PDA

View Full Version : I was nice and actually gave up Clone Troopers to a kid in Toys R Us.

Tycho
11-26-2003, 03:45 AM
So tonight I'm in Toys R Us when I find they've stocked the Army Builders!

I find the red Clone Trooper 3-pack, and 4 sets of the Droid Army, amongst other things I was shopping for tonight.

I'm comparing paint jobs on the Hoth 4-pack to get the best set, when a kid, probably 10 years old at the most, comes running in and starts going through the Clone Wars figures. He grabs an ARC Trooper, and keeps digging.

I asked him what he was looking for, and it turns out he's after the red ARC Trooper.

They didn't have him tonight, and I told him I'd gone through all of them myself.

He looks in my shopping cart and asks if I collect. I told him I do.

He then tells me that his whole room is filled with shelves of Star Wars. (I'm thinking "sounds just like me when I was his age!" ) It was great to see.

I asked him if he'd seen the cartoon, and turns out, he loves it and he started telling me how cool he thinks ARC Troopers and the Clones in general are! (He also wants an Obi-Wan Kenobi that can ride a speederbike).

So he tells me he's building armies and setting up massive battles in his room.

I couldn't resist reaching into my shopping cart and giving him my Clone Trooper 3-pack (the only one they had left) with a red captain Clone in the package. True, it wasn't the red ARC Trooper, but there was nothing I could do about that. But at least it was something. I'm sure I can go out hunting a lot more frequently than this kid can, so I wanted him to get what he was after.

The kid was really stoked and ran to go show his father that he "gets 3 for the price of 2." The kid and his dad and his little 7 year old sister return.

The father looks in my cart and asks if I collect too. I said "sure" and he says then he's sure that his kid will never grow out of it either, and it's getting all over their house, but he admitted that he likes it too.

The little girl meanwhile wants the Anakin and Padme 12" figures, "To take their clothes off" she says, with a sinner's grin (I'm just reporting this, not making it up...) and the father asks if she doesn't want Barbie and Ken. She says maybe she'll take Padme and Ken (because his arm won't fall off). But in general, SW bores her, but she thought the love story was cute and episode 2 was the best movie.

Finally the boy eyes the Hoth 4-packs and offers his sister "If I get this, you can have Princess Leia." She thinks that's an OK deal, but she likes Padme better.

There's not really a point to my story. I just wanted to share it.

Star Wars is still strong this Christmas.

- oh, they had the Lando 12" wave in stock (1 case only I think) amongst other things, but I already have the new Lando and have discussed him in the 12" forums.

But anyway, yes I actually will give up Clones under special circumstances.

plo koon 200
11-26-2003, 07:47 AM
I would have difficulty doing it. I so far have only found the white Clonetrooper pack, and only one of them. Where I live these are near impossible to find.

Dark Marble
11-26-2003, 10:13 AM
Great story Tycho, that is why I don't like buying on-line. It is a great thing to go out and interact with other people that are into the toys. I always have fun talking to other collectors, and I would give up figures too.

seanmcfripp
11-26-2003, 10:59 AM
I made the mistake of talking to two kids in the LEGO aisle at Target the other day. They were probably about nine and seven and I think they were brothers. Anyway, they were talking about the LEGO mini sets and how if they got the Gunship and the Millenium Falcon, then they could finally build the Y-Wing. Their little discussion reminded me of me and my brother at that age and how we used to plan out our purchases with the same kind strategy (how could we get the most out of our collective Christmas/Birthday funds). I told them how cool the Y-Wing is when it's finally assembled and that their purchase would be well worth it. Well the older one looked at me and turned white. Then he muttered something that sounded like "uh huh" and then tried to act like I wasn't there. I felt bad because I guess I must've scared the kid. So then I tried to explain how the new mini sets with the Star Destroyer and Shuttle Tyderium were over at TRU and if his parents were going that way they might want to check those out too. He again looked at me and got whiter. By this time I was feeling like a child molester, so I left and went to the action figure aisle. A minute later the two kids wandered over and dammit if that kid gave me the exact same look. I swear in his little mind he must've thought I was put on this earth to stalk and torture him. I could just see the wheels turning in his mind as he most certainly was drawing from some "don't talk to strangers" lesson someone had taught him at some point. Or maybe he's just been following the Michael Jackson thing a little too closely. I was really tempted to say "Hey kid, I've got a puppy in the back of my van. You wanna come see it?" But I didn't because I'm sure the kid would have dropped dead right then and there...and that would have been wrong.

And it's not right to lie to little kids. I didn't have a puppy. I use kittens. They work much better. :eek:

OC47150
11-26-2003, 12:32 PM
You will be rewarded beyond your wildest imagination for that kind act, Tycho.

bobafrett
11-26-2003, 01:33 PM
Tycho, Kudo's to you my friend, I don't think I could have done it. In fact when the Chewbacca with the 3PO that goes in the net on Chewies back first came out, I found one in the hands of this woman who was buying it for her son. I followed her around and asked if I could see the figure. She let me look at it, and I sighed, so she says, "do you want this", so I took it from her. Hah, not everyone has such a kind heart!

Dar' Argol
11-26-2003, 07:10 PM
Thank you Tycho! You've givin me back the faith that there is a good heart in the bodies of collectors. For some time now I have growing very tired and irritated with all the complaning that goes on about how I can't get this or this figure stinks or whatever. But to read this story, and to see the true heart of the collector, it gives me a little hope.

I would have done the same. Its important for this hobbie to survive to teach the younger generation on how to be a "good Collector" and encourage them. If we show them nothing but greed and inconcideration, why would they want to ever get into this hobbie. Or, they would be getting in for the wrong reasons. We should lead them down the path of the light side of collecting, not push them towards the dark.

kool-aid killer
11-26-2003, 09:06 PM
I rarely see kids digging thru the Star Wars figures but whenever i do im reluctant to say anything to them for fear of them or their parents thinking the wrong thing. Whenever i see adults i dont say anything either, i wonder if they are true collectors or some chump out trying to make a few extra bucks. Sometimes i think it would be cool to have a buddy to go hunting with but what if we came upon only one figure that both of us needed? Glad to hear that you gave the kid some clones, but how did he know that there was a red version of the ARC trooper? I dont think its common knowledge among collectors who may not browse Star Wars related sites.

2-1B
11-27-2003, 12:32 AM
Tycho, you should have offered the kid one of your 5 Duros. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-27-2003, 02:00 AM
Ah, yes, that reminds me of when the Episode II toys went on sale back in april of 2002. My friends and myself were making our rounds after doing the primary midnight rush @wal-mart: all i needed was a Dexter Jexter and Count Dooku. Well, we hit another wally world that night (24 hour supercenter) and they had like 6 Dooku figures left. I took two and my other friend took a few as well (he keeps on MOC and opened one). Well, we get up to hit TRU the next morning and we get in and still, no Dexter Jexter figures, but there were a few kids whose parents were awesome enough to let them skip school (that'll be me, probably). I ran into a collector i had bumped into the night before and he tells me that Dexter is up the street @Target up the road, so we head out the door and i see this kid looking really frustrated. His mom is consoling him and i hear her say, "The old bad guy in this one" and "don't worry; we'll find him." So, i stop and say i couldn't help but overhearing, but it sounds like you need a Count Dooku figure. She says yeah and asks where she can find one and i tell her that i have an extra that i don't mind not having, as i already have one, i could get one to open later on, so we head out to my car (all of us, not just myself and a little kid...pervs) and i bust out Dooku and the kid gets really giddy and the mom asks "how much?" in a tone that just aches for answer of biblical proportions, but i just say, "4.99" or however much they were, so she hands me a five and some change (which i refused thechange, but she shoved it in my pocket, saying something about tax) and the kid thanks me for about a minute and they walk to their car, the kid bouncing along with Dooku in hand.
I felt good about myself that day..until i saw my balance after all my spending transactions had cleared. :D

plasticfetish
11-27-2003, 03:31 AM
Very nice Tycho-claus!
The kid's sister reminds me of my sister as a kid. Her 12" leia was pretty much naked 24-7 ... that, and bald.

And it's not right to lie to little kids. I didn't have a puppy. I use kittens. They work much better. :eek:
Aren't you supposed to use candy or Yu-gi-oh cards now?
(Terrible, sorry.)
I'd bet most "adult" collectors get that reaction from time to time. More often than not though, I end up getting asked by Grandparents what's a good gift for the g-kids. "You look like a 35 year old toy collecting nerd ... what should I get my grandson for his birthday?" I'll take that over, "OK kids, let's stay near mommy now ... Mr. Creepy is spending way too much time looking at the Padme figures." (I just want good one. WT*?)

Anyway ... again ... very nice Tycho.

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 10:08 AM
If the kid has armies of figure all over the place, I don't think he was hurting. His Parents probably buy him anything he wants. Kids do exaggerate, so maybe he really didn't. I have had conversations with kids at stores and they never looked at me like a freak. The people I stay away from are the Hotwheel collectors that when they finish grabbing every single car off the pegs they run over to the SW figure and talk crap, but walk away with a figure or 2. I'd like to knock the guys cold, but I hold back.

Tycho
11-27-2003, 01:15 PM
I don't recall ever seeming to frighten children.

I didn't think about why until now.

1) I didn't try to start a conversation with him, I asked two very simple questions:

"Do you collect Star Wars? What figure are you looking for?"

2) I let him talk. He answered very simply "The red ARC Trooper."

3) I told him the information he (sort of) wanted to hear "He's not in this assortment, I've already looked through all of them. But I bought mine here a few days ago, and I'm sure he'll turn up again if you can keep looking."

4) The kid looked in my basket at a bunch of the stuff I was buying and asked me why I was getting that stuff. I told him.

5) He liked that I did the same thing he did: a diorama hobby of setting up the major battles in the movie, recreating them with the toys.

6) I was curious though, and didn't turn off the kid from talking to me, as he was quite glad an "older kid" was into what he was, and that the hobby was cool to adults, too. So I asked him if he watched the Clone Wars cartoon - and he didn't miss a beat describing his favorite episodes to me, and explaining why he thought Clones were the coolest thing, etc. etc.

I already related the rest. But I guess I didn't invite him back to my home where I have my own amusement park rides and a private petting zoo :rolleyes:

I also didn't talk too much.

I realize that a lot of SW fans are thirsty to have conversations with others they can really relate their interests to, but because it is a less common interest, people perceive themselves as being weird for liking it enough to have a $30,000 collection (or whatever we're up to now :rolleyes: ). So they think that gives them an excuse to gush like we do here on the forums ("Han's a Clone! Han's a Clone!" - some idiot that would remind you a lot of me writes that all the time :crazed: ) But in real life, you're voice and presentation is much more forceful than a few sentences or paragraphs somebody here can CHOOSE whether or not to read. In person, the rules of ettiquete and balance apply to other Star Wars fans, just like they do to meeting your own parents' friends at some dinner party you really don't want to be at. (since it's Thanksgiving and a lot of you would rather be drinking at a live football game with your friends than sitting on your best behavior with Mom and Dad). Well, other Star Wars fans might have everything in common with you (might), but you are still a stranger to them. Let someone become comfortable before you blurt out at them ("Dooku is Anakin's Dad! Dooku is Anakin's Dad!" :crazed: ) They'll think you're weird or on something.

I never explained my crazy movie theories to the kid, and I stayed on the topic: Clone Troopers, ARC Troopers, and setting up cool armies like you see on the cartoon. Dooku and Anakin's personal relationship has nothing to do with that, and Han Solo doesn't even belong in THIS Star Wars conversation.

It's like staying topical in the forums.

In my experience, if people enjoy having ONE piece of dialogue exchanged with you, they might pursue a longer conversation with you. A conversation is usually on ONE topic, and if they enjoy that conversation with you, they might invite you to talk about something else. Keep in mind though, that if YOU started the first dialogue with them, you should let them CHOOSE whether to pursue another conversation with you. They might be in a hurry. They might just want a red ARC Trooper - and if they're a SW collector in TRU, they might want to hurry to get to Target, Wal-Mart, and KB, not just hang out in one store. want to make a friend? - with an adult- ask them if they are going to check the next nearest store and tell them you'll look forward to seeing them there. If you regularly run into someone who is collecting, you can offer to exchange numbers. I made 6 very good friends that have been my collecting circle and movie premier buddies, and even convention-going pals in Denver and Indiana, who I met in the toy stores nearly 7 years ago.

Note, this really helps if you are trying to collect in a certain area. None of my friends do a lot of online trading or e-Baying, we buy for each other first, and since I live in a large city with many retailers, we split up the hunting route and no one really drives to more than 3-4 stores, and we cover them all, getting everything in my county first now. (I have stuff that's trickled out that shouldn't be out yet, and that's how I get them).

With kids, in the case of trading, meet and ask their parents, and NEVER do anything with the kid without their parents accompanying you. That changed for me in one instance. I found my adopted little brother through Star Wars, much like the way I met the kid with the Clones. However, his father was a police officer and he probably ran a background check on my before he and his wife let me hang out with their son. Now I have an "adopted family" I'm joining for an after-Thanksgiving meal (I have grandparents out of town I'm leaving to visit in a bit here). I've been his big brother for like 7 years as well, (so I was still nearly a teenager when I met him) and he is all grown up and drives, has a girlfriend and a business of his own he's into, but will be a friend for life (as will his family). "Before girls" he used to collect SW, and when he got older and started driving himself, we used to hunt SW together. Now he likes looking at my collection, and is ticked that he got out of it before Ephant Mon was released, but we still talk about it a lot of the time - and I got him into Star Trek and Smallville, and he turned me on to "The Shield" because he's going into the police force and loves cop shows.

But anyway, my long point is, it's never too late to learn calm, casual, good social skills, and they can take you far in your friendships, and even your SW collecting.

2-1B
11-27-2003, 03:36 PM
Very nice Her 12" leia was pretty much naked 24-7 ... that, and bald.

They never did really get that detailed with those figures. ;)

Kidhuman
11-27-2003, 05:15 PM
Tycho, arent you the nice guy.

LTBasker
11-27-2003, 07:04 PM
and I got him into Star Trek and Smallville, and he turned me on to "The Shield" because he's going into the police force and loves cop shows.

Really nice trade there Tycho!

I've never really had a chance to talk to anyone else into collecting since there never seems to be that many collectors in my area. The closest encounter I've had with somebody else who buys Star Wars in the past few years was someone listening behind me when I asked a customer service clerk at the store about Y-Wings. Though with the way he acted (practically lurking all over the aisles that had SW) and then probably overheard the talking about asking on the Y-wings and followed my family and me. I'm kinda glad I didn't find Y-wings that day. :p

plasticfetish
11-28-2003, 12:56 AM
They never did really get that detailed with those figures. ;)
How'd I know? How'd I know that if I waited long enough ...

seanmcfripp
11-28-2003, 08:52 AM
I don't recall ever seeming to frighten children...
But anyway, my long point is, it's never too late to learn calm, casual, good social skills, and they can take you far in your friendships, and even your SW collecting.

I think we should all keep quiet because our hobby is dirty and sinful. So dirty....dirt won't come off...the dirt won't come off...gotta get clean!!! Ahhhh!!

Uh...whoa...ummm...sooo...yeah, like, its dirty and stuff.

No, but seriously, I never try to start up conversations anymore because some Star Wars fans are at the sad end of the dork scale. You know the guys, they try to blurt out every bit of random and useless Star Wars trivia they can think of before you can. Then if you manage to get in a word, they immediately cut you off and finish your thought. And then you get the horrible feeling that if you don't ditch this guy soon, he's going to follow you home. If you had an Ephant Mon, you'd have to pitch it down the aisle and run the other way as he obediently ran to fetch it.

I tried to talk to the two kids because I really thought I could help them out (I wish someone would tell me when they've seen stuff at other stores). I was very casual and calm with them. But I think that is what scared them. I'm just too calm and casual. Yeah, I'm way too cool. Yeah, that's the ticket...too cool...too cool for school.

Then my wife reminds me what a colossal dork I am and I'm back on planet earth.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 09:56 AM
Then my wife reminds me what a colossal dork I am and I'm back on planet earth. I see that look on the wives face, but she wont say anything.

seanmcfripp
11-28-2003, 04:26 PM
I see that look on the wives face, but she wont say anything.

Isn't that look the worst? The look says so much more that any words ever could.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 04:40 PM
Isn't that look the worst? The look says so much more that any words ever could.LOL, the look of DEATH:evil:

bobafrett
11-28-2003, 11:53 PM
LOL, the look of DEATH:evil:

Ha! I keep away from that, by staying single! No ones going to give my the Death Stare when I'm buying my little toy fix!

Tycho
11-29-2003, 01:23 AM
On being a grown, single guy with way too much Star Wars:

I had the occasion to have a very attractive young lady I work with over to my place (NOT FOR A DATE) but just to stop by and pick up some paperwork from me, because she wanted to make it more convenient for me.

I was thinking, "I don't really want people I work with professionally, especially a nice looking girl I have the respect of, to catch me living in "Galactic Battlegrounds."

Long story short, she stayed over quite a while playing with my cats along side the Battle of Endor and my "wall of Death Star," while I'd happened to have AOTC playing on my TV even, and she made NO COMMENT at all about my toys. I said only one thing, nonchalantly: "Welcome to my toy collection." She just laughed.

End of story: we're going to spend more time together socially. I don't know what that means for the future, but it looks pretty good so far. I doubt she's a Star Wars fan, but it doesn't matter to her that I am.

jjreason
11-29-2003, 01:48 AM
You guys are all blinded by the kind gesture - Tycho's a wolf in sheep's clothing (and I can tell - I have a daughter of my own).

To paraphrase: "She said, with a sinner's grin......"

You dirty California dog you...... you gave up the Clones to get in good with the sister! Not that planning for the future is a bad thing......

I can see right through you, man....... :crazed: :D

Tycho
11-29-2003, 01:59 AM
Wrong. If the brother was about 10 at the most, the sister had to be 7 or younger! To plan for the future, I'd have to know this family for more than 10 years before the daughter would even become a possibility I'd even consider!

I'm not Michael Jackson!

That's just wrong. (and I know you were joking)

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
11-29-2003, 11:40 PM
Tycho you were very generous. It not only warmed the heart of the youngster, but it makes you feel just as joyful. A very kind act!

Personally, I would have asked him for $25 if he really wanted it, but if he had $20, I would of gave it to him.

j/k :rolleyes:

darthzirock
11-30-2003, 11:10 AM
On being a grown, single guy with way too much Star Wars ...

Well, I started out collecting Star Wars at 15, so the bulk of my collecting has been done as an adult. It has not been a hindrance at all in any of my relationships. In fact, in high school, it was part of me and my girlfriend's weekly routine to leave school on Friday afternoon and walk over to the big Woolworth's (back when those were still around) a few blocks away from the school and see if any new figures had come in. She'd help me look, and then we'd go over to the paperbacks so she could look for sci-fi novels. (She was a big Phillip Jose Farmer and Alan Dean Foster fan back then.) We had kind of a unique situation, as our high school was right in the heart of the downtown area of Newark, NJ, and there were still quite a few big department stores open back then (1976-80). We'd also check the Two Guys, Bamburger's, and Korvette's for figures on various days. On the weekends, if we were going to a movie, we'd usually check out the local malls near the multiplexes, too. On our fairly frequent trips to New York City, we'd hit the little import toy stores in Chinatown, as well as the comic book shops and our "mecca"--Forbidden Planet!

I went to college in Boston for two years after high school, and kept up with all The Empire Strikes Back figures through the local Kay-Bee Toys (which was quite a hike from where my dorm was). The girls that I dated up there were usually OK with the occasional stop at Kay-Bee, as long as it didn't interfere with any other plans. Of course, back then it wasn't nearly as hard to find figures as it has been these past few years.

When I moved back to New Jersey to complete college locally, since I now had my own car it was pretty easy to get figures without even involving girlfriends in the hunt. I only displayed the most recent figures I'd found on two bookshelves in my living room--the rest I stored in shoeboxes--so the collection wasn't very intrusive or overwhelming. I had access to literally dozens of shopping centers, and could always go toy-hunting before or after classes and on the weekends. I had classmates that were toy collectors, too, and there was both a Toys 'R' Us and a K-Mart not far from campus, so there were about six of us that kept each other up to date on the various lines we collected. After graduation, I worked for 14 months in lower Manhattan, and would hit up the Chinatown toy stores on my lunch hour or after work. When I started working for AT&T, I had a rather long commute (an hour each way!) that had several comic shops, shopping centers, and two TRUs on the route.

Today, as a 40something bachelor living in North Carolina with a collection that dominates my living room, bedroom, and office--but includes other toy lines than just Star Wars--it can be a bit of a turn-off to some women. However, just as hunters might have stuffed animals on display, or golfers might have golf trophies, pictures of themselves at various golf courses, etc, my hobby is a part of who I am. If that acts as a deterant to any potential relationships, then those relationships probably would have failed even if I didn't have a single piece of my collection on display!

I've never been called a geek--not to my face, at least--for my hobby, by anyone I've ever known. The literally thousands of dollars I've spent collecting toys could just as easily gone to hunting or fishing supplies, or following around The Grateful Dead, KISS or The Ramones.

Each of us has our passions--my sister's is reading John Grisham and Belva Plain novels, and my brother's seems to be getting as many speeding tickets as possible without losing his driver's license (yet!). Some men will spend fortunes just to get a lawn that's "perfect," while others will follow their baseball teams to every away game. Women ... well, some of the things they collect just boggle my mind, frankly! I've dated ones that have collected things as bizarre as Barbie dolls issued from just one year (1970, to be exact) to empty perfume bottles that had to be an exact shade of yellow!

To anyone getting "the death stare" from girlfriends, spouses, parents and other relatives, co-workers, etc, feel free to use my standardized, handy-dandy response: "Hey, it's either this [collecting Star Wars toys] or heroin!"

Turbowars
11-30-2003, 11:24 AM
Nice post. I think my wife and I both give eachother the stare. I collect SW and some other lines, while she collects Living Dead Dolls and Cows on Parade. What a huge difference between the two she collects:confused: It's my own fault. At the last SD Comic Con we walked by the Living Dead dolls booth and I said jokingly, "Hey you should collect these Dead Dolls." The rest is history. Man, it's hard sometime to support two crazy collectors. :crazed:

Tycho
11-30-2003, 02:06 PM
Yeah, my situation is like Darthzirock's though I'm a lot younger.

Star Wars is everywhere in my apartment, and the primary reason I'm in the housing market now is that I need to buy a place large enough to put my collection out in every room (in moderation).

I like that approach better than the "too much to look at" trophy room.

I want to organize:

Room 1: Endor, Naboo, Yavin - a living room

Room 2: OT Tatooine - a pool table, entertainment room (like a bonus room)

Room 3: Geonosis, Prequel Trilogy Tatooine - an exercise room, gym (from a bedroom)

Room 4: Death Star, Star Destroyers, Coruscant, Space Battles - home theater room (a family room)

Room 5: Hoth, Bespin, bedroom

Room 6: Dagobah, Naboo swamp, Otah Gunga, bedroom

Room 7: (or hallway wallspace etc.) Trade Federation, Mon Cal Starcruiser, Theed Generator Room, Kamino, hallway or extra bedroom

Garage or Room 8: Star Trek, garage, storage, parking.

Anyway, a 9th room (an extra bedroom or dining room) might serve to separate Kamino, or the Death Star from Coruscant, if any room got too busy.

It's basically using every room in a 4 bedroom (with bonus room) house. I'll do home tours if I realize this, and SSGrs coming to San Diego for Comic Con can take a look. For my tastes, this is the way to display a SW collection. So I made it my dream and goal to achieve (in one area of my life - not that this is all my life is about).

Turbowars
11-30-2003, 03:01 PM
What ever floats your boat tycho. I like my smaller "too much to look at" trophy room. Like you said it's not my whole life, but a big part of it.

bobafrett
11-30-2003, 03:33 PM
I think my friend said it best, I don't need to find someone who is interested in Star Wars collecting, just someone who understands an obsession with something. My last girlfriend of 3 years, loved Def Leppard, she would travel across the country to see them, and got to know the band (no, not that way). My friend told me that it was the reason we worked out for so long, because she understood my obsession with Star Wars and collecting. I just choose not to date at the moment, as I have other personal factors that I need to work on improving, including finding a decent paying daytime job.

Tycho
11-30-2003, 03:34 PM
Heh-heh. I love Def Leppard!

Anyway, trophy rooms can be great. They are a monument to your collection (and SW too!)

When I create dioramas I like, I just want the focus to be on that one spot, that's all.

The Clone Wars diorama I want to build might blow my Death Star setups out of the water, but they are good too. But like Endor for instance, has 4 scoutwalkers and some speederbikes in the scene, but Geonosis will have a Hailfire, Gunships, Geonosian fighters, a Jedi Starfighter, hopefully a spider walker and an AT-TE one day.

But I put a lot of effort into handpainting all the trees and the Death Star's deflector dish (on Endor), so when I appreciate that work, I really don't want Geonosis with all its new toys to overshadow that.

I feel like I'm not so much displaying my collection, as I am displaying my art. That's the reason I don't want it all in one room, but like maybe 4 displays at the most in one place.

My "green room" will be crowded with 4 large displays for example (probably lining 2 to maybe 3 walls of the room):

Escape from Theed will have the waterfall (and hopefully a bongo sub for the figures), the overpass the Jedi jump from to rescue the Queen, and the Royal Starship with all the astromechs on the back of it, flying overhead.

The Gungan Battle will be what you expect: one AAT, one Faamba, the Falumpaset, 3 Kaadus, 2 STAPs, about 15 droids in formation, and about 10 Gungans lined up with their shields and boomers.

The Battle of Theed will be hard to do. I like the challenge I'll one day have of making the buildings like they were in TPM. It will have 1 AAT tank, the Flash Speeder, lots of Guards, Security, and Droids duking it out. Above it (like a story higher) will be 2 Hanger Playsets put together, with the 2nd hanger battle going on, and the Generator playset hosting the Jedi duel.

The Battle of Endor will hopefully have a wall for itself, but will likewise be full of green colors, and have 2 Ewok Villages, assorted catapults, Ewoks, speederbikes, AT-STs, Han and Leia, Chewie in his scoutwalker, an Ewok glider, etc. against my handpainted forest backdrop and Death Star deflector dish.

You see, these will be big enough for 1 room, and the bright red of Geonosis, or the bright white of Hoth, will only distract from all the work I put into my "green scenes." So like a lot of "artists," I'll take my chances with being regarded as eccentric.

Sorry to ramble on. I'm really excited about setting up my dream display of my collection, and it's a huge motivating factor in how well I do in my career back in the real world.

plasticfetish
11-30-2003, 04:18 PM
To anyone getting "the death stare" from girlfriends, spouses, parents and other relatives, co-workers, etc, feel free to use my standardized, handy-dandy response: "Hey, it's either this [collecting Star Wars toys] or heroin!"
Hey! I've used your exact response before! (I may owe you a royalty check or something.)

-----

Tycho, the idea for your house sounds great to me. But, <insert whiny voice> how can you plan now? We haven't even seen every movie ... what about those great new scenes still to come? And I'm still not understanding just where you're putting your other stuff. Are you going to build an in-law unit for the Trek toys?

Honestly, if I was single I'd probably be living in a storage shed full of toys. Living off eating those rubber band tie down things. As is, I have a wife that gets along just fine with some of it. (Only complains about spending the money, not the subject matter.) But, the Star Wars lives in my studio. Oddly, all of the Japanese toys, mostly vintage vinyl and diecast stuff, is OK for the house. Godzilla, Ultraman and Mazinger Z in the living room ... Luke and Han in the studio, near their friends Kirk and Spock. So, getting married really only means having to decorate a little differently ... and not having to live in a storage container (for me.)

Tycho
11-30-2003, 06:26 PM
Episode 3. Good question (concerning the toys and dioramas I might like to make).

1) I'll get a hold of the comic adaptation before the movie, and I'll read all the spoilers, so I can make a general list of all the scenes I'll want to do. For Episode 1 and 2, this strategy seemed to really work well. The trailers hitting theaters help a lot.

It's not entirely accurate, but works for about 85% or more of what I do. It also helps with the shopping lists at Midnite Madness, as that happens before we see the movie, too.

2) The planets in E3 are going to fit along the lines of what we've seen already I think. No spoilers to me are known for total certainty yet (so I'm not going to ruin the movie by discussing this). I already have rooms and display plans for these settings from the other movies:

CORUSCANT: I'm doing the Galactic Senate twice (I guess) - I bought the figures for it: Amidala's address, and Palpatine's emergency powers. I suppose I just like politics, and the look of their senate, plus displaying all my aliens (from civilized systems), let alone Bail Organa, etc. It will be debatable whether I'll attempt a 3rd Senate. I doubt it, unless some kind of battle takes place there. If it comes to doing 3 Senate scenes, I'll break down the 2 I've planned, and just do each one with different aliens, and at half the scale.

A large battle in on the City-Planet? If this happens, I'm all for it, and I'll probably divide the metal-moon stuff into two rooms: Coruscant and the Death Star rooms. I've addressed this before. It's a contingency plan.

Any smaller scenes can be shadow boxes I have made for my walls, for scenes with a dozen or less figures in them.

TATOOINE: will play such a small role, that I might only have 1 small scene with 4 figures. It won't make any difference to add that.

NABOO: Again, small scenes. I don't think there will be anything big going on there. I could be mistaken, but I've allowed for a large room for my Naboo, Yavin, Endor room. I really don't want the balance to be really prequel-skewed, but if I end up having 4-1 instead of 3-1 as my balance, I'll do my best to find room.

KAMINO: haven't heard of anything going on there. Don't expect to need it.

GEONOSIS: likewise. Besides I'm doing 3 displays out of AOTC, and would rather keep it holding at that number: Arena Beasts, Arena Rescue, Ground Battle.

A LAVA WORLD?: Rumors of this planet are very deep rooted in SW lore. If true, my "red room" (Geonosis) may well take another display.

Remember, any space I do not use can be later used for furniture: guest beds, my pool table, my weightlifting machines and fitness bike, book shelves, my A/V Set-Up, dining table, etc.

ALDERAAN, KASHYYYK, or CORELLIA would go with my green room most likely, or with the darker 'swamp room' if the colors or time of day for scenes more closely reflect those colors.

Really, my green room and my "black room" (Death Star / Coruscant) are really the only rooms in danger of over-flowing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

STANDARD DISPLAY CASES YOU SEE AS COUNTERS IN COMIC BOOK SHOPS ARE 6 FEET, by 4.5 FEET HIGH, by about 18 INCHES DEEP.

Put against a wall, they take up very little room space, and only detract from where you might have a bed, couch, or desk. Fit these things in each room too, and you lost no living space. Another reason to keep the SW limited in each room.

These cases cost around 200 dollars, maybe 50 more with built-in lighting kits, or 50 more with delivery. They are usually sold to retail stores, but manufacturers always like business, and they'll sell to homes for private exhibitions. Stores going out of business or moving, or dealers at conventions that don't want to continue to move their display cases, may sell them cheaper.

You can remove the shelves inside, for larger scenes with flying ships, etc. Get maybe 1cm thick plexiglass cross beams cut that fit on the edge lips that hold the glass top on, and suspend ships like the snowspeeder from these using strong fishing wire.

Either buy contact paper with desert, forest, or water scenes from pet stores that sell stuff to decorate aquariums and reptile terraniums, or buy poster board, cut it to the right size, and paint your own uniquely SW backgrounds. Velcro stickers (Target - under $5) help with attachment and detachment, to allow for easy access to your scenes (to add new figures, or fix guys that fell over, etc.) Put the big stuff in through the back (Ewok villages, Death Stars, landed Tyderium shuttles, etc) and then push it against the wall. Remove the glass lid from the top, or by leaving a tiny bit (2 inches or so) of handspace against the back wall, to get inside, then with the lid off, set up your figures. Clear REAL STANDS really help! If the glass lids break, the company that manufactures the cases will sell you replacement tops for $30 in my experience. Only my Hoth display broke because there must've been a flaw in the glass, and hanging snowspeeders are heavier than some other ships.

The Republic Gunship will require a custom-made case, as it is just narrowly 3-4 inches too slim in depth to fit the wingspan of the Gunship. Also, our heaviest vehicle to date, the Gunship might not be wise to hang suspended, but I haven't attempted it yet, so I have no experience there. I only know that my Battle of Geonosis display will require a more expensive custom case.

The other things that do not fit include oddly enough the Theed Generator Playset, which is maybe only 1 inch too wide to connect to the Hanger Playset, and fit in one of these cases. The Royal Starship, opened to expose the interior with crew and droids, also does not fit by maybe 2 inches.

Here I'll spend the money (maybe an extra 100 per case?) but I'm not sure how much they'll end up costing me, since I'm out of room in my apartment and can't order them now. I'll earn the extra dollars to go up to 500 if I need to, but I'll expect to build up much slower if I am forced to pay that much, as I'll have to save some cash to set aside just for that.

No, I'm not rich, and I don't have that kind of money right now. But the dream is the incentive to go out and earn it.

Tycho
11-30-2003, 06:53 PM
Mind you, I've also been figuring out a financial plan for success.

I've place voluntary spending caps on Star Wars at $1,500 per year. This should be all I need for army building, even during a movie year. I can't say if this will work, but saving money, not spending on credit, is always the best route to go.

Meanwhile, the display cases will wait until I know I'll have a surplus of SW funds at the end of any given year, and THEN I'll buy them, or they'll have to wait for another year (obviously not 2005!)

Midnite Madness did not see me spend quite $1,000, but it was within probably $150-200 of that basic range. Then stuff went slower the rest of the year, so the remaining 5-600 I spent seems about right:

(waves after Midnite Madness in movie year, quantities bought):

[#01] Anakin Skywalker: Outland Peasant Disguise (C1)
[#02] Padmé Amidala: Arena Escape (C1)
[#03] Obi-Wan Kenobi: Coruscant Chase (C1)
[#04] C-3PO: Protocal Droid (C1)
[#05] Kit Fisto: Jedi Master (C1)
[#06] Super Battle Droid (C1)
[#07] Boba Fett: Kamino Escape (C2)
[#08] Tusken Raider: Female w/ Child (C2)
[#09] Captain Typho: Padmé's Head of Security (C2)
[#10] Shaak Ti: Jedi Master (C2)
[#11] Battle Droid: Arena Battle (Cream) (C2)
[#11] Battle Droid: Arena Battle (Red) (C2)
[#12] Plo Koon: Arena Battle (C2)
[#13] Jango Fett: Kamino Escape (C1)
[#14] R2-D2: Coruscant Sentry (C1)
[#15] Geonosian Warrior (C2)
[#16] Dexter Jettster: Coruscant Informant (C2)
[#17] Clone Trooper (Red) (C1) 20 or less
[#18] Zam Wesell: Bounty Hunter (C1) 5
[#19] Royal Guard: Coruscant Security (C2) 8
[#20] Saesee Tiin: Jedi Master (C2) 4
[#21] Nikto: Jedi Knight (C2) 6
[#22] Anakin Skywalker: Hangar Duel (C1) 11
[#23] Yoda: Jedi Master (C1) 4
[#24] Jar Jar Binks: Gungan Senator (C2)
[#25] Taun We: Kamino Cloner (C2)
[#26] Luminara Unduli: Jedi Master (C2)
[#27] Count Dooku: Dark Lord (C1) 9
[#28] Mace Windu: Geonosian Rescue (C1) 2
[#29] Luke Skywalker: Bespin Duel (C1)
[#30] Darth Vader: Bespin Duel (C1) 1
[#31] Jango Fett: Final Battle (C1) 3
[#32] Qui-Gon Jinn: Jedi Master (C2)
[#33] Endor Rebel Soldier (Goatee) (C2) 4
[#33] Endor Rebel Soldier (No Goatee) (C2) 6
[#34] Massif w/ Geonosian Handler (C2) 6
[#35] Orn Fre Taa: Ryloth Senator (C2) 6
[#36] Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Starfighter Pilot (C1) 1
[#37] Han Solo: Endor Raid (C1)
[#38] Chewbacca: Cloud City Capture (C1)
[#39] Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (C2) 7
[#40] Djas Puhr: Alien Bounty Hunter (C2) 11
[#41] Padme Amidala: Coruscant Attack (C1) 1
[#42] Darth Maul: Sith Training (C1)
[#43] Anakin Skywalker: Tatooine Attack (C1) 3
[#44] Ki-Adi-Mundi: Jedi Master (C2) 3
[#45] Ephant Mon: Jabba's Head of Security (C2) 2
[#46] Teemto Pagalies: Pod Racer (C2) 4
[#47] Jango Fett: Slave 1 Pilot (C1) 1
[#48] Destroyer Droid: Geonosis Battle (C1)
[#49] Clonetrooper: Republic Gunship Pilot (C1) 20
[#50] Watto: Mos Espa Junk Dealer (C2) 1
[#51] Lott Dod: Neimodian Senator (C2) 5
[#52] Tusken Raider w/ Massiff (C2)
[#53] Yoda: Jedi High Council (C1) 1
[#54] Rebel Trooper: Tantive IV Defender (Head Sculpt 2)(C2)
[#54] Rebel Trooper: Tantive IV Defender (Head Sculpt 3)(C2)
[#55] Imperial Officer (Head Sculpt 2)(C2)1
[#55] Imperial Officer (Head Sculpt 3)(C2)1
[#56] Eeth Koth: Jedi Master (C2)
[#57] Teebo(C2)

So I bought 157 figures after Midnite Madness, for a total of $785 before taxes, and not counting vehicles and 12" figures.

So I'm thinking my estimate if good for non-movie years, but maybe I should save and extra 2-300 for 2005. It really depends a lot on who they make, how many scenes they are in, whether or not I like the figure or will wait for a better resculpt, etc. I am not a completist, as some of the figures post-Midnite Madness with a line drawn through them, means I never did buy them.

The earlier ones, I purchased all the quantity I needed in one blitzkreig at Midnite Madness or the morning after.

These counts might be slightly off by 1-2 figures here and there, but should be fairly accurate.