PDA

View Full Version : favorite packaged cookies

JediTricks
11-28-2003, 10:21 PM
Have you been down the cookie aisle lately? There are a lot of packaged cookies these days and they all seem to be branching out more and more lately. From iced oatmeal to microwave chocolate chip, the choices seem almost endless. So what's your favorite packaged cookie and what makes it superior?

(Usually, when I do these threads, I wait for a few answers before leaving my own, but time for a change...)

Personally, I find myself drawn to Mother's brand Frosted Circus Animal cookies. They have tasty frosting in 2 colors (white and pink), candy dots on top, they're in the shape of animals, and they have a great snap and crunch to 'em.

Another choice might be the classic Famous Amos chocolate chip mini-cookies. Not all the wonky variations that they've come out with lately, but the original. There's something special about the way they taste that really makes different, and even though they're small cookies, they have ample chocolate chips.

EricRG
11-28-2003, 10:28 PM
Pinwheels! :happy:

bobafrett
11-28-2003, 11:40 PM
I'd have to say Oreo's. Why? Because they dunk well in milk! The chocolate cookies draws in the milk, unlike some packaged cookies. They also taste pretty good. One night when I was in my first apartment, I went to the store, bought a bag of oreos and a gallon of milk, and I ate the whole bag in one sitting.

Chocolate chip cookies are by far my favorite, but I have to have them baked, not those weak Chip's Ahoy, which are an embarresment to all chocolate chip cookies. I also buy the CC cookies at Subway, or Mrs Fields, because of the price, I can only get a few at a time. This keeps me from eating a whole bag, it's my control mechanism!

Turbowars
11-29-2003, 03:38 PM
Personally, I find myself drawn to Mother's brand Frosted Circus Animal cookies. They have tasty frosting in 2 colors (white and pink), candy dots on top, they're in the shape of animals, and they have a great snap and crunch to 'em.

Not me man, I can't stand the waxy coating it leaves in my mouth.

JediTricks
11-30-2003, 07:45 PM
A gallon of milk and a bag of Oreos? That's not a pretty picture! :crazed:

Turbo, you ever had fudge-covered Oreos? Those are some waxy-feelin' cookies! Mothers recently came out with fudge-covered Circus Animals, but it was nowhere near that level of waxy fudge.

When I was a kid, I was always mystified by my friends who ate the "Chocolatey Chip" cookies from McDonalds like they were the last morsels of food on earth. They just never did it for me.

Turbowars
11-30-2003, 07:55 PM
I'd have to say Oreo's. Why? Because they dunk well in milk! The chocolate cookies draws in the milk, unlike some packaged cookies. They also taste pretty good. One night when I was in my first apartment, I went to the store, bought a bag of oreos and a gallon of milk, and I ate the whole bag in one sitting.

Chocolate chip cookies are by far my favorite, but I have to have them baked, not those weak Chip's Ahoy, which are an embarresment to all chocolate chip cookies. I also buy the CC cookies at Subway, or Mrs Fields, because of the price, I can only get a few at a time. This keeps me from eating a whole bag, it's my control mechanism!If you like cookies that soak up milk then Chip's Ahoy are the one's for you. I guess those would be my favorite store bought. What I really like is those white chocolate macadamia nut ones from Mrs. Fields. But my all time fav, is Butter sugar cookies. JT, I haven't tried that kind of Oreo's, they sound good!:happy:

jjreason
11-30-2003, 09:16 PM
I like the white Girl Guide Cookies. After that, Chips Ahoy, regular Oreo (you don't get as many in the double-stuffed bag), and Fudgeeos. They may not have them down south.

James Boba Fettfield
11-30-2003, 09:31 PM
I like Soft Batch cookies. I believe Keebler makes them.

Jargo
12-01-2003, 07:07 AM
Biscuits, or cookies to you heathens :D I like are ginger nuts made by McVities. They dunk well in a nice cup of tea, the kind made hot with milk not that lemon tea muck.
I also like Hobnobs. A sort of oaty crumbly biscuit that melts in the mouth. Not good for dunking though as they tend to come apart and leave a horrid sludge at the bottom of the cup.
I like wafer biscuits that are alternate layers of wafer and fondant cream filling. Pink ones always taste better.
And Jammy dodgers, two layers of biscuit with a squidge of rock hard jammy stuff in the middle.
Oh and Jaffa cakes, a layer of biscuity cakey stuff, covered in dark chocolate and with a smashing orangey bit in the middle.
And shortbread. Can't beat a nice piece of Scottish shortbread.
Custard creams. Two layers of biscuit with a squidge of custardy creamy stuff between.
Bourbon creams (not that bourbon) 2 chocolate biscuit layers with chocolate cream between.
I've tried some of your american 'cookies' but found they used too much vanilla. Bleurgh! nasty things. Far too sweet too. Tasted almost chemical.
Given a choice though I'll make my own, larger, tastier and fresher. All natural ingredients and no preservatives or additives.

The Overlord Returns
12-02-2003, 12:19 PM
Mmm....Jaffa cakes.......

other than those....chewy chips ahoy, without a doubt.

JediTricks
12-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Wow, I've not heard of ONE of those cookies Jargo. :D

Chewy Chips Ahoy bother me because they way they get them to stay soft is to put wax into them.

Turbowars
12-02-2003, 11:04 PM
Wow, I've not heard of ONE of those cookies Jargo. :D

Chewy Chips Ahoy bother me because they way they get them to stay soft is to put wax into them.I was going to say the same thing to EJ. There's lots of stuff other countries have that the US doesn't. Not like we all didn't know that, but my step daughter brings some strange thinks back from Denmark.

JediTricks
12-03-2003, 12:31 AM
It freaks me out that in Canada, Hostess (who is known for snack cakes here in the US) is well known for their potato chips, and that in Canada and the UK, one of their oddball flavors of potato "crisps" is ketchup - Yucko!

I get the feeling that the US has far and away the most packaged cookies in the world (except for Japan, who seems to have a lot of strange little licensed cookie dealies the way we have licensed candy - I don't count them though since it seems like their cookies are for novelty's sake while ours are for eatin's' sake. :D).

Turbowars
12-03-2003, 10:17 PM
It freaks me out that in Canada, Hostess (who is known for snack cakes here in the US) is well known for their potato chips, and that in Canada and the UK, one of their oddball flavors of potato "crisps" is ketchup - Yucko!

I get the feeling that the US has far and away the most packaged cookies in the world (except for Japan, who seems to have a lot of strange little licensed cookie dealies the way we have licensed candy - I don't count them though since it seems like their cookies are for novelty's sake while ours are for eatin's' sake. :D).Ketchup? Yucko is right.

Kidhuman
12-04-2003, 12:25 AM
I love me some Choc. Chip cookies. That and a big glass of milk.

If ya wanna talk about snack cakes, I love Entenmanns(sp?) Donuts. Good lord they are good. hostess makes potato chips? and Ketchup Flavored? Yucko is an understatement.

The Overlord Returns
12-04-2003, 11:31 AM
Ketchup? Yucko is right.

Actually...they taste pretty damned good...

Here's a few other flavour's i remember from years gone by...

Fries and Gravy
Sour cream and Bacon
Pizza
Hot Dog
Bacon Cheeseburger...

I actually had curry flavoured crisps the other day...and they were quite lovely.

Kidhuman
12-04-2003, 11:36 AM
Gross....................<pukes>

James Boba Fettfield
12-04-2003, 11:51 AM
Ketchup doesn't sound bad.

scruffziller
12-04-2003, 02:09 PM
NO WAY!!

Patatoa Chips are like dried french fries and this way you get all the flavors in one bag!! I use regular ketchup on patatoa chips.

Cookies for me are pretty much ARCHWAYS!!!!!! Noboady can hold a candle to 'em!!:crazed:

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-08-2003, 10:13 PM
Packaged Cookies, gotta love them, trans-fat and all. :D

My new favorite are the mint creme oreos. Anything with mint in it is usually a winner for me. Plus, you can't beat soaking them in milk until their moist enough to almost crumble and if they do crumble in your milk-oh well, all the more flavor added to it.

Also, Keebler's Fudge Stripes and Grasshopper cookies are ones that I could scarf at any moment. I'll also happily eat The Girls Scouts Thin Mint Cookies once a year.

Duncan Hines moist deluxe Chocolate Chips followed by Archway's Sugar Butters round up the rest of the list.

And JT--I have a family member who whenever makes a trip to Sam's Club, buys a humongous box of Famous Amos cookies. We've purchased 3 or 4 giant packages, enough to last the whole year, and I thought I would never say this at first, but I am getting mighty sick of them.
:eek:

bobafrett
12-08-2003, 11:47 PM
Packaged Cookies, gotta love them, trans-fat and all. :D

My new favorite are the mint creme oreos. Anything with mint in it is usually a winner for me. Plus, you can't beat soaking them in milk until their moist enough to almost crumble and if they do crumble in your milk-oh well, all the more flavor added to it.

Also, Keebler's Fudge Stripes and Grasshopper cookies are ones that I could scarf at any moment. I'll also happily eat The Girls Scouts Thin Mint Cookies once a year.

Duncan Hines moist deluxe Chocolate Chips

Oh I so love mint cookies! I could at grasshopper cookies until I was blue (or minty green) in the face. Mint Oreos, Um, Yummy! Every year I purchase the girl Scout thin mints as a treat for myself. Luckily it's only once a year,because the package is gone in less than two days. :cool:

Kidhuman
12-09-2003, 10:27 AM
Oh I so love mint cookies! I could at grasshopper cookies until I was blue (or minty green) in the face. Mint Oreos, Um, Yummy! Every year I purchase the girl Scout thin mints as a treat for myself. Luckily it's only once a year,because the package is gone in less than two days. :cool:

They actually make 2 days in your house? More like 2 hours here. Girl Scout cookies rock. Especially fudge covered peanut butter ones. Damn I'm hungry. Got Milk? Yes I do.

JediTricks
12-09-2003, 11:38 PM
I haven't had Girl Scouts Thin Mints in a while, but they used to be pretty good. When I was in the Boy Scouts, we had a thing about not eating GS cookies, so I missed out on 'em for a chunk of my childhood.

I can't imagine getting sick of Famous Amos cookies, so I'll have to check in on my local Sam's. :D

Did you know that of all the cookies in the US, packaged or homemade, chocolate chip cookies are #2, and Oreos are #1? I was very shocked to learn that.

JediCole
12-10-2003, 02:23 PM
Actually...they taste pretty damned good...

Here's a few other flavour's i remember from years gone by...

Fries and Gravy
Sour cream and Bacon
Pizza
Hot Dog
Bacon Cheeseburger...

I actually had curry flavoured crisps the other day...and they were quite lovely.

Hey Overlord, how do I get me some of them Fries & Gravy crisps? That and Bacon Cheeseburger sounds pretty good for some reason I cannot fathom! It reminds me of some of the Star Wars packaged Lays chips from Australia I recall reading about. It seems one flavor was something like chicken and something else. Why don't we get chicken chips in the States?!

Anyway, on the subject of cookies:

Oreos have been a lifelong favorite, though a friend of mine from Canada told me the he always hated them because they tasted burned. With that thought in mind, the next time I ate them, I could kind of see what he meant.

One of my all time favorites (it is all I can do not to eat a full box) is Lemon Coolers (from Sunshine or sometimes something similar from Keebler). They are very lemony cookies dusted over the entire cookie with powdered sugar. Of course after you've eaten a sizeable quantity, you wind up looking like Al Pachino at the end of "Scarface"! Once in a while you can even find the rare Lime Coolers which are equally good.

Other favorites include the apple-filled oatmeal cookies from Archway, chocolate covered sugar wafers, chocolate grahams, just about any chocolate chip cookie with coconut, and iced oatmeal.

Under the right conditions (usually with a nice cup 'o hot tea), those great Barnum's Animals animal crackers (from Nabisco I believe) or ginger snaps. Shortbread cookies with a fruity, almost rubbery filling are nice too. And when I've just got more money than sense and want something decadant, Piourettes (I may have mispelled that). They are wafer-thin rolled pastry cookies filled with a creamy filling and chocolate dipped (or some variation thereof). Unmistakable regal!

Deoxyribonucleic
12-10-2003, 02:43 PM
Double-Stuff Oreo's!

All that extra hardened twinkie middle goooooooooood!!

Kidhuman
12-12-2003, 09:42 PM
Oreos have been a lifelong favorite, though a friend of mine from Canada told me the he always hated them because they tasted burned. With that thought in mind, the next time I ate them, I could kind of see what he meant.

They do, I cant stand oreos. Ick. Burnt food is nasty. s especially food that isnt burnt and tastes that way.<puke>

JediTricks
12-14-2003, 10:56 PM
I see what you mean, but I dig 'em. I guess you'd hate the Oreos cereal, tastes so much like the cookies it's a little freaky.