PDA

View Full Version : I met and interviewed our Hasbro rep at Target today

Tycho
12-04-2003, 08:09 PM
There she was. The lady in the green-blue Hasbro vest that I see every so-often at my Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, too.

So I ask, "Where are my 12" Yoda, Ewoks, and the Clone Trooper 3-packs (this Target has NEVER had them)?"

"And where are my Deluxe Riekeen and Wampa figures?"

The stores in San Diego are just not getting this stuff. I am hunting.

The Hasbro rep said she too was surprised, but she's noticed a lack of SW stuff getting to stores in the San Diego area.

This sucks. What's going on?

Turbowars
12-04-2003, 08:25 PM
There she was. The lady in the green-blue Hasbro vest that I see every so-often at my Toys R Us or Wal-Mart, too.

So I ask, "Where are my 12" Yoda, Ewoks, and the Clone Trooper 3-packs (this Target has NEVER had them)?"

"And where are my Deluxe Riekeen and Wampa figures?"

The stores in San Diego are just not getting this stuff. I am hunting.

The Hasbro rep said she too was surprised, but she's noticed a lack of SW stuff getting to stores in the San Diego area.

This sucks. What's going on?Not much of an interview. I think we, collectors know way more than the reps do. The net gives us all the info we need. We know whats coming and when. The Rep it there to see if the boxes are put straight on the shelves and that's about it.:)

Beast
12-04-2003, 08:35 PM
Agreed. Those reps know jack and squat, and jack left town. Hell, when I used to carry around a Tomart's Action Figure magazine with me when I went shopping, they never even heard of or saw the new stuff that was coming out. Or that was even already out. I don't know why she's suprised, the damn stores slit their throat on E2 merchandise, just like they did on E1 merchandise. They over-ordered, then couldn't sell everything that was ordered. And then the collectors who were buying the line, suffered trying to find the stuff. Because the stores weren't ordering new stuff, to fill demand. They'll do the same damn thing in 2005, and we'll have a hell of a time finding anything in late 2005/2006 again. Vicious cycle. :(

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
12-04-2003, 09:17 PM
I think Hasbro overproduced or overshipped the 2002 line in that regard. However, I'm not sure that is true:

There is little or nothing from this list on the shelves except for KB maybe:

2002 Star Wars Saga Checklist:
[#01] Anakin Skywalker: Outland Peasant Disguise (C1)
[#02] Padmé Amidala: Arena Escape (C1)
[#03] Obi-Wan Kenobi: Coruscant Chase (C1)
[#04] C-3PO: Protocal Droid (C1)
[#05] Kit Fisto: Jedi Master (C1)
[#06] Super Battle Droid (C1)
[#07] Boba Fett: Kamino Escape (C2)
[#08] Tusken Raider: Female w/ Child (C2)
[#09] Captain Typho: Padmé's Head of Security (C2)
[#10] Shaak Ti: Jedi Master (C2)
[#11] Battle Droid: Arena Battle (Cream) (C2)
[#11] Battle Droid: Arena Battle (Red) (C2) TARGET MOSTLY
[#12] Plo Koon: Arena Battle (C2)
[#13] Jango Fett: Kamino Escape (C1)
[#14] R2-D2: Coruscant Sentry (C1)
[#15] Geonosian Warrior (C2)
[#16] Dexter Jettster: Coruscant Informant (C2) TARGET
[#17] Clone Trooper (Red) (C1) TARGET
[#18] Zam Wesell: Bounty Hunter (C1) TARGET
[#19] Royal Guard: Coruscant Security (C2) TARGET
[#20] Saesee Tiin: Jedi Master (C2)
[#21] Nikto: Jedi Knight (C2)
[#22] Anakin Skywalker: Hangar Duel (C1)
[#23] Yoda: Jedi Master (C1)
[#24] Jar Jar Binks: Gungan Senator (C2)
[#25] Taun We: Kamino Cloner (C2) WALMART, TARGET
[#26] Luminara Unduli: Jedi Master (C2)
[#27] Count Dooku: Dark Lord (C1)
[#28] Mace Windu: Geonosian Rescue (C1)
[#29] Luke Skywalker: Bespin Duel (C1)
[#30] Darth Vader: Bespin Duel (C1)
[#31] Jango Fett: Final Battle (C1)
[#32] Qui-Gon Jinn: Jedi Master (C2)
[#33] Endor Rebel Soldier (Goatee) (C2) WALMART, TARGET
[#33] Endor Rebel Soldier (No Goatee) (C2)
[#34] Massif w/ Geonosian Handler (C2)
[#35] Orn Fre Taa: Ryloth Senator (C2) TARGET, WALMART
[#36] Obi-Wan Kenobi: Jedi Starfighter Pilot (C1)
[#37] Han Solo: Endor Raid (C1)
[#38] Chewbacca: Cloud City Capture (C1)
[#39] Supreme Chancellor Palpatine (C2)
[#40] Djas Puhr: Alien Bounty Hunter (C2)
[#41] Padme Amidala: Coruscant Attack (C1)
[#42] Darth Maul: Sith Training (C1)
[#43] Anakin Skywalker: Tatooine Attack (C1)
[#44] Ki-Adi-Mundi: Jedi Master (C2)
[#45] Ephant Mon: Jabba's Head of Security (C2)
[#46] Teemto Pagalies: Pod Racer (C2) TARGET, WALMART
[#47] Jango Fett: Slave 1 Pilot (C1)
[#48] Destroyer Droid: Geonosis Battle (C1)
[#49] Clonetrooper: Republic Gunship Pilot (C1)
[#50] Watto: Mos Espa Junk Dealer (C2) TARGET WALMART
[#51] Lott Dod: Neimodian Senator (C2) TARGET WALMART
[#52] Tusken Raider w/ Massiff (C2) TARGET WALMART
[#53] Yoda: Jedi High Council (C1)
[#54] Rebel Trooper: Tantive IV Defender (Head Sculpt 2)(C2)
[#54] Rebel Trooper: Tantive IV Defender (Head Sculpt 3)(C2)
[#55] Imperial Officer (Head Sculpt 2)(C2)
[#55] Imperial Officer (Head Sculpt 3)(C2)
[#56] Eeth Koth: Jedi Master (C2)
[#57] Teebo(C2)

Beast
12-04-2003, 09:21 PM
That's cause Hasbro agreed to take a lot of it back, several months after the figures came out. Which is why you don't see a lot of the really early figures pegwarming anymore. :)

MTFBWY and HH!!

Jar Jar Binks

Tycho
12-04-2003, 09:23 PM
As to 2003, this is what's on the racks:

2003 Star Wars Saga Checklist:
[#01] Obi-Wan Kenobi: Acklay Battle
[#02] Mace Windu: Arena Confrontation
[#03] Darth Tyranus: Geonosian Escape
[#04] Padmé Amidala: Droid Factory Chase
[#05] SP-4 & JN-66 (Research Droids 2-Pack)
[#06] Tusken Raider: Tatooine Camp Ambush
[#07] Anakin Skywalker: Secret Ceremony
[#08] Boba Fett: Pit of Carkoon
[#09] R2-D2: Droid Factory Flight
[#10] Lama Su: Kamino Prime Minister w/ Clone Child
[#11] Aayla Secura: Jedi Knight TARGET
[#12] Barriss Offee: Luminara Unduli's Padawan TARGET
[#13] Han Solo: Hoth Rescue - (Brown Coat)
[#13] Han Solo: Hoth Rescue - (Blue Coat)
[#14] Chewbacca: Mynock Hunt
[#15] Yoda & Chian: Padawan Lightsaber Training TARGET
[#16] Ashla & Jempa: Jedi Padawan 2-Pack TARGET
[#17] Luke Skywalker: Throne Room Duel
[#18] Darth Vader: Throne Room Duel
[#19] SnowTrooper: The Battle of Hoth
[#20] Jango Fett: Kamino Escape (Saga Jango: Kamino Repack)
[#21] C-3PO: Tatooine Ambush (Flashback (Removable Arm) C-3PO Repack)
[#22] Padmé Amidala: Secret Ceremony TARGET
[#23] Wat Tambor: Geonosis War Room TARGET
[#24] Coleman Trebor: Battle Of Geonosis
[#25] Darth Maul: Theed Hanger Duel (POTJ Masters of the Darkside Maul Repack)
[#26] Princess Leia Organa: Imperial Captive (POTF2 Leia (New Likness) Repack) TARGET
[#27] Han Solo: Flight to Alderaan (POTF2 Commtech Han Repack) TARGET
[#28] WA-7: Dexter’s Diner TARGET
[#29] Lt. Dannl Faytonni: Coruscant Outlander Club TARGET
[#30] The Emperor: Throne Room
[#31] Luke Skywalker: Tatooine Encounter (POTF2 Commtech Luke Repack)
[#32] Darth Vader: Death Star Clash (POTJ Masters of the Darkside Vader Repack)
[#33] BAIL ORGANA: Alderaan Senator
[#34] MCQUARRIE CONCEPT STORMTROOPER: Fan's Choice #4
[#35] IMPERIAL DIGNITARY (Janus Greejatus): Death Star Procession
[#36] PADMÉ AMIDALA: Lars' Homestead
[#37] Achk Med-Beq: Coruscant Outlander Club
[#38] AYY VIDA - Outlander Nightclub Patron
[#39] OBI-WAN KENOBI - Outlander Nightclub Encounter
[#40] ELAN SLEAZEBAGGANO - Outlander Nightclub Encounter
[#41] IMPERIAL DIGNITARY (Kren Blista-Vanee): Death Star Procession
[#42] Anakin Skywalker (Clone Wars) TARGET, WALMART, TRU
[#43] ARC Clone Trooper (Clone Wars)
[#44] Yoda (Clone Wars) TARGET, WALMART, TRU
[#45] Obi-Wan Kenobi (Clone Wars)
[#46] Durge (Clone Wars)
[#47] Asajj Ventress (Clone Wars)
[#48] Mace Windu (Clone Wars)
[#49] Kit Fisto (Clone Wars)
[#50] Super Articulated CloneTrooper (Clone Wars)
[#51] Seasee Tiin (Clone Wars)

kool-aid killer
12-04-2003, 09:33 PM
I once seen a Hasbro rep at a nearby Walmart and briefly considered asking her about the Star Wars line, but i thought better of it and figured she wouldnt know much (if any at all) more than i did. So i left her alone.

Tycho
12-04-2003, 09:36 PM
I guess the figures are cycling pretty good.

I don't know if we'll see SaeSee, Kit, and the SA Clone Trooper this year though.

I've got all the Saga figures (mostly at Target) except for Ack-Med Behq, and the 2nd Imperial Dignitary.

The pegs are not so full of Secret Ceremony Padmes that there isn't room for them, but I think the Republic Officers and Kit and SaeSee may pegwarm a little.

Heaven forbid they keep shipping CW Yoda! :rolleyes:

But people want the ARC Troopers, so I'd suggest putting them in the case with the SA Clones and Kit and SaeSee. The only thing is, I'd rather see straight cases of a figure like the SA Clone. That'd be the intelligent thing to do.

However, if Bail Organa etc. are continuing to sell so well that they can't keep them in stock, they'll order more.

The purchasers and distributors don't see it as we've sold "x amount" of Bail Organa figures. They don't know who he is most likely. Yet there's got to be some saturation point on him, and the Imperial Dignitaries as well. Padme Tatooine will probably sell so long as she's painted well. That's a quality control issue there. She's not quite Slave Leia, but she's as close as we'll get with Padme (so to speak).

But the computers, SMART systems, or whatever say "we've sold "x amount" of SW figures, and we need to order more.

Hasbro will then try and force feed them as many Bail Organas and Imperial Dignitaries as their corporate wants to see their profits will hold out for -regardless of whether there will be space for their stores to take the next wave with Luke Hoth or the SA Clone, etc.

The stores interpret this as lack of demand for SW figures. Huh! We know better.

We see it as unrealistic projections for particular figure runs (like Bail or the Dignitary versus say the SA Clone) and forced shipping to retailers that's unrealistic given the market.

If there were less of something, look at how we'd all clamor for it: the bonus Clone Trooper packs - case example. Ephant Mon, another one. Gradually getting out more will push the envelope for the profits on those items, and might even help them reach their projections for say, Elan Sleezebagano.

I can only hope they learn and ship realistically, as well as run their projections realistically.

I wish I had Riekeen and the wampa.....

Hellboy
12-04-2003, 10:25 PM
I've met and talked with my local rep. on several occasions. The last time I talked with her I was looking for a 2nd part-time job for some extra cash, so I asked if they were hiring. She said they were looking for someone to replace her in a month or so, gave me her supervisors card, and briefly described what her job consisted of. Basically they're merchandisers that go to their accounts to work out the store's backstock to the shelves and set up promotional pieces. She carried a binder with all the Hasbro items that were to be released in the coming months with release dates and item #'s but no pictures for reference. She didn't have any detailed knowledge of the products themselves and told me that Hasbro didn't like hiring collectors so I should keep that to myself when inquiring about a job. In the end I did have the oppportuntiy to take the position but chose not to because it conflicted with my primary job. Personally I wouldn't put much weight in what they have to say because they seem to be just as confused as the rest of us when it comes to the distribution and aren't required to posses any detailed knowledge of the products they're merchandising.

darthzirock
12-05-2003, 11:51 PM
Actually, I know for a fact it was her. She was putting out a bunch of board games over in the games aisle. I was just about to ask her if I could ask her a few brief questions when the TRU employee helping her turned to her and said, "It's noon, I've got to go to lunch now. Sorry." So, seeing as she was now going to have to stock shelves by herself, I decided not to bug her.

And yet, it appears I got as much info out of my Hasbro rep by not asking her anything as Tycho did by talking to his Hasbro rep! :crazed:

Jargo
12-06-2003, 05:17 PM
Stores didn't over order, Hasbro insisted that stores take a massive amount of stock as a minimum order. Stores didn't have a say in what stock arrived because Hasbro won't supply stores on a pick and choose basis. Stores are held over a barrel by hasbro. If they want the goods consumers are asking for they have to accept the Hasbro ransom terms.

Stores are supplied by X amount of cases. They don't have the time to sift through lord knows how many pallets of stuff to pick out so many cases of new stuff for X store. A store just gets what's first off the pile and if that means more of what they already have then tough, that's the way it goes.
Logic would tell you that chainstores within a city limit would talk to each other and arrange stock exchanges on stuff that they're swamped with to balance out the spread of stock but that means arranging transportation and stores don't have their own transports.
Ultimately, everyone but hasbro loses out. They've sold x amount of pallets and are happily banking the cash while stores struggle with either no stock because they sold out on their sixty cases of the good stuff or stores are swamped with sixty cases of stuff no-one wants.

But it's no good yelling at the stores when it's ultimately hasbro's fault. And especially their fault when they don't hardly advertise the release of new stocks into the retail jetstream. How can reps know what's around if Hasbro can't even arrange coherent communications between departments of their own company. Frankly I'm amazed they even manage to get anything out to retail at all.

Tycho
12-06-2003, 07:58 PM
Emperor Jargo makes a lot of sense.

However, wouldn't it be nice if local retail stores did care enough to have transports and distribute their stock better?

Usually, they'll do the "I'll call another store for the customer thing" to solve that problem.

Does it?