PDA

View Full Version : Decorating forChristmas

Kidhuman
12-03-2003, 12:49 PM
If this falls into the religious thread category I am sorry.

I love decorating for Christmas. I have put up all my decorations with the wife over the last few days. My favorite is my little Christmas village. Got the little town, with the little people and all. It is awesome. Got it all at Dollar Tree, each peice was only one dollars. Cant beat that.

Also My Christmas tree is awesome. I dunno why, but it just gives me a sense of happiness when I walk into my living room and see it all lit up and decorated. I gotta hang my outside lights today or tomorrow. Its loads of fun to decorate for Christmas.

El Chuxter
12-03-2003, 03:29 PM
My wife puts out a Christmas village. I hope to sneak in a few random additions to it this year. :D

Exhaust Port
12-03-2003, 03:48 PM
Years past I've decorated a real tree but due to my holiday schedule last year and this year I've passed. My main source of holiday spirit is a traffic barrel complete with a flashing orange light on top that is wrapped in christmas lights. Beautiful. :)

EricRG
12-03-2003, 04:40 PM
I'm gonna decorate a tumbleweed! :happy:

LTBasker
12-03-2003, 04:41 PM
It can be interesting, I help decorate every year. Mostly what I do is outline the yard with lights on stakes. We just started doing that a few years ago.

Last year we got a tree that had the lights pre-wrapped on it, and this is the first year we've had to use it after storing it. Well since we basically can just shove it in a box for a year, finding all the light plugs in the tree became more trouble than just putting them on ourselves. :p

Jedi_Master_Guyute
12-03-2003, 08:26 PM
we have about 120-130 of those little pieces called Dickens Village, which some of you might be talkinga bout? Anyway, it's become my duty to put those up over the last few years to put those up. It can be a chore, but when those bad boys are lit up in the dark, it fills me with the joy of the season!! cheers!! :D

Bel-Cam Jos
12-03-2003, 08:48 PM
Standards:
- outdoor Christmas lights
- artificial tree
- Nativity scene
- screen door wreaths
- bows outside windows
- etc.

Star Wars-wise:
- small artifical tree with only SW ornaments (have about 25-30 now)

bobafrett
12-04-2003, 12:18 AM
I made a stencil of the Imperial logo or "snowflake" then took a can of snow flock and sprayed it on my front room window. Imperial snowflakes, what could be better? (picture to come) I have the tree up, but since this will be only the second Christmas I have spent with my son in the last 8 years, I left the ornaments for the 2 of us to put up on the tree.

Oh, and I finallt made an inventory of my SW Hallmark ornaments, to find that I'm missing two from the 1998 series. I'm sure I have them somewhere, just a matter of digging through some boxes to find them.

Kidhuman
12-04-2003, 01:03 AM
My wife puts out a Christmas village. I hope to sneak in a few random additions to it this year. :D

You gonna sneak some Kit figures in there? Kit CLaus? Kit the grinning reindeer?

El Chuxter
12-04-2003, 01:12 PM
Not exactly, but last year it took her a few weeks to see a tiny Han PVC figure hiding behind the edge of a building, gun drawn, waiting to ambush a couple of carolers.

Jargo
12-04-2003, 02:04 PM
Well. I don't celebrate christmas. But folks in my street do as they've strung up enough lights to illuminate Vegas. Now i don't mind nice lights. Twinkly ones set out well with thought and care put into it all. But what i do object to is the guy across the street who just slapped up lights in a random haphazard way. Ugly and excessive. They don't twinkle they strobe. Ugly trains and reindeer pulled sleighs that strobe so fast you get a headache looking at them. He also leaves them on all night so you can't sleep for light flashing on your walls. Ordinarily it wouldn't bother me, but as the houses in my street are only twenty feet apart it's kind of close, like having a flashing hotel sign outside the window. I kinda feel like getting a row of PIR intruder alert lamps and having them on all night directed at his house. Y'know like a row of mini floodlights but dazzling bright halogen. Maybe put them on flicker by connecting a flourescant strip light regulator to them.
Yes I'm a grumpy old scrooge. Heck how could i be anything else :D but really, I don't mind other people celebrating as long as it isn't intrusive to my non celebrating household.
I accept that xmas is for the kids and those with the kid still inside. I don't accept having it jammed down my throat as I try to sit and relax watching a tv show or making out in the front room with my partner. Strobe lights kinda put me off, y'know?
Oh, and the last time I decorated the house before I turned no xmas I dit it all with orange deccies. Orange deccies for my orange house. all the prezzies were wrapped in orange paper and bows. The only green was the fake tree. They don't have orange ones unfortunately, least they didn't back then.
Best thing about not decorating is not having stremers come down on your head unexpectedly and not having to take it all down after xmas, not having to vaccuum up the tree neddles or pieces of fake tree embedded into the carpet.
My sister gave me a window decoration thing last year that was supposed to be candles but was just tubes with bulbs in the end. Unfortunately while moving stuff in the attic this summer it fell off a really high shelf and got broken :sur: so it won't be used because we had to throw it out damaged beyond repair........

So I guess if I celebrate anything I celebrate some kind of original pagan thing. It's nothing to do with saint Nicholas, or santa claus or 'the holiday season' :rolleyes: but more about warding off the bad spirits of the darkness and worshipping the sun and enticing it to come back and bring new life to the natural world. Yuletide mistletoe and wassailing. Hugging trees and lighting a fire in the outdoors near the tree spirits to show them it's okay to wake up.

Might sound hokey but it's no more hokey than what most folk do. ;)

bobafrett
12-07-2003, 08:18 PM
Well, I said I'd include some pictures, so heres a link to my online photo album of my tree and window deco for the 2003 Christmas season. I've only bought one gift, a pair of rollerblades for my son!

http://www.printroom.com/ViewAlbum.asp?userid=bobafrett&album_id=164625

James Boba Fettfield
12-07-2003, 09:54 PM
Representing all your favorites on that tree, eh bobafrett?

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
12-07-2003, 10:27 PM
Does our family go overboard for The Holidays? A little bit. But so do a lot of families I gather, I can tell just by taking a stroll through the neighborhood.

It takes us about a week to finish putting up our decorations. Of course, we do a little each day, but we have a lot to do, including: stringing outdoor lights, two Christmas trees, a Christmas village, three gigantic wreaths, plus numerous crap, I mean crafts and indoor decorations that we've accumulated through the years.

We have two trees because my mom picked out a "designer" tree about 6 years ago when a craft store my sister worked at went out-of-business. She got it for a real good price. Our other tree is relegated to our family room where we throw all the stuff we made in art class through the years (for 6 children that's a lot) plus all the tacky stuff my mom won't let on the other three.

Our Christmas village expanded at a yearly rate for many years. I don't think we've added anything within the last 2-3 years because of a lack of space. I'll post a pic up soon.

All the work pays off. Nothing beats sitting in the family room drinking hot cocoa, snow flying outside, watching the ceramic Santas and other assorted trinkets in front of you, and the musical lights blare "O Come All Ye Faithful" on the tree, as you sit to watch some holiday special on TV. :)

bobafrett
12-08-2003, 12:26 AM
Representing all your favorites on that tree, eh bobafrett?

You bet! It was funny, my son and I were hanging the ornaments and he looked at the date on one of them and said "Wow, 1986, that's old". Yes a whole 5 years before he was born! The thing that upset me, is the lights on the trees are not compatible with the plug in light up ornaments like the Death Star, or the Falcon. I guess I'll be buying a new set of lights after Christmas when they go on sale.

Banthaholic
12-15-2003, 02:44 AM
The thing that upset me, is the lights on the trees are not compatible with the plug in light up ornaments like the Death Star, or the Falcon. I guess I'll be buying a new set of lights after Christmas when they go on sale.
I had the same thing happen to me, I had to position the Gungan sub with a set of lights that were compatible.

On a side note, I think it'd be fun if people would post a pic of their finished tree/house decorated SW style.

I'm sure some will have some good all SW tree's. My will be a mixture of everything. I'm still decorating mine, but will post one when done.

bobafrett
12-15-2003, 12:54 PM
On a side note, I think it'd be fun if people would post a pic of their finished tree/house decorated SW style.

I'm sure some will have some good all SW tree's. My will be a mixture of everything. I'm still decorating mine, but will post one when done.

Did you happen to see the photo link to the pictures of my tree? It's in post #12 on the first page of this thread.

I hope more people post pics of their holiday decorations! :)

Banthaholic
12-15-2003, 04:49 PM
Bobafrett, I like the tree too cool. We're still decorating ours. My girlfirend wanted her 'perfect' tree, when we got home it came to be 8 1/2' tall. So it's taking me longer than I would have thought.

bobafrett
12-16-2003, 02:42 AM
A couple of years ago, I was shopping for an artificial tree. I picked one up dirt cheap after Christmas at Wal-Mart. I however failed to notice that it was a 9 foot tree and my ceiling is maybe 7 to 7 1/2 foot tall. Luckily, my girlfriend at the time had a tree that she had to prop up on crates to fill her living room. We ended up swapping trees, and my beautiful 9 foot tree is in her house, and I got her attic smelling Christmas tree now. I need to buy some pine scent for the tree.

InsaneJediGirl
12-16-2003, 11:18 AM
I didnt go too overboard this year,not really in the Christmas-y mood.Second,standing on a ladder with 30 mph winds trying to put up lights will test anyones spirit.

I've got some SW action figures hanging out on our tree,next year I plan on decorating an entire SW theme tree with some type of Star Wars village underneath.Maybe have the Clones conduct the train :)What to do outside though?Too bad they dont make an inflatable Santa Yoda like they do for other things.

Nice windows Bobafrett:D

Mandalorian Candidat
12-16-2003, 04:02 PM
A couple of years ago, I was shopping for an artificial tree. I picked one up dirt cheap after Christmas at Wal-Mart. I however failed to notice that it was a 9 foot tree and my ceiling is maybe 7 to 7 1/2 foot tall.

That's pretty funny. Same thing happened to us when we got out fake tree a couple of years ago at an after XMas Lowe's sale. We were living in family student housing that wouldn't allow real trees (I guess they think us college students are all careless pyros or something), so we put up butcher paper on the wall and drew a tree on it instead. After that XMas we got the tree and found out it's 8'. Lucky that the house we ended up buying has a ceiling at just over 8' but it's harder than heck to stick anything on the tip like an angel or star.

Banthaholic
01-02-2004, 01:56 AM
I never did get any good pics of my tree.
Funny story, my girlfriend, made a subtle observation that there were overly alot of SW ornaments on our tree this year
So I figured next year it'll be even more full, so I hit Target today and the 75% off x-mas clearance, and picked up a 6 1/2 foot artificial tree for only $12.50. This way next year we can have our 'classy' tree and I will have a 100% SW tree

Lowly Bantha Cleaner
01-04-2004, 10:46 PM
A little bit late, but here I loaded up a picture of our Christmas Village before it was taken down. Notice the green tablecloth that lies underneath, I think it detracts from the winter landscape, but I lost out on my argument and we've kept it for qutie some time.

Kidhuman
01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
NIce, I love little villages. I needed to get a pic of mine but didnt. Maybe next year