PDA

View Full Version : "Supreme Power" anyone?

JediCole
11-20-2003, 04:17 PM
I am reprinting this from the forums of the Dallas ComiCon website. They are not nearly as well frequented as SSG, especially between shows, so I thought I'd give these thoughts some new life. Though I've read the third and even fourth issues since this was originally written, I decided to reproduce it in tis orignal form, minus the shameless plug for our store:

Has anyone else here read Supreme Power? J. Michael Strazynski (probably misspelled) is giving Marvel's Squadron Supreme the kind of treatment that Miracle Man (Marvel Man) got under Alan Moore! And since the Squadron was simply a Marvel rip-off of the Justice League, he's really getting to play with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and Aquaman (so far) in ways that DC would never allow.

This title does bear Mature Audiences labeling, and with good reason. So far this title has pulled no punches and takes a more realistice approach to exploring the lives of "super-heroes", without the kind of cynical slant that Alan Moore gives to this approach. The first issues appear to be more about exposition, introducing each of the principle characters and building toward whatever is in the works for them once we get to know them. The third issue just came out this week, though I've not had a chance to read it yet. Keep an eye on this one, it looks to be a classic in the making.

El Chuxter
11-20-2003, 04:20 PM
As much as everyone's been recommending it, I'll have to take a look. I first heard about it after the first two issues became impossible to find, but Marvel's been pretty good about collecting their more high-profile books in paperback form (and quickly, too), so I expect the first Supreme Power collection in the next few months.

jjreason
11-20-2003, 05:46 PM
It's been dynomite so far. I love the more "conspiracy theory" background JMS has introduced for Hyperion - who's uniform notably resembles Miracleman's I noticed. We've only briefly seen the Flash and Batman characters, but they promise to be very interesting. Eternal Padawan may have said it best: "This book is going to rock when all the characters meet - in issue 50."

Awesome so far.

JediCole
11-27-2003, 09:51 PM
It is confirmed, the first six issues (the initial story arc) will be collected into a trade paperback to ship in March, 2004. I've read all of the issues so far, but do not have a copy of #1 to call my own, so I am very much looking forward to the TP. Collected editions like this are preferable to me for rereading limited series and story arcs that I particularly love.

jjreason
11-28-2003, 12:36 AM
Great comics are fine by themselves, but really great stories are way better when you absorb them all at once. Preacher, Sandman, Sin City, Dark Knight - you name it. Having the originals is nice, but reading the story all at once is the only way to fly.

jjreason
03-22-2004, 04:36 PM
The series is now up to issue 8. Anyone still tagging along? It's been interesting, but I have a gripe. Oddly enough, it's the materials they're making this book with that have raised my ire. This book commands a premium price, and do you think I could find a copy (of #7) that even came close to a VF grade let alone NM? I'm not THAT picky, but I mean come one - we have to pay cover price, no one is going to charge us the %50-60 a VF copy SHOULD cost just because they whole stack of the damned things comes in banged up shape. I managed to find one that was fine on the outside, so I bought it. When I got home, the centerfold was detached at the bottom staple! I just can't win. Make it on the regular material, or go all out and make it nice like 1602. Good thing the story and art are worth the price of admission on this book, because paying extra for gloss on the cover and crappy interior quality is like getting kicked in the nads. :mad: