PDA

View Full Version : What...the?

LTBasker
11-20-2003, 10:23 PM
I was scoping out Wal-Mart yesterday and was walking by some end caps, on one cap they had some special new Hotwheel stuff, what made this so special is you get a bonus item in them: micro-machine cars! They're very clearly a take on micro-machines, they're the perfect size and whatnot.

This is even more wearing because when watching a sports thing in a sponsor thing before it cut to commercial it said "This brought to you by micro-machines."

I must've missed something.. I didn't know Hasbro was doing anything with micros anymore? I can't see them as being in league with Mattel on this either, did Mattel realize what potential MM's have and do their own?

I'm so confused. :(

JediTricks
11-20-2003, 11:08 PM
Hasbro has been putting out Micro Machines for the better part of this year, only "normal" vehicles, and most of them geared towards the stunt-launcher thingy and the recent playset.

Mattel has been pushing those Atomix Hot Wheels MM-scale cars for over a year, they have several different types of playsets, the most recent of which are nifty-looking canisters. However, even with all that, and the vehicle multi-packs, the Atomix line seems to get very little respect on the car aisle, due to bad marketing IMO.

Playmates has their own version of MMs out too, another one over a year old I think, called "Speedeez". These have a ball-bearing built into the undercarriage, which really doesn't do it for me at all, but different strokes. I have seen 1 commercial for 'em, it wasn't good. ;)

Then there's a different take on the MM craze, "Phat Boyz", which actually seem to finally be taking off after a year+ of relatively slow sales. The line is very stylized wide cars, an interesting different approach.

LTBasker
11-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Funky, I actually saw that Playmates commercial for the Hummer H2 "Micro" playset which I actually saw months ago and it just hit me last time that they were micro.

So it sounds like all Galoob wannabes are doin pretty badly, not really suprising.

JediTricks
11-23-2003, 08:30 PM
I don't know if they're doing badly, but they're certainly not on fire like they were when I was a kid (the first 2 years of Micro Machines were the BIG TIME). I think an overall lack of marketing really hurts the concept, yet even with that, it's out there still doing some sort of business.

vulcantouch
12-02-2003, 11:50 PM
af heads: the closest i've seen to ep2 figs are hallmark clonetroop ornaments; they're a bit larger but nicely detailed ;) nearby was a Trek Nemesis Scorpion ornament which, Holy Design Incest, i almost overlooked cuz it looks so much like a Batvehicle :rolleyes: but you diecast-scale collectors might likee.
i'd been Wondering when someone would mention phat boys here; their colors & distorted proportions almost make them look like sci-fi mm cuzzins, as we
westside VaTos might say :crazed:
vt

LTBasker
12-03-2003, 12:31 AM
Yea the scorpian fighter also has af-scale (IIRC) Picard and Data inside, though I doubt they'd be in anyway removeable.