PDA

View Full Version : Burger King Glass Figures???

OCB
12-01-2003, 06:51 PM
Today I found some possible pictures of the upcoming Burger King Glass Figures at a Japanese e-tailer. These will be Target exclusives as rumored by GalacticHunter a few weeks back here (http://www.galactichunter.com/absolutenm/templates/full_article_template_1.asp?articleid=1867&zoneid=7)

Check them out here (ObiWan and Darth Maul) (http://www.jedidefender.com/yabbse/index.php?board=5;action=display;threadid=3200)

Not sure if they are real or not...so take this with a grain of salt until further confirmation comes down the pipe

There are also rumors that a new Tarkin, Wicket and Bespin Guard are also coming

amidalak
12-01-2003, 09:16 PM
well, if those are the real deal, the glasses look pretty sharp. obi wan is the man, so i'd definitely get a few of those. why didn't hasbro try to get these out by Christmas? seem like a great gift for SW nuts like me!

Turbowars
12-01-2003, 09:20 PM
They look OK I guess. I was thinking of something better.

LTBasker
12-01-2003, 11:48 PM
Someone in that thread raised a valid point, the TPM glass looks photoshopped at the logo. It trails off at the side, and at the bottom of the logo the picture and colors don't match.

I wouldn't doubt the Obi-Wan is real, as I'm sure that could've been one of the glasses actually made. I just wonder if it wasn't just someone doing a custom TPM glass and then putting those figures and the Obi glass in the picture.

And Tat. Maul is definitely the poorest choice to rehash, though a very similar decision to what Hasbro would make, I still have my doubts from the edited picture.

JEDIpartner
12-02-2003, 09:56 AM
I have a feeling that these are just going to be repacks of old figures. I really can't see Hasblah going all out on newly made exclusives for Target especially with the animation-styled "Clone Wars" figures bowing at the begining of the year.

I'm passing. I have a full set of the vintage ones so I am chuffed. :happy:

jedi-cpa
12-02-2003, 11:30 AM
I still have my original sets!!!

TheDarthVader
12-02-2003, 01:48 PM
If hasbro is finally going to make a black bespin guard, why release him only with the glass? That does not make sense to me. Hasbro could sell more if they'd just release him on a card! I have been wanting a black bespin guard ever since the potj one came out. It can't be hard to make...just do a head and hand resculpt from the potj version :stupid: ! :mad:

El Chuxter
12-02-2003, 02:38 PM
Glass figures? Wouldn't they break?

Oh.

Uh, never mind.

Jargo
12-02-2003, 03:00 PM
The picture is a prototype mock up shot. But if it's just old figures repackaged it's simply to collar the completists and the newer fans out there.
Personally I think any logoed up drinking vessel is tacky. Badly printed artwork of the lowest order and printed on severly cheap and nasty glassware. Hardly worth getting in a flap about really.
Oh how the oversaturation of the star wars marketplace comes back to slap itself in the face with a dead horse.

Mandalorian Candidat
12-02-2003, 03:12 PM
If it is fact, then it looks like whoever is offering these are handing out older figures. The Tatooine Maul was all over the place by the time EP1 was pulled and that OB1 looks exactly like the POTJ version. Plus they've already made Tarkin, Wicket, and the Bespin Guard so they'd be super easy to redo.

If they are going to do this, then why not offer stuff that kids would like, such as the Clone Trooper or a Stormie?

bobafrett
12-02-2003, 03:41 PM
Well, the thing that doesn't make sense to me is, why would they be doing a promo like this in a non-movie year. I very rarely, if ever, see Burger King or any other fast food chain carry promotional products without the release of the movie to theatre, TV or VHS/DVD. Did I miss something? I mean are they planning on running all 5 movies that are currently made back at the theatre?

TheDarthVader
12-02-2003, 05:45 PM
Well, the thing that doesn't make sense to me is, why would they be doing a promo like this in a non-movie year. I very rarely, if ever, see Burger King or any other fast food chain carry promotional products without the release of the movie to theatre, TV or VHS/DVD. Did I miss something? I mean are they planning on running all 5 movies that are currently made back at the theatre?

No, no, no. They are supposedly TARGET exlclusive glasses with a bonus figure inside! :D

Mr. JabbaJohnL
12-02-2003, 06:24 PM
Yeah, the only reason they keep saying Burger King is because that's who gave out the old glasses like this. Anyway, they look good. I'll buy them just for the glasses, I see the figures as a bonus.

bobafrett
12-02-2003, 09:31 PM
Yeah, the only reason they keep saying Burger King is because that's who gave out the old glasses like this. Anyway, they look good. I'll buy them just for the glasses, I see the figures as a bonus.

Will they be a carded toy then ? :D Or will they be something you get with a beverage at the snack bar? :sur:

Tycho
12-03-2003, 01:25 AM
They want to separate the SW fans from the HotWheels scalpers at the 8am stampede, just so they can see how confused their red-eye shoppers get.

For the first time, many bachelor SW fans will learn where the housewares section is.

LTBasker
12-03-2003, 04:32 AM
For the first time, many bachelor SW fans will learn where the housewares section is.

That's the 18+ section isn't it? Hmm I may have trouble getting these..

I'd expect'em to be more an endcap sorta thing, like when I was at Target today they had the exclusive A-wings and Leia w/ speederbike all on just endcap shelves.

OC47150
12-03-2003, 08:54 AM
I think the glasses look sharp and can't wait to get my hands on them. I have all of the BK glasses except one (ANH Luke) and they are a prized part of my collection. Still trying to track that last one down, though...

DarkArtist
12-03-2003, 06:26 PM
I just hope that Hasbro finally realizes that fans want more than just some old rehashed figures that were't that hot to begin with. Hopefully they will design new figures like the at-st driver from the TRU sets

bobafrett
12-03-2003, 11:24 PM
I think the glasses look sharp and can't wait to get my hands on them. I have all of the BK glasses except one (ANH Luke) and they are a prized part of my collection. Still trying to track that last one down, though...

I thought I might have an extra ANH Luke glass but upon finding my extra glassware, I only found two Vader, 1 Chewbacca, and a fourth glass, but it wasn't the one you seek. Sorry :(

Tycho
12-04-2003, 12:54 AM
I have 2 sets of 4 ESB glasses only.

I wonder if these are the ESB ones they will re-release.

1 is Darth Vader and Boba Fett, I think some of the other bounty hunters are on it. It's mostly black and red.

2 is C-3PO and R2D2, they are on Hoth, and I think you can see Luke on his TaunTaun and the Probot on this one. (I'm not looking at them at the moment. They are in a top cupboard). It's mostly white.

3 is Luke and Yoda on Dagobah. R2 might also appear on this one. It's mostly green.

4 is Lando Calrissian, and cloud cars and Han and Leia on Bespin appear on this one. It is mostly orange.

They are all clear glasses. The colors I referenced just meant the pictures on the glasses, generally speaking.

Are these the ESB sets they'll be re-releasing. Or was there another collection similar to the ANH one we saw in that picture?

Did TPM ever have these glasses? They had the head-toppers with the characters with moving arms. I recall that for sure because I collected all 12 of those from Pizza Hut, Taco Bell, and KFC. I distinctly remembered loving those.

Count Dookula
01-03-2004, 03:07 PM
Someone finally came up with images of the burger king glass figures. Check it out at this site http://www.thejawa.com/

TheDarthVader
01-03-2004, 03:48 PM
Thanks for the link. Those pics are nice. Here are my thoughts:

Obi Wan EPIV--Rehashed POTJ and you dont get the handle to put on that hole you can see on his belt...NO NOT BUYING IT!

Luke Skywalker EPV--New Head Sculpt? Removable helmet? Still looks lame to me because of the POTF2-like body sculpt...NO NOT BUYING IT!

Slave Leia EPVI--New sculpt? Soft goods skirt. Or is this a rehash of the sail barge deluxe leia? I didn't get that figure so this one will be mine...BUYING IT!

Darth Maul EPI--Rehash Tatooine Maul, piece of junk...NO NOT BUYING IT!

Anakin Skywalker EPII--new head sculpt? Rehash or not?? I am not sure. If a new figure= BUY if rehash=NOT BUYING

Turbowars
01-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Looks like crap to me.:ermm:

plo koon 200
01-03-2004, 07:00 PM
These toys better be $5 or have some really good packaging.

Banthaholic
01-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Should be interesting to see the price point of these. I'm guessing around $10 would be right. While I would have liked to see more obscure characters, these will be a nice variety item for my collection.
I have 2/3 of the vintage glasses. Who knows, this might inspire me to complete those collection as well.

bobafrett
01-04-2004, 12:37 AM
Is it true what I heard, the glasses are plastic? I like real glass, like the old burger king glasses.

Turbowars
01-04-2004, 12:49 AM
Is it true what I heard, the glasses are plastic? I like real glass, like the old burger king glasses.You kidding, Hasbro wont even use hard plastics for their figures and you think they were Glass. Just making a joke, lol Nothing against you. I have to cover myself, because there are a few here that are very touchy.:stupid:

Beast
01-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Only one that looks to be anywhere's close to being new at all is the Luke: Snowspeeder Pilot w/ Removable Helmet. I'll get one of those atleast. The rest, ehh....depends on the price point. If more then $10, probably just the Luke. Yep, I was right. Read the 'More Info' link from the pictures. :)

First off, the Target Exclusive glasses! We've already seen images of the EPISODE I and EPISODE IV glasses with Ben Kenobi and Darth Maul. Here's the complete lineup for the Target glasses:

-EPISODE I - Darth Maul Note: This is the Darth Maul-Tatooine figure from the EPISODE I basic figure line.

-EPISODE II - Anakin Skywalker Note: This is the Anakin Skywalker-Hangar Duel figure from the SAGA basic figure line.

-EPISODE IV - Ben (Obi-Wan) Kenobi Note: This is from the Power Of The Jedi basic figure line)

-EPISODE V - Luke Skywalker Note: This figure appears to be a kitbash of the Power Of the Jedi Luke Skywalker - X-Wing Pilot basic figure & the Luke Skywalker from the POTJ Rebel Snowspeeder - Hoth Peril medium vehicle set. The figure features a lightsaber and removable helmet.

-EPISODE IV - Princess Leia Organa Note: This figure is the Princess Leia Organa figure with vibroblade from the Power Of The Jedi Deluxe Sail Barge Cannon set.

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
01-04-2004, 01:07 AM
You kidding, Hasbro wont even use hard plastics for their figures and you think they were Glass. Just making a joke, lol Nothing against you. I have to cover myself, because there are a few here that are very touchy.:stupid:

No offense taken! :classic: I don't know, it looks like my 04' funds are going to be limited, so if the "glasses" are made of plastic, I'll probably take a pass, unless the price is right.

LTBasker
01-04-2004, 04:04 AM
Only one that looks to be anywhere's close to being new at all is the Luke: Snowspeeder Pilot w/ Removable Helmet. I'll get one of those atleast.

Yea, only one we've really ever needed. That's at least $7-10 worth right there, considering you'd have to buy the POTJ figure and the POTF2 Hoth Luke (or pay a small bundle for the Snowspeeder).

One thing I don't get is the Maul glass still looks like a poor photoshopping, I guess they haven't got any pics of the final glass. I may also get Slave Leia, because I never could find that anywhere. And Obi-Wan for the glass, who doesn't want to drink from Alec Guiness? :D

Personally I would've rather seen Holo R2 for the ANH or TPM glass.

darthzirock
01-04-2004, 11:45 PM
One thing I don't get is the Maul glass still looks like a poor photoshopping, I guess they haven't got any pics of the final glass.

Look carefully ... all of the glasses in those pix are photoshopped! My guess is that the pix were taken before there were prototype glasses available, but the artwork had been finalized. The Episode I glass was just done a bit more sloppily than the others, is all.

OCB
01-11-2004, 12:20 AM
Packaged pics are up...

http://user.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/show/auctions?userID=robochris_inc&&f=&at=true&alocale=0jp

Beast
01-11-2004, 12:30 AM
Oooo, Thanks OCB. Those look nicely packaged. And it's nice to see the figures in the 'Hall of Fame' Series as well. Dunno why they chose the crappy Obi-Wan: Corsurant Chase figure for the Obi-Wan choice. The others are good though. And I see they changed the C-3PO from the Shop Worn to the MMC (Millenium Minted Coin) version. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

bobafrett
01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
I like the packaging! A lot different than I had imagined. Any word on an approximate retail price on these yet?

Turbowars
01-11-2004, 12:49 AM
Wow, I can't believe I like the packagaing. It looks nice. I'm happy to see they put a little thought into it and just didn't put the figures in a baggy and throw them in the cup with shrink wrap over it. You are right about the OBi JJB. Why Hasbro, you just released it with the crap *** 4 pack. Oh well the 3PO looks nice and I bet there's lots of young collectors that didn't get him and that Chewy.

evenflow
01-11-2004, 01:08 PM
They look nic eint he packaging, but how many version sof the same figures do i really need? I think i will pick up the Luke in SnowSpeeder uniform, but unsure about the others. As for the hall of fame assortment i think 3PO will be all that i pick up.

plasticfetish
01-12-2004, 01:16 AM
You know, my only problem with this "cup" thing is... do we get a 6th one later, or is this just gonna be an incomplete set of 5? (That, and I didn't know they were gonna be cheesy plastic cups until now. Kinda dorky.) I'll file these under, "when it goes on clearance I'll get them."

They should have held off on this idea 'til later, and then released a set of 6 including a preview figure for episode 3.

JEDIpartner
01-12-2004, 01:51 PM
I just perused these. I'm not picking these up. The figures are just repacks. I'm also glad they aren't repors of the old Burger King glasses. I have a complete set of them at home. I had them all except for Luke Skywalker: A New Hope until my last birthday. My BF got that one for me off of eBay. It was mint!

OC47150
01-12-2004, 02:01 PM
Has anyone heard a suggested price or a more definite release date other than spring? I was just curious.

I'm still missing the ANH Luke glass, Jedipartnr. A weekend ebay auction for the original four glasses sold for $26, which is the cheapest I'd seen in a long time.

bobafrett
01-12-2004, 03:55 PM
I'll have to look through my extra BK Glasses, I forgot which ones I have. I doubt if I have an extra Luke, but if I do I'd be willing to part with it. Like I said though, I'll have to look again, and it's boxed up in my closet, I'll try to check this out tonight.

OC47150
01-12-2004, 04:10 PM
I'd appreciate any assistance.

I got lucky and found ANH Han at the flea market about three years ago. That encouraged me to keep looking.

bobafrett
01-12-2004, 04:14 PM
I'd appreciate any assistance.

I got lucky and found ANH Han at the flea market about three years ago. That encouraged me to keep looking.

I picked up two glasses from the original series at a flea market for around $5 each. I only need one of them to complete my collection, but at that time, I couldn't remember which one, so I bought them both.

JEDIpartner
01-13-2004, 08:47 AM
I'm still missing the ANH Luke glass, Jedipartnr. A weekend ebay auction for the original four glasses sold for $26, which is the cheapest I'd seen in a long time.
That's a pretty fair price on those, I think. I guess it depends on the condition of the glass. Some of them look like they've been through the washer about 300,000 times and the silkscreening has faded. Those are completely worthless.

bobafrett
01-13-2004, 09:23 AM
OC47150, sorry, I looked through my extra BK glassware, and I have 2 Vaders, 1 chewbacca from the original Star Wars series, and a glass from the Jedi series. No Lukes to be found. I tried.

jjreason
01-13-2004, 01:48 PM
They're doing it for money. Pure and simple. They know they can put out these garbage glasses with old or rehashed figures and charge a fortune for them. Thousands of us will be only TOO eager to rush out and drive around for HOURS AND HOURS to get them, JUST so we can rush back home to ***** online about how crappy they are. Im only going to get any set that comes with a figure I don't have. Oh, how I hope that doesn't come to pass.

JEDIpartner
01-13-2004, 02:11 PM
Do you honestly foresee that happening? We are talking "Hasblah" here... :silly:

Dark Marble
01-14-2004, 09:28 AM
I don't know if this has been covered, but are the figures with glasses (cups) going to be located in the figure section at Target, or will they be with the cups and dishes? Kind of a silly question, but they can be classified as figures or kitchenware. Interesting to think about looking for figs over next to the dishes. :crazed:

OC47150
01-14-2004, 09:34 AM
Good question. I don't think anyone's asked it yet. You would think with the toys but who knows!

bobafrett
01-14-2004, 03:13 PM
I don't know if this has been covered, but are the figures with glasses (cups) going to be located in the figure section at Target, or will they be with the cups and dishes?

Good question. I don't think anyone's asked it yet.

Will they be a carded toy then ? :D Or will they be something you get with a beverage at the snack bar? :sur:

They want to separate the SW fans from the HotWheels scalpers at the 8am stampede, just so they can see how confused their red-eye shoppers get.

Sorry, having a little fun, though it doesn't officially answer the Question. :cool:

stillakid
01-14-2004, 04:21 PM
I have a small collection of the BK glass versions pictured below. Off and on I've thought about selling them off so unless a new figure comes with the new Target glasses, there isn't much incentive to go get them at all, much less hunt them down like the exclusives they are. :dead:

OCB
07-12-2004, 02:30 PM
Wave 2?

http://www.jedidefender.com/

OC47150
07-12-2004, 02:34 PM
Interesting. I hadn't heard a word on these until just now.

OCB
07-12-2004, 02:36 PM
:p I had a report a few months ago (linked in that story) that there might be more of these coming. I'm skeptical that they will happen still, these existing sets are huge shelf warmers

Samuel Windu
07-13-2004, 12:55 PM
Hope it is true will coming.I want Boba :)

dindae
07-13-2004, 01:06 PM
It is truly amazing how many ways we can be offered the same Han. :bored:

Mr. JabbaJohnL
07-19-2004, 11:09 AM
And they haven't even released all of wave 1 yet!!! My Targets still have lots of Obi-Wans and Darth Mauls, they're never going to get these.

OC47150
07-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Patience, padawan, patience.

Lazer Brain
07-28-2004, 07:18 PM
well, i completed my set of glasses today, and yes the figs are all rehashes, but i do like the cups. they seam to be fairing ok, i have yet to notice any bad color/paint wear on my glasses , but darth seams to have a rubbing point around the middle. i hope they last.
later

dindae
07-31-2004, 05:45 PM
I just saw the current wave of glasses on clearance at Traget for 6.98 in case anyone was waiting for that.