PDA

View Full Version : College Hoops 03-04

The 'Xir
12-01-2003, 02:37 PM
Well, It's a bit early, but I figured someone would start a thread sooner or later! Who's your team and what do you guys think of the upcomming year!
Well, I think most of you know I'm an Orangemen fan, and it will be interesting to see their jorney back to the tourney to defend their National Title! They lost their first game of the new season to NC-Charolette!!! Then barely won over Rhode Island! This might worry the average fan, but for 1) They lost their first game last season, and 2) I can honestly say that I think Syracuse has a chance to make a run for another championship, however, with Carmelo gone, right now I think they're trying to find their Identity as a team! So they haven't quite gelled yet. The gotta get better play out of their centers, and we need one of the new guys to come in and take a shooting forward role, so we are not so dependent on Gerry McNamara! Rhode Island did play some box-and-1 on G-Mac, and if someone doesn't step up that could become a trend for defenses this season! We can't use Warrick in that role, because we need his presence down low as a power forward, lining up across from the center, because )1 That's where he's at his best, and 2) it will draw defenders down into the box allowing the perimeter shots to open up!
Big Monday is back Baby! Although Syracuse doesn't play, one interesting matchup tonight is a future Big East matchup in Marquette vs Notre Dame!
So who is your team, and what do you guys think of their and the overall outlook for this season! :cool:

Bel-Cam Jos
12-01-2003, 07:40 PM
I have my same three teams as in college football: Pitt (gonna give the 'Cuse a run for the Big East title? maybe... ), Ohio State (it's gonna be another tough year in the Big Ten), and Youngstown State (they might sneak into the NCAA tourney with their Gateway or Horizon Conference [I forget which is football or basketball] automatic bid).

Yay. :p

EricRG
12-01-2003, 10:27 PM
Let's go OR-ANGE!

But alas, I do believe it to be another NIT year for the 'cuse. They are the champs, people will be gunning for them. Yes, they lost their 1st game last year as well, but that was to Memphis, a very good team. I don't think Charlotte or whoever it was they lost to (AT THE DOME) will be nearly as good. But they surprised the hell out of me last year, and Xir knew the deal on 'Melo before the season even began, so Xir is wise.

Haha, that's 2/3 for SU so far. Anyone else?

Trip J
12-02-2003, 07:59 AM
My college hoops team is the same as my coolege football team - the Iowa Hawkeyes, and I'm expecting a pretty solid season.

You know, it's weird. UI ran Tom Davis (the all-time wins leader in IA basketball history and the classiest act you'll meet anywhere) and Hayden Fry (the all-time wins leader in IA football and just as classy as Dr. Tom) and replaced them with Steve Alford and Kirk Ferentz respectively.

At the time, everyone was thrilled with Alford and po'd about not getting Bobby Stoops (who played football at Iowa in the 80's).

When Ferentz started off poorly, people were ready to run him out of town.

Fast-forward to 2003. Ferentz's football team just completed another terrific season, and Alford's hoops team has made one lousy NCAA tournament. This year they have some real talent, and depth too. They started off strong last week with two wins over some lower-tier teams, and then a nice 1-point win over Louisville on Saturday in the Wooden classic. I hope that's an indicator of things to come, but as usual, the Big Ten should be pretty good top to bottom. A successfull year n my eyes will be 20+ wins, a top five finish in the conference, and a strong showing in both the Big Ten and NCAA tournaments.

Bel-Cam Jos
12-14-2003, 09:53 AM
Pitt beat YSU yesterday, with the combined score of the game hovering around 100 points. Defense? Perhaps. Bring on the Big East season!

kool-aid killer
12-14-2003, 01:51 PM
I dont really follow college hoops, i think its the worst college game around. Too many blowouts for my liking. But if i had to choose a favorite team it would be the Cornhuskers. An average team for as long as i could remember. I liked Creighton, but (i know it sounds odd) didnt like last years team. Its an okay level to help pass the time but i will take the pros anyday.

jjreason
12-14-2003, 05:46 PM
I watched the "basketbowl" in Detroit yesterday between Kentucky and MSU. The game was played outside at Ford Field, in front of 75000 people. Crazy. MSU was keeping it close, unfortunately I had to leave with about a minute to play and missed the ending. Good game, with Kentucky dominating in the paint but MSU shooting very well to stay in it.

I root for Michigan here as well, but they aren't the power in the Big10 (any more). Big10 b-ball should be fairly good this year, with most teams better than fair. In university I was treated to Big East basketball coverage every year (Kingston, Ontario was actually only about 2 hrs from Syracuse, Xir) so I would root for the Orangemen a little myself. I was happy to see coach Boeheim finally take the big one last year. Always a trick to repeat mind you, but I think they'll be way, way, way better than average this year. As long as they can beat G-Town everything else will be okay!

Hopefully this thread will get me following it a little more closely than I have for the last couple of years.

The 'Xir
12-19-2003, 02:47 PM
:D Ahh jjreason you said the magic words, "Beat Georgetown", You are officially welcomed to join the 'Orange Pack'. All you have to do is spin around a couple of time 'til your dizzy, slam a couple (orange)screwdrivers, stomp on a Hoya head and a duke blue devil while cursing Dick Viatles' name, and yelling, "Da Cuse is in Da House...Oh my God Oh my God" and your in baby! :stupid: :crazed: :D

by the way, Kingston is more like 3-4hrs away, but hey it's still not that bad of a drive! Toronto I think is like 5hrs! :)
Also, I don't know what it is but I have totally lost all interest in the NBA, you were talking about blowouts in the NCAA's but there's 300 divisonI schools as oppossed to what 30-40 NBA teams! Man I just think that there is no competition any more in the NBA. When I watch an NBA game nowadays, it's like they are just going through the motions, it's almost a joke to them. I personally think the NCAA's are much more pure of games and because of it the competition and excitement of the games are that much better than the NBA! But that's just one mans opinion! ;)

The 'Xir
01-02-2004, 11:11 PM
Well, with bowl week almost done and NFL playoffs comming up, not much has been said on the NCAA basketball front, so I thought I'd squeek in a few remarks!
Being biased towards the Big East, How about them Pitt Panthers, notching the win over Georgia the other night puts them at 13-0 on the season, Georgetown also remains undefeated although they really haven't played anyone. It was good to see Uconn take it's eighth straight over Rice tonight, and poor Villanova just came up short of upsetting #13 Kansas. My boys here in Da Cuse have a big Matchup tommorrow Sat Jan 3rd as the Spartans of MSU roll into the Dome to face the #20th ranked Orangemen! The Spartans at 5-5 don't look to impressive but I don't think their record tells the whole story, and this should be SU's first real big test of their young season as they look for their 9th straight! Tip off is at Noon on CBS to a semi-national audience(you California people should be able to see it, if you feel like getting up at 9am, but then again you'd probably still be watching cbs's morning show) :cry:

all times are EST
Other big games tommorrow:#9North Carolina at #6 Kentucky noon on CBS
#25 Florida St at #12 Florida 1pm(regional)
10-1 Murray St visits #14 Louisville 2pm(regional)
Illinois St at #19 Illinois 2pm(espn Radio)
Iowa vs #22 Missouri 3pm(espn Radio)
#3Georgi Tech Vs Georgia 3pm(reg)
Pac10 matchup with #4 Arizona going into Arizona St 3:30pm(reg)
#21Purdue at Baylor 3:30pm(reg)
and
Princeton goes into #8 Oklahoma 5pm ESPN
enjoy!
let's hear some other remarks about everyones favorite team and what they think might happen this season!

kool-aid killer
01-03-2004, 11:55 AM
I think Nebraska, off to a better start than usual, will sputter in Big 12 play. But i think they can make it to the NIT this year (yeah i know, not impressive to you guys) and make some noise. They won it sometime in the 90's to become the 65th best team in the nation.

The 'Xir
01-05-2004, 12:12 PM
I am always suprised when Big program schools like Nebraska, don't have better balance between programs. You take a school like Duke who's on the other side, a power in Basketball but not Football. Syracuse is one school that has always been pretty balanced, but it obviously leans more towards basketball. It usually all depends on the quality of the QB position if Football overshadows B'Ball here in Da'Cuse. You take names like, Don Mcphearson, Marvin Graves and Donovan Mcnabb, that mark recent success in Football, but unfortunately no National Championships. I understand that Nebraska is a little different because they live breath, and die cornhusker football, The state really has no other big programs or pro teams for fans to adhere to; But then you take a school like Florida a power in Football, that has finally been able to achieve that balnace in both, so maybe Nebraska is next!

The 'Xir
01-09-2004, 12:35 AM
well conference play is pretty well underway now, and we got some good games coming up for this weekend! Here's some of the key matchups:

all times EST:
Game of the week!:
Sun/11th-#7 Oklahoma leaves Big12 country and goes upto the Hartford Civic Center, to face Emeka Okafor and the #1 rated UCONN Huskies of the Big East!!! Game time is set at 4:30pm

Big East
Sat/10th - BC comes into the Dome to face the #19 rated defending national champs, as the orangmen hope to give the eagles a fitting Big East send off as BC...Bonapartes themselves over to the ACC next season. tip off is at 2pm

Sat/10th - #15 Pittsburgh looks to do the same to the departing Canes as they square off in Miami! game time set at 2pm also.

ACC

Sat/10th - The Clemson Tigers visits the #4 rated Demon Deacons of Wake Forrest. Gametime is at 12pm

Keep an eye out:
Sun/11th - as The #2 Duke Blue Devils visit the Cavaliers of Virgina who are looking to prove they are not only ready for the ACC, but to make an impact in this years brackets! My prediction though: Duke 82 Virgina 73 Gametime is for 5:30pm

Sun/11th - The only team to beat #1 UConn, and the real threat to the Blue devils this season; the #8 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets have destroyed teams all season, and with great wins over, UConn, Texas Tech, Ohio St, and St Johns they line up to go into Chapel Hill to face #13 UNC. Game time at 8pm

Big Ten
Sat/10th - About the only intriguing matchup this weekend in the Big Ten is #25 Purdue at #20 Illinois. The Boilermakers, a suprise this year with a suprising win over #2 Duke, need a win against an always tough Illini team; to avoid an 0-2 start in Big10 play, and a reasonable chance of going to the post season! This could be their most important game of the year! The pathetic loss to Oklahoma 47-45 could be the focal point of the real Purdue Boilermakers. We'll find out Saturday at 4:30pm.

cont'd...

The 'Xir
01-09-2004, 01:54 AM
...cont'd...

Big 12

Sat 10th - #24 Oklahoma St visits Bobby Knights' #25 Texas Tech team. This is each teams first Big12 matchup, and both need a win if they are not only going to stay in the Top25 but keep pace with Kansas(off), Oklahoma and Iowa St(Vs Nebraska). Game times at 4pm.

SEC

The only matchup worth watching this weekend in the SEC is Vanderbilt at #5 Kentucky. The SEC is a wreck this year, most of their top teams haven't played any ranked opponents except South Carolinas' loss to #11 Florida. Not knowing who might come out on top this year :rolleyes: , this could prove wether Vandy has any real staying power!

and for all you Californians out there finally:

The Pac-10
:rolleyes: Another conference in need of some Depth like the Sec, the only real matchup this weekend is #6 Stanford going into the McKale Center to face the #3 Arizona Wildcats, as Lute Olson looks for his 701rst Overall win. But, more impotantly his record breaking 510th win as Arizona's head coach, eclipsing Fred Enke's mark of 509W-324L as Arizona's 36 year Head coach! Lute now stands at 509-148 in only 21 years!

No offense to you California guys, but my money would be on Zona! :greedy: Should be a close game though!

The 'Xir
01-10-2004, 03:51 PM
Congrats to Jim Boeheim on tying John Wooden as second on the all time wins list in NCAA history with 664 wins! He and the Orangemen sent the BC Eagles packing to the ACC! Good Luck BC...Traitors!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-11-2004, 03:05 PM
Pitt is 4 victories away from 20 wins... and it's January 11th? Wow. Found out they had an undefeated season (21-0) once, but it was in the 1920s. Maybe they can snag the first undefeated 40-win year! :eek: (one can dream, eh?)

p.s. Even YSU won!

The 'Xir
01-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Pittsburgh is for real!!! They really haven't played anyone tooo significant, but don't let that fool ya, I can see this team easily going to the final four if not winning it all! If they do go all the way I think it will come down to first year coach Jamie Dixon and his staff and not team ability, 'cause the ability is definitely there! Sr Guard Julius Page is probably one of the top five best players in the country at his position! And Fr Forward Chris Taft is just unbelieveable avg 10.2ppg and has 37blks or 2.31Blks/gm on the season! As a team they avg 6 blks/gm, while somehow going to the line on avg 8 more times than their opponents! And between Chris Taft and Jr Forward Chevon Troutman they avg a 65% shooting from the floor! They're good!

I gotta give a shout out to the Stanford Cardnials too!, for taking down #3 Arizona! Shows ya what I know! :crazed: ;) Looks like Lute will just have to wait a little longer for his teams' record!

Trip J
01-12-2004, 08:18 AM
Ugh! Iowa is TERRIBLE this year. Losses to UNI and Northwestern???!!!??? And neither game was close.

Things could get interesting for Coach Alford if things don't improve. The natives are getting restless.

Thank God pitchers and catchers report in 38 days. I can't wait for baseball. Go Cubs!

Bel-Cam Jos
01-12-2004, 09:23 PM
Pittsburgh is for real!!! They really haven't played anyone tooo significant, but don't let that fool ya, I can see this team easily going to the final four if not winning it all! If they do go all the way I think it will come down to first year coach Jamie Dixon and his staff and not team ability, 'cause the ability is definitely there! They're good!
They handled a tough Notre Dame team tonight. Could it be Pitt, Ohio St., Youngstown St., and Gonzaga (best SW-sounding name in the NCAA! ) in the Final Four? Probably not. ;)

I gotta give a shout out to the Stanford Cardnials too!, Sorry, 'Xir, but there's no 'S' in Stanford's mascot name, even though there should be.

The 'Xir
01-14-2004, 11:26 AM
Sorry, 'Xir, but there's no 'S' in Stanford's mascot name, even though there should be.

I know, I know, but I hate saying The Stanford Cardinal, it doesn't sound right, especially when your referring to the team as a whole; because there's more than one player on the team! It's like saying the Stanford Basketball Player...no players 'S' sssszzss. :frus: Imagine being a coach on an all-star team, and saying OK can we have all the Cardinal over here for the photo shoot? What? No! Can we have all the Cardinals over here, or all the Cardinal players if you want to keep it singular!
OK my rant is done! I don't know why but that does bug the crud out of me! :crazed:

The 'Xir
01-17-2004, 02:44 PM
I Forgot to do my list before the weekend so here's a quick one for the games remaining, if ya feel like watching/listening to some good hoops, these are some of the more intriguing matchups!

Saturday Jan 17th '04 all times EST

#1 UCONN vs #13 UNC 3:30pm(now)
Iowa St vs Colorado 4pm
Geroge Mason vs VA Commonwealth 4pm
Tennessee vs South Carolina 5pm
#8 Arizona vs UCLA 6pm
#19 Syracuse vs Notre Dame 6pm
Auburn vs Alabama
Belmont vs Florida Atlantic 7pm
Oklahoma St. vs Kansas St. 7pm
SE Louisiana vs Stephen F. Austin 7:15pm
Old Dominion vs Delaware 7:30pm
#10 Florida vs #23 Vanderbilt 8pm
Maryland vs #14 Georgia Tech 8pm
Drake vs Northern Iowa 8:05pm
Colorado St. vs BYU 9pm
Fresno St vs Utep 9:05pm
St. Mary's(CA) vs #17 Gonzaga 11pm

The 'Xir
01-17-2004, 03:28 PM
No top25 ranked teams play this Sunday, but here are some of the more interesting matchups:

All Times EST

Florida St vs Virginia 1pm
Niagra vs Rider 1pm
St. Johns vs Villanova 2pm
Fairfield vs Manhattan 4pm

a pretty weak Sunday of B'Ball, but here are the Big Monday matchups:

GAME OF THE WEEK

#1 UCONN vs #15 Pittsburgh 7pm

UT-Chattanooga vs Coll of Charleston 7pm
Bellmont vs Central Florida 7:30pm
Toledo vs Eastern Michigan 8pm
#13Oklahoma vs #23Texas Tech 9pm
Wyoming vs BYU 10:30
Colorado St vs Utah 12am

The 'Xir
01-28-2004, 01:18 PM
Well my poor Orangemen have been exposed badly over the past week losing twice, to Seaton Hall 74-67 and then being embarrassed by Pittsburgh 66-45, which has made me rethink their chances of repeating! Hell the way they're playing right now I'd be suprised if they make it passed the first round! They dropped down to #20 in the AP with an overall (13 -3) record. Despite an injured Gerry McNamara, the whole team's shooting percentage has dropped considerably and their infamous 2-3 zone was exposed badly against Pittsburgh.
For this and a few other reasons, is why I haven't been posting my weekend games of late, so I apologize for those that check in on this thread on a regular basis, and I'll soon make some game lists for this comming weekend Jan 30th - Feb 3rd! Sorry again! :neutral:

Sidenote: It was good to see Providence crack the Top 25 at #23 to bring The Big East back up to 4 teams in the Top25!
ANd, If I hadn't stressed it enough before, then WOW does Pittsburgh look destined for the Final Four!!! They really played well against us last Saturday, and if they can stay healthy and stay focused look out!!!

The 'Xir
01-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Here are this weekend's matchups for 1/30/04-2/1/04

As much as I hate to say it, special attention should be paid to the ACC this week! A bunch of games that could be considered the Game of the Week

I gotta quickly mention tonight's(1/29) game Florida State vs (1)Duke. Keep your eye on this one! I think Duke will finally put FSU in it's place after an incredible run over the past week/week&1/2. If this were at FSU I might say the noles would have a chance. Still, this has all the making to be a great game, and I hope it turns out that way!

Onto this weekend, and how about if I start with the Pac-10 for a change:
Pac-10

Unfortunately the Pac-10 doesn't have alot of games this week, not to say that some others won't be close, but the only ones of interest are:
(2)Stanford vs Oregon Saturday 31rst @ 6pm - This has a Cardinal win all over it, but the Ducks are home and have a notorious scrappy nature! If Stanford takes them too lightly and let's them hang around, this could be the suprise upset of the year, however expect to change the channel by the half!

(9)Arizona vs Washington St Saturday 31rst 4pm - Arizona's rank is the only thing that makes this game a game of interest and the fact they are on the road. However, when WSU pts leader Marcus Moore avg's 12.8ppg, let's just say that we can atleast look forward to the Stanford Oregon game!

ACC - OK what game isn't great this week?

Virgina vs (17)Wake Forrest Saturday 31rst @ 2pm - If there is a week game this is it... :confused: :ermm: WF just broke there 4 game losing streak with a great win over Maryland tonight, and they need 2 in a row to really keep pace in this conference! I'm assuming their confidence is up enough to get the job done and SHOULD beat VU soundly. However, Virgina is one of my DarkHorse/up&comming teams this year, and can play the always exciting role of spoiler! When you're in the ACC you automatically have a tough schedule, but If Virgina can pull this out, and scrape together some wins to squeak into the tourney... No way will they make it to the Final Four, but just keep an eye out that's all...if they get in!

Game of the Week
(1)Duke at (16) Georgia Tech. Saturday 31rst @ 5pm - What can you say, either Duke, N.Carolina, or Ga Tech will win the ACC this year, If Duke wins this game, the game of the week next week is Duke vs NC so how can you lose? It just comes down to who wants it more!!!

NC State vs Maryland Sunday Feb 1rst @ 2pm - Should be a good game, but after tonight's loss against Wake Forrest Maryland needs this win bad if they want to stay in contention, so it could be a blow out!

cont'd...

The 'Xir
01-30-2004, 01:16 AM
The Big 10
Michigan vs Illinois Saturday the 31rst @ 1:30pm - This is the Big game in the Big 10, it should have all the knock em down, punch 'em out charm of a Michigan/Ohio St football game. The Illini are at home and have the only advantage in this game. Flip a coin!

Ohio St vs (21)Purdue Sat. 31rst @ 12:07pm - What's happened to the Buckeyes? The only good news for them is that Jr G Tony Stockman is back, but now that he's had time to think about his carrer... well let's just hope he's a good student. This is like the Arizona/Wash St game, the only reason for interest is Purdue's national ranking, but unlike Arizona Purdue is at home. These teams traditionally play each other tough so it could be close, but I just don't see it happening!

Indiana vs Michigan St Sat 31rst @ 8pm - The only bigger dissappointment in the Big10 this year then Ohio St is Michigan State!!! We keep giving this team the cruch of the tough schedule they have played, and it probably is the toughest in the country, but they just keep losing all the important games! Well guess what, Indiana shares the lead(w/Wisconsin) in the Big 10 conference with a 5-1 record! If State wants their last game against Wisconsin to be important, then they desperately need this win! They are 4-2 in conference play so if they beat Indiana, it could mark the turning-point of their season! They are 4-1 in their last 5 games! IU is 5-0 in theirs, guess what the difference was...IU beat #21 Purdue...Mich St?.. lost to #21 Purdue!

The Big12
(14)Texas Tech vs (19)Oklahoma St Sat 31rst 9pm - The battle of Legends? Bobby Knight vs Eddie Sutton? Nope this will be settled on the floor by the players! I question Ok St players mental toughness, but this should be a great game. Keep your eye on rebound stats and pts in the paint! The team that can master both wins the game hands down! They are also vying for a share of the Big 12 lead, they just gotta hope Iowa St can upset Kansas!

(12)Kansas vs Iowa State Sat 31rst @4pm - I like Iowa St this year, but their biggest problem is they haven't played any Top25 teams. Well they will now! And I have a bad feeling they won't know what hit 'em. Bad losses to teams like San Diego St and Baylor really expose this team, however if Sr G Jake Sullivan can have a near career game, and really distribute the ball well there's always the chance of upset! Then again it is Kansas!

(25)Oklahoma vs Nebraska Sunday Feb 1rst 1pm - This has got to be the first time fans of these two teams can get excited, and have it not be about football! The problem is both are at the bottom of the Big12 conference and with bad out of conference schedules they better hope they win all the rest of their games 'cause at this point in the season it looks like it's the only way they can get into the Tourney! Ok it's not that bad, but if they don't do something soon I see early exists for both! All and all it should be a good game!

The Big East - There aren't too many stellar matchups this weekend in the Big East. Most of the games should be good and close in regular Big East brawling fashion but none of any real high profile greatness!
The one intriguing matchup is:
Seaton Hall vs (24)Providence Sunday Feb 1rst 12pm - Seaton Hall has been scrappy all year long and has one of the best in Sr G Andre Barrett. Unfortunately they have all the same problems as all the above; Weak out of conference schedule, bad losses, and not many ranked team opponents! On the other hand Providence is another darkhorse team that many should keep an eye on come tourney time! If Seaton hall can upset Providence, it will just make things that tighter at the top of the Big East!

UConn vs BC Sat 31rst @ 4pm - Uconn is 4-1 in Big East play! Still looked at as the team to beat in the Big East, although they are 3-2 in their last 5 games! They also have new found company in Pittsburgh and Providence atop the standings! They need a win over a capable BC team to seperate the men from the boys. BC can play the role of spoiler though and need to if they are going to make any attempot at post season play!

The 'Xir
01-31-2004, 02:52 PM
Sorry I just realized that I left out some big conferences like the WAC and SEC, and there was a great game earlier today between Kentucky and Vandy! I try to post as many potentialy good but mostly significant games being played, but It takes a good amout of time to do, and I get lazy! Sorry again!

The 'Xir
02-06-2004, 01:10 AM
Man I think I gotta start these post with Thursday's games! The last couple weeks there have been some awesome games on thursday night, and tonight's Duke NC overtime game was no different!

All Times Eastern Standard Time
No real big games on Friday, but a couple worth honorable mention:
Atlantic Sun Conference
Gerogia St. vs Troy State 7:30pm -- This should be a GREAT game! However, there is something nawing at me that says Georgia St. could get embarrassed! Both really need this win! Georgia St needs to win just to survive in an already tight conference race, and TSU playing at home needs the win to keep pace with Central Florida! Once again it SHOULD be a great game! :nerv:

Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference
St Peter's Vs Rider 8pm -- This game is much like the first, except for two things... 1)I doubt anyone in this conference will catch Manhattan! 2) this should be a great game that won't be! At first I thought naw Rider is at home and will play them tough, but no St. Pete's really needs this win if they want any shot at a conference title! If they let this game be close then they don't deserve a title!

Saturday
Well I ignored the WAC and SEC last time so let's start with them first:
THE SEC - remember when I talked about the lack of depth in the SEC? No? Well don't worry, I don't believe anyone reads these posts anyways but, it looks like some teams have finally answered the call! Could this be the year the SEC sends 6 teams to the tourney?..oh wait... they did that last year already! :stupid: It's possible that the SEC could have two ranked teams drop out of the Top 25 come monday...can you say hello to Creighton and Dayton! :zzz:
#24South Carolina vs #9Kentukcy 1pm -- Of anyone in this conference I would have guessed that South Carolina would have the best chance of upsetting Kentucky, but Vandy did it! So look for Kentucky to lay the smack-down on an unsuspecting Gamecocks! You know I couldn't pass up saying that! lol
#25Vanderbilt vs #21Florida 7:30pm -- Now here is a game that you literally could flip a coin at! However, IF Vandy is still celebrating it's win over the Wildcats, then they don't have a prayer against this well coached Gator team!
Miss. vs #7Miss ST 5:30pm -- This is really no contest, but ya can't underestimate interstate rivals! The more interesting thing will be how the Bulldogs will be treated in the polls after this win!

The WAC - The great thing about The WAC is there's a five team race for the top spot, the bad thing is they have no ranked teams! Nothing of much interest this weekend either!
Tulsa vs UTEP 9:05pm -- Why am I bothering to put this game up, so I can say this: Why isn't UTEP a rated Top25 team? Oh yeah the same reason Hawaii and Rice aren't... strength of schedule! Why would the NCAA's go through the hassle of explaining why one team is in and not the others, when it's just easier to leave them all out!
Hhmmmm... Nevada vs Louisiana Tech or Rice vs Boise St? Now If Nevada was playing Rice then it would be interesting! I Guess we'll just have to wait until Feb. 18th

The Big Ten - Just like The WAC where are all the Top25 rated teams? Badgers? Wee don't neeed no stinkin' Badgers! Needless to say they'll win their game this week, so who else is left..?
Iowa vs Indiana 4:37pm -- This should be the best game in the Big 10 this weekend, but it is Indiana at home! Would you want to bet against them? OK now settle down Hawkeye fans! ;)
Purdue vs Michigan 12:17pm -- OK Purdue just dropped out of the Top25, but manhandled Penn St as they should have! However somehow I don't think Michigan will push over as easily! This Will be the best game in the Big Ten this weekend, unless Purdue likes sliding down poles! :ermm:
Michigan St vs Ohio St 12pm -- Oh finally! The battle of the disappointments! However, Ohio St is the bigger disappointment. I don't care that Ohio is at home and if Mich St plays all #1 ranked teams for the rest of the year, If the Spartans don't absolutely destroy Ohio St in this game, then they have no right to go to the tourney this year!!!

The Atlantic 10 - Every year this conference churns out some exceptional teams, and I haven't given them their due credit!

La Salle vs #3St Joseph's 2pm - La Salle has absolutely no chance, but this will give me a chance to spotlight St Joe's. 19-0 says it all! This team is scary! It's Feb 6th and they've pretty much already won their conference division with a 5 game lead! The only bad thing about this team is they've only played 1 Top 25 team this year and it was their first game of the season! This could be a factor come tourney time! I would love to see a first round game between St Joseph's and Michigan St, ah hell why not make it the championship game!!!! :crazed: Syracuse was regarded as having one of the best if not thee best backcourt's in the nation, well guess what that title belongs to St. Joe's Sr G Jameer Nelson and Jr G Delonte Jones. Dick Vitale can keep all his diaper-dandy hub-bub right in Duke where it belongs!
Dayton vs Umass 2pm -- If Dayton can muster up an impressive win over Umass this Saturday, look for them to finally crack into the Top25. If they don't it would be a shame! If they don't win impressively look for either Air Force or Creighton to grab the glory!

The 'Xir
02-06-2004, 01:18 AM
It's 2:15am here and I'll continue the rest of this weekend games tommorrow!
:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

kool-aid killer
02-06-2004, 10:08 AM
I read what youve got to say, though ive got little to comment about. The Cornhuskers dont seem capable of beating any Big 12 teams. They either play them close for a half and get blown out, or even more heartbreaking, they lose a close one. Hopefully they can make a strong late season run because methinks the coach is in some hot water.

Creighton (which has a much larger basketball following here) is a good team, but not good enough to cause lots of trouble in the NCAA tournament. Last year was probably their best team and the fell out of the first round due to looking past their opponent and anticipating a match with Duke. I liked it when Creighton was a sleeper, now that most basketball heads know about them being good, they dont suprise anybody anymore.

The 'Xir
02-07-2004, 04:29 AM
Hey I wouldn't count The Jays out yet, Look at a team like Gonzaga who was everyones cinderella team and now everyone knows who they are but it's like the rest of us are sleeping beauty and need to wake up. Somehow Gonzaga is stillable to suprise people and we all still look at them as the darlings of the NCAA tourney! It is starting to get old, I'd love to see a team like Creighton make the move! and on that note:

Lots of great games this weekend!!!
Saturday All times EST
The Missouri Valley Conference

Game of the week
Southern Illinois vs Creighton 3pm -- What a game this should be! It's for all..well most of the marbles. Creighton has everything going for it, but the Salukis who are undefeated in conference play, are looking to snap the Jays 4 game winning streak! The one thing that does bother me about the Jays is it doesn't seem like they really have that goto guy or the guy who is really going to turn the game around for 'em! I don't think they have anyone who avg's 15 or more ppg. It does force them to play more as a team though and hey, It's 1 vs 2 baby and if Creighton at home can't muster a victory than it's goodnight Irene! I really think that South Carolina and Vanderbilt will drop out of the Top25 come Monday so Creighton needs this win for alot of reasons. If they don't win then you can always sell your tickets on ebay for Feb. 24's game!

The Pac-10
The other game of the week
#12Arizona vs #2Stanford 3pm -- This game isn't as important as the first and why it gets the runner up award! However, the Wildcats are looking for revenge from their earlier loss to Stanford at the Mckale center this season! I heard somewhere that the last 8 times these teams met the visiting team has won!!! That's crazy, but all signs point to a Zona win, and handing The Cardinal their first Pac-10 loss! However Like St Joes in the A-10 I think Stanford pretty much has the P10 wrapped up!

The Big12
Texas Tech vs Kansas 4pm -- This is another great game but a weird one at that! Kansas isn't as big as they have been in the past, and TT isn't big at all, I don't even think they have a true center do they? However, as the proverbial saying goes what they lack in size they make up for in quickness. TT is 1-2 in their last 3 gameshowever, but if they can keep their shooting percentage up in the mid to high 40's they should win! Otherwise look for a classic Kansas march to the big dance! Basically flip a coin!
Oklahoma St vs Iowa St 1:30pm -- Another big game with huge big12 implications!!! The suspensions of reserve forwards Marcus Dove and Tremaine Fuqua won't have that big of an impact on the game itself, but it could impact the Cowboys attitudes and overall play! This game has upset written all over it, but if the Cyclones are going to pull it out they are going to need a big game out of their Senior C Jackson Vroman!
Sunday
Oklahoma vs Texas 1pm -- This is another flip a coin game or it should be, but I just don't see Oklahoma being strong down the stretch. They need to be if they want to stick it out in conference play, but I think they're really going to need to win the Big 12 tourney in order to impress the Bracketologists! However, look for Rick Barnes to rally his troops, and put a nail in the Sooners season!

The 'Xir
02-08-2004, 12:59 AM
WOW what a day in college hoops! Stanford squeaked one out at home with a prayer at the last second, to break that consecutive road team winning streak! Also South Carolina may not slip out of the Top25 as I thought they might, only 'casue of their strong performance and only a 1pt loss to Kentucky! However, Creighton won't get in like I thought they might, That was a hard loss, another incredible 1pter game! However, seeing as how Vanderbilt lossed as I expected, and Southern Illinois are now poised to win their conference they may be the ones to finally crack the Top25 although Air Force won soundly today so there is alot churning at the bottom of the barrel!
Who knows, after another dreadful performance my poor orangemen may take an exit out of the polls as well, but I'm sure they'll drop down to 24 or 25! They always do this they win win win for forever it seems and then they always have these mid season slumps, then turn it back on at the end of the season; but they need to turn it around soon, because there is going to be alot of good competition for the tourney this year, and I bet alot of teams that probably deserve a chance to dance probably will be left out! Can't wait!!! :D :D :D

Exhaust Port
02-16-2004, 06:06 PM
I just started paying more attention to the MAC (sounds like the football season all over again) due to the success of Kent State (18-3) and also Western Michigan (18-2). Both teams would be lucky to see the Top 25 anytime soon just due to their schedules but it's not beyond possibility. If neither team faulter over the next month we could see them in March.

I've been looking for so exciting basketball to get behind ever since OSU self-destructed in the early 1990's. Perhaps I can look no further than the MAC? Never thought I would say that.

The 'Xir
03-01-2004, 12:03 AM
Sorry I haven't been around in awhile and done any of my weekend game posts, I've just been real busy!

Just thought I'd give a shot out to my Orangemen for Upsetting #3 Pittsburgh today!!! The scoring was pathetic, the Defense was incredible, but overall a great game, and a HUGE win for Syracuse! They really needed that one!!! A couple more like that would be nice! :)

EricRG
03-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Here here, Xir. That WAS much needed. Good 'ol Jimmy B. big D. SU is getting kinda hot at the right time of the year. We'll see next weekend if they can stay that way for the BE tournament. What about Providence? What a season. Who could have predicted the Friars winning the regular season title?

kool-aid killer
03-01-2004, 09:28 AM
Anybody hear that thudding sound over here in Nebraska? In case you are wondering, its the sound of Creightons bandwagon clearing out. No suprise here, people only liked them when they were hot. And with Nebraskas basketball squad showing some improvment and even beating some good squads (better than anybody Creightons beaten in the last couple of years) this year, i wouldnt be suprised if Nebrasketball suddenly becomes hip around here. I have said it before and ill say it again, ive always liked them much more than the Bluejays.

The 'Xir
03-09-2004, 11:45 AM
Well, it's championship week and 8 teams are already automatic bids into the big dance! So Congrats to:
Atlantic Sun Champion - Central Florida
Big South Champion - Liberty
CAA Champion - Virgina Commonwealth
The Ivy League Champion - Princeton
The MAAC Champion - Manhattan
Missouri Valley Champion - Northern Iowa
Ohio Valley Champion - Murray St.
and The Southern Conference Champion - East Tennessee St.

Can't wait for this weekend it's Saint Patty's Day(clebrated), and selection Sunday all in one!!! :crazed: could someone please pass me another... :dead:

The 'Xir
03-14-2004, 11:31 AM
Well today is Selection Sunday!!! Bracketology will begin at 6pm and everyone should be able to get there brackets filled by tonight or tommorrow morning!!! So who do you guys think will be the #1 seeds? Is your team in? who do you think will win it all?

Me and some friends of mine are already trying to decide if we want to go to Buffalo or to The Meadowlands in NJ for the East Regionals! We're predicting SU to get a 5 seed which means they'll head out west, but we're hoping that atleast Pittsburgh will stay in "Friendly" territory/venues! Even though they lost the Big East Championship to UConn, Pitt will be one of my Final Four teams especially if they stay here in the East!

Again, so who do you think will win it all?

The 'Xir
03-14-2004, 06:25 PM
We'll here's the complete bracket. (http://cbs.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/mayhem/brackets/viewable_men) So fire up your office pools and enjoy the madness!!! :crazed:

Kidhuman
03-14-2004, 06:29 PM
Well, I am glad St Joes got a no. 1 seed. They deserved it IMO. I am also glad UTEP made it in. Would of been a shame if they didnt. Also glad Richmond made it in. They had an impressive road wins over some big name teams. I do see ST. Joes losing to Texas Tech in the 2nd round though.

The 'Xir
03-14-2004, 10:22 PM
Well, my SU Orangemen did get the 5 seed and are headed out west to play BYU, a #12 seed. A #12 usually always beats a #5, but unless SU has a cold shooting night(which has happened plenty this season), I don't see it happening in this game! Although I do think they are capable to repeat, it looks like a sweet sixteen exit against Stanford for my orangemen this year!
One of my teams, I've mentioned to win it all is Pittsburgh, but oh did they get screwed hard in the brackets! They got a #3 seed when they shoulda been a #2 and as a result if both teams get by their first round wins, Pitt would ahve to face Wisconsin in Milwaukee!!! But now I guess I know how Big12 teams felt having to face Syracuse last year in Albany, NY!

Here are my probables for the final four:

St Louis: Kentucky will win. However there are many teams on the bottom half of this bracket that could advance including: Georgia Tech, Michigan St, or Gonzaga.
My biggest upset: Valpo over Gonzaga

East Rutherford: Pittsburgh should win. However, Oklahoma ST and Texas Tech definitley have a shot. One thing here to remember is Saint Joe's isn't a #1 seed just on there good looks! I don't have them going far myself, but There are the #1 seed!
My biggest upset: Manhattan over Florida

Atlanta: Duke should win. However, this bracket is loaded with Seaton Hall, Arizona, Cincy, North Carolina, Texas, and Miss St all capable of going deep into this tourney.
My biggest upset: E. Tenn St over Cincy(not saying they will, but Cincy always chokes in the tourney)

Phoenix: Stanford Should win. The other stacked bracket brings Alabama, Syracuse, Maryland, Vanderbilt, NC State, and Uconn. Alabama and Vandy should lose, but all these teams could beat the other on any given day!
My biggest Upset: I know my orangemen can F'up now and then, however my not so biggest upset would be the Selukies of #9 Southern Illinois over #8 Alabama then leading to my biggest upset with SIU over #1 Stanford!

kool-aid killer
03-15-2004, 10:16 AM
Well Nebraska made it to the NIT and will be playing Creighton in Omaha on Tuesday. Im hoping the Huskers will whip on them, they play in a tougher league and have beaten (and stayed close) with some good teams. GO NEBRASKETBALL!!!

Kidhuman
03-15-2004, 11:28 AM
Final Four predictions:

UCONN
NORTH CAROLINA
KENTUCKY
and the shocker.............TEXAS TECH

The 'Xir
03-18-2004, 03:33 PM
Well, the madness has begun! Congrats already to the Terps and the Crimson Tide for advancing! My upset special of Southern Illinois didn't quite make it as they fell short by 1pt against Alabama! Ya gotta love March! :D

EricRG
03-18-2004, 04:32 PM
Gerry Mac is the man!!! :)

The 'Xir
03-18-2004, 04:51 PM
Did you see that SU game?!!! When GMac is on...He's unbelieveably ON!!! SU pulled it out... congrats, and another upset I said to look out for, came true as #12 Manhattan upsets #5 Florida!!! :eek:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
I'm not normally a homer, but I think this could be the year that Pitt does some damage in the NCAAs. My Final Four is:
Pittsburgh - East Rutherford (UConn and Pitt will split the season series 2-2 as the Panthers take them in the title game)
Gonzaga - St. Louis (Kentucky and Kansas are not all that)
North Carolina - Atlanta (Can't beat a team 4 times in a year, Duke goes down)
Connecticut - Phoenix (relatively easy path will haunt them vs. Pitt)

My upsets are:
#12 Pacific over #5 Providence
#12 Manhattan over #5 Florida
#11 Utah over Boston College
#10 Nevada over Michigan St.
#8 Texas Tech over #1 St. Joseph's
#11 Western Michigan over #6 Vanderbilt
#4 Kansas over #1 Kentucky
#10 Louisville over #7 Xaiver and #2 Mississippi St.
#6 North Carolina over #3 Texas and #1 Duke

We'll see.

Kidhuman
03-18-2004, 07:59 PM
Right on Bel-Cam, I believe TTU is gonna advance to the Final FOur. Bobby Knight has em worked up this year. Especially after getting blasted in their tourny.

And Pitt got the shaft on their seeding IMO.

Bel-Cam Jos
03-19-2004, 07:50 AM
Right on Bel-Cam, I believe TTU is gonna advance to the Final FOur. Bobby Knight has em worked up this year. Especially after getting blasted in their tourny.

And Pitt got the shaft on their seeding IMO.
All the more reason for them to be motivated. Many of the seeds were a tad bogus. I heard the CBS interview with the guy in charge of seed placements and he said that the late Sunday game teams on Selection Sunday were placed no matter what the results were. Silly. Make predictions, people, for each possible scenario, then change to the right ones. :frus:

p.s. So far, I'm 14 for 17 in first round picks (Arizona, So. Illinois, and Lehigh have burned me).

EricRG
03-20-2004, 06:10 PM
OK-

So today Gerry Mac is NOT the man. lol

EricRG
03-20-2004, 08:21 PM
How pathetic is SU's Craig Forth? I mean the guy went to my high school and everything, but man, can I get a free throw here at the end of the game? 0-4 with the game on the line. :stupid:

Despite that, SU held on to face...Alabama! Man this is starting to look a lot like last years tournament with SU getting a scare in the first round (last year Manhattan, this year BYU), getting a break and having the big seed on their side of the bracket knocked off (last year Wake Forest, this year Stanford).

LET'S GO OR-ANGE! :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed: :crazed:

Bel-Cam Jos
03-20-2004, 11:44 PM
Well, today messed up my (and probably many other's) brackets. Good thing I don't ever enter pools, simply pick 'em for fun. All I care about is Pitt, though. The more top seeds go down, it just helps them.

The Big East can have 3 of the 4 Final Four spots, if Pitt, BC, and the 'Cuse can win a couple more.

Kidhuman
03-21-2004, 06:34 AM
Cant believe TTU lost. Thought for sure they would take that game. Like you BCJ, I am glad I dont enter office pools, because I would be done after yesterday.

The 'Xir
03-21-2004, 01:05 PM
I never pay to play the brackets unless it's something small like $5 bucks! The only ones I did this year were on espn's tourney challenge where you get 5 brackets for free and I think the winner can win upto $10,000!

In one of my brackets, I actually had Stanford losing, but to the selukies and not Alabama! I admitted that I also had St Joes exiting early, but I warned you guys that they're not a #1 seed just on their good looks and I do have them going to the final four in one bracket, but In reality I do think Pittsburgh or Ok State will be their undoing!

I'll also admit that although I thought my orangemen could repeat, I did think they were gonna get smacked by the Terps yesterday! Now I'm really excited, 'cause I do have one bracket with Da' Cuse winning it all over Kentucky in the CHampionship as a rematch of the '96 finals! :D :crazed: :greedy:

The 'Xir
03-21-2004, 01:23 PM
Also, as many of you know I've been touting Pittsburgh from the begining of the season, but I'm a little nervous about this game in Wisconsin!!! Hopefully not, but It should be a great game! :nerv:

The 'Xir
03-21-2004, 07:00 PM
WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Unbelievable!!! I thought the Pitt/Wisconsin game was good but how about UAB upsetting the Top #1seed Kentucky Wildcats!!! Looks like Ashley Judd will need some comforting tonight...my shoulder is definitly open for business!!! :D

JON9000
03-22-2004, 01:05 PM
N.C. State was robbed. An intentional foul with under 2 and a half? That was incidental contact and I sure hope that ref gets sent packing along with my team. It makes basketball completely joyless. :cry:

Kidhuman
03-22-2004, 01:12 PM
Yeah, that was a horrible call that led to a 5 point play. It cost them the game big time.

jjreason
03-22-2004, 03:40 PM
I'm in shock, I can't remember the last time 2 #1's were bounced out before making it to the sweet 16 (not that I've been following it that closely for the last few years). I didn't get a chance to see much of the first 2 rounds other than highlights, hopefully next weekend I'll be able to enjoy a bit more of the action.

The 'Xir
03-27-2004, 02:04 AM
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!

Well, My Orangemen made a good run but alas the National Champs have surrendered their reign! This tourney Is crazy!!! I 'can't believe Pitt lost too! Oklahoma St looked pretty impressive...most impressive. It should be interesting, the only bracket that I have left that shows any sign that I actually know what the heck I'm talking about, I have Duke, UCONN, and Oklahoma State in the Final Four...unfortunately I have Kentucky winning it all in that one... Oh well!

Bel-Cam Jos
03-27-2004, 08:27 AM
After Thursday, I now no longer have any reason to keep watching the tourney. Poor Pitt; can't score, and great defense (minus a game ending 21-9 run by OK St.) can only get you so far. :cry: My bracket still has UConn in the title game, but that's about it. I guess it's back to those house and home shows for me.

What?! Did I actually say that? Oh no...
:p

kool-aid killer
03-27-2004, 12:37 PM
Im hoping a Big 12 school takes it home. Kansas seems to be clicking right now, wouldnt it be ironic if they won it this year with the rookie coach after all those years with the old one not taking it all? I wont watch all the games left, ive yet to watch a full game this tourney, but i might catch the championship just to see who comes out as National Champ.

The 'Xir
04-04-2004, 12:34 AM
Well, it's set!!! Georgia Tech vs Uconn for the Championship!!!
Acc vs The Big East, let's go Huskies!!! Have I ever mentioned how much I hate the Acc! ;)
Hey, but thanx to all that contributed to this thread during the course of the season, I'm kinda suprised how little College hoops fans there are on this site, but what are ya gonna do! ThanX again to all, and may the best team win(as long as there in the Big East!!!) :classic: :crazed:

Kidhuman
04-04-2004, 09:00 AM
It will be UConn with ease. GT is good, but Mekafor(sp?) is just to damn much for anyone. He single handedly whooped Duke. His presence is awesome.

2-1B
04-04-2004, 01:09 PM
Was there an NCAA SSG bracket this year ? We should have done one on Yahoo or something . . . or maybe you guys did and I just never read this thread ? :D

Anyway, I picked Uconn to win it all in my pool and I don't even need them to win because I've got first place all locked up !

Round of drinks for everyone, on me ! ! !

Kidhuman
04-04-2004, 01:23 PM
I'll have a Jamesons sour

The 'Xir
04-04-2004, 10:46 PM
I'll take A Jack & Coke with either a Guiness or Labatt Blue chaser please!!! :D

Well the ladies championship is set as well, UConn vs Tennessee!

I remember watching part of the Ladies bracket breakdown, and one of the women commentators mentioned the diversitry in the brackets this year and how alot of womens programs have come along way which should provide alot of upsets and a good tourney overall! Well guess what, UConn and Tennessee are both back in the championship again!!! No offense, but it looks like womens hoops still has a way to go! I think it's great for the Big East that the Women Huskies are doing so well, but even I'm getting sick of them being there all the time, and I absolutely loathe the Lady Vols so I won't even go there! Wake me when it's over! :zzz:

Kidhuman
04-05-2004, 07:32 AM
That womans Uconn/Minn game was great. Uconn was able tofend them off down the stretch. Actrually looks tobe a decent game Tuesday night, but alas 24 is on, and womans sports will take a back seat to the killing and intrigue. Will flipover ot catch scores on commercials though.

Hopefully Uconn will sweep the NCAA's this year. Would be awesome. :beard:

The 'Xir
04-07-2004, 01:10 AM
Give it up to UCONN!!! What can you say, The 2nd Title for the Men, and the Third in a row for the Women!!! :eek:

Well, if I can't cheer for Da'Cuse, it's good to know the Title stays here in the Big East!!! Congrats UCONN!!! :)

Kidhuman
04-07-2004, 06:15 AM
Yes, UConn making history by being the first school to get the double. COngrats