PDA

View Full Version : What is up with Blockbuster Video???

derek
11-26-2003, 11:26 PM
maybe it's just my local blockbuster video store, or maybe it's a nation wide trend, but i've noticed blockbuster has taken a big dive as of late.

my local store has raised their DVD rental price to $5(which seems about twice what it used to be), the store seems really dirty, the employee dress code seems to have really relaxed, and not in a good way, as the employees look sloppy, the selection is sorry, for example i wanted to rent "jeepers creepers 2", but they didn't have any for rent because the one they had was "damaged", but they had 10 for sale. seems like they would open one up for folks to rent. :confused:

.......and now they aren't running the A/C.....all the "for sale" videos sit facing a window that allows the sun to shine in on them so all the cover art is super faded.......i could probably think of some more stuff, but i think i've made my point. it just seems like blockbuster has gone downhill really fast. anyone else notice these kinds of things?

Beast
11-27-2003, 12:28 AM
The rental business is dieing, so they're trying anything possible to cling to as much money as they can. With DVD purchase prices on the day of release averaging $15-$20, most people are opting to buy instead of rent.

Which is also why Blockbuster is trying to get the studios to do what they did with VHS. Rental windows, where movies are insanely expensive to purchase when they first come out ($100.00 or so), and having a period where they are rental exclusive.

Since the studios arn't going for it, you start seeing more and more stores scrambling for as much money as they can still milk out of the rental market before it dies. That's also why BBV has become a place that also sells movies a lot, and offers deals to buy them there.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-27-2003, 12:38 AM
Around here we have a chain called Family Video and they drove Blockbuster right out of town. Several years later BB came back but I've not gone in there once. I rarely rent and when I do, I sometimes have problems with defective DVDs. I'd honestly just rather rent it on VHS but they don't really offer Widescreen in that format.

good lord derek, I can't imagine what it's like to have A/C as an issue at this time of year. We had snow this week. :D

bobafrett
11-27-2003, 12:40 AM
I wouldn't know, as I have avoided Blockbuster for quite some time now. I very rarely rent anything anymore, and instead buy DVD's when they are on sale. If I do choose to rent something, there is a hollywood video right down the street.

derek
11-27-2003, 08:43 AM
good lord derek, I can't imagine what it's like to have A/C as an issue at this time of year. We had snow this week. :D

in texas the A/C is a requirement 24/7/365. ;).............well, there might be 10 days a year we can push it over 75 degrees. :crazed:

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 10:56 AM
I wouldn't know, as I have avoided Blockbuster for quite some time now. I very rarely rent anything anymore, and instead buy DVD's when they are on sale. If I do choose to rent something, there is a hollywood video right down the street.You want to know something funny? Blobckbuster and Hollywood Video are the same company. So when one ****ess you off you go across the street to the same company and you have no clue. My ex wife was a store manager of BBV a some time. But as you said I avoid BBV and the other 2. The 3rd is my Ex wife.:p

JediTricks
11-28-2003, 10:55 PM
Blockbuster is owned by Viacom, but Hollywood Video isn't.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 11:15 PM
Blockbuster is owned by Viacom, but Hollywood Video isn't.Oh, so another lie from my ex-wife LOL. Maybe it changed hands, this was almost 10 years ago.

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-28-2003, 11:52 PM
I was a "shift manager" at a Hollywood Video in columbus for a year and a half; not a bad gig at all. The pay isn't too good, but you get paid to meet gobs of great folks, watch movies all day and force your movie recommendations down the throats of the innocent!! I remember one day i worked an open to close and played the entire SW trilogy. My staff was really annoyed and tried to say that customers were complaining about it. I told them basically if they could find 15 things that were offensive in the trilogy, i'd turn it off. Needless to say, they didn't find anything wrong and i laughed and made those who opposed me clean the bathroom and straigthen the thousands of regular category movies in the store..hehehehehheehehehhehee oh, i miss those days!! :crazed:

Tell ya what though, when you meet people who follow your movie picks and "Managers recommendation" movies and compliment you, it makes the job seem much more worthwhile. heheheheheehehehehehe My minions; our time is at hand!!! :p

bobafrett
11-29-2003, 12:02 AM
To tell you the truth, the only reason I ever signed up for a Blockbuster card was I was trying to win the Yoda that they were giving away around the time EPII came out, or was it EPI? Anyway, one line on the entry blank asked for your membership #, so I got a card. I used it once to rent a video game for my son. The last time I was in there, it did look not quite as nice as they used to look.

JediTricks
11-29-2003, 02:08 AM
Oh, so another lie from my ex-wife LOL. Maybe it changed hands, this was almost 10 years ago.Blockbuster was owned by Wayne Huizenga until '94 when Viacom bought them. Hollywood Video was owned by Mark Wattles and took it to IPO in '93. It's possible your ex-wife worked at a franchise store that was owned by someone who owned a franchise of Hollywood Video as well, but the companies themselves have never been owned by the same entity as far as I can find.

2-1B
11-29-2003, 02:24 AM
So Huizenga sold off Blockbuster just like he did the Marlins, eh? :D
Blockbuster is in the tank and so were the Marlins after he cut their payroll. :crazed:

Maybe Blockbuster will mimick the Marlins big comeback this year. :confused:

darthvyn
11-30-2003, 04:47 PM
So Huizenga sold off Blockbuster just like he did the Marlins, eh? :D
Blockbuster is in the tank and so were the Marlins after he cut their payroll. :crazed:

Maybe Blockbuster will mimick the Marlins big comeback this year. :confused:

doubtful... the blockbuster around me is also in a state of decay... hollywood vid is a lot nicer, and has a better selection. they also have better late fee policies (if it's late, they charge you like you rented it again, instead of exhorbitant hourly fees, or whatever BB does...)

they also have a better ethic there - my g/f rented a dvd that had scratches on it, and took it back to HV - they took it out of circulation right away. some time before that, she had the same problem at BB, and the guy behind the counter just put it back in the stack to be restocked...

bobafrett
12-02-2003, 09:01 AM
I heard on the news today, that Viacom is getting close to dumping there 82% share in Blockbuster. I heard that the cheap sale of DVD's is making the renting market take a dive, as was mentioned earlier.

JediTricks
12-02-2003, 09:40 PM
I think with some restructuring, BB could return to being a viable chain, but they REALLY need to make sweeping changes at nearly every level (although I think their pricing isn't a main culprit with their downfall).

Tycho
12-04-2003, 03:29 AM
I still appreciate being able to rent. I don't want to buy movies I may not like. Then it's like renting anyway, but I have to take them to a music-trader or some place that buys used DVDs if I don't want to keep it.

Case in point, I just rented Hollywood Homicide. I don't think I'd want to own that movie, and if I ever get nostalgic for it (laugh please) I wouldn't mind going to rent it again.

I actually have a large movie collection. But I really want to curtail it to stuff I will want to watch over and over again.

I wouldn't mind the window of time before a movie on DVD was released and you could buy it, so that the rental market could have their time with it.

I still think BlockBusters are fun stores to have in your neighborhood, and I don't know if SunCoast or another company that sells to own could replace them (if retail to own was that much in demand that the one chain could replace the other, and still keep its draw of people, versus folks buying their movies in Target, or when shopping in the mall).

BlockBuster might only want to UP its quantity of new movies for sale, and offer them at prices comparative to Wal-Mart and Target, to keep the traffic flowing to them. Doing a movie-trader format with the store as well might also work.

They may do this now. I don't really pay attention. I know they have some movies for sale, but it is far fewer than what they have to rent.

I'd rearrange the store to only have the same movie in one place. On the "new release wall," all the Pirates of the Carribean videos would sit there, together, but separated by what was clearly marked "new for sale," "used for sale," and what was obviously "3-day rental."

They also charge more to rent newer movies, and less to rent older ones, in case nobody noticed since you all might always be after new releases. I also rent a fair share of older ones.

But I want to keep my BlockBuster. That's for sure.

JediTricks
12-05-2003, 12:35 AM
I also recently rented Hollywood Homocide, what a disappointment from something that had some really good elements. I spent like $4 or $5, if I ever rented it again, I would then be spending about the same as it would cost to BUY it. This seems to be a very strong reason why the rental industry is having trouble.

Oh, and Blockbusters near Hollywood Video usually have lower prices than other BBs, and the same prices for new releases as old ones.

derek
12-15-2003, 04:33 PM
i rented "dark city" on november 21st......i returned it on november 26th, but i just got a letter in the mail from blockbuster saying i owe them almost $30 for this movie i never returned and extended viewing fees.

i know i returned this movie, but i have no proof i did, as i dropped it off in the drop slot. so what can i do, other than "buy the movie" as the blockbuster clerk just suggested i do, or "go find it at my house", but i don't have it! :mad:

looks like i'll have to "get banned" from the store and deal with their collections people now. :rolleyes:

...........hello hollywood video, i guess......... :bored:

Beast
12-15-2003, 04:37 PM
That happened to me once before also, at Family Video. They eventually found it, but it had never been checked back in after I returned it. They apologized greatly for all the greif they'd put me through over it. And to this day I never return a DVD through those blasted slots anymore. I take it right to the front desk, and they check it back in. I don't care if they're busy as hell, I tell them the tale as last time. And they either do it, or I'll find another worker that will. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Jedi Leanne
12-15-2003, 09:27 PM
I never rent anymore. DVD's are pretty cheap and chances are, if I'm going to like a movie enough that I'd want to rent it, I'd buy it instead.

Old Fossil
12-16-2003, 12:19 AM
i rented "dark city" on november 21st......i returned it on november 26th, but i just got a letter in the mail from blockbuster saying i owe them almost $30 for this movie i never returned and extended viewing fees.

i know i returned this movie, but i have no proof i did, as i dropped it off in the drop slot. so what can i do, other than "buy the movie" as the blockbuster clerk just suggested i do, or "go find it at my house", but i don't have it! :mad:

looks like i'll have to "get banned" from the store and deal with their collections people now. :rolleyes:

...........hello hollywood video, i guess......... :bored:

What you need to do is contact that store. Do it by phone first, if you like. Speak to the manager on duty, not a CSR (Customer Service Rep.). Explain the situation. Chances are the movie got missed at check-in time, and was put back out on the shelf. Since Dark City is not a new release film, there's a good chance no one has picked it up to rent it since you brought it back to the store; therefore, no one would be alerted to the fact that it is still technically checked out to you.

All that is on the assumption that your BBV is not doing its regular daily FOS report. FOS stands for "Found On Shelf." It is a report run every day by the daytime M.O.D., listing every film more than two days late. The MOD takes the list and checks each copy listed to ensure that if the list says the movie is still out, that it actually is. If the film is FOS, it is taken and a "FOS Check-in" is done, which helps prevent late fees being charged to the customer's account when they shouldn't have any.

Now with the holiday season I know that many stores are not doing their FOS reports as they should. There simply isn't time. But that means that BBV MOD's should -- SHOULD -- take that into consideration when confronted with a situation like this one. When you call, ask the MOD to check the shelf for your movie while you are on the phone. If they are at all worth anything they'll offer to do it, without hesitation; it's not like BBV's are huge stores like Wal-Mart. A walk to the shelf should take two minutes at the most.

If all else fails and the movie still cannot be located, ask the MOD to look at your account history. If you have a history of excessive credits and late fees, or this has happened before and you ended up finding the movie, then you may be held liable for the cost of the film. However, if your account is in good standing, and (especially) if you have had your account for a long time (i.e., over two years), the MOD will want to keep your business and will do what needs to be done to ensure that you do not have to pay for the costs of the tape. Your continued rents are worth more than a one-time film replacement charge and the loss of your business.

Believe me, I know. I'm an assistant manager at a BBV franchisee. ;) At least, until I become a rich and famous novelist. :beard:

Mandalorian Candidat
12-16-2003, 02:13 PM
I haven't rented a video in eons, except for Aliens last Halloween because I was given a BBV rental card. I just can't force myself to shell out the $4+ they want for a movie that most likely I will only watch the first night I get it. Do they still do 99 cent/one night rentals?

I miss the days of the common mom-and-pop video rental joints of the 80s/early 90s. I can't seem to find one around here. <<in best old fart voice>> I remember when new releases were something like $1.50 and everything else was around $1. I wish someone would come back with a format like that.

Turbowars
12-16-2003, 06:33 PM
Believe me, I know. I'm an assistant manager at a BBV franchisee. ;) At least, until I become a rich and famous novelist. :beard:LOL, I was a CSR back in High school. I hated every minute of it. I hated the customers because they lied all the time. My ex-wife was the MOD and I hate her too. I remember the long nights shrink wrapping the VHS Tapes and putting those stupid Metal strips in them. Oh and waiting for the damn Carpet cleaners was a hoot too.:dead:

derek
12-16-2003, 07:56 PM
Believe me, I know. I'm an assistant manager at a BBV franchisee. At least, until I become a rich and famous novelist

i've already been down to the store. they said they did inventory the other day and the video isn't in the store. it's not on the shelf, we checked.:)

i rented the "original star wars film" on VHS and the DVD of "dark city" on the same day. i returned them both a few days later. the "star wars" VHS was credited as being returned, but not the "dark city" DVD.

i know i returned the film, but have no proof i did. i know i didn't "loose" the movie. when i rent a DVD or tape, i set it on top of my TV, watch it and then return it.

i've been renting at this same blockbuster since it was build near my home over 6 or 7 years ago. i've had the occasional late fee, but always paid them. if i had lost or destroyed the movie, i'd gladly replace it, but i know i took it back to the store. :cry:

Old Fossil
12-20-2003, 11:14 AM
Derek, sounds like you have done all you can do. Hard to say what would be the best course of action for you to take. If you do nothing, then your account will eventually go to collections and you will be sent a bill in the mail for the cost of the movie + late charges. If you still do nothing, it could negatively impact your overall credit history. Much depends on the attitude of the store manager to you and your situation... if you have a good rapport with them, it might make things easier. Managers DO have the ability to take an item out of inventory and basically write it off as a loss (with no adverse affect to your account whatsoever)... if yours is a corporate Blockbuster, not a franchisee like mine, the store manager has a great deal of autonomy to do such things. If he or she is smart, and wants to keep your business (you sound like a good, regular customer), they will take that route. Hope it works out to your satisfaction!

On a side note... the 'industry' rumor mill has it that Blockbuster Video is looking to sell of many of its corporate stores to franchisees, though the price is high and the stores they want to get rid of, while profitable, are old and in need of expensive repairs and renovations.

scruffziller
12-21-2003, 05:44 PM
Yea movie rentals had their place in time more so back when buying the video was like $100. But since we have cheap access to buying the movies now it is a dying trade. The rental place I have here is like only a $1-$2 RENTAL. Dirt cheap compared to at a Blockbuster.

derek
01-03-2004, 09:32 PM
apparently the blockbuster video stores in my area aren't connected via computers, as i've found i can be accused of losing/stealing from one store and still rent from another. lol