PDA

View Full Version : How did you feel about the Clone Wars Animated Series?

Tycho
11-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Now that the first "season" is over, let's talk about how we feel about the Clone Wars Animated Series continuing next year, and get an after-the-fact poll count on who liked and disliked this series.

Turbowars
11-24-2003, 11:56 PM
Overall I liked it very much. There's 2 complaints though. #1 They are just too damn short. #2 Durg is just a stupid charactor. I mean when he turned in to that bloob, I was like WHAT THE HELL??? Anyways I'd like it to continue.

Kidhuman
11-25-2003, 01:12 AM
It far exceeded my expectations. It was awesome sans an episode or two. I cant wait for the spring.

2-1B
11-25-2003, 02:53 AM
Disappointed.
It showed promise but was not well executed in many ways.

plo koon 200
11-25-2003, 09:51 AM
I really wasn't expecting much but what I saw blew me away. Especially the third episode. Durge was okay, I was rather glad to see some imagination put into this series like there was for the OT.

James Boba Fettfield
11-25-2003, 10:21 AM
I loved every minute of it, now get the spring episodes out and then bring me a dvd! Great series! I hope more SW cartoons come out because of this.

Darth Jax
11-25-2003, 05:03 PM
i was loving the first few episodes (didn't even mind the short time, to me it fit). then durge appears, then ventriss - still haven't decided who is worse. i realize they need bad guys to lead the droid but haven't we had enough of the indestructible 'evil-doer.' and they seem to get stopped by sheer dumb luck only. look at how easily maul finishes of qui-gon and has obi beaten only to be sliced in half. everyone's favorite bounty hunter done in by a blind han swinging a pole. stormtroopers, the most feared soldiers in the universe, but not one of them can shoot straight.

but back to topic. durge is/was too over-the-top even before he turned into a mass of twine. look at what ani was able to accomplish with no training in the force and then look at asajj, where'd she get the sabers?

return the focus back to the jedi and their clone armys clash with the droids. let dooku and sidious scheme and direct their forces from the shadows and i'd be much happier.

that being said i will still watch the spring series and would like to see a full length comic series.

bobafett07728
11-25-2003, 05:40 PM
Overall. . . I liked them. The animation was better than I thought it would be, and the short episodes were tollerable (would've rather had a real series. . . but its better than nothing.) I felt Palpatine looked a little silly, but being as we only saw him once. . . I was over it. Durge. . . please. . . that was a little ridiculous. He was destroying massive battle tanks, and lifting them off the ground with his joust. . . that was too much. Then they went and made him "indestructible. . . :rolleyes: Then he flew through the window and was instantly picked off by like 20 Clone Troopers. . . he's indistrucible. . . but his armor, weapons, and accessories are apparently crap. Everything he used was quickly destroyed. . . but he always had a backup. And then his distruction was too corny. I could have done without his over-exagerrated antics. Assaj. . . eh. . . I'll make my desicion on her in the next series. I did enjoy Dooku/Tyranus' banter with her. He was almost comical teh way he talked down to her. . . "surely if you were Sith. . . this fight would have been over." I felt there were a lot of really great parts, and well done sequences. . . and they greatly overshadow the weakness of Durge. I am looking forward to the second series.

skeeziks22
11-26-2003, 12:46 PM
Remember that this is a cartoon... everything is exagerated. Even the powers, and size of characters. I liked Durge, and enjoy the fact that he is not humanoid and poses a threat that they aren't ready for. Assajj is likely a witch from Dathomir (however that's spelled) or any of a number of species, or religoins that can tap into the force in some way. The lightseabers she likely obtained from fallen jedi.

I also enjoyed the fact that the toons aren't just action, but you can see (and hear) the subterfuge taking place. Sidious sends Assajj out to kill Anakin. Does Sidious seriously think she will kill him? If so this hints that he may NOT be Palpatine. On the other hand he may be sending her there to drive Anakin to the brink to see how powerful he can be when truely tested... in which case he IS Palpatine. Either way he is not concerned if she lives or dies, because she is just a tool to eradicate the jedi. I think it is good that they have foudn disposable weapons against the jedi... I just couldn't believe 2 Sith could wipe them all out... no matter how many droids they have.

genericclone99
11-29-2003, 09:16 AM
It was great..... until durge took out an ATTE with that stupid jousting pole. The jousting idea sucked. give the droids guns. Hell, just use the hailfire droids instead of those dumb IG-88's on swoops. That"ll make the next series better. Everything else was fine, including Durge going all Akira like in the last few epps. LURVVVVED Obi in armour on speeder. I wanna figure of dat

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-10-2003, 04:36 PM
I loved it. I wasn't all that excited but once I saw the first one, I was completely hooked. I was afraid that it wouldn't feel like Star Wars but it is Star Wars.

The wait until the Spring Episodes is proving difficult! :)

Masterdorkboy
12-15-2003, 03:14 PM
I thought that it was pretty good. I too was a little leery of the series, but it far exceeded my expectations. However, I thought the power of those lances was really far fetched. If the armor on those vehicles can't stand up to being skewered by little pokers on speeder bikes, then how in the heck can they stand up to a little blaster fire.

Tycho
12-15-2003, 06:47 PM
Blasterfire is from lasers, a form of light.

Even Clone Armor is white because it is supposed to help be reflective.

Like shooting a laser into a mirror, it bounces everywhere.

The Seppies were quite correct to alternate to lance weapons, and projectile and hand-tossed explosives.

JediTricks
12-15-2003, 09:21 PM
I thought SW blaster bolts were actually gas enveloped in a laser-like energy.

Tycho
12-16-2003, 02:18 AM
Maybe. I'm thinking about Tbanna Gas, like on Bespin.

JT could be quite correct. Still laser is reflective. Han's blast went all over the trash compactor walls due to magnetic seals, though.

Anyone with the Essential Guide to Weapons and Technology want to do a little research for us?

Or on your next visit by Barnes N Nobel?

skeeziks22
12-16-2003, 12:25 PM
Blaster Bolts are a burning gas, but are repulsed by reflector shields. The droids could not penetrate the Gungans shields and had to march through to fight... once through their blasters were quite effective. The droids in this series had to do the same. However, unlike the Gungan mass shield the Clone Army Tanks have their own deflector shields. These shields hold closer to the tank so you can't sneak past them and use lasers/blasters etc. Using the lances or hand thrown devices (I imagine projectile guns like real world cannons would have worked) was neccesary to make contact with the tank.

JediTricks
12-17-2003, 01:57 AM
Although not technically SW canon, here's what version 1 of the Essential Guide says:

When a blaster is fired, a small amount of high-energy blaster gas moves from the gas chamber to the gas conversion enabler (commonly called an XCiter). There the gas is excited by energy from the weapon's power source, which is a small power pack for hand weapons and a reactor or a power generator for a larger weapon. The excited gas passes into the actuating blaster module, where it is processed into a beam comprised of intense energy particles coulpled with light. The prismatic crystal housing focuses the beam, which is further focused, or "galvenned", as it passes down the blaster's barrel. The final particle beam, or "bolt", contains high-energy particles that cause tremendous damage to anything they hit; the bolt's visible light is a harmless by-product of this reaction.

stillakid
12-17-2003, 02:11 AM
Blasterfire is from lasers, a form of light.

Even Clone Armor is white because it is supposed to help be reflective.

Like shooting a laser into a mirror, it bounces everywhere.

The Seppies were quite correct to alternate to lance weapons, and projectile and hand-tossed explosives.

Nice theory from the Empire (and fledgling Empire). Too bad it never really worked for them. I don't believe we've seen a Stormtrooper yet who hasn't been fatally wounded by Blaster fire (or Teddie Bears throwing rocks ;) ). Aside from the supposed life support stuff inside the suit, the Clone/Storm-trooper armor has appeared to be fairly useless if not detrimental in battle. No?

I have liked the Hailfire Droid concept, though I've been wondering what happens when it depletes it's 32 (?) missiles. It quickly becomes rather useless.

JediTricks
12-17-2003, 04:11 AM
The Hailfire droid also has a big horkin' cannon under its main pod. Plus, it can run enemy troops over. ;)

stillakid
12-17-2003, 11:29 AM
The Hailfire droid also has a big horkin' cannon under its main pod. Plus, it can run enemy troops over. ;)

Good point. It's a rolling pin!

skeeziks22
12-17-2003, 12:31 PM
The New Essential Guide to Vehicles addresses the problem with Hailfire droids... it mentions something to the effect that they must make quick retreats to the back of the line to be reloaded. The gun is for cover and other droids are assigned to cover it's retreat as well. Their missiles are quite effective as land-to-land or land-to-air, but the lack of payload may be a reason they weren't seen twenty years later.

I checked and it appears that there is no mention of deflector shields on the clone army tanks... not saying they don't exist. It does mention heavy armor plating, which may explain the lack of effect from lasers and blasters... thus the need for electrified jousts. Something that could pierce the armor and disrupt systems.