PDA

View Full Version : "Making Episode III Webdocs" Images

Pendo
11-27-2003, 03:58 PM
The first of a series of "Making ofs" started for Hyperspace members today. Looks like it's a monthly thing.

Here's some interesting images from the first episode. There are 30 images here, and look out for some interesting consept scetches including an early Anakin design, and some lava location designs. Alderaan weapons, and lightsaber test footage :).

PENDO!

Pendo
11-27-2003, 04:00 PM
More images

PENDO!

Pendo
11-27-2003, 04:02 PM
:rolleyes: and more...

PENDO!

Pendo
11-27-2003, 04:04 PM
Anyone else thinking I went a little too image mad? :crazed:

PENDO!

Pendo
11-27-2003, 04:05 PM
yes, there's more... :dead:

PENDO!

Pendo
11-27-2003, 04:07 PM
Last batch now :)

PENDO!

Jedi_Master_Guyute
11-27-2003, 04:41 PM
These lightsaber battle images are making me foam at the mouth!! I can't wait for Episode III!!
Many thanks Pendo!! Cheers! :D

plo koon 200
11-28-2003, 03:44 AM
Just saw this and love it. We see the lava planet and the Star Destroyer and that one awesome set seems to be that part in the Death Star where Luke and Leia swing. I can no longer wait to see film. Must see now.

plo koon 200
11-28-2003, 03:45 AM
PS thank god they changed Anakin's look. I broke out laughing when I saw what they originally planned.

scruffziller
11-28-2003, 08:24 AM
I really like those Anikin conept drawings. The artist did a real good job at capturing the essence of both Hayden and Mark in one face.......eerie.:crazed:

That photo with GL mackin' on those young office girls was too much.:D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
11-28-2003, 12:21 PM
Thanks Pendo!

So, does Anakin have short hair? It looks it in the battle scenes, but definitely not in those old pics from a while ago. Dear God I hope he doesn't wear that stupid leather no shirt ponytail mohawk combo thing. :dead:

Jargo
11-28-2003, 12:37 PM
I actually think the look is alright but not on Hayden. He looks about twelve in that pic. Nice physique though.
Some terrible design concepts running through those pics though. The Jedi fighter cockpit is dreadful. Don't think much to Padme's apartment either.
I fear the worst of the worst with this movie. If George handles the pregnacy the same way he did the love story then I'm gonna puke violently all over the theater. Grievous sounds as farcical as say, the CGI C-3PO and R2. Thanks for the pics Pendo.

plo koon 200
11-28-2003, 02:38 PM
Thanks Pendo!

So, does Anakin have short hair? It looks it in the battle scenes, but definitely not in those old pics from a while ago. Dear God I hope he doesn't wear that stupid leather no shirt ponytail mohawk combo thing. :dead:

If you watch the Doc Lucas states he is not going with that design. Actually, George's expression was kind of that of embarrassment when he saw the Anakin pics. Throughout most of the film Ani will have longer hair like we have seen in earlier pics.

plo koon 200
11-28-2003, 02:39 PM
I actually think the look is alright but not on Hayden. He looks about twelve in that pic. Nice physique though.
Some terrible design concepts running through those pics though. The Jedi fighter cockpit is dreadful. Don't think much to Padme's apartment either.
I fear the worst of the worst with this movie. If George handles the pregnacy the same way he did the love story then I'm gonna puke violently all over the theater. Grievous sounds as farcical as say, the CGI C-3PO and R2. Thanks for the pics Pendo.
Actually, I must say Jargo that the doc has somewhat restored my faith in this final film. However I'm behind you on the Grievous thing. Lucas has no need for a new villian in this last film.

Jargo
11-28-2003, 06:46 PM
Hmm, well after i posted i went away and started thinking about other turkey sequels like the Matrix nonsense and stuff like that and i thought to myself, it can't be as bad as some of these movies surely? But I think in all honesty it's going to be a two layer movie, one is trying to be a star wars movie and the other is trying to pull in a paying audience to make sure they get decent box office returns. I mean Lucas is using up some shelved concepts here, going back to the roots of his saga but at the same time he appears to be throwing dumbed down crapola into the mix.
It seems there's a lot of planet hopping in the story, jumping from location to location like a frenzied ADD sufferer. If the editing of AOTC is anything of an indication of how this one will feel then it'll be a disappointment. The fast zooms and camera shake of the geonosis battle were really nice effects but not for a story that is told in the third person. It ruined the moment really. I'm truly hoping that Lucas stays well away from that sort of gimmick for EPIII.
I can't help wondering if the Tantive IV will be a major vehicle in the story or just a ferry ship. If it were to be used a lot then I would hope hasbroken would make a toy version finally. A big kickbutt vehicle/playset thing that makes the royal starship from EPI look pathetic in comparison. I mean Lucas goes to the trouble of putting all these action sequences into the movie and hasbroken choose to make the most inactive vehicles and the most obscure ones like the flash speeder and Gungan ammo wagon. The geo fighter.
It would be nice if the toy giant could actually get their act together and make stuff that is exciting to own and use. functional and devoid of added play features like firing missiles where there were none or stupid pathetic 'crash and bash' features where there were none.
If they want to add stuff then opening compartments and accesories would be more beneficial to selling a toy. increase the play value and lose the aggresive side of things. Kids can use their imaginations for that stuff anyway.
I digress.
I'm not terribly excited by the prospect of the final movie but as i see fragments I'm becoming more and more intrigued by certain elements. Designs and characters, technologies and locations. Alien races and cultures.
I really hope we get to see the homeworld of the Mon Calamari. Forget the clone wars cartoon version, I'm talking proper vistas and buildings and society, like how these fishfaces survive out of water. Why are there so many aquatic creatures in star wars who aren't in aquatic environments and why don't they drown in the air and heat of tatooine? Why are there so few non bipedal Aliens? ROTJ had it's fair share of weird aliens at Jabba's court but in these prequels there's nothing but humanoid aliens or aliens adopting humanoid traits and posture. A little diversity wouldn't go amiss.
People talk about George's wonderful vision but frankly he's really quite dull and conservative when it comes to alien civillisations and physiology. Even when he picks something different he still anthropomorphosises it, ANH and ESB had real looking creatures, creatures you felt you could see if you went to a zoo. But ROTJ started down the cartoon road with some creatures and had decent looks on others. The prequels have had cartoon looking critters with movements that look false. But not as bad as the CGI droids though. God spare us from CGI droids. You expect that when you watch the movies you'll have to suspend disbelief to enjoy the story but with the CGI droids that is just asking too much. Theoretically CGI droids should be the easiest thing to animate because they're just machines, repeated movement cycles, standardized movement patterns. But what do we get? Droids with metal arms and legs that bend and move in non metallic ways and joints that defy physics. Alien technology or not, cheated metal joints are cheated metal joints and metal doesn't bend like rubber. Not to mention the anthropomorphosising of the droids so they have human characteristics and mannerisms. Battle droids with chin rubbing mannerisms or double takes or trepidation -emotions in a drone battle droid? What were they thinking? R2 flying is a joke. It didn't even look like R2, too short and too fat. Those tiny thrusters would never have provided enough lift for him to get more than a couple of feet into the air without toppling forward or backwards.
C-3PO in CGI didn't work. no way no how did that look anything like the way Anthony Daniels moves. The CGI effects didn't match the real costume and I never once felt fooled into thinking it did. Dreadful sequence that ruined a section of the movie.
In my honest opinion Lucas is trying to cram too much into this movie if the reports are anything like half truths. Too many battles and not enough acting. Too much CGI and not enough real emotional response to surroundings. It'll just be another acting by numbers movie overfilled with CGI and in jokes, far too many costume changes and far too many sweeping panoramic shots of CGI landscape paintings. Batle sequences fit for a computer game but not for the screen so you lose the thread of who is who and what's actually happening, jumpy editing and 'aren't I clever' camera moves. Then there's a score that will be edited to hell because Lucas always cuts stuff at the last minute and adds stuff when there's no time to write new music or edit it properly. Then there's the over loud sound effects whose source is blatantly obvious. Alien languages made up on synthesised noises that sound like they came from a synthesiser.
Just so much trying to impress needlesly and a rough mix of lazy half baked work and apathetic concepts.

How can I say this wthout watching the movie? Because if you look at any of the pictures so far and the reports coming out of the official sources then it's clear that this movie is intended to compete with others, to wow people rather than simply wind up the story. It'll be flabby and inefficient mark my words.

And of course no matter what I say I'm marked as a heretic and naysayer. I'm simply not dazzled by whizzbang special effects and action sequences. I'm not impresed with wooden stilted marking it through acting. I'm not bamboozled by hero speak dialog. Fancy set pieces and costumes are pretty to look at in a book but they don't make a movie any better. What makes a movie better is a real director who knows what he's doing with the actors and a good script.
And as Lucas prefers to make it all up as he goes along what hope is there of any of that? All he'll end up with is a cobbled together hotch potch mess of a movie and buttkiss McCallum running around saying how proud everyone is to have made such a fantastic movie. Like anyone cares. As long as people get paid for their work they couldn't give a rats patooey about the movie. Actors take a star wars role to raise their profile a notch not for the prestige of being in the movie or the money. It's a career move and most of the actors involved find Lucas to be a dull geek of a man and hate the process of working with him. Anyone who believes otherwise is just gullible and naive. Actors are contracted to promote the movie and say they liked the proces because they've been paid to say that stuff. Because they can continue to cash in on their work on the movie for years to come if they carry on the pretense.
Even Sam Jackson is using star wars as a rung up the ladder. His anecdotes ring false and he's just furthering his career like all the rest of them.

Star wars is just a mchine slowly rolling ever forwards. The franchises and merchandise keep it moving, but it's all so shallow now, empty and devoid of life. Production line values apply to everything star wars. It isn't a movie it's simply a product. just another one churned out. formulaic and bland.
Let's face it, sometime soon the original trilogy will be remade and become even more bland and homogenous than this prequel trilogy.

plo koon 200
11-29-2003, 12:47 PM
I pray that last statemment is not true Jargo.

I'm also worried about the jumps that are supposed to happen. Too much in too shor to of a time. I think that there may just be a chance that Lucas does not go to far. We will have to see. But I think you are right this is just another formulatic piece of eye candy. How many battles are we getting? We are getting 4 lightsaber duels. Since when does any Star Wars film need so many?

Turambar
11-29-2003, 01:49 PM
I have been feeling the same way, Jargo. Thanx for putting that out there.

Pendo
12-05-2003, 03:30 AM
We are getting 4 lightsaber duels. Since when does any Star Wars film need so many?
Since George Lucas realised that he couldn't write a good story :rolleyes:.

PENDO!

Anakin2121
12-05-2003, 11:01 AM
Where do you get the 4 from?
I'm guessing the duels are Anakin & Obi-Wan, Sidious & someone, Obi-Wan & Grevious, and Anakin & Mace.

[DSS]Pedr0
12-05-2003, 11:22 AM
We are getting 4 lightsaber duels. Since when does any Star Wars film need so many?
Why not so many?? I would love to see these duels take longer than all of the others we have seen in the PT. TPM was great because of the intensity and length. AoTC was good, could have been better tho if they hadn't cut down Obi's duel and then Anakin's. Those 2 could have been longer. So EP III needs lots of duels at extended lengths. CUZ I WANT EYE CANDY!!! :crazed:

CloneTrooperMace
12-11-2003, 08:10 PM
A pic of Padme w/Baby!

derek
12-11-2003, 08:34 PM
A pic of Padme w/Baby!

can someone verify this is a real "official" site photo? this seems like they are showing way too much. wouldn't the actors be in front of a green screen? i can't believe they would have effects shots done yet.

i say it's fake............nice, but very fake. lol i bet that photo of padme is a photoshopped natalie from "where the heart is" or "cold mountain" holding her baby. :classic:

plo koon 200
12-11-2003, 09:19 PM
It looks fake to me. I have not seen that pic on Hyperspace.

plo koon 200
12-11-2003, 09:20 PM
I'm guessing the duels are Anakin & Obi-Wan, Sidious & someone, Obi-Wan & Grevious, and Anakin & Mace.
Begining Anakin Dooku
Middle Mace Anakin
Later Yoda Sidious
End Anakin Obi-Wan

All four of these are pretty much confirmed.

tagmac
12-11-2003, 10:08 PM

Forget Obi-Wan & Greivous....have we forgotten about the obvious Anakin vs. Dooku?

Pendo
12-12-2003, 03:12 AM
Those 3 pics above are deffinate fakes. The Hyperspace one has not been posted anywhere on the official site, and if it was it wouldn't have been such bad quality!

PENDO!

2-1B
12-13-2003, 12:10 AM
That, and Mayhew has not even filmed his scenes as Chewie yet. :rolleyes:

derek
12-13-2003, 07:46 AM
Those 3 pics above are deffinate fakes. The Hyperspace one has not been posted anywhere on the official site, and if it was it wouldn't have been such bad quality!

PENDO!

the two i posted are real. they are from "where the heart is" and "cold mountain". lol

jedicaro
12-16-2003, 07:28 PM
She looks pretty tho, but leia was even more beautiful, she rocks. I hope anakin looks hunkier than the picks :p

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-16-2003, 07:33 PM
She looks pretty tho, but leia was even more beautiful, she rocks. I hope anakin looks hunkier than the picks :p

I hope Anakin looks exactly like that in the movie... he looks like a young screwed up Jedi with an attitude problem.

At least we got Hayden and not James Van Der Beek from Dawson's Creek! When I heard he was in the running for the part of Anakin, I nearly fainted. lol :rolleyes:

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-16-2003, 07:59 PM
Welcome to the forums by the way jedicaro.. JarJarBinks will be along soon to welcome you. :) ;)

CloneTrooperMace
12-24-2003, 11:28 AM
I heard that on Hyperspace they have a beautiful pic of Natalie Portman.Anyone seen it?

Pendo
12-24-2003, 12:01 PM
That's in the Before the Helmet thread :).

I ain't posting any more images from the Webdocs, but the latest one was quite cool. We get to see the beginings of the Vader costume :D!!! I'm glad he won't be CGI! It will be Hayden in the suit, which worries me a little, I hope they won't show that it's him.
We got to see some more sets, some Wookie costumes, and some more of Anakin and Obi-Wan's new look :). Oh and a little bit of the duel which looks AMAZING!!!!! :D

PENDO!

CloneTrooperMace
12-24-2003, 04:33 PM
Yeah,I have seen that one.But there is another one.It was in todays Beacon all it was the image below.I was looking for a bigger and fuller pic of her.

Click here (http://www.starwars.com/site/homingbeacon/img/101/101_beacon_snap1.jpg)

lisgraa
12-26-2003, 11:00 AM
Does any of you have a bigger picture of that small one?

Id really like to see it! :D

Dark_PadawanZ
12-27-2003, 03:24 AM
I love it! Anakin and Padme in costume for a scene-- 2nd Making of E3!
? (http://www.natalieportman.com/images/movies/swep3/making_ep_3_doc_2-6.jpg)
?? (http://www.natalieportman.com/images/movies/swep3/making_ep_3_doc_2-7.jpg)
Obi .... ??? (http://www.natalieportman.com/images/movies/swep3/making_ep_3_doc_2-5.jpg)
need more PICS ??? please!!! Proto-Vader,lightsaber for the duel ??

Billy_Dee_Binks
01-03-2004, 12:39 PM
I think of Travis Bickle (from Taxi Driver) when looking at Anakin on the 27th web camera image. :eek:
The first time I ever say these images. Anyway, I love the look of Padmé balcony on Coruscant in the artwork.

Damn, itīs only January. Thatīs eleven months before the teaser, right? :bored: