PDA

View Full Version : Lack of FEMALE figures next year? Many more than usual this year...

Tycho
11-22-2003, 03:28 AM
I was noticing that there has yet to be ANY lady Star Wars characters slated in the line-up for next year.

This year we had the most ever, 13 out of about 60 figures (I think):

Asajj Ventress
Padme Tatooine
Padme Wedding
Padme Droid Factory
Bariss Offee
Aayla Secura
Aay Vida
Ashla (with Jempa)
WA-7 (if she counts since she's a droid)
Princess Leia re-release
Depa Billaba
Yaddle
Shu Mai

Last year we had 8 out of nearly 60 figures (I think):

Padme Arena
Padme Pilot
Tusken Mother
Shaak-Ti
Luminara Undulli
Taun We
Zam Wessel Sneak Peek
Zam Wessel

Are we going to see any more ladies made in 2004?

Here are 17 I thought of.....

Some ideas: (3 per year on Padme is about right - though I'd buy more!)

Padme Senator dress from Palpatine's office
Padme Orange Handmaiden dress from TPM
Padme Nightgown (Bounty Hunter attack)

Baltar Swan (Asian female Jedi - Arena Battle)
Hermione Bagwa (Dexter's human waitress girl)
Victoria's Outlander Girl (human Nightclub patron)
Tonbuck Toora (Separatist)
Darra (?) - Hee-ya! Jedi girl, Arena Battle
Corde - Assassination Target
Dorme - Padme's aide
Gragga -SwokesSwokes chubba saleswoman - TPM
Sly Moore (supposedly confirmed), Palpatine's aide

Princess Leia Endor Gear - removeable helmet, poncho, holster.
Princess Leia Bespin (supposedly confirmed)
Princess Leia - Recovery Room (end of ESB - so needed!)
Shasha Teil (Ishi Tibb, Jabba's Palace)
Yarna dal Gargan (Jabba's fat dancer)

Can you think of any more?

Battle Droid
11-22-2003, 04:01 AM
Tey How - Trade Federation Droid Control Ship Pilot.
Rep Teers - Gungan Council Representive.
Jocasta Nu - Jedi Archives Librarian.
Beru Whitesun - Lars Homestead.
Queen Jamillia - Queen of Naboo.
Sola Naberrie - Padme Amidala's Sister.
Jobal Naberrie - Padme Amidala's Mother.

2-1B
11-22-2003, 01:00 PM
Yarna ! ! ! :)

LTBasker
11-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Well Imperial Captive Leia is getting rerereleased in the Hall of Fame collection, so theres one if they're released in 2004. Isn't Sly Moore also on the list of 2004 figures or has she yet to be confirmed?

Beast
11-22-2003, 02:19 PM
Sly Moore hasn't been officially confirmed, but folks from Galactic Hunter knows she's been sculpted for ages. She was originally supposed to appear in the Saga line in 2002. And she's finally supposedly coming in the 'Senate' wave, or whatever they end up calling it this year, along with Wookie Senator Yarua. And Princess Leia: Bespin is supposed to be in a 'Bespin' wave. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
11-22-2003, 02:21 PM
I put (confirmed) next to Sly Moore on my list above. I'm not counting on it, but it's probable.

Great list BattleDroid!

I have some questions:

Is Tey How female? The voice sort of sounds that way, but with Niemoidians its hard to tell. Nute Gunray whines like a girl all the time ;)

Rep Teers never speaks, but I gathered the Gungans were a patriarichal society, and that all Boss Nass' rep council would be bombad males.

How could I forget these, though!

Jocasta Nu - Jedi Archives Librarian. (I've heard her confirmed before)
Beru Whitesun - Lars Homestead. (A 3-pack would do the Lars justice!)
Queen Jamillia - Queen of Naboo. (yes! I want her too)
Sola Naberrie - Padme Amidala's Sister. (I have trouble figuring they'll do her)
Jobal Naberrie - Padme Amidala's Mother. (I have troulbe with her, too).

The Naberries are not essential to the story, and even cut out. Rumors say they might make an E3 appearance, but who can say? Right now there's other figures with higher priority.

Great additions to the list BattleDroid! :)

Kidhuman
11-22-2003, 02:28 PM
How about Rabe. She was in a fans choice poll, so why not make her? I voted for her and I think it would make a cool figure. Other than her, I belive that the ones Tycho and Battle Droid have covered pretty much all of em.

Beast
11-22-2003, 02:29 PM
Rep Teers is indeed a female. you can tell by the thinner beak on her, in comparison to the male gungans. :)

And while we've had a Hoth Wave already announced, perhaps one of these years we'll get Toryn Farr. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
11-22-2003, 02:36 PM
JarJar, I had no idea you were looking at the female Gungans so closely.

Rep Teers is a lady, huh? Did you want a date?

Beast
11-22-2003, 03:45 PM
LOL. Me and Rep Teers go way back, why do you think I was banished from Otoh Gunga in the first place. The clumsy thing is just an excuse. ;) :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

TheDarthVader
11-22-2003, 03:57 PM
I would buy a female gungan! I was hoping that they would make a gungan "council member". You know, the ones that wear the elaborate costumes and have the cool head dresses. The ones beside Boss Nass when he is laying the law down on JJB.

I would buy any padme figures, leia figures, or any more female figures that Hasbro makes. I am hoping that we see more females in 2004. You are right Tycho...we saw many female figures in 2003.

YARNA YARNA YARNA YARNA YARNA!!!!!!

darthzirock
11-22-2003, 05:40 PM
I was noticing that there has yet to be ANY lady Star Wars characters slated in the line-up for next year.

This is a problem will all boy-oriented action figure lines, not just Star Wars. The thinking at toy companies is that, traditionally, boys aren't interested in action figures of female characters, because they consider them "dolls" and boys don't want to play with "dolls." Remember, most figure lines are still aimed at the kiddies, despite the ever-increasing pressance of adult-aged figure collectors. This thinking on the part of the toy companies dates all the way back to the 1960s and '70s, when Mego toys put out the first 8-inch action figures of Marvel and DC comics heroes and villains. Batman, Superman, and Spider-Man sold like crazy, but Wonder Woman and Supergirl sat on the shelves collecting dust. (Only after the Linda Carter Wonder Woman TV-series debuted did a Wonder Woman figure of her sell fairly well.)

Although Star Wars revolutionized action figures in 1978, Princess Leia figures were not terribly popular with the kiddies. Leia 3-3/4" figures were always short-packed, and the 12-inch Leia sold horribly--possibly because she was usually stocked in with the Barbies instead of over in the boys' section with the 12" Lukes and Vaders. Throughout the vintage Star Wars line, Princess Leia figures were almost always short-packed, and there were far fewer versions of her than most of the other characters.

When Star Wars was resurrected by Kenner in 1995, the same thinking still applied--boys don't want to play with action figures of girl characters because they are "dolls." This thinking was starting to change somewhat, as more girls wanted to play with "boy" toys like G.I. Joe and Masters of the Universe figures. Also, the inclusion of girls as part of the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers TV-show and toy line helped to bring about some breaking down of "gender barriers" in toy lines.

As adult toy collectors and the continued infiltratioin of girls into boy's toy lines has continued, a concession towards adding more females into action figure lines has occurred. Star Wars has seen an increase in the pressence of female figures, especially as more female characters were introduced into the storylines either via the Prequels or the Expanded Universe materials. This has been true of other toy lines, but not to as great an extent as Star Wars--as collectors of Masters of the Universe can tell you, just because they made Teela and Evil-Lyn figures doesn't mean that everyone can find them!

For the 2004 Star Wars toy line, the emphasis is on the Original Trilogy. Specifically, it seems that more obscure/background characters are being made at long last. As a result, less females are getting made. This might also reflect the fact that Shaak Ti, Luminara Unduli, and Padme figures still litter the shelves of many retail outlets, sadly reinforcing the old notion that "female figures don't sell!" Asajj Ventress seems to be flying off the shelves, as are Ayy Vida and Lars Homestead Padme; but these are still new figures, Hasbro will easily rationalize. Once the newness wears off, these could well be the next pegwarmers, they will claim. It's highly doubtful, based on the level of demand for them, but Hasbro will feel it's better to play it "safe."

While it's good to bring up this topic in these forums and thereby, possibly, lighting a fire under Hasbro to add more females into next year's toyline, I think it's reasonable to expect that we'll see less females this year than in previous years. However, that will change in just one year, I'll wager, with the release of the Episode III figures.

Tycho
11-22-2003, 07:26 PM
Great post, Darthzirock!

A lot to consider.

I do think that as boys start to take an interest in girls, they are attracted to girls that do more, i.e. "kick butt" like Charlie's Angels. It can be sexy, like Laura Croft.

For younger kids, to which this argument doesn't apply, they still do notice realism in SW, and seek to match it in the toy line. Just like we want all the background extras and different kinds of Imperial Officers, kids know the diversity in the universe only continues if about 50% of the population are females (it's really 52 in humans on earth, I've heard). Well, there would be something odd about a lack of ladies in a realistic SW universe, and any realistic diorama with the action figures.

Women in the SW universe are:

Senators - Padme Amidala
Sisters - Leia Skywalker
Mothers - Shmi Skywalker
Queens - Queen Jamilla
waitresses - Hermione Bagwa
Jedi Knights - Aayla Secura
mercenaries - Shasha Teil
smugglers- Mirrex Terrick
assassins - Guri
bounty hunters - Zam Wessel
killers - Aurra Sing
shop keepers - Gragga
political advisors - Sly Moore
secretaries - Sei Teria (another one for the list)
soldiers - Captain of the Radiant VII (another one for the list)
droids - WA-7
Council Members - Rep Teers
revolutionary leaders - Mon Mothma
Treasonists - Shu Mai
Sith - Asajj Ventress
children - Ashla
slaves - Aimee
handmaidens - Sabe
Personal Assistants - Dorme
Decoys - Corde
Dancers - Oola
Aunts - Beru Whitesun-Lars
Daughters - Jaina Solo
Special Operatives - Mara Jade

And much more.

It's true that to have a well-balanced, realistic collection, we need Hasbro to bring on the women!

darthzirock
11-22-2003, 09:36 PM
Tycho, I've had a lot of time to think about this subject. Over a year ago I prepared an article for Femme Fatales magazine about collecting female action figures from sci-fi/horror/fantasy-based films/comics/video games. I even interviewed SirSteve and Jeff over at Figures.com for the article. Unfortunately, Femme Fatales was sold before it could publish it, and the new editor wasn't interested in it.

I've been interested in collecting the hard-to-find females in male-oriented toy lines for over a decade now. Even toy lines that I don't normally collect, like Power Rangers, Masters of the Universe, Batman, G.I. Joe, Superman, Justice League, Spider-Man, X-Men, etc., I'll get the female figures.

With Star Wars, since I've been collecting the figures since Day One, I try to get every basic figure that comes out, including the females. (By the way, as a droid, Guri technically isn't "female"--she's just designed to replicate the look. Another popular "female" droid is TPM's TC-14.) Since I was a teenager when Kenner's first SW figures came out, I had no qualms about collecting figures of Princess Leia. In fact, I was always disappointed that there weren't Mon Mothma or Slave Leia figures in the vintage Kenner line. (Of course, the animated Droids and Ewoks lines had female figures, but I don't count them as part of the Kenner SW line.)

Today, not only does Hasbro have to factor in the wants of adult collectors of the Star Wars figures, but they must also seriously consider that today's children are far more sophisticated than those of nearly 30 years ago. Today's kids not only are less gender-phobic, but they are far more aware of the presence of the opposite sex in both the real world and in entertainment. Boys presented with a play scenario that didn't even acknowledge the existence of females would be dismissed as unrealistic, if not downright silly. Plus, girls are now encouraged to get in there and mix it up with the boys, rather than just go off on their own and stage tea parties. Girls also have far more active role models than in previous generations, whether it's Serena Williams or Lara Croft or Justice League's Hawkgirl.

If anyone's interested in reading my unpublished article on female action figures, "Pulchritude in Plastic," it's available online at The Female Figure 3 (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/thefemalefigure3/files/) Yahoo! group. You must be a member of the group in order to read it, but if you put in your application message that you are a member of the SirSteve's forums, I'll be sure that you are granted membership.