PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Stone back with more silliness: The Top 500 Albums

El Chuxter
12-02-2003, 12:15 PM
This is sorta old news, but Rolling Stone came up with a somewhat ridiculous list of the top 500 albums of all time: http://www.rollingstone.com/features/coverstory/featuregen.asp?pid=2164.

Pretty funny stuff. Some albums are spot on, but the majority leaves me scratching my head.

I'm going to compile some thoughts on the list, and post them here later, but in the meantime, your thoughts! :D

The Overlord Returns
12-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Saw this poor excuse for an albums list last week....pure and utter crap...

How Sgt. Peppers beats out revolver AND the White Album for number one is beyond me...

James Boba Fettfield
12-02-2003, 01:10 PM
I don't know who ranked these but what is Appetite for Destruction doing in the top 100? A Notorious Big album in the top 150? Radiohead making the list twice in the top 200? Some of these things leave me puzzled.

But I will leave you with this most confusing choice on the list:

17. Nevermind, Nirvana

:confused:

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-02-2003, 01:18 PM
Radiohead making the list twice in the top 200? Some of these things leave me puzzled.
:confused:

I agree with you here, JBFF; Radiohead should've been in the top 50, at least the top 20. :crazed:

I'm surprised they didn't rank Nirvana higher; it seems that every critic adores the overrated hype about them.

Might just be me though. :D

El Chuxter
12-02-2003, 02:26 PM
Pet Sounds shoulda been #1. :)

One of the biggest mind-bogglers to me is how low some true classics ranked:

43. Pink Floyd: Dark Side of the Moon
47. John Coltrane: A Love Supreme
57. Rolling Stones: Beggar's Banquet
62. U2: Achtung Baby
73. AC-DC: Back in Black
85. Bruce Springsteen: Born in the USA
89. Dusty Springfield: Dusty in Memphis
91. Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (This one's a major "WTF?")
115. Derek & The Dominos: Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs
116. Etta James: At Last
160. T Rex: Electric Warrior
172. Rod Stewart: Every Picture Tells a Story
228. Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic
230. Queen: A Night at the Opera (Freakin' Green Day outranked the only entry by Queen?)
258. Grateful Dead: American Beauty
262. Grateful Dead: Workingman's Dead
320. Nick Drake: Pink Moon
337. Jethro Tull: Aqualung
343. Meatloaf: Bat Out of Hell
351. Dire Straits: Brothers in Arms
364. American Recordings: Johnny Cash
384. Def Leppard: Pyromania
390. The White Stripes: Elephant (Not that I think it belongs, but this is Rolling Stone! I'm surprised it wasn't #2!!)
415. Van Halen: Van Halen
437. George Harrison: All Things Must Pass
473. Coldplay: A Rush of Blood to the Head
496. Kiss: Destroyer

Right there's enough to round out the top 50, if you weed out garbage like Thriller. (Yeah, it's one of the biggest sellers, and "Billie Jean" is probably the best pop tune of all time, but the album hasn't aged well.)

Nothing by Mellencamp, nor Matthew Sweet's Girlfriend? Frank Zappa's jazz masterpiece Hot Rats should've ranked, and highly (much better than the two Zappa & the Mothers of Invention albums they included). I'd also consider Pete Yorn's musicforthemorningafter a strong top 100 contender. That's a dern good album.

Here's thoughts on the Beatle-centric higher slots from a friend of mine:

The Beatles - okay, I understand the Beatles changed rock history. That said, I have two separate complaints. First, every time they cleared their throat, it wasn't noteworthy. Then, with everything that they did put in, they deliberately slighted "Magical Mystery Tour" and I don't like it.

Nothing against Liz Phair, but Exile in Guyville is another strong contender for "Most Overrated Album Ever."

The Overlord Returns
12-02-2003, 02:53 PM
OK Computer should have been in the top 10 ...along with "London Calling" by the Clash....

bobafrett
12-02-2003, 03:49 PM
What! No Barry Manilow? I'm outraged!

Jedi Tech
12-03-2003, 09:27 AM
Seem more like a list of crap to me, the more i think about it the more it makes me want to write these fools and let them know about.

Where the hell is Bon Jovi's (Slippery When Wet) album or Pearl Jam (Ten) or Tesla (Five Man Accoustical Jam) or Stevie Ray Vaughan And Double Trouble (Couldn't Stand The Weather) or better yet any of the Hips albums. The top 100 is a joke and the rest along with it. I like Biggie, Dre, and lots of other rap music but they should not be on the list before Kiss in any way.

Kidhuman
12-03-2003, 10:18 AM
Another list Rs has mucked up? Floyd, in the top 200 for years and number 43? I wouldnt use this list for T.P.

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-07-2003, 10:50 AM
Remember, this list was not complied by Rolling Stone editors and writers but rather by musicians, executives, and people in the music biz. I don't remember how many contributed, but I believe it was in the hundreds.

We are always going to gripe about this album, or that one, but I think on the whole, RS did a good job ranking the albums. One reason Sg't Pepper's ranked #1, despite many, many people thinking that "Revolver" was a better album had to do with it's influence and how that album revolutionized music. That was one of the points that earned major consideration in the ranking. And yes, there will be omissions like Pearl Jam's Ten and a few classic Genesis albums, but I state again that RS did a good job.

One thing, there were too many "Greatest Hits" albums on the list and another thing, RS has been doing a lot of rankings lately. Perhaps to generate controversy, perhaps to sell more issues, perhaps to stoke the fires of readers like us. These rankings will always cause a ruckus.

evenflow
12-08-2003, 12:19 PM
Nevermind the list, I am amazed at some of what you guys are posting. If kurt Cobain would have never killed himself no one would have ever cared. Don't get me wrong Nevermind was a good album, not one of the greatest. Appetite For Destruction is perhaps on of the greatest albums ever. Does is still hold the record for highest selling debut album? Radiohead is just a cheap imitation of a band trying to be good and amazing, which brings me to saying that Pink FLoyd should have been so much higher. And Black Sabbath's first album shoudl have been #1. Of course this is just all my opnion, i hope no one takes offense to it.

billfremore
12-08-2003, 12:21 PM
I will ignore that Radiohead comment and simply agree with the ridiculous snubbing of the Floyd. :D

Exhaust Port
12-08-2003, 01:09 PM
17. Nevermind, Nirvana:confused:
Looking through the list I think all of Nirvana's albums (minus their first, Bleach) are on the list. I don't get it. Nirvana was one of several bands to make a new sound popular but it seems that their legend is growing with every year since Coban killed himself. It's a good album but there are tons of albums listed below that which are more influencial and everlasting. How much influencing does Nirvana do now? None, IMHO.

The Overlord Returns
12-08-2003, 01:34 PM
I will ignore that Radiohead comment and simply agree with the ridiculous snubbing of the Floyd. :D

It should be ignored, especially since the comment comes from someone calling Appetite for Destruction one of the greatest albums ever, AND says that the first Black Sabbath album should have been the number one recorf on the list :crazed:

El Chuxter
12-08-2003, 02:10 PM
I think nothing by Nirvana, Tupac, or Notorious BIG would be remembered as "great" if everyone was still alive today.

evenflow
12-08-2003, 02:12 PM
If it wasn't for Black Sabbath there would not be any metal or hard rock bands today. Simple as that. Guns N' Roses should be held high for finally saving the 80's out of the pop hair bands that called themselves rock. I mean I know they had the hair in the the video for Welcome to the Jungle, but that didn't last long.

The Overlord Returns
12-08-2003, 02:29 PM
If it wasn't for Black Sabbath there would not be any metal or hard rock bands today.

Hey, I like Black sabbath, but there is no way any album by them could be classified as better than Revolver, or the White Album. As for Heavy Metal, you could make the same claim about led Zeppelin. Hell, what aboiut MC 5, they predate Sabbath, If IRC...

Guns N' Roses should be held high for finally saving the 80's out of the pop hair bands that called themselves rock. I mean I know they had the hair in the the video for Welcome to the Jungle, but that didn't last long.
[/QUOTE]

Guns and Roses WERE a hair metal band on that album. Again, I like GNR, but AFP just doesn't rank that high when you look at some of the competition.

James Boba Fettfield
12-08-2003, 05:40 PM
I understand where you're coming from, evenflow. Being a rock fan, you'd like to see the likes of Sabbath score higher on the list. I'm disappointed in AC/DC's position on the list. But, again, that's the rock fan speaking. I don't listen to hip hop, so I can't fathom why some of those albums are on there.

I like my rock music, plain and simple. You would think an album like Master of Puppets would warrant a higher ranking on the list(Metallica fan or not, that's an excellent metal album and it's aging well).

Those Beatles albums have stood the test of time, so that warrants them high positions. I'm not a Beatles fan by any means, but I can understand why they'd make the tops so many times.

There's a lot of different genres of music to represent, and not everyone's going to be pleased with where their number one album ranks on someone else's list. Personally, I feel some albums on there are too high on the list. Maybe in 15 years when those bands fade out, their albums won't be so highly regarded.

Maybe a list like this will look better for you evenflow:

01. LED ZEPPELIN Led Zeppelin
02. BLACK SABBATH Black Sabbath
03. ALICE COOPER Welcome To My Nightmare
04. THE BEACH BOYS Pet Sounds
05. AEROSMITH Rocks
06. MOTORHEAD Ace Of Spades
07. VAN HALEN Van Halen
08. LYNYRD SKYNYRD (Pronounced Leh-Nerd Skin-Nerd)
09. UFO Strangers In The Night
10. SOCIAL DISTORTION White Light, White Heat, White Trash

That's a partial list of the albums one musician (guess who :confused: ) submitted to Rolling Stone when he was polled for this.

I hear you, though, evenflow, on how the final 500 list seems to be lacking.

Exhaust Port
12-08-2003, 10:45 PM
Your list is a lot better than the RS list. Send it to them as a correction.

jeddah
12-09-2003, 06:41 AM
I think it is funny how these essentially meaningless polls are taken so seriously by people! :crazed: . For one thng, music is such a personal and important thing, it is bound to generate some ire! The thing is, to do a list like this justice, you need a broad spectrum of musical genres and as a general rule, although many people say they like "all sorts of music" it is unlikely that they will have Bounty Killer and Kate Bush (for example) standing shoulder to shoulder in their record collection. And if they do, chances are they will be more into Prog Rock than Dancehall Bashment, or vice versa.

I am someone who lives for soul music, trad and new Rnb, some rap and the hip hop culture. From the posts above, I am looking at the names and thinking how I don't like the music from those groups. All the same, I don't take it so seriously to actually react with shock and irritation/frustration to see that Rahsaan Patterson, Musiq, Erykah Badu, Lauryn Hill or Timbaland are not mentioned above and probably not in the poll. I don't expect them to be, and I think making different genres of music essentially compete against each other in such a list is eminently worthless let alone pointless.

What about symphonies recorded to vinyl or CD? Do they count? Something that was written by a child hundreds of years ago? Can anyone tell me if Mozart is in that list?

I like some pretty unpopular things; Jar Jar Binks, for example. People slam SW OT and PT but I am happy that I love them all. I don't get on with Buffy, Smallville or Stargate SG-1 but that's fine with me. My brother loves SW and ST but I can't even bribe him to watch Farscape which I know he would love far more than ST if he ever saw it. RS's pollsters - musicians or not - are not an authority on what are classic albums and I think the responses here in this thread are valuable only inasmuch as we are all asserting who are our favourite artists; who we would have in our top 10 :D

jeddah

evenflow
12-09-2003, 01:07 PM
I think it is funny how these essentially meaningless polls are taken so seriously by people! :crazed: . jeddah

Well I really don't think any of us are taking the list too serious, actually not serious at all. It is just something to discuss. When it comes down to it, no one will ever be happyu with any list. People have their likes and dislikes, its all a matter of opinion. Its all in good fun.

jeddah
12-10-2003, 03:48 AM
Well I really don't think any of us are taking the list too serious, actually not serious at all. It is just something to discuss. When it comes down to it, no one will ever be happyu with any list. People have their likes and dislikes, its all a matter of opinion. Its all in good fun.

That's a much more nifty and efficient paraphrase of my post :) ;)

jeddah

plasticfetish
12-11-2003, 12:58 PM
Is Rolling Stone magazine still around? Gawd, when will that thing finally die? It's the Bob Hope of the magazine world.