PDA

View Full Version : TOP 10 Holiday TOYS of the YEAR

plo koon 200
11-26-2003, 09:26 PM
I'm a little curious. What do all of you see as being the top 10 toys for both boys and girls. THIS IS NOT A LIST OF WHAT YOU SEE AS THE TOP 10 STAR WARS TOYS.

Thanks a lot everyone.

JediTricks
11-27-2003, 12:05 AM
Well, if it's the top 10 toys for kids, then I don't think Star Wars is going to be on it. It's just not a "hot" item this year, I think.

My niece went ape over the Hot Wheels Serpent Cyclone track set I got her for her birthday last week, and my TRU is now running pretty low on 'em, so I think that's going to be a big one, especially with it being in the TRU big book and Target lowering their price on it almost to half.

Bratz seems to be running high this year for girls.

With Gamecube at $99, that'll be pretty popular I bet. Games in general seem like they're going to be big this holiday.

They always say Power Rangers is big every year, but I don't see it this year.

Looking at TRU's top toys list, almost NONE of them look like anything that's "hot" in the stores I've been going to.

Mandalorian Candidat
11-27-2003, 01:06 AM
I don't think there's any one big breakout, must-have toy this year like Furby or Elmo but JT has a point about the video game systems. We don't have one but possibly will get one this year due to the lower Game Cube price.

Beast
11-27-2003, 01:12 AM
TMNT's selling pretty damn well, from what I've seen from the stores. My Wal-Marts had a ton of figures, put them on sale for $4.77 and they sold out every single one of them. Including the less popular Extreme Sports Turtles. Plus I've actually seen kids with them in the stores, which is a good sign.

The lines also getting high marks from adult and kid fans, because you can actually find the figures. Not once have I had to hunt for any figures, due to bad pack out ratios or shortpacking of villians/secondary characters. Or any of the other shenanigans that's killing lines like MOTU and Batman.

It must be doing pretty damn good, the line premired boasting 16 figures for 2003. Around 40 are coming in 2004. So I'd definatly say that the line is one of the toy toys of the year. And being snapped up by parents for Christmas Preasents for lil Billy and Susie. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
11-27-2003, 01:43 AM
I'm not hip to what's in as far as kids toys go. I buy for myself, and my son wants rollerblades for Christmas, oh and some bligin jewelry.

hango fett
11-27-2003, 06:52 AM
i have already read somewhere that the yugioh duel disc is the hottest and hardest to find item this year...
h

kool-aid killer
11-27-2003, 12:40 PM
Yeah i dont think there is one "must have" toy this year. JJB is right on the mark with the Turtles though, easiest toy line to collect by far. If somebody wanted they could go back and get all the figures right now and at a cheap price. I dont know how Power Rangers has managed to stay relatively popular for so long. I wouldnt include Star Wars but would say that the line remains popular.

Anybody know if Xbox or PS2 will go on sale someday soon? My mother wants to get my younger brother a system but i already have a Gamecube and dont see the point of getting another one. I would prefer she pick him up something different.

Turbowars
11-29-2003, 04:41 PM
My 5 year old cousin is crazy about Power Rangers. There's this new set that cost like 75 bucks, he wants that. He likes Star Wars, but likes the PR 's better.

master jedi
12-08-2003, 12:58 AM
My 5 year old niece likes Kim Possible and my 3 year old nephew likes Bob the Builder so maybe those will be popular this year with younger kids.
Since Return of the King comes out on the 17th so perhaps the merchandise from that will be extra popular.
Pirates of the Caribbean just came out on DVD and Freaky Friday will come to DVD soon so I expect these I expect these items to be very popular this X-Mas.

Jargo
12-08-2003, 07:28 AM
I don't care what's hot or not. All I care about is that there are damn kids out there bagging all the good toys! How dare they. Kids should be strapped into high security soundproofed rooms with 24/7 closed circuit surveilance monitioring. What on earth are people thinking giving toys to kids? It only encourages creativity and that leads to individuality and that leads to anarchy and that leads to civil unrest and before you know it the world is in chaos and there's damn 'rock 'n' pop' music everywhere and kids swearing and drinking alcohol and getting intimate with each other and growing their hair long and wearing ridiculous clothes and staying up late and not coming home until late and doing 'recreational' drugs and shooting each other and stealing and not using any form of the english language that is decipherable.

See toys are too good for kids. Don't give kids toys, it rots their minds and gives them unsavoury notions and ideas. Toys should be the reserve of adults who are clever enough to use toys wisely and not mash things up in a couple of days or swap them when they're bored for something of lesser value, or take them to the mall with them and get their parents arrested for shoplifting because the security didn't see the kid holding the toy as they walked into the toystore but only saw the kid walking out carying a loose figure that happens to be the latest hottest trend that despite every other store in the country getting in a week or two earlier this one store only just got.

Kids are a liability and not to be trusted with toys. They cost too much to be throwing good money away on them for kids to use.

Get your kids hooked on lawn upkeep or car washing or something constructive like that. Just don't give them toys. It's bad for them.

jjreason
12-08-2003, 01:44 PM
I think the big Transformer "Omicron" or whatever (the 75.00) is flying off the shelves up here. Every 12-13 year old boy I see in TRU is sprinting to get it. Video game systems remain popular, and are flying with the seasonal price drops. Still don't see many girls heading towards them, though. Karaoke machines geared toward kids are prominently displayed, and are seemingly popular (we happen to be getting one for Miranda from an aunt who won't be around to listen to the noise polution it will generate - lucky us! :D ). Lego seems to be flying.

What's NOT hot this year seems to be Lord of the Rings (though I think that will change once the movie drops - get your figures now) and the new Batman figures by Mattel. Warming pegs at a WalMart or TRU near you, if you're anything like us.

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 01:33 AM
Unicron is $50 here and piling up fast. Hasbro of course has a repaint already waiting in the wings for the Energon line because that way they can have 2 versions of the figure collecting dust in the biggest way possible. ;)

Exhaust Port
12-10-2003, 03:12 PM
I saw Unicron for sale today at $39. All the hype seems to have died on that figure.

kool-aid killer
12-10-2003, 09:55 PM
I dont think the hype on Unicron has died, perhaps many people are in my predicament which is i want to get him for my younger brother but obviously you cant play with him much like the rest of the Transformers Armada figures. And he takes up lots of space too. Care Bears seem to be doing well, i bought my neice one today.

JJ i think the reason LOTR figures arent doing so hot is because of the boring assortment that is out in mass (well at least in my area) of bendy Smeagol/Gollum, SA Gollum, and Treebeard. Not exactly the cream of the crop IMO.