PDA

View Full Version : Lottery...Job?

stillakid
11-27-2003, 01:11 PM
CHICAGO (Nov. 26) - The Chicago area's garbage strike was a nuisance for many, but now it smells sweet to two lottery winners who had mistakenly thrown their $10.5 million ticket in the trash.

Chicago resident Ezekiel ''Zeek'' Garnett, 27, and his sister, Karen, 24, bought an Illinois Lotto ticket Oct. 4 in Niles but threw it out without checking the numbers. Their mother then heard that a ticket sold in Niles was a winner, and she checked the trash with her daughter.

Thanks to the nine-day garbage strike last month, the ticket matching all six numbers was in a bag still waiting to be picked up, lottery officials said.

''This will definitely help me live more comfortably. But I'm still keeping my job at UPS,'' Zeek Garnett said Wednesday.

She's still keeping her job at UPS, huh. Is this the "right" thing to do? Aside from the fact that she doesn't really have to have a 9-5 anymore, by keeping her job, she is taking the place of someone who probably could really use it.

Thoughts? :confused:

Exhaust Port
11-27-2003, 04:07 PM
It depends I guess. She could become the worst employee they've ever seen. What motivation can someone have when they don't need the job for a livelyhood? Provide a poor quality work and she won't care nor need to worry about repercussions. I know that I probably would do more harm to the moral of the other employees and degrade the quality of the labor efficency. Why do that to your fellow workers?

Now there is a chance that she'd remain a valuable employee but I doubt that it would really last. As soon as work would become boring or difficult (it happens even at the best of jobs) she would either quit or stick it out and slack off.

As for taking money from someone else who would be more appriciative of a pay raise or a job all together. Well, no matter the personal financial situation of an employee they have a right to that job. If someone has 2 kids, should they give up the job to someone who has 6? No. If someone's spouse makes a lot of money should they have a less paying job to "equal out" their pay to their fellow workers? Nope.

There is also a good chance that her job doesn't bring in that much money anyway. Most of the jobs at a UPS or FedEx are low-skill, low education required jobs. Even in tough times they are easily replaceable. On any given day I can find similarly paying jobs in the want ads here. Even if it was high skill profession then she has ever right to stay. A skilled brain surgeon makes a lot more money than the average worker. If he wins the lottery should he step down for some other brain surgeon to step in? I hope not. A persons professional skills are very unique and can be tough to replace or duplicate. If your skilled you might be doing more of a disservice by leaving your job than by keeping some other future employee from stepping in.

As far as I'm concerned she earned the job and only her performance can keep her there. If her motivation disappears then she should be replaced, the same as any non-lottery winning employee.

If it really bothers someone then they should be playing the lottery. The odds are the same for you as the eventual winner to leave with millions in your pocket. As they say, you can't win if you don't play.

2-1B
11-27-2003, 04:11 PM
I would strongly encourage that person to keep a job. A good number of lottery winners go broke because they don't know how to handle the money. Build a huge nest egg and keep working. A good work ethic goes much further than just a paycheck, anyway.

derek
11-27-2003, 07:04 PM
is keeping her job the right thing to do? .........yes. despite what some say, there are no lack of jobs in this country. just a lack of willing workers.

maybe she enjoys her work. some people actually do love their jobs........but i doubt she'll last the next year there. maybe some reporter will do a follow up on her a year from now and see if she is still employed.

i'd say she should keep working, as she's only gonna probably get 2 or 3 million after taxes and after splitting her winnings, and after her long lost cousins and friends come knocking for their "share". she could easily blow through that in a few years if she isn't careful.

so, stillakid, tell us what you really think? folks who make a few million should quit working so they "get out of the way" and allow those less fortunate a chance to move up the ladder? ;)

Turbowars
11-27-2003, 10:58 PM
Man, I'd quit in a second, in fact I wouldn't even call to tell them I was not coming in. My job is too dangerous to be thinking about what I going to spend my money on next and be 200 feet in the air. I think I'd go back to school and do what I really wanted to do in life. Put most of the cash in the bank, buy my parents a new home and go straight to the Dodge dealer and pick up my White on blue Viper.:cool:

stillakid
11-27-2003, 11:28 PM
so, stillakid, tell us what you really think? folks who make a few million should quit working so they "get out of the way" and allow those less fortunate a chance to move up the ladder? ;)

There are arguments either way. I just did this "thing" with a well-known and very wealthy movie producer and I did in fact get to thinking the question, "why is he still doing this?" He doesn't need any more money for certain. I'm sure he absolutely loves his job so why stop? I also met this other guy last week who sells toys for a living (Ebay store) and literally makes millions a year doing it. He told me that it isn't about the money anymore. Really. He was totally sincere. He said he has enough to do everything he's ever wanted. Got the house, got the Hummer, got the toys (not our kind, but rich people kind). So he just continues because...well, because.

So anyway, when talking about jobs like that...highly skilled, or politically placed, or self-made, certainly leaving it would not necessarily translate into an "open space" for someone else to fill. Arguably, there are unlimited positions when it comes to a specialty job or career.

But when it comes to what amounts to a wanted ad kind of job, the woman in question is a placeholder until someone else in need of a 9-5 comes along. This isn't a communist country so she's entitled to keep whatever position she has no matter how much she makes, but I suppose I'm asking this from a more "ethical" standpoint or something like that. There certainly isn't one right answer or anything, and lord knows, I don't know what I'd do if a pile o' cash dropped in my lap, but it's just one of those "hmm?" kind of questions.

Exhaust Port
11-27-2003, 11:30 PM
For me there are a few things I still want to accomplish professionally for no other reason than personal satisfaction. Beyond that I would love to think that I would keep my current job but that's not something I can honestly answer without being in those shoes. I'm sure that not having to worry about money would lighten my amount of stress at work. Just sit back and enjoy the ride. :)

Of course, having tens of millions in the bank could be a full time job in itself. I think my own airplane would be a nice way to start.

Kidhuman
11-28-2003, 09:16 AM
I would keep my job just for sheer boredom reasons. I wouldnt wanna get bored at home. Part time would do me fine.

bobafrett
11-28-2003, 10:04 AM
Yes, but if I had that much money, I could be on eBay 24/7 filtering through all the Star Wars goodies! I know I wouldn't work, unless the jackpot was only for a million. I won $1,000 on a scratch lottery ticket, hardly enough to retire on.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 10:38 AM
I'm sorry, but IMHO you guys that say you would keep your job are full of it. Keep it because you would beored? Man there'a so many things you could do with the cash. I certainly wouldn't sit at a desk or hang off sides of buildings having a boss on you all the time. Beside, everyone at your job would find out one way or another and either want to be buddies or just plain out hate you. There's travel, there's starting a new buisness to keep you rich, there' Vagas. I just can't believe you would keep your jobs? :rolleyes:

Kidhuman
11-28-2003, 10:46 AM
I'm not saying sit at a desk or something. UPS I would keep, after all u need benefits. SO what, someplace to go to kill a few hours a day. And I wouldnt tell a soul I won money.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 10:52 AM
I'm not saying sit at a desk or something. UPS I would keep, after all u need benefits. SO what, someplace to go to kill a few hours a day. And I wouldnt tell a soul I won money.I guess you would drive your car you have now to work to, right? Not me, I'd show up in my Viper. I couldn't keep it to myself, I have to much of a big mouth.:D

Kidhuman
11-28-2003, 10:55 AM
LOL Turbo. Show up to a 20k a year part time job in a viper with chauffer.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 10:59 AM
LOL Turbo. Show up to a 20k a year part time job in a viper with chauffer.No chauffeur, there isn't enough room in there for 2, LOL. There's another point I was making. You can't "show up to a 20k a year job in a Viper" What are you going to do? Live a secrete life? No you quit.:cool:

Exhaust Port
11-28-2003, 11:02 AM
...there's starting a new buisness to keep you rich...
You don't believe someone would keep a job yet you say you would start a business with your money? A bit hypocritical isn't it? Starting a business is a job and being willing to slave away at your own project is similar to doing the same for someone else. Some would rather work for someone else than deal with the non-stop hassle of running their own business. Perhaps you just want more work for yourself once your rich.

A lot of jobs offer opportunities for those that don't want to work full time. I would rather have that then sit around all day counting my money. A friend of mine is rich enough that he doesn't have to work, in fact he's never had a job. Even with all his cars and other crap he's the most lonely, bored guy I know.

I would see an opportunity to have that dream job that you always wanted. There are a few jobs that I would think would be fun to do but can't pursue them due to the crappy pay. Actually I had always wanted to work at a toy store growing up so during the last 2 Christmas seasons I did just that for about 3 months at a time. I didn't really need the money, though it did help pay for gifts, but I found the job to be tons of fun and somewhat satisfying. It was tough to work it around my normal job schedule but in the end I think it was worth it.

Turbowars
11-28-2003, 11:07 AM
You don't believe someone would keep a job yet you say you would start a business with your money? A bit hypocritical isn't it? Starting a business is a job and being willing to slave away at your own project is similar to doing the same for someone else. Some would rather work for someone else than deal with the non-stop hassle of running their own business. Perhaps you just want more work for yourself once your rich.

A lot of jobs offer opportunities for those that don't want to work full time. I would rather have that then sit around all day counting my money. A friend of mine is rich enough that he doesn't have to work, in fact he's never had a job. Even with all his cars and other crap he's the most lonely, bored guy I know.

I would see an opportunity to have that dream job that you always wanted. There are a few jobs that I would think would be fun to do but can't pursue them due to the crappy pay. Actually I had always wanted to work at a toy store growing up so during the last 2 Christmas seasons I did just that for about 3 months at a time. I didn't really need the money, though it did help pay for gifts, but I found the job to be tons of fun and somewhat satisfying. It was tough to work it around my normal job schedule but in the end I think it was worth it.Dude, If you are rich, you pay someone to run the business.:rolleyes: Beside if you plan on staying rich you need the money to keep coming. Unless you have 50 mill you wont make much if you think the bank will pay you. Working your 30 40 hour a week certainly wont get you anywhere, unless your job is your life.

Tonysmo
11-29-2003, 02:30 AM
If I were to win something so cool as the lottery, Id keep right on workin. Id certainly take a break. Id also switch jobs. Id work at something that pleases me. Like.. professional fisherman. Yep. Id buy that ranger and start fishing tournys. Maybe Id open a collectibles shop. One of these days Im gonna drop cash on a case of UD football cards. Spend the entire day bustin packs and resellin them on Ebay or in my own shop. Its the little things like that.. Maybe Id go back to school. Id certainly have the time. Id love to learn how to actually be productive in building.. well. anything. I sorta dispise those guys who can come in and wire your house, redo the bathroom, and throw on a new roof cause they had the time. Its not a depise in a bad way.. ( is there any other way ? ) maybe more of a jealous - damn I wish I could do that. I dont see myself hiding behind it. I also dont see it lasting very long for me. Id prolly go broke. Id buy waaay to much stupid shtuff.

but bottom line is Id keep working. something. couldnt not work. Its just not me.

Turbowars
11-29-2003, 10:09 AM
LOL, well fishing isn't really a job now is it? Guys get paid to do it, but they are the lucky ones. I never said don't stay busy. There's tons of stuff to do. I love Hobbies, I'd fly RC plains, get back into 1/8 scale gas RC cars, go to racing school and race Vipers. Man it's endless. I'd go to the hot clubs and hang around the Hilton Sisters, maybe not, my wife probably wouldn't like that. Hell she would probably let me anyways.;)

stillakid
11-29-2003, 06:08 PM
With money comes the opportunity to either spend it as an international man of leisure, or to use it to start and "investment" opportunity which would potentially give you an income plus it would potentially employ others. So while it might seem that one is being "selfish," at the same time that fortune could be used to help others (help themselves.)

But then again, even Ferrari factory owners have families. Point being, the worst thing one could do would be to simply stuff the cash under the mattress. Spending redistributes resources to others who could really use it, so no one should ever look down on anyone who buys luxury items.

derek
11-29-2003, 08:00 PM
LOL, well fishing isn't really a job now is it? Guys get paid to do it, but they are the lucky ones. I never said don't stay busy. There's tons of stuff to do. I love Hobbies, I'd fly RC plains, get back into 1/8 scale gas RC cars, go to racing school and race Vipers. Man it's endless. I'd go to the hot clubs and hang around the Hilton Sisters, maybe not, my wife probably wouldn't like that. Hell she would probably let me anyways.;)

........and you'd be one of those lottery winners who are poor again after 5 or 10 years. :crazed: