PDA

View Full Version : Boy, did you blow it

rherk
11-28-2003, 02:19 AM
Yeah, I just gotta say, I saw some pics of the new Luke Jedi knight loose and boy, did you guys blow it! The "final" pics of the cloak is terrible. I was definitely one of people who prefered plastic but when I saw the promo pics and the one on the pack of the package, I was ok with it but the actual finished product! Achh! It looks pitiful! Man, I was really getting excited by Star Wars toys again. I mean really diggin all the pics of new stuff but my favorite and most beloved character and outfit was masacred!

I know this probably seems harsh and a bit disgruntled about a "silly piece of plastic" or maybe in this case more so "a silly piece of cloth but I spend a lot of time and money in this hobby and so do many others. There is truly no reason for such a large company with such a large and important license, to be putting out such mediocre quality! So many smaller companies are putting out products that are far superior to what you guys are doing. The only problem, I don't care about the product.

If it's costs that are causing it. Please feel free. Charge me another buck per figure. I don't care and to be honest (not speaking for everyone) but i think a large majority of collectors too could handle it if we were getting what was expected.

Hasbro, I think you really dropped the ball on this one. I know I have yet to see this figure/cloak first hand. I may in fact change my opinion but by the looks of what I saw in some photos of the figure fresh off the card, that cloak is an insault. It's bad enough that the color is wrong but the cloak used, isn't sized right and looks cheap.

All that excitment and joy I was getting from many of the press photos of the new product has turned into pure disappointment and saddness that a company can have so much disregard for their customers and for the Star Wars license.

Beast
11-28-2003, 02:27 AM
Your opinion, looks great to me. Especially after the last Luke: Jedi's that came before it that were basically abominations. The only thing is missing is the ball jointed shoulders, and I'm not going to fault them for that. And the cloak looks okay, especially in comparison to the awful plastic peice of crap on the Luke: Jedi in 1996. If you don't like the cloak, take it off and use the 1996's Luke's Cloak. But it's far from blowing it. :p :D

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-28-2003, 02:32 AM
Where can I see a pic of this piece? :)

rherk
11-28-2003, 02:34 AM
Seriously, look at those new loose pics and tell me that that is not dissapointing! Compare it to the back of the card! Your expectations are obviously lower then mine and that's fine but I don't understand why anyone should expect this lack of quality. I shouldn't have to toss something aside because it looks bad! There is no reason for it to look bad!!!

Beast
11-28-2003, 02:40 AM
Where can I see a pic of this piece? :)
Here you go Caesar. Yeah, the cloak isn't perfect. But it's far from what I'd consider blowing it. The figure is wonderful, so it makes up for any minor flaws in the cloak. :)

Luke Skywalker: Jabba's Palace (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery.asp?categoryid=3216)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

2-1B
11-28-2003, 02:56 AM
Thanks, all I found on the homepage was the carded pic but I wanted loose shots. :)

This figure rocks and I'll buy him. I'd love an interchangeable gloved hand but it's still 10 times better than the Stroke 'n' Choke Throne Room figure which I laughed at when I saw it (and left it) on the peg.

That cloak is way better than plastic. :)

plasticfetish
11-28-2003, 05:10 AM
Seriously, look at those new loose pics and tell me that that is not dissapointing!
It's not dissapointing.

Everything considered, I'm pretty surprised at just how nice it does look. What specifically do you think is "cheap" and on what details do you think they "dropped the ball" to ruin this figure for you? Is it simply the soft cloak? Anything else? (No doubt, this figure's going to be scrutinized when it comes out ... we've all been waiting for a good one.)

To a certain degree, I agree that the cloak isn't quite as nice as it could be. It would have been great if they'd finished the edges and used a better fabric. You're right, there's no reason other than cost really why they probably didn't. I would even go so far as to say that Hasbro should have gone that extra mile to make this one "perfect" ... to make up for "other" Jedi Lukes. (Well, to make up for a number of lame figures that have come out over the past few years.) Ultimately, this is one of those figures that's supposed to score an "A" with just about everyone. Personally I want to wait until I'm holding it in my hands to decide for sure. If it's already getting an "F" from some people, yourself included rherk, then maybe you've got a point. Maybe Hasbro should make sure they've got this one completely right before it hits the pegs.

rherk
11-28-2003, 05:29 AM
Here's another issue and if someone knows the answer it would be greatly appreciated.

Why wasn't a more concealing new joint used?

I'm looking at these pics more and more hoping that I start appreciating this figure and all that's happening is I hate it more and more. This isn't the same figure I was looking at a week ago.

rherk
11-28-2003, 07:49 AM
Oops! I meant knee joint.

Kidhuman
11-28-2003, 09:32 AM
That fig is love love. One of he best I seen. Like the articulation on it.

Turbowars
12-07-2003, 04:45 PM
The only thing I see, is that Luke should have been packaged with the cloak off. You can barely see his face.

darthzirock
12-08-2003, 02:24 AM
I see nothing wrong with the new Jedi Luke figure other than minor quibbles regarding the cloak. It's a far better cloak than the "candy shell" of the POTF2 version!

My question is, what happened to his lightsaber? On the cardback (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/saga/basic/luke_skywalker_(jabbas_palace)/saga-lukejabba_cd2.jpg), we clearly see the current style of lightsaber with the "flaring" at the bottom of the blade. However, this picture (http://www.galactichunter.com/absoluteig/gallery/modern_hasbro/saga/basic/luke_skywalker_(jabbas_palace)/saga-lukejabba_11.jpg) shows the old style of lightsaber (POTF2-POTJ) that was basically a straight cylander. Otherwise, I have no problems with the new Jedi Luke figure ... well, other than AVAILABILITY!

Beast
12-08-2003, 02:27 AM
Yeah, they are going back to the non-removable blades and all plastic sabers. To many issues with breaking sabers and people complaining about the magnets, energy flare, and breaking issues. I prefer the flared design myself. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

InsaneJediGirl
12-08-2003, 07:50 AM
I think the new ROTJ Luke is great.He should have been packaged with it off,to get a better view of the figure like Turbowars said,but thats only minor.I think sometimes you have to realize working with cloth at such a small scale is hard.In that case,it looks quite nice.Better than the plastic cape with the POTF2 Luke :)

evenflow
12-08-2003, 01:05 PM
I like the figure. I think that they should have left the flare dlooked in the lightsabers, but not have it removable. I think that would have sold some of the problems.

I am Jabba the Hutt
12-08-2003, 03:23 PM
Yeah, they are going back to the non-removable blades and all plastic sabers. To many issues with breaking sabers and people complaining about the magnets, energy flare, and breaking issues. I prefer the flared design myself. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

I like the way they did the Darth Tyranus - Geonosian Escape lightsaber. It was metal but also sturdy. I like the metal lightsabers but the flared design was a little off. I wonder if Hasbro will try and make a new style of lightsaber in the future that comes even closer to the movie. :)

Banthaholic
12-13-2003, 07:08 PM
IMO this is the best Luke to date.
I like the cloth alot better than the POTF-2 Luke. Sort of adds a sort of vintage flair to it.

rherk
12-13-2003, 07:15 PM
I now am the proud owner of this figure and it is much nicer then at first glance (see review in reviews section). However, The first run of the cloak is ridiculous! The hood is form fitting to Lukes head. It is way too small. I also think it would greatly benifit this figure if he could hold his gun in his right hand.