PDA

View Full Version : Is it or is it not a figure? You decide.

LusiferSam
11-23-2003, 02:09 AM
There are 96 carded figures (16 more if your a Droids and Ewoks collect) that I think we can all agree on as being Star Wars action figures. But what about the rest like Blue Snaggletooth or the Probot? What are they and where do they fit? Why ask this question? One, because I could find no thread like this and two we seem to discusses this in no organized manner, so I thought I'd give it a shot. I'm not looking for a definitive list, but just an open discussion. First a couple of formalities: If it's a figure, figure-like, or might be consisted a figure somebody we'll talk about it, but no prototypes or variations (depending on your option there may be an expiation here). Next your not voting on anything, just giving your opinion. If I forget or ignore something tell me and I'll add it. I'll go line by line (rather than wave by wave) and wait about a week between lines. And please excuse my poor spelling and grammar.
So that's get started with the Star Wars line. The items are:

Three Legged R2-D2

(name your own droid)

The R2 build-in the X-Wing

Dianoga

Dewback

Blue Snaggletooth

Bel-Cam Jos
11-23-2003, 04:50 PM
In my opinion, a figure is a carded action figure, or one that came in a playset like the Cantina, Cloud City, Hoth, etc. ones, or in a Kenner box or mail in offer. It must be a separate sculpt, so that includes Blue Snaggs. Variations are differences in color, accessories, or packaging (but this last aspect doesn't impact the figure itself, except for Death Squad Commander and Star Destroyer Commander). The "extras" aren't figures, but creatures, robots, or parts (dianoga, probot, "stuck-in" X-Wing R2-D2, etc.).

Variations are:
Jawa (vinyl/cloth)
Han (small/big head)
Bespin Luke (yellow/blond hair)
Jedi Luke (blue/green saber)
Bespin Leia (red/flesh neck)
IG-88 (silver/gray)
Etc.
Etc.

And Droids and Ewoks toys are separate lines of figures, IMHO.

My $.02 :greedy:

LusiferSam
11-23-2003, 11:44 PM
Three legged R2: I'm incline to say this not a figure. First the Droid Factory playset is really an EU playset in my opinion. Second this R2 comes in pierces and you can use the same to build many different droids. And third it just doesn't feel like a figure to me.

(name your our droid): See the reasons above.

The R2 built into the X-Wing: No this is not a figure in any way, shape or form. Its part of a vehicle and no more.

Dianoga: I've thought of the Dianoga as more of an accessory rather than a figure. There's very little action about this one. But if someone were to ask me to describe it I'd said its a figure.

Dewback: The Dewback is not a figure. Other figures are meant to ride the dewback there for its not a figure in my book.

Blue Snaggletooth: Yes, this is a figure. In the past I've thought it was a variation, but now that I have one that's changed. Its a very different figure from the red Snaggletooth, so I don't think its a variation. Him came with a playset (of sorts) like many other figures and has arms and legs like a regular figure. The only thing is he didn't come on a card, so why should that be held a against him?

2-1B
11-24-2003, 02:24 AM
I see Blue Snags as a variation. Running change just like Bespin Leia or Bespin Lando or even the Han Solo head variation.

Bel-Cam, why do you classify Han as a variation when the whole head is a different sculpt?

evenflow
11-24-2003, 12:21 PM
The Probot is just as much of a figure as is Jabba the Hutt. I think that the Wampa, Taun Taun, Dianoga, Dewback, 3 legged R2, wind-up R2, Droids, and Ewoks are all part of the line. They are all figures. Blue Snaggletooth is a variation.

Bel-Cam Jos
11-24-2003, 08:19 PM
I see Blue Snags as a variation. Running change just like Bespin Leia or Bespin Lando or even the Han Solo head variation.

Bel-Cam, why do you classify Han as a variation when the whole head is a different sculpt?
His body is the same, that's why. The reason why the head changed was to make him more in balance. Blue Snaggs was taller and in a different costume.

stillakid
11-25-2003, 12:26 AM
A figure is a figure is a figure, no matter what kind of vessel it ships in. So whether it comes on a card, in a box (with a ship or playset), or in a plastic bag, it's still a figure.

To that end, I count all sentient or semi-sentient creatures and people as action figures no matter the size. All non-sentient creatures are "beasts." Droids are just droids no matter the size and all are "action figures."

So:

Three Legged R2-D2: Definitely an action figure, subspecies: droid

(name your own droid)

The R2 build-in the X-Wing: A droid head is not a figure, particularly when it is built into the action features of the vehicle itself. I think that to be considered an action figure, it needs to have the potential for an autonomous life apart from its buddy. (the Gungan with Fambaa is another example of this.)

Dianoga: Action figure/beast

Dewback: Action figure/beast

Blue Snaggletooth: Action figure

Jayspawn
12-08-2003, 01:13 AM
I dont count 3-legged R2 as a figure. I think hes an accessory as part of a playset.

Dianoga, hes an accessory of a playset. A novelty.

Dewback, hes a beast like the Wampa, Tauntaun, Rancor or the Jabba Playset.

Blue Snaggletooth is a figure, still a variation I dont personally count him in the regular vintage line (which I'm currently collecting). Hes really more of an anomally but still a figure.

The R2 in the X-Wing is part of the ship. :)

LusiferSam
12-19-2003, 02:12 AM
I'm sorry about abandoning this thread, but the timing of it was bad on my part. Any way here are the rest of the odd balls:

The Probot from the Turret & Probot playset

Han Solo in carbonite from Slave 1

Wampa

Tauntaun

Jabba the Hutt from the Jabba the Hutt playset

Salacious Crumb from the Jabba the Hutt playset

Sy Snootles from Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band

Max Rebo from Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band

Droopy McCool from Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band

The Rancor Monster

Vlix

LusiferSam
12-19-2003, 02:14 AM
The Probot from the Turret & Probot playset:
Now I have thought of the Probot as a figure now for a while. To me it has all the characteristics of a figure, so why not call it one.

Han Solo in carbonite from Slave 1:
Accessory. Hands down an accessory. There's little to no action about this lump of plastic. The POTF version is better on a number of levels none the least is which is a real figure.

Jabba the Hutt from the Jabba the Hutt playset:
I'll say yes here. Jabba is full blown character in the movie and has the sentient being thing going for him. I really hate the term "Beast" or "Creature" when applied to the vintage line because Kenner never used to describe items.

Salacious Crumb from the Jabba the Hutt playset:
Accessory. I just can't bring myself to call Crumb an action figure, it just doesn't feel right to me. Its the same with the Dianoga.

Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band:
Figures. The box says "ACTION FIGURE SET" on it. So to me pretty clear cut. Besides all three are just like normal figures.

Wampa:
Again I personally don't like the terms "Beast" or "Creature" used with the vintage. So I'll say this one is a figure for two reasons. The box has "FIGURE" printed on it and it feel like one to me.

The Rancor Monster:
Figure. Same reasons I gave for the Wampa. Plus I remember Kenner marketing it as a figure.

Tauntaun:
No. See what I said about the Dewback. Same thing applies here.

Vlix:
Because I'm not a Droid or Ewoks collector I have no opinion here. I've read little bit about how some folks feel because of the limit release Vlix shouldn't count. So that's why I've included him.

stillakid
12-19-2003, 11:28 AM
I'm sorry about abandoning this thread, but the timing of it was bad on my part.
It will be reflected in your paycheck. :)

The Probot from the Turret & Probot playset: Definitely a Droid, so it's a figure even though it was a "pack-in" with a playset.

Han Solo in carbonite from Slave 1: ooh, tough one. I'm going with Accessory to a vehicle, mainly because it isn't really an action figure with moving legs and arms and stuff.

Wampa: Beast, so it's an action figure.

Tauntaun: Beast, so it's an action figure.

Jabba the Hutt from the Jabba the Hutt playset: Action Figure even though he's bigger than most. I don't discriminate just because he doesn't have any legs. ;)

Salacious Crumb from the Jabba the Hutt playset: Action figure even though he doesn't have much "action."

Sy Snootles from Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band: Action figure.

Max Rebo from Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band: Action figure.

Droopy McCool from Sy Snootles and the Rebo Band: Action figure.

The Rancor Monster: Beast, so it's an action figure

Vlix: Action figure even though it might as well not exist. ;)

LusiferSam
12-21-2003, 12:49 PM
It will be reflected in your paycheck. :)

:crazed: It better not be much. I need that money to buy more Star Wars toys. :crazed:

2-1B
01-12-2004, 12:49 AM
His body is the same, that's why. The reason why the head changed was to make him more in balance. Blue Snaggs was taller and in a different costume.

I don't know, I see your point about Snags but then again his height was reduced to make him more in balance just like Huge Head Han. :D
Different costume, that's debatable . . . aside from the foot sculpt I think the costume is the same (technically). Yeah the color changed but that's along the variation theme to me. He still has the same head as the Red Snags and to me that says alot, too.

:)

jjreason
01-14-2004, 01:31 AM
If you think Droids and Ewoks count, I think Vlix should count. Yak Face counts even though he was not released everywhere, why should Vlix be any different?

The Blue Snaggletooth would interest me if I cared about vintage. I didn't even know this figure existed until I got a copy of Sansweet's figure guide in 1995. Neither I nor any of my friends had one. He seems like a very different figure to me. If I chased both Han heads, I'd want a blue Snags (and an open necked Leia, toothless Lando, Brown snaked Yoda, etc).

All of the other beasts and accessories mentioned above are just that to me - beasts and accessories. The Rebo band would be the only ones I would consider figures out of the lot. Doesn't mean I wouldn't be chasing the beasts, those have traditionally been some of my favorite SW toys. Vintage Jabba is one of the best Star Wars toys ever made.

Bel-Cam Jos
01-17-2004, 07:53 AM
If I chased both Han heads, I'd want a blue Snags (and an open necked Leia, toothless Lando, Brown snaked Yoda, etc).
Sounds like a horror film I Was Chased By the Two Han Heads. "Then when I turned around, I was staring straight into the disfigured (pun intended) Open Necked Leia! Ahhhh!!!!" ;) And the others remind me of Weird Al's song "Toothless People" (set to Rolling Stones/Mick Jagger's "Ruthless People" ) and Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl."

"You my-y, Brown Snaked Yoda
Do you remember when, we used to play
Dag ah-ah ah-ah ah-ah ah-ah ahah -obah (I feel like)" :p

Heh, heh... toothless Lando. Never heard it that way before. Brilliant! :D