce warriors that Herbert envisioned.

Just so this is back on the topic of DVDs, where is the extended Lynch Dune available? I thought it was never released and that the one released around 1999 was the only version around.

stillakid
12-11-2003, 12:00 AM
Come now, Lynch's Dune really wasn't that bad. It's a story that is not easy to adapt to visual media, especially in pre-CGI 1984. In many ways Lynch did better than the TV version. Bad CGI is worse than no CGI. Plus it didn't have any of those ridiculous backdrops and have that 100% soundstage feel of the SciFi version. I will say that Lynch's version makes the Fremen seem like a roving band of half-baked desert hooligans instead of the fierce warriors that Herbert envisioned.

Just so this is back on the topic of DVDs, where is the extended Lynch Dune available? I thought it was never released and that the one released around 1999 was the only version around.

The visuals really have very little to do with why Lynch's version was plain ol' bad. Without a doubt, the entire epic which is DUNE is extraordinarily large and complex. It encompasses in extreme detail the elements of science, religion, economics, politics, and survival. To even attempt to adapt such a far reaching tale into a 2 hour genre piece was folly to begin with. Add that difficulty with the fact that a large part of the novelization included "thoughts," a technique that isn't easily translated into the film language, and you've got a recipe for failure. And not to mention, what the hell were those gun things anyway? Not only were they not a part of the book, but they weren't a clever way to "adapt" any other part of the story. They were just tossed in all willy-nilly to advance the story quicker because 2 hours isn't enough time to tell the real story.

The Sci Fi version was far closer to the novelization but suffered from a severe lack of funds. Far more deserving of that kind of money than the childish LOTR trilogy, a motion picture version of the DUNE epic with the proper resources would be truly outstanding.

Hellboy
12-12-2003, 01:18 PM

Unfortunately it isn't available on video or DVD and the only place I've seen this version is on the Sci-Fi channel. I believe there was a Japanese Import version released on Laserdisc some years ago but it's never been released in the states. Even though Lynch doesn't like this version I believe if there is enough interest it could be released on DVD at some point.

stillakid
12-12-2003, 03:23 PM
-Heat
-The Road Warrior

Coming soon! :)

JON9000
12-25-2003, 12:07 AM
[QUOTE=Exhaust Port] JJB, how about The Right Stuff? I love this movie but the copy I have, which is the only version I've seen in the stores, requires you to turn it over half way through and there is nothing to speak of when it comes to extras. This movie and subject matter allows for so many extras but we get nothing.
[QUOTE]
I own the DVD in question and it is awesome. The primary advantage is that the feature is on one disc and you needn't flip it. The limited commentary is okay, but I wish there was a full one. The documentaries are okay. Of primary interest to me was the revelation of a very special cameo at Pancho's.

scruffziller
12-26-2003, 08:21 AM
Well I'll repeatedly put in my 2 cents worth again and again for STAR TREK:TMP.
Needed the Collector's Edition on DVD.:rolleyes: Just hope I can find it on Laserdisc.

Beast
12-26-2003, 02:38 PM
The DVD is superior. First of all, it includes some extras. And the film was complete by the director, to the level that he would have wanted it. If he had had the time and money to do it that way back when it was filmed. The cut of the film is even far superior. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
12-27-2003, 02:00 PM
And the film was complete by the director, to the level that he would have wanted it. If he had had the time and money to do it that way back when it was filmed. The cut of the film is even far superior. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar BinksI know we argue on this alot JJB...........:zzz:
Then why do you continually hug your original, original cuts of the OT on Laserdisc.;) :p

*Scruffziller hugs VHS tape of ST:TMP Collectors Edition*

If you believe that universally, you should throw out your LDs of all the OTs you own and only own the OT DVDs coming out next year since it will be GL's "level that he would want it.";)

Beast
01-02-2004, 10:33 PM
The Digital Bits posted a bunch of news of upcoming releases, some of what was mentioned here. Including Blazing Saddles. Figured I'd pop it here for your perusal. :)

We've learned from our friends at The R2 Project that Warner has revealed the Region 2 DVD release of a number of new, previously unannounced titles for 2004 (many are long-awaited special editions). These include:

June - THX-1138, The Searchers: SE, Blazing Saddles: SE, Three Godfathers, Mogambo, Shalako, Wyatt Earp, The Hunger, Fearless Vampire Killers

July - Heat: SE, Goodfellas: SE

August - Jailhouse Rock, Viva Las Vegas, Tarzan the Ape Man, a Johnny Weismuller Box Set, Greystoke: The Legend of Tarzan, Enter the Dragon: SE, Cleopatra Jones, Legend of the Seven Golden Vampires, Purple Rain: SE, Under the Cherry Moon, Graffiti Bridge

September - After Hours, Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore, Who's That Knocking at My Door?, The Lost Boys: SE

It's likely that those titles above that haven't yet been released in R1 will debut here later in 2004 as well. We've also confirmed with our sources that Warner is working on 2-disc SEs of Forbidden Planet and King Kong for 2004. We'll let you know when any official announcements get made.

This is MUCH more tenuous information, but a Brazilian industry contact has informed us that Warner's told him to expect the following additional DVD releases in 2004:

May - Matrix Revolutions

June - The Last Samurai, The Marx Brothers Collection

July - The Name of the Rose: SE

September - Smallville: The Compete Second Season

October - Troy, The Errol Flynn Collection

November - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, Gone With the Wind: SE

We'll try to confirm some of this with our own sources in the weeks ahead, so stay tuned.

We've heard from additional retail sources that New Line is telling them to expect the 2-disc The Return of the King theatrical version on DVD on May 25th, and the 4-disc extended version in the August-November timeframe. Of course, we'll let you know when we have official confirmation.

Also today, we've spoken with our sources at Paramount, and have learned that Ragtime, Day of the Locusts, Goodbye, Columbus, Rustler's Rhapsody and The Winds of War are all on the way for early summer 2004. You should also be aware that Star Trek: Voyager - Season Two has been delayed until May, which means that seasons 3-7 will be released on a more compressed schedule throughout the rest of the year.

We posted the rest of this in the daily column a few days ago, but it bears repeating again here:

Confirmed by Paramount to be coming in March are Sightings: Heartland Ghost, Dora the Explorer: Dora's Egg Hunt, Nick Jr. Celebrates Spring, SpongeBob SquarePants: SpongeBob Goes Prehistoric, Brother Sun, Sister Moon, The Ten Commandments: Special Collector's Edition (3/9), Resurrection Blvd.: The Complete First Season, Beyond Borders, The Singing Detective and The School of Rock. We're hearing 3/2 as the street date on School of Rock, featuring audio commentary with Jack Black and director Richard Linklater, commentary with the kids in the film, an interactive Dewey Finn's History of Rock and the featurettes Lessons Learned in School of Rock, Jack Black's Pitch to Led Zeppelin and Kids' Video Diary: Toronto Film Festival Piece. We're also expecting C.S.I.: The Complete Third Season in March (we're hearing 3/30 on that).

We've also been told by industry sources that more Comedy Central product is on the way from Paramount in 2004. For next summer, look for Reno 911!: The Complete First Season, The Joe Schmo Show: Uncensored, The Comedy Central Roast of Dennis Leary and That's My Bush!. And in the fall, you'll get Strangers with Candy: The Complete Third Season, Crank Yankers: The Complete First Season and South Park: The Complete Fourth Season. Plus, there's still a Top Gun: Special Edition in the works as well, although don't expect this before the end of 2004 at the earliest.

Stay tuned...
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
01-02-2004, 11:23 PM
Another Blazing Saddles DVD? Great film, but does it really need a 3rd DVD?

Beast
01-02-2004, 11:45 PM
Since it's going to be a full blown SE, yes. Hopefully Robin Hood: Men in Tights SE is on the way as well. I'd like to see really good SE's of most of his films. Spaceballs needs a revamp also. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
01-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I just read the specs for Robert Altman's Popeye. 12 chapter selections, that about it. No commentary, deleted scenes, or anything else cool. I even think the standard sound is prologic. You have to go through the menu to get to 5.1.

I nominate Paramount as the lousiest major studio releaser of DVDs. fixing the ST movies was a nice thing to do, but come on, for flicks with a narrower fan base that probably won't get redone, do it right the first time!!! :frus:

JediTricks
01-10-2004, 06:13 AM
I guess the big mountain just sees DVD as an extension of the VHS market. :(

Did I mention Hudson Hawk already? There's actually a pretty big list brewing in my head, but that one seems to be the only one I can remember when this post comes around... and barely that. ;)

Billy_Dee_Binks
01-11-2004, 09:47 AM
Batman
Batman´s Return
Goodfellas

Beast
01-13-2004, 12:57 PM
Fox confirmed in a chat with Home Theater Forum, that the "Predator" SE that's been available in other regions will finally see the light of day in R1 with the release of Alien Vs. Predator. Also, the SE of "The Fly" (1986) will finally also see the light of day. Bunch more news, nothing amazingly big in their chat transcript. :)

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/files/fox2004.txt

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

scruffziller
01-15-2004, 03:56 PM
Well..................
I would say "SCORE" but I can't because I did obtain ST:TMP Special Longer Version on LD but...........
its...............its............................. .

FOOL-SCREEN!!!!!!!!!!!! :cry:
I believe that that version was never released in WS now. Oh Well.

JediTricks
01-16-2004, 06:40 PM
Big Trouble, that movie got lost unfortunately because of post-9/11 issues, but is really funny and deserved better than the DVD it got.

Sentinel18725
01-17-2004, 09:03 AM
How about Flatliners. The movie had no extras and that's ashame. It was such a good movie, I was looking forward to a commentary by Bacon or Joel.

2-1B
01-19-2004, 02:45 AM
Did anybody say Ace Ventura? My DVD is full screen and I don't like that.

JT, I saw Big Trouble in theater and agree it was good . . . I didn't notice the DVD release though, I'll have to look into it and see how they treated it.

Stemp Fester
01-19-2004, 11:58 AM
As cheesy as they are, I'd like to see Cannonball Run 1&2 released on dvd (if they aren't already). The Lamborghini chases at the start of each of those films hooked me - I love Lamborghinis! :D

Hatari - this old flick needs a good bit o' restoration simply for the Henry Mancini music.

Pulse (Pink Floyd) - I am absolutely fed up with waiting for this to come out on dvd. My video is getting worn out through overuse, and I hate not being able to skip straight to "One of these days". I hope the delay is not the result of some Roger Waters vs. the rest of Pink Floyd kinda thing, if so we may never see it. I doubt this though, too much $ to be made...
I hope Pink Floyd has the good sense to release The Wall (live) as well. If ever there was a dvd that could use the multi-angle thing that dvd's can do, The Wall (live) is it.

Someone mentioned in an earlier post that they wanted "Dazed and Confused" in 5.1. I bought this recently - my copy is 5.1 so your wish is answered. Of course, I'm in Oz, but I'd have to assume that the US has it in 5.1 now as well.

Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - this would be nice. I'm really keen to see what the remake is going to turn out like, I just hope it's not a CG-fest. A lot of the appeal in the original for me was the el-cheapo props & effects.

billfremore
01-19-2004, 01:31 PM
Cannonball 1 and 2 are on DVD but with the usual bare minimum of extras.
(Which basically means you're lucky if you get the original trailer):)

I know this has already been covered but I would really, really, really, really, REALLY, love it if they would put the Criterion Robocop into print again.
This thing is nigh-impossible to find here in the great white north and I have a hard time justifying to myself paying $50 U.S. on e-bay for it.

As for stuff I'd like to see on DVD?

The Rocketeer (Already been said but I gotta agree)
The entire series of the Flash (c'mon it's only one season)
The 80's Buck Rogers TV show (love that cheesy 80's sci-fi)
The Last Starfighter
All this and superduper versions of all the Friday the 13th movies!

Beast
01-19-2004, 01:37 PM
The current 2-disc set for the 'Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy' is a pretty good set. A couple of really nice extras. I doubt that we'll see a better edition anytime soon. Because the current one is pretty much as good as it can get. Since it alreadt has commentary, deleted scenes, and features. :)

The current Last Starfighter disc isn't that bad. A nice uber SE would be nice, but for a title like this it's not feasible. The current one already has a featurette or two and a very good audio commentary. I own it myself and it's a very nice set. Black Hole needs a better edition first, IMHO.

Paramount is working on an uber boxset of all of the Friday the 13th movies that they own. Plans are for it to be out this Halloween if they get it done in time. They were filming extras recently at Fangoria's Horror Weekend. Where they had all the original Jason actors together again.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

tagmac
01-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Would be nice to see "Superman II" get a re-hash. The current version was missing a lot of scenes only shown during the first few television showings (later tv showings still cut out the scene of Superman delivering Luthor to the Arctic police, the most notable of the missing scenes). I remember seeing these when I watched it as a kid, and was extremely disappointed the cut version ended up on the DVD. About time they corrected that.

JON9000
01-23-2004, 02:45 PM
Would be nice to see "Superman II" get a re-hash. The current version was missing a lot of scenes only shown during the first few television showings (later tv showings still cut out the scene of Superman delivering Luthor to the Arctic police, the most notable of the missing scenes). I remember seeing these when I watched it as a kid, and was extremely disappointed the cut version ended up on the DVD. About time they corrected that.

That would be the bomb. I would also like to see the Brando scenes put back in. I don't think they ever saw the light of day. I've heard there are a lot of legal issues surrounding this movie.

2-1B
01-25-2004, 01:46 AM
What the hell should I do about these F13 films ? :(

I own parts 1, 7, 9, 10, and 11 on DVD leaving me with 6 more to go . . . I can get the whole lot of 6 I need for just under $60 on deepdiscountdvd.com . . . but if that boxset is on the way, I'll want that, too.

You know what? SCREW PARAMOUNT, bunch of ******. . . :mad:
Sure enough, it took New Line's treatment of the franchise to show Paramount how to do it.
Paramount has been slow in giving their good movies a nice package on DVD, so why bother with a bunch of old slasher flicks? :(
Oh, but that whole bunch of them made the company some nice coin.

Beast
01-25-2004, 01:56 AM
Well, the boxset is only going to have 1-8. Since Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X are owned by New Line. So you won't have as big of a problem. I'm looking forward to it, since I don't own any of them but Freddy vs. Jason. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
01-25-2004, 03:10 AM
But that is my problem - all 6 that I need are in that boxset . . . but will it be worth it? If it's going to be a pricey set with only mildly interesting extras, then I'll wait.

Basically I can pay just under $60 and finish off the series or wait and maybe pay a bunch more and not be happy with the extras.

Who knows . . . :D

James Boba Fettfield
01-25-2004, 08:50 PM
Oh Paramount, they're notorious for these things.

I think the boxset might be worth it. They handled the special editions of the Star Trek films well, and I suspect they will not disappoint with these. As JJB has said, the only real extras to be known right now are what was filmed during Fango's WOH, and that Kane Hodder mentioned that Part 7 might end up being the uncut version and that he's doing a commentary for part 7, as well.

It sounds like Paramount is taking this seriously, and we can only hope so.

And maybe....Part 3 in 3-D! That's just speculation on my part, though.

Beast
03-09-2004, 02:48 AM
Some news from HTF's chat with Warner Brother's tonight. There will be better info tommorrow, when the chat transcript is posted. But here's the release news that was revealed. Also Paramont is prepping D*A*R*Y*L, Explorers, and Fire in the Sky for DVD release. :)

FILMS

Coming in 2004

- The Asphalt Jungle (1950) [July; part of Noir box set]
- The Bad Seed (1956)
- Blazing Saddles: SE (1974) [Summer; "Wait 'til you hear the bean scene (in 5.1)"]
- Buster Keaton silent films
- Children of the Damned (1963) [Halloween]
- Dead Ringer (1964) [Halloween]
- Dracula: Dead and Loving It (1995) [Summer]
- Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)
- Gangster films collection similar to Warner Legends collection
- GoodFellas: SE
- Graffiti Bridge (1990)
- Gun Crazy (a.k.a. Deadly Is the Female) (1949) [July; part of Noir box set]
- Hitchcock 7-film box set
- The Hunger (1983) [Halloween]
- It's Alive! (1974) [Halloween]
- It's Alive II (a.k.a. It Lives Again) (1978) [Halloween]
- It's Alive III: Island of the Alive (1987) [Halloween]
- The Lost Boys: SE (1987)
- Mean Streets: SE (1973) ["Sooner than you think"]
- Murder, My Sweet (1944) [July; part of Noir box set]
- Name of the Rose
- Out of the Past (1947) [July; part of Noir box set]
- Over the Edge (1979)
- Purple Rain: 2-Disc SE (1984)
- Return of the Living Dead Part II (1988) [Halloween]
- The Set-Up (1949) [July; part of Noir box set]
- Seven Brides For Seven Brothers: SE [w/ both Cinemascope and flat versions!]
- The Shawshank Redemption: 10th Anniversary (1994) [Closely working w/ Darabont]
- That's Entertainment! Trilogy (1974,1976,1994)
- THX-1138: 2-Disc SE (1971) [September; cross-promote w/ Star Wars]
- Tom & Jerry Collection [similar to Looney Tunes box]
- Under the Cherry Moon (1986)
- Village of the Damned (1960) [Halloween]

Coming in 2005

- Angels in the Outfield (1951)
- The Band Wagon: 2-Disc SE (1953) [w/ Ultra-Resolution process]
- Batman: SE (1989) [Cross promote w/ 2005 film]
- Battle of the Bulge (1965)
- Brigadoon (1954)
- Bubsy Berkely box set
- Caged (1950)
- Chariots of Fire: SE (1981) [Coincide with Oscar season]
- Dog Day Afternoon: SE (1975)
- East of Eden (1955) [Legal issues cleared up; 50th Anniversary release hoped]
- Fandango (1985)
- Mighty Joe Young (1949)
- Ninotchka (1939) [Along with 100th Anniversary Garbo promotion with "all her most beloved films"]
- Quick Change (1990)
- The Spirit of St. Louis (1957) [being restored]
- It's Always Fair Weather (1955)
- To Be or Not to Be (1942)
- The Yakuza (1975)

Coming in 2006

- An American in Paris: 2-Disc SE (1951) [w/ Ultra-Resolution process]
- Body Heat: 25th Anniversary (1981)
- The Searchers: 50th Anniversary SE (1956) [w/ other Wayne/Ford titles]

Being worked on - No date

- Bad Day at Black Rock (1955)
- The Battle of Cable Hogue (1970) [Peckinpah promotion]
- Bells Are Ringing (1960)
- The Big Parade (1925) [Being restored]
- Bonnie and Clyde: SE (1967)
- Bringing Up Baby (1938)
- Bullit: SE (1968)
- Camille (1936)
- Cat People (1942) [Part of 9 film Val Lewton box set]
- Demon Seed (1977)
- The Devils (1971)
- Dinner at Eight (1933)
- Freaks (1932)
- Gone With the Wind: 2-Disc SE (1939) [w/ Ultra-Resolution process, "mind boggling"]
- The Magnificent Ambersons (1942)
- I Married a Witch (1942) [Perhaps 2005]
- Ivanhoe (1952)
- The Jazz Singer (1927)
- King Kong: 2-Disc SE (1933) [Being painstakingly restored; "Will blow you away"; "Kong will now fall from the Empire State Building without gaps"]
- The Mackintosh Man (1973)
- Matrix Trilogy Box Set [In discussion, "cannot say more"]
- O Lucky Man! (1973)
- Pat Garrett and Billy the kid (1973) [Peckinpah promotion]
- Rebel Without a Cause: SE (1955)
- Ride the High Country (1962) [Peckinpah promotion]
- Robert Mitchum box set ["several films contemplated"]
- Stagecoach: SE (1939) [restoration planned]
- Strangers on a Train: SE (1951) [being restored]
- A Streetcar Named Desire: SE (1951)
- The Wild Bunch: SE (1969) [Peckinpah promotion]

In discussion for release, but no plans

- Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (OAR) (1994)
- Beetlejuice: SE (1988)
- Bladerunner: SE (1982) [Investigating options, still has legal issues]
- The Maltese Falcon (1941)
- Poltergeist: SE (1982)
- Vincent Minnelli musicals

No plans for release at this time

- Beau Brummel (1924)
- A Big Hand for a Little Lady (1966)
- The Big Red One (1980)
- The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954)
- Clara's Heart (1988)
- Cruising (1980)
- Dark Night of the Scarecrow (1981)
- Deadly Obsession (1989)
- Dillinger (1945)
- Dracula A.D. 1972 (1972)
- Electric Dreams (1984)
- Hamlet (1996) [Legal issues]
- Hand Done (?)
- The High and the Mighty (1954)
- His Kind of Woman (1951)
- House of Dark Shadows (1970)
- Killer Party (1986)
- Looker (1981)
- Night of Dark Shadows (1971)
- Night School (1981)
- No Time for Sergeants (1958)
- Raintree County (1957) [Needs restoration]
- Silent Partner (1944)
- So Fine (1981)
- Sphinx (1981)
- Under the Rainbow (1981)
- Waterloo Bridge (1940)
- When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth (1970)

No plans to re-release at this time

- Burglar (1987)
- Clint Eastwood films [current releases have specs per Eastwood's preference]
- The Crush (1993)
- Deathtrap (1982)
- Fearless (1993)
- The Goonies (1985)
- Grumpy Old Men (1993)
- Grumpier Old Men (1995)
- Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (2001)
- Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets (2002)
- The NeverEnding Story (1984)
- Nightbreed (1990)
- Superman II (Richard Donner Cut) (1980)
- Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983)
- The Witches (1990)

TV SHOWS

Coming in 2004

- Batman: The Animated Series (1992-1995) [Box sets]
- E.R. Season 3
- Superman: The Animated Series (1996-2000) [Box sets]
- Teen Titans (2003-current) [Box sets]
- Wonder Woman (1976-1979)

Coming in 2005

- Miss Marple series

Being worked on - No date

- Everwood (2002-current)
- The O.C. (2003-current)
- Superfriends [No specifics if box sets or not]
- V (1984-1985)

In discussion for release, but no plans

- Animaniacs (1993-1998)
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air (1990-1996)
- Knot's Landing (1979-1993)
- Lois & Clark: The New Adventures of Superman 91993-1997)
- Mad TV (1995-current)
- Night Court (1984-1992)
- Pinky and the Brain (1995-1998)

No plans for release at this time

- The Adventures of Brisco County, Jr. (1993-1994)
- ALF (1986-1990)
- Beetlejuice (1989-1991)
- Birds of Prey (1973)
- Brimstone (1998-1999)
- Bucky O'Hare (1992)
- CNN's Cold War (1998)
- Fish Police (1992)
- The Flash (1990-1991)
- Freddy's Nightmares (1988-1990)
- Growing Pains (1985-1992)
- Justice League (2001-current) [16x9; box sets]
- Off Centre (2001-2003)
- Perfect Strangers (1986-1993)
- Run of the House (2003-current)
- Thundercats (1985-1987)
- Xiaolin Showdown (2003-current)

OTHER GENERAL INFO

- 'DVD Decision 2004' will be open to the voting of all the public (not just AOL users like 2003). One title to be voted on is Greed (1925).
- "We do not sublicense titles to third parties (Criterion)."
- Batman 60's TV show and legal issues w/ Fox, "can't comment"
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-09-2004, 03:21 AM
Ace Ventura OAR should be a no-brainer. I bet they could dress it up as a nice SE and make a few bucks on it as well. :)

James Boba Fettfield
03-09-2004, 03:21 AM
Goodfellas and Batman cartoons. Too bad there was no mention of Batman Beyond.

Mandalorian Candidat
03-09-2004, 11:31 AM
Name of the Rose...what a biatchin flick! Sean Connery and Christian Slater as crime fighting monks in the Spanish Inquisition--sounds like a dopey premise but what a great movie! I highly recommend it to any mystery/thriller fan. I'll be getting that one for sure.

Hellboy
03-09-2004, 05:05 PM
Well I'm really excited for the Batman and Superman animated boxed sets. If they sell well hopefully Batman Beyond and rumored Justice League boxed set won't be to far behind. :)

B'Omarr Monkey
03-09-2004, 11:06 PM
I'm looking forward to the batman box sets as well. This is something they should have done in the first place. King Kong was supposed to be out last year, now I'm guessing they'll hold off until Peter Jackson's remake is about to hit theatres, but I can't wait. I'll also have to start saving for that Val Lewton set. I love box sets, but when they get here, like the Buster Keaton set which I'm still dying to get, the $150+ price tags are a little tough.

Beast
03-23-2004, 11:54 AM
And now, for something completly different. A movie that doesn't deserve better on DVD. Certainly not a deluxe boxset with extra goodies. "Showgirls" is being released in a special boxset with shot glasses, a deck of cards, a blindfold and tassled pasties for a 'Pin-the-pasties-on-the-showgirl' game. Ugh. Shoot the man who came up with this. :rolleyes:

http://www.usatoday.com/life/movies/news/2004-03-22-dvd-extras_x.htm

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
03-23-2004, 12:44 PM
Unless that boxset includes a lapdance like the one Elizabeth Berkley gave Kyle Maclachlan . . . I'm not interested. :D

stillakid
03-24-2004, 11:17 AM
Unless that boxset includes a lapdance like the one Elizabeth Berkley gave Kyle Maclachlan . . . I'm not interested. :D

At $39.98, you could skip the box set and get two lap dances! :kiss:

Jayspawn
03-24-2004, 06:27 PM
Has anybody heard if Star Trek Generations, or First Contact are gonna get Special Editions?

Beast
03-24-2004, 06:33 PM
Yes, all of the Star Trek films will eventually recieve full 2-Disc SE's. They're working on Generations right now. No locked in release date as of yet. But here's hoping it's an extended edition. I really want to see Kirk's Atmosphere Diving. As well as a lot of the other cut footage. The original ending where Sauron shoots Kirk in the back should be included as well, in my opinion. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Card Dreamer
03-27-2004, 02:23 AM
can they skip ST: Insurrection SE? I mean, do we REALLY need a bad movie extended? :P Don't get me wrong. Decent sotry, but would have been better suited fora 2 part ep than as a movie...*shudder*

JediTricks
03-28-2004, 04:08 PM
2 parter?!? Seems like you'd have to stretch it to fit that, and they did... and it sucked! I hope there's a way to get just the extras from Generations, no need to actually see that film again. ;) Only First Contact deserves a special edition disc set, and they don't need to monkey with the film, just give it a bunch of extras.

Card Dreamer
03-28-2004, 09:00 PM
2 parter?!? Seems like you'd have to stretch it to fit that, and they did... and it sucked! I hope there's a way to get just the extras from Generations, no need to actually see that film again. ;) Only First Contact deserves a special edition disc set, and they don't need to monkey with the film, just give it a bunch of extras.
What was wrong with Generations? I loved that movie. And I've noticed that since that movie, all concepts of exploration, human evolution, etc have gone out the window. Don't get me wrong, First Contact was awesome, and I liked Nemesis, but man, where's the true space exploration/mystery/human exploration themes that made trek what it was?

JediTricks
03-30-2004, 01:23 AM
Generations rings so false for me, bridging the Kirk/Pircard eras like that felt like cheating (especially since TNG had already successfully done that bridging 3 separate times) and the whole contrived plot device of The Nexus really didn't work at all when you consider how many better ways Picard could have made things better, not to mention just how lame it was to have Soran go through all that trouble when he could have just flown in there with a fortified ship. Killing Kirk, Picard's family and the Enterprise-D seemed painfully unnecessary and woefully manipulative, Data's haywire emotion chip comes off creepy and nonsensical much of the time just to add insult to injury. The writing for the TOS characters felt very thin and it was so weak that they were able to merge multiple characters together when Nimoy and Kelley made the wise choice of staying away.

I felt the whole point of First Contact was that the crew of the Enterprise-E was making sure that a major milestone in the "space exploration/mystery/human exploration" Trek past would go off.

Card Dreamer
03-30-2004, 11:06 PM
I felt the whole point of First Contact was that the crew of the Enterprise-E was making sure that a major milestone in the "space exploration/mystery/human exploration" Trek past would go off.
Well, we have 2 very different views on Generations, that's for sure, but to each his own. You had great reasoning and defense for your stand on the issue and I admire that :)

As for "past would go off"..what do you mean? End? If that the case, I don't see how that can really happen. In All Good Things... Q told Picard that THAT was the kind of exploration that awaited them.

Jayspawn
03-31-2004, 12:37 AM
I really liked Generations also. To me the diologue was fine -the plot was interesting. I had no problem w/ Kirk's death (and Kirk is my favorite Trek character) I liked Shatner's add-lib "Oh my..." meaning Kirk is passing on and going where he has never gone before. My other favorite line is Data's "Ohhhh...sh@#!" The only distracting thing is the changing uniforms -but its all good. I would love to see extras for this movie.

Card Dreamer
03-31-2004, 05:40 PM
yeah Jayspawn, those were great moments, but I don't think anything beats Data's Lifeforms song :D

JediTricks
03-31-2004, 09:23 PM
CD, I meant that if the Ent-E crew didn't do everything they could in First Contact, the birth of man's interstellar exploration, alien encounters, the Federation, all that Trek stuff would not have happened even once they had defeated the Borg in that time.

JediTricks
04-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Rented "Hook" last night, this film needs a better DVD pretty badly.

Jayspawn
04-05-2004, 06:24 PM
Yeah Hook needs a new DVD very badly. You think it would be better for a Spielberg film.

El Chuxter
04-06-2004, 01:04 PM
I think I speak for most John Williams fans when I say Hook needs a new DVD with a music-only track.

And a super-deluxe expanded soundtrack CD, too. :D

Beast
06-30-2004, 02:49 AM
Just gonna drop it in here, since I don't wanna keep posting threads. And also because there was some recent discussion of it before the thread died. The specs for Star Trek Generations SE have been released. And it looks great. We even get the deleted scenes we've all been wanting to see. Like Kirk's orbital diving and original death. :)

Star Trek: Generations - Special Collector's Edition (SRP $19.99 - due 9/7).

The 2-disc set will include the 117-minute film in anamorphic widescreen video (2.35:1) with English Dolby Digital 5.1 EX, DTS 5.1 and Dolby Surround audio (also French Dolby Surround). Disc One will include audio commentary by screenwriters Brannon Braga and Ron Moore, along with another text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda. Disc Two will include The Star Trek Universe section (A Tribute to Matt Jefferies, The Enterprise Lineage, Captain Picard's Family Album and Creating 24th Century Weapons), the Production section (Uniting Two Legends, Stellar Cartography: Creating the Illusion and Strange New Worlds: The Valley of Fire), the Visual Effects section (Inside ILM: Models and Miniatures and Crashing the Enterprise), the Scene Deconstruction section (Main Title Sequence, The Nexus Ribbon, Saucer Crash Sequence), the Deleted Scenes section (Orbital Skydiving, Walking the Plank, Christmas with the Picards and Alternate Ending) and an Archives section (storyboards, a production gallery, and the teaser and theatrical trailers). All in all, looks like a damn fine DVD.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
06-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Woohoo! I cant wait!

"Sounds like fun." -Captain Kirk

Jayspawn
07-09-2004, 10:20 AM
Didint I hear somewhere that a better version of Ghostbusters was coming out?

I saw pictures of the upcoming Star Trek The Original Series Season 1. Looks great! Too bad I have them all already.

Hellboy
07-09-2004, 09:23 PM
Didint I hear somewhere that a better version of Ghostbusters was coming out?

Anything is possible, though I haven't heard anything. I actually think the remastered version that came out in 1999 was really good, especially when you consider it retails for about $10 now.

Beast
07-09-2004, 09:35 PM
There is some rumblings of a 20th Anniversary Edition of Ghostbusters for later this year. Since there was a couple things left off the DVD that was released in 1999. The Laserdisc had a few extra deleted scenes, and some other things. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
07-11-2004, 01:21 PM
There is some rumblings of a 20th Anniversary Edition of Ghostbusters for later this year. Since there was a couple things left off the DVD that was released in 1999. The Laserdisc had a few extra deleted scenes, and some other things.
I'm not upgrading any more DVDs until Blue Ray is out and affordable. :greedy:

Deoxyribonucleic
07-11-2004, 04:01 PM
All the MASH dvd's could use some extra features!! Although I love MASH so much and am just glad to have them on dvd, it sure would be cool if they put bloopers, makings of, cast and crew interviews, commentaries, etc.

One can only hope ;)

Hellboy
07-19-2004, 08:54 PM
Well it looks like another good box set is coming out that we won't be able to enjoy here in the states. I found this over at Bloody-Disgusting.com

The UK gets all the good ****, always has, always will. First they get the awesome Hellraiser boxset and now this- the complete Halloween Colletion on DVD! Anchor Bay Entertainment's release is planned for September 20th of this year.

Check out the sweet box art.

Jayspawn
07-20-2004, 11:03 AM
That Halloween set looks awesome! Too bad I already have all of them on DVD already (except for III but we can pretend it doesnt exist :D )

Jayspawn
07-24-2004, 03:48 PM
Anybody know if James Cameron's "Titanic" is gonna get a better DVD? Its one of the best films of all time, and highest grossing movies -but the DVD SUCKS! I know theres got to be a TON of extras they could do.

Beast
07-24-2004, 04:11 PM
Supposedly there is one that is being worked on. It keeps getting rumored, and then nothing happenes with it. I wouldn't be suprised if they were waiting for 2007, for a 10th Anniversary Edition DVD release. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JediTricks
07-25-2004, 09:52 PM
Bad/Badder Santa desparately needs more extras, it's got a few but could use way more.

Hellboy
07-26-2004, 07:03 PM
The Hellraiser 4 Disc Box-Set that comes out in the UK on September 20th sounds pretty sweet. The thing is loaded with tons of extras. I hope Anchor Bay decides to release it stateside someday because we deserve it too. :dis:

If you're interested in the DVD specs and extras just click the link to Fangoria.com

http://www.fangoria.com/news_article.php?id=2584

JON9000
07-26-2004, 10:12 PM
Looks like Disney is putting out a new Black Hole DVD with nothing more than what was on the Anchor Bay release. :cry:

Jayspawn
11-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Anybody hear anything about a better Apollo 13 DVD? Its a great film, the acting is wonderful, the score is amazing but the DVD SUCKS!!!

JON9000
12-03-2004, 12:36 PM
I think we may be stuck until Blue Ray comes out. I'm selling a number of lousy DVD's now in anticipation of upgrading later.

James Boba Fettfield
12-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Judging by the week's earlier announcement, it's probably going to be on HD-DVD for Apollo 13.

The format wars have begun.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2004, 04:04 PM
What was the official format announment? I only caught part of it and it sounded like most if not all of the big players voiced support for 1 particular HD-DVD format which opened the door for them finally to be released at some point. Are we going to see offical support of a competing format?

James Boba Fettfield
12-03-2004, 04:22 PM
This is to clear up any confusion.

There are two upcoming high definition formats being developed by competing hardware manufacturers. One format is Blu-ray. The other format is known as HD-DVD.

Now we have known that the only people backing Blu-ray in the movie business were Sony, because Sony is one of the developers of the technology. Greed and common sense dictates you support what you develop. They have even stated this technology will be in their next video game console, called Playstation 3 at this point.

Sony controls Columbia and they recently (or are in the process of) purchased MGM and their library of films. So Sony and those aforementioned companies who fall under Sony control all will back Blu-ray.

Earlier this week FOUR major studios (Universal, Warner Bros., New Line, and Paramount) all said they will develop for HD-DVD and hope to begin having product out there by holiday season 2005.

What's that leave...Fox and Disney as the other big studios who have not said one way or the other what format they support. Also, the smaller groups like Lions Gate and such have not given word on one format or the other, either.

So yeah, each of the competing formats have some major backers at this point. And we the consumers get screwed.

Hellboy
12-03-2004, 06:21 PM
I've been keeping my eye on the progress of Sony's Blu-ray DVD format and read the HD-DVD announcement earlier this week as well. For anyone who doesn't understand the technology both of these formats use blue lasers, which have shorter wave length than the red lasers used in current DVD equipment, allowing discs to store data at the higher densities needed for high-definition movies and television. HD-DVD is owned by Toshiba and apparently the main reason these four studios are supporting this format over Blu-ray is because its easier to use and cheaper. As we all know cheaper doesn't usually mean better and this seems to be the case here because Blu-ray advocates claim a single-layer disc can hold 25 gigabytes while the HD-DVD standard is 20 gigabytes.

The whole dual format thing is very reminiscent of the VHS vs. Beta format wars of the eighties. Having two competing formats is a big mistake IMO and will only serve to confuse customers and hurt initial sales due to peoples fear of supporting a doomed format. In the end one format will most likely emerge the victor and anybody who didn't jump on the winning side will get burned just like those who supported Sony's superior Betamax format when VHS was adopted by the masses.

Exhaust Port
12-03-2004, 10:25 PM
The irony is that Beta has had a longer, more successful existance than VHS as it's the TV industry standard for storage. Only because VHS was able to lower the player and tape cost first made it the home sector winner even though it wasn't as good as Beta. I believe the cheaper HD disc version will win no matter which is superior.

stillakid
12-04-2004, 12:39 PM
The irony is that Beta has had a longer, more successful existance than VHS as it's the TV industry standard for storage. Only because VHS was able to lower the player and tape cost first made it the home sector winner even though it wasn't as good as Beta. I believe the cheaper HD disc version will win no matter which is superior.

Technically, the home Beta version has been dead for a long time. BetaSP has been the industry workhorse. But DigiBeta has made inroads but it too is doomed as HD looms on the edges.

James Boba Fettfield
12-07-2004, 07:07 PM
Somebody asked about Apollo 13. There's a new edition coming March 29: http://homevideo.universalstudios.com/title.php?titleId=93

Jayspawn
12-07-2004, 09:15 PM
I asked about Apollo 13! Thats great news to hear!!!!

Jayspawn
01-17-2005, 11:46 AM
Has there been update on a Deluxe version of Kill Bill being released. I heard a rumor of a Spring release? Nothing factual yet.

Beast
01-17-2005, 05:50 PM
Looks like there's some progress on the Batman Boxset. It looks like we'll get all four films in a 'Special Edition' boxset. It doesn't sound like the first two films will be extended cuts however, but it sounds like many of the deleted scenes from Forever may make their way back into the film. Many of these scenes were very dark, and also helped the film flow better according to those who have seen the workprints. No news on what if anything will be done with Batman & Robin, but I don't think that film is salvagable even with a ton of deleted scenes. Expect the SE Boxset to show up sometime before 'Batman Begins' opens, likely late April/Early May. :)

Straight from the BATMAN ON FILM site this morning...

Update on the earlier SE Bat-film news from earlier today. A source contacted me and said that Tim Burton recorded his commentary tracks for both his Bat-films while he was working on Wonka. No re-cut of the Burton films, but there will be some work on the soundtrack. However - and this is the part that I really dug - Schumacher is doing a re-cut of BATMAN FOREVER as it will be an extended special edition. Schumacher recorded his commentary tracks while working at Pinewood Studios (PHANTOM)....
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Beast
01-19-2005, 02:45 AM
More info from Batman On Film about the upcoming SE's. Sounds like they're considering something on par to the 'Alien Quadrilogy' boxset. Not sure we need 2-discs for Batman Forever or Batman & Robin, but if they come to pass lets hope they're loaded. Really hoping that the extended Batman Forever comes to pass. The extended cut of Alien 3 helped the film a lot, I sense the same possible here. :)

This comes from a trusted source which comes from their trusted source - sort of how it works sometime. Anyway, he provided me with a bit more info on the upcoming SE's of the first four WB BATMAN films -

• BATMAN and BATMAN RETURNS have been finished for a while now. Tim Burton re-recorded his commentary tracks with a "guest." Seems he thought his original commentary was too boring.

• Regarding those films, they'll look like this: Disc 1 - Remastered picture and sound with Commentary. Disc 2 - Trailers, TV Spots, Vintage footage and a new featurette on the film. BATMAN is expected to get the most treatment with a feature length documentary.

• Our source regarding FOREVER -

"Joel recorded commentary tracks for the theatrical edition along with BATMAN AND ROBIN (Look for a 'special guest' on that track as well). Afterwards Joel decided to ask WB to recut the film back to something that resembles his original edit. WB agreed and gave him a budget to do so. Joel is currently in Burbank working on some alterations to the film.

WB wants to also include the original theater version of the film, Which kind of paints Joel into a corner. You see because they will have to use a process called 'seamless branching.' This works with films like T2 or ALIENS where chunks of the film were simply taken out. In the case of FOREVER entire parts of the film were re-edited. So Joel may be forced to alter the original cutting decisions to keep it possible to seamlessly branch with the theatrical version. But rest assured the extended cut will clock in somewhere around 2 hrs. 35 mins. It just might take place in the order of events the theatrical version presented rather than the shooting script or workprint edit. With the exception of the Two Face escaping scene, Which will come before the credits - meaning we might loose that nifty WB/Batlogo morph.

Joel knows he is considered the devil to some in the Bat-world and wants this to be his redemption. He's going to add as much footage as possible back in. Also some of the effects were not finished in the early workprint and they need to be finished. He has been given a small budget to work with for that. All new effects will be digital. Which with todays technology will look better than most of the CGI back in 1995.

Current title is going to be '10th Anniversary Extended Director's Cut.'"

Our source says that WB is looking into several marketing/release options -

• BATMAN Special Edition with free BATMAN BEGINS ticket in May, with a box set similar to that of the MATRIX Collection in Oct/Nov.

• All four films out separately in May, or in a box set. This solely depends on whether Joel's new cut is finished or not.

• Holding off on all releases until Oct/Nov in a box set without single releases. This also holds hope for a bonus 9th disc.

Now, this ain't gospel here, so take it as "strong" rumor right now. But it sounds great! And I really want to see a new, extended cut of FOREVER.... Nothing is certain right now, Except the fact that these films will be in stores sometime in 2005....
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

JON9000
01-19-2005, 12:23 PM
I hope these are available separately, because I only have use for the Burton films. I don't think Forever can be saved and B&R is worthless. I once saw an interview with Schumacher and it seems to me that he never really understood how to present the character or the brooding environment that is gotham. He went for a neon campy comic instead of a dark, brooding gotham/antihero.

James Boba Fettfield
01-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Option 1 is the best. Put out a Batman SE in May with a ticket and just forget about all of the other films.

The last two free tickets I received from DVD's led to some bad movies. Catwoman (which I vowed to not see, and never did use the coupon) and Alien vs Predator (a terrible waste of a film). I hope that free ticket curse can be broken with Batman Begins. WB can just stick the other 3 films in a vault, like Disney does, just never open it again.

Jayspawn
01-24-2005, 11:39 AM
I'd like to see re-edited versions of Forever and B&R (even though they are nowhere as good as the first two).

Beast
01-26-2005, 11:55 AM
Here's the first look at what may turn out to be the covers for the Batman, Batman Returns, Batman Forever, and Batman & Robin SE DVD's and Slipcover. Look pretty damn nice so far, simple and effective. Hopefully this really does come to pass. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Rocketboy
01-26-2005, 12:20 PM
Nce covers. Clean, simple, and straight forward.

Jayspawn
01-26-2005, 11:46 PM
I love em! Simple, clean, right to the point! I hope they turn out like that.

Jayspawn
02-08-2005, 01:43 AM
SO I dont suppose there is any update on a better version of James Cameron's Titanic?

I've decided to try and track down "A Night To Remember" on DVD but it is out of print. And its a Criterion too!

Beast
02-10-2005, 07:51 PM
SO I dont suppose there is any update on a better version of James Cameron's Titanic?

I've decided to try and track down "A Night To Remember" on DVD but it is out of print. And its a Criterion too!
Ask and you shall recieve:

Here's a big title a lot of you have been waiting for. In fact, one might even call it a titanic title. Yes... we've confirmed with our industry sources that a multi-disc Titanic: Special Collector's Edition is finally in production (and yes, with anamorphic widescreen video). Fox will release it internationally, while Paramount will release it here in the States. According to our sources, the tentative plan calls for having it on store shelves in the 4th Qtr of this year. IF that's the case, we believe that Paramount and Fox would have to make official announcements sometime in the next few months. Stay tuned for more on this as it develops.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
02-11-2005, 10:47 AM
Thats great news JarJar, wherever you got it! I actually broke down yesterday and picked up the regular Titanic ('97) DVD anyways. It was on sale for $7.49 at Circuit City and I couldnt hold out any longer.

Watching the theatrical trailor, theres some scenes not IN the movie itself. Now I really want ot see those!!! But its even better news that a better version is on the way!! I

General_Grievous
02-13-2005, 01:14 AM
This may have been mentioned already, but I think "Bram Stoker's Dracula" deserves better on DVD. All we have now is a barebones DVD. Maybe if they made an all-new special edition, they could edit out Keanu Reeves' bad acting!:D

Wait, who am I kidding? No technology on earth could edit that.

Jayspawn
02-14-2005, 10:57 AM
I talked witha friend of mine last night who was telling be of a multi-disc set of "Kill Bill" rumored for August! Oh I hope thats true!

Jayspawn
02-17-2005, 12:44 AM
Ok, it is true! Looks like Tarantino has Director's Cuts of Kill Bill Volumes 1 & 2 on tap for August! No specific date though.

"To me you're as worthless as a worm fighting an eagle!!!"

Beast
03-05-2005, 11:53 AM
A couple new announcements for movies that deserved better:

Star Trek: Insurrection:
Paramount has just officially announced the DVD release of the 2-disc Star Trek: Insurrection - Special Collector's Edition for 6/7. You'll get anamorphic widescreen video, both Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound, a text commentary by Michael Okuda and Denise Okuda, 7 Production featurettes (including It Takes a Village, Location, Location, Location, The Art of Insurrection, Anatomy of a Stunt, The Story of Insurrection, Making Insurrection and Director's Notebook), 2 Star Trek Universe featurettes (Westmore's Aliens and Star Trek's Beautiful Alien Women), 3 Creating the Illusion featurettes (Shuttle Chase, The Drones and The Duck Blind), 7 deleted scenes (Ru'afo's Facelift, Working Lunch, Flirting, The Kiss, Status: Precarious, Disabling the Injector and Alternate Ending), galleries of storyboards and production photos, the film's teaser and theatrical trailers, plus an original promotional featurette and the Borg Invasion 4-D trailer. We're trying to find out of director Jonathan Frakes has recorded another commentary track as well. No art is yet available, but we'll post it as soon as it is.

The Mask:
New Line Home Entertainment has also announced a new Platinum Series edition of The Mask which stars Jim Carrey. The disc will be available to own from the 17th May, and should retail at around $19.97. The film will boast a new anamorphic widescreen transfer along with both Dolby Digital 5.1 EX and DTS 6.1 ES tracks. Extras will include a commentary with director Chuck Russell, a second commentary with filmmakers and New Line Cinema's Bob Shaye, a Introducing Cameron Diaz featurette, a What Makes Fido Run featurette, a Cartoon Logic featurette and a Return to Edge City featurette. Completing the set will be the deleted scenes featured on the original DVD release. English and Spanish subtitles will also be provided. I'm afraid New Line hasn't released the artwork yet, but we'll bring you that very shortly.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

General_Grievous
03-05-2005, 05:35 PM
I too am looking forward to the Kill Bill multi-disc DVD. Though the only thing that we know about it so far is that the black-and-white sequence in the House of Blue Leaves restaurant in Vol. 1 will have the color restored.

Maybe they'll also restore the deleted scene from the Vol 2 DVD into the movie. I also seem to remember that there was a scene regarding Go Go Yubari's sister that was filmed but ditched in favor of the "Massacre at Two Pines" chapter. Maybe that will be included on this DVD. Also, it will most likely have commentary with Tarantino and Uma Thurman.

Jayspawn
03-07-2005, 10:18 AM
I dont know Grievous, I think the b&w sequence in the "House of Blue Leaves" was supposed to be b&w - just like the "Massacure at Two Pines" sequence.

I heard the missing scene in Volume II was one in the chapel where the Deadly Vipers take out The Bride. I know there is also a longer scene with Budd and Bill.

"So, we'll just see. Wont we." -Budd

James Boba Fettfield
03-07-2005, 10:45 AM
It was supposed to be in color. You can buy the Japanese release of Kill Bill 1 on dvd and that sequence is in full color, unlike our version.

General_Grievous
03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Because of the damn MPAA.:mad:

Jayspawn
03-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Ahh. Well I guess I'll find out when the DVD comes out in a few months (along with Series 2 figures!).

I'm hearing that the Titanic: Collectors Edition DVD will be between 2-4 discs!

Beast
03-26-2005, 01:49 AM
Anyone ask for a better edition of Jaws? :)

Afternoon, folks. We've got an interesting new DVD announcement for you today. Do the words "You're gonna need a bigger boat..." mean anything to you?

Yeah... hot on the heels of CBS's Spring Break Shark Attack (no coincidence I'm sure), Universal has officially announced the DVD release of a Jaws: 30th Anniversary Edition for 6/14 (SRP $22.98). This will be a 2-disc set containing the film in anamorphic widescreen video, with both Dolby Digital and DTS 5.1 audio. The second disc will be all extras (no word yet on what they are). Word is you'll also get something called Jaws: The Commemorative Photo Journal - probably a commemorative book. This 2-disc set will also be available in a full frame version, and it looks as though a single-disc Jaws: Anniversary Collector's Edition version will also be available in full frame and anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 and anamorphic widescreen with DTS 5.1 (SRP $14.98). So let's get this straight... there are 5 DVD versions in all. 2-disc Wide (DD/DTS), 2-disc Full (DD/DTS), 1-disc Full (DD), 1-disc Wide (DD) and 1-disc Wide (DTS). Whew.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jayspawn
03-26-2005, 09:28 AM
I'm happy with the Jaws DVD that we have. The extras are great! But hey, an even better one is good!

JON9000
03-26-2005, 12:13 PM
I am satisfied with my 25th anniversary Jaws. If I ever buy another copy, it will be on next generation technology and after I have spent money upgrading my television.

Hellboy
03-27-2005, 02:14 AM
I feel the same way, I'm pretty happy with the version I have. I've been limiting my DVD purchases to just must have titles and most of those are new releases. Occasionally I'll upgrade a movie if its something really special like the Alien Quadrilogy or the Matrix box set but for the most part I'm holding off for HD-DVD or Blu-ray before replacing most of my favorite titles.

Beast
04-10-2005, 02:23 AM
News on The Fly SE:

Cronenberg (and Brundle-fly) lovers rejoice! If you've been holding out for a special edition of The Fly, you're time has come, and we've got some details that will have you falling to pieces. (Make sure you put those pieces in little jars and show 'em to loved ones.)

Fox Home Entertainment previously released David Cronenberg's remake-done-right as a double-bill disc in 2002. They rightfully paired it up with Chris Walas' follow-up and, at the time, it was about as dry at Stathis Borans' personality in the way of bonus material. Shortly after its release the studio came around to recognizing a special edition was needed and production on a new presentation began with producer David Prior (Fight Club, Blade II) at the helm.

Prior dropped us a line and gave us an update and it appears that work is nearly done on The Fly: Special Edition. Some time ago Cronenberg was quoted as saying that he wouldn't lend a commentary to a future disc release unless he had transfer approval. Apparently there was some confusion and Cronenberg was commenting on his disapproval of an early VHS transfer Fox had in their hands and not the sweet transfer on Fox's double-bill DVD.

That transfer was screened for Cronenberg and Fly cinematographer Mark Irwin. Both approved of it without any changes (so the SE will feature the same transfer) and Prior was subsequently able to record a Cronenberg commentary! The director, however, will not be part of Prior's 100-minute plus documentary Fear of the Flesh which will also be featured on the disc. Prior tells us Cronenberg was too involved with work on his latest feature History of Violence.

"The really good news is we've got the monkey-cat sequence," Prior says of one of the film's famous deleted scenes to be featured as part of the disc's extras. "I wrote Cronenberg an impassioned letter, basically begging him for his blessing. I don't know if that had anything to do with his decision or not, but he gave his okay to use it."

Look for The Fly: SE to land in stores this Halloween.
MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

James Boba Fettfield
04-10-2005, 06:39 PM
I like hearing that news, Binks.

Better watch out, he eats chocolate bars.

Jayspawn
04-14-2005, 11:29 AM
You know, "The Fugutive" w/ Harrison Ford and Tommy Lee Jones deserves a better DVD. The one out now is pretty bland. I was watching it yeaterday and couldnt help but notice that Julianne Moore has one of the first names in the opening credits but has one a few minuets (if that) screen time.

Beast
04-14-2005, 11:46 AM
I don't know... I think the Fugative SE that came out a while back was pretty good. Commentary, Extras, Trailer or two. Nothing major, but a nice treatment. :)

JON9000
04-14-2005, 12:33 PM
I think we could use a better version of Wall Street. The sound on the current version leaves something to be desired. It was only ten bucks, though.

Hellboy
04-14-2005, 05:08 PM
I think we could use a better version of Wall Street. The sound on the current version leaves something to be desired. It was only ten bucks, though.

I love this film, one of only 3 Oliver Stone films that I actually enjoyed. :cool:

I agree the sound is a pretty big disappointment on the current bargain bin release and we had to wait what seemed like forever just to get that one so I'm not holding out to much hope for a better version. :dis:

Jayspawn
07-13-2005, 10:25 AM
Hey, wasnt there a set of Director's Cut Batman movies coming out??? All I see is the plain versions!

Where did this go JarJar?

General_Grievous
07-13-2005, 10:39 AM
Yeah, I'm angry about that too. I see the '89 Batman for $7 at most stores and I keep saying to myself, "Just wait. The special edition will be out soon". Wasn't it supposed to be released in conjunction with Batman Begins? And that was a month ago! Stop screwing around and get your act together, Warner Bros! You were quick to rush out the damn Matrix movies!

Rocketboy
07-13-2005, 11:19 AM
I'm just glad they are finally releasing a new version of Steve Martin's The Jerk later this month.
The old was full screen, with no special features.
Not sure what the special features are on the new one (if any), but at least it'll have a better transfer and WIDESCREEN.

Why the hell would anyone want fullscreen anyway...

Jayspawn
07-14-2005, 09:48 AM
Yeah! And the Matrix Boxed Set is awesome!

I cant wait for the 4-disc Titanic set!

But in the mean time, where is the Batman Boxed set????

Rocketboy
07-14-2005, 10:13 AM
There is one, but it's just the 4 regular versions of the movies, called "The Batman Legacy."

Jayspawn
07-14-2005, 10:16 AM
Yeah, but that collection stinks! Been there, seen that.

Jayspawn
09-06-2005, 09:24 PM
This is an odd request, but since we're finally getting a better version of Titanic on DVD (cant wait!) how about releasing "Raise the Titanic" ???

I always thought it was a neat film and its not at all true, but it is fun anyways. I'd love to get it even if the features were slim.

UKWildcat
09-06-2005, 11:04 PM
I searched this thread and was shocked that no one mentioned Braveheart and The Last of the Mohicans. Those are two of my favorite movies that definitely deserve better releases.

Hellboy
09-07-2005, 12:57 AM
I searched this thread and was shocked that no one mentioned Braveheart and The Last of the Mohicans. Those are two of my favorite movies that definitely deserve better releases.

Two of my personal favorite films as well UKW. :thumbsup:

I'm actually pretty happy with both of these DVDs though. Sure you can always dig up more extras and put together a special edition or something but as far as the presentation goes I think they're both reference quality. Both have Anamorphic transfers and the sound is amazing on both especially the DTS soundtrack of Mohicans.

UKWildcat
09-09-2005, 06:43 PM
Both have Anamorphic transfers and the sound is amazing on both especially the DTS soundtrack of Mohicans.

I agree 100%. Both have good transfers and sound quality... But...

I would still love to see multiple disc editions come out with fancier packaging though. A 3-disc version of Braveheart would suffice. I know there has to be tons of extras out there for that movie. A 2-disc version of Mohicans would be nice, since there probably aren't as many features.

Of course I ask myself...
Would I really watch all of the features? No
Would I buy the new editions? Yes, definitely :D

Rogue II
09-09-2005, 07:55 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Flash Gordon coming to DVD. How can you go wrong with a Queen soundtrack and a brief appearance by the guy who played Jek Porkins?

Well, and all the cheesy dialog was great, too.

UKWildcat
09-09-2005, 11:55 PM
Another movie I think deserves a better DVD release is Raising Arizona. Raising Arizona is another one of my favorite movies and it doesn't even have an anamorphic transfer. I could also use some extras there too, especially a commentary. The Cohen Bros. are amazing BTW. :yes:

Also, on The Last Of The Mohicans, I would be interested to see what the Theatrical cut looks like, since the DVD release was the Directors cut.

JON9000
06-26-2006, 06:56 PM

In my excitement over the approaching Superman Returns, I got Superman II on DVD. Man, does it suck. Not even in dolby digital. Compared to the 1st movie, it sounds like you are watching it in another room. I hadn't seen it in probably 15 years, and unfortunately, the effects are really starting to show their age. I can live with that, but I really want a decent sound mix

Devo
07-06-2006, 09:56 PM
In my excitement over the approaching Superman Returns, I got Superman II on DVD. I hadn't seen it in probably 15 years, and unfortunately, the effects are really starting to show their age.

Not just the effects in fairness. Certain dialogue, the battle sequences (superman 'caging' the mute villain on top of a building - how or why would that be a problem for a super powered kryptonian??), little things like Zod not knowing what water is - YOU LIVED ON AN ICE WORLD!!!, key parts of the storyline - such as Superman giving up his powers with barely a thought as to what it could mean, Lois saying nothing to stop him - isn't she supposed to be in love with Superman rather than mere Clark?? Thats certainly what the film implies up to then and yet she lets him give up his powers with not a word. Furthermore he gets them back easily off screen when it had been made clear earlier that there was no going back. Why include that line in the film when quite clearly there was a way to go back.

All-in-all Superman:The movie has aged better although not perfectly by any means. The most consistently watchable part of them is Reeve. It would have been great to see him play the role with modern standards in costume, special effects and more seriousness to the villains and storylines.

JON9000
10-10-2006, 11:44 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Flash Gordon coming to DVD. How can you go wrong with a Queen soundtrack and a brief appearance by the guy who played Jek Porkins?

Well, and all the cheesy dialog was great, too.

Man, Region 2 got a FLASH GORDON SE set and America is left out of the picture. Regional DVD players suck. And now I find out that the new formats are regionalizing as well. :upset:

2-1B
10-10-2006, 07:35 PM
Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi theatrical DVDs.

UKWildcat
10-11-2006, 03:16 AM
Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi theatrical DVDs.

I agree 100%.

2-1B
10-11-2006, 06:44 AM
I don't even have them, it's just what I hear. :D

JON9000
03-06-2007, 05:55 PM
The "Remastered" edition of BLADERUNNER still has super-lame 2.0 audio. :upset:

El Chuxter
03-06-2007, 06:01 PM
Batman: The Movie. The final theatrical version cut out all the scenes where it revealed Joker, Catwoman, Riddler, and Penguin were all working for me, and some scenes where I beat the crap out of all but Catwoman. Catwoman, I had an extended love scene with.

The final version of the film is totally unacceptable. The Joker is just a twit with white makeup, and Penguin? Don't get me started! Since when is obesity a proper gimmick for a villain?

THIS I COMMAND!!

JimJamBonds
03-07-2007, 12:21 AM
I don't know if this has been mentioned or not but Chasing Amy is quite bar bones. Although the one good thing about the commentary is at the start Kever's says "f dvd!"

UKWildcat
03-07-2007, 12:46 AM
Another movie I think deserves a better DVD release is Raising Arizona. Raising Arizona is another one of my favorite movies and it doesn't even have an anamorphic transfer. I could also use some extras there too, especially a commentary. The Cohen Bros. are amazing BTW. :yes:

Also, on The Last Of The Mohicans, I would be interested to see what the Theatrical cut looks like, since the DVD release was the Directors cut.

I still wanna see both of these already. The Raising Arizona is barebones and non-anamorphic. A commentary track would kill. I've been dying to see some Last of the Mohicans extras forever now. :(

Us horror buffs are getting some excellent releases soon. Phantasm being the main one. I can't wait to get the new version. Phantasm III as well. Re-Animator (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/re-animator-limited-edition.html) being another. Sure the 2-disc Millennium Ed. is nice, but the new version is super sweet too. The new transfer, extras and the green syringe pen seal the deal. I'll definitely double dip on Re-Animator and keep my original Millennium Edition.

It is also rumored that there is going to be a new version of Return of the Living Dead. AWWWW MAN! I'll be all over that one. :thumbsup:

I'll also be double dipping on The 40 Year Old Virgin 2-disc that comes out in May. :thumbsup:

UKWildcat
12-10-2007, 12:24 AM

Old news now, but we are finally getting a remastered 2-Disc Special Collector's Edition of Braveheart. Link here (http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/braveheart2.html). Due out December 18th, definitely upgrading this title. :thumbsup:

It is also rumored that there is going to be a new version of Return of the Living Dead. AWWWW MAN! I'll be all over that one.

Held off one this one. Sports the same transfer as the earlier version, and lacks extras. Not worth the upgrade IMO. :(