PDA

View Full Version : Clooney Lines Up 'Magnum P.I.' Movie Role?

darthzirock
11-21-2003, 02:04 AM
Hollywood heartthrob George Clooney will reportedly play TV private investigator Magnum PI in a big screen version of the 80s hit show. Pals of the actor say Clooney is desperate to take on the role made famous on the small screen by Tom Selleck between 1980 and 1988. They claim the mustachioed Magnum completes a "holy trinity" of roles Clooney has secretly coveted; "He's wanted to play three characters since he started acting - Danny Ocean in Ocean's Eleven, Hannibal in The A-Team and Magnum. He's had the A-Team movie in the works for a while now, so he's been chasing this one really hard." Hollywood sources say the film, which will begin shooting next year, will feature the brand new $800,000 Ferrari Enzo sports car in place of Magnum's classic Ferrari 308 Gts. But the identities of who will play Magnum's side-kicks Theodore 'TC' Calvin, Orville 'Rick' Wright and Jonathan Quayle Higgins III - played by Roger E Mosley, Larry Manetti and John Hillerman in the TV original - are being kept top secret. Manetti recently slammed plans to recreate the show without its original cast as "an outrage".

Sheesh, is every blasted TV show from the '80s bound for big-screen rehashes? Are we in for Jack Black as Al Bundy and Jennifer Garner as Peg in Married ... With Children? Will some young yenta be prepped as the new Fran Fine in The Nanny? There have already been rumors about a Miami Vice movie, but I'm more interested ... no, I can't lie! I'm not interested in seeing any '80s TV series resurrected as a mega-budgeted flop!

derek
11-22-2003, 10:39 AM
i have no interest in seeing this movie, but what's wrong with tom selleck? why isn't he being cast as Magnum PI?

this movie will bomb.

Sith Lord 0498
11-22-2003, 01:05 PM
i have no interest in seeing this movie, but what's wrong with tom selleck? why isn't he being cast as Magnum PI?

Good point. It's not like he looks too old to play the part yet. After all, if Harrison Ford can still go for a fourth Indy outing, then Tom Selleck can still take on the Magnum role.

mrmiller
11-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Sheesh, is every blasted TV show from the '80s bound for big-screen rehashes? Are we in for Jack Black as Al Bundy and Jennifer Garner as Peg in Married ... With Children?

Dude! That would be off the hook. Great Idea. I hope someone from FOX is reading this. Whoo hoo!

=MATT=

JediTricks
11-23-2003, 08:08 PM
I don't buy Clooney in the role of Hannibal Smith for The A-Team, certainly Face but not Hannibal. However, with this idea of Magnum, I can sorta see how his personality would fit with the character. But I think it's a big mistake to even try to do this movie straight-up, maybe a rip-off of it might work, but as an actual incarnation of "Magnum PI" or the "A-Team" where you have most of the casts still alive and fairly vibrant as those characters in the audience's minds, I don't think it's a good call.

darthzirock
11-24-2003, 02:56 AM
Dude! That would be off the hook. Great Idea. I hope someone from FOX is reading this. Whoo hoo!

=MATT=

Actually, I'm fairly certain that the execs at Fox are illiterate ... :eek:

JediTricks
11-25-2003, 12:35 AM
That's why they work at Fox, it's easy to spell. ;)