PDA

View Full Version : Displays and Dust

stillakid
11-30-2003, 09:54 AM
When you leave figures and toys out for display, what's the best way you've found to keep them clean? Do you display them in enclosed cases? Do you have to pull out a feather-duster periodically? Or do you limit the time out in the elements altogether to avoid dirt and light damage?

bobafrett
11-30-2003, 11:03 AM
I hate dusting period, so I do it as little as possible, even more so now in the areas I have my figures set up. It's a time consuming task to move the figures, weapons, lightning bolts and such, dust and then move them back into place. I'll probably dust everything down as I pack it away for my move in April.

plo koon 200
11-30-2003, 11:29 AM
I occasionally dust off my toys. I'm a carded collector. The dust makes the pacakging not as vibrant but it does take a lot of time to dust.

plasticfetish
11-30-2003, 04:38 PM
In Southern California, there is simply no escaping the dust. I'm not even sure that sealed display cases would work ... it simply creeps every place. So, you have to pick the stuff up, move it all, gently dust it all off and then put it back.

If you can keep and display your stuff in a sealed room or in a sealed case, it's gonna help for sure. You may have to dust once every 2/3 months instead of every month.

Turbowars
11-30-2003, 07:28 PM
In Southern California, there is simply no escaping the dust. I'm not even sure that sealed display cases would work ... it simply creeps every place. So, you have to pick the stuff up, move it all, gently dust it all off and then put it back.

If you can keep and display your stuff in a sealed room or in a sealed case, it's gonna help for sure. You may have to dust once every 2/3 months instead of every month.I have all my stuff in one room and on many shelves. I keep the door closed along with the central air vent closed. The room is facing north and it really never gets hot, but it does get cold. So far no dust.

Val Da Car
12-16-2003, 10:47 PM
I use Canned Air (Enviromently Safe) for all dusting....no lost pieces...yet

bobafrett
12-16-2003, 11:56 PM
I use Canned Air (Enviromently Safe) for all dusting....no lost pieces...yet

Where did you pick that up at? I've seen the cans used for dusting keyboards and computer boards, is this one and the same?

stillakid
12-17-2003, 01:17 AM
Where did you pick that up at? I've seen the cans used for dusting keyboards and computer boards, is this one and the same?

I use DustOff Plus which I pick up at places like Panavision and other expendable supply stores in town. It looks like you can get it from other camera shops or online...

http://www.lentinicommunications.com/items/item269.htm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006I605/102-4792287-2784922?v=glance

http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup14796.html

http://www.eagletechcomputers.com/dustoffplus.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/dusplussys.html

bobafrett
12-17-2003, 08:29 AM
I use DustOff Plus which I pick up at places like Panavision and other expendable supply stores in town. It looks like you can get it from other camera shops or online...

http://www.lentinicommunications.com/items/item269.htm

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006I605/102-4792287-2784922?v=glance

http://www.cleansweepsupply.com/pages/skugroup14796.html

http://www.eagletechcomputers.com/dustoffplus.html

http://shop.store.yahoo.com/tmt/dusplussys.html

Thanks stilla, I'm going to need several cans of this as I have put of dusting as there is so much more to do in life!

dustrho
01-05-2004, 03:33 PM
I never dust my figures because there are just way too many of them to dust around. Plus, if I tried dusting them they would probably fall over like dominoes. Using canned air to blow the dust away doesn't clean the mess, it just scatters it all over the place, so that's something I avoid doing. In one year I think I've dusted my figures/shelves twice at most.

Jayspawn
01-05-2004, 11:49 PM
plasticfetish is right, theres NO escaping dust. Its an exhausting and time consuming chore. I do it once a week cause I like to keep everything presentable and impressive.

bobafrett
01-06-2004, 01:48 AM
plasticfetish is right, theres NO escaping dust. Its an exhausting and time consuming chore. I do it once a week cause I like to keep everything presentable and impressive.

I'd dust if I even had anybody over. As it is, I have enough stuff just trying to keep after my son to clean up his mess everyday. And I rarely entertain as I work evenings.

no-wan
01-08-2004, 07:23 PM
Dust is the thing that started me into Diorama Building !!!

My wife told me I had to dust my SW stuff myself...So I went out and built this.. Go Here (http://www.thejawa.com/customs/rodger/skiff/skiff1.JPG)

After that the rest just kinda happ'nd !!!! ;)

stillakid
01-09-2004, 12:53 PM
Dust is the thing that started me into Diorama Building !!!

My wife told me I had to dust my SW stuff myself...So I went out and built this.. Go Here (http://www.thejawa.com/customs/rodger/skiff/skiff1.JPG)

After that the rest just kinda happ'nd !!!! ;)

That's pretty sweet! Now, where do you put that?

no-wan
01-11-2004, 08:44 PM
That's pretty sweet! Now, where do you put that?
Thanks stillakid !!

It was on the wall in our livingroom for about 2 years !! Presently it's in limbo out in my Shop until we get our new house this year !!! Then in will reside in my new Star Wars Room in the Basement !!!!:D

Tycho
01-22-2004, 03:04 PM
Nice work No-Won. I like your skiff scene too. Nice way you incorporated the original packaging and improved upon it. That turned out well.

DUST....

Yeah.....dust.

Let me tell you about dust. I hate dust!

And not just the dry skin flakes, but the cat hairballs, and the stuff you track in on the bottom of your shoes...

I was trying to work with Anakin's dialogue there - uh, unsuccessfully.

I am packing up a lot of my stuff until I get my house.

I seriously want to recreate every important scene from the movies, using all the possible figures that I like (I don't buy everything), and I do also create scenes from the comics and books, too.

I should be moving into a new and very large place by July-August. But if I have to wait for almost a year to get a place large enough, I will.

On top of that, I'm estimating it will cost almost $5,000 to totally encase my collection.

Here's some idea:

$200 - standard display cases, 6ft long, about 4.5 ft high, 18 inches wide - removing the top shelves and putting in background cards (handpainted or computer printed - or that aquarium/reptile cage stuff) - these make for perfect diorama displays of the major battles and certain locations: Hoth, Endor, Naboo, Mos Eisley Space Port, the Death Star (several vintage playsets w. new figures and a landed shuttle), the Podrace Arena (at least a 1/2 side of it), etc.

Obviously, buying for just the scenes I mentioned above requires about $1400 and 42 feet of wall space - and multiple rooms or there won't be any couches to sit down and appreciate this stuff from.

Dust is not really a problem at all in these large cases.

$900+ for custom cases. Geonosis is a problem: the Republic Gunship's wingspan will not allow it to fit in one of those standard display cases. Do you believe it? You only need 3-4 more inches (at at least $25 an inch for a custom display case that probably will run you $300 - though I haven't priced it by an exact order yet, as I don't have the wall space for Geonosis yet). Other obstacles are the Queen's Royal Starship - again, to display it open (in other words with a crew, astrodroids, and the throne room occupied) etc. you'll need about 4-5 more inches than a standard display case. (I want to do a conglomerate with the ship actually on a shelf I leave in there - like it's flying) and Theed and the river with the Gungan Sub (I want them to make) below it, with a sub-scene of Qui-Gon rescuing the Queen from the droids on the street (before the first hanger battle) rounding out my use of the space. I like the colors of Theed, flowers, etc. and I think this display will look like a nice Mediterranian terranium or something. But I gotta fit that starship... THEED itself is another issue. The generator duel playset won't connect to the Hanger Playsets and display right in one of the standard cases. I want to do an elabaorate city, with the hanger in the right place, the AAT tank on the street vs. a Flash speeder and all the Naboo guards and soldiers I collected fighting a large droid army - but I need about only 2 more inches width on this one. Grrrrrrrr. I'd rather pay the price for the space than compromise on my scene I drew out though.

The 12" Collection is another issue. Their clothes can attract dust and be harder to clean. Darth Vader electronic 14" for example - a great figure you want to display proudly loose - he looked like crap the way they put him in a box anyway.

Plexiglass and display shelf units are your answer.

$100-200 to make "U" tubes. Put the figures on the glass shelf on the wall. Have a plastics company make you up to 15" "U" tubes - think of it as a plexiglass horse trough if you will. Set your 12" figures up on doll stands (now including room for Vader, or Boussh's rifle or the Royal Guard's elecropole), invert the "U" tube so it's an upside down "U" - obviously it would be cheaper to make it squared off, not rounded - and put that over your shelved figures.

You could do that with smaller figures or smaller scenes, and I do, but I won't have floor space to put most of my 12" in regular display fixtures, because my large battle scenes will be down there.

This is generally what you're looking at, price wise and solutions wise.

Acquiring room or real estate is about the only way to make it happen, along with acquiring money.

I learned how to do that by going into financial planning and it changed my life and is letting me literally live my dreams, because this is getting really expensive.

Sorry to put in a commercial, but private message me if you are seriously thinking about a career change if the money was right. I was surprised, you don't even need to have a college education to do what I do.

But if all this sounds expensive to do for yourself, and you have a wife and kids to look out for also, it's even more important that you learn to set your financial goals and create the wealth that you need.

I'm not saying that everyone needs (or wants) a house full of dioramas, but:

1) make that decision when money is not a factor - you have the cash, now what do you want?

2) you can have all your stuff in one room, but another 6th of the size of your present collection will be inbound in 2005, do you have the room in THAT room?

3) You can scale back what you want to display, but it will NOT be worth real money, so if you can't even see it, why collect it? Making displays of your stuff, however you choose to show it, is the best way to appreciate what you so lovingly bought.

4) The cases, shelving, custom units, etc. are all to preserve your collection, cleanly, neatly, and safe from kids, pets, and DUST.

As we were talking about displays, because certainly collections in closets or boxes don't take on dust, these cases, putting the stuff behind glass (or other see-through material) is the only way to go.

There are a lot of other ways I'd like to spend five-grand, but I "collected myself" into this "need" over the past 9 years I've been into this hobby, and I want to respect the stuff that I did.

Dusting knocks down figures you spend hours positioning into scenes so they are looking at each other, shooting each other, talking to each other, kissing each other, whatever.

Would you rather appreciate your work and spend set-up times on new scenes, or keep dusting the old stuff over hours of your time, or just spend 5 minutes wiping a rag and some Windex over a fixture case and then you're done?

Make a financial plan, engage it, get the money, and protect and enjoy your collection.

stillakid
01-22-2004, 09:29 PM
How effective would fans be? Depending upon the circumstances, could a gentle "breeze" over the open air collection keep dust from settling?

Tycho
01-22-2004, 10:12 PM
I'm a huge FAN of my own collection, but that never stopped the dust before :D

stillakid
01-22-2004, 10:21 PM
- Nothing beats a SUPER ARTICULATED CLONE TROOPER!

Except actually finding one. :p Maybe one day, I'll learn firsthand just how good these are supposed to be and I'll do everything in my power to keep the dust away from it. sigh.

Jay86
03-22-2004, 07:06 PM
I'm in the process right now of setting up my collection (I've been collecting for about 9 years now) and I'm buying those wall-mounted brackets and using laminated shelves to set up each movie, then I'm displaying the figures scene by scene (not literally EVERY scene, but its an overall "summary" using figures if you will). I plan on buying one of those air-purifiers that reduce a large amount of dust from the air, most of them can cover a room about 14 x 16, and my room is slightly smaller than that. We have one downstairs in our dining room and it works great, I'm not the official "duster" of the house but my mom says it works, it reduces about 80% of the dust so you really only have to dust every month or so. As for me, I dont really mind dusting the stuff I do have up (I only have Episode 1 displayed), its kind of satisfying to be able to look over the stuff its taken me 9 years to collect and see how much hard work (and a lot of $$$ I might add) I've put into it, but I love to do it, so its worth it. Dustings not the funnest thing and I'd love to not have to do it, but its almost my equivelant of when you wash a classic car, if I had one, I'd be proud of it and want to keep it in good shape. At the very least, put it this way: dust isnt permanent, it could be a lot worse if the junk that was landing on your figures was more permanent. The fact that dust itself actually exists though is the most annoying part, but at least its not permanent. All in all, I say put the $150 + into buying an air purifier, its worth it in the long run, at least it has been for me anyway.

arctangent
03-23-2004, 04:26 AM
like jay86 i am in the process of decorating my bedroom so i can put up shelves to display my loose figures and like jay86 i don't mind dusting my collection (which is currently spread out on shelving across my livingroom and i have run out of space for now - much of my collection is already in boxes waiting for me to get my finger out). i find it quite theraputic and cathartic dusting my collection. its nice to pick the figures up, look at them and try and come up with new ways to pose them. i always feel like i am reconnecting with my collection when i dust the shelves.

Card Dreamer
03-23-2004, 11:33 PM
I must admint, I'm a pretty lazy cleaner myself

jedihunter25
03-24-2004, 12:12 AM
I HATE DUSTING!!! I'm in the process of doing it now. Unfortunatly I only dust once a year because I have so much stuff it takes somewhere between a month to two months to get everything-(depending on work and other things that need to be done). When I dust, I use a dust feather, a dry wash cloth, a damp wash cloth, and a soft toothbrush.

Card Dreamer
03-24-2004, 12:18 AM
wow, you use ALL of that?....geez, that's not dusting, that's redetailing your room ;)

jedihunter25
03-24-2004, 12:28 AM
wow, you use ALL of that?....geez, that's not dusting, that's redetailing your room ;)

Just about, it's all needed when you only have time to dust once a year. My lower shelves get pretty nasty with dog&cat hair and dirt. And here out in the desert there's no escaping dust- plus it's 10 times worse.

Card Dreamer
03-24-2004, 12:29 AM
ahh, okay...I feel ya man..well, chop chop! get back to duting! don't doddle here :)

arctangent
03-24-2004, 10:15 AM
can't remember who it was but some famous englishman (might have been oscar wilde) said that after the first four years the dust doesn't get any thicker. perhaps we all ought to try it out and see if its true.

Darth Mina
03-24-2004, 01:08 PM
The best way to keep dust from your collection is to buy a glass case with doors, like the ones that hallmark uses to display the Precious Moments collections ( I collect those too :D ) They are not cheap but keep most of the dust out and you can see your collection from all angles :p

Card Dreamer
03-24-2004, 08:53 PM
Mina, it's a good idea, but man, I have a hard enough time just affording the figs...cases like that would put me over my limit =/

Darth Mina
03-24-2004, 11:05 PM
Mina, it's a good idea, but man, I have a hard enough time just affording the figs...cases like that would put me over my limit =/
Police auctions are a great place to get those display cases if you know where they have any auctions go over there and sign up a case that would usually cost 500.00 you might get it for as low as 100.00 that is how i got mines it's really worth the time.

Kidhuman
03-24-2004, 11:18 PM
The only problem with that is the cases would take up tonsmore room than my figures do right now. I dont mind dust on the bubbles. It usually wipes off in a jiffy anyway. Just get a dry rag and wipe, takes about 30 minutes for me.

Darth Mina
03-25-2004, 12:10 AM
KH you are right they do take a lot of room. That is why some of the figures that are carded are siting high on shelves of the grownd. As for the open figures I love to dust the it reconects me to them :classic: .

Tycho
03-26-2004, 02:03 PM
Just about, it's all needed when you only have time to dust once a year. My lower shelves get pretty nasty with dog&cat hair and dirt. And here out in the desert there's no escaping dust- plus it's 10 times worse.

I can relate to the cat hair problem. There is oil in animal fur that protects their coats, but makes the free-hair problem for our collections even worse.

I am going to try Oxyclean - has anyone else here? It's a light all-purpose forumula that should take care of that.

Problems to note are the oil buildup from the pet hair, on areas like the clear gun turret bubbles on the Republic Gunship - and the cockpit windows too.

It's very light and hard to notice, but if you like your stuff perfectly mint (loose mint that is) then you'll notice!

Time and time again, the real final solution is we need more MONEY.

Completely enclosed collectible displays.

For diorama builders, this could cost hundreds or thousands. Ridiculous? No - not when you consider what most of us spend at Midnite Madness. It's really a commitment to saving money for this.

1) when you can't find Star Wars, don't buy other toy lines. Save for display cases or having custom ones built. Try to amount a few hundred bucks - or go for more if you make more $$.

2) Get walhanging stuff from a plexiglass manufacturer - I mean heck - I'm getting one to fit that cardboard Jabba's Palace diorama. Remember that one - that came with the unfrozen Han Solo? Well, for probably about $150 or less, you can get made a completely self containing plexiglass box to hold that whole set in, see in there clear as glass, and it will have a removeable lid so you can set up your figures inside of it. Next, buy one of those you-install-it little shelves, like for displays or bathroom ammenities. Pick out one that looks good and put your Jabba scene on top. Or depending upon the weight of Jabba and Ephant Mon (more than any of the others), you can have wallhanger clips heat-glued into the plexiglass and put the thing like 3-D art on the wall. Jabba's might be too big, but this works for smaller scenes like maybe the figures you could assemble for Club Outlander, Emperor's Throne Room, etc.

Just wipe the dust off the top every day, and no scrubbing or knocking over your figures will ever have to occur.

3) For me, a diorama builder who barely touches resculpts (this year I'm buying less of any assortment than ever in my history of collecting) - it is a great year to save money for more display cases to protect your collection.

Remember, for the largest dioramas, those 6 foot display cases you see in store showrooms, like at Wireless Phone Companies, only cost $200. Take out the shelves and you can fit an AT-AT in a whole Battle of Hoth diorama in there. Display your guys loose but not in scenes? Line them up on the shelves inside (the glass top pops off those cases from opening the back - just keep your figures on stands so they won't fall over, and gently replace the top - the whole case can go against a wall (with a little room to get your arm around the back) and only stick out 20 inches (thereabouts) and you're all set).

But you know those OTC figures with the fancy vintage cards? They're all resculpts. Who needs them? If you collect loose, your old figures are fine. If you really have to have them, are you going to buy armies of core characters like they were Clone Troopers? No.

So keep away from the Lord of the Rings, Spiderman, GI Joe, Transformers, whatever you do when you can't find SW figures, and save some money and get some cases.

Kidhuman
03-26-2004, 09:55 PM
One thing todo is look for auctions of businesses that are closing. My friend owned a restaraunt in nYC, and we would hit the auctions for stuff real cheap. You could get a display case for 50 bucks or less most of the time.

If you want plexiglass, build one yourself. Get the measurements you need and go to Home Depot or Lowes. The will cut to size. Then hit the caulk to hold them together. It will cost you less in the long run, rather than paying for someone else to put together.

Kidhuman
04-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Ok this is wierd. I have a keyboard brush for my computer. My stepson took it today and started dusting my carded figures with it. It works real dayum good. Cleans the bubbles nice. I would recommend it for your carded figures.

Jay86
04-02-2004, 11:03 PM
Since kidhuman mentioned brushes....speaking of which and while on the subject, I was recently trying to think of something to use to "sweep" away the dust from the smaller area's that it might possibly collect in (mostly in the vehicles) in my dioramas. I walked into my kitchen the other day and on the counter were a few paint brushes (NOT the kind you'd paint a house with, the smaller kind you'd use to paint a picture). I cleaned them off, not knowing of whether they were used before, I doubt very highly they were due to their condition, and they work great. I collect mint condition loose, so the best kind are (obviously) the very fine/soft tipped brushes, since I wouldnt recommend using any kind of brush that has hard bristles/tips because that will probably come across more as scraping than gently brushing any dust away, though with the size of Star Wars figures you dont really have to worry about dust settling on the figures, mostly just the (loose) vehicles, due to their size, as dust pretty much will only manage to settle in larger, flat surfaced area's. But if you're looking for something to use to dust those oh-so-smaller-area's of your collection than I recommend going to a crafts store and picking up some paint brushes, they're cheap and will do the job good.

CaptainSolo1138
04-07-2004, 07:56 AM
That's a pretty good idea, Jay. I have a huge upright CD shelf that I "requisitioned" when I worked for Target. It holds about 150 figures. I've yet to find a way other than taking down all 150 (which are in chronological and alphabetical order) to dust it. I'm willing to try anything.

arctangent
04-07-2004, 08:58 AM
for getting dust off of the large flat/detailed surfaces of vehicles, i find the best thing to use is a photographic lens cleaning brush. it's a smallish, very soft brush with a rubber puffer on the end that allows you to blow air through the bristles. its very good for getting dust out of nooks and crannies on vehicles - similar to jay86's but with the added bonus of being able to puff away at those stubborn bits of dust.